Feedback/Questions: The Megaserver System: World Bosses and Events

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tasty Pudding.3764

Tasty Pudding.3764

The main problem is that people don’t want to play in a dynamic open world; they want to play the content they want to play when they want to play it. Watching an event timer website, porting in, doing the event and then porting out is pseudo-instanced content, not a dynamic open world.

The open world is for wandering around exploring and experiencing what is happening in the world at the time. All the stuff that people want to be able to do on demand needs to be moved out of the open world and into (public hot-joinable) instances.

Posted by: Sardonia.8196

Sardonia.8196

Reading through all of the complaints about the schedule, even though everyone states that what they hate about it is that the event time are “fixed” or “static”, what it really looks like is that people don’t think that the schedule has the events happening often enough.

I think it is because most of the time people are doing them quickly then logging on with an alt to do them again. Getting more loot that way. The large 3 events I can see somewhat of a problem because of the 3 hour window. They may need to tighten that up.

The events are currently on a schedule now, this just put some more organization into it which I cannot see what the problem is. The temple events are the only issue I can see being a problem. From looking at the schedule you can go from one event right to another and not break a sweat.

Overall, I just do not see much of an issue with this, even after reading all the complaints people have.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I LOVE the set schedules for world bosses as it will make it easier to do them regularly. Of course, this is coming from a very small server where I normally only get to fight 1 or 2 bosses a day thanks to the fact they cannot be soloed and thus only go down during the 1 hour peak time when 7 people attempt them.

I understand that a lot of people are unhappy about this because they were currently getting a ton of kills in and the new schedule will cap them, so I propose a compromise:

Make all World Bosses tied to an event chain like the Modniir Ulgoth.

The event chain can be started at any time (if it is in the initial position) and will work its way forward or backwards based on success or failure of each event. Once the boss is spawned and killed, the beginning event will be available to be restarted in 10 minutes.

This would mean that there would be no schedule OR timers, but every boss would be available essentially “on demand”, all you have to do is the events. With the populations being merged, every instance of a map should have no problem doing the events and killing the boss.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Johasthan.1327

Johasthan.1327

I was excited with the megaserver system at first, but after reading the post related to the world bosses for the second time, it sounds pretty awful. There are several problems that will definitely make the game much MUCH less enjoyable.
World Bosses
Having all the world bosses in a schedule like this is a potential problem and will be definitely much more boring than now.

Standard bosses
Most of the players can play always at the same times, so you are limiting the bosses they can fight. Also there will be no surprises and won’t be able to choose if do one boss or another as now, depending of what one prefers, only able to choose if one or none.
Sol
Make bosses overlap and make them appear more often. And the best solution will be if the bosses were at the same times, worldwide, but scrambling what bosses so at the same hours doesn’t get always the same bosses. Adapting the API to reflect this will give the players enough tools to find what bosses are active.
Big bosses
These bosses must be scheduled, but the schedule announced is terrible. Each 8 hours is not enough. If I spend +8 hours working, and let’s presume I sleep 6 hours (I usually have to sleep more), there will be a miracle if I can adapt my own schedule to fight Tequalt. In fact, right now, since I am from Europe, and seeing the schedule, I’ll be lucky if I can fight the 3 headed wurm at 20:00. I won’t be able to do any other big boss event.
The solution you are giving to me and those like me is to wait and hope a big guild starts these events at other times. But I don’t want to be in a large guild, I want to be in my little guild with my friends. And it doesn’t matter the game allows to be in several guilds, because much of the largest guild require to be always representing them, which I am not willing to do, I want to collaborate with my friends guild. But ok, I don’t have to be in that guild, just to be in the map. But since it will not be in my hand to choose the instance of the map, I’ll probably need a taxi, which is one of the most hating things the current overflow system has and I was hoping it will be resolved by the megaserver system. And I was thinking it will, but looks not be the case. The problem is worse since there is no real raid system, so a player can only join other players within his own group. Since the groups are of 5 people to travel between maps is not easy at all. I am sure it will be impossible for many players like me to join the map where a guild is activating the event.
This single element is not facilitating the “Friendly Play” but the “Elite play” instead. So I will need to adapt my schedule to those of large guilds, and the game will not be giving me enough options to play the content, content I was able to play before, indeed.
Sol
Increase the frequency of this events. Instead of running each 8 hours, set them to run each 4 hours. This will give all players more options to play in whatever hours they can play and still be somehow valuable for large guilds to activate at other times.

Waypoints
All time contested waypoints is a REAL BAD solution. Not only because the double price, which is indeed a problem since the amount of coins we get from the world will decrease as already announced, but specially because of the double loading screen. This goes directly against the quality of the product itself as software. We all know the loading times are quite large when a map is crowded. With the Megaserver, since in every map will be more people, the loading times will increase for every map. This problem is tolerable in single teleport, but making us to do double teleport and double loading is not. I already hate when this happens because of being in an overflow and willing to go to another area. If this generalizes, it is PAINFUL!
Sol
The best solution I can think of is to have two kinds of waypoints. Always Free (normal waypoints never contested) and Possibly Disputed (all the contested waypoints). Every WP will be unlocked, but with the second one having a warning telling the WP may be contested. If a player teleport to one of this, the game detects if the map where the player is heading have this WP contested, and if it is, then the player is moved to the nearest not contested WP. I believe there is already a system like that implemented in game.
It not possible then have all the waypoints available (with a warning it may be contested) . If it is contested, the player will probably die. Then he has to teleport to another waypoint. If he doesn’t die, he will be right where he want to be. This way, the player chooses if risking to go to a contested WP. In the worst case (travel and died), he have the same double loading screen and little more, since repairs will be free. In the best case, the player will be where he wants to be.

Dungeon Entrances
Keep them always open or a way to enter right in (by LFG tool maybe). Limiting the entrance have no sense, it never had.

Posted by: Soren.9316

Soren.9316

Ok now that I’ve had time tocalm down and think I’d like to give my 2 cents on why the static boss times are a bad idea.

The 10pm PST Teq followed by Karka was a main staple of mine since the Teq revamp. I generally don’t get to play until 9:30pm and am in bed around 1am server (10:30 – 2am CST up at 6am for work). With the static schedule you have pretty much told me that I won’t be doing Teq/Wurm/Karka anymore.

How does this effect my Teq runs?

Well I’m a leader for TTS. By nature of the way TTS is set up as an inclusive community rather than exclusive, we have no way of generating any form of merits/substantial influence without spending thousands of gold and hours running guild missions that none of us wants to do. We have a large member base, 12 full guilds worth of it to be honest. In order to get merits we will need to segrigate our guilds by home server and hope like hell we can convince everyone on that server to waste what could possibly be a minimal amount of playtime running guild missions.Sure we can start with 1 guild but then is that going to generate enough influence/merit to keep raids going? No, most likely it won’t. We will more than likely need 4 if not more of our guilds actively running missions.

The issue will be compounded also if everyone burns themselves out on missions and then we find out we can’t get all our guys into a single map because everything is always 50% or more full. Even then having the unlock won’t gaurentee we can all get into the same map due to the way you megaserver system sorts people. Will TTS guild 1 members be able to join TTS guild2 members? Can Guild 4 and 12 also get in on the raid?

TTS never formed to do missions, we formed to kill world bosses and now, especially for us late NA/early OCE (10pm teq) we have nothing. Even if we just tried doing the bosses that spawn we are locked into the same boring bosses night after night… and I don’t want to be the commander that has to tell her 200 late night players that they aren’t going to be able to do Teq anymore until/if/when we ever get the world boss unlock just because they don’t have the ability to play at prime time. Especially when there is no reason for it as we fill a main AND an OF most nights. Essentially it will now feel like a job to log in and grind content just to be able to play the part of the game we Iove.

The loss of the 10pm Teq run also kills some of the fun we’ve tried to have as well → Wild Wednesday is the first thing that comes to mind for me. It’s an event I run on wed and we do various things while fighting Teq, such as no defenses, ugly colors, bear/bow ranger night, opposite day etc. Now with no Teq there is no event. We run a few other crazy/fun events at 10pm too, and it’s not just for TTS, it’s for the community.

Please please please reconsider the static boss times on wurm/teq/karka or you will be leaving a good chunk of the player base that has full time jobs or families out in the wind.

IGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Instead of having 51 Brisban Wildlands you will end up with 2 (1 US and 1 EU) and the 1-2 players of each Brisban Wildlands will become 25-50 players in each copy of it.
————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
It seems to me the really big PvE servers will be able to keep their “own” version of most maps permanently on and the small-medium servers will end coupled with them.

It seems that in the end we will have something very close to GW1 districts but without any name or the ability to travel there unless you have a friend in those maps.

I think you’re right and it largely depends on how and when the system decides to close a map… if, for example, in the wee small hours of the night the last player leaves a map does it get closed immediately? Or is there some grace period where they keep the map just in case someone new logs in, or the last player is switching characters because he wants to try that newly created event on a different character, for example?

If it is destroyed then the next time a player goes to that map he’ll get put into some other version of the map where other people are already playing, then all his server and guild mates will be shunted into the same map until it fills up enough that a new version is created, but now half your server mates are in the old, full map, the other half are in the new map.

Although it’s probably unlikely that the really busy maps will be completely empty at any point I’m looking forward to see how they handle these kind of situations: from a software point of view, it’s a very interesting problem, I’m very curious to see how well they do.

Tasty Pudding.3764

Wanting to do specific content and a living dynamic open world are contradictory concepts. A living dynamic open world moves on its own time with its own goals and purposes. Wanting to do specific content is the defining trait of instanced content.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Colin Johanson at PAX 2013:

The best place we could ever get at is where the people who wanna farm go do a dungeon and play it really well and defeat it, go out in the open world and join up with a big group of players and beat as many events as they can and rapidly beat events; it’s to play a lot of different content, and play events here and then go play this event chain and then go play this event chain…

Every event in the game, you can only do it once pre day, or every champion in the game, you can only kill it once; that’s terrible for players, and it’s not fair to everybody else to do that just to encourage the farmers to spread…

This update:

• Bosses on limited availability: big bosses 3 times a day, boss of medium type every 2-4 hours, minor boss every 2 hours.
  • All bosses are predetermined.
  • All bosses are on timers: no more free-to-start event chains.
  • Other champ rewards nerfed.
  • Other event rewards nerfed.

And it’s only been half a year.

Megaserver consolidation should happen in areas that have consistently seen 20 players or less during peak hours. And it should be virtually transparent.

That… actually is a really good idea.

Also known as an underflow and suggested many times previously.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Yenrah.8532

Yenrah.8532

Since this thread has had a lot of criticism and not many suggestions, I am going to toss one out there. +1 if you think its an approach closer to what players actually want and the game needs…

Megaserver consolidation should happen in areas that have consistently seen 20 players or less during peak hours. And it should be virtually transparent.

Categorize them as a new type of zone. Let’s call them “Communal zones” or “Shared Regions”. Outline them on the world map as blue or something so players have a quick visual indicator for if they are entering a shared area.

That will actually create it’s own sort of draw. Since those places could be seen as cross server game hubs where players can meet up and play together without necessarily burning a guest pass.

If the goal of this was facilitating friendly play. Mission accomplished. Low pop areas are higher populated and can serve a purpose. Existing communities remain intact. Every player, regardless of schedule or geography, has ample opportunities to participate in world events.

This Leaves the rest of the game and bosses alone and doesn’t break the map

Unfortunately, again, just like the megaserver system, it does not give a choice for those of us who were using less popular maps so that they could finally encounter some challange. As was stated many times before: There are NO challanges for big groups of players in open world.

(edited by Yenrah.8532)

Pifil.5193

I just realised, that as the times are in CET the 19:00 Tequatl option is also pretty much off the table for working Irish and UK players. For Ireland and the UK the mega boss times fall at 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 17:00, 18:00 and 19:00 (that’s in IST/BST not CET).

As a working man who (like most workers now, I’d imagine) commutes the only real option there is 19:00 and even that is a stretch. This seems like it might push away a lot of working players.

The fair way to do this would be to have more of these windows that “rotate” from different times. A given boss needs to spawn every 5 hours or that each boss spawns 4 times per day at predictable but different times from day to day.

This means that about 1 in every 5 days you won’t get the boss at all during the 4 or so hours that constitute “peak” times in whatever time-zone you’re in but every one will have days where the bosses spawn during their “peak” times.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Also known as an underflow and suggested many times previously.

Underflows were dynamically generated instances based on zone population that get sort of messy when you consider how Transferring to main might be offered and what main map pop should be to trigger it. Or if you didn’t want to go into an underflow due to timers.

What I propose is more along the lines of what we expected megaservers to be before Anet Britta’d it.

The lowest pop zones are always mega servers. Mains for those zones do not exist. They have their own timers and their waypoints are reflected on everyone’s maps in general. If those maps somehow hit cap, it would work just like an overflow does now. The zones are outlined or have shiny borders on the map, the portals in are greener or bluer, so you know regardless of how you enter that you are walking into a common instance among all servers. Beyond those areas, the rest of the game is left untouched and the player’s at large end up exponentially happier than they will be.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

(edited by AcidicVision.5498)

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Pretty sure people already posted it, but…

How the heck will a TTS or PSDH or any other world boss guild member be able to get to an empty enough map to accomodate the other 100+ people for the event at any time, even when triggered as a mission? If maps are always being kept relatively filled, it means that, unlike previously when you could mass-guest to a low-pop server, there’ll always be an unremovable dead weight in the map doing anything but what the raid members want.

“Bravo” for calling people you don’t know “unremovable dead weight.” News: not every random player is an idiot who must by necessity ruin your meta world events just by being there. Some despicable attitude right there.

Most probably you’ll be able to accommodate your 100+ “leet” friends on the map there anyway. That’s what has been announced at least, as far as I understand it. The few remaining players won’t affect your run, and may indeed even be helpful if you just opened your mind about other people other than your friends being perfectly capable to play, adapt, and do well (of course, in your mind only your friends and guildies are good enough for you-everyone else must suck and won’t be “carrying their weight.”)

Posted by: Moshari.8570

Moshari.8570

I have LONG been opposed to timers in GW2 ever since they were first instituted with Tequatl….they are completely immersion breaking and have no place in the game. The one exception I will give to this is a timer after the boss has spawned…like the Karka Queen. It makes sense that after defeat, they would need time to recoup before attacking again.
Rather than now putting ALL bosses on timers, I would have much preferred they go the opposite route and instituted pre-events for all of the bosses that must be completed in order for the boss to spawn…followed by a timer before the boss can spawn again…this adds a random element to boss spawns in that in the middle of the night or during odd hours when not a lot of people are on, the pre-events might fail and the boss never spawn…(although the people can keep trying until it does spawn)….this also has much better immersion since it feels like you are bringing about the boss…
“Help the Priest discover the cause of the mysterious portals in the Godslost swamp”
followed by “defeat the champion Atax”
followed by “close the mysterious portals”
followed by “shadow behemoth has arrisen!”
….not, it’s 7:00pm, looks like Shadow behemoth is coming out.

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

I just realised, that as the times are in CET the 19:00 Tequatl option is also pretty much off the table for working Irish and UK players. For Ireland and the UK the mega boss times fall at 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 11:30, 12:30, 13:30, 17:00, 18:00 and 19:00 (that’s in IST/BST not CET).
—> I have to agree with this.

It seems ANET are pushing guilds to be a different focus than before.
Even in GW1- most UK (working) players would not start the run until 8pm, starting the 2-3 hr session by about 10pm-11pm. This may not be ‘core EU time’ – but is a time period that seems to be neglected with the proposed schedule.
There is good reason why the every 2hr schedule works nicely.

The new mega boss schedule prefers EU (non-UK players) due to the timezone differences focused around those who are not working or belong to a large guild to activate these items (with a strong guild mission focus).

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Posted by: GoldenTruth.2853

GoldenTruth.2853

How the heck will a TTS or PSDH or any other world boss guild member be able to get to an empty enough map to accomodate the other 100+ people for the event at any time, even when triggered as a mission? If maps are always being kept relatively filled, it means that, unlike previously when you could mass-guest to a low-pop server, there’ll always be an unremovable dead weight in the map doing anything but what the raid members want.

“Bravo” for calling people you don’t know “unremovable dead weight.” News: not every random player is an idiot who must by necessity ruin your meta world events just by being there. Some despicable attitude right there.

Most probably you’ll be able to accommodate your 100+ “leet” friends on the map there anyway. That’s what has been announced at least, as far as I understand it. The few remaining players won’t affect your run, and may indeed even be helpful if you just opened your mind about other people other than your friends being perfectly capable to play, adapt, and do well (of course, in your mind only your friends and guildies are good enough for you-everyone else must suck and won’t be “carrying their weight.”)

Pretty sure he means people not doing the event. Wurm pretty much requires a completely maxed out server and everyone to be on the boss. If 20 people are off leveling or doing other stuff chances are you won’t win. Not to mention a single person not in teamspeak can easily mess up phase 2 for everyone.

Alara Vesmir – Guardian
Tyr Sylvison – Warrior
Illyiah – Revenant

AcidicVision.5498

Star Ace, bird has a point. Even if they worded it in probably the worst way possible. Other player on the map are not “dead weight” with regard to the raid attempt because of their personal skill level or experience. It has no personal connotation at all, what-so-ever.

In reality, a good portion of people that show up for community runs are new, not very experienced, cant or won’t get on voice comm, may not even speak the same language as everyone else, and are far far far from what you would consider a “l337 player”.

Fact of the matter is just that other people in a map that aren’t participating in raid activities seriously hurt the odds of being successful.

Just to throw some numbers out there…a map roughly caps a 150. For Wurm in particular you need kitten people per path to have a fair shot at success. Now suppose mega-server has placed 20-30 people on the map that have no interest in Wurm. They might be there for map completion, or skill points, or a guild bounty, or Covington or whatever other business they have. Those people are essentially dead weight , against the server cap, for that attempt. A guild or community organizing the raid under those conditions has no chance for success.

Basically guild/community raids now are at the complete mercy of the megaserver algorithm. If your people get on maps with a dozen or more people that dont care for the world events, or are afk, then you are just SOL.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Apologies if this has already been brought up, but one thing the megaserver concept seems likely to do is increase the numbers of players at large events. Given the number of low-pop servers now, there may well be fewer copies of the event at any given time. With that in mind, more people means more particle spam, and a slider to reduce or eliminate that eye-blight would be much appreciated, and perhaps more necessary. My one defense for this eyesore has been to be on a low-pop server, and that is – in all likelihood — being removed.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

It seems to me that there is ALOT of confusion and disgust with the standardiziation of the boss timers. Understandably so. With the schedual that is posted it seems that alot of people, on the forums at least, due to their play schedual will not be able to participate in the “hard core” events. I myself am one of them. However, do we know for certain that the posted schedual is the one that is going to be used? Or is it just posted as an example of what it will look like? There is mention of a 3 hour window, that is adjusted to “meet reagional peak times” Does this mean that those events could pop any time within that 3 hour window with a one hour “break” between “hard core” events? On the schedual that window is 1800-2000 (pacific time), but that may not be the exact window.

Can a dev please clarify this please? I, as well as many others, would like to know what this change to the timers means for our play schedual. As of now, there will be many people unable to do those events EVER due to our scheduals and lives outside of the game. Thanks!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Wanting to do specific content and a living dynamic open world are contradictory concepts. A living dynamic open world moves on its own time with its own goals and purposes. Wanting to do specific content is the defining trait of instanced content.

Exactly. Which is why I dislike instancing. I want an MMO with a dynamic open world that responds to player actions, not runs on defined schedules. I’m disappointed with the change because one of the major selling points of the game was that our actions would matter, and while I never thought the game realized its full potential it had with dynamic events, I thought it could eventually build into becoming that type of game. However, this latest move is pushing that goal further away, and I can only hope another MMO takes the ideas GW 2 wanted and doesn’t cave to the pressure of players who wish to have the same instanced content we find in most mainstream MMOs.

Posted by: KurBar.4618

KurBar.4618

Here’s the main problems and potential Solutions

Hard-Core Bosses
Problem
Karka Queen shouldn’t be on the list. 
Solution
A hard Core Boss will be the Ancient Karka of the The Lost Shores update(first world boss attempt) but it needs a balance and mechanic update.

Waypoints
Problem
People shouldn’t have to pay twice to go somewhere they want.
Solution
Make that the first waypoint you take is always free if you are not in the map.

Dungeons
Problem
-You can’t tell when they are open or closed.
-They will always be open(conditions for closing a dungeon never trigger. Because there is too many player defending)
Solution
-Make a simple interface in game with the status of the temples
-The events for closing a dungeon must be Hard

Orr Temples
Problem
Temples will lose their connectivity between zones
Solution
You should just keep Orr server based.

Guild World Event
Problem
-The consumable for Guild World Events needs merits
-Guild World Events upgrade will becomes available after your guild has researched Guild Challenges.
-Limit of 250 merits

YOU ASK ?WHY MERITS ARE A PROBLEM??
Because there are guilds that were created for killing the Hard-Core Bosses only. The integrands are from different server and they have other primary guilds.

Solution for Limit of 250 merits
-No more merits limit
Solution for Guild World Events upgrade will becomes available after your guild has researched Guild Challenges.
-Guild World Events upgrade will becomes available immediate with out requirement.
-Solution for The consumable for Guild World Events needs merits.
The consumable don’t need merits.

Or Alternative Solution for Gaining Merits(crazy idea)
If your guild do a Standard World Events and Hard-Core, Mega-Organized Events your guild can gain merits. This will depends in how many guilds members will be in the event.
Every member will increase the offs for getting a merits and this will be divined in layer.

Layer General idea
-each participant adds a % possibility of wining 1 merit.
-Guaranty merit if there is 50 participant in the first layer because it will have a 100%

Layer 1. 1 to 50 participants. Adds 2% for each participant representing the Guild
Examples
1 participants = 2%
10 participants = 20%
20 participants = 40%
33 participants = 66%
40 participants = 80%
50 participants = 100% Guaranty merit

Possibility to gain a extra merit
Layer 2. 51 to 100 participants. Adds 1.5% for each participant representing the Guild
Examples
51 participants = 1.5%
60 participants = 15%
70 participants = 30%
83 participants = 49.5%
90 participants = 60%
100 participants = 75%

Possibility to gain a extra merit
Layer 3. 101 to 150 participants. Adds 1% for each participant representing the Guild
Examples
101 participants = 1%
110 participants = 10%
120 participants = 20%
133 participants = 33%
140 participants = 40%
150 participants = 50%

etc..
This percentage will bee for Standard World Events. The Hard-Core, Mega-Organized Events can have a higher chance.
With this the only that needs consideration is if Guild World Events upgrade should becomes available after your guild has researched Guild Challenges.

(edited by KurBar.4618)

Posted by: Tigerlily.3765

Tigerlily.3765

This megaserver system is a mixed bag, as other have noted. I know the problems it is trying to address (people whining about OFs in living story for example, and empty maps for new players).

I just hate the idea of not being able to control what my map I am on. You can’t even have your party “look around” for a better map any more since you are prioritized to be in the same map as them.

The GW1 district system was still better. It’s like OFs but you can hop around to check for a map which suits your needs (either empty or full). TTS, etc. can look for an empty map to run teq/wurm. RPers can have a RP map. Guilds can host events in a certain district. All players can hop around looking for a group (if they want one) or an empty map (if they want to solo). This system was simple and had a lot of advantages.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Star Ace, bird has a point. Even if they worded it in probably the worst way possible. Other player on the map are not “dead weight” with regard to the raid attempt because of their personal skill level or experience. It has no personal connotation at all, what-so-ever.

In reality, a good portion of people that show up for community runs are new, not very experienced, cant or won’t get on voice comm, may not even speak the same language as everyone else, and are far far far from what you would consider a “l337 player”.

Fact of the matter is just that other people in a map that aren’t participating in raid activities seriously hurt the odds of being successful.

Just to throw some numbers out there…a map roughly caps a 150. For Wurm in particular you need kitten people per path to have a fair shot at success. Now suppose mega-server has placed 20-30 people on the map that have no interest in Wurm. They might be there for map completion, or skill points, or a guild bounty, or Covington or whatever other business they have. Those people are essentially dead weight , against the server cap, for that attempt. A guild or community organizing the raid under those conditions has no chance for success.

Basically guild/community raids now are at the complete mercy of the megaserver algorithm. If your people get on maps with a dozen or more people that dont care for the world events, or are afk, then you are just SOL.

Your tone is, unlike with the other poster, highly amicable, but do understand that calling ANYONE in this world for any reason “dead weight” is VERY offensive. Not justified whatsoever, and felt it was right to call him out on it, though probably he won’t care and keep insulting people left and right (sorry, I do not mean to offend you if he’s your friend, but he doesn’t make a good impression). Plus I am sure that those other 20-30 people could be helpful if not treated like trash and told precisely what to do.

I just hate when randoms are treated like garbage just because they are not part of the original mission. It’s stupid, since the event is universal, not instanced or Guild exclusive. Randoms should also not been found at fault if the attempt fails-that sounds like a Guild/groups of Guilds using them as “baddie scapegoats” for their failure. Well it failed so what you tried, it’s not their fault-especially if they weren’t involved in it.

(If this is a concern, ask for ANet to modify the event, rather than pretend that it NEEDS 150 perfectly coordinated people. The map doesn’t belong to anyone, raid guild, or event group. I frankly doubt they playtested it with such an absurd requirement.)

I know that if someone asks for help nicely for a big group, that I will. If treated like dead-weight garbage, I won’t troll them but clearly leave them to fend for themselves, for they “know what they are doing” and I, by necessity, am “useless” to them by virtue of being a random player.

See, it’s the hateful, “holier than thou” attitude I resent, it’s not personal at all. These are world events, not just raid group events. Assuming other people are horrible players-dead weight-just because they aren’t part of the original effort is insulting-of course they may be inexperienced players, but they may very well be expert players too with an alt, or be otherwise farming the area for any random reason (or just adventuring/having fun/killing a random champion/whathaveyou.)

ANet shouldn’t make these events instanced-just alter the difficulty according to ACTUAL participants (perhaps with a healthy, non ridiculous minimum required). And once more, I doubt you need those 150 players for the event to succeed.

I hope I didn’t offend you, I just despise exclusivism in open world activities. If it would be instanced, the Guild(s)/Group “owned” the map, and the randoms were the “invaders” trolling you just because they can, it would be something else, but no one owns these events and maps. I am sorry, but that’s the way it is, and it doesn’t warrant calling others names.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

This megaserver system is a mixed bag, as other have noted. I know the problems it is trying to address (people whining about OFs in living story for example, and empty maps for new players).

I just hate the idea of not being able to control what my map I am on. You can’t even have your party “look around” for a better map any more since you are prioritized to be in the same map as them.

The GW1 district system was still better. It’s like OFs but you can hop around to check for a map which suits your needs (either empty or full). TTS, etc. can look for an empty map to run teq/wurm. RPers can have a RP map. Guilds can host events in a certain district. All players can hop around looking for a group (if they want one) or an empty map (if they want to solo). This system was simple and had a lot of advantages.

I would also like to see them give the players more control over where they play and who they play with. I hope the long term plan is to move to something more akin to the GW1 district method.

That said, Im guessing there are technical issues related to that currently – so I am very happy to give the megaserver idea a go.

As far as the world bosses, the same statement applies – I would like to see them transition even more in the direction of giving control to the players. I love the idea of guilds being able to trigger major world events and wouldnt mind seeing them add the others (FE, Golem, Shatterer, etc) to that functionality as well.

It would address the issue of people who only play at set times each day missing out on some bosses and give guilds an amazing tool for planning an evening of fun. The more functionality they give us, the more control we have over our in game experience. That seems like a win-win to me.

All of that said, I really like the direction they are going and cant wait to see the new system fully in action later this year.

pdavis.8031

Star ace: I totally agree!!

The same thing with dungeons. I’ve experienced the same thing using the LFG tool. Running a specific path for the first time, get a group, people leave when they find out I’m new to that path, or have tried to kick others for being new.
The whole point of this update is to “Facilitate FRIENDLY play” People won’t learn how to fight the boss if they are considered “dead weight” and trolled and no one helps them. Remember you too were once a noob, and needed people to help you.

Yes there will be those in the map trying to participate in the event and not know what to do. There will be people in the map there for other reasons and “taking up space” but have no interest in the event. All that this means is that you will have to change your tatics depending on how many are actually doing the event.

recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

All that this means is that you will have to change your tatics depending on how many are actually doing the event.

If you’ve actually done any of the content this pertains to, you’d not be saying this. The three-headed wurm requires the coordination of a full map to succeed. Not a majority, not a handful, not everyone but the 20-30 who ignore you in map chat. EVERYONE. If you refuse to participate in the event because you’re doing something else, unwilling to leave the map for a little bit (this is the reason a lot of big guilds Force an overflow for wurm), unwilling to use the provided/offered means to communicate (teamspeak/ventrilo), or unwilling to do anything else to provide some measure of assistance to the raid, you’re one thing. Dead. Weight. You’re contributing absolutely nothing useful to the event’s success, and everything to the event’s failure.

Wurm is far harder than Teq is, and a direct result of that is that it requires a hardcapped server where EVERYONE there is there for one purpose: killing the wurm.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

The whole point of this update is to “Facilitate FRIENDLY play” People won’t learn how to fight the boss if they are considered “dead weight” and trolled and no one helps them. Remember you too were once a noob, and needed people to help you.

You make a good point. Too bad most people are more worried about their own efficiency. I would rather have fun and lose than spend time insulting someone for being a “n00b”.

Noobular

My only concern with the new system is working people who will be excluded because of the rigid schedule. Since my job is remarkably flexible, I’ll be able to hit my favorite bosses, maybe with ease. But others are not so fortunate.

Posted by: Sardonia.8196

Sardonia.8196

All that this means is that you will have to change your tatics depending on how many are actually doing the event.

If you’ve actually done any of the content this pertains to, you’d not be saying this. The three-headed wurm requires the coordination of a full map to succeed. Not a majority, not a handful, not everyone but the 20-30 who ignore you in map chat. EVERYONE. If you refuse to participate in the event because you’re doing something else, unwilling to leave the map for a little bit (this is the reason a lot of big guilds Force an overflow for wurm), unwilling to use the provided/offered means to communicate (teamspeak/ventrilo), or unwilling to do anything else to provide some measure of assistance to the raid, you’re one thing. Dead. Weight. You’re contributing absolutely nothing useful to the event’s success, and everything to the event’s failure.

Wurm is far harder than Teq is, and a direct result of that is that it requires a hardcapped server where EVERYONE there is there for one purpose: killing the wurm.

The thing is though you should not be able to claim an overflow just for yourself. To me that is just an exploit. The issue is the scaling and difficulty of the events that anyone can join if the want. That is something Anet must do. But making it raid content that is instanced should never be added since that is the reason a lot of people came to GW2 because it did not have raids.

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

I love how after hundreds of posts saying that the players hate this proposed change (let’s be real at this point after the money they have spent on it, it is pretty much a done deal) the devs aren’t responding anymore.

I sincerly hope that is because they are having an emergency meeting to discuss the overwhelming negative feedback they are getting on this proposed change.

I just have to say that the main thing that has kept me clinging to Guild Wars 2 through the ups and downs was my community. Now you are tearing that apart, no more guarantee that I will see the people on my server, no more guarantee my whole guild can get into a map together, no more time to just enjoy the world without being crowded by others. Destroying the community that people have clung to throughout all of the bad changes made is pretty much the worst move you could have made.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

I am excited to see this. I am excited for what’s to come next. Can’t wait to see how it all pans out.

EDIT: I just want to know what is so wrong with giving Lower population servers a chance to be part of the community. There is nothing wrong, we’re the Guild Wars 2 Community, not the Blackgate, Dragonbrand, Tarnished Coast, Henge, ETC Communities. I love my server just as much as anyone else, but kitten why does everyone wanna keep everyone else out? o.o; If you are friends with someone add them to your list, in a guild with someone then there’s no problem there’s already lines of communication open. Just right click their name and Join Their Map. If theirs is full, have them join yours. Tada.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

(edited by Paradox.1380)

Aidan Savage.2078

The thing is though you should not be able to claim an overflow just for yourself. To me that is just an exploit. The issue is the scaling and difficulty of the events that anyone can join if the want. That is something Anet must do. But making it raid content that is instanced should never be added since that is the reason a lot of people came to GW2 because it did not have raids.

Taking advantage of how the overflow system works isnt even an exploit. It’s using the tools available to you to deal with some of the bad game designing Anet has done.
The wurm itself is just a bad boss in my view. It’s also the only one that’s truly a “raid” size boss (teq you can do with no more than 100 disorganized people). It’s also the most unforgiving boss if people are gallivanting around like a mindless drone. And this is just made worse when it requires you have an entire map dedicated to just that event. No other event is that harsh, not even Teq. So instead of calling guilds like TTS “elitist” (a word far far too many of you throw around like it’s pocket change), realize that it’s the event itself that’s elitist. You cant half-kitten wurm like you can a boss such as Jormag. You try, and you’ll get handed back the tiny pieces of said kitten .

pdavis.8031

Yes, I have done this content, and was able to SUCCESSFULLY complete Wurm AND Teq, WITHOUT having a maxed out server (albeit, barely, but it can be done). I’ve also seen a bunch of “dead weight” players in the event, who have tagged, then afk to get easy credit, and still have the event succeed. It can be done. But to bash new players, or those in the area not doing the event, but doing other things, is just not cool.

However with the megaserver, and population increases in the map, you’ll still be able to pull off those events and not have to worry about “dead weight” players in the area.

recognize my command!”

eleshazar.6902

I am excited to see this. I am excited for what’s to come next. Can’t wait to see how it all pans out.

EDIT: I just want to know what is so wrong with giving Lower population servers a chance to be part of the community. There is nothing wrong, we’re the Guild Wars 2 Community, not the Blackgate, Dragonbrand, Tarnished Coast, Henge, ETC Communities. I love my server just as much as anyone else, but kitten why does everyone wanna keep everyone else out? o.o; If you are friends with someone add them to your list, in a guild with someone then there’s no problem there’s already lines of communication open. Just right click their name and Join Their Map. If theirs is full, have them join yours. Tada.

1) I live on a server that isn’t super high in population like a BG. I prefer it this way. If I really want to do some massive event I can guest to BG to get it done. I don’t want that massive zerg feeling everyday I’m in game.

2) You are assuming that their algorithm is going to be perfect, and you will always be placed with your friends/people from your server, and then the nooks and crannies are filled by randoms. I highly doubt this will happen. Instead you will end up stuffed in a map with a few people on your friends list while the people that you actually wanted to meet up with are in some other map, then you have to go through the pain of taxing to get to them, and if the map is full because anet is stuffing it with other people…. too bad. Guess you aren’t going to be hanging out with your friends today.

It just seems so utterly awful and terrible that I can’t honestly believe they ever thought this was the solution to the problem. Unlimited guesting seems like a far better solution, or server merges, or even underflows, etc. Any of those would have worked far better than this.

Posted by: AlexEBT.7240

AlexEBT.7240

However with the megaserver, and population increases in the map, you’ll still be able to pull off those events and not have to worry about “dead weight” players in the area.

It’s actually the other way around since more low lvl players will be present on the map versions thanks to the system makeing it easier to cap out plus you have to add the fact that most of the ppl attempting this will not even get in the correct version as the system will try to spread them out to meet the soft and hard cap requirements for each version. Basically if you think taxiing overflows is bad this will be even worse thanks to the larger number of displaced ppl.

Posted by: Kyven.7514

Kyven.7514

You make a good point. Too bad most people are more worried about their own efficiency. I would rather have fun and lose than spend time insulting someone for being a “n00b”.

Agree. I don’t mind playing a dungeon with “noobs” if they tell us they are new to that path. I will do my best to teach. I never scream at or insult people. If you teach someone how to run a dungeon path, then they may be able to teach another person that path too. Being a jerk about it doesn’t help anyone, makes you look bad, makes them feel bad, makes for an uncomfortable dungeon run.

If I want my efficient farming, there’s World Tour for that. The rest of the time I chill out in the world, leveling alts or farting around gathering nodes or the occasional chill dungeon run. It’s a game, after all.

My only concern with the new system is working people who will be excluded because of the rigid schedule. Since my job is remarkably flexible, I’ll be able to hit my favorite bosses, maybe with ease. But others are not so fortunate.

And that’s my concern with the new world boss schedule as well. Someone somewhere will be excluded. I may never see Teq again, someone else may never see Maw again, another person may never see Behe. My boyfriend spent some time this morning trying to make me understand that “the bosses are on a set schedule now, you don’t have to alt-tab to check the API now, you can just see that Behe is up in 2 hours just like it is now”. He doesn’t understand that there will be people who don’t want to stand around and wait at boss spawns, bosses that cannot be killed in the 15 minute time window, the timers are inconvenient to a lot of people and you will no longer be able to have the efficient boss farming a lot of people are accustomed to having. People will be able to troll the events intentionally or activate them for fun, which will rustle a lot of people’s jimmies, which will lead to a toxic game environment. Think QDale champ train haberdashery except now on a global scale.

“YOU IDIOT YOU ACTIVATED FIRE ELE BEFORE THE TRAIN GOT THERE HOW DARE YOU GUYS REPORT HIM NOW HOLY CRAP YOU REJECTS OH MY GOD YOU GUYS SUCK RAGE RAGE RAGE”

Whereas now on World Tour if someone does fire ele? Oh well, catch him later, we can go do 2 other bosses now.

World Tour is my main source of karma and loot and to a lesser extent, income. I don’t want to do fracs for karma, my computer struggles when it encounters a zerg of 40+ people so WvW is right out and frankly standing around at a waypoint waiting for a boss we may or may not be able to kill in a zerg of 100+ within 15 minutes is not my idea of fun. The magic happens in map chat, squad chat, say chat and Teamspeak where we are able to gather together as a community and shoot the breeze. I’m all for adding in new people to my pool of acquaintances but sometimes I just want to do stuff with the people I do know.

Lareswen-Human Warrior/Zinnia Epsilon-Asura Mesmer
The Tyrian Institute (TI)
One of the few Americans on Gunnar’s Hold (EU)

Aidan Savage.2078

You severely misunderstand how the megaserver is working then.

And if a player absolutely refuses to cooperate in the smallest means necessary with a run, or has no interest in joining the run to see new content, dead weight is teh most accurate title to slap on them. They’re taking up zone spaces that would otherwise be better used by someone who wanted to participate in the event.

Now, if they’re going to insist on having large guilds deal with bloodtide coast having 20-30 players worth of dead weight wandering the map, they need to increase the capacity of that zone by 50-100 players or drastically tone back how difficult those fights are.
Until the 15th comes around, large guilds are going to be assuming the worst out of necessity. Once it does, they’re going to have a chance to actually test this new system. And believe me, it’s going to be fun watching anet scramble fixes for server stability if guilds like TTS decide to camp maps like weeniedale and poke at the system until it snaps.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

1) I live on a server that isn’t super high in population like a BG. I prefer it this way. If I really want to do some massive event I can guest to BG to get it done. I don’t want that massive zerg feeling everyday I’m in game.

2) You are assuming that their algorithm is going to be perfect, and you will always be placed with your friends/people from your server, and then the nooks and crannies are filled by randoms. I highly doubt this will happen. Instead you will end up stuffed in a map with a few people on your friends list while the people that you actually wanted to meet up with are in some other map, then you have to go through the pain of taxing to get to them, and if the map is full because anet is stuffing it with other people…. too bad. Guess you aren’t going to be hanging out with your friends today.

It just seems so utterly awful and terrible that I can’t honestly believe they ever thought this was the solution to the problem. Unlimited guesting seems like a far better solution, or server merges, or even underflows, etc. Any of those would have worked far better than this.

I never assumed anything. This is how they said it will work… That is why they are testing it on only a few maps at the start. YOU are the one assuming since right off the bat you hate the idea without giving it a chance and trying it out. I am saying give it a chance I am excited to see how it goes, how it works, and what will need to be fixed. I am excited that I get to flawlessly expand my community and circle of friends without having to worry about what server they are on.. if I meet someone in the open world, bam I can be friends with them and never think twice if they are on another server. ON the occasions I hang out with my guild I know I will find a way to do the things I want to do with them. I trust ArenaNet knows what they are doing with this and they will make it work or scrap it to find a new idea. I am not saying it wont’ be without its problems.. but you can never fully test something until you put it out to the playerbase. But what I want to know is why my Opinion is wrong just because it’s different than yours. Because I don’t automatically hate the idea, I’m wrong? o.o; “All We Are Saying Is Give Love A Chance”

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

DISTRICTS!

(Remove guesting and its limits to how many a day)

Instead of the suggested boss timers, maybe collapse all the non-city maps down to a few, for example, 10 permanent maps. Each map has it’s own set of timers going for the bosses and the regular non boss events, just like the current system. The bosses can be started with events just like they are now.

So, I want to do the golem event. I check the app and see its on the containers stage in map versions 3 and 8 and I chose map version 8 from a drop down menu on the UI, like choosing a district in Guild Wars 1. I travel to an open wp on that map and do the event. Rinse and repeat for other bosses.

This allows people to start bosses and events as they come up as they want To chose the bosses they want to do. To find high or low population maps and for people to easily get into the particular map they want.

There still is a problem with large guilds who want to do the hard events. What if they have some way to open up their own district on command with that boss with it’s triggering starting event? Maybe it would require a guild vote and once enough votes have been reached within a certain amount of time they can open the district. Only people in that guild or people they taxi in can access that district and it collapses a set period of time after the boss event is over.

The district method also allows role players to chose maps they want to congregate in. If they all know that map 7 is the favored role playing map then they can find each other easily.

For WvW you keep your chosen current server name and when traveling to WvW you travel and fight there the same as now.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: pulseunit.8296

pulseunit.8296

This feels a bit like tearing down St Paul’s Cathedral and replacing it with a Christian Processing Mega-Facility.

Sure you get to process a lot more Christians, a lot more efficiently but you can’t quantify what you have lost. So it’s impossible to argue against, it happens, we all deal with it and two years later no-one can remember what it was like before.

Stupid progress.

(edited by pulseunit.8296)

eleshazar.6902

DISTRICTS!

(Remove guesting and its limits to how many a day)

Instead of the suggested boss timers, maybe collapse all the non-city maps down to a few, for example, 10 permanent maps. Each map has it’s own set of timers going for the bosses and the regular non boss events, just like the current system. The bosses can be started with events just like they are now.

So, I want to do the golem event. I check the app and see its on the containers stage in map versions 3 and 8 and I chose map version 8 from a drop down menu on the UI, like choosing a district in Guild Wars 1. I travel to an open wp on that map and do the event. Rinse and repeat for other bosses.

This allows people to start bosses and events as they come up as they want To chose the bosses they want to do. To find high or low population maps and for people to easily get into the particular map they want.

There still is a problem with large guilds who want to do the hard events. What if they have some way to open up their own district on command with that boss with it’s triggering starting event? Maybe it would require a guild vote and once enough votes have been reached within a certain amount of time they can open the district. Only people in that guild or people they taxi in can access that district and it collapses a set period of time after the boss event is over.

The district method also allows role players to chose maps they want to congregate in. If they all know that map 7 is the favored role playing map then they can find each other easily.

They kind of already have this in the form of 1 map per server. You can basically treat the servers as “districts” like from GW1 just takes a few more seconds to switch. If they removed guesting restrictions we would have the district option that we had in GW1. I don’t understand why that is so difficult for them to see.

Remove guesting limit = problem solved.

#NoToTheMegaServer

Pifil.5193

This feels a bit like tearing down St Paul’s Cathedral and replacing with a Christian Processing Mega-Facility.

Sure you get to process a lot more Christians, a lot more efficiently but you can’t quantify what you have lost. So it’s impossible to argue against, it happens, we all deal with it and two years later no-one can remember what it was like before.

Stupid progress.

I love that analogy!

pdavis.8031

And if a player absolutely refuses to cooperate in the smallest means necessary with a run, or has no interest in joining the run to see new content, dead weight is teh most accurate title to slap on them. They’re taking up zone spaces that would otherwise be better used by someone who wanted to participate in the event.

So by your definition, anyone who doesn’t play according to your expectations is dead weight? Not everyone has the ability to jump on teamspeak/ventrilo/mumble or have the time to join the event, but need to be there for other reasons based on their limited play schedule.

However, the megaserver won’t be implement in those areas for quite some time yet. And in the zones that it is being implemented in are low level zones so that bugs and quirks and be ironed out before being released on a larger scale. so this won’t be a problem by the time it does get rolled out to the “hard core” boss zones.

Still, bashing on and hating on those players, whom you consider “useless” is uncalled for and offensive to some. This does not support the idea of Friendly play. If you can’t handle a few extra players in a zone not fulfilling your expectations, it might be a good idea to reconsider your priorities in the game. It is after all a GAME, and as such you won’t be able to have everything you want or expect. Improvise, adapt and overcome. There’s no use in complaining unless you are following up those complaints with positive action.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

This feels a bit like tearing down St Paul’s Cathedral and replacing it with a Christian Processing Mega-Facility.

Stupid progress.

It might feel like St Paul’s Cathedral on your server, but on the majority of them this is more akin to bulldozing a giant abandoned slum.

Server: Devona’s Rest

AcidicVision.5498

Stupid progress.

This assumes people are so apathetic towards the changes that they stick around for two years. This is a consumer market. People demonstrate displeasure with their wallets. There happen to be two new high-profile contenders for our money.

And as someone noted in a meeting I was in last night “its really easy to spend more for gems in a month or three months than you would on three months of time in a sub game. This is the first time a subscription could end up saving me money”.

This just makes no sense at all unless ANet just really really misunderstand player needs. In which case we are here to bounce these sort of drastic ideas off of. Does this just demonstrate to us that the CDI is all bread and circuses?

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

1. Seems like these strict timers for WBs defeat the main benefit of the Megaserver system — that if you’re some unfortunate person who can’t play until 10 at night, you can still potentially find enough players, by combining multiple worlds, to complete bosses now. By putting them on timers which may completely fail to overlap with play schedules, you’ve gone from a system where they were likely to fail these encounters to a system where they aren’t allowed to play them at all.

2. For the big 3, they shouldn’t be on the main maps at all. Just add red waypoints to each relevant map that takes you to a special map instance that has nothing but the boss fight (no unrelated DEs or mobs, no nodes, no hearts/vistas/skillpoints, can’t even leave the fight area or you get kicked, etc). You could even add a training instance to unlock the red WP, to ensure that players have a basic understanding of event mechanics and level of power before attempting the fight and screwing things up for others. You could also tone down timers by removing respawn, thus leaving complete instance wipe as the standard fail condition.

3. In general, while I think the ranking concept and MegaServer is a great idea for the majority of cases, players should still be able to override it and choose instances as they did in GW1’s cities, to address those cases where the algorithm doesn’t meet their needs.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Posted by: ExAstris.8527

ExAstris.8527

Yet, the other news of yesterday said that “someday you’ll simply have one guild!” What is this I don’t even.

Dont take phrases out of context just to suit your argument, especially when they’re THIS out of context. What you quoted means nothing as far as BEING in one guild. Instead, it applies to the fact that large multi-server guilds are shafted as far as guild BENEFITS go.

Don’t look for malicious self-serving arguments where there might be none. It seems like he simply misunderstood the blog.

Some guilds are spread across multiple servers. The members have no way to interact with each other, and the influence they earn is restricted to a specific guild chapter on a specific server. What ANet is saying is that eventually these different chapters of the same guild will be able to merge into one guild.

Gwen Dlynn; human engineer (1st class)
Sir Reginald Doom; Charr necromancer (wip)
Aurora Skykin; Norn guardian (wip)

Posted by: Merendel.7128

Merendel.7128

My view on the schedule is generaly positive with only one significant issue. A set schedule like this limits what someone on a fixed schedule can see rather severely. If someone can only play the same 2 hour block a day they will never see quite a few events because there’s no chance for them to rotate into their available time block. At least with the old system luck of the draw might help them some days.

While theres no perfect solution to this there are 2 partial fix options I can think of off the top of my head.

First option would be invert the order of the mid tier events on alternating days. This shouldnt be too obnoxious from a scheduleing standpoint. It could even be tied to odd/even days of the month so people could still look at a schedule on the wiki or something. You’ll probably have the same events occuring close togeather at the change over unfortunatly in this case but no way around that. On the upside people that only can play during specific time blocks would see more of the events day to day.

The second option is to run the orange tier in pairs. I count 11 timeblocks with the TBD in there. If that is either droped or a second is added runing the events in pairs results in a 2.5 to 3 hour cycle asumeing you are not runing into the big 3 blocking timeslots on the hour. For a player with more time its no different than your current propsed system. They will manage to hit all of them in 5-6 hours doing one now and the other on the second cycle. For a player with limited time they can choose wich of the two to do today and possibly do the other in the same timeblock the next day alowing access to more content.

pulseunit.8296

It might feel like St Paul’s Cathedral on your server, but on the majority of them this is more akin to bulldozing a giant abandoned slum.

I’ll concede I can’t speak for all servers. Well, I certainly hope it works out for everyone.

Tasty Pudding.3764

Stupid progress.

It’s more like they made a coffee house featuring great indie music and rotating exhibits of cutting edge art with the intent that people would have a good time hanging out and chilling together but instead all of the customers instead insist on doing speed-dating sessions in the bathrooms. In response they decide to keep the bathrooms locked all the time except for 5 minutes every 8 hours.

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

(If this is a concern, ask for ANet to modify the event, rather than pretend that it NEEDS 150 perfectly coordinated people. The map doesn’t belong to anyone, raid guild, or event group. I frankly doubt they playtested it with such an absurd requirement.)

If the event is made easier, it effectively negates the entire reason for the guild’s existence. TTS and other guilds were organized specifically for these very difficult encounters. Without them, these communities would be destroyed.

TTS killed wurm last night with 5 seconds to spare. If even 5 people out of the 150 map cap were not in teamspeak doing exactly what they were told, it would have failed. Nearly everyone there was already familiar with the fight – if there were even 5 randoms not from TTS who had never done a serious attempt before, it would have failed. The encounter was designed to be this difficult purposefully – go back and read the dev comments on it at release if you don’t believe me.

Beating the encounter as is feels like a huge accomplishment because it is so difficult. Taking that difficulty away would mean that there’s no need for TTS anymore. The stated goals of this update include bringing communities together. Making wurm easier would destroy the TTS community.

pulseunit.8296

Stupid progress.

It’s more like they made a coffee house featuring great indie music and rotating exhibits of cutting edge art with the intent that people would have a good time hanging out and chilling together but instead all of the customers instead insist on doing speed-dating sessions in the bathrooms. In response they decide to keep the bathrooms locked all the time except for 5 minutes every 8 hours.

Ha ha, so true. I’m totally speed-dating in bathrooms all the time while GW2 happens somewhere else. And Oak still never picks me.