Feedback/Questions: Town clothes, Costumes, & Combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I think I understand what Curtis is talking about.

There’s a huge hole in my chest.

See, there are already both holes AND clipping so what’s the big deal? Let us mix and match and let players decide whether they want to use a mix that has some issues or not.

Over time Anet can correct the more glaring issues.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Light.7493

Light.7493

Its a good thing that the costumes can be used in combat. I understand that the town clothes cant be mixed and matched with armor skins but:
-They can be mixed and matched with each other
-They can be mixed with head armor and backpieces

Proposed Solution:
-Why not give the users to apply the town clothes like they are now except:
—They can use them in combat
—Head/Back pieces can be selected from armor skins or townclothes(convert all town headpieces to armor skins

In conclusion I would like to say even if my suggestions arent easily implementable, I’m still happy with the change and look forward to more improvements in this area!

(edited by Light.7493)

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

Dear ArenaNet.

Leave town clothes alone in all it’s entirety.
I used to feel like other people, wanting it to use in combat but now with this crap happening, I’m going to take the lesser of two evils and say that I want my entire town clothes panel to be left alone.

I paid real money to acquire things pertaining to my creative freedom. I did not pay money for you guys to take it away. I’ve seen good things, and dumb things, but this is absolutely the worst thing I’ve seen from you, ArenaNet. I thought throwing money at you was supposed to correlate to getting more of it in due time. Not change it to a system that makes it almost near-completely useless, such as these stupid all or nothing toggles which is equally as bad as costume tonics.

Please reconsider even putting the town clothes update out with the April feature pack.

Sincerely, an unhappy player/customer.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

“People who play GW2” and “People who like to dress up” = huge overlap.

Posted by: Chellae.8401

Chellae.8401

Saying NO to the impending town clothes changes as someone who uses them a ton!

This video (not made by me) says it beautifully: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ENbowK79GQ

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

I would vote that town clothes be added to the wardrobe pool as separate skins. They are already individualized items now. A lot of people enjoy mixing and matching town clothes and also would like to wear town clothes in combat. Without knowing the technical hurdles involved, I believe that keeping them as individualized items is the best compromise to satisfy the largest quantity of players.

As someone who has paid real money for some of the town clothes, I am disappointed at this change and reduction of enjoyment in my financial investment. To me, this is poor business practice and makes me hesitant of investing financially going forward.

I have to second this. 100%

Signed.

Signed!!

sighed

Posted by: WereScrib.7154

WereScrib.7154

Wait, so they’re removing town clothing because of clipping issues?

By that logic, shouldn’t they completely remove the Charr from the game?

This is extremely true. Seriously. Our cultural armor clips with itself. Not to mention for instance the Light Sorrows armor chestpiece GIVES US BRACELETS OF PURE WHITE.

Oh, and the duelist set has holes in it.

Oh, and the armor worn by most Ash legion NPCs has a well known clipping problem (a giant stretched texture in the left arm) on some body types fixed. Now the back just clips itself instead!

Hell. Everyone I know has some kind of odd placement, clipping or glitch going on in their armor. Everyone. Helmets that don’t fit the female Charr heads after a ‘fix’ for humans. Our tails in general. How about pauldrons on female Charr, how only about three are actually usable for each clothing type. Some even float so far away from the body that you could fit an Asura in the space between.

If clipping and ‘other problems’ are a concern. Maybe you should look at how your current clothes fit.

Posted by: Titan Cronus.9216

Titan Cronus.9216

GW has always had a general ethos of realism in the game. Like for example, you can’t make your characters look like manga or cartoon characters because they want to keep a particular sence of realism or you can’t make your characters super big or small. In my opinion, letting people be "able to “costume” while adventuring" is a step in the wrong direction. One of the things that specific and unique to GW2 is the Town Clothes system. It should be celebrated and expanded apon, not removed.

Realism? Like weapons that shoot unicorns? Or like wearing a stuffed quaggan backpack into combat?

Lol, It’s not lost on me the irony of my statment but the game is set in a fictional reality.

One of the main aims of any piece of fiction is to make the reality in which it’s set seem believable. So far, in my opinion, GW has done a cracking job but I feel that this does not complaiment the game.

Crónus : Human male Eelementalist, Desolation.
17 level 80 characters, all races, all professions.

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Sorry about the mix-and-match. Converting things to be armor and combat compatible did come with some trade-offs. For the most part we tried to favor mixing with armor slots and skins (a lot more possible combinations). Hopefully we’ll see more consistently usable customization now that part of it isn’t hidden in town clothes that get turned off every fight. Outfits come as a set and equip as a set with the added benefit of not costing charges or requiring items to apply onto additional characters.

While I don’t really toy with town clothes personally, I think I speak for all players when I say we’d rather have town clothes not work in combat then the ability to mix and match removed. This ‘trade off’ of yours is a deal breaker.

(edited by OtakuModeEngage.8679)

Posted by: Wote.3627

Wote.3627

Sorry about the mix-and-match. Converting things to be armor and combat compatible did come with some trade-offs. For the most part we tried to favor mixing with armor slots and skins (a lot more possible combinations). Hopefully we’ll see more consistently usable customization now that part of it isn’t hidden in town clothes that get turned off every fight. Outfits come as a set and equip as a set with the added benefit of not costing charges or requiring items to apply onto additional characters.

I think I speak for all players when I say we’d rather have town clothes not work in combat then the ability to mix and match removed. This ‘trade off’ of yours is a deal breaker.

While I’m in your court on the town clothes issue, we do need to remember that a lot of players are very excited about the outfit thing (myself included to an extent, although the loss of mix-and-match has soured my excitement a bit). Insisting Anet deny them their new toy rather than take away ours isn’t any better than the current situation.

The Tyria Wildlife Fund: Having absolutely nothing to do with the Cyborg Moa Incident since 1325 AE.

… Yes, we know that it happened in 1326 AE. We had that little to do with it. We swear.

OtakuModeEngage.8679

I think I speak for all players when I say we’d rather have town clothes not work in combat then the ability to mix and match removed. This ‘trade off’ of yours is a deal breaker.

While I’m in your court on the town clothes issue, we do need to remember that a lot of players are very excited about the outfit thing (myself included to an extent, although the loss of mix-and-match has soured my excitement a bit). Insisting Anet deny them their new toy rather than take away ours isn’t any better than the current situation.

I didn’t say a word about the new skin system, give us that but allow us to switch back to town clothes as we used to.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I don’t see there’s going to be a way to talk us out of this one.

Over the years I’ve become OK with energy potions, character bound dye and ascended gear. While two of those have been changed, it still payed to have an open mind.

This is different. The tonics aren’t so much a moot feature as they are a small apology gift for removing cosmetics right from our character’s hands.

They should at least be changed to armor skins at this rate.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Many people wanted to be able to choose their look for the clothing they wore while adventuring, not only standing around town. Apparently enough people that Anet decided to make this change. Being able to “costume” while adventuring is also a large feature in many other MMOs so having it here may attract new players.

Although I also want the “mix and match” ability.

GW has always had a general ethos of realism in the game. Like for example, you can’t make your characters look like manga or cartoon characters because they want to keep a particular sence of realism or you can’t make your characters super big or small. In my opinion, letting people be "able to “costume” while adventuring" is a step in the wrong direction. One of the things that specific and unique to GW2 is the Town Clothes system. It should be celebrated and expanded apon, not removed.

Realism? Like weapons that shoot unicorns? Or like wearing a stuffed quaggan backpack into combat?

Or maybe he means like the Lunatic Headless Court costume in Guild Wars 1. With this outfit you could either run around headless or if you equipped the flaming pumpkin head, which wouldn’t show with this outfit, you would have a flame where your head should be. Useable in combat also.

Not to mention all the tonics that turned you into various NPCs and monsters, many useable in combat also.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

One thing that occurred to me, just how long do the tonics last? Surely ANet didn’t make them like the Watchknight Tonic. Useable in combat BUT only for FIVE minutes then there is a THIRTY MINUTE cooldown. A totally unnecessary restriction that they might just have added to the clothing tonics.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infinite_Watchknight_Tonic
Notes
The tonic is a combat transformation, meaning you can still fight and use all your skills while transformed.
Using this tonic causes the effect Recently Transformed, which prevents any further combat transformations for 30 minutes.
The transformation shows your weapons and backpieces. ((Currently does not show backpieces))
The effect lasts for 5 minutes.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Frithjofr.2631

Frithjofr.2631

I’m a roleplayer. For me, town clothes are a big thing. I roleplay a guardian, there’s no reason she’d strut about her every day chores in Divinity’s Reach in full plate, less of a reason she’d go to the bar with 50 pounds of armor strapped to her. My ranger is a business woman and it’s hardly conducive to business to be strutting about in a trench coat or covered head to toe in daggers, so she does business in town clothes.

I’ve purchased more than two full sets of town clothes. Riding boots, pants (a lot of pants), shorts, two of each shirt (Except the vests! One of each of those.), one of the hoodies… There’s pair of glasses floating around on one of my toons, too.

So this, of course, raises a few questions.

1. For my duplicate town clothes, will I get duplicate tonics?
1.1 Will I be able to sell these duplicate tonics? (Gold)
1.2 Will I be refunded for the duplicate tonics? (Gems)

2. Why tonics? Why not keep the same exact page for town clothes?

3. Why not give us the option to skin our armor in town clothes, if you’re giving us that same option for costumes/one-off headgear?

4. If the tonics are not “stackable,” in the sense that I can’t use three tonics at once to customize my look, then what’s the point?
4.1 Are there any screens available of what the tonics “fill in gear” will look like?
4.2 You cited nudity as a reason for the “fill in gear,” makes sense. But if your system would have forced us to be nude in the first place, thus creating more work for you (in the way of “fill in gear”) why even bother? Just let us keep the same system we currently have and spare yourself the headache.

5. What happened to the unparalleled customization and unique character experience you guys were always touted?
(As I recall, that’s the exact reason “outfits” like the phoenix or magitech were sold as bundled individual skins. Customization. I could rock just the coat and gloves, where somebody else might fancy the leggings and head piece. The way it’s going now, with all or nothing costumes and non-customizable tonics, it seems like you’re getting rid of a LOT of customization. You’re forcing us to homogenize. It doesn’t feel like I’m a unique flower if everyone is wearing exactly the same thing as me.)

6. Did you actively consider and consult roleplayers (or the community in general) when you made this decision, or were you just oblivious?
6.1 Did you take a walk around Divinity’s Reach on TC or PS to see how common town clothes are?
6.2 Did you consider for a moment that roleplayers, although a minority, are a pretty heavily invested minority, and the group primarily hit by this decision?

All this said, I look forward to the other impending changes, but the town clothes to tonics just seems like a hair-brained decision. Attached is some additional sentiment. (Take it lightly, I know I did when I made it.)

Attachments:

(edited by Frithjofr.2631)

Posted by: Twyll Blackleaf.9641

Twyll Blackleaf.9641

Lol, It’s not lost on me the irony of my statment but the game is set in a fictional reality.

One of the main aims of any piece of fiction is to make the reality in which it’s set seem believable. So far, in my opinion, GW has done a cracking job but I feel that this does not complaiment the game.

I feel like the way the way the world of GW2 establishes believability is through its vibrant small-scale writing and design (conversations between NPCs that both amuse the listener and flesh out the world, little interactions like NPCs saluting you for killing Scarlet, more readable books and letters than the freaking Elder Scrolls MMO has) and the way that each player race has a culture that is distinct, interesting, and unique (as shown in the early parts of the Personal Story, before everything falls apart because the scale of the story starts to exceed the area where ANet really excels) and many NPC races do as well (especially the Skritt and the Quaggans, although what I’ve seen of the Grawl— albeit not terribly much— tends to disappoint).

The aesthetics of the equipment are decidedly NOT an area wherein ANet establishes realism, largely because of the presence of so many high varied cultures. You can have a glowy pixellated Super Adventure Box weapon skin designed by an Asura; an intricate, delicately detailed, and definitely non-glowy Krytan weapon skin designed by a Human; a set of industrial-looking armor designed by Dredge; and a bow that shoots unicorns designed by a really bored genie. You can already run around with dragon wings, holographic dragon wings, or tentacles sprouting from your back. Light armor, particularly female Light armor, and even some Heavy armor defies any possible Earthly logic; the only possible explanation is that the materials used in making armor are suffused with magic, and the process of constructing armor is more a magical than mundane one, so the scraps of fabric that barely cover a female Human in T3 Light armor provide arcane rather than physical protection (rather in the same way that in Dungeons and Dragons, a magical set of leather armor can provide more protection than a mundane set of metal armor).

That same argument could be applied to Town Clothes, many of which actually provide more physical protection than some in-game armors. “Introducing Riding Pants, now made using the same magitechnical process that makes your long flowing skirt fireproof and bulletproof!”

Of course, whether in-universe logic allows for combat versions of Town Clothes isn’t really the issue here; it’s the very poor implementation that’s worrying us.

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

One thing that occurred to me, just how long do the tonics last? Surely ANet didn’t make them like the Watchknight Tonic. Useable in combat BUT only for FIVE minutes then there is a THIRTY MINUTE cooldown. A totally unnecessary restriction that they might just have added to the clothing tonics.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infinite_Watchknight_Tonic
Notes
The tonic is a combat transformation, meaning you can still fight and use all your skills while transformed.
Using this tonic causes the effect Recently Transformed, which prevents any further combat transformations for 30 minutes.
The transformation shows your weapons and backpieces. ((Currently does not show backpieces))
The effect lasts for 5 minutes.

That would absolutely be heart breaking. I don’t understand why the watchnight tonic couldn’t have been designed like the endless quaggan tonics…. to be endless.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Posted by: Wote.3627

Wote.3627

I didn’t say a word about the new skin system, give us that but allow us to switch back to town clothes as we used to.

That’s not how it read. It sounded to me like you were saying “I’d rather not have the outfit system at all rather than give up the town clothes.” Sorry for the confusion.

The Tyria Wildlife Fund: Having absolutely nothing to do with the Cyborg Moa Incident since 1325 AE.

… Yes, we know that it happened in 1326 AE. We had that little to do with it. We swear.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

While I don’t really toy with town clothes personally, I think I speak for all players when I say we’d rather have town clothes not work in combat then the ability to mix and match removed. This ‘trade off’ of yours is a deal breaker.

You don’t. You don’t even come close to speaking for all players. In nearly every one of the Wardrobe threads I mentioned earlier, people asked for Town Clothes that work in combat. That has been one of the biggest requests since launch and one of the biggest reasons so many people gave for their lack of interest in buying Town Clothes.

Just let them put this change out now and fix it later, rather than asking for it to be scrapped now and fixed later.

Posted by: Ezekiel.1985

Ezekiel.1985

You don’t. You don’t even come close to speaking for all players. In nearly every one of the Wardrobe threads I mentioned earlier, people asked for Town Clothes that work in combat. That has been one of the biggest requests since launch and one of the biggest reasons so many people gave for their lack of interest in buying Town Clothes.

Just let them put this change out now and fix it later, rather than asking for it to be scrapped now and fixed later.

No, because it’s half finished and negatively impacts the majority of players who currently use town clothes.

Why is this more acceptable of a solution than putting it in now and fixing it later?

Because this is how the game has been for a long time. It is better to keep it as is until a fix is made that makes it agreeable to people currently using it as is, than to make a change that upsets the current norm, and pleases fewer people than it upsets – by a lot.

Posted by: Yumeijin.5439

Yumeijin.5439

No, because it’s half finished and negatively impacts the majority of players who currently use town clothes.

Why is this more acceptable of a solution than putting it in now and fixing it later?

Because this is how the game has been for a long time. It is better to keep it as is until a fix is made that makes it agreeable to people currently using it as is, than to make a change that upsets the current norm, and pleases fewer people than it upsets – by a lot.

And what about the majority of players who don’t use Town Clothes? You’re willing to delay a feature they want so Anet can fix the Town Clothes issue and release the whole package later, rather than allow those people to have their feature while a potential fix gets added to Town Clothes later?

Posted by: Sonia.7910

Sonia.7910

Supporting this video too!!

http://youtu.be/0ENbowK79GQ

And since I think creativity can be a good way to try to make the devs to reconsider their decission, here’s my two cents too:

http://youtu.be/0YgGuRIilAI

Hope we can continue doing things like this in game!!!

Little lost clumsy thief in Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

This.

I’d go so far as to pay $100 for my one set of town clothes on my thief to be usable in combat because I love it that much more than any medium armor set.

Think I’m lying? Try me.

[SoF]

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Yes, they asked for town clothes that work in combat, they did not ask for town clothes that could not be mixed and matched, and in comparison, the overwhelming response of this thread shows that if they must chose between the two, they prefer the latter.

Posted by: shogei.8015

shogei.8015

Yes, they asked for town clothes that work in combat, they did not ask for town clothes that could not be mixed and matched, and in comparison, the overwhelming response of this thread shows that if they much chose between the two, they prefer the latter.

Agreed. I much prefer the current system to the new one. I’d rather never be able to wear town clothes in combat than to lose my ability to mix and match.

Guild warrior for life!

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Town clothes are part of each of my characters’ identities. I purchased many sets (and I assume I get no kind of “credit” for having duplicate sets?). I also bought a lot of individual pieces. Many times I paid for a whole set just to get a single piece I liked from it. I LOVE to mix and match parts. I even have the fairly rare GW2 Logo T-Shirt.

I have a button on my mouse dedicated to fast-switching between my town clothes and armor. I want to be able to have both a combat look and a town look that I can swap between instantly.

It sounds as if all of that is about to be ruined.

No more mixing and matching? I checked… ALL EIGHT of my characters’ in-town looks are composed of items from multiple sources. Some of my combo looks are very fun and creative. I don’t want to be wearing the same stuff everyone else is wearing! “Sets” are the bane of RPers.

Tonics? Are you kidding me? You guys are going tonic-happy lately. Now whenever I switch zones I have to open up my Inventory and re-drink a bunch of tonics? (Not to mention that they’ll be taking up valuable slots in my Inventory now.) This is extremely inconvenient!

I understand that some people wanted to be able to wear their Town Clothes in combat, but please understand that you’re DESTROYING a major Role-Playing resource in the way this is being implemented.

I BEG OF YOU, ANET… think of something else! I can’t see that I’ll wear ANY town clothes anymore if I am forced to wear full SETS and/or mess with inconvenient tonics. Please hold off instituting this change until you can come up with a better idea.

Please?

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Sonia.7910

But we’re not asking to delay ALL the wardrobe feature. We are asking to delay only the town clothes part (if possible of course, but I do believe that if they want, it is possible) until they can find a way that pleases the majority. How is it going to harm the rest of the players?

Posted by: Klonex.4562

Klonex.4562

rip ~ town clothes, i also loved to mix and match. why Anet why…?

~Krystal <3 Angela ~
~ I taught cows how to Moo! ~

videoboy.4162

Yes, they asked for town clothes that work in combat, they did not ask for town clothes that could not be mixed and matched, and in comparison, the overwhelming response of this thread shows that if they much chose between the two, they prefer the latter.

There have been dozens of threads, pages and pages long, about the desire for a wardrobe and the ability to use Town Clothes in combat. You’re comparing all that to one or two threads about the inability to Mix-and-Match and claiming to be in the majority? That’s not how it works.

It would cater to far more people to put in the current version of the Wardrobe, Outfits and all, and then fix the Mix-and-Match issue piece by piece. And that would be far better than punishing everyone by holding off on the system, to please a small minority.

Posted by: Lamont.5973

Lamont.5973

There have been dozens of threads, pages and pages long, about the desire for a wardrobe and the ability to use Town Clothes in combat. You’re comparing all that to one or two threads about the inability to Mix-and-Match and claiming to be in the majority? That’s not how it works.

It would cater to far more people to put in the current version of the Wardrobe, Outfits and all, and then fix the Mix-and-Match issue piece by piece. And that would be far better than punishing everyone by holding off on the system, to please a small minority.

I’m fine with them going ahead with the out fit sets for now as long as they let us know that mix and match will be coming and don’t load us down with those dumb tonics.

Hamfast.8719

I’d go so far as to pay $100 for my one set of town clothes on my thief to be usable in combat because I love it that much more than any medium armor set.

Think I’m lying? Try me.

When you explained that you wear MEDIUM armor, I understood your point of view completely! But now we’re getting back to the old “thousands-of-trenchcoats-and-nothing-else-to-wear” issue…

videoboy.4162

I’m fine with them going ahead with the out fit sets for now as long as they let us know that mix and match will be coming and don’t load us down with those dumb tonics.

That’s my stance on it, in a nutshell. The entire reason I bought my Ele the Bloody Prince outfit, was because there were rumors of eventually being able to wear it in combat. I don’t want to have to wait even longer for that ability, when it can go live now and the undesirable Mix-and-Match fiasco can be fixed over time.

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Of course, its only been a day, whereas they had a year and a half worth of time to make countless threads begging for town clothes that could be worn in combat; give this issue the same amount of time and there will be no comparison, for in all this, I have not seen a single post that was okay with losing the ability to mix and match.

OtakuModeEngage.8679

‘For now’, and ‘as long as’ being the key words, they have made no promises to implement changes to this system.

Hamfast.8719

There reason that there are very few threads (up until now) about the inability to mix ‘n’ match town clothes, is because you CAN mix ‘n’ match town clothes (for the moment). Duh!

And check out the size of the “Show your armor only if it’s mix & match” thread that constantly returns to the front page.

People love to mix and match.

videoboy.4162

Of course, its only been a day, whereas they had a year and a half worth of time to make countless threads begging for town clothes that could be worn in combat; give this issue the same amount of time and there will be no comparison, for in all this, I have not seen a single post that was okay with losing the ability to mix and match.

There are actually several posts in this very thread that have stated that they’re fine getting In Combat functionality now and Mix-and-Match later. Two on this very page.

Sonia.7910

‘For now’, and ‘as long as’ being the key words, they have made no promises to implement changes to this system.

And that’s exactly what we’re fighting for in this thread

OtakuModeEngage.8679

There are actually several posts in this very thread that have stated that they’re fine getting In Combat functionality now and Mix-and-Match later. Two on this very page.

“and mix-and-match later” there is not even a suggestion or hint that this is so. In fact, from the stance the Devs have taken so far, it seems very unlikely, Curtius Johnson posed it as an ultimatum, “did come with some trades offs”.

videoboy.4162

“and mix-and-match later” there is not even a suggestion or hint that this is so. In fact, from the stance the Devs have taken so far, it seems very unlikely, Curtius Johnson posed it as an alternatum, “did come with some trades offs”.

I’m well aware of what he said. That still doesn’t give you the right to claim that you speak for everyone and ask that the working function, that players have asked for since launch, be removed until you get your way.

People should be asking for them to agree to fix the non-working/non-desirable part later instead of claiming that everyone will be happy to lose the other function.

Posted by: Calys Teneb.7015

Calys Teneb.7015

When you say you speak for everyone, you never do.

shogei.8015

“and mix-and-match later” there is not even a suggestion or hint that this is so. In fact, from the stance the Devs have taken so far, it seems very unlikely, Curtius Johnson posed it as an alternatum, “did come with some trades offs”.

I’m well aware of what he said. That still doesn’t give you the right to claim that you speak for everyone and ask that the working function, that players have asked for since launch, be removed until you get your way.

People should be asking for them to agree to fix the non-working/non-desirable part later instead of claiming that everyone will be happy to lose the other function.

He didn’t claim he spoke for everyone. He did say that the overwhelming response was against this change, which is true. I would rather they not implement this change. Many, many people agree with me. Some don’t. My opinion is still valid.

I very much appreciate Anet’s attempt to bring about combat usable town clothes, but this just doesn’t work.

Guild warrior for life!

Posted by: Twyll Blackleaf.9641

Twyll Blackleaf.9641

And what about the majority of players who don’t use Town Clothes? You’re willing to delay a feature they want so Anet can fix the Town Clothes issue and release the whole package later, rather than allow those people to have their feature while a potential fix gets added to Town Clothes later?

I don’t think anyone’s asking to delay the entire wardrobe system (although a few posts can be read that way; it’s likely that that’s not what they meant to imply given that this thread is focusing just on the town clothes/costumes/tonics issue), just the part that messes with Town Clothes. Numerous suggestions for temporary fixes that could very reasonably be achieved within a few weeks have been made, even, so combat-ready town clothes could be achieved without completely negating their appeal. (Although ANet’s lack of response a day after promising us a response is giving me a bit of doubt regarding the “in a few weeks” thing….)

Are there that many people who are really super-desperate to use town clothes in combat… but only as either uncustomizeable tonics or an entire outfit? I think it’s reasonable to assume that the people clamoring for combat-ready town clothes weren’t expecting the ability to customize them to be almost entirely taken away in the process. If someone said “I want to be able to fight in my Wintersday coat and earmuffs,” giving him the ability to fight in his Wintersday coat OR earmuffs isn’t exactly giving him the feature he wanted! And he had no reason to expect for an ability that he already had to be taken away, so why would he mention it in his initial request?

videoboy.4162

He didn’t claim he spoke for everyone. He did say that the overwhelming response was against this change, which is true. I would rather they not implement this change. Many, many people agree with me. Some don’t. My opinion is still valid.

I very much appreciate Anet’s attempt to bring about combat usable town clothes, but this just doesn’t work.

Go back and read. He straight up said that.

Sonia.7910

So that doesn’t give him (or her) the right to claim to speak for everyone but you dare to say what we should be asking?

Your argument sounds a bit weird to me.

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

Insisting Anet deny them their new toy rather than take away ours isn’t any better than the current situation.

Actually it is. It’s a lot more fair that way. Don’t completely break my old toy to accommodate a new one (a new one that, even now, is still only semi-functional). I think denying them the addition of a feature is much, much better than taking something away. It sounds harsh, but I think it should be obvious that loyal Town Clothing customers should come first in this case.

I obviously didn’t buy tons of town clothing with the expectations of ever wearing them in combat. Sure it would be a nice addition if possible, but only if done the right way. I do not think the upcoming way is the right way.

Hamfast.8719

Curtius Johnson posed it as an alternatum, “did come with some trades offs”.

Ultimatum, schmultimatum.

17 pages worth of concerned players in two days’ time with multiple devs contributing to the discussion should be enough to get them to rethink this proposed change a little since nothing has been done to the system yet. It’s not a done deal, and that is what the forums are for. I think our voices are being heard, and I believe they will try to do something to keep from alienating such a sizable portion of their player base.

They can see that a lot of people share the same concerns, so no matter what one dev said earlier, I believe they will hotfix a working solution for us. (Remember how quickly and well they responded to the Consortium Harvesting Sickle fiasco?)

OtakuModeEngage.8679

I am not asking to lose the other function, I’m asking NOT to lose a function we already have, as for many players, its completely pointless to have costumes as armor if they cant match them themselves, because its not the costume set that they want to become armor, but the mixes that they spent so much time and money crafting, and a new feature should never come at the expense of whats already well loved in-game content (which I truly feel most if not all players agree with); you forget that the Devs made the ultimatum, not I. I will admit however I should not have said ‘I speak for everyone’, but a reply was posted almost immediately in response, and I don’t believe in editing post that have already been set in stone by quote.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Curtius Johnson posed it as an alternatum, “did come with some trades offs”.

Ultimatum, schmultimatum.

17 pages worth of concerned players in two days’ time with multiple devs contributing to the discussion should be enough to get them to rethink this proposed change a little since nothing has been done to the system yet. It’s not a done deal, and that is what the forums are for. I think our voices are being heard, and I believe they will try to do something to keep from alienating such a sizable portion of their player base.

They can see that a lot of people share the same concerns, so no matter what one dev said earlier, I believe they will hotfix a working solution for us. (Remember how quickly and well they responded to the Consortium Harvesting Sickle fiasco?)

Didn’t do jack squat for Crit damage changes and the watchwork pick still gives out sprockets.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Hamfast.8719

Dumb Idea:

Keep Town Clothes as-is. Add an item to the Gem Store (money, guys!) that will turn one piece of town clothing into an armor skin. Maybe even add a reversal item, to restore it to Town Clothing status if desired.

Everybody wins, right? ANet makes money in the Gem Store. People who want to use Town Clothes as armor can do so. People who want the status quo with their Town Clothes don’t have to make a sacrifice.

Thoughts? Do I win a cookie?

shogei.8015

Go back and read. He straight up said that.

Way to cherry pick. Scrolling back much further he did say “I think I speak for all players”. You win a point. How about addressing the meat of my argument?

It’s still true that the overwhelming majority prefer not to implement the new town clothes system. People who never, ever were interested in fighting in town clothes are now losing a big piece of functionality. People who wanted to fight in town clothes are not getting the full functionality that many were expecting.

The update harms more players than it helps. Holding off on this costs you nothing – you are no worse off than you ever were. Implementing it degrades the experience for a lot of people.

Guild warrior for life!