Feedback/Questions: Town clothes, Costumes, & Combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Narthexia.1836

Narthexia.1836

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ornate_Ruched_Shirt
So will i be able to use this in combat (usable as armor skin)? or is this one of the items that they change into an endless tonic or whatever?

And i take it, Reading Glasses can now be used as armor skin for headgear?

Because it’s a single item it will become a tonic.

You will not be able to dye it and you will have Anet fill in the rest of the clothes with it, you can’t just put this shirt on and have pants of your choice.

Posted by: theAravis.4756

theAravis.4756

Hmm. Sad. Guess I’ll be requesting a number of refunds too. Ah well, maybe I’ll spend the gems on armor pieces now that I can use them over and over again.

RIP town clothes pimpstress.

Yeah RIP :/

Attachments:

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

Can you still dye costumes? My Mad King was alarmingly pink.

Just a guess on my part , I think its going to be like the preview pane , where it will dyed as a set for each dye slot.

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

Posted by: Wote.3627

Wote.3627

A little added note here, Outfits will still respect the ‘hide helm’ toggle so you can absolutely wear Wintersday or Mad King outfit without the hat or pumpkin.

This alleviates some of my concerns as a role-player, at least, since it means I can at least stick my heavy armor characters in an outfit and have them unhatted, rather than try to justify why someone would go to a bar in a few dozen pounds of metal. It’s still not ideal, but I’m glad you guys at least realize that not everyone likes the headgear.

The Tyria Wildlife Fund: Having absolutely nothing to do with the Cyborg Moa Incident since 1325 AE.

… Yes, we know that it happened in 1326 AE. We had that little to do with it. We swear.

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ornate_Ruched_Shirt
So will i be able to use this in combat (usable as armor skin)? or is this one of the items that they change into an endless tonic or whatever?

And i take it, Reading Glasses can now be used as armor skin for headgear?

Because it’s a single item it will become a tonic.

You will not be able to dye it and you will have Anet fill in the rest of the clothes with it, you can’t just put this shirt on and have pants of your choice.

That would make it pretty pointless to me to keep the shirt. Wish gems could be returned for it, not going to wear something obviously where i have no freedom of mix and match.

Also funny, i once made a thread with a suggestion.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Town-Clothing-thoughts/first#post2750914

I guess they indeed don’t listen to us at all :P

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square

(edited by Retsuko.2035)

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

A little added note here, Outfits will still respect the ‘hide helm’ toggle so you can absolutely wear Wintersday or Mad King outfit without the hat or pumpkin.

But we want to dye them! And mix them up with other items!

Behold the beauty of an Asura with a pink wintersday outfit and a pink quaggan hat. This has been possible for a year, and now it suddenly isn’t anymore? I thought this patch was supposed to allow us more flexibility with armor? Seriously, at least tell us why you are doing this. As it is now, I can only assume that you just hate cute Asura in pink Wintersday outfits and pink Quaggan hats. And that’s evil.

Attachments:

Posted by: Nebilim.5127

Nebilim.5127

I love to use my Wintersday town clothes on my human male, but I really hate how the hat looks on him. I much prefer the coolio aviator sunglasses that he is currently wearing.
I would be very disappointed if he always had to wear that hat. x_x

I do like the Mad King’s outfit on my Norn, but I would also like to show his face while wearing it. I would also be very disappointed if he had to wear the pumpkin head all the time. :/

Curtis can you shed some line of reason why are you guys taking this path? There was so many ways this could had been better handled, but instead you guys decided to infuriate a userbase with pointless restrictions.

If said town clothes can be used in combat, why not treat them like the helmet skins? Why all the effort to turn old skins into pointless tonics? Why are you restricting us to mix and match?

Just.

Why.

The world is teeming with unnecessary people.
It is God’s decision that i fight.
As knight of honor, as protector of the sin. I sacrifice myself, for the blood of criminals.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

My guess is that as tonics they can create “town outfits” without having to worry about mix-n-match issues (like having to make sure all tops can merge with all bottoms), and have decided the number of people who mix-n-match aren’t worth investing the manpower into catering to.

Posted by: Horrible.3470

Horrible.3470

I love to use my Wintersday town clothes on my human male, but I really hate how the hat looks on him. I much prefer the coolio aviator sunglasses that he is currently wearing.

I do like the Mad King’s outfit on my Norn, but I would also like to show his face while wearing it. I would also be very disappointed if he had to wear the pumpkin head all the time. :/

Would you (or someone else more involved) be able to explain the reasoning behind these changes? I feel we’d all accept them a bit more if the reasons for the changes were out in the open.

Northern Shiverpeaks

Narthexia.1836

But the number of people who mix and match would be HUGE once they can be used in combat! That’s what held people back.

Posted by: Car.3805

Car.3805

Will we be able to request a refund on behalf of a gifter?

Awbee.8405

On a related note, I would really love for those ruched shirts to become available again. They’re pretty much the only item that looks feminine on female asura. I hope they become available again in the store, and that they will be dyable. Otherwise there’s not much of a point.

Posted by: Skipper De Longmont.8734

Skipper De Longmont.8734

My guess as to why the “outfits” aren’t doable as individual items is because when worn they provide a costume brawl skill set that you don’t get otherwise. My guess they did what they did to preserve the costume brawl aspect of the set as it was sold. It was sold as a set for costume brawl.

I will predict that come the holidays, that we will see the component skins of the outfits for sale in the gem store piece by piece.

My question is this, if the boxing gloves becomes my new gloves for armor, where did the costume brawl skills go for that item? How can I use the boxing gloves in costume brawl?

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

Curtis can you shed some line of reason why are you guys taking this path? There was so many ways this could had been better handled, but instead you guys decided to infuriate a userbase with pointless restrictions.

If said town clothes can be used in combat, why not treat them like the helmet skins? Why all the effort to turn old skins into pointless tonics? Why are you restricting us to mix and match?

Just.

Why.

Yes, this seems like about the weirdest and most discombobulated decision I have seen ANet make in over 7 years. It seems like it would have been so easy just to put a toggle in to show town clothes visuals instead of armor and to have left everything else in the town clothes panel the same. No muss mo fuss. But instead they take a weird convoluted route guaranteed to make no one happy.

Only thing I can figure out is they don’t want any more money to come to them from the sale of town clothes.

So please, WHY WHY WHY did they head this route

makes no sense whatsoever.

If you intentionally kitten off your players you should at least give a decent reason for doing so.

Posted by: Serezenith.3501

Serezenith.3501

@chemiclord,

Even if that were the case, why not make them ‘non-combat Outfits’ so that players can at least dye them?

Most town clothes are gem purchases, ergo monetary transactions, so the idea that town clothing owners are not ‘worth’ catering to doesn’t make sense from any angle. They’re paying customers. The customer isn’t always right, don’t get me wrong, but you generally don’t go to lengths to make your product worse if you want to sell more of the same kind of thing.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Is there not any chance to appeal to the Game Designers hearts to make the OutFits part of the armors, as at least mines (mad king, witch), are already mostly like the normal armors (and they mix correctly with others)?

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: DietPepsi.4371

DietPepsi.4371

Due to the large amount of negative feedback concerning lack of customisation on outfits, and especially towards tonics; please reconsider.
If the tonics are replaced by skins there would be a significantly smaller amount of users requesting refunds. (possibly none)
If users like specific items from outfits(of which they have purchased the entirety); they should be able to customise it.

You stand to benefit more from making friends than making enemies.

Also I hate my user ID.

Awbee.8405

My guess as to why the “outfits” aren’t doable as individual items is because when worn they provide a costume brawl skill set that you don’t get otherwise. My guess they did what they did to preserve the costume brawl aspect of the set as it was sold. It was sold as a set for costume brawl.

I will predict that come the holidays, that we will see the component skins of the outfits for sale in the gem store piece by piece.

Why not have the “set” in the toybox for costume brawl, and the individual pieces in the wardrobe so that you can mix and dye them? I think everybody could live with it if we had to wear the “boring” outfits and colors for costume brawl, but got to keep our dyable cool pieces for all other instances.

Also, why remove the town clothes tab? Having to pay a transmute charge whenever you want to equip town clothes is incredibly, unnecessarily punishing for roleplayers who swap these outfits several times a day.

Skipper De Longmont.8734

Another question, I paid for cultural armors. I had destroyed most cause I went for the achievement and didn’t want to wear the cultural armor. I know you stated that destroyed items wont be unlocked … but its recorded that I had purchased them because it was counted towards the emperor clothes achievements. Since there is this logged proof, will I have these skins available to me unlocked or do I have to rebuy them?

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

No longer are these items remotely usable in the way they used to be. No one wants an endless clothing tonic that “cannot be mixed or dyed”. No one. Not compared to what we had originally.

I have not seen a single positive mention of the tonics. And it utterly baffles me that ArenaNet thought that the tonic approach was a good solution.

ArenaNet, I know you don’t have time to change this before the April 15th update. But please reconsider the tonics. They’re a very bad decision due to being undyeable and unmixable.

I will be requesting a gem refund when the update goes live, but that’s not a satisfactory solution. I no longer want anything that’s available in the gem store. I’m completely disappointed with the way the gem store items have been handled, and don’t trust that my purchases will actually stay… you know, like what I purchased.

Max Lexandre.6279

In a very simple post, i would like our designers to put a little effort into the Outfits as Mad King, etc… and convert them into normal armor skins, normally this skins are almost the complete armor set so they would need some tweaks (specially at the legs part) to make it happen.

I Believe mixing this amazing pieces of clothes, gave us much fun, such, would be amazing if possible with armors.

Post your best clothes combinations that will now be turned into one outfit!
Appeal to the Designers Hearts.

Attachments:

Asura thing.

(edited by Max Lexandre.6279)

Posted by: Malvien.3264

Malvien.3264

I have just one question: WHY do you do this? I honestly can’t see any sensible reason for this, so please explain. I know that many people didn’t ever use town clothes at all, but some of us really loved our casual outfits. Why do you have to take them away and replace them with inconvenient, undyeable tonics?

Posted by: Aurra.4971

Aurra.4971

No one asked for town clothes to be handled this way, it doesn’t make any sense. I spend all my city-time in town clothes dyed to my liking – now as a heavy armour character, I’m stuck with a user-unfriendly tonic or wearing armour 24/7.

Not cool Arenanet, please reconsider.

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

What about ugly boots on the pirate outfit; can’t toggle those off! I am really upset at this whole announcement. If you aren’t going to do “town clothes as armor” right, don’t do it at all. I hate almost every complete set of townclothes in existence, and mix and match everything. I bought wintersday outfit purely for the boots.

And now khaki shorts and devil horns and bunny ears are going to be tonics? How in the hell does that work? Just by virtue of using a “bunny ear” tonic I’m going to get some bland clothing to go with it? Why are you taking away my ability to wear khaki shorts, casual hoody, wintersday boots, and devil horns/bunny ears at the same time? This is really upsetting. Add more customizability, don’t take it away!

Was it so hard to just add an override for each slot and leave everything the same?

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Max Lexandre.6279

Please reconsider ArenaNet, put some effort into cloth conversion to normal armor skins and not locked visuals with lack of customization!

Asura thing.

Narthexia.1836

IT is totally not cool. There is no way I would have bought that hoodie if I was told, A. I can’t dye it pink and B. I cannot wear it with anything other than what Anet tells me to wear it with! I bought it and the shorts and the sunglasses and put them together on a character and was happy and now I’m very very unhappy with a bunch of unmixable, unmatchable stuff.

And for what reason? I cannot understand, who does this benefit?

Posted by: mithroud.8249

mithroud.8249

NO mixing anymore? WHY? I loved my creations! Why not make 5 different costume slots next to the armor slots? And let only Costume Headpieces be mixed with armor to prevent clipping?

Attachments:

(edited by mithroud.8249)

Posted by: Reithe.5271

Reithe.5271

I absolutely do not like the change to “Outfits”. And I do not like the change to individual pieces to Tonics … and, without a detailed explanation, given that real money was spent to purchase those outfits and single item towns clothes, given that we’ve been BEGGING for more single item pieces and outfits with multiple parts … this is a really mind boggling decision.

I would very much like to hear more from the devs than “This is this way.” I want to know why items I spent money on are being made less desirable and useful. Why elements that I LOVED about the game are now being made … well, a lot less enjoyable and fun.

This is severely disappointing.

I’m posting to add my voice to the rest in dissent.

Skipper De Longmont.8734

Just thought of another question, sorry for them all.

Will the wardrobe also have skins for back pieces in it as well? I ask because it would be cool to use my Mad King Day backpack (book with laughing skull on it) on other characters of mine.

Posted by: HAWTERTHAN.7523

HAWTERTHAN.7523

Hello. Will we still able to dye the set town clothes?

What happens if I have many of one set, such as wintersday outfit?

Thank you and good luck.

Hawter

Posted by: BrandenburgAngel.7561

BrandenburgAngel.7561

I’m not clear on how turning town clothes into an endless tonic is improving their usage in any way. Isn’t it simply more plausible to remove their restrictions and/or offer them as armor skins through the new wardrobe?

While I am BEYOND thrilled by the account bound dyes- seriously, this is going to be amazing- I’m not sure… exactly what’s being improved with the town clothes/tonics change.

Posted by: HAWTERTHAN.7523

HAWTERTHAN.7523

Just thought of another question, sorry for them all.

Will the wardrobe also have skins for back pieces in it as well? I ask because it would be cool to use my Mad King Day backpack (book with laughing skull on it) on other characters of mine.

They do mention the spinal backpacks several upgrade levels becoming wardrobe items if you have an upgraded backpack, so I guess you get both the green and orange book.

Hawter

Posted by: Reithe.5271

Reithe.5271

What about ugly boots on the pirate outfit; can’t toggle those off! I am really upset at this whole announcement. If you aren’t going to do “town clothes as armor” right, don’t do it at all. I hate almost every complete set of townclothes in existence, and mix and match everything. I bought wintersday outfit purely for the boots.

And now khaki shorts and devil horns and bunny ears are going to be tonics? How in the hell does that work? Just by virtue of using a “bunny ear” tonic I’m going to get some bland clothing to go with it? Why are you taking away my ability to wear khaki shorts, casual hoody, wintersday boots, and devil horns/bunny ears at the same time? This is really upsetting. Add more customizability, don’t take it away!

Was it so hard to just add an override for each slot and leave everything the same?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS.

Posted by: AirimirOfGondor.9081

AirimirOfGondor.9081

Thanks for the clarification Curtis! I really appreciate that! How might my Aviator Sunglasses fit in with this?

Posted by: Curtis Johnson

Previous

Curtis Johnson

Next

Behold the beauty of an Asura with a pink wintersday outfit and a pink quaggan hat. This has been possible for a year, and now it suddenly isn’t anymore? I thought this patch was supposed to allow us more flexibility with armor? Seriously, at least tell us why you are doing this. As it is now, I can only assume that you just hate cute Asura in pink Wintersday outfits and pink Quaggan hats. And that’s evil.

Outfits can still be dyed, They will have up to 4 dye channels depending on the outfit.

Sorry about the mix-and-match. Converting things to be armor and combat compatible did come with some trade-offs. For the most part we tried to favor mixing with armor slots and skins (a lot more possible combinations). Hopefully we’ll see more consistently usable customization now that part of it isn’t hidden in town clothes that get turned off every fight. Outfits come as a set and equip as a set with the added benefit of not costing charges or requiring items to apply onto additional characters.

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

If they make individual town clothes piece into armor they can get the male medium wearers to stop crying about their long coats. The hoodies, vests and the GW2 shirt are exactly what I ask for my medium armor; something that doesn’t cover/hide half of my leggings.

Tonics are pointless: extra inventory space: no dyes, not useable in combat, and have to be reapplied when they expire/get removed, oh and they will likely wont be useable with the Halo/horn tonics, because they refuse to work with any tonic.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Curtis, thank you additional input. I’m guessing the folks at Anet weren’t anticipating how passionate the players are about our town clothes. Well, now I think you are realizing we are very serious about wanting to keep them. Next time, before removing something from game, maybe ask us for some feedback first

And please, I’m hoping the Ornate Ruched shirt and Khaki cargo shorts will be skins. Also, you never gave use shoes/boots to wear! I’ve been using the ones from the Cooks outfit, Witches Costumes, and Fancy Winter outfit. We need those shoes and boots!!!!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

Narthexia.1836

Taking away our customization just seems so backward. The complete outfits, bleh, the point of customization is NOT to look like everyone else.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

It just seems like the easiest solution would be to drop the idea of “town clothes” entirely, make any existing town clothes item function like a normal armor skin, and let players go nuts with it.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

ArenaNet, you were SO CLOSE to make something cool here, but as always you seem to kitten something up with something new.

Why, why tonics? Why? Why can’t they be armor that you can mix and match? Why did you think this was better?

I can’t even understand why, it just doesn’t make any sense at all. Why the hell would you make those town clothes tonics and not armors.

You are always so close to make something good, but even so you kitten things up.

Posted by: Wote.3627

Wote.3627

Outfits can still be dyed, They will have up to 4 dye channels depending on the outfit.

Sorry about the mix-and-match. Converting things to be armor and combat compatible did come with some trade-offs. For the most part we tried to favor mixing with armor slots and skins (a lot more possible combinations). Hopefully we’ll see more consistently usable customization now that part of it isn’t hidden in town clothes that get turned off every fight. Outfits come as a set and equip as a set with the added benefit of not costing charges or requiring items to apply onto additional characters.

As the day’s gone on, it was starting to dawn on me that combat animations were the real issue here, and I’m glad to have some confirmation.

While I know you guys are doing tonics right now, is there a chance that, in the future, some sort of compromise or revised town clothes system can come back? A lot of us in the role-play community really have enjoyed the ability to heavily customize our “civilian” look.

The Tyria Wildlife Fund: Having absolutely nothing to do with the Cyborg Moa Incident since 1325 AE.

… Yes, we know that it happened in 1326 AE. We had that little to do with it. We swear.

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

I just did a run through of my toons.

There is not one…single…complete outfit I like. the winterday outfit, for instance, just doesn’t look right without the top hat so just hiding the headpiece is pointless. So between that and taking away my hoodies, cargo shorts etc, you have just made it so that I can never use any of the town clothes I have bought up to this point.

thanks a lot.

if you can’t make them combat compatible then please, at least just leave them as they are.

(edited by Lamont.5973)

DeWolfe.2174

My favorite town clothes mix n match. The Ornate Ruched Shirt, Khaki Cargo Shorts, and the Cooks boots. Post your favorite examples too!

Attachments:

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

I’m looking forward to almost all of this new change. But I do not want my town clothes to be an all or nothing tonic. I want to be able to mix and match and get creative.

Or at least, mix and match if town clothes will become also wearable in combat then can still do that?

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Sorry? That’s all you have to say? You are completely scrapping one of the biggest rp features in the game and that’s it? Why can’t you just take the obvious route and give 5 override slots instead of 1? Or at least just leave town clothes in the game separately! I will flat out say it:

Almost every costume in game has at least one ugly piece!

Now that we can’t mix and match 90% of town clothes in this game are ruined. Imagine if you did this with armors: 99% of people would quit the game. Just because a minority of players used town clothes extensively doesn’t give you a right to treat us in this way!

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

(edited by Jabberwock.9014)

DeWolfe.2174

Another example of the Ornate Ruched Shirt, Khaki Cargo Shorts, and this time with the Witches Boots.

Attachments:

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

DeWolfe.2174

Almost every costume in game has at least one ugly piece!

Are you kidding???? More like every set MIGHT HAVE ONE good looking piece! That’s why we have to mix and match….

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Do you know why this is horrible?

It makes my character bald, it looks ugly as heck.

Attachments:

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

Yes, can we please just do nothing to town clothes instead? Can we please keep the town clothes tab/interface/etc as is currently? Please? Please? Pretty please?

Posted by: Combination NC.9813

Combination NC.9813

But we will not be able to wear it with other head items such as the earmuffs, will we? I find it completely unacceptable that you are removing my ability to wear something I have had for almost one and a half years— in this case the Wintersday outfit with the earmuffs worn in place of the hat. This is way too long a time for people to have gotten attached to their looks; have you learnt nothing from the Sylvari cultural change uproar?

I do not understand your choice to turn town clothes into an “all or nothing” thing at all. It severely limits our ability to customise our look, and on top of that you are even removing previously purchased items and give us a tonic instead, that cannot be worn with anything else or dyed. Why remove those items? Is is because they are not in a set, and you are turning town clothes into something only wearable as sets? Then why not just not turn them into sets, and let us pick town clothes as we would our armour sets. If making it possible for us to wear them in combat is important, why not just add them as armour skins available to all classes instead, and leave the town clothes panel as it is?

This is rather like making us unable to wear combat pieces as anything but a set, forcing us to wear dungeon pieces with nothing but other pieces from the same dungeon, and you would not do that, would you?

…Right?

Refunding our gems spent on clothes that are turned into tonics is not enough to redeem this situation. How are we even supposed to feel secure spending in the gemstore anymore when you have shown that you can and will take items and options from us without warning?

Knights of the Round Vegetable [SASS], Tarnished Coast.