Feedback/Questions: MegaServer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Priest.4597

Priest.4597

I hope you enjoy your omelette Chase.8415 and I’m sorry you have to crush us roleplayers to get your sweet breakfast. We’ll make it easy and leave the game entirely and hope Anet puts up a sign “No Roleplaying allowed in this Online Roleplay Game”

Seriously, I love GW2 and GW1, but I’ve essentially done it all for content I’m interested in, and got it all in gear and achievements I’m interested in. Instead of leaving out of boredom caused from completion, my reason for staying is the great people and friends of my guild and my unofficially RP server who I roleplay with it.

Roleplaying is essentially a way of creating and sustaining the illusion of your own player-created content and fiction using storytelling techniques and game-play mechanics. That the developers of this game continuously fail to support the RP community is sad to see.

We needed an RP server. We weren’t given one, so we carved a little corner on a couple of PvE servers and now you’re saying that corner will be thrown back into one big mix of other PvE’ers. Piken Square roleplay will not survive a doubling of non-RP’ers. We work hard to maintain and sustain a shared universe for story-telling purposes and struggle enough as it is to stay networked and keep immersion flowing by ignoring trolling, nuissance and harassment from non-roleplayers and now, this is to be doubled? You’re killing me. Please answer Xehara.8537 and have fun with Chase.8415 and others of similar mindset, I’ll leave in peace and roleplay in other games.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I really feel for the devs of this game, no matter what they do and how many improvements they make, there is ALWAYS someone who finds something to complain about.

There is nothing wrong with a legitimate complaint. These forums are for feedback, not endless praise and licking boots. And this coming from a guy who doesn’t roleplay.

The only complaints that are really useless are complaints about complaints.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: Tyragon.2496

Tyragon.2496

I like the idea of the filter, it would be really nice if they added that and not just for RPers, but other reasons.

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

It’s kind of a pity that this is upsetting to the RPers. I’d actually like to see more RP and no one seems to do it outside of those two servers. I was hoping that this change might spread it around a little more.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: Kratos.6293

Kratos.6293

Wow dude really ? Are you really gonna complain about this ? The megaserver will fix so many problems and encourage group play and you’re complaining. If you really wanted to rp why don’t you all join a rp guild ?

Posted by: Noxxi.5947

Noxxi.5947

because of a small percentage of players that play the game.

Sadly small percentage, because I think we can say, that Arenanet doesn’t really “support” us roleplayers with anything. All the things they have put in the game what we use “creatively” is just simply was put in the game not really thinking much of roleplayers, in my opinion. Otherwise there would be more open houses too or similar. Otherwise there would be more roleplayer… logically.

But to be honest, the feature pack is friendly to the game and players overall, but not to roleplayers at all, no more town clothes just tonic things… and now we will just get more trolls. I don’t say much, maybe it won’t change that much, at least I hope.

I’m not saying Arenanet doesn’t “care” about role-players, but they also do not help at all.

Charr Guardian – Asura Mesmer
Leader of Serenity guild
Desolation

Posted by: Soul.5947

Soul.5947

After reading the mega server update i am left with the feeling that “mega server” is just a fancy way of telling players ur merging servers because population is low. Anyone else got the same impression ?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

snide chuckle

“We don’t like the overflow system”
“The overflow system sucks and needs to go”
“We need a better way to make sure we can play with our friends”
“Guesting isn’t good enough”
“The maps are dead, fix it!”

Anet: Introducing the ’MegaServer!" To help pull our scattered population together in a more meaningful way.

“Omg no! This won’t work”
“This screws with playing on my home world”
“I don’t want to play with people I don’t know!”
“How can I make sure I’m not in a ‘noob’ map now?”

kitten ed if they do. kitten ed it they don’t.

People that were dissatisfied with the overflow mechanics and wanted it changed did it usually for one of the two reasons:
- they wanted to control better where and with whom they will end up (those that asked for player-created instances, or GW1 style selectable districts), or
- they didn’t want people guesting to their server, and lowering their chances of playing on their main, with their server’s organized guilds.

As you can see, neither of those groups got what they wanted. Arguably, for both those groups it is a change for the worse.

The people that will be glad of this change will not generally be the same people that waited changes to overflows. They will be people that complained they have noone to play with, players from the servers that didn’t usually trigger overflows at all.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: provesky.7924

provesky.7924

As far as this feature pack looks, it does look nice. Beside a few hiccups yes.
With the Megaserver, I do believe it would be better indeed for people to group up.

On side of Roleplay, the only thing I am afraid of on this moment is the possible/inevitable increase of trolling. It could be very annoying to RP.

On side of PvE. I have been PvE-er.. and a pure one, most of my MMORPG life. 7 years if I recall correctly. Gw2 showed me RP, and I am very greatfull it did so.
But as said, on PvE side, I have now already problems getting enough credit from an event or even able to reach an event in time before it gets “overran” by other people.
Yes they need the event too. But pulling a lot of people in one place makes event popup and popoff in just a mere second.
making it for new players awfull hard to level, as heart-quests is not the only experience resource in the leveling process.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

You won’t be queued.

Based on the blog post they will be ranking maps based on certain stuff, so if your number 1 is full they will simply put you in number 2.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

I’m afraid I don’t understand. Don’t we all role play? What does it mean to “RP” exactly? Does it mean that everyone goes to Piken to…do what?

Does it mean you try and have storylines separate from the Living Story, or do you assign roles, dress like peasants etc? But what do you do? Do you still gather resources like platinum nodes etc?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I don’t play 1-15 zones so I couldn’t care any less.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I wonder if having someone on your block list will decrease the likelihood of ending up in the same server as them. There are few players on my server that are constantly trying to disrupt other players and basically be as annoying as possible every time they play. It would be a welcome change if having them on my block list lessened the likelihood I’ll end up on the same server as them.

Imagine those types of players that have been blocked by a bunch of people end up on their own server all the time to cause problems for each other. That would be funny.

The Burninator

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

This entire feature is better for Guild Wars 2 community as whole,

How? The only advantage this has is if you go to some back water map where nothing happens and you can probably solo everything with ease you may see a few extra people. You can already gain the same benefit by making a party.

The disadvantages are a lot bigger.

Please give me a list of the disadvantages rather than just “a lot bigger”

Destroys RP community, destroys server communities, the champ train in Queensdale (aka the most likely starter zone for new people) will be 10x larger and probably 100x more antagonistic to people not doing the right order, puts in an unneeded layer of complication to organizing server events, can’t use overflows to get your entire guild into one map to do an organized boss run, etc.

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

If I have to end up ferrying any guildmates into the maps we’re on due to this change, I’m out.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

I wonder what the player limit per map is going to be. If this means populations like at launch, that would actually be bad. So many systems in GW2 work best with small groups of players. A mob of 50 people steamrolling one event after the other can be just about as bad as playing alone.

Posted by: Yinello.7068

Yinello.7068

Wow confusing merge. Anyway, I agree with the sentiment that megaservers aren’t needed in the cities. That would solve a whole lot of problems.

Ginni Gruesome, Necromancer of the College of Synergetics

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Just bring back the district system from GW1. If we are running something like Guild missions or temples let us be able to choose an empty district so we aren’t tripping over random people.

You had a system in place that worked wonderfully 9 years ago. Quit beta testing the “new and improved” garbage systems that are riddled with problems in a live game.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

now i understand why Piken Square began to suck in WWW ….

If that’s an insult to roleplayers, you’re wrong: most roleplayers on the unofficial roleplay servers formed WvW alliances and were active earlier on, as roleplayers in this game like to play the rest of the game, too. It’s why TC has done so well, roleplayers were the first to organise a coherent WvW defense, and then other guilds saw that and followed.

Anyway, some kind of district system would be nice. I’d love a ‘roleplayers’ one. And no, it’s not to avoid people who break immersion, it’s to allow casual walk-up roleplay for people who want that on the same server. Having everyone scattered makes it impossible for random people who want to roleplay to easily meet. ‘Join a guild’ doesn’t always cut it.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

Not sure if i understood that right, but as it seems, the megaserver it’ll be a problem for the spanish server. Why? because we won’t be merged with other servers of the same language (there is none except Baruch’s Bay). That’s ok, the system will make no difference for us… or it will be?

What will happen if there’s enough people to trigger an overflow now? The overflow where we land will be only spoken by also spanish players? and in that case, the population might not be enough to do events.

As it was until now, our overflows were “ok” because there was always spanish, germans, frenchs, english players and a lot of people to play with for the big events. But if now the mega-server will make us land on language based overflows… it looks awkward.

I’m sorry if i understood that wrong. This thread is to seek for answers. Could anyone explain to me how it would work out for the spanish community?

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: Trueflight.9058

Trueflight.9058

It’s kind of a pity that this is upsetting to the RPers. I’d actually like to see more RP and no one seems to do it outside of those two servers. I was hoping that this change might spread it around a little more.

The problem with spreading it around is that it dilutes it. Currently if you go to anywhere in Piken Square Divinity’s Reach (bar the Minister’s Waypoint), virtually everyone you meet will be “in character” – acting, if you will. This facilitates random, spontaneous RP – if you see someone walking (not running or jumping) around Divinity’s Reach, you can assume that they’re IC and thus RP with them. If roleplayers are scattered across the many, many instances the megaserver will create, that simply won’t happen, because the vast majority of GW2 players are not roleplayers. Most people you’ll meet will -not- be “in character,” and even if they don’t troll you (a fair assumption, most non-RPers are actually polite and respectful to those who do RP, or even inquisitive about it), they won’t RP with you either.

Again, though – this could be fixed (or the problem could be avoided entirely, depending on what the details of this update are) by giving the players some control. If I can flag that I -only- want to be put in instances with other roleplayers, that’d actually be a fantastic addition for the roleplaying community. And if said flags and criteria can be changed at will by the players, then that’ll help draw more attention. If you, for example, wanted to try out RP or even just quietly spectate and see what it’s about, you’d just toggle your RP flag and relog.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Because now the people who wanted these changes are happy and by and large not posting. Instead you have the people who liked the old way, were silent, and only now are coming to voice their concerns.

People who are content say nothing.

People who are dissatisfied complain… usually very loudly.

So true. Although some of the people that whined about A are now whining about B. Not all, but some. Just no pleasing them I suppose.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: TheNerdlyKnight.7035

TheNerdlyKnight.7035

Firstly, thank you for all the work you’ve done on the updates and trying to improve the game. It’s greatly appreciated even if the community sometimes has issues showing that appreciation. With every update so far there have been people for and against. This announcement in particular is concerning for the Role Play community and while we aren’t the target audience despite this being described as a Massively multiplayer online role-playing game, we are very loyal customers.

As such I am starting this thread with the hope of allowing the roleplay community a place to voice their concerns and possibly get some answers. For those responding, please remember to abide by the forum rules and especially remember to reference the “How to give feedback” thread.

My Questions
1. How will this affect the people I’ve blocked? Will they be shuffled to another map unless someone in my guild has them unblocked?

2. How much of a change in population are we bound to see for major cities and the world?

As role players we’ve had to deal with trolling issues in other games where people stand on your character to break immersion, activate abilities, dance on you, spam emotes and basically do anything they can to actively disrupt the role play experience for no reason aside from this is the internet and lawlwhynot. Those actions, aside from the emote spamming, are technically not reportable offenses as is. If massively blocked players are going to be weeded out then this /may/ solve the problem. If this is not the case, then there remains a strong fear that you are essentially removing or discouraging the role play portion of the game by adding this feature and eliminating the point of “unofficial” rp servers.

100x this. As an RPer these are all of my fears and concerns wrapped up more elegantly than I have put together so far. Can we please get a Dev response on this?

Kourosh Santagar, Elonian Ranger
Roereker Wolfspear, Norn Guardian

Posted by: Meltdown.5921

Meltdown.5921

Hello devs and fellow players,

While I am generally excited about this update, I tend to feel very negative when an update makes guild operations more difficult. As a leader of Goonies [Goon] on Fort Aspenwood, and as I’m sure is true for most guild leaders, guild management is my top priority when it comes to gameplay. So that is why this system brings me concern. With all of the great stuff it brings as far as larger populations on maps and better map placement in world events (which is a huge boon for guilds trying to play these events together), it falls short with a new burden to guild recruiting.

This line of the update report is what I would like to bring to light: “For players in guilds, the world your account uses as its home world is the same world that will receive your guild influence. That system has not changed (for now).”

Take into consideration how the guild system currently works: player represents guild X, Guild X is located on a server (we’ll choose Fort Aspenwood for this example), when Guild X activates a guild wide boon only guild members on Fort Aspenwood receive the boon, when the player who is representing Guild X earns influence it only goes to Guild X if said player is on Fort Aspenwood.

Now I’m sure that the player boundaries will be torn down, as far as you won’t have to guest to play with your friends. Which leaves this system to only affect members who’s home server is not the same as the guild they’re representing. So, now on the megaserver there will be players that are from multiple different servers. This leaves us with a recruiting dilemma, now that we’re not playing with a mostly homogeneous map of players from our own server. So when a guild member recruits another player, there will be the question of, what’s the new player’s home server. If you bring in a new member from another server, you create a relationship that is not beneficial to the guild or the member. The guild receives no influence and the member receives no boons.

This may not seem too difficult to most guilds, however some, like the Goonies, allow a decent part of their guild recruit. In the Goonies, we allow all but the lowest rank to recruit, which is ~350 members that can recruit. How do we make sure that they’re only recruiting members from our home server? How do we deal with these new recruits that are from a different home server?

I would suggest to lift the limits on guild membership, as far as influence and boons are concerned. Yes, it would cause some difficulty in regards to guilds that are WvW based. However, I would assume that they already do most of their recruiting in WvW or on the web, so this system already doesn’t affect them very much. If the goal is to make a more inclusive game, then allow PvE focused guilds to have a free reign across servers. Make it easy for guilds to include every interested person they meet.

Best,
Meltdown

Meltdown Fireroot
Co-Founder of Goonies [Goon] Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

How? The only advantage this has is if you go to some back water map where nothing happens and you can probably solo everything with ease you may see a few extra people. You can already gain the same benefit by making a party.

Destroys RP community, destroys server communities, the champ train in Queensdale (aka the most likely starter zone for new people) will be 10x larger and probably 100x more antagonistic to people not doing the right order, puts in an unneeded layer of complication to organizing server events, can’t use overflows to get your entire guild into one map to do an organized boss run, etc.

Crystal Desert is the unofficial LGBT server and I don’t see anyone complaining that their server community is now ruined, it appears only the RP player seem to be complaining. One could argue that guesting has already ruined server communities.

There’s nothing stopping normal players rolling into TC and trolling now, there are no rules enforced on RP servers at all since they are not officially recognized by ArenaNet.

No matter what ArenaNet releases, there’s always going to be a negative side. You guys have to just accept change. Being that there are no dedicated RP realms, ArenaNet is not obligated to do anything.

I think you guys are being a little over-dramatic.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

[edited out, missing context after thread merge]

(edited by Naqaj.6219)

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

They had no choice most of the PvE maps were empty. Same with lower tier WvW servers.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I think the town clothing changes and the refusal to actually discuss the issue with the player base shows that Anet doesn’t give a kitten about role players. Sorry chronometria

Personally i’m worried about how this will effect events that are organised on servers (like Tequatl or world tours) and don’t see why it needs to be done to Major cities as a lot of interesting conversations about the server/wvw take place in ours (and I presume pretty much every server).

TTS is the big guild that does Teq. on a regular basis. If you rep them, you will all get in the same place. I feel like people aren’t reading the same blog I was reading. If you RP with a guild of people, it is more likely you will all be in the same place. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Only problem is that TTS is actually 12 (maybe 13 now?) different guilds. Sure we all have the same tag, but we belong to different tts guilds. How are they going to work?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

“Megaserver” is nothing more than a fancy name for “Overflow”. Regular realms are being deconstructed so that overflows will be the only maps in existence.

Another company tried this same approach to realms. I quit that game after their ‘Connected Realms’ went live. Players would run around mocking and ridiculing other players for being from a different realm. Role-players were harassed by non-roleplayers. The more populated areas were even more laggy, glitchy and bug-ridden while most of the gameworld was still as desolate and empty as ever.

I’m not going to play on this ‘Megaserver’. I’ve been there and done that. I’m not doing it again. If they wanted everyone in the same game world, they should have implemented the system at launch. It’s too late now.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

bye?

Posted by: Riot Inducer.8964

Riot Inducer.8964

This is a step in the right direction to be sure but I won’t be satisfied until they get rid of the stupid NA/EU divide. I have some old guild mates from GW1 that were EU and I can still chat with them and send mail/items but we can’t actually play together, it’s maddening. Especially coming from GW1 where it was a complete non-issue.

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

If you guys at ANet really had to steal this idea from Elder Scrolls Online, you could at least have changed the name of the feature.

The feature in itself is certainly a welcome improvement, but this way to me it appears a bit desperate.

Where’s the MMO Manifesto’s ANet that was founded to innovate?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

- they wanted to control better where and with whom they will end up (those that asked for player-created instances, or GW1 style selectable districts),

This system strikes me as being closer to districting. While nothing is mentioned about being able to choose a specific instance (and perhaps we can’t in the beginning), maybe that is a feature that could be worked in after the kinks are worked out.

Depends on how well the data aggregation and load balancing works. If done properly, this could actually help people stay together more reliably. Obviously it will take a bit for the data to be accumulated and the processed into useful stats (part of the initial kinks of any system), but could actually be quite helpful / useful in the long run. We’ll have to wait and see.

or
- they didn’t want people guesting to their server, and lowering
their chances of playing on their main, with their server’s organized guilds.

This will depend on the data aggregation too. It may actually help to keep these people together, since their data should show them as being together. Making it more likely that they end up on the same maps together, and not cut off my randoms.

This system also sort of seems like it makes guesting moot.

Until we know how well the data analysis and load balancing works, we cannot assume that this will be worse than the current method.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Elbegast.6970: So.. this is the fifth (?) time they have added something to the game that will make you quit, and yet here you still are shouting about quitting due to yet another of those changes?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

(edited by lordkrall.7241)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

-snip-

Kthxbai

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

… Time to break WvW

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

Sometime ago, I have proposed a merged PvE server
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Open-world-dynamic-content/3573567

“Proposed solutions:
a) Merged PvE zone for all servers
No change for for WvW players!!! The overflow system is already in place so it wouldn’t be overly difficult. When players log in, the server they login doesn’t affect PvE, only the WvWvW affiliation. The PvE server can create dynamic overflows as it sees fit, and all players join the same zones. This will solve, or at least alleviate, lack of population to other servers.”

I only hope that this is not part of April Fool’s
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-megaserver-system/

Here’s part of how Anet describe the Mega Server
“With the megaserver system, players won’t be separated into different copies of the same map based on the world they selected on character creation. "

And here’s another:

“With megaserver technology, there are as many copies of a map as are needed to comfortably hold the population of players in that map at a given time. Rather than having a separate map copy for each home world and artificially limiting the amount of fellow adventurers you see, the megaserver system brings players together and dynamically opens up new map copies as necessary.”

And I am really pscyhed about this because it even includes about my feedback on how anet should create overflows (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Will-Teq-Scaling-Happen/3084770):

“A sample solution might be:
A guild of x-number of people WP to Sparkfly, if they all WP within a set of time (i.e. within 3min of each other), they all get thrown to another overflow: ALL of them.
The same should work for a party of 5.
The same should work for a squad [i.e. no need to even join any guild]
And if feasible, the same should work for “friends”…
Then, the event should start when everyone is fully loaded, or till a set wait time is over [say 1min ala FE timer for its final pre]
One of the early birth pain of Teq event is the separation of friends, members, partymates and/or guildmates, leading to long camping which leads to boredom. The separation to multiple overflow breaks the idea of being in a guild to do events together, to use the guild’s chat, the guild’s voice server.”

And now Anet said:
""The megaserver system is a weighted load balancer for players. It aggregates data about you, like your party, guild, language, home world, and the map copy where people you like to play with can be found. Using this data, it ranks all possible versions of a given map by attributing a score to each. You’re placed in the map with the highest score, which is the one with which you have the most affinity.

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

(edited by DeathMetal.8264)

Posted by: Magnus Heartseeker.7958

Magnus Heartseeker.7958

I am a fan of this if it gets implemented well. Also, if you read the post, they are only testing it in Major Cities and lvl 1-15 zones. If it ends up how you say it did in the other game you played, then I am sure they will backpedal on that idea and find another way to populate unpopulated zones.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Players would run around mocking and ridiculing other players for being from a different realm.

Since there’s no way to tell which world a player calls home, this is an irrelevant complaint.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Dantel.3086

Dantel.3086

For the love of the gods, change this thread title. There are more people here kittened off about Megaservers than happy for it.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Crystal Desert is the unofficial LGBT server and I don’t see anyone complaining that their server community is now ruined, it appears only the RP player seem to be complaining. One could argue that guesting has already ruined server communities.

There’s nothing stopping normal players rolling into TC and trolling now, there are no rules enforced on RP servers at all since they are not officially recognized by ArenaNet.

No matter what ArenaNet releases, there’s always going to be a negative side. You guys have to just accept change. Being that there are no dedicated RP realms, ArenaNet is not obligated to do anything.

I think you guys are being a little over-dramatic.

I don’t roleplay. My main concerns are my ability to do server events with my servers community and how little this change actually seems to benefit anyone. I am also not a selfish kitten so I am upset for the RPers who have had two major features of this patch now seemed to directly made to screw them over.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

snide chuckle

“We don’t like the overflow system”
“The overflow system sucks and needs to go”
“We need a better way to make sure we can play with our friends”
“Guesting isn’t good enough”
“The maps are dead, fix it!”

Anet: Introducing the ’MegaServer!" To help pull our scattered population together in a more meaningful way.

“Omg no! This won’t work”
“This screws with playing on my home world”
“I don’t want to play with people I don’t know!”
“How can I make sure I’m not in a ‘noob’ map now?”

kitten ed if they do. kitten ed it they don’t.

This kind of post baffles me. If someone was complaining of freezing to death would you really be surprised if they complained when you then set them on fire?

Them putting together a solution for a problem won’t necessarily fix every aspect of that problem and it doesn’t mean that it won’t introduce its own set of new problems.

For example, they’re no longer called overflows but how are they different from overflows, especially once they start to “fill up”? We’ll have to see how this system handles a few thousand people from different guilds and different servers trying to get into the same world map over, say, a 15 minute period in preparation for a Tequatl attempt, for example.

We shall see what the next couple of posts about WvW and world bosses bring (and also dungeon and temple unlocks, presumably) but although I like the general idea here, I’m not convinced that it’ll work right.

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

I can see how this will help smaller servers. I can also see how it will be bad for big successfull server like mine. I guess with megaservers guesting will be disabled. Could we get megaserver opt out option and ability to play on our home server?

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I love the update. I know of several zones that on my server are just empty all the time.

My only concern is for RP game play. Something as simple as a new chat window would help a lot. Maybe add an RP tab (or box like you can with “whisper”, “say” , etc)so players can enjoy that mode and not get a lot of crap from the rest of the player base.

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Moderators, WHY ARE CRITICAL “MEGASERVER” THREADS BEING DELETED?

With such an utter game changing feature over a year since release – we need the space to voice our opinions.
I went to reply to two threads only to find them gone, and the original thread posts aren’t even here.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I gotta admit…I was pretty pessimistic about what the announcement today would be.

This is still not the addition of guild halls, a new race, a new class, or anything like that, but this should be a great change overall if done right.

I’m really hoping that this does a good job to unify guilds that have members across other servers.

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

I chose Piken Square as my home world because I want to feel immersed in a world when I log in. I want my character to go on adventures and meet other characters that are also being immersed.

On Piken, most of the characters I meet have names that make sense in Tyria, and when I go to DR I’m almost guaranteed to have roleplay going on there. And also in all other places of the world, it’s always very likely that the player you’re doing an event with is another roleplayer, and you’ll be able to say something in character once the event is done. It just feels awesome, and makes me feel immersed.

On other servers that I’ve guested on, I don’t get that feeling. I see many more players with names like PwnYourMum, who don’t seem to care about immersion at all, for whom this game is just a strategy game with fancier graphics. I want to play an MMORPG, and I want to play with people for whom this is an MMORPG as well. Not just an MMO.

Please, give us an option to check a box somewhere that says “RP”. Put us on maps primarily with other people who also checked “RP”. Being automatically sorted by an algorithm that “knows what’s good for us” will probably not be good enough. It won’t help the player who’s never roleplayed before but wants to check it out. And if I happen to do some dungeon runs occasionally, I don’t want to be put on maps with pure PVE dungeon bunnies for the next week. Give us an “RP” checkbox and this might work out alright.

Btw, very disappointed that I still won’t be able to to fully participate in all Guild Missions with my guild on another server. Is there a technical limitation preventing this?

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I don’t see any system that takes choice away from players as good. Currently, we basically have a list of versions of each zone – 1 per server – and we can pick exactly which one we want. I can choose to guest to, say, TC or DH, or I can choose to stay on my home server. Occasionally there are overflows, but you are at least put in a queue to go to the version of that zone that you want, rather than one chosen for you.

Megaserver: you’re put in a random version of a zone (essentially, all versions are now overflows), without any choice in the matter. If you want to move to a different version, the only surefire way sounds like getting a party with someone else, who you just happen to know and who just happens to be in a different version of the same zone, and getting a ferry. Since people you know will automatically be placed in with you, it will be difficult to escape the particular version that is decided to be right for you. Unless the megaserver comes with choice built in, this is only a downgrade in game quality.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Moderators, WHY ARE CRITICAL “MEGASERVER” THREADS BEING DELETED?

With such an utter game changing feature over a year since release – we need the space to voice our opinions.
I went to reply to two threads only to find them gone, and the original thread posts aren’t even here.

Its because they want all feedback in one thread. Make it easier for devs to follow, or so they say…

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…