in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

This is a really bad idea. Many of us playing since launch are close to the cap or very soon will be and many players only have time each day for the dailies and monthlies. Taking away their rewards seems very capricious.

Posted by: Moon.7310

Moon.7310

This is a really bad idea. Many of us playing since launch are close to the cap or very soon will be and many players only have time each day for the dailies and monthlies. Taking away their rewards seems very capricious.

It is not the rewards that get taken away. It is just that the achievement points are getting a cap, you will still be getting laurels, karma etc…

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I don’t think anyone will lose AP. The cap, the way I see it, is designed to get people to do other things for AP then just grind dailies and monthlies. You’ll still be able to get as many AP as you could wish for, but after 10,000 AP from dailies, and 5,000 AP from monthlies, you’ll stop getting AP from those catagories. And 10,000 AP just from dailies is alot. considering how you only get 1 per catagory, about 10 a day if you do all of them. So that would take a little under 3 years to get 10,000 AP from just doing dailies EVERY DAY.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

I’m fairly sure the cap has not been reached. Both NA and EU #1 will be somewhere between 9k and 10k.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

5k on Daily means 13,7 per Day. Is it even possible to get that much at the moment ? Must say i never really counted them since i normally do 5 and the most is sometimes 8.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Celtic Lady.3729

Why would anyone ever want to take away any rewards for playing? Do they not want people playing this game any longer? AP is part of the reward.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

So starting the 15th Daily and Monthly AP totals will cap at 10k and 5k respectively. Now there’s one factor that’s making me either love or hate this change and that’s whether or not people have hit this cap yet. If they haven’t then this change is perfectly fine to me (especially if people are far off from the cap, then it’ll be an achievement to hit the cap in itself) but if they have then it’s unfair for those who didn’t grind their dailies and monthlies out everyday since launch. Perhaps I’m fretting for nothing and nobody’kitten either but I would just like to know how close the closest people have come to hitting the cap.
TL;DR – People who hit the incoming Daily/Monthly AP cap already are at an unfair advantage, how close have people gotten?

Can you please link where you read this? Not that I don’t believe you, I just want to read what Anet says.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: CAA.9653

CAA.9653

I’m very confused. So a lot of you guys have been farming dailies instead of actually enjoying the game? I get my dailies done just like the next guy, but I rarely go out of my way to finish ones that don’t seem fun to me. Some of you guys are weird.

=P

Guardian – Cameid, but my friends call me Cam

Posted by: Dash.7108

Dash.7108

So starting the 15th Daily and Monthly AP totals will cap at 10k and 5k respectively. Now there’s one factor that’s making me either love or hate this change and that’s whether or not people have hit this cap yet. If they haven’t then this change is perfectly fine to me (especially if people are far off from the cap, then it’ll be an achievement to hit the cap in itself) but if they have then it’s unfair for those who didn’t grind their dailies and monthlies out everyday since launch. Perhaps I’m fretting for nothing and nobody’kitten either but I would just like to know how close the closest people have come to hitting the cap.
TL;DR – People who hit the incoming Daily/Monthly AP cap already are at an unfair advantage, how close have people gotten?

Can you please link where you read this? Not that I don’t believe you, I just want to read what Anet says.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pvp-reward-tracks-and-gear-unification/

Paragraph right above the last one.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

“There will be a limit of 10,000 daily and 5,000 monthly achievement points”

This confuses me greatly. I have a very few times gotten 10 points for daily, usually about 7 or 8. 10,000?

Total points, not points every day. You can see them if you hover over your number in the achievement UI.

@Tumult I guarantee you haven’t reached the caps

True, I haven’t. My mistake but it doesn’t change anything. We all pick our own goals. If AP farming is what you enjoy, then you now have an endgame of 10k.

10k AP is now ENDGAME for me.

Celtic Lady.3729

This is a very bad business move, as it alienates players playing since launch and players doing their max dailies consistently. Many players will have almost no chance once hitting the cap of getting more of the AP reward chests.

Posted by: Wayland.3528

Wayland.3528

The montly cap is going to take years to hit. The daily cap will start to be hit over the coming months.

Celtic Lady.3729

It won’t take years to hit for a lot of us. Many people have been getting way more than 5 AP for each daily.

Posted by: Nausicaa.9563

Nausicaa.9563

“There will be a limit of 10,000 daily and 5,000 monthly achievement points”

This confuses me greatly. I have a very few times gotten 10 points for daily, usually about 7 or 8. 10,000?

Total points, not points every day. You can see them if you hover over your number in the achievement UI.

@Tumult I guarantee you haven’t reached the caps

True, I haven’t. My mistake but it doesn’t change anything. We all pick our own goals. If AP farming is what you enjoy, then you now have an endgame of 10k.

10k AP is now ENDGAME for me.

Why is 10k ‘endgame’ for you? For me it is one of the many goals to reach to get at least 50k, after that pursuing all remaining permanent achievements. The monthly cap will also require 4 years to reach.

Celtic Lady.3729

The monthly cap will also require 4 years to reach.

Are you kidding me? No, it won’t.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I don’t think anyone will lose AP. The cap, the way I see it, is designed to get people to do other things for AP then just grind dailies and monthlies. You’ll still be able to get as many AP as you could wish for, but after 10,000 AP from dailies, and 5,000 AP from monthlies, you’ll stop getting AP from those catagories. And 10,000 AP just from dailies is alot. considering how you only get 1 per catagory, about 10 a day if you do all of them. So that would take a little under 3 years to get 10,000 AP from just doing dailies EVERY DAY.

Taking away something doesn’t get other people to do other things. And some of us have done everything else.

Yeah you could get other AP, But new AP can often be completed well before the time limit. What if I was playing because I was being rewarded for what I enjoy instead of lets say farming 5,000 kills on a particular weapons or farming 5,000 of a enemy type… what happened to play how you want?

IE, what reward does someone have to play daily if they have completed a theoretical story 1 week before new content comes? Nothing if the cap is reached.

The theoretical “10 a day” argument is invalid…. there is well above this ammount that can be earned and are by alot of players. I am over 5,000 points daily, the reward for playing what I enjoy is effectively over in less than a year and a half. Taking away potential AP away from dedicated players effectively ends the game for them. There is no rational reason to want this unless your mentality doesn’t permit you to stop, which is a character flaw not a game design flaw.

What reason should a reward track that supposed to encourage regular play abruptly end? I can’t think of a good one.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

pdavis.8031

I just go with the easy ones too, if I don’t have to go too far out of my way to get them. I like the cap. It’s an incentive to explore more, to run some dungeons, fractals, world bosses, JP’s, LS and more. It means you have to do more then grind. I’m all for that, I hate grinding.

recognize my command!”

Nausicaa.9563

The monthly cap will also require 4 years to reach.

Are you kidding me? No, it won’t.

5k points divided by 110 (the current monthly points) is 46 rounded. That means you need to get every monthly for 46 months to reach the cap.

Celtic Lady.3729

Taking away rewards has never gotten anyone to do something different than what they enjoy. It just means that people will leave and do what they enjoy on another game, thereby causing revenue loss in this one.

Bad business move.

Posted by: Bossy Bessy.3829

Bossy Bessy.3829

It won’t take years to hit for a lot of us. Many people have been getting way more than 5 AP for each daily.

true, and the first iteration of the daily reward system allowed a player to get 25AP each day. i don’t recall how long that lasted, but i’m guessing a month or two at least.

edited
after thinking about it, pretty sure i’m wrong about this ^^

Goodbye Mr Anderson – Ranger | Ima Seamstress – Guardian
The Society [SCTY] on YB

(edited by Bossy Bessy.3829)

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

The limits on daily and monthly APs overall seems modest. Let’s say you do 10 dailies (twice as many as you need to complete the daily) for 1,000 days straight. IIRC, each daily is 1AP. It would take you 2.7 years to hit that ceiling. Seems like that gives devs plenty of time to come back to these numbers as time progresses to see if they need adjusting in the scale of the game’s lifespan.

I don’t see how this is discouraging at all. I’d venture to guess that a majority of players will not hit this cap any time soon. I’m glad it’ll put a cap on AP inflation from this source, tbh. Like I said, I’d be very surprised if these were numbers that were not re-evaulated at the end of each year or something.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Celtic Lady.3729

5k points divided by 110 (the current monthly points) is 46 rounded. That means you need to get every monthly for 46 months to reach the cap.

I already have a huge amount, so no.

Nausicaa.9563

The limits on daily and monthly APs overall seems modest. Let’s say you do 10 dailies (twice as many as you need to complete the daily) for 1,000 days straight. IIRC, each daily is 1AP. It would take you 2.7 years to hit that ceiling. Seems like that gives devs plenty of time to come back to these numbers as time progresses to see if they need adjusting in the scale of the game’s lifespan.

Well said, Anet could adjust the daily cap to 15k or more if they can predict too many players are reaching it very fast and those players are not motivated to log in anymore.

@Celtic Lady I meant that as in, players starting from 0, you already did 20+ monthlies.

(edited by Nausicaa.9563)

Mireles Lore.5942

Bad business move.

For real, it doesn’t make since to tell your regular and loyal customers. “You come here to often, you stop earning customer rewards today. Please come back and see us.”

Celtic Lady.3729

There’s no guarantee that they will ever reverse this. If they have enough Chinese players, they could afford to lose the NA and EU market completely and not even notice.

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

So I just logged in to check mine….. here’s my break down after a year and a half of playing 3341 hrs, 488 days, total AP 7003, Permanent 3171, Daily 3148, Monthly 684, and I religiously do my dailies and monthlies.

I have a log way to go to hit that cap….years!

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

You’re still going to get laurels, [chance at BL item], mystic coins, the MF consumable, and karma. Do you really care that much about AP?

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Celtic Lady.3729

For a lot of players (A LOT) this is a neon sign saying, “Don’t log in each day.”

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

Once this is in place I have no reason to to dailies. Laurels you say? Okay…I don’t need them I already have mostly everything in this game. Only thing that brings me to log on is to get the AP from new content/dailies/monthlies. I’m already near the daily AP cap….It won’t take me long to get it….so thanks for ruining this for me.

Attachments:

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

Mireles Lore.5942

You’re still going to get laurels, [chance at BL item], mystic coins, the MF consumable, and karma. Do you really care that much about AP?

Since it is what is used to unlock reward chests, yes. If it was a trivial number… not so much. But its not, you need it to continue unlocking chest reward tiers.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Once this is in place I have no reason to to dailies. Laurels you say? Okay…I don’t need them I already have mostly everything in this game. Only thing that brings me to log on is to get the AP from new content/dailies/monthlies. I’m already near the daily AP cap….It won’t take me long to get it….so thanks for ruining this for me.

The daily AP cap is 10,000AP. Your screenshot shows you have 4.3k. You’ve got a long way to go.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

I don’t see how this is discouraging at all. I’d venture to guess that a majority of players will not hit this cap any time soon. I’m glad it’ll put a cap on AP inflation from this source, tbh. Like I said, I’d be very surprised if these were numbers that were not re-evaulated at the end of each year or something.

So we clearly need to get caps put on the content that you enjoy specifically so you will understand our perspective. Is that what you’re saying?

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

The daily AP cap is 10,000AP. Your screenshot shows you have 4.3k. You’ve got a long way to go.

My bad. I was highly annoyed and read it far to quickly. Thank you lol.

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

Since it is what is used to unlock reward chests, yes. If it was a trivial number… not so much. But its not, you need it to continue unlocking chest reward tiers.

The dailies and monthly cap together will get a person up to 15,000. I’m currently sitting at ~14,000ish with somewhere around ~7,000 being permanent ones. Close to ~6,600 being dailies, and some other odd amount of monthlies. I don’t have any HoM, barely any PvP or WvW achievements, and I also skipped WvW Season 1. There is no doubt ANet will keep adding achievements, and further achievement rewards. It’s not like the game as it is now will be the only AP in the entire game.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: OtakuDFifty.2965

OtakuDFifty.2965

How the heck do you have that many points from dailies? When I first saw this limit I thought no one would complain because it would take at least another year for anyone to reach the limit, and me two or three years.

Actually, forget that. Someone needs to tell me how I can look up how many APs I got from dailies/monthlies.

pdavis.8031

Taking away something doesn’t get other people to do other things. And some of us have done everything else.

Yeah you could get other AP, But new AP can often be completed well before the time limit. What if I was playing because I was being rewarded for what I enjoy instead of lets say farming 5,000 kills on a particular weapons or farming 5,000 of a enemy type… what happened to play how you want?

IE, what reward does someone have to play daily if they have completed a theoretical story 1 week before new content comes? Nothing if the cap is reached.

The theoretical “10 a day” argument is invalid…. there is well above this ammount that can be earned and are by alot of players. I am over 5,000 points daily, the reward for playing what I enjoy is effectively over in less than a year and a half. Taking away potential AP away from dedicated players effectively ends the game for them. There is no rational reason to want this unless your mentality doesn’t permit you to stop, which is a character flaw not a game design flaw.

What reason should a reward track that supposed to encourage regular play abruptly end? I can’t think of a good one.

I suppose it depends on why you are doing the dailies and monthlies? are you doing them just for AP? then this might seem like a hinderance, but if , like me and many others, do the dailies and monthlies not for AP, but for the chests, laurals etc. then the cap isn’t really an issue. I don’t see anyone quitting the game they’ve invested so much time and/or money into just because they no longer get a few AP from doing dailies. You’ll still get the rewards, but no AP after the cap. There are lots of ways of getting AP, and they might introduce more, so it’s not going to be a hinderance to get the AP chests, just might require a different strategy.

Also how are you getting more then 10 AP a day just from the daily catagories? not including PVP dailies?

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

And @AtlasSi, reaching the 5K monthly cap will take even longer. (For example, I already have 6,766/10k daily AP – but only 1,177/5k monthly.)

pdavis.8031

How the heck do you have that many points from dailies? When I first saw this limit I thought no one would complain because it would take at least another year for anyone to reach the limit, and me two or three years.

Actually, forget that. Someone needs to tell me how I can look up how many APs I got from dailies/monthlies.

Hover the mouse over you current AP points inthe achievment tab, it breaks it down.

recognize my command!”

Mireles Lore.5942

The dailies and monthly cap together will get a person up to 15,000. I’m currently sitting at ~14,000ish with somewhere around ~7,000 being permanent ones. Close to ~6,600 being dailies, and some other odd amount of monthlies. I don’t have any HoM, barely any PvP or WvW achievements, and I also skipped WvW Season 1. There is no doubt ANet will keep adding achievements, and further achievement rewards. It’s not like the game as it is now will be the only AP in the entire game.

So because I can be rewarded for other things….

I shouldn’t be disappointed I am no longer rewarded for completing daily goals for what I enjoy playing in the first place, and try to understand the reason? The same goals everyone that hasn’t reached the cap will be rewarded for doing.

I don’t understand your point.

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

kimeekat.2548

Your cap shows you’ve been playing for 457 days and have earned 4,312 AP from dailies, an average of 9.4 AP/day. You have 5,688 daily APs left until you hit the cap. If you earn your average 9.4 daily APs for every day it will take you the next 605.1 days — or 1.66 years.

You have over a year and a half before this affects you. In that time frame, I’d expect they’d be looking at average APs from dailies/monthlies and re-evaluating.

Celtic Lady.3729

The point is that you don’t have their point of view.

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

I have mixed feelings about the cap. It is great that a newbie a year down the line will not be forever behind due to the Dailys they just have to make up ground with the LS stuff. PLus those who are all about AP pts can relax once they reach the cap.

The downside IMO is that it sucks they choose to cap it at it’s max. I wish they would’ve choose to have a daily cap instead, so that once you get your daily chest you get no more daily points. That way we will always get AP points. I will probably still do the daily for the rewards when I reach the cap but I will now just target the easy ones to get it over with instead of enjoying doing them.

It wouldn’t be too hard to set it up with a daily cap. They can make similar to the LS progress achievements. All the achievements will reward no points themselves. Instead there will be a progress achievement It’ll have 5 layers and give 1 point each layer. Once you get to layer five it gives you the achievement chest reward.

I still have a year before I hit cap, but I would like to think I would still be playing in that time, and with the max cap I have mixed feelings.

Celtic Lady.3729

Trying to make people that have been playing since launch be on the exact same level as someone starting the game today is complete madness. Normally, you don’t punish your original players.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Thanks. I was curious WHY they were making this change and they don’t say in that article. Has Anet explained why anywhere?

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Mireles Lore.5942

I suppose it depends on why you are doing the dailies and monthlies? are you doing them just for AP? then this might seem like a hinderance, but if , like me and many others, do the dailies and monthlies not for AP, but for the chests, laurals etc. then the cap isn’t really an issue. I don’t see anyone quitting the game they’ve invested so much time and/or money into just because they no longer get a few AP from doing dailies. You’ll still get the rewards, but no AP after the cap. There are lots of ways of getting AP, and they might introduce more, so it’s not going to be a hinderance to get the AP chests, just might require a different strategy.

Also how are you getting more then 10 AP a day just from the daily catagories? not including PVP dailies?

I do all the dailies, the days I am able to log on… Its what many in my guild group together to do PvE, WvW, PvP…. anything that is on the list that day. And that isn’t every day. Trust me there are many players out there that have already broke this cap.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Seems like a weird decisions to make, discouraging your player base from playing your game. Especially as the only people who benefit from this are the 2 people who care about AP leader boards.

Celtic Lady.3729

If they wanted to make a change, they could have gotten rid of the AP leaderboards that is driving this stupidity.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Thanks. I was curious WHY they were making this change and they don’t say in that article. Has Anet explained why anywhere?

If I had to guess, it’s because infinite achievements kind of remove the whole point of having achievement points.

They are only really remarkable when you can say “I’ve got 10,000 of 12,000 points!”. Right now, you can say “I’ve got 10,000 points out of an infinite pool of potential points”.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Nausicaa.9563

Shades, this change would unfortunately have its own set of problems, number 1 being that many players do more than 5 dailies to get more AP and they wouldn’t be able to do that anymore. With this cap, that anet could potentially shift to 15k or more in the next two years, you can do more than 5 dailies one day and just 5 for the chest on another. There would be no incentive, for example, to do pvp tournament wins if you get the chest with just 3 hotjoin matches and nothing else after that.

kimeekat.2548

So we clearly need to get caps put on the content that you enjoy specifically so you will understand our perspective. Is that what you’re saying?

Err..? What other AP content is unlimited and causes max-total AP inflation in the way dailies/monthlies currently do? I can think of the salvaging achievement… but maybe you’ll have other examples to provide.

Every other achievement in the game is a solid one-time earning for hitting a landmark (10 AP for killing this meta boss) or a stepping stone for a similarly limited category (500/1,000 somethings slayed).

Also: implying that I don’t like dailies.