Dueling in gw2! Remember?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MrPhazon.1370

MrPhazon.1370

Hey we almost forgot about dueling!
Will this feature ever be implented? Are there any plans for duels ingame now that more than a year has passed?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think dueling is for spvp and wvw (all though wvw is a bit harder to get a good duel with ppl you know may be added in a system to let ppl changes sides say in OS). I think the ideal is to keep spvp wvw and pve all in there own zones.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

The problem with dueling is, it wont be skill based or competitive.
Because the player who has the best PvE gear and access to all traits and skills will have an advantage to change tactics against the player who doesn’t.

Most people I know who take PvP seriously wont duel anyways, unless it’s in the sPvP arena where all players are truly equal in terms of having access to everything they need to strategies against their opponent.

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Because the player who has the best PvE gear and access to all traits and skills will have an advantage to change tactics against the player who doesn’t.

Most people I know who take PvP seriously wont duel anyways, unless it’s in the sPvP arena where all players are truly equal in terms of having access to everything they need to strategies against their opponent.

You make it sound like getting access to all traits and skills is hard o_O

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

If they add it, they need to add a feature so I can auto decline all duels. If I wanna duel I will join WvWvW or sPvP. Not in my open world please.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

^-^ My bad…
What I’m trying to say is, most PvP players I know only care about competitive PvP in equal grounds that they wont care about getting all that stuff from PvE in the first place. It can be very hard for a PvP player to play PvE contents he/she does not enjoy.

There for, dueling already happens in t-PvP arenas because of the accessibility to get right into the game rather than having to play contents you might not like just to do one that you do.

Not sure if that helped clear what I was saying or not.

Edit: And the fact that anyone can do that, kinda means it’s pointless to add dueling, is what Im getting at.

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

hey i love these threads! Watch as forum-goers perform daring feats of mental gymnastics to justify why dueling would be unsuitable for GW2 and why no one wants it!

+1 I would love for open world duels to be added. I would also love to see particle effects be fixed and all the other issues people have been complaining about since release. But at this point i’ve learned to keep my head down and keep checking achievements off the list like the game is intended to be played.

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

^-^ My bad…
What I’m trying to say is, most PvP players I know only care about competitive PvP in equal grounds that they wont care about getting all that stuff from PvE in the first place. It can be very hard for a PvP player to play PvE contents he/she does not enjoy.

There for, dueling already happens in t-PvP arenas because of the accessibility to get right into the game rather than having to play contents you might not like just to do one that you do.

Not sure if that helped clear what I was saying or not.

Edit: And the fact that anyone can do that, kinda means it’s pointless to add dueling, is what Im getting at.

+1 I like how you were friendly

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Scrambles.2604

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

Well there is actually no good reason to not have the option of duels. People who don’t want / need this feature will probably never even notice it’s there. However, it looks like either not enough people actually want it or the demanding masses are busy with more serious stuff.
Chances are this topic will get ignored to death and then burried.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

im for dueling since day 1 and all iv get so far is pay us whit gems so we allow u to duel in s PVP whic i totaly and aboslity hate from the bottom of my hearth

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Whelp… wild guess… if it has been brought up multiple times, and each time it isn’t even deemed worthy of a response by the powers that be… what do you think that should tell you?

Oh… that tells you to bring it up AGAIN? Oh. Okay then. Makes sense…

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

There is a very good reason as to why there is no dueling in the game.

The game is balanced around 5v5 not 1v1.
Dueling would lead to massive amounts of threads with people whining about how X is much better than Y and how it is impossible to defeat A with B and so on.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Except it is against the forums rules to create duplicate threads no matter how old they are. If your going to create a duplicate thread knowing it will me merged, then you should be posting in the merged thread in the first place. As to seeing “whats up” nothing has changed since release, no matter how many threads are made, the responses are still the same. You know what they say, asking the same question over and over again and expecting a different answer is a sign of insanity.

Escadin.9482

You know what they say, asking the same question over and over again and expecting a different answer is a sign of insanity.

So many insane people... I blame the chemicals…

Dueling would lead to massive amounts of threads with people whining about how X is much better than Y and how it is impossible to defeat A with B and so on.

A) Pretty sure that’s speculation
B) We already have massive amounts of X is better than Y. Nothing to lose.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Hopefully not.

The last thing a game needs is 12yo kids spreading the "1v1 me I #rekt you m8" around.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

We already have dueling in this game. Holy kitten keep up.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I hope open world dueling NEVER happens, in its own arena is kewl.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Scrambles.2604

Whelp… wild guess… if it has been brought up multiple times, and each time it isn’t even deemed worthy of a response by the powers that be… what do you think that should tell you?

Colin Johanson mentions adding open world duels in this interview…it really couldn’t be a more straightforward answer either, haha. He says it at 14:11, the link wont start at that time for some reason.

(edited by Scrambles.2604)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Colin Johanson mentions adding open world duels in this interview…it really couldn’t be a more straightforward answer either, haha. He says it at 14:11, the link wont start at that time for some reason.

Thank You for that.

Pretty solid indication that it is something on ANet’s to do list, even if not at the top of the list. People who are interested in open world dueling should maintain some degree of presence, through forum posts and the like, to show that desire for the feature has not faded.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

Man what the heck, A-Net adds quaggan tonics after 1 thread discussing about it, but doesn’t add dueling after several threads since release. :C

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Man what the heck, A-Net adds quaggan tonics after 1 thread discussing about it, but doesn’t add dueling after several threads since release. :C

Because the threads discussing it have more people who do not want it then do. The majority of players responding have said they do not want open world dueling and as long as we keep letting the devs know we do not want it hopefully we never will. That’s the one good thing about these never ending threads, they actually help to keep dueling away.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Listen to it again he very well says “SOME DAY we would like to see it” but NOTHING definitive was said about it. So haha back atcha.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

(edited by Im Mudbone.1437)

Scrambles.2604

Listen to it again he very well says “SOME DAY we would like to see it” but NOTHING definitive was said about it. So haha back atcha.

What else can you take away from that? He says it is a feature he “would like to add some day” but apparently has no specific or current plans to do so. I imagine adding dueling would take a good amount of effort.

He also acknowledges that you can do it in a round about way through custom arenas, but calls it “awkward.” Why else would he call it awkward unless he recognizes its not an optimal feature than can use improving??

Why do you care if open world dueling gets implemented? No one’s going to force you to duel if you don’t want to, jeez.

(edited by Scrambles.2604)

Posted by: Jajuju.6970

Jajuju.6970

hey i love these threads! Watch as forum-goers perform daring feats of mental gymnastics to justify why dueling would be unsuitable for GW2 and why no one wants it!

+1 I would love for open world duels to be added. I would also love to see particle effects be fixed and all the other issues people have been complaining about since release. But at this point i’ve learned to keep my head down and keep checking achievements off the list like the game is intended to be played.

Hear, hear!

In for duels.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

If they add it, they need to add a feature so I can auto decline all duels. If I wanna duel I will join WvWvW or sPvP. Not in my open world please.

Open world is the best place for duels! Instead of a Decline option, how about a check box in options, same area as AE loot option etc.. this way no annoying windows for the players who don’t want to be bothered w/the request of a duel in the open world.

GW2 has too many great spots in the open world for fight clubs.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Posted by: lazycalm.5186

lazycalm.5186

+1 for enabling duels

Posted by: Zabrios.6079

Zabrios.6079

They also said that in GW2 there wouldn’t be a gear treadmill, and there you have it.

“haha back atcha”

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

The game isnt balanced around any given number. So excuses like that make no sense. Dueling is a 1v1 thing. Let the people who want to duel in pve. Who ever dosent give them an auto decline setting. Simple. Everyone one gets what they want.

lordkrall.7241

The game isnt balanced around any given number. So excuses like that make no sense. Dueling is a 1v1 thing. Let the people who want to duel in pve. Who ever dosent give them an auto decline setting. Simple. Everyone one gets what they want.

Actually they have stated multiple times that the game is balanced around 5 players.

Why else do you think Dungeons are 5 players?
Or tournament-sPvP?

And no, not everyone gets what they want.
Adding a system like that WILL lead to people whining about how everything is unbalanced (this already happens when people try to fight 1v1 btw) and that will fill up the forums with threads demanding nerfs, which will take time from the devs that could be used for something useful instead.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

there is no good reason to put it in the open world, if you want duels then it should stay in a duel arena, not somewhere where whiny kids can spam and troll the heck out of players.

really, ppl whine that they don’t want things like any other MMO but the moment ppl talk about duels, the one thing that ruins any PvE experience, it’s all yay saying.
i say, IF duels are in the game, let’s go all the way and add mounts while we’re at it.
you want one thing, accept the other, not “one thing but not the other”.

Posted by: darkvise.3197

darkvise.3197

i can’t wait to report all the verbal abuse

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Oh here we go…..

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Dark FQ.1038

Dark FQ.1038

I want duelling

Dark Fq (Desolation and Gandara)all classes condi. http://www.youtube.com/user/FQDark

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Dueling has been in the game for quite awhile now, so go for it. Thankfully, they have not added it to open world PvE so far. Since it’s such a bad idea, no doubt this is something they will undoubtedly add to the open world at some point in the future.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

The only reason why I would oppose duelling is because then we will never have seperate balance between pvp and pve (like gw1 used to have) I’m still hoping GW2 will have this someday (some skills/traits already have).
But if PvE balance would not be changed for the sake of duelling, I don’t mind.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

It seems rather obvious why they haven’t added dueling into the game.

It would distract from the actual pvp content already in game. And in terms of translation, duels in pve gear would translate poorly to tpvp. Which is where you are more likely to encounter 1v1 matchups.

While dueling would be a neat gimmick, they likely think that it would unnecessarily split the pvp audience.

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

What’s up with all the negative nancies saying that dueling is a bad idea?

Are you honestly refusing a potential new feature? No matter how many times it’s been discussed, it’s been discussed that much because people WANT it.

Unbelievable really. The amount of people resorting to the most unrealistic and far fetched reasons to not have duels astounds me.

Dueling is a must-have feature in every mmo and its primary objective is fun only. It’s like another activity to do, but here the ever-so-bright casual pve masters think that a new metagame or pvp scene will develop from it lmfao. Too funny.

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

Posted by: Hidden.3975

Hidden.3975

Only in GW2 have I seen people against dueling the world. I don’t know if it’s because this game as a much more casual gamer that is afraid of any form of combat or what, but dueling in the world doesn’t hurt you.

I love dueling as I level, meeting in different areas of the world and dueling others. It’s awesome hosting tourneys in one zone, then next week another and so on, it’s nice to meet others and get some friendly duels going, sure give players an auto-decline if that helps, but a feature that encourages players to come together in the world, socialize and have fun, and players are against it? Go back to single player games with their boring static NPCs, some of us want our world to have spontanious gatherings, whether that’s dueling or even hang outs.

I agree with has been said, it’s shocking in 2014 we don’t have dueling, especially in a game that has been out since 2012. Even just dropping a dueling map would be awesome if that’s all that can be done with spectators.

Oh, and Anet, anyone who states dueling is pointless because of PvE gear doesn’t know what they are talking about, and don’t recognize what dueling is all about. Hate to break it to you Casuals.

TH

lordkrall.7241

Are you honestly refusing a potential new feature? No matter how many times it’s been discussed, it’s been discussed that much because people WANT it.

Yes, people don’t want it because it WILL effect the rest of the game. Either in terms of balance, or in terms of actual concerns being buried beneath a massive flood of duel-related whining.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Razor.6392

Yes, people don’t want it because it WILL effect the rest of the game. Either in terms of balance, or in terms of actual concerns being buried beneath a massive flood of duel-related whining.

How do you even live your everyday life with all these delusions inside your head? Just what evidence do you have to justify any of this?

Smh. Dem casual pve warriors.

Level 60 pvp

Escadin.9482

I see duels as a sparring mode. You can test and train new combos, check out some damagenumbers on targets in full and realistic armor, including crits and conditions unlike those targetdummies.
The second use is for pure fun. How would it hurt anyone in this thread if I had a chance to duel my brother? Duels have never ruined anything in any game. There is nothing you can win or lose in a duel and nothing forces you to participate.
It’s really embarassing to see so many people actively fighting a feature- a toy- that by any means could never harm them. This is already like a religious thing. “We don’t want gays, because reasons! Deal with it!”

there is no good reason to put it in the open world, if you want duels then it should stay in a duel arena, not somewhere where whiny kids can spam and troll the heck out of players.

really, ppl whine that they don’t want things like any other MMO but the moment ppl talk about duels, the one thing that ruins any PvE experience, it’s all yay saying.
i say, IF duels are in the game, let’s go all the way and add mounts while we’re at it.

What a fine logic. First of all, if you don’t want to meet trolls better quit the internet. And then why stop there? Let’s drop dungeons, gear, stats and WvW. Omg almost every MMO has professions and skills, even hostile NPCs! that’s way to mainstream!! Your “point” boils down to “either copy every single detail or open a new genre”.

That kind of reasoning really fits a whiny kid who spams and trolls people.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

How do you even live your everyday life with all these delusions inside your head? Just what evidence do you have to justify any of this?

One concern some against dueling have is how the dueling crowd will behave in the PvE environment. You certainly are not helping your cause with your attitude in this thread.

The Burninator

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

No thank you.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I remember a dev (Colin I think?) saying in an interview that dueling was on the “to-do” list, but with a pretty low priority.

But nice attempt at demeaning someone for wanting something you don’t like

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Razor.6392

I see duels as a sparring mode. You can test and train new combos, check out some damagenumbers on targets in full and realistic armor, including crits and conditions unlike those targetdummies.
The second use is for pure fun. How would it hurt anyone in this thread if I had a chance to duel my brother? Duels have never ruined anything in any game. There is nothing you can win or lose in a duel and nothing forces you to participate.
It’s really embarassing to see so many people actively fighting a feature- a toy- that by any means could never harm them. This is already like a religious thing. “We don’t want gays, because reasons! Deal with it!”

What a fine logic. First of all, if you don’t want to meet trolls better quit the internet. And then why stop there? Let’s drop dungeons, gear, stats and WvW. Omg almost every MMO has professions and skills, even hostile NPCs! that’s way to mainstream!! Your “point” boils down to “either copy every single detail or open a new genre”.

That kind of reasoning really fits a whiny kid who spams and trolls people.

I’m still shocked that some people are actually against it. In 2012 and even 2013 people loved the idea and supported it massively, to this day I’m still waiting for the day that they implement it.

But now? Is this the new generation of gw2 players? The person you quoted sounds like the guy that joins a zerk only speedrun with his rampager rares and then whine because “trolls” kicked him asap. It’s really sad to see people frown upon cool features because of contrived and weird reasons that don’t even make sense.

Dueling in the open world to me is nothing more than a fun way to kill some time, to sit in weird places and fight it out while the 5th guy is on his way to CoF, or to try out some skirmishes before x world boss spawns, nothing important or serious. Leave those for the mists.

It must be painful to imagine how much these people must’ve been “trolled” by others in the past to outright refuse content where there’s a slight possibility of it happening again. Using that logic any new content would be a big NO since you can always get affected in some way!

No more new dungeons, there’s a risk of a guy kicking everyone at the end and ‘trolling’!
No more complex boss fights, some guy might screw it up purposefully!
No more LS, some guy will spoil it for everyone on release days!
No more new weapons, some guy might dump all his gold on them and proceed to control the market!

Level 60 pvp

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

No more new dungeons, there’s a risk of a guy kicking everyone at the end and ‘trolling’!
No more complex boss fights, some guy might screw it up purposefully!
No more LS, some guy will spoil it for everyone on release days!
No more new weapons, some guy might dump all his gold on them and proceed to control the market!

GW2’s forums in a nutshell.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Razor.6392

One concern some against dueling have is how the dueling crowd will behave in the PvE environment. You certainly are not helping your cause with your attitude in this thread.

Do you think the sPvP people will abandon the mists to go duel exclusively in the open world? Do you think the people that do WvW will do the same?

“Dueling crowd”? what?

Sorry if I don’t help my cause when you guys just keep spamming nonsense. None of this has any evidence of it happening. I could say that introducing new fractals could somehow ruin the whole thing and try to sound serious about it, but in the end it would still be nonsense.

PS: You can always decline by the way.

Level 60 pvp

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028