Final Rest - Current Theories

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BlackWolf.8605

BlackWolf.8605

i hope anet never give more detals other then maybe “its availible our gm has had it tested and its dropping as intended” if they tell people it will never be a rare drop if people like it they will farm it for months…

if anyone has a large guild/group dedicated to exploring and testing theories and are wanting experianced member to join there serch call me in game or in message i will happly join group and bring my explore party and happy to guest for a group

Wolves of The Abyss [Wolf]

Posted by: Jelle.4623

Jelle.4623

I’m thinking of these kind of events:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Force_the_ancient_creature_back_into_its_prison

There are more of these events and they are rare.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

That would ruin the mystery. It not that they dont care.

They do care. If they didnt care they would just tell you where it is. They care about the world they crafted and they want you to explore its mysteries.

All I can say about reading both those statements the the obvious answer is most likely the right one.

A open world boss, drops a chest after it is defeated, which as a rare loot option may contain this item.

It satisfies both devs statements logically, and is probably the right answer.

Considering they said large chest, that could just be the reference to the appearence of the chest and not its actual ingame name.

Its also possible not all world bosses have been discovered. We know certain events are triggered, for example by kneeling infront of a statue, it is possible one of these areas hasnt been discovered yet by anyone and its a bit more tricky than we think.

If that last statement were true, that would have to mean that the event (or an event leading to it) would have to be bugged, because, by now, almost all events would have to have been seen by at least one person (I would think).

I’m of the mind, that if the devs cared, they would give us another hint. I’m all for them trying to keep it a scavenger hunt and a mystery, but we need a bit more of a specific location to search. Tyria is a large place, it could take us forever to find it. All I would like from them now is just the general area (Kryta, Ascalon, Orr, etc) that its supposed to be in, not the specific zone/event (yet).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

Diviner > Mysteries in the game are part of the appeal. There’s other games where they tell you where and how to get everything. This is not one of them. And really here we’re talking about a skin, not something vital to play, not something everyone or anyone needs to be successful in the game. What we’re all looking for is only a skin, something pretty and rare that no one else has (and indeed that is why we all want it).

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I was just thinking of that event last night.

Another event that comes to mind is the one at the little house in the swamp in Queensdale with the book and the necro- I don’t know how many 80’s actually do that at all and the creature is a sort of flying demon thingy
doesn’t spawn a chest though as far as I remember.

Another event that I thought of is this one:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Font_of_Rhand

I did this many many moons ago and have never tried it with an 80 at all

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

My 80 thief did the swamp thing (argh) in Queensdale with the book and the flying demon just the other day. I don’t think there was a chest…

Edit: did this again just now – it’s a veteran fleshreaver. Dropped a blue item, lvl 74 berzerker’s bow. Sweet loot.

Did the Font of Rhand last night. There was a chest, but all I got out of it was blues. That doesn’t mean Final Rest isn’t there, as me getting nothing but blues (and greens) is par for the course. /e QQ

The table is a fable.

(edited by Tachenon.5270)

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Last night I dreamt that my boyfriend found Final Rest in a personal story quest. I suppose that does not count? (yes, I’ve been playing GW2 a lot yesterday :’) )

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

Maybe we could compile a list of ‘Rare’ chest spawning events and where they’re located and start to prod at them regularly?

I don’t think I’ve ever done some of these before or even seen them.

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

What about the chest in Gort’s pit in Kessex Hills? It’s named Gort’s Treasure. Would it be considered a ‘large’ chest? Anyway, I’ve done this several times recently – there’s never anybody else around – but all I ever get is the standard blues and greens.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Sitael.4680

Sitael.4680

“It’s a very rare reward from defeating a boss in the open world”

Lindsey: “It is dropped from a LARGE boss chest.”

Matt: “It’s a loot drop from a specific (rare) boss.”

Thank you for this summar.
This three sentences says everything we would ever know (as long as somone post here an “i got it from X”) . But if we take that sentences as they are, it is enough and we really do not needed to make some text-exegeses about.

We know: It’s a loot drop from a specific (rare) boss. (no regular champions, veterans etc.)
We know: the boss has a chest (it does not matter if a chest or a boss is large, because every rare boss is a "large " boss, and it is only matter that is in fact a chest to loot)
We know: this boss is not in an instance or dungeon.
We know: it is a specific boss (so, only this boss has the chest where it can drop)

What now everyone has to decide/finde out for himself:
Which rare boss has a chest?

- Shadow Behemoth with the (Demonic Chest)
- The frozen Maw with the glorious Chest
Fire Elemental (it is a follow boss fight with the “lost steam ogre” if you collected the four pieces from the JPs ad fire elemental to get access to the center of the reactor)
- one of the Temple-Events (are the really rare bosses?)
- or some long-event-chain boss, we just not aware of it

(edited by Sitael.4680)

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

“It’s a very rare reward from defeating a boss in the open world”

Lindsey: “It is dropped from a LARGE boss chest.”

Matt: “It’s a loot drop from a specific (rare) boss.”

Thank you for this summar.
This three sentences says everything we would ever know (as long as somone post here an “i got it from X”) . But if we take that sentences as they are, it is enough and we really do not needed to make some text-exegeses about.

We know: It’s a loot drop from a specific (rare) boss. (no regular champions, veterans etc.)
We know: the boss has a chest (it does not matter if a chest or a boss is large, because every rare boss is a "large " boss, and it is only matter that is in fact a chest to loot)
We know: this boss is not in an instance or dungeon.
We know: it is a specific boss (so, only this boss has the chest where it can drop)

What now everyone has to decide/finde out for himself:
Which rare boss has a chest?

- Shadow Behemoth with the (Demonic Chest)
- The frozen Maw with the glorious Chest
Fire Elemental (it is a follow boss fight with the “lost steam ogre” if you collected the four pieces from the JPs ad fire elemental to get access to the center of the reactor)
- one of the Temple-Events (are the really rare bosses?)
- or some long-event-chain boss, we just not aware of it

Except if you read the latest quote, he was specifically asked if it was from a specific chest or not, and couldn’t answer; and was also asked if it was from a specific boss or not, and couldn’t answer. All he was sure of was that it was on a loot table, while previously he was actually sure of more than that.

So that narrows it down to being on the loot table of a single boss among every boss in the game, a group of bosses among every boss in the game, or literally on the loot table of every boss in the game. (the last being very unlikely, it would have most likely dropped for somebody by now)

Now yes, we can assume that because he just didn’t know, then the previous statements are correct, but when he didn’t even know whether the previous statements that he himself made were correct, that worries me, and makes me wonder if he backed up a fact somewhere down the line that he hadn’t checked. He previously said, (paraphrasing) ‘Everything Linsey said is correct’, but with this latest, he apparently can’t back that up, and the statements are only a few weeks apart from each other, it’s not like he could have forgotten. It’s just getting confusing…

Still, my money is on being from a specific boss, and at this point one that isn’t very popular. I’m really hoping that it doesn’t drop from one of the underwater group event bosses in Orr that nobody ever fights, because if it does nobody is ever going to get it.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Iceinux.4738

Iceinux.4738

Steam ogre is a champion and drops level 80 exotics from his chest. So you can’t rule that out as a boss, and he is on the http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bosses Bosses achivements.

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Ok guys. Frozen Maw does not drop a glorious chest anymore. I keep telling you all not to trust the wiki haha. The Flame Temple no longer drops a unique chest. So far I’ve done Reactor meta event + Secret boss in Metrica provience, Plains of ashford meta events, blazeridge steppes meta events, and Iron marches meta events. So far the only one that drops a unique chest was the Shatterer and the secret boss in the reactor event. The rest drop chest labeled as “chest” and give about 2-3 items total, or do not spawn a chest at all. The Iron marches meta event devouring the brand spawns a glorious chest at the end, but it is just labeled as Glorious

I PMed some people to ask about the whole theory about how its not dropping the right loot table. I hope they answer back. Either way I think we should keep looking. I hate chalking it up to developer glitches/mistakes and then stop looking.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Frozen Maw still gives exotics though, got one directly after the 28th update and a few before that. Not saying it’s in there, I’m more inclined to the Font of Rhand due to all the crypts and the way you put out the fire skulls with ice (Grenth was all death and ice).
I know the devs are getting a good laugh from the ‘mystery’ of Final Rest as there are so many possible ‘resting places’ to examine.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

There is a second Dev comment on the topic I don’t see up there.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Deified.7520

Yeah that is true. But a point that was brought up earlier is that if chest share the same name (splendid chest, Glorious chest, grand chest), they most likely share the same loot table. So while Frozen maw could give exotics, any chest in the game could. Same goes with flame temple. I believe it is now just a splendid chest and chances are it shares the same loot table. I am looking for chest with unique names. Such as claw of jormag (forzen chest), jungle wurm, maybe shadow behemoth, secret ogre boss, etc.

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

Interesting stuff guys, keep it up and we might see a red post eventually.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

The next logical step would be to compile a list of ‘named’ chests and where they are found.
Unless of course Splendid and Glorious chests actually do not share the same loot table. Yet it would seem very inefficient coding to do it this way.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: JarXLite.6720

JarXLite.6720

Frozen Maw still gives exotics though, got one directly after the 28th update and a few before that. Not saying it’s in there, I’m more inclined to the Font of Rhand due to all the crypts and the way you put out the fire skulls with ice (Grenth was all death and ice).
I know the devs are getting a good laugh from the ‘mystery’ of Final Rest as there are so many possible ‘resting places’ to examine.

I brought up Font of Rhand (Flame Temple Tombs) on the last page. I think it might be a good starting place and it seems to fit with the “lore” we have associated with the staff by its name and look.

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

Posted by: Kelkas.6172

Kelkas.6172

According to the “unique chest” theory and taking into account the frequency most events with a named chest are completed, I believe the steam ogre in the Thaumanova reactor seems very propable to be the source.
I believe most people have done it once to get the achievement if at all, since the way to fight it is not so apparent and many may not bother to charge the key repeatedly to farm it.

As far as the staff not making sense to drop in such a place, I guess because of the nature of the reactor anything can end up there.

(edited by Kelkas.6172)

Deified.7520

I’m pretty sure Steam Ogre drops Flux Matrix. It would make sense. But yeah, I’m still on the look for the named chest.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Its more likely that it is an event chain that no one really has done or done by one person and was never documented such is often the case. Some of the events start under very special circumstances and those circumstances are rare as well. We know that the boss is rare which means not commonly done. So far people have been naming off places that people have done to death over and over. There is literally thousands of events with i can bet a large number have been done only once by a handful of people and usually not till the end.

There is also minidungeons that people hardly do as well. Not to mention how many more places there could be that people just advoid. Such as there is a Champion Spider Queen in Metrica Province that no one kills or even goes to.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Kaleden.9386

Kaleden.9386

I was just thinking of that event last night.

Another event that comes to mind is the one at the little house in the swamp in Queensdale with the book and the necro- I don’t know how many 80’s actually do that at all and the creature is a sort of flying demon thingy
doesn’t spawn a chest though as far as I remember.

Another event that I thought of is this one:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Font_of_Rhand

I did this many many moons ago and have never tried it with an 80 at all

There are also the events spawned by the Dwarven Key in Dredgehaunt Cliffs:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dwarven_Key

I’d be a little surprised if all of the 3 maps for the Ruins of Orr didn’t include any spawned events like these. I don’t recall coming across any, though.

Posted by: JarXLite.6720

JarXLite.6720

What about the “Forsaken Halls” mini-dungeon? I’m fairly certain it takes place in a dwarven tomb and that it spawns a “unique” chest. It is the one with the large dark room that you have to jump through.

Tainir
IoJ commander
[HARD]

skullmount.1758

What about the “Forsaken Halls” mini-dungeon? I’m fairly certain it takes place in a dwarven tomb and that it spawns a “unique” chest. It is the one with the large dark room that you have to jump through.

Wasn’t that one only just added? Or was it just the achievement for it just added? (in LS event) If the minidungeon was added as part of the LS event, then it can’t be it, because we’ve been searching for it since before the start of the event.

Darkhaven server

Suddenflame.2601

Wasn’t that one only just added? Or was it just the achievement for it just added? (in LS event)

The achievement was added but the dungeon was there
edit: nope i was wrong wiki says area added in Halloween update

[GWAM] and [LUST]

(edited by Suddenflame.2601)

skullmount.1758

Wasn’t that one only just added? Or was it just the achievement for it just added? (in LS event)

The achievement was added but the dungeon was there
edit: nope i was wrong wiki says area added in Halloween update

But, now that I’ve gone to check the wiki about it to see if it has any kind of lore related to the staff, it says “This area was added in the Shadow of the Mad King update”, which is still after when we first started searching for it. (I’ve seen questions about this staff from September of last year) So I still think “Forsaken Halls” isn’t the right place to look for the staff.

Well I was gonna suggest Gort’s Treasure Chest since its a unique named one, but he isn’t really a boss (even though he is large).

Darkhaven server

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Suddenflame.2601

Forsaken Halls is out since it was added after release of the game. Its in a location that has been in the game the entire time. So we can start removing places based on the date they were added (not their achievements mind you). We can also rule out any places where they changed the chests (they did it to many JP and mini-dungeons). So making a list of any places that got those changes would mean we elimated some from the ever long list lol.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: Blueshield.6291

Blueshield.6291

Well I was gonna suggest Gort’s Treasure Chest since its a unique named one, but he isn’t really a boss (even though he is large).

I wouldn’t go so far as to call the brother large. I mean, he’s got a size problem. What’s the guy to do? He’s a giant.

Suddenflame.2601

mmmmmm was going to suggest Megadestroyer but it appears that it should have been found by now if it was there. The Catacombs run only spawns a Glorious Chest which means its not unique and shares the same loot table.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

skullmount.1758

I wouldn’t go so far as to call the brother large. I mean, he’s got a size problem. What’s the guy to do? He’s a giant.

Which we can’t kill to further the giant slayer achievement… Too few giants exist.

I’m pretty sure the unique named chest dropped by the Megadestroyer in Mt. Doom is out as well, right? That place/area wouldn’t be a suitable location to look for the staff, I don’t think.

mmmmmm was going to suggest Megadestroyer but it appears that it should have been found by now if it was there. The Catacombs run only spawns a Glorious Chest which means its not unique and shares the same loot table.

Well that and its not “open world” (Catacombs that is).

Darkhaven server

Suddenflame.2601

Looking through the various chests i believe there is some that are not stated in the wiki. The Swamp chest shows that it already drops a unique item that only it can give. Wisteria can be gained by the swamp chest which makes it possible that Shadow Behemoth and other world events still havnt dropped its unique weapon yet as well. I have never personally seen the Wisteria but someone has.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

Which we can’t kill to further the giant slayer achievement… Too few giants exist.

I’m pretty sure the unique named chest dropped by the Megadestroyer in Mt. Doom is out as well, right? That place/area wouldn’t be a suitable location to look for the staff, I don’t think.

Zho Catacombs is in the open world and only spawns a Glorious Chest which rules it out completely as it is not unique and shares a loot table with other Glorious Chests. Its a gargolye staff so i wouldn’t rule it out completely from the Megadestroyer just due to the fact that it lava and stone tend to work together lol.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Zho Catacombs is in the open world and only spawns a Glorious Chest which rules it out completely as it is not unique and shares a loot table with other Glorious Chests. Its a gargolye staff so i wouldn’t rule it out completely from the Megadestroyer just due to the fact that it lava and stone tend to work together lol.

Megadestroyer spawns ancient trasure if I remember correctly. It could br related but it still bugs me that you would have to be 80 to get it in lower lvl zones, i doubt ANet would make such limitation to players, it would be discriminative for lower lvl players that are almost 80.
Also, glorious chest could be interpreted as large chest. Perhaps item is location bound only for that glorious chest.

Suddenflame.2601

Megadestroyer spawns ancient trasure if I remember correctly. It could br related but it still bugs me that you would have to be 80 to get it in lower lvl zones, i doubt ANet would make such limitation to players, it would be discriminative for lower lvl players that are almost 80.

you would be correct. The Megadestroyer is the only creature to spawn the Ancient Treasure chest. Which also makes it a candidate for the Final Rest. Zho Catacombs only spawns a Glorious Chest which is not unique and therefor disqualifies it from containing Final Rest.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

Also, glorious chest could be interpreted as large chest. Perhaps item is location bound only for that glorious chest.

LOL you edited it. I would suspect that they wouldn’t force an area condition on a Glorious chest considering they have not done it with any other Glorious Chests. For the sake of showing something. Magnificent Chest is higher then Glorious Chest which means Magnificent Chest should be considered the large chest while Glorious chest isn’t.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: Giles Marchand.6970

Giles Marchand.6970

[/quote]Magnificent Chest is higher then Glorious Chest which means Magnificent Chest should be considered the large chest while Glorious chest isn’t. [/quote]

Magnificent Chests are smaller than Glorious Chests are they not.

Suddenflame.2601

Magnificent Chest is higher then Glorious Chest which means Magnificent Chest should be considered the large chest while Glorious chest isn’t.

No they are larger and rarer then the Glorious Chest.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Deified.7520

I know that in order to get exotic unique drops from chest, you need to be 80. I have yet to check hydra queen because it has been bugged on my server. I think we should look at areas that this item would fit.
1. Ascalon
2. Orr
3. Select areas in kryta
4. Dwarven areas.

Suddenflame.2601

I know that in order to get exotic unique drops from chest, you need to be 80. I have yet to check hydra queen because it has been bugged on my server. I think we should look at areas that this item would fit.
1. Ascalon
2. Orr
3. Select areas in kryta
4. Dwarven areas.

The event you type of only spawns a Glorious chest. The chest must be unique for this staff to appear.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Something like those wouldn’t be too bad. At least you get them by killing things. Something like http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Matrix_Cube_Key but with a wider spawn area would be nightmarish. Has anyone tried bringing the fully charged Matrix Cube Key to other interactive Asura/Inquest consoles?

skullmount.1758

1. Ascalon
2. Orr
3. Select areas in kryta
4. Dwarven areas.

The event you type of only spawns a Glorious chest. The chest must be unique for this staff to appear.

Are we absolutely sure it has to be a unique chest?

Darkhaven server

Posted by: NegativKarma.8094

NegativKarma.8094

Seems to me the probable answer has already been stated in this thread.

Speculation follows:

1. A gargoyle is a demon.
2. Shadow Behemoth drops a “Demonic Chest”
3. Profit.
4. Shadow Behemoth event was(is?) bugged for the longest time on many servers, limiting sample size?

/discuss?

Suddenflame.2601

1. Ascalon
2. Orr
3. Select areas in kryta
4. Dwarven areas.

Are we absolutely sure it has to be a unique chest?

Glorious chests have never been location bound and seem to share the same loot table. Only 2 types of chests have shown to have Unique loot tables. Magnificent Chests and Unique named chests.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: Giles Marchand.6970

Giles Marchand.6970

Magnificent Chest is higher then Glorious Chest which means Magnificent Chest should be considered the large chest while Glorious chest isn’t.

The Glorious Chest is what spawns after the temple events in Orr, and I’m pretty sure it was a Glorious Chest at the end of The Lost Shores event. I can’t imagine the Magnificent Chest at the end of The Mad King’s Clocktower was indeed bigger.

I also have to say that it would be impossible for them to share the same loot tables if the chest at the end of The Lost Shores event was in fact a Glorious Chest.

Edit: I would also like to add that following the links you provided, shows that Magnificent Chests spawn at the end of jumping puzzles and not after boss encounters.

(edited by Giles Marchand.6970)

Suddenflame.2601

The Glorious Chest is what spawns after the temple events in Orr, and I’m pretty sure it was a Glorious Chest at the end of The Lost Shores event. I can’t imagine the Magnificent Chest at the end of The Mad King’s Clocktower was indeed bigger.

I also have to say that it would be impossible for them to share the same loot tables if the chest at the end of The Lost Shores event was in fact a Glorious Chest.

Edit: I would also like to add that following the links you provided, shows that Magnificent Chests spawn at the end of jumping puzzles and not after boss encounters.

Not entirely true if you look at where it does spawn.
Fractals of the Mists
Volcanic Fractal – If all Captives are saved

It also is the chest that they use for special events. Volcanic Fractal is a boss fight.

Caledon Forest
Sandycove Beach – End of Spekks’s Laboratory

Is also a fight before you are able to get to the chest.

You got to read the wiki a little before you say things lol.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

It came across my mind that perhaps answer could be found in lore stories and texts. What do we know about history of Final Rest? Who used it? Where was it seen last?
I started digging thru lore texts but it will take time….

Posted by: Dhraiden.9215

Dhraiden.9215

I respectfully submit in contradiction that secrets do not hurt a game or its fan-base. I am playing The Secret World currently, taking a break from GW2, and even though the “lore” there is often not spelled out in black-and-white 100%, it in no way detracts from my enjoyment of it.

Posted by: BlackWolf.8605

BlackWolf.8605

Wolves of The Abyss [Wolf]

Posted by: Kaleden.9386

Kaleden.9386

I respectfully submit in contradiction that secrets do not hurt a game or its fan-base. I am playing The Secret World currently, taking a break from GW2, and even though the “lore” there is often not spelled out in black-and-white 100%, it in no way detracts from my enjoyment of it.

I’m sure numerous folks searching for Final Rest would agree… though after much searching (and a healthy distaste for low RNG based drops) I wouldn’t turn down additional hints.