Gold Transfer Changes

Gold Transfer Changes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Did you seriously just come in here and define yourself as a 1% minority, then demand anyone care what happens to you in the new system?

You do not impact the community in a significant enough way to be considered.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Please merge this thread with the other thread about the same thing. How the 500g limit has effected certain players.
Thanks!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: SicilianDragon.3071

SicilianDragon.3071

My guild has a program where we buy items from each other, have quarterly guild raffles, and use middle men as safe traders. This is all perfectly legal. However Anet has now stuffed us, and other guilds, with this careless update.

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

So why should the .175% of players effected by this be catered to?
(Yes, that is the percentage given by Chris Cleary)
Why should security be reduced in an effort to limit and hamper gold seller activities because a few rich players feel like they are getting punished?
Why should I have to be less protected because I don’t have thousands of gold?

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Cap should be 1000. End of topic.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: AfterXII.2761

AfterXII.2761

Why should security be reduced in an effort to limit and hamper gold seller activities because a few rich players feel like they are getting punished?

It’s .175% now? I must have missed the memo!

http://gw2shinies.com/ – A Guild Wars 2 Trading Post Service
http://gw2tno.com/ – The Nameless Ones [TNO]

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

You use the word, “unfair”. I don’t think it means what you think it means.

The 500G limit applies equally to all players. That, by very definition, is “fair”.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: atsuru.6017

atsuru.6017

Because it affects more than just the initial people they assumed. I did not hit the gold limit, but I was affected by the change because my guild leader cannot accept my gold submissions.

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

It’s .175% now? I must have missed the memo!

500G may seem like an entirely arbitrary number, but I guarantee it is not. I took a look at our mail data (believe me, you guys really like mail and there is a lot of data) and set the value based on that. At 500G, it is not only functionally effective, but also it will only impact 0.175% of our players during an entire month’s worth of mails (if an account would hit the restriction once per month/30 days).

Looking more directly at those transactions, a large majority (98.228%) of those mails are being sent by RMT or compromised accounts (after selling off everything of value on an account).

Yes, there are going to be some edge cases that this is going to bump into, and as we look more into the impact that this change will have, we might change the restriction. However, we feel that this change is going to significantly impact RMT in our game along with help remove a very large reason to compromise accounts.

This is just the first step in our plan to help users keep their accounts secure. More will come as we progress through the year (and forevers!).

Always has been .175%…

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Ironically the onely ones “protected” by this are people that have 500+g on their storage-guild. Which is (most likely, I don’t have numbers) even less that .175%.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Im not really affected by the system but i think its stupid. 500g cap is very low, i dont know why anyone would risk paying a gold seller to get just 500g. Also i dont think there are that many gold sellers in the game…I havent seen anyone who used their services and i dont think anyone would. Its easy getting gold in the game so its kind of pointless. From my anecdotal experience i would say there are probably less gold sellers than there are people who have over 3 thousand gold saved up.

Guess what im saying is you can either spend the time to hurt the gold sellers (even though there may be other ways of doing this and the cap should be increased) or you can accept gold sellers and make the system easier on the real players. I prefer the latter, unless i saw evidence of a large amount of gold selling and a real reason to curb it.

I’m pretty sure ANet has a much better grasp of how much gold selling is going on than your Mark One Eyeball has managed. An analogy: I stay home most days right now. I’m not regularly driving. Even when I was commuting regularly in a congested area, I almost never saw any accidents. Yet the traffic reports say “accident on the outer loop, back up goes to Branch Avenue.” But hey, I haven’t seen the accident, so all these traffic rules are silly restrictions!

Plus one reason you’re not seeing rampant gold selling is that ANet is working hard to prevent it from impacting players.

And … requoted for emphasis … “500g cap is very low, i dont know why anyone would risk paying a gold seller to get just 500g.”

Good! By your statement you agree that not only does this limit gold sellers, but it prevents people from being willing to pay them. If no one buys from them, they stop selling!

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

Because it affects more than just the initial people they assumed. I did not hit the gold limit, but I was affected by the change because my guild leader cannot accept my gold submissions.

And why couldn’t those same submissions be placed into the guild bank? Then, they are safe there until such a time as it needs to be removed? Then the guild leader/officers can withdraw the gold and send it to where it’s supposed to go. Or allow the player to withdraw what they were supposed to get?

There are ways around it. Right now people are knee jerking to it because they finally feel the effect. But after a couple of weeks they’ll forget about it, have adapted and moved on.

Edit:
I am not sure, but it seems like there is a 500g cap on recieving gold from mail, AND a 500g cap fro withdrawing gold from a guild bank. So effectively, lotteries and what not, can still be award up to 1000g a week. Guild leader send 500g in the mail and deposits 500g in the guild bank. So player can receive 500g in the mail, and withdraw the 500g from the bank.
For amounts larger than 1000g, they have to wait an additional week.
(Plus a 1000g gold prize is VERY generous. And if you are receiving this much gold on a weekly basis from your guilds activities you are VERY lucky indeed….)

recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

And why couldn’t those same submissions be placed into the guild bank? Then, they are safe there until such a time as it needs to be removed? Then the guild leader/officers can withdraw the gold and send it to where it’s supposed to go. Or allow the player to withdraw what they were supposed to get?

There are ways around it. Right now people are knee jerking to it because they finally feel the effect. But after a couple of weeks they’ll forget about it, have adapted and moved on.

How do you give someone the rights to withdraw a specific amount from the guild-bank? I looked, but can’t find the option in game. And if the leader had to withdraw and contribute the gold then the same problem would appear again.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Maybe they don’t want a shady character in the guild to steal it.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Gold Transfer Changes

atsuru.6017

Guild banks are also subject to gold withdrawal restrictions.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

They need to do something. Maybe even using the /age counter that has been in the game from day 1. Maybe use AP as the measuring stick. Anything other than the current catch-all system.

But /age and APs makes the whole system useless. Considering that the only thing the gold-sellers would have to do would be to take stolen accounts and use instead. Which they already do.
The only thing adding that limit would do is put accounts at risk even more (there are plenty of people that have way too bad knowledge of account-security).

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Gold Transfer Changes

atsuru.6017

Edit:
I am not sure, but it seems like there is a 500g cap on recieving gold from mail, AND a 500g cap fro withdrawing gold from a guild bank. So effectively, lotteries and what not, can still be award up to 1000g a week. Guild leader send 500g in the mail and deposits 500g in the guild bank. So player can receive 500g in the mail, and withdraw the 500g from the bank.
For amounts larger than 1000g, they have to wait an additional week.
(Plus a 1000g gold prize is VERY generous. And if you are receiving this much gold on a weekly basis from your guilds activities you are VERY lucky indeed….)

One, our lotteries aren’t straight up gold rewards. The guild leader needs to use the collected lottery funds to buy (in our case a legendary), and then send it. This is extremely difficult with a cap as legendaries go for several thousand gold.

And yes, we don’t do this weekly, but we do it frequently enough that our guild leader receives more than 500g a week in the mail.

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

How do you give someone the rights to withdraw a specific amount from the guild-bank? I looked, but can’t find the option in game. And if the leader had to withdraw and contribute the gold then the same problem would appear again.

Simple. Designate an area of the guild bank as “Lottry/prizes/activy rewards” And no one but the GL and officers have permissions. GL and officers deposit the appropriate amount of gold for the prize, and give the winner permissions to withdraw.
This means that GL and officers would have to carry “prize” money in their wallets, but if they are already being trusted to handle large amounts of gold when sending out prizes, then they can be trusted not to spend it.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: NexForce.1654

NexForce.1654

500G may seem like an entirely arbitrary number, but I guarantee it is not. I took a look at our mail data (believe me, you guys really like mail and there is a lot of data) and set the value based on that. At 500G, it is not only functionally effective, but also it will only impact 0.175% of our players during an entire month’s worth of mails (if an account would hit the restriction once per month/30 days).

Looking more directly at those transactions, a large majority (98.228%) of those mails are being sent by RMT or compromised accounts (after selling off everything of value on an account).

Yes, there are going to be some edge cases that this is going to bump into, and as we look more into the impact that this change will have, we might change the restriction. However, we feel that this change is going to significantly impact RMT in our game along with help remove a very large reason to compromise accounts.

This is just the first step in our plan to help users keep their accounts secure. More will come as we progress through the year (and forevers!).

It seems you’re trying to fix a problem by producing another problem. If you have over 95% of these account being either RMT and/or compromised accounts, then do something about your account security. Google authentication, IP tracking.

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

It seems you’re trying to fix a problem by producing another problem. If you have over 95% of these account being either RMT and/or compromised accounts, then do something about your account security. Google authentication, IP tracking.

Account security is only effective if the players themselves use it. Sure you could add more layers, and IP tracking, and authentication, but in the end, if players still use the same passwords for their emails, GW2 accounts, bank accounts, etc. then no amount of security measures is going to stop them from being compromised.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

As some others have said, while the percentage of people Chris/ANet have estimated to be affected is 0.175%, that is likely a wholly inaccurate figure in that I find it hard to believe they’re counting other people who are indirectly affected by this. For example, I was member of a 500+ member guild about half a year back, and everyone wanted to pitch in to buy the leader an expensive (1100g) staff for his birthday if I’m remembering correctly. One person, an officer, was in charge of collecting the money and then executing the sale. Of those 500 or so people, they were the one who would be directly counted towards that 0.175% number, but the other 500 members? Likely not counted, since we were all sending relatively small amounts of gold. It went off without a hitch, the leader got his staff, and everyone was happy.

However, I doubt that ANet can accurately gauge how the rest of the guild would have been affected by this change. There doesn’t seem to be any way to measure that. Much like in the case of weekly lotteries which may have several hundred people contributing, those people are all affected, but don’t have the (dis)pleasure of being counted as “affected” by a hard cap. It was a band-aid to a problem that does exist, but a band-aid that doesn’t solve anything. Sends are still unlimited. People can still trade in items like ecto or extremely high-value items such as the staff I mentioned.

ANet has a long history of never admitting they are wrong (in fact, there is a sinister “don’t-ask-don’t-tell” rule going on with exploits where patched exploits are never even mentioned in update notes, which is a bizarre thing — wouldn’t you want your user base to know they have fixed a way for people to cheat? It’s not like we don’t find out anyway). New “features” are rarely ever rolled back even if nobody likes them. It’s a narcissistic way of conducting the development of a game, in that the presiding idea in the company appears to be “if we like it, you WILL like it.” And that’s just sad.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

(edited by Ark Bladesteele.2943)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

It’s easy to defend the opposing side of an argument when you are not affected by it whatsoever :P

In real life banks also have withdraw limits. I’m sure that it affects someone, but we put up with it for better security.

This is irrelevant since the withdrawal limits in real life are in place for different reasons. IE. for cash reserves, limited atm funding, asset protection.

None of this is relevant to Guild Wars 2 since ANet did not put this system in place for these reasons.

His/her post 100% dead on and one of the reasons why Anet put 500g cap so theifs can’t wipe out a stolen accounts gold in one go same with real life banks. Plus to slow down RTM its not really going to stop them just. So you are wrong and its easy to defend your side of an argument when you are not open minded to the truth while being affected by the new change in how the system works. See it works boths ways!!! Have a good day

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

(edited by JediYoda.1275)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

All gold sellers will do is buy more (hack more) GW2 accounts and transfer gold above the 500g limit. The receiving player is the one that deals with the funnel of the new mechanic. The receiving players (if they are smart) typically are using a cheap account themselves that is signed up to a main account guild storage bank. The gold sellers will send to the buyer of the gold through multiple accounts (if really even necessary).

Ergo, it does absolutely nothing to gold sellers. It only slightly hinders the players buying via RMT.

Now what it does do is the players buying will request the gold seller to provide via other items (if greater than 500g). The gold seller (again) loses nothing besides a little extra time which just means they’ll make even more money.

TL;DR This change does not in any way shape or form stop (or in any way hinder) the gold for real-life cash transactions. All it does is means more GW2 accounts are purchased from ANet. In the process, it hinders legitimate player transactions the AND adds uncertainty to the common and normal liquidity of the auction house.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Make it so gold an items can’t be mailed would kill RTM full stop!!

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Draco Aine.5714

Draco Aine.5714

i am not liking this what so ever. I pulled out 400 gold to buy some items on the market and between what i normally buy, sell, take profit and deposit in personal guild banks, i reached the max and cant get items in my mail. I think 500 gold is not enough, make it 1000 and it would be easier for people who buy and sell expensive items on the market some room without having to hold all the money they have on them at all times.
Again, seems like the players get punished instead of focusing on the reason we have to have these security issues in place. Would love to see more gold sellers getting banned. I go into a town and i start to get whispers one after another. If this were to happen in the real world, put the good people in prison to keep them safe from the crooks.

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

i am not liking this what so ever. I pulled out 400 gold to buy some items on the market and between what i normally buy, sell, take profit and deposit in personal guild banks, i reached the max and cant get items in my mail. I think 500 gold is not enough, make it 1000 and it would be easier for people who buy and sell expensive items on the market some room without having to hold all the money they have on them at all times.
Again, seems like the players get punished instead of focusing on the reason we have to have these security issues in place. Would love to see more gold sellers getting banned. I go into a town and i start to get whispers one after another. If this were to happen in the real world, put the good people in prison to keep them safe from the crooks.

Wait, I’m confused. You withdrew 400g from your personal guild bank, bought and sold some items on the TP, deposited some gold, and went to withdraw some more, but hit the cap?

Or were you buying and selling items outside of the TP, and hit the mail cap?

If its the former, TP profits aren’t effected. And items/gold don’t come in the mail.
If it’s the latter, well P2P trading isn’t supported and strongly discouraged, so you were prevented from doing something you shouldn’t really be doing in the first place.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

Gold Mail and Bank Restrictions are now enabled for everyone on both NA and EU.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The wants of ArenaNet’s pocket book, outweigh the players wants… Live long and prosper.

Fixed it for you

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

Woot!!!

After some time would you be able to share how much of an impact this has had on Gold Sellers, and if there was a decrease in activity?
Thanks!

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Draco Aine.5714

Wait, I’m confused. You withdrew 400g from your personal guild bank, bought and sold some items on the TP, deposited some gold, and went to withdraw some more, but hit the cap?

If its the former, TP profits aren’t effected. And items/gold don’t come in the mail.
If it’s the latter, well P2P trading isn’t supported and strongly discouraged, so you were prevented from doing something you shouldn’t really be doing in the first place.

No, i pulled gold out of my personal bank to buy items on the TP. Must of pulled must of hit cap between deposition earlier in the week or might of pulled out funds throughout the week. I usually deposit funds in only of my banks to hold and not have too much gold on my character. Found out the max was hit when i tried to take a dye worth all of 3 silver out of my mail someone sent me.

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

No, i pulled gold out of my personal bank to buy items on the TP. Must of pulled must of hit cap between deposition earlier in the week or might of pulled out funds throughout the week. I usually deposit funds in only of my banks to hold and not have too much gold on my character. Found out the max was hit when i tried to take a dye worth all of 3 silver out of my mail someone sent me.

Aaaah gotcha. Well you’ll be able to get the rest on sunday. So I don’t know if 3 silvers is going to break you for 2 days…but overall I believe its a good change, and the benefits far out weigh the inconveniences.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Found out the max was hit when i tried to take a dye worth all of 3 silver out of my mail someone sent me.

I don’t think I understand what you are saying. Items sent in the mail are not affected by the gold limit. So you should have still been able to get the dye someone mailed you.

The Burninator

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Unless he has so many gold e-mails that he can’t get to the dye e-mail.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Gold Transfer Changes

JustTrogdor.7892

The problem he described was gold transfers between personal guild bank. So, yeah maybe he was getting gold emails as well. However, if that was the case he would not even know he got the dye email until he was able to clear the gold emails.

The Burninator

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

The problem he described was gold transfers between personal guild bank. So, yeah maybe he was getting gold emails as well. However, if that was the case he would not even know he got the dye email until he was able to clear the gold emails.

Well, unless its bugged at the moment to not allow you to take any mail out of the mail after you hit the cap. I dont suppose that would be possible would it? i wont ever 500 gold, so i cant test it.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

Well, unless its bugged at the moment to not allow you to take any mail out of the mail after you hit the cap. I dont suppose that would be possible would it? i wont ever 500 gold, so i cant test it.

That certainly is a possibility.
For those who are moving so much gold that they hit the cap and are terribly inconvenienced I can be a test subject. Each of you can send me 500g, and a mail with any item. I’ll see if I can get the item after I’ve reach the cap.

It’s for science!

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

Draco Aine.5714

I received no gold in e-mails except maybe 40 gold i moved from one account to another, and 5 gold i lent a guildie. I believe i moved the 40 gold earlier in the week or last weekend. Not concerned about the 3 silver dye or the 5 gold in my mail back from the loan. i can wait on that, just the principal. I did withdraw substantial amounts from one of my guild banks to place buy orders on TP items.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

So let’s say ou’ve received 499G in the mail this week. What happens when you try to receive another 10G? Do you receive all 10G, only 1G, or none of it?

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

So let’s say ou’ve received 499G in the mail this week. What happens when you try to receive another 10G? Do you receive all 10G, only 1G, or none of it?

You should recieve the 1g, hitting the cap, and the rest will be held until reset on sunday.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

JustTrogdor.7892

I received no gold in e-mails except maybe 40 gold i moved from one account to another, and 5 gold i lent a guildie. I believe i moved the 40 gold earlier in the week or last weekend. Not concerned about the 3 silver dye or the 5 gold in my mail back from the loan. i can wait on that, just the principal. I did withdraw substantial amounts from one of my guild banks to place buy orders on TP items.

Then if someone mailed you a dye you should have no problem withdrawing that dye. Can you post a screen shot of the mail with the dye you can’t withdraw? Maybe it is a bug as suggested by someone earlier.

The Burninator

Gold Transfer Changes

Draco Aine.5714

Then if someone mailed you a dye you should have no problem withdrawing that dye. Can you post a screen shot of the mail with the dye you can’t withdraw? Maybe it is a bug as suggested by someone earlier.

i can’t get the 5 gold either from my mail. it is what it is, just have to get all my funds out of my personal guilds, that’s going o take weeks and that sucks.

Gold Transfer Changes

pdavis.8031

i can’t get the 5 gold either from my mail. it is what it is, just have to get all my funds out of my personal guilds, that’s going o take weeks and that sucks.

So it would appear that the limit from the guild bank AND mail is tied together. Initially it sounded like they were separate. But going back and reading the OP, it seems that it’s a 500g limit regardless of the source.

recognize my command!”

Gold Transfer Changes

JustTrogdor.7892

So it would appear that the limit from the guild bank AND mail is tied together. Initially it sounded like they were separate. But going back and reading the OP, it seems that it’s a 500g limit regardless of the source.

And it seems it affects the ability to withdraw items from mail that are not gold as Draco stated he can’t even withdraw the dye someone mailed him. That might be a bug worth reporting.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

How does this work when sending items worth more than 500 gold?

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

How does this work when sending items worth more than 500 gold?

It doesn’t. Send as many as you want (it doesn’t matter when sending gold either — there is no send limit, only receiving). But yes, you can receive as many items as you want regardless of value.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Chris Cleary

Previous

Chris Cleary

Game Security Lead

Next

This restriction should have no effect on items sent through mail. If there is, it’s unintended and most likely a bug.

Professor of Bearbow Math @ Tyria State // @Shazbawt // “The Crippler”

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Wilz.3921

Wilz.3921

Already hit my limit and can’t even get items from mail system. Why do you do this to us? Is there no better option for security improvements? I’d rather play without these so called improvements.

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I need the limit to be at least 3360g per week.
Why? So I can buy 16 Divine Envelopes per day on each of my account next time the chinese new year starts.
16 envelopes * 7 days * 30 accounts = 3360g.

500g = barely enough to buy envelopes on one out of the 7 days.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone would need more than 500g limit per week. At least make the limit cummultative. Eg. if you transfer nothing for 4 weeks you have 2000g limit.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

Gold Transfer Changes

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

or just plan ahead

Gold Transfer Changes

JustTrogdor.7892

This restriction should have no effect on items sent through mail. If there is, it’s unintended and most likely a bug.

That’s what I thought. So the guy that couldn’t get a dye via mail must either be doing something wrong or it is a bug. If it is a bug I would guess we would see more people posting about it by now.

The Burninator