Feedback/Questions: Town clothes, Costumes, & Combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I have a few questions that other might have. For one is, I love to mix and match town clothes. I seriously hope we can still do this as I own most of them. Next, will these mix and match town clothes looks be able to be applied to armor now? Which would be awesome!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Syosha.5917

Syosha.5917

If you noticed in the wardrobe article, there is a character dressed in the wintersday costume holding the legendary rifle ( I think ). This leads me to hope that maybe…JUST MAYBE…costumes will also be wearable in combat?

If this is so, it would be so awesome! I might finally have a reason to buy costumes now!

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

It says so explicitly:
Outfits will replace the look of equipped armors, are equipped in a separate appearance slot.

The downside is that it is all or nothing.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

I get to be MAD KING THORN!!!!!!!

Posted by: Syosha.5917

Syosha.5917

Thank you, I must have read past that.

Posted by: Xalugami.2096

Xalugami.2096

Is it confirmed that its all-or-nothing? The way I’m reading that is there will be a separate appearance slot you can move your Town Clothes into and it overrides the armor from that slot.

What’s a guy gotta do to wear his glasses with his Heritage armor?

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

Is it confirmed that its all-or-nothing?

Look at the screenshot of the Hero panel under Account Wardrobe: The Basics.

You can see an outfit slot to the right of the helmet slot. But only one. So I don’t know if you will still be able to combine, say, a tophat with the fancy winter clothes.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

And then we need to burn a transmutation charge whenever we want to move from town clothes to a combat look. Not great for roleplayers.

Jordo.5913

all hat/head options will be usable by all types of armor

Single items, such as the Fuzzy Hats and Scarlet’s Spaulders, will be unlocked for your entire account and usable with any armor weight.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

And then we need to burn a transmutation charge whenever we want to move from town clothes to a combat look. Not great for roleplayers.

Its sounds like gem store skins are just one time cost of 1 charges after then they can be reused.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Curtis Johnson

Curtis Johnson

Next

There is no transmutation charge to change outfits or toggle it on and off.
Transmutation charges are for applying new skins to specific armor pieces, same as now.

Yes outfits are all or nothing.
Yes wearable in combat. There will be no non-combat equipment anymore, unless you count tonics.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

There is no transmutation charge to change outfits or toggle it on and off. Transmutation charges are for applying new skins to specific armor pieces, same as now.

Could you explain the endless tonic phrase when it refers to townclothes pieces no longer available? will i still have my 4 pairs of hot pants? (khaki shorts)

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Howell Qagan.9752

Howell Qagan.9752

Transmutation charges are for applying new skins to specific armor pieces, same as now.

Yes wearable in combat. There will be no non-combat equipment anymore, unless you count tonics.

I’m really interested in this too. I have several characters with great town cloth looks, which are put together from different pieces and I definitely don’t want to lose those looks!

Attachments:

Jordo.5913

is the mad king outfit still clothing…or now a tonic?

Posted by: Malvien.3264

Malvien.3264

Does this mean that I can’t hide my fancy winter outfit hat and gloves anymore, or wear the reading glasses or fuzzy quaggan hat or any other headwear with the rest of the outfit? That’s just absolutely ridiculous, because I hate the fancy winter hat and it makes my character completely bald.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Ok, just to make things clear, answer with yes or no Colin if possible to avoid misunderstanding since people tend to misunderstand, including me :0

Town clothes are wearable in combat as skins, right?

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

[quote=3808902;Curtis Johnson.8456:]

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

(edited by nekretaal.6485)

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

NOW I wish I’d bought some of those great looking town clothes back in the day. Never cared before because standing around town doing nothing in a snazzy outfit is boring. But being able to rock a Mad King Thorn outfit in combat is hella awesome.

Please bring back some of the old town clothes to the gem store so we can buy them (more revenue!!) for in-combat use! You’ll have plenty of people buying the King Thorn and Wintersday outfits. Guaranteed!

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

‘Outfits’ are all or nothing. What about items that were sold as individual items?

Why is this ok?

http://i.imgur.com/oc1qxC8.jpg

But this is not ok?

http://i.imgur.com/vXM6dUe.jpg

(And what was wrong with the human female running animation?)

There is a complete inconsistency here, it doesn’t make any sense at all.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Thanks for the clarification, Curtis!

I, and apparently many others here by the posts, was taking the wardrobe panel to be like the costume panel in other games, where you set your look that overrides anything you happen to be wearing.

From your response, it looks like it’s just a way to transmute an entire outfit at once, which I didn’t pick up from the blog post. So if we want to switch back and forth between looks, we can carry around multiple sets of outfits that have been transmuted to the looks we want.

Am I understanding correctly?

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Thanks for the clarification, Curtis!

I, and apparently many others here by the posts, was taking the wardrobe panel to be like the costume panel in other games, where you set your look that overrides anything you happen to be wearing.

From your response, it looks like it’s just a way to transmute an entire outfit at once, which I didn’t pick up from the blog post. So if we want to switch back and forth between looks, we can carry around multiple sets of outfits that have been transmuted to the looks we want.

Am I understanding correctly?

Aside from the UI update and Town Clothing, in the old system, you transmuted to get a new look, loosing the old one. Now you can transmute any look as many as times you want as long as you have it collected. Thought it will still have the transmutation price.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

‘Outfits’ are all or nothing. What about items that were sold as individual items?

Why is this ok?

But this is not ok?

The article states that single items are usable as armor pieces instead of town clothing.

Single items, such as the Fuzzy Hats and Scarlet’s Spaulders, will be unlocked for your entire account and usable with any armor weight. Some basic clothing items that are no longer available for purchase will be converted into endless tonics.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

notebene.3190

Why is this ok?

But this is not ok?

The article states that single items are usable as armor pieces instead of town clothing.

Single items, such as the Fuzzy Hats and Scarlet’s Spaulders, will be unlocked for your entire account and usable with any armor weight. Some basic clothing items that are no longer available for purchase will be converted into endless tonics.

All 3 of those pieces are no longer available.

How do I wear an Endless Tonic?

Remember, our experience with Tonics have been things like being a quaggan or the halo. Every time I zone, I have to fire up my halo again. Does that mean I’ll have 3 endless tonics that I have to carry in my bag for the vest, shorts and boots, and every time I zone, I’ll be naked, and have to put my clothes back on?

Why not convert everything that was ever available as something you can use?

Why were those pieces removed to begin with?

I see what they wrote, it’s cryptic, and doesn’t explain the ‘why’ of any of it. Why put the extra work into making some things tonics when they could just be added to the system? Is it because there is something philosophically or morally objectionable to those pieces?

None of it makes any sense.

Posted by: Sonia.7910

Sonia.7910

If they work like the halo, and we can still have those pieces of clothing, I’d be happy enough. But my fear is they will be converted into the usual endless tonics: Quaggan, Halloween, Beast… which I don’t use nor plan to do.

That why I would prefer either to keep my clothes (please please please puppy eyes activated) or receive my gems (which I purchased with real money BTW) back and buy what I really want and I will use.

Also I don’t understand why outfits have to be “all or nothing”. Why can’t we separate them into different armor pieces, even if we are forced to use always that kind of pieces together, like Town Clothes forced us to do?

And what will happen with the old original town clothes? Are they going to disappear too?

Little lost clumsy thief in Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Most likely it would be a problem with clipping or coding issues of individual pieces of town clothing with actual armor.

notebene.3190

If they work like the halo, and we can still have those pieces of clothing, I’d be happy enough.

You’d be happy if every time you zoned, you had to double-click on 3 tonics in your bag to, say, put a shirt, shorts and boots back on? :|

I actually run around the world, in many cases, in my town clothes, if I’m gathering, or taking a long walk to, say, Frostgorge. Going into combat knocks them off, but after that’s over, a quick bound ‘shift-z’ toggles my town clothes back on again and off I go.

With this new system, I’d have to ‘shift-z’, which would make me naked, and then double click on 3 items in my bag to put my clothes back on?

I’m going to miss my characters. It just keeps piling up and piling up, little things that just don’t make any sort of sense, and them not caring about us at all as they march ahead and make posts about collaboration and demand we treat them with respect.

It’s the iPhone only available at AT&T. It’s awful.

Sonia.7910

Well they only have to treat them the same way as always, only allowing you to combine them with other pieces of town clothing. As if they were a 4th kind of armor. I don’t think it is so complicated (it is probably the way they treated them till now, I guess). So I doubt that’s the main problem

(Also there’s a lot of clipping with normal armor so what’s the matter with a bit more?)

Howell Qagan.9752

If they work like the halo, and we can still have those pieces of clothing, I’d be happy enough. But my fear is they will be converted into the usual endless tonics: Quaggan, Halloween, Beast… which I don’t use nor plan to do.

That why I would prefer either to keep my clothes (please please please puppy eyes activated) or receive my gems (which I purchased with real money BTW) back and buy what I really want and I will use.

Also I don’t understand why outfits have to be “all or nothing”. Why can’t we separate them into different armor pieces, even if we are forced to use always that kind of pieces together, like Town Clothes forced us to do?

And what will happen with the old original town clothes? Are they going to disappear too?

I really hope if it works like that, they do refund those items’ gem value.

Sonia.7910

If they work like the halo, and we can still have those pieces of clothing, I’d be happy enough.

You’d be happy if every time you zoned, you had to double-click on 3 tonics in your bag to, say, put a shirt, shorts and boots back on? :|

No. But I’d be happier if they worked that way better than to lose them forever. My fear is they will become Quaggan, Cat, Halloween or Beast endless tonics. Even worse: we will get account bound ones and we will get them twice, so we won’t be able to get rid of them in the TP. Anything different from that will be way better.

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

Just to try and understand. As a roleplayer, right now I got three different coats in my inventory that I keep taking on and off for the different skins.
So if I were to switch between these three, can I still have three different coats in my inventory, or can I freely switch between these three skins on the same armour piece? Or is it there it will cost charges? Because I would be nice to be able to switch freely between skins, and not having to have 3 armours in my inventory.

Shifu.4321

Well they only have to treat them the same way as always, only allowing you to combine them with other pieces of town clothing. As if they were a 4th kind of armor. I don’t think it is so complicated (it is probably the way they treated them till now, I guess). So I doubt that’s the main problem

(Also there’s a lot of clipping with normal armor so what’s the matter with a bit more?)

What I’m thinking is that they wanted town clothes with town clothes only, so if you only used,say, a shirt – that meant that you didn’t wear anything else. Anet probably didn’t want naked people running around, and couldn’t be bothered to code the town clothes with actual armor, so they went with a compromise.

Just trying to explain a probable reason why individual clothes weren’t allowed.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

Just to try and understand. As a roleplayer, right now I got three different coats in my inventory that I keep taking on and off for the different skins.
So if I were to switch between these three, can I still have three different coats in my inventory, or can I freely switch between these three skins on the same armour piece? Or is it there it will cost charges? Because I would be nice to be able to switch freely between skins, and not having to have 3 armours in my inventory.

It will cost you to put a different look on the SAME armour piece. So you still have to keep 3 pieces in your inventory. As do people who want to change stats, rather than looks.

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

So the only thing that changes is, that if you own an item, you can just copy it infinite time without stats. Thats awesome enough! Especially for Cultural T3 armor tbh

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: Curtis Johnson

Previous

Curtis Johnson

Next

The endless tonic will grant the appearance of the clothing it replaced. (along with some appropriate complimentary pieces so you’re not naked). They are new tonics, not existing ones.

Only one tonic can be used at one time.

There will be no town-clothes swap any more.. so you won’t be switching to naked.

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

Awesome changes. So individual ‘town clothes’ items will be wearable slot by slot, too?

And one question/suggestion: Can we get the show/hide check box for every armor slot? I have a friend who just wants to run around in khakis.

Posted by: AirimirOfGondor.9081

AirimirOfGondor.9081

How I feel about this will depend primarily on what items are being replaced with tonics.
Which town clothes will be replaced with tonics?

I think that town clothes should not be all or nothing.

I love to use my Wintersday town clothes on my human male, but I really hate how the hat looks on him. I much prefer the coolio aviator sunglasses that he is currently wearing.
I would be very disappointed if he always had to wear that hat. x_x

I do like the Mad King’s outfit on my Norn, but I would also like to show his face while wearing it. I would also be very disappointed if he had to wear the pumpkin head all the time. :/

(edited by AirimirOfGondor.9081)

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

“Single items, such as the Fuzzy Hats and Scarlet’s Spaulders, will be unlocked for your entire account and usable with any armor weight.”
(Via: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-wardrobe-system/)

You guys and gals don’t understand! I’ll finally able to give those gem store glasses to some of my characters! I’m gonna love this Wardrobe system so much!

Attachments:

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

WHY oh why, did I not buy the Mad King costume? Now I have to wait till Halloween to come around again to have that fiery pumpkin head on my warrior! Live and learn…. ;(

Howell Qagan.9752

The endless tonic will grant the appearance of the clothing it replaced. (along with some appropriate complimentary pieces so you’re not naked). They are new tonics, not existing ones.

There will be no town-clothes swap any more.. so you won’t be switching to naked.

Are we going to be eligible for gem refunds? I did not buy those clothes to be restricted in how I use them.

Posted by: Malvien.3264

Malvien.3264

I love to use my Wintersday town clothes on my human male, but I really hate how the hat looks on him. I much prefer the coolio aviator sunglasses that he is currently wearing.

I do like the Mad King’s outfit on my Norn, but I would also like to show his face while wearing it. I would also be very disappointed if he had to wear the pumpkin head all the time. :/

This! Please let us still at least hide the hats (and gloves too) like before. It’d be best if you’d still let us mix and match, but even getting to hide the ugly hats is better than being forced to wear them all the time.

Posted by: Relair.1843

Relair.1843

Ha! I remember you talking about this before in some post (mostly I remember adorable glasses picture). This should open up all kinds of new fun looks for people!

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Finally this game starting to get awesome permanent features,im watching GW2 site every day just to see whats next >.<

Sonia.7910

So “All or nothing again”. Oh well, I hate to lose the chance to combine town clothes, but at least I will keep the ones I have, and now I’m curious about the complimentary pieces which go with them. Hope they’re pretty!! XD. That’s better than losing them as I feared. Thanks for the clarification, Curtis!!!

Posted by: Bruiser.4189

Bruiser.4189

So how does costume brawl skills and outfits work now?

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

My Guild Wars 2 Cap! I love my GW2 Cap!

Can I have a T-shirt with a guild emblem now? Please?

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Shifu.4321

You just need the toy for that.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

How I feel about this will depend primarily on what items are being replaced with tonics.
Which town clothes will be replaced with tonics?

Both of these are important things to answer, in my opinion.

I typically dislike head-slot gear in MMOs, preferring my characters’ hair and face to most anything else. So if we’re forced to show a head-slot part of the clothing, that’s going to ruin town clothes for several of my characters.

Additionally, there are several skins that include just head-slot items, such as the sunglasses and various hats. Where do these items stand if the old town clothes system is being axed? How do they become part of the new system? Do folks who own them only have the option of swapping head-slot appearance and no longer have the ability to wear, say, the pirates outfit with aviators or the witch’s costume with Thorn’s pumpkin head, etc.?

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

Ha! I remember you talking about this before in some post (mostly I remember adorable glasses picture). This should open up all kinds of new fun looks for people!

And to think, they were working on it the whole time! I’m so happy with this update!

notebene.3190

Can I still wear this?

If not, why?

Edit: No town clothes swap, just read that part. That’s sad. But…I guess I could have created a “4th” set of shirt, pants, boots and applied those 3 pieces to it and carried those around instead of tonics.

Why won’t you let me do that? No clipping I see there, looks fine. Why?

(edited by notebene.3190)

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I actually run around the world, in many cases, in my town clothes, if I’m gathering, or taking a long walk to, say, Frostgorge. Going into combat knocks them off, but after that’s over, a quick bound ‘shift-z’ toggles my town clothes back on again and off I go.

With this new system, I’d have to ‘shift-z’, which would make me naked, and then double click on 3 items in my bag to put my clothes back on?

I’m going to miss my characters. It just keeps piling up and piling up, little things that just don’t make any sort of sense, and them not caring about us at all as they march ahead and make posts about collaboration and demand we treat them with respect.

It’s the iPhone only available at AT&T. It’s awful.

3 double clicks being a hassle is beyond my comprehension as being a “hard task”.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall