Expansion Thread [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

My apologies, but speculation and ‘reading between the lines’ isn’t proof nor evidence to a counter-argument.

I’ve provided proof their president said the opposite of what you’re hoping to hear. If anyone would like to provide proof for the opposite argument, I’m all ears.

Otherwise, all you guys have got is wishful thinking.

No you didn’t. That quote you posted did not say ‘never’.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

My apologies, but speculation and ‘reading between the lines’ isn’t proof nor evidence to a counter-argument.

I’ve provided proof their president said the opposite of what you’re hoping to hear. If anyone would like to provide proof for the opposite argument, I’m all ears.

No you didn’t. That quote you posted did not say ‘never’.

It was also made 1 and a half year ago, when Colin had already stated that they were having teams working on secret projects. So something was already underway, and all Mike said was that they were not “focusing” on an expansion yet (which is PR speak to say: “don’t think about it now”).

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

hate to bring this up but i know they have been saying they have been working on something big for a long time now…

what if its…

LS season 1 but re-playable
i mean it would make sense they did say they were working on it

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

It’s like you guys aren’t even trying. This is from March of last year. Another voice, outside their president, confirms:

No Guild Wars II expansions are currently in development, game director Colin Johanson explained to IGN, noting this may not always be the case.

“Expansions are definitely something that we’ll potentially look at in the future,” Johanson said. “We don’t have a timetable on it. We’re open to it, but I think our major focus as a studio is making the living world concept as strong as possibly can for the players that we’ve got.”

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-guild-wars-ii-expansions-in-development/1100-6404829/

This is like watching you guys lose it because someone told you Santa Claus doesn’t exist. Seriously, show us quotes or proof of an expansion in the works and near release for 2015.

Otherwise, you’re kidding yourselves.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

It’s like you guys aren’t even trying. This is from March of last year. Another voice, outside their president, confirms:

No Guild Wars II expansions are currently in development, game director Colin Johanson explained to IGN, noting this may not always be the case.

“Expansions are definitely something that we’ll potentially look at in the future,” Johanson said. “We don’t have a timetable on it. We’re open to it, but I think our major focus as a studio is making the living world concept as strong as possibly can for the players that we’ve got.”

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-guild-wars-ii-expansions-in-development/1100-6404829/

This is like watching you guys lose it because someone told you Santa Claus doesn’t exist. Seriously, show us quotes or proof of an expansion in the works and near release for 2015.

I will save the facepalm for the expansion announcement. I quote you at that time. If it doesn’t come, I will make a thread mentioning that I was stupid and you were right.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

It like you guys aren’t even trying. This is from March of last year. Another voice, outside their president, confirms:

But they were already working on secret projects by then. It’s perfectly possible that those projects might have been converted into full-blown expansions in the meantime, especially when Colin later said they were still unaware if their expansion-worthy content would be released in expansion format or not.

Also, the LW team consists of about 20 people. Anet has over 300 employers. Can we call that a “major focus of the studio”? It is not.

I’m not saying that there will be an expansion next year. And we certainly don’t know if their secret projects will be released in expansion format or not. But it’s clear that they are working on something big.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Here’s more proof from the lead designer:

Guild Wars 2 developers have revealed what many players had begun to suspect – a Guild Wars 2 expansion is unlikely to ever be released.

In an interview with Eurogamer, Guild Wars 2‘s lead content designer Mike Zadorojny confirmed that there would be no Guild Wars 2 expansions released in 2013 or 2014.

ArenaNet’s original plans for the fantasy MMO were to release content in a similar way to the original game, with larger expansions supplemented by temporary ‘Living World’ content, underlining the dynamic nature of the sequel.

However, the success of the Living World means that ArenaNet have taken a step back from expansions.

“So right now we’re not really looking at expansions as an option,” Zadorojny told Eurogamer. “It’s something that’s on the table but it’s not something we’re focused on, because what we want to do is – our idea here is that with Living World, we can do what expansions would have done but do it on a more regular basis.”

http://www.hypable.com/2013/07/03/guild-wars-2-expansion/

Again, remember, an expansion takes time. Even if they started now, don’t expect to see anything until 2016 at best. And, even then, it looks unlikely given their focus on the Living Story. After all, there are at least four other dragons to go.

I’ve quoted three separate people who have all said the same thing. And the counter-proof? We’re still waiting. But I got a lovely threat of “I told you so,” waiting in my future.

Which is always nice.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I never said it was proof. But saying they haven’t said anything isn’t proof of anything either. There’s no “proof” either way.

There are circumstances that lead me to believe something big is being worked on and not one single person can explain where all those other employees have been. So you can say we have no proof. I can say you have no proof.

Which is why it’s called speculation. lol

Vayne.8563

hate to bring this up but i know they have been saying they have been working on something big for a long time now…

what if its…

LS season 1 but re-playable
i mean it would make sense they did say they were working on it

Except that they said they weren’t working on that after they said they were working on big projects.

Vayne.8563

Here’s more proof from the lead designer:

Guild Wars 2 developers have revealed what many players had begun to suspect – a Guild Wars 2 expansion is unlikely to ever be released.

In an interview with Eurogamer, Guild Wars 2‘s lead content designer Mike Zadorojny confirmed that there would be no Guild Wars 2 expansions released in 2013 or 2014.

ArenaNet’s original plans for the fantasy MMO were to release content in a similar way to the original game, with larger expansions supplemented by temporary ‘Living World’ content, underlining the dynamic nature of the sequel.

However, the success of the Living World means that ArenaNet have taken a step back from expansions.

“So right now we’re not really looking at expansions as an option,” Zadorojny told Eurogamer. “It’s something that’s on the table but it’s not something we’re focused on, because what we want to do is – our idea here is that with Living World, we can do what expansions would have done but do it on a more regular basis.”

http://www.hypable.com/2013/07/03/guild-wars-2-expansion/

Again, remember, an expansion takes time. Even if they started now, don’t expect to see anything until 2016 at best. And, even then, it looks unlikely given their focus on the Living Story. After all, there are at least four other dragons to go.

I’ve quoted three separate people who have all said the same thing. And the counter-proof? Still waiting with threats of “I told you so,” in my future.

Sorry folks.

Talk to me after April.

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

How about we all stop talking down to each other with “proof” that one thing or another is going to happen. Unless you are on the development team, you really have no idea what they are working on. Maybe they are playing semantics too. Maybe it won’t be a traditional “expansion” and they label what they’ve been working on something entirely different. (i.e. a large “living story”) update. There’s really no point in arguing all of this purely speculative nonsense.

The topic is “what if there is no expansion.” Not “prove to me that there won’t be an expansion.” Remember Factions and Nightfall? Both released in the same year.

To actually address the topic, if there isn’t a large influx of new content released in the next year whether it is by expansion or DLC or whatever it may be, I will likely get bored and stop playing.

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.

Ardenwolfe.8590

So you can say we have no proof. I can say you have no proof.

Three separate people working for Arena Net, the president, the lead content designer, and the game director all said within the last year or so, and I quote, “There are no plans for an expansion in the near future,” or words that effect.

And you want to call that . . . speculation?

Gone to Reddit.

Goose.8195

Three separate people working for Arena Net, the president, the lead content designer, and the game director all said within the last year or so, and I quote, “There are no plans for an expansion in the near future,” or words that effect.

How many times does a NFL (or any sports team or organization) team say “so and so is not going to be traded” and then the next day he’s gone to another team. Same thing here, why would a company reveal its strategy to the whole world when they’ve been so hush-hush on everything else

Vayne.8563

But it was also said they were working on content you’d traditionally find in an expansion. Which you neglected to quote in trying to prove your point. That’s a very fine line to draw.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

By my calculation they’ve been working on it for almost a year already. That’s how long the big names have been silent for.

This would be a 180-degree turn from Mike O´Briens statement within a few months – so maybe you´re even right?

Naah, I don’t think that’s what Vayne means.
Colin mentioned before that aside from Living Story and Feature patches they are working on huge projects that they are going to introduce in the future. Now assuming he wasn’t lying or exaggerating, they should have something to introduce. He also added, that they weren’t sure as to how they wanted to introduce that content. Meaning, that maybe they never thought about an expansion and may consider new ways to implement the content eventhough, I eprsonally would rather have an expansion IF there is content to be implemented.

That 180º makes sense they always did the oposite of the manifesto " GW2 wont be a game where u keep clicking one skill over and over",actually thats what gw2 is about spam 1 atack combat , so an expansion might be near, joking aside lets just wait if it will be has good has factions or nightfall was in gw1.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Ardenwolfe.8590

That analogy was horrible. We’re not talking something even remotely close to that. We’re talking about something that will take years to create, develop, test and polish. Not something done over a handshake, bidding wars, and a contract.

This circular reasoning and plausible denial is ridiculous.

Can we get a developer here to confirm or deny that an expansion is in the works for the coming year? Or is Living Story, as stated from the three sources, what we will see more of?

Quite frankly, I’m more inclined to believe the people working on the projects than players hoping it will happen to prove some teary-eyed point on a message board.

But, to be fair, I will not be saying ‘I told you so’ to anyone. I would love to see an expansion too, but all sources point to that not happening anytime soon.

Again, sorry.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

How many times does a NFL (or any sports team or organization) team say “so and so is not going to be traded” and then the next day he’s gone to another team. Same thing here, why would a company reveal its strategy to the whole world when they’ve been so hush-hush on everything else

I think the difference is if mmorpg studio actually have expansion soon. They’ll actually tell people that to keep them around.

But to Ardenwolfe, ya they all said they wont’ have an expansion soon “last year”. I’m sure a year have passed and time have changed. So weather it’ll happen is hard to say.

Anet QoQ havn’t been down much. I’m sure they’ll be more in panic mode if it have huge drop.

Usually when a game studio release expansion, they’ll probably give at least half a year ahead announcement. So at least we know most likely we wont’ have an expansion anytime in the next 6 month.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

I dunno. It seems you’re the one not trying or actually really reading the quotes you’re posting.

You’re trying to act as if the quotes you’re posting are definitive “proof” that there will never be an expansion. I’m not going to reread this entire thread again, but I don’t recall anyone trying to offer any proof that there will be an expansion. They just know that anything’s possible since ANet has never completely ruled out an expansion.

Vayne.8563

That analogy was horrible. We’re not talking something even remotely close to that. We’re talking about something that will take years to create, develop, test and polish. Not something done over a handshake, bidding wars, and a contract.

Can we get a developer here to confirm or deny that an expansion is in the works for the coming year? Or is Living Story, as stated from the three sources, what we will see more of?

Quite frankly, I’m more inclined to believe the people working on the projects than players hoping it will happen to prove some teary-eyed point on a message board.

But, to be fair, I will not be saying ‘I told you so’ to anyone. I would love to see an expansion too, but all sources point to that not happening anytime soon.

Again, sorry.

Because the expansion isn’t close, they might well be saving the announcement for the 10 year anniversary celebration. That’s my guess.

nGumball.1283

if Ncsoft says there will be an expansion, Anet will work on one. People seems to forget that the main decision as to how the game will be directed to generate profit are mostly done by production companies, not devs. Anet as a company doesn’t get all these million dollars generated by the game, the profits mostly go to Ncsoft.

The ignorance that the majority of GW2 community have as to how MMOs actually work may seem acceptable as most of them haven’t touched an MMO before or have played GW1 believing it was an MMO. At the end of the day though, try to be understanding of the nature of MMOs, because whatever Anet does, GW2 is still an MMO and it is still owned by a production company that has profits as their first priority.

Ardenwolfe.8590

But to Ardenwolfe, ya they all said they wont’ have an expansion soon “last year”. I’m sure a year have passed and time have changed. So weather it’ll happen is hard to say.

Anet QoQ havn’t been down much. I’m sure they’ll be more in panic mode if it have huge drop.

Usually when a game studio release expansion, they’ll probably give at least half a year ahead announcement. So at least we know most likely we wont’ have an expansion anytime in the next 6 month.

I’m inclined to agree. However, it’s readily apparent that Living Story content, and seasonal content, is the current focus. Also, given the short and sweet nature of these episodes, cliffhangers included, it seems fair to say that they’re trying to go back to the bi-weekly, at least attempts, updates.

Right now, the Jungle Dragon and the Pale Tree is center stage. After that, probably another dragon. So, I’m inclined to believe the developers who say they have no current plans for an expansion based on their own words, their actions, and the proof given with the current releases.

But, if a developer wishes to say otherwise, I’m all ears again.

Gone to Reddit.

laokoko.7403

Because the expansion isn’t close, they might well be saving the announcement for the 10 year anniversary celebration. That’s my guess.

I think you been given people too much false hope.

Like you been hyping how much potential and how good the game will be “last year”.

I’m still enjoying myself at the moment. But you can’t deny there are quite an increasing amount of complaints. (or maybe you’ll just call them vocal minority again).

Goose.8195

Quite frankly, I’m more inclined to people the people working on the projects than players hoping it will happen to prove some teary-eyed point on a message board.

Again, sorry.

I think you grossly underestimate the amount of content a team like Anet can put out in a year. And we aren’t talking they said there would be no release yesterday, and who are you to say there won’t be a giant “living story” update at the end of season 2 that’s released like all of the rest of the content for the past year? Then they wouldn’t be lying about not giving us an expansion, and not needing it to pay the bills…they’d be giving it to us for free.

Do I actually think there will be a traditional expansion? Idk, I’m really not sure, but I guarantee you there is a large amount of content in the pipeline. If there isn’t then they simply don’t want our business anymore.

laokoko.7403

I’m inclined to agree. However, it’s readily apparent that Living Story content, and seasonal content, is the current focus. Also, given the short and sweet nature of these episodes, cliffhangers included, it seems fair to say that trying to go back to the bi-weekly, at least attempts, updates.

Right now, the Jungle Dragon and the Pale Tree is center stage. After that, probably another dragon. So, I’m inclined to believe the developers who say they have no current plans for an expansion based on their own words, their actions, and the proof given with the current releases.

But, if a developer wishes to say otherwise, I’m all ears again.

I’m much more happy in season 1. I suppose because the holiday events is new. And season 2 focus on single player instanced story content. Which isn’t my thing.

If I wanted single player instanced story content, I’ll go player a single player RPG game which I probably will have better enjoyment.

Vayne.8563

Like you been hyping how much potential and how good the game will be “last year”.

I’m still enjoying myself at the moment. But you can’t deny there are quite an increasing amount of complaints. (or maybe you’ll just call them vocal minority again).

You think there are more complaints now than there were when ascended items came out? Because I don’t. There have always been complaints.

What I see is an increasing number of people having beaten all the content and getting bored, which I’ve seen in every single MMO I’ve ever played including WoW.

The complaints on forums are always going to be the minority because only a small percentage of players visit forums and only a small percent of those that visit post.

But that doesn’t mean complaints are good or bad, valid or not valid.

I may be giving people false hope, except most people don’t listen to me. lol

nGumball.1283

Look at it this way though. Your way of argumenting seems flawed as it will go like this:
1. Many people complaining: well, the game is suffering.
2. Few people complaining: well, the game is suffering, people have left the game.

Meaning, that as long as YOU are not happy with the game, you will always find a way of statisfying your case with a statement. For the reference though, GW2 forums always see an increase in complaints with every QoL release. This is the nature of how it all works out. New things come, alot of people complain.

Does it mean the game is perfect and we should be blind? ofcourse not, I do actually agree with alot of the complaints and I think GW2 can be improved in multiple ways however, I also believe that basing statements based on forum complaints isn’t the way to go. Why? because people will always complain. WoW forums have been filled with complaints the last 10 years and they still are.

Goose.8195

We have so many elder dragons left to encounter too! I really hope we get to meet them all in the upcoming year.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Let me understand this. You want to argue semantics as a counterpoint that there will be an expansion next year? Fine. I don’t ‘need’ to get into a debate about vocabulary again either. Show me, or anyone on these boards, where there is even a hint of ANet releasing an expansion within that timeframe.

Find it.

We’ll wait.

Since Anet has a policy of not talking about stuff till it’s near release, not mentioning an expansion isn’t proof of anything.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines.

There are over 300 employees at Anet including some top level devs that are still wtih the company. Those people aren’t working on the living story, which is only a team of 20.

So what are they doing? Talking a year coffee break? Where is Ree Sosebee and Jeff Grubb and all the other guys who still work at Anet?

They’re either a) working on a big big project or b) working on another game.

I think the big big project is far more likely.

More likely working on Feature packs, profession balance, PvP tuning, WvW development, new armor and weapon skins, new gem shop items, etc. Oh, and maintaining these forums, organizing tournaments and pubic events, keeping the servers running, bugfixing, and even just keeping the office clean and maintained.

I think 300 people for that plus Living World is just about right.

Whoops! I forgot marketing. The game still wants to attract new players, after all.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

(edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180)

Vayne.8563

Let me understand this. You want to argue semantics as a counterpoint that there will be an expansion next year? Fine. I don’t ‘need’ to get into a debate about vocabulary again either. Show me, or anyone on these boards, where there is even a hint of ANet releasing an expansion within that timeframe.

Find it.

We’ll wait.

Since Anet has a policy of not talking about stuff till it’s near release, not mentioning an expansion isn’t proof of anything.

There are over 300 employees at Anet including some top level devs that are still wtih the company. Those people aren’t working on the living story, which is only a team of 20.

So what are they doing? Talking a year coffee break? Where is Ree Sosebee and Jeff Grubb and all the other guys who still work at Anet?

More likely working on Feature packs, profession balance, PvP tuning, WvW development, new armor and weapon skins, new gem shop items, etc. Oh, and maintaining these forums, organizing tournaments and pubic events, keeping the servers running, bugfixing, and even just keeping the office clean and maintained.

Not even close. As many have pointed out, other games come out with content faster with smaller staffs, so it’s not logical to think that this larger staff couldn’t produce content faster.

Either they’re working on something more ambitious or another project altogether, but 300 people for the content they’ve given us doesn’t really mesh. That’s why some people are expected something big.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Whoops! I forgot marketing. The game still wants to attract new players, after all.

This makes more sense. Given the rushed nature of some of the content, size, and often glaring plot holes, I think you’re correct.

Keep in mind, Blizzard has more money and more people. And they release an ‘expansion’ every two or three years. Given the circumstances, ArenaNet’s done an outstanding job with the short amount of time they’ve got between releases.

Not perfect, mind, but releasing new content, with as few bugs as we’ve seen, every two weeks is still wildly impressive.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Find it.

We’ll wait.

Not even close. As many have pointed out, other games come out with content faster with smaller staffs, so it’s not logical to think that this larger staff couldn’t produce content faster.

Either they’re working on something more ambitious or another project altogether, but 300 people for the content they’ve given us doesn’t really mesh. That’s why some people are expected something big.

And in comparison to those games, GW2 is a top-notch title. The only ones to compare quality-wise are WoW (Blizzard has a huge staff), FF (Again, huge staff on SquareEnix), or Everquest (which goes for practically a decade between expansions).

The others, sure, they release content faster (actually, the vast majority don’t due to the bi-weekly content releases on GW2), but it’s buggy, not as pleasing, and server uptime is horrid.

Server uptime alone is a larger part of ANet’s staff than other companies. Even just since GW2’s launch, the game has had less server downtime than WoW has in the same period.

A 300 person staff is quite reasonable considering how much effort ANet puts into keeping a stable game while still putting out a high quality product. Could they have something in the works? Sure, but my estimates on staff say that would be about 15-20 people. Not nearly enough for an expansion.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

(edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180)

laokoko.7403

You think there are more complaints now than there were when ascended items came out? Because I don’t. There have always been complaints.

What I see is an increasing number of people having beaten all the content and getting bored, which I’ve seen in every single MMO I’ve ever played including WoW.

The complaints on forums are always going to be the minority because only a small percentage of players visit forums and only a small percent of those that visit post.

But that doesn’t mean complaints are good or bad, valid or not valid.

I may be giving people false hope, except most people don’t listen to me. lol

I think the differnce between the ascended complain, is it last a while and people move on.

The complain about content, is pretty steady increase. And still going.

And quite honestly, if you don’t include dungeon and raids, I actually find Anet releasing content in a rapid pace.

That being said, I just spend most of the time doing dungeon and raids when I play other mmorpg, and they just keep pumping them out so I always get somethings to do.

The irony is I was at another game forum and the players have a 26 page of complaints about the game only have dungeon grinds and no other contents.

That being said, I’m pretty sure that is why people are asking for expansion. There was much less complaint last year right? About content.

laokoko.7403

Did you start saying those things last year?

Just saying it.

You do realize 1 year have passed.

Goose.8195

Just saying it.

Keep in mind, they did say a large part of their resources was consumed by the China release. I think with that out of the way that players will naturally expect more updates here in the upcoming year (whether that is right or wrong of us to do).

laokoko.7403

Just saying it.

Keep in mind, they did say a large part of their resources was consumed by the China release. I think with that out of the way that players will naturally expect more updates here in the upcoming year (whether that is right or wrong of us to do).

Not disrespecting Anet in anyway. I played some mmorpg, “warhammer/AOC”, that have budget too and Anet far surpass those games in terms of content.

I just felt some of things people say is just misleading. So if Anet manage to release that much content with 20 people. Am I suppose to expect 300/20 = 15 times more content soon?

I’m pretty sure ANet have team working on other bigger project. Or at least I do. I just think some things people say is sending out too much false expectation.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

If an expansion doesn’t come in 2015, I’ll still be playing the game.

If an expansion does come, however, I’ll still be playing the game.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: apocalyps.7106

apocalyps.7106

@ OP then the world as we know it is over, time to get to work on real life things

Goose.8195

@ OP then the world as we know it is over, time to get to work on real life things

I really hope that you said this just to fit your username in perfectly.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

“What if expansion doesnt come in 2015?”

Then another year will have passed where I (and all my friends) didn’t spend a dime on GW2. We have all decided to spend money elsewhere until an expansion is released.

Hopefully they do release one though. I look forward to giving Anet lots of my money for huge amounts of content.

Posted by: GreatWoolf.3412

GreatWoolf.3412

Expanssions do the 1 thing ANet said they did not want to do… Split the player base.

if they make an expanssion the playerbase will be separated b2ing expanssion owners and none. This gap will reduce player base in both camps and creates a toxic enviroment, as well as now they have to do LS for both.

Also this same handfull of people (minority) that are crying there is nothing to do now, will finish the expanssion in a month and start to whine again that they have nothing to do and they neeeeeed another expanssion.

Living story can and has delivered everything an expanssion does (weapons, armor, land, etc) and has done it in a well paced manner allowing the playerbase to stay mostly together, and providing a sence of progression.

I do however would like more substancial and regular updates even if I have to wait for 1 a month b2ing updates.

laokoko.7403

Expanssions do the 1 thing ANet said they did not want to do… Split the player base.

It’s probably harder to get new players in if they have to pay 20$ + 60$ to start playing.

I don’t know what’s Anet’s plan for the future. Hopefully it’s some thing big, as GW2 is my home for mmorpg.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

If there is no expansion announced in early 2015 I probably won’t continue playing. LS was a nice distraction, but the endless cliffhangers, the slow release on content, the terrible pacing, and the lack of anything meaningful for 2.5 years has wore me down. I may come back if Anet ever gets their act together, but I’m fairly certain they’ve re-tasked the majority of their devs to work on another game at this point.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

You’re kidding yourself if you think you’re waiting for an expansion. If they do release one, which I really hope they don’t, you’re going to buy it immediately, burn through all the content, then come on here and kitten about how the game is stale again.

An expansion would be a waste of Anet’s time, and of our money. We can get all that content via LS for free, but for some reason you people are all hung up on traditions and refuse to admit that the current release model is just as viable. Yeah, maybe it won’t have the hype of an expansion.. so what? Is that a bad thing? People who can be swayed with hype are so fickle that they’ll be tired of the expansion after 2 months, and we’re back to square 1.

I really hope Anet isn’t about to throw their entire Living World idea out the window just to appease a bunch of chronic naysayers. If there is no expansion in 2015, the game will continue as it has: just fine.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

…and that’s why we can’t get any nice things.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

nGumball.1283

You’re kidding yourself if you think you’re waiting for an expansion. If they do release one, which I really hope they don’t, you’re going to buy it immediately, burn through all the content, then come on here and kitten about how the game is stale again.

An expansion would be a waste of Anet’s time, and of our money. We can get all that content via LS for free, but for some reason you people are all hung up on traditions and refuse to admit that the current release model is just as viable. Yeah, maybe it won’t have the hype of an expansion.. so what? Is that a bad thing? People who can be swayed with hype are so fickle that they’ll be tired of the expansion after 2 months, and we’re back to square 1.

I really hope Anet isn’t about to throw their entire Living World idea out the window just to appease a bunch of chronic naysayers. If there is no expansion in 2015, the game will continue as it has: just fine.

Just because they release an expansion doesn’t mean they can’t release Living World. Colin said it himself. An expansion isn’t only about box-prize, it is about promotion. People outside of GW2’s community DON’T care if GW2 is getting Living World or not. They would care though if an expansion wasn to be announced.

Alot of people are ignoring the fact that an expansion announcement would increase GW2’s commercial success, especially if the expansion is good. Good reviews, ratings and hype by the media is far more important than sitting alone and bragging that the company won’t release what other MMOs does.

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

If there is no expansion, we will all swim in the tears of our disappointment LS is good, but it’s not enough. The episodes are too short.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Just because they release an expansion doesn’t mean they can’t release Living World. Colin said it himself. An expansion isn’t only about box-prize, it is about promotion. People outside of GW2’s community DON’T care if GW2 is getting Living World or not. They would care though if an expansion wasn to be announced.

Alot of people are ignoring the fact that an expansion announcement would increase GW2’s commercial success, especially if the expansion is good. Good reviews, ratings and hype by the media is far more important than sitting alone and bragging that the company won’t release what other MMOs does.

Anet doesn’t need that to increase their commercial success. They’re probably still rolling in dough! Not to mention that an expansion goes against everything Anet has done so far, in that all the content would need to be designed in such a way that it is acceptable for a player to not have it. So far, all the content in the game has been accessible to every player across the board. With an expansion, there would be a considerable number of people who don’t have that content, and that really is not the way GW2 has operated thus far.

Many people also forget that switching to an expansion release model would throw a huge wrench in their internal company processes, and they would lose monumental amounts of development time to red tape and business reorganization.

At best, there might be a hybrid sort of expansion cheaper than is expected and with less content. But let’s get one thing clear: GW2 does not need an expansion. They will enjoy continued success for years to come without it, as they have since release.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

really the only way i want a expansion is to have

traits reworked – expanded/ new traits

serious wvw improvements

serious pvp improvements

more classes/ new weapon sets

i am not really concerned about pve because we get living story
problem is we dont see many updates to these things through the living story up dates – just more pve content

(edited by caveman.5840)

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

When was the last time ANet came out and said what’s in the works months, or years before it’s ( the content ) ready for release?

laokoko.7403

At best, there might be a hybrid sort of expansion cheaper than is expected and with less content. But let’s get one thing clear: GW2 does not need an expansion. They will enjoy continued success for years to come without it, as they have since release.

I don’t care about “expansion”. Whatever that is.

I just want new dungeons, and new “skills and ability”.

In 2 years, Anet released 5 fractal(15 minutes dungeon), and 1 long dungeon aetherblade.

And having new “skills and ability” that “completely” change the game. If you look at other mmorpg when they release an expansion, it’s like playing a completely new class. Because the combat change so much both in pve and pvp. It’s probably really hard for anet to make any major change to combat. Because their action combat/weapon skill is so much more complicated than most mmorpg. But those are the things I crave for.