Guild Missions [merged]

Guild Missions [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Joseph Skyrim.2470

Joseph Skyrim.2470

I found the article about gw2 today. It was posted yesterday March 12th and addressed multiple concerns. One of them was guild missions.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2013/03/12/has-guild-wars-2-become-too-complicated/

Cool. They respond on Forbes but not on their own forums. That’s just hilarious.

Here’s a possible good midway point for the small guilds being to small to do it vs big guilds being to bored with it. Scale the content to the total number of members within the guild that starts the mission? I know I mentioned most of this previously but hey, here it is again.

So a guild of 5 would have bounties at 5 times their strength, a guild of 500 would have bounties at 500 times their strength (regardless of how many people are currently active). Alternatively just scale the start cost based on the guild size – 5 man = x5 influence cost per run. 500 = x500 influence cost per run. Easy.

Also for the love of god, don’t make bounties be wandering the whole kitten place until they are activated! If killed or time runs out make them despawn/turn invisible.

When activating a bounty check to see no other guilds currently have them active. If no bounties are available then just fricking say so. 15 minutes is not a long wait.

Also who decided that guild things have to be unlocked in order? Stupid call whoever you are. Go eat a flaming cat (flame legion are tasty).

And even if you ignore everything else I post, can ANet please respond here instead of on various other sites that are totally unrelated to GW2? Sure forbes and reddit maybe hip or whatever but you know where people look for GW2 stuff? On your own kitten webpage. Lyssa confound you.

Guild Missions [merged]

Joseph Skyrim.2470

There are certainly worse grinds out there, but GW2 itself is not grind free.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

Now you grind for top gear and for content, as well as to ungate some content.

First point, I’ll give you that, but barely a point.

Second point, wut? You can see every fractal dungeons by running 1-10. What is this gated content you speak of?

Guild Missions [merged]

Joseph Skyrim.2470

Now you grind for top gear and for content, as well as to ungate some content.

First point, I’ll give you that.

Second point, wut? You can see every fractal dungeons by running 1-10. What is this gated content you speak of?

Guild missions probably.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Guild missions probably.

You can still participate in Guild Missions. Several large guilds have put out calls for public Guild Missions. You (or the OP I guess) should look into it.

Guild Missions [merged]

Joseph Skyrim.2470

Guild missions probably.

You can still participate in Guild Missions. Several large guilds have put out calls for public Guild Missions. You (or the OP I guess) should look into it.

Hmm someone should take initiative and compile a list across the servers when the “big guilds” are running this stuff. That would probably be a useful site.

Didn’t think the general public got good rewards for participation though.

Guild Missions [merged]

Ursan.7846

Hmm someone should take initiative and compile a list across the servers when the “big guilds” are running this stuff. That would probably be a useful site.

Didn’t think the general public got good rewards for participation though.

These guilds hand out invitations, and instructs you to rep the guild while doing these missions. In return, they get much-needed man power to complete these missions. A lot of these reps are medium-sized 50-60 man guilds who are large enough to unlock the missions but not large enough to efficiently do them, and usually doesn’t fret about large number of members not representing 100% of the time.

Here are some examples.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1a5nd7/community_guild_bounties/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1a8ei2/looking_for_weekly_guild_mission_rewards/

Guild Missions [merged]

Joseph Skyrim.2470

Not really interested in merc-ing at this point, but OP might be. Thanks for the links Ursan.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

I found the article about gw2 today. It was posted yesterday March 12th and addressed multiple concerns. One of them was guild missions.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2013/03/12/has-guild-wars-2-become-too-complicated/

Cool. They respond on Forbes but not on their own forums. That’s just hilarious.

Here’s a possible good midway point for the small guilds being to small to do it vs big guilds being to bored with it. Scale the content to the total number of members within the guild that starts the mission? I know I mentioned most of this previously but hey, here it is again.

So a guild of 5 would have bounties at 5 times their strength, a guild of 500 would have bounties at 500 times their strength (regardless of how many people are currently active). Alternatively just scale the start cost based on the guild size – 5 man = x5 influence cost per run. 500 = x500 influence cost per run. Easy.

Also for the love of god, don’t make bounties be wandering the whole kitten place until they are activated! If killed or time runs out make them despawn/turn invisible.

When activating a bounty check to see no other guilds currently have them active. If no bounties are available then just fricking say so. 15 minutes is not a long wait.

Also who decided that guild things have to be unlocked in order? Stupid call whoever you are. Go eat a flaming cat (flame legion are tasty).

And even if you ignore everything else I post, can ANet please respond here instead of on various other sites that are totally unrelated to GW2? Sure forbes and reddit maybe hip or whatever but you know where people look for GW2 stuff? On your own kitten webpage. Lyssa confound you.

I too find it frustrating and a bit disjointed to have to dig information up from other sites. Please use the forum if nothing more than providing a link in the forums to interviews such as the one on Forbes.
This interview addressed concerns about currency and guild missions. Both of which are pretty hot topics — especially the latter.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

“Things that take a long time to complete” are not the same as “Things that take a lot of play time to complete”. If you can’t continuously make progress on it by playing 24/7 it is not a grind. Furthermore, ANet never said they wanted to remove all grinding, they only said they wanted to remove all MANDATORY grinding. And by mandatory grinding they mean grinding to get gear needed to do content. Getting a full set of exotics in order to be able to do all content takes no grind at all. There is no mandatory grind. Whatever grind you find you impose on yourself to get cosmetic upgrades.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

…what about the guild mission unlock?

‘cause I’ve been doing some calculations, and, considering our 30+ active members that generates about 1000 influence a day…

…we will have to play for almost a year, without using any bounties or influence items, to unlock all the guild content.

Is that grinding, or is that something else?

Probably not in te literal sense of the word, but really, playing a year just to be able to play something…that’s a bit harsh, isn’t it?

According to anet/chris whiteside, grinding is doing any activity you do not like over and over.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

This.

Plus the fact that given the feedback here they’ve failed badly in their goals yet they don’t really address that fact. Its another example of a system being released before its ready leading to large numbers of players being put offside. Its mindboggling that they don’t realise by now that new content should be released when its 100% ready.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: ShadowsHardie.2109

ShadowsHardie.2109

Sadly I can only add to all of the complaints, although not really to all of them.

The only thing i want to (and can) complain about is the Guild Bounties. Did they really get tested extensivly? No, Really?
I know ANet repeated continuously its a long-term goal to unlock and work for a guild to actually acomplish the missions, but did you ever sit down and played the missions in an All-Call with the view of people who had never-ever done or heard/ read about them? I find it really hard to believe that. In a small guild (Oh god another of those small guild whiners. Yeah Iknow) like the one I am in, we were able to gather enough people to scout ahead of time, use the path-maps posted on different sides to find each and everyone of the bounties before the start. We got to our two targets and killed them, barely. We only had 15 members present at the time and it took 1 hour of planning, searching, hunting, talking and hoping just to barely kill the two targets in the 15 minute window of the mission.
But is that really the intended way You wanted us to play the Bounty-Hunt? Spreading 15 members of a guild over the world just so each one can have a possible bounty locked down from the get-go only to travel to one location to finally kill them one after the other. Thinking about it, how did the first guilds ever do this? I mean, okay you can decipher the map their on from their “Wanted-Poster” but it takes longer than 15 minutes to walk most of the paths they take. And with no pre-prepared maps and pathways to check and a member near every possible bounty there is no way you can ever reach two targets in the allotted time. Maybe if you knew their exact Spawn-Position (@ the start of each mission) and their probable route of travel a 15-man-team of bountyhunters would be able to catch up to one bounty and slay it. However, there is no way that team would manage to get both.
All in all, I don’t really see how a barely location specific text and picture of a “Bounty” can be reached during the small window of time given for it. And the excuse that even a small guild is capable of doing these bounties with the help of other players dosent really fly. Because a member of that guild must start the fight in the first place and tag the bounty to get credit.

• Sending someone on the map at the start of the mission takes 30-60 sec depending on internetconnection and PC someone is using.
  • Asking for help to the location of the bounty in map chat and getting an answer while looking for oneself can be between another 30 sec to 5 min, depending strongly on how many players are on a map, where they are and if they are even willing to help you out. If noone saw the bounty im stuck running along a path, i dont even know about (baring the use of pathmaps from the internet). Sad thing is, why should a guildmember of another guild tell me where to find and kill a bounty, if the same bounty might become the one their guild is looking for (if he tells me, he has to look all over the place to find it again) but they take another 5 minutes until they are ready to start their bountyhunt.
  • Assuming someone tells me accuratly where to find my bounty another 30 sec loading screen and up to another 60 sec to catch up to it. Time to kill one bounty left: anywhere between 7,5 to 13,5 min (best case: 90 sec to find, worst case: 7,5 min wasted).
  • Now i still have to get every guildmember there and anyone on the map who is willing to help (60 sec – 5 min).

In the end I, we, our whole guild needs to be 100% vigilant group and every last player we meet has to be in a cooperative mood and we need the good fortune of a player spaced around every 2.000 range on the bountymaps not to mention the best internet connection and PC to do this one tiny little start-up mission that will help us unlock all the following ones.
This may be boring for guilds with upwards of 60 active members and an hour of prep-work but doing guildmissions now in their current state is a teeth-grinding chore for small guilds hoping for help from people that are doing their own thing, and a boring hit-or-miss event for large guilds.

My question still remains: Did you really test this before implementing it? And is it working as intended?
Or are we the testsupjects and get the tweaking and numberscrunch done afterwards.

PS: Dont really get the problem of a large guild, where members dont get to tag a mob for the reward. Tier 3 has 6 bounties to take care of, 20-30 players each means a guild can have 120-180 active members and all would get their reward-chest. Advantage big guilds, again ;(

(God I suck at english, next time I use Google-Translator)

(edited by ShadowsHardie.2109)

Guild Missions [merged]

morrolan.9608

From a forbes interview with Isaiah Cartwright: “As we were looking at the play patterns of players, we noticed they were getting through the last step of progression in our game faster than we wanted them to. That would lead them to run out of things to accomplish. We didn’t want to get into a gear-grind scenario, so what we did was add a new tier rarity called “Ascended items.” We wanted to add a step in there to insure that people had a lot to do.”

Anet are fooling themselves on the no grind thing.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

You haven’t played any other MMOs if you can make that statement. Yes, GW2 significantly upped the amount of grind. Despite that, it’s still substantially less grindier than most other MMOs.

If it’s grindy, then you’re only choosing to do so.

So easy to tell GW2 is your first MMO.

It’s funny you should both say this, because we’ve had people who came from WoW in this forum who say that nowadays, WoW is actually less of a grind at the high end than GW2.

I just think it’s interesting that folks in this forum will outright deny that GW2 has any grind in it when we have players who came from other, grindy games saying that they’re surprised how much grind GW2 has. I’d think we should listen to them, since they have this “experience” you’re both talking about.

Yeah, it’s less grindy than many games out there. But it’s not grind-free. I do wish people would stop trying to pretend otherwise.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

If you do it all in one go, it will feel like grinding. If you do other things in between, it will simply be another thing you can do in the game. The choice is yours..

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Guild Missions [merged]

Ursan.7846

Yeah, it’s less grindy than many games out there. But it’s not grind-free. I do wish people would stop trying to pretend otherwise.

Well, I don’t think anyone claims that it’s grind free. That isn’t true, and you have to admit even the two posters you quote don’t claim that. However, it is true that it’s far less grindy than other MMOs, and I’d argue that a lot of the grind isn’t as “mandatory” due to a combat system that pays a premium on smart positioning and dodging as opposed to raw numbers/stat from gear.

Guild Missions [merged]

morrolan.9608

Sadly I can only add to all of the complaints, although not really to all of them.

The only thing i want to (and can) complain about is the Guild Bounties. Did they really get tested extensivly? No, Really?

None of their content releases have been tested remotely well enough. Your comments on the guild missions clearly demonstrate why they’ve failed in their goals and its not just in the initial setting up of the guild missions that he does acknowledge is difficult for small guilds.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Lord Rager.8543

Lord Rager.8543

“Things that take a long time to complete” are not the same as “Things that take a lot of play time to complete”. If you can’t continuously make progress on it by playing 24/7 it is not a grind. Furthermore, ANet never said they wanted to remove all grinding, they only said they wanted to remove all MANDATORY grinding. And by mandatory grinding they mean grinding to get gear needed to do content. Getting a full set of exotics in order to be able to do all content takes no grind at all. There is no mandatory grind. Whatever grind you find you impose on yourself to get cosmetic upgrades.

QFT

BiS vs exotics are a 2% difference. you may live like a sec longer than i would or kill something in 1 less hit.

Also getting the acended gear via dailies isnt a grind as dailies take around 20-40 mins to complete each day. I complete them doing what i enjoy, wvw, leveling up my alt, map completion or even run a fotm or something. Its only grind if you make it out to be one. on the topic of legendary weapons, players make it a grind since they want it now (besides the precursor which is just luck getting)

Commander The Tallest Rager
Darkhaven Asuran Guardian
S O T D Warband [SotD]

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

I can Agree the missions should be unlocked by Influence.

But they SHOULD be an new category of content, and not upgrade based, it makes no sense for me, the system became a nightmare for small guilds, and if we want to do things, we must go to bigger guilds, what is sad because before the update ANet said the fact a guild to be small wont make it unable to do missions, but it does unable them.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

QFT

BiS vs exotics are a 2% difference. you may live like a sec longer than i would or kill something in 1 less hit.

Also getting the acended gear via dailies isnt a grind as dailies take around 20-40 mins to complete each day. I complete them doing what i enjoy, wvw, leveling up my alt, map completion or even run a fotm or something. Its only grind if you make it out to be one. on the topic of legendary weapons, players make it a grind since they want it now (besides the precursor which is just luck getting)

2% per slot. That quickly grows to 20+% increase when they release all of the ascended gear. Even if the numbers are off the idea isn’t. Once all of the gear is released ascended will be a huge improvement over exotics and an entire set of gear for one character for one build will wind up taking anywhere between .5 and 1.5 years to complete of daily play (and I do mean daily. You will have to play every single day of every single month. Kiss life goodbye).

Gating gear behind menial tasks (dailies) is such a bad idea. When I get bored I stop playing. This hurts me a lot more than other games that gate gear behind weekly dungeons. One, it takes significantly less time to get an entire set of dungeon armor than laurel based ascended armor. Two, if I miss a day or two or even five days, I can still get on and do the dungeon whenever I want and be done for a week if that is how I feel. Sometimes I don’t want to log on every single day, but GW2 seems to be made under the idea that I do.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

GW2=Ability to level a character to max in 1 day, acquire best non ascended gear in 1 day. Ability to outright buy the best “looking” legendarys (crazy, but possible). Ability to have a full ascended set in a matter of months. Ability to “beat the game(story)” in a matter of days/weeks.

Nice Skirting of the real facts, how pray tell do you get the ability to buy a Full set of exotics in one day? leveling a character in one day wont award you with the necessary funds, so grind is the way…

Ascended in a matter of months? So its grind Fotm every day or time sink grind with a slice of dailies grind added for good measure. yes its all supposedly “optional” but then so is playing the game, so to progress in this game its buy gems, grind or move on.. epic options..

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

GW2=Ability to level a character to max in 1 day, acquire best non ascended gear in 1 day. Ability to outright buy the best “looking” legendarys (crazy, but possible). Ability to have a full ascended set in a matter of months. Ability to “beat the game(story)” in a matter of days/weeks.

Nice Skirting of the real facts, how pray tell do you get the ability to buy a Full set of exotics in one day? leveling a character in one day wont award you with the necessary funds, so grind is the way…

Ascended in a matter of months? So its grind Fotm every day or time sink grind with a slice of dailies grind added for good measure. yes its all supposedly “optional” but then so is playing the game, so to progress in this game its buy gems, grind or move on.. epic options..

I was level 80 in 1 week w.o crafting, about 2 weeks later I had a full exotic piece in every slot from farming orr and events.(Anyone with $20 bucks can trade for coin and do the exact same thing in 5 minutes.) After the first 80 and knowing what your doing the game is cake. I regularly toss 30g at random things for fun like Uni dyes etc every 2 days. There is always some small grind or what people consider grind in every MMO, that is something that will probably be forever. But this is by far the easiest, least grindiest game I’ve ever played. I mean heck, with 48g I made 83g just by salvaging, there is an entire post on it. And those kits were from chests/rewards.

As for ascended I don’t care much for it as it is completely optional and in no way is required to play the content (aside from AR gear for Fotm.).

As for the term time sinks, I seriously do not understand how people use this negatively. It is an MMO, of course you have time sinks… It isn’t something you beat in a day and wait for a sequel to. And even the time sinks are optional.

But I won’t add to the arguing here, this is just my experience. When someone hasn’t played something like FFXI where you basically need to work 9-5 7 days a week to get anywhere, they really don’t know how bad MMO’s can really be.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

All games have a grind. Welcome to the RPG genre. The grind in GW2 is hardly a grind and what there is that is a grind, is hardly necessary to enjoy all of the game content.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

Well, I don’t think anyone claims that it’s grind free.

What are you talking about? “GW2 has no grind”, in those exact words, has been said in this forum so many times that it makes my head hurt.

That isn’t true, and you have to admit even the two posters you quote don’t claim that.

And I never said they did.

However, it is true that it’s far less grindy than other MMOs, and I’d argue that a lot of the grind isn’t as “mandatory” due to a combat system that pays a premium on smart positioning and dodging as opposed to raw numbers/stat from gear.

True, though it’s still more grind than its predecessor, for example.

I think you should read what we actually posted. Nowhere did any of us say GW2 had no grind. kitten shame too, because our comments were pretty short.

That’s because my post has two clearly distinct sections to it:

1) My reply to you (which states that we have testimony from other MMO players that you’re wrong)
2) My reply to the OP (who was asking about how much grind the game has)

Honestly, do I really have to lay out separate sections in my post just to emphasize this? >_>

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I was level 80 in 1 week w.o crafting, about 2 weeks later I had a full exotic piece in every slot from farming orr and events.(Anyone with $20 bucks can trade for coin and do the exact same thing in 5 minutes.) After the first 80 and knowing what your doing the game is cake. I regularly toss 30g at random things for fun like Uni dyes etc every 2 days. There is always some small grind or what people consider grind in every MMO, that is something that will probably be forever. But this is by far the easiest, least grindiest game I’ve ever played. I mean heck, with 48g I made 83g just by salvaging, there is an entire post on it. And those kits were from chests/rewards.

As for ascended I don’t care much for it as it is completely optional and in no way is required to play the content (aside from AR gear for Fotm.).

As for the term time sinks, I seriously do not understand how people use this negatively. It is an MMO, of course you have time sinks… It isn’t something you beat in a day and wait for a sequel to. And even the time sinks are optional.

But I won’t add to the arguing here, this is just my experience. When someone hasn’t played something like FFXI where you basically need to work 9-5 7 days a week to get anywhere, they really don’t know how bad MMO’s can really be.

So you level in one week now, buy gems and buy your gear, while that’s completely fine, i’m pretty sure it shows what this game is about..

Time sinks can be fine, but the proper way Ascended should have been added would have been completely through the game, crafting, open world, fotm, token dungeons, wvw… but it was gated to slow down a minority, that eat content on all games..the rest suffer for it in my opinion..

I’ve played hundreds of MMO’s over the years, sadly one i never touched was WoW, but i did play Anarchy online, RF Online, Perfect World, Linage 2, Rohan etc etc, all grindy games but they all had their charms…

You knew if you grinded and played enough you’d get in time what you needed, here its so much RNG and cash store currency you may never fulfill a goal and those other games never once said they were something they were not, you knew what you were getting into at beta, Guildwars 2 not so much..

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: SilverSteele.6519

SilverSteele.6519

I just don’t understand what people are expecting from this game to call it “no grind”. Do you want them to hand you the max level gear as soon as you get to max level? In what game does this happen? What do you guys want? In every other mmo, after you get to max level, it’s some form of a grind, whether it’s grinding the same raids over and over for high level gear (that gives you an advantage over players, unlike the cosmetics in this game), doing dailies, or reputation grinding or something. I’m not saying this game doesn’t have grind, I’m just saying it has A LOT less than any other mmo I’ve played or heard of.

Guild Missions [merged]

Geotherma.2395

So you level in one week now, buy gems and buy your gear, while that’s completely fine, i’m pretty sure it shows what this game is about..

Time sinks can be fine, but the proper way Ascended should have been added would have been completely through the game, crafting, open world, fotm, token dungeons, wvw… but it was gated to slow down a minority, that eat content on all games..the rest suffer for it in my opinion..

I’ve played hundreds of MMO’s over the years, sadly one i never touched was WoW, but i did play Anarchy online, RF Online, Perfect World, Linage 2, Rohan etc etc, all grindy games but they all had their charms…

You knew if you grinded and played enough you’d get in time what you needed, here its so much RNG and cash store currency you may never fulfill a goal and those other games never once said they were something they were not, you knew what you were getting into at beta, Guildwars 2 not so much..

No, I’m sorry you misunderstood what I said. I leveled to 80 without gems in 1 week, and with my own farming I had exotics in about 2. What I meant was that anyone with $20 could also have the full exotic set in 5 minutes without ever doing that work and even hit 80 with the right choices on crafting. The game is clearly not about trading gems to gold.. And I have rarely ever done so except when I really needed that extra 1g for some reason or another and gems were up. Otherwise I make my 14+g a day simply by playing the game. By playing this game a month you should have an idea of what your focus is and what you want. How you get there is on your own terms and in my opinion is in no way a grind unless people make it as such. I have only tried WoW for a short time so i do not have much to reference other than friends unbiased opinions and information. As for the rest I’ve been playing MMO’s for around 10 years or so since I was more of an RPG solo player when I was young. And this game has done away with almost everything I hated from the other games. Not to say any of those games didn’t have their own appeal, but this is a huge step. I think people need to give it a chance before dooming it to the level of other MMO’s that have been out for several years.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

You haven’t played any other MMOs if you can make that statement. Yes, GW2 significantly upped the amount of grind. Despite that, it’s still substantially less grindier than most other MMOs.

It’s funny you should both say this, because we’ve had people who came from WoW in this forum who say that nowadays, WoW is actually less of a grind at the high end than GW2.

I just think it’s interesting that folks in this forum will outright deny that GW2 has any grind in it when we have players who came from other, grindy games saying that they’re surprised how much grind GW2 has. I’d think we should listen to them, since they have this “experience” you’re both talking about.

Just because you came from another MMO doesn’t make their opinion gold. As some have stated before, it’s only grindy if you make it grindy. I.e. you’re not grinding for stats but you’re grinding for cometics. Gearing yourself with full exotics can be done in less than a week. Gearing yourself with ascended rings can be done in a week or two at most. Gearing yourself with amulets will take a month and gearing yourself with accessories without a guild is near impossible at this stage. However, exotic accessories are not that much different to ascended ones. At the moment. I’m happily sticking to exotics mostly just cause I know ascended doesn’t make a significant difference (p<0.05). The grind is present when you want elite rare skins which are optional to the game.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Sure, because the people who come from WoW must have BIS gear because all the content in WoW is gated that way.

But if you change your perspective and say I don’t need BIS gear (and you really don’t) suddenly all the grind is voluntary. I can see all the content without a single piece of ascended gear, including all 9 fractals. I can even get all the fractal achievements, every one of them, without ever getting ascended gear.

So WoW players, trained to believe BIS gear is required to play the game see required grind. I don’t.

I’m still playing the same game I played before I had any ascended gear.

Guild Missions [merged]

Ursan.7846

I think before any of you get any further into discussion, you should define fully and clearly what you constitute as grind, personally.

Some people define grind as doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Some people define grind as doing the same ACTION over and over and over again.

Some people define grind as something that takes a long time to do, no matter how varied the activities are.

Also how do you define “required?” If it gates you from content (Not in this game)? If it leaves you inferior to other players (Yes in this game)? Really, how important are these factors to make it “required?”

Unless you clearly lay out the definition of the terms and agree on it, there’s really no point in this discussion.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Or you could just apply common sense.

Guild Missions [merged]

morrolan.9608

I just don’t understand what people are expecting from this game to call it “no grind”.

I want the game that was promised. Best stats gear is not available without a grind.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

GW2=Ability to level a character to max in 1 day, acquire best non ascended gear in 1 day.

Please let me know how this is done! If you’re going to say crafting then isn’t the collection of mats grinding?

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Gestankfaust.4216

Gestankfaust.4216

I just don’t understand what people are expecting from this game to call it “no grind”.

I want the game that was promised. Best stats gear is not available without a grind.

Still here waiting for you…or…waiting for you to change you mind about what grinding really is.

Guild Missions [merged]

Gestankfaust.4216

GW2=Ability to level a character to max in 1 day, acquire best non ascended gear in 1 day.

Please let me know how this is done! If you’re going to say crafting then isn’t the collection of mats grinding?

You want a guide to tell you how to game?

Guild Missions [merged]

StormageddonBK.9842

I make my 14+g a day simply by playing the game.

OMFG! How do you guys do this?! You must have over 1,000 gold now!

I really struggle to make 1-2 gold a day and I’ve been playing 2-5 hours every day since launch. I’ve tried farming Orr, WvW, personal story, dungeons but I just get a silver her and there and then I have to repair gear (at level 80 it gets really expensive). The most I’ve got is 6 silver for taking down a garrison or 50 silver for the monthly… T.T

Guild Missions [merged]

StormageddonBK.9842

No but I don’t understand how you can level 1-80 in a day by playing the game. It seems impossible when it takes up to an hour to gain a level.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

The thing that scares me is that laurels look as if they are getting more necessary as time passes.

I know this isn’t GW1 anymore, but I would really like to take some (months) off some time later (like I did with GW1) but it would feel like I’m utterly behind on everything.

In GW1 you could take the longest break and all you would need to do is research some.skill changes and maybe change your runes.

In this game, you’re probably going to want to do fractals, get laurels, do guild missions, and many more as they progress through for ascended items in the future.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Guild Missions [merged]

Gestankfaust.4216

I really struggle to make 1-2 gold a day and I’ve been playing 2-5 hours every day since launch. I’ve tried farming Orr, WvW, personal story, dungeons but I just get a silver her and there and then I have to repair gear (at level 80 it gets really expensive). The most I’ve got is 6 silver for taking down a garrison or 50 silver for the monthly… T.T

Between you and the person you quoted is where you could be. You should not struggle to make 1-2 gold. But kitten will always say they make around 14.

You can figure it out depending on how you want to play

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

I don’t think those would be grind. I can understand if you’re referring to Legendary grind because there’s so much requirements for a single mat. But… guild missions I’m having trouble seeing as a grind because it seems like a goal to progress over a long period of time. Due to the large variety of ways for you to get influence, it’s hard to call that a grind. You also have to remember that “grind” is very subjective to the person saying it. Like me, I got a really different definition of grind due to my many past experiences with other MMOs (which are all much more “grindy” than GW2 in my opinion).

Of course, if you’ve played grindy MMOs a lot in the past, then you will learn tricks to adjusting your playstyle to avoid grind as much as possible, so it’s entirely possible that my playstyle is doing that exactly, and yours did something else that might have brought grind.

Guild Missions [merged]

Geotherma.2395

From a lazy persons perspective you could simply buy the funds to support the craft. From my perspective when I was gathering etc and leveling my main, those mats allowed me to make money or use them to level crafting on my second character. It seems as though every character you hit 80 with just makes it easier and easier lol. But no the collecting the mats is only grinding if you see it that way. That word “grinding” is overly used without a very specific definition. I could say merely logging in to do the daily is a grind, where others do fotm every day all week long and call doing dragon events grinding. Personally I see grinding as being forced to do something to get to something else you want. If you are willingly doing it because you have a goal, then i don’t see it as grinding I see it as working towards your goal. I know that sounds confusing lol.
But now say you need to log in every single day gather 300 ore, if you don’t you will never get the item you want. There’s no other options, and this item is required to enjoy the game. You could consider that a grind I suppose.

On the flip side, you could simply call EVERYTHING a grind since, well, it is lol. Your grinding your skills, your grinding dailies, monthlies, dungeons, events. I think the importance isn’t IF your grinding but WHAT your grinding and how hard it is. If you’re doing something that helps you enjoy the game, well I call that playing the game.

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

CoF farming & event farming with Omnomberry Bar +guildflag bonus. 8-12g after 5 hours on average depends on how long you can take doing the same thing over and over and luck.

I dont do it cause i dont care about my gold.

Guild Missions [merged]

Gestankfaust.4216

From a lazy persons perspective you could simply buy the funds to support the craft. From my perspective when I was gathering etc and leveling my main, those mats allowed me to make money or use them to level crafting on my second character. It seems as though every character you hit 80 with just makes it easier and easier lol. But no the collecting the mats is only grinding if you see it that way. That word “grinding” is overly used without a very specific definition. I could say merely logging in to do the daily is a grind, where others do fotm every day all week long and call doing dragon events grinding. Personally I see grinding as being forced to do something to get to something else you want. If you are willingly doing it because you have a goal, then i don’t see it as grinding I see it as working towards your goal. I know that sounds confusing lol.
But now say you need to log in every single day gather 300 ore, if you don’t you will never get the item you want. There’s no other options, and this item is required to enjoy the game. You could consider that a grind I suppose.

On the flip side, you could simply call EVERYTHING a grind since, well, it is lol. Your grinding your skills, your grinding dailies, monthlies, dungeons, events. I think the importance isn’t IF your grinding but WHAT your grinding and how hard it is. If you’re doing something that helps you enjoy the game, well I call that playing the game.

Awesome post

Guild Missions [merged]

Geotherma.2395

Lol I get this alot, and alas I do not tell everyone what exactly i do. But gold is easy to come by in game, if you know what you are doing. One thing i CAN tell you is to try to avoid being killed, I know how silly that sounds. Do things with groups and struggle to stay in the downed state and not get defeated. You can be downed a gazillion times and never have to repair. Just make sure you have people around you.

One day I will work on a guide, but not today :P I just did hours of research on BL kits and master kits and that racked my brain pretty hard lol. But I’ll give you a hint:

“It’s not what you find, it’s how much you find.”

Guild Missions [merged]

Gestankfaust.4216

CoF farming & event farming with Omnomberry Bar +guildflag bonus. 8-12g after 5 hours on average depends on how long you can take doing the same thing over and over and luck.

I dont do it cause i dont care about my gold.

Soo….what?

Guild Missions [merged]

Geotherma.2395

Between you and the person you quoted is where you could be. You should not struggle to make 1-2 gold. But kitten will always say they make around 14.

The difference is I have videos on these forums showing me making 2g/hr ^^ And everyone on my server who partys with me will agree. But if you are 80 and haven’t been around long there’s nothing wrong with making about 1-3g a day as a casual player.

Guild Missions [merged]

Gestankfaust.4216

The difference is I have videos on these forums showing me making 2g/hr ^^ And everyone on my server who partys with me will agree. But if you are 80 and haven’t been around long there’s nothing wrong with making about 1-3g a day as a casual player.

No I getcha now…

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

None of this would be a problem if members of small guilds could help with missions and get equivalent rewards. The major problem, again, is that you cannot be in a small guild and get the rather generous rewards for completing guild missions.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Guild Missions [merged]

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

No but I don’t understand how you can level 1-80 in a day by playing the game. It seems impossible when it takes up to an hour to gain a level.

A guildmate made his character one day, and in 36 hours he was level 75 and claimed he could have been 80 if he’d focused. If you assume he did some of this via crafting and leveled his relevant gear-crafting professions? He could probably turn around at 80 and sink not-too-much into the Trading Post to make up a difference in materials and make Exotics.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.