Feedback/Questions: The Megaserver System: World Bosses and Events

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ProTech.8402

ProTech.8402

Please rebalance waypoint costs. In the new system it will take two waypoints to get anywhere, especially in places like Orr.

Suggestion:
Make the cost of traveling inside the same map cheaper. Currently if I want to travel to a waypoint I’m standing on it’s still 1s39c. It would be much better to reduce this cost to something like 40c. The cost of traveling to a different map should stay the same. So if I want to travel to a contested waypoint it would still cost more now, but it’s much more managable.

To balance this out the armor repair cost can be the same as it was before. The new system feels really unintuitive anyway. Your gear still gets damaged, and you still have to go to a merchant to repair it, just the repair is free. You have to pay the merchants for everything why is repair free and not the other things? If you die because of fall damage your gear don’t get damaged, but if you get killed you have to repair (for free). Why not remove gear damage altogether then? Also the biggest thing on Outnumbered buff in WvW is that you do not take gear damage, but that doesn’t do much as the server which outnumbers you can repair for free anyway. So what’s the point?

Posted by: Yanslana.5982

Yanslana.5982

I have not read through 8 pages of the comments & feedback, but after reading the blog post, my thought is:

So if someone who’s only able to play the game for 1-2 hours a day, I won’t be able to maximum my world boss running because only a certain few will spawn in that time. No more casually joining in on open world content because if I want a world boss outside of my time, I have to inconvenient my fellow guild members.

Why can’t the world bosses just be up all the time on the map? If it dies jut respawn it 5 minutes after death.

Posted by: EoNenmacil.2361

EoNenmacil.2361

The schedule Will Destroy Dynamic and Active Play in Guild Wars 2. Guilds Like Mine (EG Sanctum of Rall) have players that come home from work, Run our World Event Train and thats there night. They do 95% of the events on that list in under 2 hours + Temples. Now it will force them to play the game On the schedule. Go here, ok in 1.5 min we port here and kill. 10 min later we are going to be here and killing this. It is Boring. You will loose those World Event Players and destroy a Important part of Guild Wars 2.

2nd Officer of Ethereal Guardians ~Syinne Rio~

Posted by: village idiot.1436

village idiot.1436

In anet’s desire to make the difficult meta events, like 3-headed wurm and tequatl more accessible, they appear to be making other meta events less accessible.

Casual players omit wurm and tequatl due to the high degree coordination, large numbers required and people in key positions can cause them to fail i.e. turrets and limited rewards.

Anet’s reaction seems very knee jerk. Almost all the other events in the game can be completed with a small but dedicated group. A few don’t scale well with very small numbers and struggle to be completed during timer.

My point is that the overwhelming majority of the events seem to work well within the present system. Porting to an event and ending in an overflow is annoying but nowhere near as inconvenient and restrictive as what is being proposed. Baby quaggan being thrown out with the bath water.

Posted by: Alugjen Darlas.5329

Alugjen Darlas.5329

I knew it all this patch was way to good to be true , i guess they saved the worst part for today in order to hype it like always. Regarding this Scheulde World Boss system i would LOVE to ask to the maker of this system do you remember something called like this ’’’Guild Wars 2 Manifesto’’ ??.I suggest to anet devs to read it once again in case you forgot your own word’s and idea’s .I will comment later of and give my feedback once im less Pi***d.

[SC]Nine Inch Nose -205 Precurssors .

Posted by: Pedroso.4603

Pedroso.4603

I knew it all this patch was way to good to be true , i guess they saved the worst part for today in order to hype it like always. Regarding this Scheulde World Boss system i would LOVE to ask to the maker of this system do you remember something called like this ’’’Guild Wars 2 Manifesto’’ ??.I suggest to anet devs to read it once again in case you forgot your own word’s and idea’s .I will comment later of and give my feedback once im less Pi***d.

+1
+1
+1
+1
+1

Posted by: sephard.2470

sephard.2470

Do they expect everyone’s PC to be able to run smoothly when you have XXXXYYYY players on the same map?
Why do they promote Zergfests, when literally NO ONE wants them?

Someone seems to have no idea about it’s own community.

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

I want to play on a free world where I can do what I want when I want.
Nope. Now all I can do is hope that there will be a guild doing the event?
I’m also pretty sure this is going to mean 4x the lag. We know that will be coming.

For me basically the change is saying if I’m not online for the (up to) 3 hour window that I just get screwed out of being able to do the event.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Pedroso.4603

Look at 1:30 -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E

They say “we don’t want players to grind, players don’t want to grind and that’s what we;re gonna change”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

take a deep breath

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
….

Just hilarious…

Posted by: Krassix.4017

Krassix.4017

I really hope you guys (ANet) back off of this implementation of static timers on everything. It completely destroys your business model of a “Living World.” How can you make this change and dare call your story updates living world updates?

There will be no more dynamic playing. The game world will be predictable and boring.

I’m also very concerned with how this will affect Tequatl and Wurm kills. While I agree these should be on a static timer to promote organization, how will there be ANY organization now? With the way the megaserver is being set up you are hurting a lot of existing communities that enjoy killing these bosses together. Also, by reducing their spawns you are destroying players’ ability to even attempt it anymore.

You will lose a lot of long time players over this change, I guarantee it.

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

Bosses like Teq spawning frequently makes the event lose it’s luster. That’s why I for one like the change that Anet is doing with this.

And it really boggles my mind why people jump on the hate bangwagon so fast when they haven’t even tried the patch yet, and also the overflow system we have now is horrible for a lot of people trying to participate in these world bosses events.

So just like we figured out how to get around the overflow system, we will figure this one out too. So patience young ones.

And people need to stop panicking, Anet did say they will make adjustments to this new system before it goes out live to all maps.

So give it a chance, than you can give your feedback/constructive criticism to Anet. Because right now you all sound like spoiled brats.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

Posted by: sephard.2470

sephard.2470

Look at 1:30 -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E

They say “we don’t want players to grind, players don’t want to grind and that’s what we;re gonna change”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

take a deep breath

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
….

Just hilarious…

They like – REALLY – need to watch their own Manifesto again, before they start harming the game.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

The best part? We’re stuck with this. Anet’s spent far too much time and money to let it go now. So, we’re just going to have to live with it till they get around to “adjusting” it.

Pedroso.4603

The best part? We’re stuck with this. Anet’s spent far too much time and money to let it go now. So, we’re just going to have to live with it till they get around to “adjusting” it.

Or just play another game, which to me seems to be the most reasonable decision.

Posted by: Car.3805

Car.3805

What happens to guild storage on separate servers?

Will they be combined somehow into one mega storage? or
Will each server retain their individual upgrades? or
Will there only be the max of 250 space for a guild across all servers?

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Being able to choose your map instance would solve a lot of problems. Basically this concept from GW1 meant that each map would have multiple channels or instances of that map that players could choose from and the list would grow or shrink depending on how many people are there. Just something to consider since this concept worked for GW1 for its lifetime and in my opinion would be a welcome concept to see again here in GW2.

This. “Districts” is all I have to say on this matter. I would even propose the building in of district information into the UI so that you could see if dungeons were open (COF/COE/Arah), or World Bosses were up in a particular district.

Posted by: synk.8762

synk.8762

Bosses like Teq spawning frequently makes the event lose it’s luster. That’s why I for one like the change that Anet is doing with this.

And it really boggles my mind why people jump on the hate bangwagon so fast when they haven’t even tried the patch yet, and also the overflow system we have now is horrible for a lot of people trying to participate in these world bosses events.

So just like we figured out how to get around the overflow system, we will figure this one out too. So patience young ones.

And people need to stop panicking, Anet did say they will make adjustments to this new system before it goes out live to all maps.

So give it a chance, than you can give your feedback/constructive criticism to Anet. Because right now you all sound like spoiled brats.

I’m sorry you feel like we’re spoiled brats. We’re just trying to make our opinions on the matter heard. You’re obviously welcome to have a different opinion.

We’re basing our criticisms off the information they’ve given us. If they’d like different criticism, they should give us more or different information. We’re making judgement based off the facts on the ground. There’s no ‘trying it’ – we know how it’s going to work, because they told us. The boss schedule, the waypoints and the dungeons, which are the three major points of contention, are fairly straightforward bits of information. And we don’t like some of the the changes. The issue is that by the time it goes live, it’s harder to change (because you’re making changes to a live server vs a test server). So we’re talking about it now.

Posted by: ExAstris.8527

ExAstris.8527

Not true. I can just leave. I did it when Star Trek Online started time gating content. Sucked those first couple of weeks, but I did indeed “adjust.”

If the goal was to streamline server load, then I guess it will have been a success.

Gwen Dlynn; human engineer (1st class)
Sir Reginald Doom; Charr necromancer (wip)
Aurora Skykin; Norn guardian (wip)

Posted by: Spectral.5980

Spectral.5980

I don’t like the looks of this so far. Soon as I’m done with my daily, I open up my world boss tracker and get as much killing in as possible. This is truly gonna blow huge elephant boogers if I’m stuck on your schedule of how I enjoy playing .
I’ve been a happy little player for all this time.But this last blog post today really put a damper in my hopes of this games future.

I really believe these changes are do to the China release in some way or another.

Please stop trying to fix things that are not broken , please !

Becka Williams.4978

I also think this means the CDIs are kind of worthless. They never asked us about world bosses, or megaservers, or anything. They just dumped this on us. Why didn’t Anet ask us about this in the CDIs, instead of useless crap like what features from ETOM to bring into WvW?

Becka Williams.4978

Not true. I can just leave. I did it when Star Trek Online started time gating content. Sucked those first couple of weeks, but I did indeed “adjust.”

If the goal was to streamline server load, then I guess it will have been a success.

Yeah, might be time to give up on MMOs entirely. You just can’t enjoy them, they gotta be tinkered with, usually for the worse.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

I know of three different “emergency” meetings being held tonight by three different prominent communities (talking between 600 and thousands of players apiece) for their leaders to discuss what they are going to do when these changes come along. If/how they can adapt, and if its even worth it given new options available in the market.

One of those communities has been together for years and has migrated between quite a few games, so they are no strangers to packing up shop when something in a game gets in their way of doing what they enjoy, which is playing together.

Needless to say this dropped like a bomb-shell on a lot of people and the opinions are not optimistic.

I hope Anet seriously reconsiders this system. Or that someone comes along soon and at least says they are taking a closer look at it given the feedback. …I mean…they want to launch something that actually broke the map. That just blows my mind.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Alugjen Darlas.5329

Alugjen Darlas.5329

I know of three different “emergency” meetings being held tonight by three different prominent communities (talking between 600 and thousands of players apiece) for their leaders to discuss what they are going to do when these changes come along. If/how they can adapt, and if its even worth it given new options available in the market.

One of those communities has been together for years and has migrated between quite a few games, so they are no strangers to packing up shop when something in a game gets in their way of doing what they enjoy, which is playing together.

Needless to say this dropped like a bomb-shell on a lot of people and the opinions are not optimistic.

I hope Anet seriously reconsiders this system. Or that someone comes along soon and at least says they are taking a closer look at it given the feedback. …I mean…they want to launch something that actually broke the map. That just blows my mind.

I can tell you this , i was expecting this as i said b4 , this patch was way to good to be true .Back to you comment as a TxS commander and member of one of the so called ‘’Megga ubberr Zomg guild’s dunno why ppl like to call us like this ‘’ the reaction in Ts between members and leader’s wasn’t the best .But hey they have time to think on what they are doing , and maybe they will take the right decision .

[SC]Nine Inch Nose -205 Precurssors .

Posted by: ZDBioHazard.8246

ZDBioHazard.8246

This wouldn’t be happening if we voted for Evon.

…Somebody had to say it eventually, haha. ;D

Ara Daybreak [GT] – Charr Elementalist – Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Who want’s to roleplay a calendar? What freedom do you have when everything is on a schedule? It will certainly not make the game feel “Alive”.

I think having everything on a strict schedule along with dailies will make the game feel like a job.

Also it’s easy to foresee people making a path that will guarantee the most loot every day. As they keep repeating that path every day for their legendaries we will just get bored watching a huge zerg rushing to through the content and getting rewarded for it.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I think it’s interesting that ANET chose to put this at the end of the information cycle, rather than trying to bury it by dropping it from the start and then madly waving their hands with a song and dance about the wardrobe. Except I suppose the wardrobe has the whole townclothes thing attached to it.

The waypoint “solution” is terrible. The lack of “main” servers is terrible. Events on a schedule is terrible. Just do what I suggested months ago and use “underflow” servers. If my main server is full, reroute me to a server that’s not full. Pretty straightforward.

That’s not what’s going to happen, of course. I was cautiously optimistic about the patch before today.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

Not surprised by them trying to push another ridiculous schedule on everyone. Look how messed up their 2 week living story schedule is. They literally want all players to be on their schedule to play temporary content or miss out on it (and items/skins) forever.

Who ever is making these decisions doesn’t appear to be very observant or is just plain dismissive of anything not on their agenda.

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

I’m sorry you feel like we’re spoiled brats. We’re just trying to make our opinions on the matter heard. You’re obviously welcome to have a different opinion.

We’re basing our criticisms off the information they’ve given us. If they’d like different criticism, they should give us more or different information. We’re making judgement based off the facts on the ground. There’s no ‘trying it’ – we know how it’s going to work, because they told us. The boss schedule, the waypoints and the dungeons, which are the three major points of contention, are fairly straightforward bits of information. And we don’t like some of the the changes. The issue is that by the time it goes live, it’s harder to change (because you’re making changes to a live server vs a test server). So we’re talking about it now.

Knowing the information ahead of time, does not mean that things will play off as it seems like it would. Like e.g., the boss scheduling, as it is right now, you get a chance at it pretty much every hour. While that seems fine, how many people are actually participating in these events hour by hour? It varies by server I know, but you can’t tell me that these events are full all the time, every single hour.

Now with the update, you will have less spawn times yes, but it could turn out to be good, as having less of them means having enough people (most of the time at least, I would think) to be able to do these events and not worry that there is not enough.

^ This part is what I meant when I said to give it a chance, that you might think differently after giving it a go.

The wp’s and dungeons part I get it, but I’m taking pros over cons here, and the pros outweigh the cons imo. You may not agree with me on this one though.

And sorry about the “spoiled brat” comment, but this is a year and a half of reading through these forums. I just couldn’t contain myself there.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

Posted by: Kisai Hikaru.1052

Kisai Hikaru.1052

Reading all of these concerns from other people, I’m glad about 90% agree that this seems like a bad idea.

The point that others have brought up, I agree as well, it completely takes away the sense of a living world. Sure, it will be a living map for the map you’re currently on, but every other map that you’re not on will feel dead.

I still think the better solution here would be to still give the players a choice. Gamers want to be able to make choices, and not being restricted to a schedule, even IF it might rotate sometime in the future. Why can we not choose to be on our own home server maps or on the megaserver maps? I understand, it might require more hardware over on your side, but for the players, it would be a much better system. The people who enjoy just roaming the world freely and like being able to do random group events can just go on the megaserver because there’ll always be enough people around to do those group events with you. If you enjoy the sense of home on your server and you like going off on the current API’s for world bosses, then you can simply stay on your home-server maps, much like how there was that district system in GW1. I get it, GW1 was a very different game than GW2 is, but it might not be so very different if you really think about it. We essentially currently have the exact same system as we did with districts in GW1, only this time, different districts are called different overflows and there’s no option to journey to one specific overflow, except for when you have a party-member in that overflow. I think it would be a lot better to still keep the current system alive with the current world bosses spawning times and Orr temples and contestable waypoints as they are now, and just add the megaserver on the side so that people can choose to go there if they want to, rather than force everybody to this new system :/

Posted by: Fenrina.2954

Fenrina.2954

Now with the update, you will have less spawn times yes, but it could turn out to be good, as having less of them means having enough people (most of the time at least, I would think) to be able to do these events and not worry that there is not enough.

Not likely, no. More people on the maps is more likely to produce that, but that’s not a guarantee. I would expect that most people would just get the boss kill and not bother to return.

In my experience, the problem as describe was never an issue. Most world bosses can be killed with a tiny number of people due to scaling. And getting more people to help the boss could be improved with ingame cross-map information tools.

For me, the main draw of this game was not having to put up with stuff like schedules. If I wanted to skip a boss, I could and still fight a different boss. After the patch? That’s impossible. And that’s not good because that is a big part of what the game has going for it. No amount of “more people” will replace that.

(edited by Fenrina.2954)

Posted by: Kyven.7514

Kyven.7514

As a Gunnar’s Holder-ite and one of the leaders of the server’s World Tour and Tequatl events…Anet, I am deeply disappointed in this change.

1. It takes a lot more work and some quick thinking to chain the bosses back to back to back. For example: Fire Elemental bugs frequently on GH, ask someone to please unbug it for us while we do Mega Destroyer, but oh no Behe, Taidha and Maw just popped up in the middle of the Mega D pres. Not a problem! Kill Mega D first, then go to Behe first, let Maw sit on the Brogun event, kill Taidha, work your way to Maw, then go do Fire Ele and then from there work your way to Eye or Dwayna or whoever else happens to be up. On a good night we hit 25-30 bosses and 5 or so “bonus champs” in about 6 hours. That’s not only a load of karma and loot for you, but a load of karma and loot for the others following you as well.

2. People are free to drop in and out of World Tour as they please. Naturally the zerg is large at the beginning but as people go to bed, it gets smaller and smaller. With the new Megaserver, that will not happen.

3. The Tour as it is has a fresh, constantly rotating schedule of bosses that changes day to day. Some days we start with Behe, others with Golem, others with Maw. It all depends who is up at the same time and makes the Tour always fun. With the new schedule, we get to see the same few bosses all the time which becomes stale and boring.

4. The twice weekly GH Tequatl kills and the once weekly Wurm attempts are in the garbage now. We’ve only just started gathering the server and being successful every Monday at Teq. People know what to do, how to do it, when to do it and gathering at a time convenient to everyone. Now? We’re going to be getting hundreds of people in the map, who may grief it, who may be rude jerks or just be having a bad day and spread their misery over everyone. In addition, the new times are not convenient to everyone.

5. I like commanding in PvE. I find it fun. I love interacting with the people on TS and in map chat and squad chat. I love the work of figuring out which boss to go to. I love being able to chain bosses boom-boom-boom-boom-boom. I love training new commanders on how to activate events, offering advice, helping them with questions. Buh-bye that for me now…

6. I’m also one of those who enjoys her peace and quiet because I’m “on stage” once or twice a week or helping the other commanders whose turn it is during their night or heck filling in for people who can’t do it because of computer problems or being sick. I enjoy wandering Ashford or Timberline or Snowden or Lornar’s by myself, all peaceful. That’s being taken away from me now as someone upthread said. Our experience of a secluded walk in the woods will be destroyed because someone will be busy flamethrowering the bunnies and deer or being a jerk in map chat.

7. My guild is TINY. If I want to experience Karka Queen I’ll have to join up with a larger guild. I don’t want to join a larger guild. So what do I do? Leech?

8. Gunnar’s Hold has a very large PvE base now because of the Tour, the nightly Temple Runs, Tuomir’s Hide and Seek event, Duke Witherheart’s Rampages and the Tequatl events. Gunnar’s Hold has been my home for about 400 days and over 4k hours of gameplay. With the Megaserver I can’t say “I’m proud to be from Gunnar’s.” I can say “I am now one of the faceless, nameless minions in this big blob of people.” Arenanet. I am not a statistic. I am a person. I am not a metric. I am an individual. I am not a nameless, faceless, walking wallet. I am myself. And I like my home. I like the people I play with every day, I like the people on my server. You’re going to destroy a lot of what makes a server community a server community in the name of…what? Metrics? Numbers? Because we are nameless faceless wallets?

Edit: Also forgot! Some boss events take a LOT longer than 15 minutes to get through all the pres. Good examples are Mega D, Ulgoth and Golem. With a good size zerg, you’re looking at at least 25-35 minutes per event, possibly longer.

Lareswen-Human Warrior/Zinnia Epsilon-Asura Mesmer
The Tyrian Institute (TI)
One of the few Americans on Gunnar’s Hold (EU)

(edited by Kyven.7514)

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Yeah, might be time to give up on MMOs entirely. You just can’t enjoy them, they gotta be tinkered with, usually for the worse.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, that was my plan when I left Eve, but gave GW2 a shot as it was supposed to be different. After 1.5 years I don’t think that’s the case anymore, and I honestly feel sad for both this community and the game itself.

I’m not leaving yet, but I’m certainly not interested in WvW, PvP or large PvE events anymore. Those horses have left the burning barn, and do not seem likely to return.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

Posted by: Yenrah.8532

Yenrah.8532

Well, it becomes clear that the megaserver creates more issues than the devs are able to handle.
So how about that:
Server system is not broken. Just needs some adjustment. A lot of existing problems would be fixed by simply making the guesting system a natural part of the game.
What I mean is a clear interface avaliable for every player in-game, separate for each map. Player would be able to check how full is each server’s version of a map and enter whichever he prefers.
With this option, on less popular maps, players would naturally gather on one or two servers. Same for popular maps – players would naturally spread, and with their server’s map being full they would actually be able to choose another server they feel connected to, instead of being pushed to an overflow.
Community not destroyed. RPers at piece. Guesting to an open temple whenever needed still possible. Creating overflows by tequatlorsomething-guilds still possible. No need for silly changes (I’m sorry, but those ARE silly) in temples and waypoints.
Thoughts?

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

from optimism to disappointment.

this megaserver only seems to benefit new players leveling up. no benefits for established 80’s.

the schedule for world events kills our servers world boss tour (get almost all in +a few temples in about 3/4 hours)………..and event every 15-20 minutes now becomes every 30 minutes with a chance to end up with duplicates. half the events won’t even be running during my playing time.

guild instance is nice……until you reveal its a unlock……..which means the server/boss killer guilds can’t actually use them (since people don’t rep them outside of said boss events).

then add the decreased map functionality + 2x waypoint cost due to it……..

awful way to end your the feature patch info train.

can see a lot of people quitting once the schedule hits (they will not wait for Anet’s glacial “tweaking” pace).

very sad. i like the game and would like to see it retain its population.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Relshdan.6854)

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Well, it becomes clear that the megaserver creates more issues than the devs are able to handle.
So how about that:
Server system is not broken. Just needs some adjustment. A lot of existing problems would be fixed by simply making the guesting system a natural part of the game.
What I mean is a clear interface avaliable for every player in-game, separate for each map. Player would be able to check how full is each server’s version of a map and enter whichever he prefers.
With this option, on less popular maps, players would naturally gather on one or two servers. Same for popular maps – players would naturally spread, and with their server’s map being full they would actually be able to choose another server they feel connected to, instead of being pushed to an overflow.
Community not destroyed. RPers at piece. Guesting to an open temple whenever needed still possible. Creating overflows by tequatlorsomething-guilds still possible. No need for silly changes (I’m sorry, but those ARE silly) in temples and waypoints.
Thoughts?

A choice is always better than being forced.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Relshdan.6854

As a Gunnar’s Holder-ite and one of the leaders of the server’s World Tour and Tequatl events…Anet, I am deeply disappointed in this change.

1. It takes a lot more work and some quick thinking to chain the bosses back to back to back. For example: Fire Elemental bugs frequently on GH, ask someone to please unbug it for us while we do Mega Destroyer, but oh no Behe, Taidha and Maw just popped up in the middle of the Mega D pres. Not a problem! Kill Mega D first, then go to Behe first, let Maw sit on the Brogun event, kill Taidha, work your way to Maw, then go do Fire Ele and then from there work your way to Eye or Dwayna or whoever else happens to be up. On a good night we hit 25-30 bosses and 5 or so “bonus champs” in about 6 hours. That’s not only a load of karma and loot for you, but a load of karma and loot for the others following you as well.

2. People are free to drop in and out of World Tour as they please. Naturally the zerg is large at the beginning but as people go to bed, it gets smaller and smaller. With the new Megaserver, that will not happen.

3. The Tour as it is has a fresh, constantly rotating schedule of bosses that changes day to day. Some days we start with Behe, others with Golem, others with Maw. It all depends who is up at the same time and makes the Tour always fun. With the new schedule, we get to see the same few bosses all the time which becomes stale and boring.

4. The twice weekly GH Tequatl kills and the once weekly Wurm attempts are in the garbage now. We’ve only just started gathering the server and being successful every Monday at Teq. People know what to do, how to do it, when to do it and gathering at a time convenient to everyone. Now? We’re going to be getting hundreds of people in the map, who may grief it, who may be rude jerks or just be having a bad day and spread their misery over everyone. In addition, the new times are not convenient to everyone.

5. I like commanding in PvE. I find it fun. I love interacting with the people on TS and in map chat and squad chat. I love the work of figuring out which boss to go to. I love being able to chain bosses boom-boom-boom-boom-boom. I love training new commanders on how to activate events, offering advice, helping them with questions. Buh-bye that for me now…

6. I’m also one of those who enjoys her peace and quiet because I’m “on stage” once or twice a week or helping the other commanders whose turn it is during their night or heck filling in for people who can’t do it because of computer problems or being sick. I enjoy wandering Ashford or Timberline or Snowden or Lornar’s by myself, all peaceful. That’s being taken away from me now as someone upthread said. Our experience of a secluded walk in the woods will be destroyed because someone will be busy flamethrowering the bunnies and deer or being a jerk in map chat.

7. My guild is TINY. If I want to experience Karka Queen I’ll have to join up with a larger guild. I don’t want to join a larger guild. So what do I do? Leech?

8. Gunnar’s Hold has a very large PvE base now because of the Tour, the nightly Temple Runs, Tuomir’s Hide and Seek event, Duke Witherheart’s Rampages and the Tequatl events. Gunnar’s Hold has been my home for about 400 days and over 4k hours of gameplay. With the Megaserver I can’t say “I’m proud to be from Gunnar’s.” I can say “I am now one of the faceless, nameless minions in this big blob of people.” Arenanet. I am not a statistic. I am a person. I am not a metric. I am an individual. I am not a nameless, faceless, walking wallet. I am myself. And I like my home. I like the people I play with every day, I like the people on my server. You’re going to destroy a lot of what makes a server community a server community in the name of…what? Metrics? Numbers? Because we are nameless faceless wallets?

THIS.
its sad this will ruin the tour.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

So how about that:
Thoughts?

The problem is… players really don’t do things that way. It wouldn’t work the way you think.

What would happen is you have two or three maps crowded, and everyone else complaining they aren’t in one of those three maps. And boy oh boy, would they COMPLAIN.

What you’re suggesting is basically the entire WvW transfer disaster done on a PvE map scale. Sometimes, giving players choice just leads to players not making wise or well-informed decisions, then screaming very loudly that someone else is at fault.

While I’m not convinced the megaserver does everything right, the old system with added choice would most likely be worse, not better.

(edited by chemiclord.3978)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I wonder if the everything-on-a-schedule is purely so that they can better predict when their server loads will be bigger: having this information almost certainly saves them money in terms of leasing server time.

Posted by: Assana.6215

Assana.6215

Hi, all. This is my first ever post on the GW2 forums. I’ve been a happy player since launch, but I’m here today because this doesn’t feel right. I keep hearing how the mega server is supposed to benefit us, but my stomach is in knots.

What it comes down to is this: the mega server system takes away choice.

Arenanet—this might be a step too far for me. You are basically dismantling the communities I chose. My guild is in SoS. I guest to TC for RP. Now, I won’t get to see those guys. My community is not restricted to just my home world/guild. Yet even those are now taking a hit. My guild is beholden to your schedule, and I chose my home world because the zone chat was nicer than it is elsewhere. Can’t wait to share maps with Grand Theft Auto kidz or constantly hear why Obama sucks. My community is being shredded to accommodate your top-to-bottom approach.

I’m sure these ideas looked awesome on the marker board in your offices, but out here in the trenches—actually in game—you’re really messing with the ecosystem. And if that’s the case, why wouldn’t I just start anew somewhere else?

I think this most closely mirrors what I’m feeling. You guys are breaking so much just to fix some empty maps? After all of the zerg-y events in the living story, I sometimes need those quiet places. Why is that bad? Can I still guest over to the RP server?

I know that there were probably good intentions, but I have friends saying they are going to leave because of this. You are breaking my community. If they go, then I will go and I love this game.

I vote for choice and not the mega server.

Posted by: Tyops.5894

Tyops.5894

I think a lot of people in this thread are probably lacking perspective on the what and why of this change. This is most assuredly ANet devs making the best on what is probably a cost cutting measure to try and save money on servers that are up for empty maps.

Bsed on the way this is affecting waypoints/dungeons/temples I would assume that this is a change that is happening more quickly than the devs were prepared for.

NSP Why bother?….

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

I wonder if the everything-on-a-schedule is purely so that they can better predict when their server loads will be bigger: having this information almost certainly saves them money in terms of leasing server time.

The whole change reduces the number of instances and saves a lot of computing power, most likely. I am first to admit I am somewhat of a paranoid conspiracy theorist, but the motivations behind this disaster might be mostly economical.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Yenrah.8532

Yenrah.8532

Well than we’re kittened, cause megaserver is going to sacre a whole lot of people away from this game.
Of course noone will notice, because the genious system will make maps seem full.

Relshdan.6854

I think a lot of people in this thread are probably lacking perspective on the what and why of this change. This is most assuredly ANet devs making the best on what is probably a cost cutting measure to try and save money on servers that are up for empty maps.

Bsed on the way this is affecting waypoints/dungeons/temples I would assume that this is a change that is happening more quickly than the devs were prepared for.

absolutely….and its better than just merging low pop servers…….but the reason its being done doesn’t change the (seemingly negative) effects on the players.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The whole change reduces the number of instances and saves a lot of computing power, most likely. I am first to admit I am somewhat of a paranoid conspiracy theorist, but the motivations behind this disaster might be mostly economical.

Oh the map mergers will definitely save them a ton of money.

But I wonder whether even the scheduled bosses are serving that purpose as well. I’m thinking yes.

Posted by: Scout.2781

Scout.2781

im very skepitical of the idea of a mega server. My server is very tight (BP) and we have a sorta system to how things go in a loose manner. We every have a few puesdo celebrities who are known for doing certain events, like the TTS and the temple runners Sarah So Pringles and Sawnec and such.

I honestly don’t want to see this system happen, I understand the goal but the means is a bit drastic and unpredictable as far as how split up the servers will get outside wvw, not to mention server pride and the like.

The other thing is overflows where only really used on update days and the first few days after for LS and the nights that big world bosses are challenged. I also think people will somehow find a way to exploit the absence of overflow.

that said, i say it wont end well, so no dont do it

Posted by: Deanius.5271

Deanius.5271

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

This seems to be a slick workaround for server mergers. See, we don’t have a population problem. Also my server can continue to get rolled in WvW by the the people who paid for a server transfer to well, you know, pay to win.

They’re also reducing the spawn times of world bosses so less potential loot in the game.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Ailis.9830

Ailis.9830

I think this is terrible. I understand the concept behind it, but there are a few things wrong with this. Whether or not someone is a member of a large guild or community, this will affect every single player. Most players that I have talked to agree that there is a certain level of organization that is required to defeat certain world bosses (such as the Triple Trouble Wurm) that is actually enjoyed by much of the community. Many players pride themselves in a game that requires that level of thinking, instead of just running in and killing things. The way it currently is, there is ways to avoid many problems that can be caused by other players, as well as bring communities, players and guilds together. By doing this, the only thing that I can see effective is chaos. It is difficult to organize a successful run when many people are clashing with each other. The point of guilds and communities is so that they can run things together, in the fashion of which they choose. Whether one group agrees with the organization of another is not a problem, until this. Now, these groups can be separated without problems, while allowing others to get people into the map that wants to run the raid in a specific way. The new system will eliminate that option, as well as cut down on when/if many people can raid. The raid times can fall in to time zone problems, and therefore there will be people who just plainly miss out.
I understand the concept, but I hate the idea world bosses will be done to be honest.

Posted by: EllyBean.6485

EllyBean.6485

The only issue I have is if your server/home world is organizing an event and they tell you to waypoint to ____ map on map chat (as a general invite to all interested in joining them), how would you know if you are going to end up on the same map as them? Sometimes I’d like to work with familiar faces in my home world server instead of PUGs or people from other servers, solely for coordination reasons. I find it easier to work with people and names I know than complete strangers from other servers who may or may not know what they are doing. Will the maps have names? What I liked with the current map organization is that it’s based on server + map name. It’s easy to find people, almost like X marks the spot.

With the new megaserver system coming out, I prefer it if we have names or numbers, at least, to each server/map we end up waypointing to…or something similar to GW1 where there are districts and numbers corresponding to the district you are in, so everyone knows which district you are in without always having to form parties, then disband to add more people in to “ferry” them into your server. That, or I know if I’m actually in the right server or the different one. I want to know asap if I’ll be stuck in server A or B, etc. so I can make alternate arrangements quickly to be in the server I wish to be in before the event is over.

(edited by EllyBean.6485)

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

If condensing instances to save money was the issue, then they could have just merged a few servers and created an underflow for traditionally low pop zones.

Server merges are a thing that happens with MMOs. It’s normal and pretty much expected at some point. This mega-server thing is pretty much a forced underflow system and with how they are rolling it out, we know that it can be localized.

Cut six servers ,have a category of maps that defaults to underflow, have overflows for hubs and big meta events.

As far as WvW goes, you have two less total matches going on, but the influx of players to the higher end bronze or low end silver leagues gives those servers more resources so there is the potential for closer matches or the pop push those servers needed to move up.

That would preferable, and a “cleaner” solution for the game overall if cutting servers and reducing instances needs to happen to reduce cost.

Given the latest earnings report, and the launch coming up in China, I wouldn’t expect the upkeep budget to be this big of an issue. But it is NCSoft and they make funny decisions sometimes.

In my opinion, Anet wouldn’t knowingly spurn this much of its core player base and disrupt the way people play the game so drastically just to obfuscate a server merge.

Just bad news all around man.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand