Final Rest - Current Theories

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Syeria.4812

Syeria.4812

I have some terrific new information everyone. I talked with Mr. Vaughn this weekend and here is what I was told in quotes.

After saying I’ve looked for clues and the staff in AC, and run Zho’qafa catacombs a ton of times, I asked him if he can atleast tell me if its in the open world or not.
“I can’t give away any spoilers, but I can confirm that I’ve looked at the loot tables, and it is in the game. It’s a very rare reward from defeating a boss in the open world.”

I asked him if there were any clues besides NPC dialog that could hint on where it drops
" I don’t know what clues might be present, sorry. Good luck!"

Finally I asked him about the conflicting hints between him and Ms. Murdock about how she said it drops from a Large (no classification as large so this could mean 3 different kinds of chest) boss chest and him saying it drops from a rare boss, I asked is it from a chest or a boss?

“That’s a distinction that I can’t really make, sorry.”

So ill probably set off on an adventure doing every Meta event in the game trying to find chest that may be considered large. I’ve done zho’qafa so many times I’m still a bit weary if it drops from there. I would like it to be connected to lore or at least have some kind of connection to where it drops, but there are no promises. Will be an interesting week. If anyone wants to join me on this, I’m on Yak’s Bend.

Great, so now we have a third source of vague information which may or may not conflict with the previous two. You guys have got to be the worst clue-givers in the world, it’s like like trying to trying to count to 100 with a crowd shouting random numbers in your ear.

I don’t see how that could conflict with any of the existing information. It’s also quite helpful as it clearly eliminates two of the six originally listed theories for this thread.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I have some terrific new information everyone. I talked with Mr. Vaughn this weekend and here is what I was told in quotes.

After saying I’ve looked for clues and the staff in AC, and run Zho’qafa catacombs a ton of times, I asked him if he can atleast tell me if its in the open world or not.
“I can’t give away any spoilers, but I can confirm that I’ve looked at the loot tables, and it is in the game. It’s a very rare reward from defeating a boss in the open world.”

I asked him if there were any clues besides NPC dialog that could hint on where it drops

Finally I asked him about the conflicting hints between him and Ms. Murdock about how she said it drops from a Large (no classification as large so this could mean 3 different kinds of chest) boss chest and him saying it drops from a rare boss, I asked is it from a chest or a boss?

So ill probably set off on an adventure doing every Meta event in the game trying to find chest that may be considered large. I’ve done zho’qafa so many times I’m still a bit weary if it drops from there. I would like it to be connected to lore or at least have some kind of connection to where it drops, but there are no promises. Will be an interesting week. If anyone wants to join me on this, I’m on Yak’s Bend.

Great, so now we have a third source of vague information which may or may not conflict with the previous two. You guys have got to be the worst clue-givers in the world, it’s like like trying to trying to count to 100 with a crowd shouting random numbers in your ear.

I don’t see how that could conflict with any of the existing information. It’s also quite helpful as it clearly eliminates two of the six originally listed theories for this thread.

I think he means the last part. The open world part is helpful (I think… depends on his definition of open world), the other part isn’t as helpful. It doesn’t say one of the devs was wrong (or right), and is even more confusing now.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Yeah, we know that it drops in the open world, and nothing else. Which really isn’t much help since we pretty much already knew that. Each dungeon has been run millions of times by now by millions of players, no matter how small the rate odds are it would have dropped for somebody.

We don’t know what ‘rare’ means anymore either, he said it’s a ‘rare’ drop, not from a rare boss, but it could still be one or the other or even both. That’s been made less clear now. And now we don’t know if it’s a specific boss anymore or if Lindsey was mistaken.

And now we don’t know whether or not it’s from a chest at all, because he couldn’t make that distinction from just looking at the loot tables. Before we didn’t know what defined a large chest, now it could be an (indefinable) large chest, or not a chest at all.

This is just getting worse.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Syeria.4812

Yeah, we know that it drops in the open world, and nothing else. Which really isn’t much help since we pretty much already knew that. Each dungeon has been run millions of times by now by millions of players, no matter how small it would have dropped for somebody by now.

We don’t know what ‘rare’ means anymore, he said it’s a ‘rare’ drop, not from a rare boss, but it could still be one or the other or even both. That’s been made less clear now. And now we don’t know if it’s a specific boss either.

We also don’t know whether or not it’s from a chest at all, because he couldn’t make that distinction from just looking at the loot tables. Before we didn’t know what defined a large chest, now it could be a large chest or not, or not a chest at all.

This is just getting worse.

You’re desperately reaching to try claim it’s worse now. He stated that it’s a very rare reward for defeating a particular boss. This does absolutely nothing to make things more confusing. It merely clarifies that it is a very low drop rate item (which we already suspected) and that it’s acquired via a boss fight (which we already knew). This statement does not make anything more confusing, nor does it conflict with previous statements.

As for the seeming disconnect between the previous two statements, his statement is that he is not at liberty to share information on that point. He couldn’t possibly have made anything more confusing as he essentially said “I’m not going to tell you” and nothing more.

Furthermore on that point, we don’t actually necessarily have a disconnect between the previous statements. Linsey stated it came from a boss chest. Jeffrey stated that it’s loot from a specific boss. Those statements don’t necessarily conflict unless you’re being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic. If I open the chest following the Claw of Jormag event, how do I describe that loot? It would tell my guild “I got this exotic from Jormag!” Yes, technically I looted the chest I received for defeating the Claw of Jormag, and did not receive a loot drop directly from the boss itself. However, every single person who has ever participated in that event immediately knows exactly what my statement meant, despite the fact that on an extremely technical level it was not quite accurate.

Posted by: Blueshield.6291

Blueshield.6291

Furthermore on that point, we don’t actually necessarily have a disconnect between the previous statements. Linsey stated it came from a boss chest. Jeffrey stated that it’s loot from a specific boss. Those statements don’t necessarily conflict unless you’re being pedantic for the sake of being pedantic. If I open the chest following the Claw of Jormag event, how do I describe that loot? It would tell my guild “I got this exotic from Jormag!” Yes, technically I looted the chest I received for defeating the Claw of Jormag, and did not receive a loot drop directly from the boss itself. However, every single person who has ever participated in that event immediately knows exactly what my statement meant, despite the fact that on an extremely technical level it was not quite accurate.

I concur that the only result of this additional information is to narrow the field – while Mr. Vaughn unfortunately chose not to narrow it as much as we’d like, he has allowed us to rule out dungeons entirely.

While I agree that it’s possible that there’s not a disconnect between the two prior statements (drop from rare boss vs. large chest), we don’t have any information that allows us to jump one way or the other. I was inclined to opt for the “boss-drops-a-large-chest” interpretation until these latest quotations came to light – now I’m not so certain. What is served by refusing to confirm the veracity of a previous hint? An explanation along the lines you gave above would indicate that neither previous quotation was in error, whereas “no comment” just looks suspicious.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I completed the mini-dungeon long ago (Disseau area). Though I think I was pretty low lvl at the time so can’t contribute to that theory.
It wasn’t a unicorn or a giant bunny but I did find a Champion Ram up on the mountain side while wandering around in Shiverpeaks way back. They have Champs scattered about all over in out-of-the-way places. Myself and one other ran up on a Champ Hylek once and tried to kill it. Ranger + Mesmer vs Champ Hylek = fail. That was a long time ago and many levels before 80 while running around for map completion.
I participated in a Champ event somewhere in Metrica (asuran area not sure which) with the flame destroyer and his awful insta kills for low level characters. Again it was long ago but that group of 8 players all wiped because we underestimated the Champ.
I’m going to be working on map completion with my Guardian soon and will keep an eye out for Champs and Bosses in hidden places.
Anyone know what the Gendarran Fields puzzle area yields at the end… Forgot the name but its top of the map slightly right of center. There is an NPC standing outside and when you enter there are fire and spike traps plus lots of vet oozes. Never made it to the end.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: JarXLite.6720

JarXLite.6720

I have a very strong feeling that it might drop in the mini-dungeon I said earlier. Other than that, has anyone finished their “Explorer” achievements? maybe the boss is hidden in one of those. I know that “Tears of Italaocol” is a very in depth puzzle and is an explorer achievement, so maybe its something like that.

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Conncept.7638

You’re desperately reaching to try claim it’s worse now. He stated that it’s a very rare reward for defeating a particular boss.

No, he did not. And your inability to properly interpret a basic sentence does not define completely logical interpretation as ‘reaching’.

“It’s a very rare reward from defeating a boss in the open world”

He said ‘a boss’ not ‘A specific boss’ as was previously stated. It could be on the loot table of many bosses or a single one, or even the loot table of every single boss and just be exceedingly rare. And you’d have to be a complete idiot to think it’s not a rare reward at this point anyway, so that information was confusing, useless, and obvious; pointed out unnecessarily on both your part and his.

As for the seeming disconnect between the previous two statements, his statement is that he is not at liberty to share information on that point. He couldn’t possibly have made anything more confusing as he essentially said “I’m not going to tell you” and nothing more.

Lindsey: “It is dropped from a LARGE boss chest.”

Matt: “It’s a loot drop from a specific (rare) boss.”

Which is it? Not all bosses drop chests, and not all bosses have lootable corpses. Some only drop corpse loot, or only a chest, or even guard a chest that is always there if you can reach it. Is it a large chest from a specific boss, or any boss with a large chest? (Whatever a large chest may be…)

This is a huge disconnect and essentially opens up the search to two possibilities.

• A) The rare drop of either the lootable corpse of or chest spawned by a single specific boss in the world, which may or may not be a rare spawn, and/or whose chest may or may not be large.
  • B) The infinitesimally rare drop of any group of bosses, or possibly even every boss, who may or may not spawn rarely; and who may have a lootable corpse or spawn a lootable chest of indeterminate size.

Those two possibilities narrow the search down to everything in the open game world.

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

I’ve done every mini dungeon and speaking from a lore perspective none of them (except maybe dredgenaught clifss) would drop it.

What I think is meant by LARGE boss chest is that it drops from a chest that gives the same items as a glorious. As in since glorious gives 3 items + t5 gem, we need to find a name chest that gives the same amount and is spawned after a boss. Ill probably create a different thread listing every single Meta event that spawns a chest that has a unique name.

When I asked him about the location, this is what I said, “I’m not asking for the exact location, just a hint again. I know there are two, but they are so confusing. Is it in the open world? If so which area, such as Shiverpeaks, Ascolan, Kryta, etc. If not, is it in a dungeon? Mini dungeon? Jumping Puzzle?”. Ill have to run the mini dungeons again looking for unique chest, but I don’t think any of the had it.

Posted by: Iceinux.4738

Iceinux.4738

Infernia.9847 the mini dungeon in Diessa “Flame Temple Tombs” on the wiki has a unique chest, however if you do the event now it is just a grand chest, I farmed it a few weeks ago daily and I can confirm that the chest is no longer Rhendak’s Chest. Doing some other research I found that there is a level 80 exotic spear called Rhendak’s something that has also not been found in the game, chances are when they changed the chest in there it lost its ability to drop, which is why it hasn’t been seen either.

JarXLite.6720

LARGE boss chest could mean two different things.
1. A chest from a LARGE BOSS
2. A LARGE chest from any boss

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Deified.7520

@Jarxlite.6720

Im going to stand by initial theory. I believe she meant large as in the amount of items you can get out of it, which (other than epic bosses) is 3+t5 gem. Now since she didn’t say glorious, but rather boss chest, she must be talking about a chest that has a unique name. They are usually named after the bosses.

JarXLite.6720

Does anyone have/can find a list of all the named chests in the game? I think that would be very useful in helping us figure this out

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Posted by: Excelliate.7914

Excelliate.7914

What about the chain of events in Barradin’s crypts? It has a bunch of bosses and multiple chests, plus it’s a tomb, which goes well with ‘Final Rest’, as well as the final boss being a mage.

Regnum Ascalon [RegA] ~~ Dragonbrand

JarXLite.6720

What about the chain of events in Barradin’s crypts? It has a bunch of bosses and multiple chests, plus it’s a tomb, which goes well with ‘Final Rest’, as well as the final boss being a mage.

Are any of those chests named? I honestly have no idea

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Posted by: Excelliate.7914

Excelliate.7914

I can’t remember either… I think they’re just splendid chests. Though, just because a chest isn’t named uniquely, that doesn’t mean it shares a loot table with everything else — the chest could just be an chest template, and then they link it to a drop table, I have no idea how it’s coded.

Regnum Ascalon [RegA] ~~ Dragonbrand

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

The staff in my eyes is very ugly, does it have any especial effect? because if its just an static scythe looks, i dont know why you desire it too much, but good to know if i ever get it ill sell it even more expensive than the bifrost.

I took an arrow to the knee

JarXLite.6720

The staff in my eyes is very ugly, does it have any especial effect? because if its just an static scythe looks, i dont know why you desire it too much, but good to know if i ever get it ill sell it even more expensive than the bifrost.

I assure you that if I find it, I will sell it for an outrageous amount of money. And I also assure you that SOMEONE will buy it

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Hey guys, just some food for toughts…looking at final rest on wiki it says req. lvl is 80 which probably means it has to be from lvl 80 boss or event (probably both). Id say Cursed Shore or Malchor’s Leap should be logical place for search.

You are either new to this game, or never been low zones when you are 80. Low level monsters, bosses and events can still drop lvl 80 rares and exotics…

To answer you, no and yes. Im playing since day 1 and i have been to low lvl zones as 80.

I base my logic on several factors:
1. Orr was supposed to be end-game zones so it would make sense to put rare thing like this there, +this zones have biggest connection to current story playing out.

2. Skin itself looks like something that belongs to Orr.

3. Lvl req. is 80, it should logicaly be put to zone where lvl 80 monsters are, putting it in low lvl zone would disqualify every player that isnt lvl 80 but is doing boss event. This way even lvl 78 can loot Final Rest if he finish lvl 80 event/boss.

Posted by: Blueshield.6291

Blueshield.6291

3. Lvl req. is 80, it should logicaly be put to zone where lvl 80 monsters are, putting it in low lvl zone would disqualify every player that isnt lvl 80 but is doing boss event. This way even lvl 78 can loot Final Rest if he finish lvl 80 event/boss.

A logical conclusion, but bear in mind the fact that this item has apparently never been obtained. Given that level 80 players tend to gravitate towards level 80 content in the open world, it seems quite likely that the source could be tucked away in a lower-level zone.

Whoever the boss is, it has to have been hit by few enough eighties to have essentially never dropped Final Rest. That pretty much voids the vast majority of Orr.

Iceinux.4738

Kriza, If you look at the the other main meta events, like Steam ogre, Fire elemental, Wurm, Shadow behemoth not sure of exact drops but the other 3 are level 15 or so bosses they when the game was bugged at launch level 20 players were getting level 80 exotics from them, now they fixed that aspect, however the 80 exotics are still on their loot tables, and were ment to be that way.

Syeria.4812

You’re desperately reaching to try claim it’s worse now. He stated that it’s a very rare reward for defeating a particular boss.

No, he did not. And your inability to properly interpret a basic sentence does not define completely logical interpretation as ‘reaching’.

He said ‘a boss’ not ‘A specific boss’ as was previously stated. It could be on the loot table of many bosses or a single one, or even the loot table of every single boss and just be exceedingly rare. And you’d have to be a complete idiot to think it’s not a rare reward at this point anyway, so that information was confusing, useless, and obvious; pointed out unnecessarily on both your part and his.

Might want to learn how to do something yourself before accusing others of making a mistake. He stated:

That is “a boss.” This implies singular. If more than one boss provided the reward, the statement would be “It’s a very rare reward from defeating bosses in the open world.” If you’re going to desperately dig that deeply into a casual sentence (which is taken second hand, and might not even be an exact quote) at least do it accurately.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

A logical conclusion, but bear in mind the fact that this item has apparently never been obtained. Given that level 80 players tend to gravitate towards level 80 content in the open world, it seems quite likely that the source could be tucked away in a lower-level zone.

Whoever the boss is, it has to have been hit by few enough eighties to have essentially never dropped Final Rest. That pretty much voids the vast majority of Orr.

Kings tombs is one place i can think top off my mind, that nobody bothers clearing when risen king champ spawns. If somebody does on ocassion its not often enough to drop weapon of greatest rarity. I think i read somebody said boss is legendary type and there are few of those in orr.

Deified.7520

Ill be making a list of all the meta events with named chest. so far we know flame temple no longer is a unique chest. Vault in Plains of ashford is a splendid, and ogre assault in blazeridge is just named Chest. So those are out of the possibilities or me. Im going to be making a list on the forums when im done.

Syeria.4812

I base my logic on several factors:
1. Orr was supposed to be end-game zones so it would make sense to put rare thing like this there, +this zones have biggest connection to current story playing out.

I don’t think I’d agree with this logic. Anet has deliberately designed the lower level zones in a manner that allows “end game” players to return there and have things to do. Their current initiative is to try get players to populate those zones, and it stands to reason that’s not a new direction they’re taking. I would think that evidence points more towards it being in a lower level zone than a level 80 area.

Personally, I’d lean towards it being in Ascalon. The Gwen ideas seem to make sense, and considering I believe Anet has always wanted to populate all zones, those are the areas that logically would be least populated. Here’s how I reach that conclusion (all assuming they put it in a logically low pop zone):

1) Humans are always the most popular race in MMOs and all roads lead to Lion’s Arch, so that rules out Kryta.

2) Orr is the the premier level 80 area, so it’s always going to have people in it.

3) Maguuma (low level) is home to both Asura and Sylvari, so it’s naturally going to have a higher proportion of low level players. Caledon would have less than Metrica (as it’s more of a “corner” zone and many sylvari navigate through Metrica after Caledon while it’s not as common the other way for asura) but it also has far more “extras” to bring players in. I believe Caledon has the highest density of things like mini-dungeons/jumping puzzles/dungeons in the game.

4) Maguuma (high level) is the gateway to Orr. Most players seem to branch out from LA once they reach it, and Sparkfly/Maelstrom is the most logical route to Orr.

So that leaves Shiverpeaks and Ascalon. Each has a dragon (Claw/Shatterer). Each has two dungeons (HotW-SE/AC-CoF). Each is home to just one race (Norn/Charr). But in order for Charr to get to LA, they have to pass through Shiverpeaks. Norn have little reason to visit Ascalon. On top of that, Shiverpeaks zones are much closer to LA, and have higher populations as players in that 30-60 range tend to frequent the Shiverpeak zones instead of Ascalon. The Ascalon zones are backed into a corner and can only be reached by passing through Shiverpeaks or through the Divinity’s Reach portal. Shiverpeaks have one of the “end game” zones (Frostgorge).

So following my logic (with all of its assumptions), I’d expect it to be found in either Fields of Ruin or the Iron Marches. The possible relation to Gwen’s “final resting place” make me think Fields of Ruin would be my personal area of emphasis for any search.

But with all that said, if it ends up being in Orr, I wouldn’t really be surprised at all.

JarXLite.6720

Kings tombs is one place i can think top off my mind, that nobody bothers clearing when risen king champ spawns. If somebody does on ocassion its not often enough to drop weapon of greatest rarity. I think i read somebody said boss is legendary type and there are few of those in orr.

He does not drop a chest, so that is not an option

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

For reference, here is the wiki link with all the splendid chests:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Splendid_Chest

And here is a list of mini-dungeons:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Minidungeon

And here is where I think it is:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death's_Anthem

Captain Rotbeard in cursed shore, at the Death’s Anthem waypoint/mini dungeon in the far south. Here is why:

Linsey said: “The only hint I will give on Final Rest is this: You cannot make it. It is dropped from a LARGE boss chest.”

But Jeffrey said: “It’s exactly as Linsey stated previously—it’s a loot drop from a specific (rare) boss.”

Notice the difference in wording… Linsey says it’s from a chest, but Jeffrey says it’s a loot drop from a boss.

Captain Rotbeard spawns when you open the HUGE chest in the ship. He literally is a boss that pops out of a chest. This reconciles both statements. Linsey may have been trying to throw us off when she said it was from the chest-maybe it’s from the boss that spawns from the chest.

JarXLite.6720

For reference, here is the wiki link with all the splendid chests:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Splendid_Chest

And here is a list of mini-dungeons:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Minidungeon

And here is where I think it is:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death's_Anthem

Captain Rotbeard in cursed shore, at the Death’s Anthem waypoint/mini dungeon in the far south. Here is why:

Linsey said: “The only hint I will give on Final Rest is this: You cannot make it. It is dropped from a LARGE boss chest.”

But Jeffrey said: “It’s exactly as Linsey stated previously—it’s a loot drop from a specific (rare) boss.”

Notice the difference in wording… Linsey says it’s from a chest, but Jeffrey says it’s a loot drop from a boss.

Captain Rotbeard spawns when you open the HUGE chest in the ship. He literally is a boss that pops out of a chest. This reconciles both statements. Linsey may have been trying to throw us off when she said it was from the chest-maybe it’s from the boss that spawns from the chest.

Tricksy developers.

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

Might want to learn how to do something yourself before accusing others of making a mistake. He stated:

That is “a boss.” This implies singular. If more than one boss provided the reward, the statement would be “It’s a very rare reward from defeating bosses in the open world.” If you’re going to desperately dig that deeply into a casual sentence (which is taken second hand, and might not even be an exact quote) at least do it accurately.

Those are both legit ways to say it.

“Milk is something you get from a cow on a farm”

“Milk is something you get from cows on a farm”

Both could be used to mean you get the object from many things that fit under the same term (in my example cow, in yours boss)

Now perhaps one way is the accurate english way to pronounce it, but devs aren’t perfect at English so you can’t hold them to that.

From the statement made it could apply to a singular boss, or many bosses. It isn’t clear.

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I completed the mini-dungeon long ago (Disseau area). Though I think I was pretty low lvl at the time so can’t contribute to that theory.
It wasn’t a unicorn or a giant bunny but I did find a Champion Ram up on the mountain side while wandering around in Shiverpeaks way back. They have Champs scattered about all over in out-of-the-way places. Myself and one other ran up on a Champ Hylek once and tried to kill it. Ranger + Mesmer vs Champ Hylek = fail. That was a long time ago and many levels before 80 while running around for map completion.
I participated in a Champ event somewhere in Metrica (asuran area not sure which) with the flame destroyer and his awful insta kills for low level characters. Again it was long ago but that group of 8 players all wiped because we underestimated the Champ.
I’m going to be working on map completion with my Guardian soon and will keep an eye out for Champs and Bosses in hidden places.
Anyone know what the Gendarran Fields puzzle area yields at the end… Forgot the name but its top of the map slightly right of center. There is an NPC standing outside and when you enter there are fire and spike traps plus lots of vet oozes. Never made it to the end.

The problem with random open world champs is they have no chests (usually). As for the puzzle in gendarran I’ve done it prob 50 times and never seen anything of value come out of it, the chest at the end is a small one, although, lore-wise it would fit (there’s a personal story that takes place in there too and it’s the final resting place of the original founder of kryta, or one of the original human conquerers of the lands kryta claimed so lore-wise it would fit).

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

JarXLite.6720

I might have to try out that Death’s Anthem theory. Also, Jeffery’s statement says a loot drop from a rare boss, he does not specify wether or not it is from looting the corpse or from looting a chest, the statement could be interpreted either way.

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Posted by: coglin.1496

coglin.1496

I might have to try out that Death’s Anthem theory. Also, Jeffery’s statement says a loot drop from a rare boss, he does not specify wether or not it is from looting the corpse or from looting a chest, the statement could be interpreted either way.

According to Linsey Murdock, items designer at Arenanet, the Final Rest drops from a “LARGE boss chest” and cannot be crafted.

Poor craftsman blame their tools. Poor players blame their Engineer.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

You know what would be truly epic – if this boss actually was a large chest that had come to life and was eating people. Like that old D&D monster, what was it called? Oh yeah, the mimic. Yep. Epic indeed.

Player Character: Oh, look! A large chest! I bet it has way cool aaieeeee!!!
Mimic: Nom nom nom.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Looking through all the speculation posts and all there is one spot of final rest that no one is considering. I am not sure but i would believe that the burial place of the last of King of Orr. Champion Risen King is rarely done and people just run past him. Its also a final resting place so it could be there.

edit: not sure if chest drops from the boss.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Syeria.4812

No duh Webster, but when I say ‘a poster is an idiot’, there may be more than one idiot that qualifies, but in English I could be making a general statement OR singling out a specific idiot among the qualifiers. When I say ‘a mob drops a precursor’, there are many mobs that could have dropped the precursor, but it dropped from a single one. When he says, ‘it drops from a boss’ that means that when it drops, it will drop from ‘a boss’, a single boss among many bosses, or a specific boss. Only adding to the confusion.

No. The only person “confused” here is you. For some bizarre reason, you’re desperately reaching for reasons to be confused, and manufacturing them despite the utter lack of cause. Your utter inability to understand that a use of the singular means (in explicit context, from a second hand quote that likely isn’t verbatim) the same thing as the previous quotes being explicitly referenced means that the word carries the same connotation as before would be astonishing if it weren’t so sad.

Why do you even bother with this thread if you’re having this much trouble with basic language? It’s obviously ridiculously beyond your comprehension. Stop trying to bring the discussion down to your level.

Conncept.7638

No duh Webster, but when I say ‘a poster is an idiot’, there may be more than one idiot that qualifies, but in English I could be making a general statement OR singling out a specific idiot among the qualifiers. When I say ‘a mob drops a precursor’, there are many mobs that could have dropped the precursor, but it dropped from a single one. When he says, ‘it drops from a boss’ that means that when it drops, it will drop from ‘a boss’, a single boss among many bosses, or a specific boss. Only adding to the confusion.

No. The only person “confused” here is you. For some bizarre reason, you’re desperately reaching for reasons to be confused, and manufacturing them despite the utter lack of cause. Your utter inability to understand that a use of the singular means (in explicit context, from a second hand quote that likely isn’t verbatim) the same thing as the previous quotes being explicitly referenced means that the word carries the same connotation as before would be astonishing if it weren’t so sad.

Why do you even bother with this thread if you’re having this much trouble with basic language? It’s obviously ridiculously beyond your comprehension. Stop trying to bring the discussion down to your level.

Yes, that’s why another poster already made the exact same post as me, and explained the rule behind it in layman’s terms that even a child could understand. Feel free to take the time to read it, if you are able. I could have explained it this way instead of how I did, but frankly, I don’t abide by ignoramuses who become professors when protected behind the anonymity of the internet. It’s a matter of principle.

Those are both legit ways to say it.

“Milk is something you get from a cow on a farm”

“Milk is something you get from cows on a farm”

Both could be used to mean you get the object from many things that fit under the same term (in my example cow, in yours boss)

Now perhaps one way is the accurate english way to pronounce it, but devs aren’t perfect at English so you can’t hold them to that.

From the statement made it could apply to a singular boss, or many bosses. It isn’t clear.

Iceinux.4738

I’ve been farming Captain Rotbeard on timer when I’m online for about 2 weeks, still yet to get an exotic off him. Few rares but no exotics.

Deified.7520

Well it apparently has a really low drop rate. So even if we come across the right event, we really wont know for certain. I would be very upset if it drops from someplace/person that has nothing to do with the name. I mean all other boss specific drops usually have something in common with it.

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

I really do not want to go through the math or show everyone the numbers but even on a very modest scale it would have dropped by now.

My theory is that it is still in the loot tables, but the actual chest that drops it is bugged.

For example, the chest in the Zho’Qafa Catacombs could very well be the chest that is supposed to drop this item. However, if the loot table was switched with another chest, it would never drop the item, and thus the item will never be seen in-game.

When a dev looks at the loot table and sees the item listed and it has an actual % greater than 0, does not mean that everything else is working as it should. If the loot table is indeed the wrong one for the actual chest, the devs might not realize this and will tell the public everything is working as intended. This is not the first time this has happened.

Posted by: Riaky.8965

Riaky.8965

Stop w/ this Final Rest theories!. The game is almost 6 months now if it in the game it would be found long time ago.

JarXLite.6720

Stop w/ this Final Rest theories!. The game is almost 6 months now if it in the game it would be found long time ago.

It has been confirmed to be in the game, so your argument is null and void.

Have a good day.

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Riaky.8965

Have a good day.

Show me a pic that someone have running around w/ it? otherwise good day sir

JarXLite.6720

@Riaky: read the thread before you make assumptions

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

(edited by JarXLite.6720)

Diviner.7405

Have a good day.

Just because something has been “confirmed to be in the game” does not mean that it is OBTAINABLE in game. For example, in the original Pokemon Red/Blue, Mew was in the game, but the only way to obtain it was via glitch. There was no legitimate to obtain one even though it was in the game.

The very same could be happening in this game. It could be in the loot tables, but that does not mean a thing. The Devs have not confirmed that the loot tables are working as intended or that the boss/chest actually drops the correct loot table. For all we know, the loot tables may be correct, but something other bug maybe messing with the game. The game is a very buggy game after all.

Ill give an example: Suppose the item is supposed to drop in Chest A via the loot tables. However, there is a bug in the game due to bad programming that makes Chest A actually drop Chest B loot. When a Dev goes to check the loot tables, they will see everything is working in the proper order, yet what they will not realize is that Chest A is not actually dropping the correct loot. Just because its in the loot tables does not mean everything else is functioning as it should.

Riaky.8965

Have a good day.

Just because something has been “confirmed to be in the game” does not mean that it is OBTAINABLE in game. For example, in the original Pokemon Red/Blue, Mew was in the game, but the only way to obtain it was via glitch. There was no legitimate to obtain one even though it was in the game.

The very same could be happening in this game. It could be in the loot tables, but that does not mean a thing. The Devs have not confirmed that the loot tables are working as intended or that the boss/chest actually drops the correct loot table. For all we know, the loot tables may be correct, but something other bug maybe messing with the game. The game is a very buggy game after all.

Ill give an example: Suppose the item is supposed to drop in Chest A via the loot tables. However, there is a bug in the game due to bad programming that makes Chest A actually drop Chest B loot. When a Dev goes to check the loot tables, they will see everything is working in the proper order, yet what they will not realize is that Chest A is not actually dropping the correct loot. Just because its in the loot tables does not mean everything else is functioning as it should.

^ What he said

JarXLite.6720

Have a good day.

First off, I completely agree with you. This is a possibility and I acknowledge that. However, my post was purely replying to the statement he made about it saying “if it was in the game it would’ve been found by now”. It IS in fact in the game, even if the loot tables are bugged and has not yet been found. Mew was in fact IN the game, it just wasn’t obtainable without using a glitch.

Anyway, I would like to keep this thread on track as I have a lot of interst in this topic. Post your theories!

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

You know the only way to really suss this out is to have a large group of people systematically work through all the events one map at a time right? And hope your sample size is large enough for someone to get it if it’s available. It might take a few passes through the map but that’s the way to find it.

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Diviner.7405

You know the only way to really suss this out is to have a large group of people systematically work through all the events one map at a time right? And hope your sample size is large enough for someone to get it if it’s available. It might take a few passes through the map but that’s the way to find it.

No, the only way to “really suss this out” is have the devs come out and explain exactly how it is obtained and to make sure the method of obtaining it is actually working properly.

But as the Devs have proven time and time again., they really do not care.

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

That would ruin the mystery. It not that they dont care.

They do care. If they didnt care they would just tell you where it is. They care about the world they crafted and they want you to explore its mysteries.

All I can say about reading both those statements the the obvious answer is most likely the right one.

A open world boss, drops a chest after it is defeated, which as a rare loot option may contain this item.

It satisfies both devs statements logically, and is probably the right answer.

Considering they said large chest, that could just be the reference to the appearence of the chest and not its actual ingame name.

Its also possible not all world bosses have been discovered. We know certain events are triggered, for example by kneeling infront of a statue, it is possible one of these areas hasnt been discovered yet by anyone and its a bit more tricky than we think.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Diviner.7405

That would ruin the mystery. It not that they dont care.

They do care. If they didnt care they would just tell you where it is. They care about the world they crafted and they want you to explore its mysteries.

All I can say about reading both those statements the the obvious answer is most likely the right one.

A open world boss, drops a chest after it is defeated, which as a rare loot option may contain this item.

It satisfies both devs statements logically, and is probably the right answer.

Considering they said large chest, that could just be the reference to the appearence of the chest and not its actual ingame name.

Its also possible not all world bosses have been discovered. We know certain events are triggered, for example by kneeling infront of a statue, it is possible one of these areas hasnt been discovered yet by anyone and its a bit more tricky than we think.

If they cared, they would have come out and said that the way it is obtained is working 100% without bugs. Until then, it is safe to assume they do not care.

It really is not worth the time to go out of the way and spends hours looking for it. If it is indeed bugged, you will end up just wasting your time. It is best to have it come out on its own time.

There are plenty of other conspiracies in other games. 17th Colossus in Shadow of Colossus, obtaining Mew legit in Red/Blue, the pendent use in Dark Souls etc. etc.

Guess what? A majority of the time these conspiracies turn out be completely false even when devs have a made post stating otherwise.

In the end, secrets just end up hurting the fanbase more than anything. They really are not worth the trouble.