Feedback/Questions: MegaServer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

You do realize that you might be in the “sweet spot” for sorting. You could possibly have a guild roster and (server obviously) that has a far better chance to see what you’re seeing than what others might be seeing.

For example someone solo in a less populated server and maybe a very small guild of friends may constantly be running into packed full world event, not getting rewards since bosses melt or find themselves in glitched instances more often than you might.

That’s one of the problems too, with this magical algorithm. Peoples experience could very easily vary wildly depending on the sorting criteria they use. Food for thought.

I totally agree! That’s why I’m hoping a few people will take me up on my offer and show me how nothing works for them.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

During my guild missions on Monday night, we did two bounty bosses, a puzzle, a challenge and a rush, followed by a guild trigger of Karka Queen. We had approximately 36 attendees.

Over the course of those missions, we moved to new zones six times. All six times, the guild was split apart during the move – across at least two zone versions each time (possibly more – we didnt stop to check).

Our only solution was to break one person out of each group, have them group on the guild leader, taxi, leave the guild leaders party, regroup with their party and then taxi the remaining members to the map.

That is a frustrating process that isnt fun – especially when we know for a fact the map we were porting to had room for all 36 attendees.

We desperately need a way to see when we arent on the same map version as our friends and guildees, and we definitely need to be able to right click on guildees or friends and move to a new map version without having to party with them first.

It seems like a minor change, but it would make all the difference in the world for guilds doing missions or guild events of any kind.

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

I totally agree! That’s why I’m hoping a few people will take me up on my offer and show me how nothing works for them.

The easiest way to experience this would be attending an organized Guild Missions with a decent size guild. This way it shows clearly how it’s an issue getting everyone on the same map during bounty or challenge. Other than that if you’re doing your own thing with 3-4 people it doesn’t matter much, unless you happen to zone to a map that has a World Boss Event happening at the moment. That can easily create a lag fest very quickly.

timmyf.1490

The easiest way to experience this would be attending an organized Guild Missions with a decent size guild. This way it shows clearly how it’s an issue getting everyone on the same map during bounty or challenge. Other than that if you’re doing your own thing with 3-4 people it doesn’t matter much, unless you happen to zone to a map that has a World Boss Event happening at the moment. That can easily create a lag fest very quickly.

The people on this thread and many other threads are making complaints for many, many other things beyond just guild missions. I do agree that guild missions are made more challenging with this system and have offered several suggestions for ways they could be fixed without a single response from a single person on this thread.

So while you personally may not be making these claims, others are and I’d love for them to show me, in-game, how bad it is.

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

The people on this thread and many other threads are making complaints for many, many other things beyond just guild missions. I do agree that guild missions are made more challenging with this system and have offered several suggestions for ways they could be fixed without a single response from a single person on this thread.

So while you personally may not be making these claims, others are and I’d love for them to show me, in-game, how bad it is.

It’s true that smaller parties of 5 are sometimes split up, since I encountered it myself, but it’s mostly during prime time weekends. Guild Missions are being quite a pain at the current state of the game, which is a given. A lot of good and interesting ideas were put forward to fix those issues. But it all comes down to what you said that there was not a single response from a single dev on this thread, nor (not part of your quote) anything been done to this day in-game (that we can tell). Which is quite troubling that they went with a full roll-out of the system without even trying to work those small issues out, while they become bigger and more annoying in our eyes with every passing day that we’re left without answers.

But I agree with you that some complains are kind of over the top.

Sadly this is starting to remind me of “Fractured” at this point tbh… Sighs…

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Not sure who you are referring to but I think most people are talking mainly about community / guild related stuff. Guild missions is the easiest example to experience at will. RP like to play with other role-players but get mixed with other people (what by itself is not the problem) but get less other role-players (what is a problem).

So most stuff is related to communities, not to solo events. I did hear that some events don’t respawn because the area keeps getting cleaned so thats something you might run in as solo player but overall is you like crowded (personally I do like crowded maps but also big empty maps, however GW2 does not really have the type of maps for that anyway) maps as solo gamer there is no problem. This mainly is a community (counting guilds as a community) problem.

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

I simply love it. The reason I became interested in GW2 is I wanted to play an mmo where you could simply run around and run into stuff to do. It was disappointing running around and seeing none of the group events and stuff they had set up not being done. Well now that is a thing of the past from what I have seen. Now I am always running into groups doing stuff and meeting new people.

In my opinion the megaserver is a big win for GW2. How do you feel about it ?

If this topic has already been discussed, apologies. I haven’t posted on the forums in awhile.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

During my guild missions on Monday night, we did two bounty bosses, a puzzle, a challenge and a rush, followed by a guild trigger of Karka Queen. We had approximately 36 attendees.

Over the course of those missions, we moved to new zones six times. All six times, the guild was split apart during the move – across at least two zone versions each time (possibly more – we didnt stop to check).

Our only solution was to break one person out of each group, have them group on the guild leader, taxi, leave the guild leaders party, regroup with their party and then taxi the remaining members to the map.

That is a frustrating process that isnt fun – especially when we know for a fact the map we were porting to had room for all 36 attendees.

We desperately need a way to see when we arent on the same map version as our friends and guildees, and we definitely need to be able to right click on guildees or friends and move to a new map version without having to party with them first.

It seems like a minor change, but it would make all the difference in the world for guilds doing missions or guild events of any kind.

One of the biggest problems with this is they’d need to figure out how to get you to the closest waypoint and charge you the fee. Otherwise people would just use it as a way to fast travel all the time. I’d still like to know why they decided to do this in the first place when aside from the low population in certain maps, all the other issues and problems were vacant in the old system. It feels like day one all over again, only worse.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

timmyf.1490

Not sure who you are referring to but I think most people are talking mainly about community / guild related stuff.

I typically don’t like to call other people out, so here’s a few quotes I gathered from around the forums without names attached.

" I have only completed a whopping ONE world boss event since April 15th. I used to be able to do several a day. Now, every single time I’ve attempted to participate, the WB never spawns. Either I miss the event because I can’t make the tiny window of the exact time it starts, OR when i actually do happen to make it, the event always ends early because someone didn’t know you aren’t supposed to do this or that or the boss won’t spawn."

“So far I have been paired with my guild/friends/world mates a whopping zero times”

“The pve side of things have be totally ruined. I log on now to stand around waiting for something to happen. And if nothing happens, I continue to stand around. Is there an achievement for loitering/standing?
Is there anything substantial that I can do when i log on? Please do not ask me to water the plants for Farmer Diah in Shaemoor Fields.”

“Getting rly sick of this… everytime i do a zerg i DC and cant get back.. mostly when its a really good group aswell… I was gonna finish tequatl today… random DC.. gets put in overflow where they didnt even dent him… this is pretty much forcing me to quit the game since i cant play lol.. will try again in a few weeks i guess”

“I’ve lost many dungeon rewards coz of this.
Fix it please!!
Now I cannot complete any dungeon.”

That’s a smattering. Keep in mind the worst offenders have their threads deleted, so I can’t even include the really bad stuff here.

There’s quite a bit of complaining about quite a wide range of things, at least based on my perusal of the forums.

Posted by: Niko.8901

Niko.8901

I hate it. My server had an identity now their is a bunch of crap people around. I absolutely loathe it. I won’t buy anymore gems till my server is back or I’ll just go to another upcoming ftp game with pvp that will have servers. (I’m looking at you Archeage)

Why didn’t they leave the home citys with their servers then all outlying areas could go mega? That way there would be some sense of community there. I have no desire to play with all these other players. I want my server back.

I know anet doesn’t care but you will get no more cash shop purchases from me till it’s fixed.

Otto Maggic ~Toasty
(sorry, I don’t give much wxp)

Posted by: The Revenant.4970

The Revenant.4970

I hate it. My server had an identity now their is a bunch of crap people around. I absolutely loathe it. I won’t buy anymore gems till my server is back or I’ll just go to another upcoming ftp game with pvp that will have servers. (I’m looking at you Archeage)

Why didn’t they leave the home citys with their servers then all outlying areas could go mega? That way there would be some sense of community there. I have no desire to play with all these other players. I want my server back.

I know anet doesn’t care but you will get no more cash shop purchases from me till it’s fixed.

Step outside and participate in an actual, real community. Yeeesh.

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

When I do log-on, there’s always something going on in Orr. I like being able to run with random people and do stuff. I’m biased though, I’m not in a guild, my entire friends list seems to have quit a long time ago, and I don’t RP.

I haven’t experienced “crap” people. Just people wanting to do stuff and actually being able to get it done.

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I was up, then I was down, now it’s just meh.

I second the cities thing.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: The Pointless.3869

The Pointless.3869

It’s nice to actually see people outside of Lion’s Arch (or, at the moment, Vigil Keep) for once, so I like it. I’ve always found the world system somewhat strange for PvE and sPvP, after the first game managed the District system just fine.

So, I’ve never really identified with my server of choice to begin with, and yes, I have experienced a slight increase of idiots, but not a great deal more than I usually have to deal with.

Posted by: Mac.3872

Mac.3872

Megaserver has destroyed any enjoyment I had for running world bosses.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

The boss thing is pretty valid. I haven’t done one since the patch, but mostly since i see my wife do them and click 1 and maybe dodge once in a awhile. She’s definitely missed out on MANY rewards for either not doing enough damage or getting there in some of the events tiny windows. She used to do the orr temple runs, but they are practically impossible now unless you want to stand around for a couple hours.

Last night i ran some dungeons with some fellow server mates and we almost always had to wait on someone (we did CoF and the event chains we up, so we weren’t actually waiting). It’s not a good example for inconvenience, but we often weren’t able to be on the same map.

One of my other server mates went on for about an hour on TS while we tried to organize a run through Orr while he got d/c’s often (prolly not anets fault) and couldn’t get back into our map.

I have no idea what the dungeon thing has to do with anything megaserver oriented.

People overreact all the time, this isn’t new. But this time, the almost endless people with valid concerns not getting addressed is really troubling, to say the least.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

When I do log-on, there’s always something going on in Orr. I like being able to run with random people and do stuff. I’m biased though, I’m not in a guild, my entire friends list seems to have quit a long time ago, and I don’t RP.

I haven’t experienced “crap” people. Just people wanting to do stuff and actually being able to get it done.

I fall into this category. I love it.

Posted by: Niko.8901

Niko.8901

I still hate Megaserver. Why didn’t they leave the major citys with their servers then make all outlying areas mega server? I would be okay with that. I hang out in the city and then go to wvw mainly anyway. I don’t like being mixed with the peoples throats I want to cut in wvw all the time.

Otto Maggic ~Toasty
(sorry, I don’t give much wxp)

(edited by Niko.8901)

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

It seems like doing world bosses would be a lot easier now since people will always be around. If I’m wrong, apologies.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

It seems like doing world bosses would be a lot easier now since people will always be around. If I’m wrong, apologies.

You’re right. But the enjoyment for a lot of people was the difficulty of them.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

timmyf.1490

People overreact all the time, this isn’t new. But this time, the almost endless people with valid concerns not getting addressed is really troubling, to say the least.

I want you to consider scale with me for a moment. Suppose you have a team of 3-5 programmers who spend 6-12 months building code. You have teams of people who spend months testing it. You ship it.

There are some obvious problems. There are some less obvious problems. Which of these do you do:

1) Quietly evaluate the effort it will take to fix the problems, make quick fixes where you can, and determine a strategy for moving forward.
2) Bow to the pressure of your community forums and tear the system out entirely, negating thousands of man-hours of work and taking an embarrassing public image hit.

You can, of course, take issue with the “quietly” part of option #1 and agree with the rest of it. Given those two general choices, though, they’re doing the right thing.

I imagine they are 110% overwhelmed with the China launch today and will be much more responsive in the next couple weeks. If that’s not “good enough” for you, that’s fine. If you expect more, that’s fine. You’re welcome to be upset.

I just want people to 1) provide useful feedback, not hyperbole and 2) keep their expectations of ArenaNet somewhere in the realm of “reasonable.”

zenleto.6179

It’s crazy but I’ve done more world boss events in the last week even though I very much dislike the number of people doing them (5fps!). I dislike the scheduling of them but I’m taking advantage anyway.

On another note, think we all know this thread is going to get locked but when are we going to be able talk about his between ourselves? They have two weeks of feedback already.

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

I want you to consider scale with me for a moment. Suppose you have a team of 3-5 programmers who spend 6-12 months building code. You have teams of people who spend months testing it. You ship it.

There are some obvious problems. There are some less obvious problems. Which of these do you do:

1) Quietly evaluate the effort it will take to fix the problems, make quick fixes where you can, and determine a strategy for moving forward.
2) Bow to the pressure of your community forums and tear the system out entirely, negating thousands of man-hours of work and taking an embarrassing public image hit.

You can, of course, take issue with the “quietly” part of option #1 and agree with the rest of it. Given those two general choices, though, they’re doing the right thing.

I imagine they are 110% overwhelmed with the China launch today and will be much more responsive in the next couple weeks. If that’s not “good enough” for you, that’s fine. If you expect more, that’s fine. You’re welcome to be upset.

I just want people to 1) provide useful feedback, not hyperbole and 2) keep their expectations of ArenaNet somewhere in the realm of “reasonable.”

You can always read this thread and the other one about the megaserver and see our useful feedback since Skynet took over. Nobody’s overreacting here, and if you had the patience to read what we post, then you would’ve known better.

So… What you do to keep everyone happy and avoid all the hype? Simple : Keep the megaserver on a PTS, allowing people to test it, and give feedback on a separate thread about pros/cons of the system. Then, evaluate the effort it will take to fix the problems, make quick fixes where you can, and determine a strategy for moving forward. And finally, when the system works to it’s best, you add it to the live servers. There, i used your own words.

My friend, if they are overwhelmed as you say, it would’ve been a lot better for them not to add the megaserver’s early alpha state on the live servers yet. That way they would’ve had lesser worries, and all this rant would’ve been avoided. We’re not against the kitten thing, we just want it to stop breaking the game.

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

One more failed sponsor-triggered Teq with randoms laying light fields and not standing in correct places. Followed by jumping through instances wondering if I got into the right map instance with the guild or not.

A really encouraging 1+ hour experience, yes.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

One of the biggest problems with this is they’d need to figure out how to get you to the closest waypoint and charge you the fee. Otherwise people would just use it as a way to fast travel all the time. I’d still like to know why they decided to do this in the first place when aside from the low population in certain maps, all the other issues and problems were vacant in the old system. It feels like day one all over again, only worse.

I think your confusing this with another issue.

I’m talking about the same system they have now for “join friend in …” when you are in a party, just extending it to anyone in your guild or on your friend’s list. You still have to be in the same zone – you are just transferred to the version your friend/guildee is in (again, exactly like you can now in parties, just extended to be useful for larger groups.

The current system is very clunky, doesnt keep friends/guildees together and needs a fix. Extending the “join friend in …” functionality seems like the most simple one they could implement.

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

The biggest problem we have had was getting all of our guild to the same place at the same time to do the same thing. We often land in many different zones. It would be nice if we could party in a big group to travel.

Posted by: Kellth.2146

Kellth.2146

I certainly like it but I just don’t like how it took away the home feel of a server.

Olichann | Eredon Terrace |

Loyalty Wins Wars…

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

So very much this. Even the pre-events for them (Ulgoth) turned to a dumb rat race to tag a mob before it dies. Most of the time champions don’t even drop boxes, maybe for zerkers they do.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

I would like to see the Megaserver system allocate players more evenly. For example there is always at least one Cursed Shore that is full and active. However there are also several that are less active or dead. I don’t so much feel like I’m being grouped with people I’d most likely play with then I am being sent to overflow.

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

It’s crazy but I’ve done more world boss events in the last week even though I very much dislike the number of people doing them (5fps!). I dislike the scheduling of them but I’m taking advantage anyway.

On another note, think we all know this thread is going to get locked but when are we going to be able talk about his between ourselves? They have two weeks of feedback already.

Yeah, it will get locked. Well atleast I was able to get some feedback.

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

I read something about them working on low fps do to a lot of players gathering in the same area.

I too have noticed a drop in fps when around a large groups of people and I’m over the minimum requirements.

zenleto.6179

I read something about them working on low fps do to a lot of players gathering in the same area.

I too have noticed a drop in fps when around a large groups of people and I’m over the minimum requirements.

I get it mostly with Ulgoth for some reason. My guildie who plays on a laptop has a marginally better framerate for the same events at the same time so there’s some technical stuff happening but its still pretty ugly.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i see no problems, beside some server hick-ups and some disconnections it doesn’t effect anything i like, really don’t see what all the fuss is all about.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

So… What you do to keep everyone happy and avoid all the hype? Simple : Keep the megaserver on a PTS, allowing people to test it, and give feedback on a separate thread about pros/cons of the system. Then, evaluate the effort it will take to fix the problems, make quick fixes where you can, and determine a strategy for moving forward. And finally, when the system works to it’s best, you add it to the live servers.

If there were a PTS, testing might have helped a little. The megaserver concept could not be perfected on a test shard because:

• They’d have to create a test shard server cluster to be able to emulate the server conditions on live; most test shards I’ve ever seen were one server
  • While the population on a test shard would be likely to vastly outnumber the internal testers, it would not come close to the numbers on the live servers
  • They would be less likely to detect community connection issues on a test shard; while some guilds might test en masse, it’s more likely that testers will be individuals. Even if a lot of members of the same guild do test, will they bother doing things like guild missions?
  • How interested would testers be in testing the mega-server? Most testers that I’ve known test to get previews of balance changes or new content, and the mega-server is neither.

There’s also the fact that test shards rarely if ever lead to flawless live implementations. So, I think some of the issues would have been ID’s and perhaps fixed, most of them would still hit once the concept went live.

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

i see no problems, beside some server hick-ups and some disconnections it doesn’t effect anything i like, really don’t see what all the fuss is all about.

Same here. I made a new character simply to participate in the new megaserver. I’m currently only level 23 or so, but even at that low level, I am enjoying the megaserver more so than when I leveled a year ago under the old servers. I think this is because, there is always someone around now, which in my opinion, is what mmo’s are all about….People always being around.

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

Megaservers can only be tested with a large amount of players. You will never be able to get 150+ people on a test server. So honestly I don’t blame Arenanet for doing it this way.

I was hesitant with the idea behind Megaserver at first. But now that I use it more often I am starting to like it. I am coming from a medium-sized server and many areas in the game were desolated. With Megaserver the game feels much more alive. This is definitely a step in the right direction. Of course I also experienced the negative sides:

• Organized events are very hard to organize now. If I want to join gw2community to kill the Triple-Headed Wurm I have to jump through hoops in the hopes of getting in the same server. Guild missions seem to suffer from this same problem where either another guild is already doing the event and guild members are unable to join the same zone.
  • Even though the number of players I meet on a daily base heavily increased, it feels less easy to socialize with these players because every time I meet someone I am pretty sure I won’t see that person again. This is currently the case for most end-game content such as world events, cities and dungeons.

I think these two issues are the main issues where Arenanet should focus on finding solutions.

Devata.6589

Not sure who you are referring to but I think most people are talking mainly about community / guild related stuff.

I typically don’t like to call other people out, so here’s a few quotes I gathered from around the forums without names attached.

" I have only completed a whopping ONE world boss event since April 15th. I used to be able to do several a day. Now, every single time I’ve attempted to participate, the WB never spawns. Either I miss the event because I can’t make the tiny window of the exact time it starts, OR when i actually do happen to make it, the event always ends early because someone didn’t know you aren’t supposed to do this or that or the boss won’t spawn."

“So far I have been paired with my guild/friends/world mates a whopping zero times”

“The pve side of things have be totally ruined. I log on now to stand around waiting for something to happen. And if nothing happens, I continue to stand around. Is there an achievement for loitering/standing?
Is there anything substantial that I can do when i log on? Please do not ask me to water the plants for Farmer Diah in Shaemoor Fields.”

“Getting rly sick of this… everytime i do a zerg i DC and cant get back.. mostly when its a really good group aswell… I was gonna finish tequatl today… random DC.. gets put in overflow where they didnt even dent him… this is pretty much forcing me to quit the game since i cant play lol.. will try again in a few weeks i guess”

“I’ve lost many dungeon rewards coz of this.
Fix it please!!
Now I cannot complete any dungeon.”

That’s a smattering. Keep in mind the worst offenders have their threads deleted, so I can’t even include the really bad stuff here.

There’s quite a bit of complaining about quite a wide range of things, at least based on my perusal of the forums.

Well the first one is about the timers, not so much megaservers. They did change the timer because of the megaservers but it’s a separate thing. Correct me if I am wrong.

Second one is about community (guild, friends world)

Thirth is the one example I gave that some solo players had the problem that events did events did not re-spawn because stuff keeps getting killed. Not community based but it was the solo example I gave. (same with some temples events)

Fourth guy is complaining about DCing and not being able to get back to the group. DCing is unrelated to community but getting back to the group obviously is (the group is the community).

Fifth is totally unrelated to mega-server??

So even with your list most that are indeed about mega-server problems seem to be community related. Only solo problems I have seen being mentioned is event nots spawning and the PC not being able to handle the people but I personally don’t see that as a Megaserver problem because that was the same at patch days I guess for those people. Megaserver might have made the problem being there more often but the problem itself is not so much related to mega-servers.

Maybe it’s because I filter out what is and what is not related to Megaservers?

I still think that a sort of automated guesting system where one or multiple whole servers (per map that is) get moved to another server with the ability to switch back to there home server but the people from the server where everybody gets moved to also get the ability to move to one of the other servers to escape the crowd.
And a message to go back (like we had with overflows when the original server was getting space) when the guest-server is getting full is the best solution. Make groups of servers and do is that way. That should solve pretty much all the the problems imho.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

There are pros and cons to the megaserver.

The game is fully populated now. New players are always able to find other people even in places that never used to have ANYONE in them.

The grove for example is teeming with players now. It was an absolute ghost town before that.

Orr is populated with players as well.

Unfortunately, people feel more free to be jerks because they have no loyalty and will probably hardly meet the random people they find in the game. So the jerks are jerkier than normal.

Additionally, the RP crowd of TC is mixed in with people who ridicule and berate their gameplay choices. Alternative view is that they creep out other players more often now.

There’s good points and there’s bad points. I think the benefit of having a populated world outweighs many of the negatives. New players get a good feeling about the game now.

I think the options were this or server merging. Think about which of those you would rather have?

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

zenleto.6179

Yeah, it will get locked. Well atleast I was able to get some feedback.

LOL merged is probably better than locked.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If I examine the system dispassionately, mega-server is an outgrowth of the overflow system. Essentially, there’s one copy of each map, plus overflows that persist (presumably) until no one is in them. Now, overflows had issues, especially with getting “your” group into the right shard to do bosses like Teq. Essentially, new programs were created to facilitate merging people into shards with people that meet certain criteria. Did anyone think this was going to work with no flaws right out of the gate?

Since I doubt that ANet is going to cast mega-server onto the cutting room floor, it might be better to focus more on reporting whether the posted criteria (e.g., server, guild) work properly, and if not, what were the circumstances of the foul-up — kind of like a bug report. It might also be a good idea to suggest additional criteria on which merging should be based.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’d likely go with the obvious first choice, as you propably assumed. And if Anet did the same, we might be now in a better situation. Unfortunately, they didn’t. What they decided was to go with a different option:
3) Announce slow and incremental introduction of the system, according to the first option, but then decide that it’s not really necessary, because obviously everything is working fine, and decide to shorten the (originally planned for months) introduction time to a week, without actually fixing any of the problems that appeared on day one first.

Basically, as the matter stands now we don’t see that:
- they are doing any fixing
- they are evaluating anything
- they even are aware there is a problem.

In fact, what they did manage to say so far suggest they are not aware that their system is not working as advertised and is receiving mostly negative feedback.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Guild challenges need to be opened up so that everyone participating can get credit, not just the guild in question

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Majic Man.8354

Majic Man.8354

Guild challenges need to be opened up so that everyone participating can get credit, not just the guild in question

wow really so you just wanna try and get free credit for someone elses use of influence and stuff right? its hard enough when everyone in the guild dont even get credit and here you are wanting credit for it without even being in the guild what a joke.

as for the mega server(mega joke) maybe its time to break away from guild wars and see what other games are bringing to the table because the mega server is mega screwed i joined my server to be part of that server not part of that server and every other lowby server in creation. world bosses are almost impossible now where i used to get 5 to 10 in a night now im lucky to get 1 maybe 2. and yes i understand why we have no responce from anet as of yet its cause they already have our money and they are busy concentrating on getting chinas money now so no time for us any more

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I like the theory in concept, but I don’t like the loss of server identity that comes with it. Tarnished Coast used to be the unofficial Roleplaying Server, and I felt comfortable striking up spontaneous RP there, but now there’s no telling what server others are from… and on that note, I really wish Anet would make an official RP server cluster.

Unsynchronized events sound like they might be a problem with server bleeding, but I have yet to experience anything meaningful from it.

Devata.6589

There are pros and cons to the megaserver.

The game is fully populated now. New players are always able to find other people even in places that never used to have ANYONE in them.

The grove for example is teeming with players now. It was an absolute ghost town before that.

Orr is populated with players as well.

Unfortunately, people feel more free to be jerks because they have no loyalty and will probably hardly meet the random people they find in the game. So the jerks are jerkier than normal.

Additionally, the RP crowd of TC is mixed in with people who ridicule and berate their gameplay choices. Alternative view is that they creep out other players more often now.

There’s good points and there’s bad points. I think the benefit of having a populated world outweighs many of the negatives. New players get a good feeling about the game now.

I think the options were this or server merging. Think about which of those you would rather have?

Nonsense to say people have no loyalty to random people. There game-play get effected. You name the RP community for example. I do sit on an RP server because I like to see RP people do there thing (nor RP gamer myself) and I am a guild-leader of a guild that now is having huge problems with guild-missions. And it’s not like if guilds and communities where being overthrown with love. So people complain about the problems they have. That does not mean they hate the solo players who benefit of a more crowded work. I even provide solutions (auto guesting per per map with a complete server) that should help against the problems and still gives the option for the more crowded maps.

Posted by: Hystery.8415

Hystery.8415

You know… a company of 300 people cannot test a build that is suppose to provide a service for 1 million + (around there) people right? I know what they said; I read it since the day they posted it. You can’t expect everything to be perfect. Once you get older (I’m only in my mid 20 so I’m not that old), you might understand that. 300 people testing something that was meant for countless people is illogical. They put it out here for us so we can test it, send feedbacks, and they’ll look into it. Give them… a year to reply. Lol! Or at least several of months, I’m sure based on what I’ve been seeing with their progress of resolving issues.

That’s how all companies work, you know. A hundred of people for thousands/millions of customers. Every game company works that way. Oh, and, by the way, we are not supposed to “test” their new alpha stuff, they should have a PBE or a Test server to do this kind of thing instead of flipping the table like they did.

Just saying.

Piken Square RPer ~ Growl Bladeskin (Charr, Zerk Warrior 80) |
Aelius Brightmane (Charr, Zerk Grenade Engineer, 80) |
Tilaw Stainsoul (Charr, Zerk Staff Elementalist, 80) | Evi Shadowstep (Charr, Zerk Ranger 80) |

Posted by: CharonXeno.4869

CharonXeno.4869

I must admit my feelings regarding Megaservers are rather bleak right now.

It essentially turns all servers of GW2 into one big stew. Your map cannot be relied on anymore because waypoints that appear free (because they are on your home realm) are actually overrun by hostiles (because you happen to be placed into an instance of that map).
Events may or may not be going on, even briefly leaving a map and then returning may lead to a totally different map scenario.

Big events end up with a large group almost unable to communicate, because 1/4 speaks French, 1/4 speaks German, 1/4 speaks Spanish, 1/4 speaks English. Yay.

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

World Bosses now is just a zergfest, 70+ people auto attacking, nothing else. Easy? Sure Mind numbing also? Yes! It is so laggy, fps so low that you can simple afk during boss that when you return will be done and your #1 will ensure you get your loot.

They are called World Bosses for a reason. They should be scaled, with better improved AI for a large amount of people there. The way they die for a zerg spamming #1 is just.. well lame and take the experience away from players.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

(edited by azyume.6321)

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

Server merging.

Because the population on some servers was just fine pre-Megaserver, thank you.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie