Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Merlot.8567

Merlot.8567

You kittenwits are acting like your character being in a T frame actually has an impact in the game world. Wow – just wow.

Do not let the GW2 forums become the new Tumblr!

Posted by: Dragon.8612

Dragon.8612

Anyone who thinks this is offensive needs a large, large, large, large, large dose of reality.

Literally getting offended just for the sake of getting offended. What a joke.

The real April Fools joke is you clowns being perpetually kitten on the forums.

The real joke is that you think you can insult people for having their own opinions on a public forum. You need a reality check and you need to learn some manners. If you have nothing nice or constructive to say you can leave and say nothing at all. No one here is hating on ANet or other players we are just voicing our opinions and concern so stop acting like someone is attacking you or the game itself. Otherwise your comment is just hateful and childish.

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

You all realize you don’t have to read what I say right? You could just ignore it if you have nothing constructive to say or don’t agree with it.

You make a post on the forums and immediately don’t want feedback unless people agree?
Do you how forums work?

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I can’t believe people are upset about this. It’s for one day and it’s hilarious. Get the stick out of your kitten.

It’s not hilarious.

It was certainly quite fun for a few minutes.

I really don’t understand how you could find it funny, though?

You have seen some comedy shows and stand up comedians, right?

They’re funny, whereas this is just fun (for a while).

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Erika Swan.6835

Erika Swan.6835

Last year’s bobblehead was meh for me, but this year’s Aviator dreamers is one of their best ideas. The plane sound when you are running are just perfect. Running in a zerg in WvW with everyone acting like they are flying planes? That was priceless

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Suggestion Anet

Please run the numbers and find out if you had a dip in players ingame tonight and a drop in cash shop sales.

If so please stop doing April Fools events that effect our character models.

JQ Druid

Posted by: olTThreelo.6710

olTThreelo.6710

If you find this funny past a few minutes, you have a problem. I don’t mind the joke, I mind that you can’t turn it off once it’s worn out it’s welcome.

Posted by: TheBeany.7380

TheBeany.7380

The airplane noises are awesome. I don’t have to make the airplane noises in my head anymore

Posted by: barnabas j collins.2306

barnabas j collins.2306

I have really enjoyed the joke – and i would love to keep the assuran flying broom animation. Would it get irritating if it were for more than a day? yes. but for one day it’s a ton of fun. Thanks ANet!

Posted by: LouDrew.1340

LouDrew.1340

The only impairing thing is the horrible filter. You can turn that off by turning post processing completely off at least.

What about the altered dialog (if you want to hear normal dialog), altered headgear, and messed up animations? Playing a game with messed up animations impairs my ability to enjoy it.

Then don’t play for 24 hours. I’m pretty sure you’ll live.

Posted by: Viridianna.9347

Viridianna.9347

Anyone who thinks this is offensive needs a large, large, large, large, large dose of reality.

Literally getting offended just for the sake of getting offended. What a joke.

The real April Fools joke is you clowns being perpetually kitten on the forums.

Yes tell me what a large dose of reality is, oh forum warrior.

Dragon.8612

I’m a game designer too (or am I posing) and I thing it’s wonderful what they have done!

(I’m glad I clarified my qualifications in order to comment i a way that will show my opinion is superior to other, unqualified posters. I may be a game designer, a wonderful dresser, and an all around nice guy, really I may be, and I have certificates to prove it!)

Yes I thought about this point you are making and I realized I would rather not give my personal credentials out just to prove who I am seeing how this is just a post on a forum for an event that occurred in a game. Just giving my opinion, if you want to believe me or not that is entirely your decision. Thanks for responding

So please tell us, what games have you designed? You say you don’t want to give out credentials, but you have no problem trying to act superior by claiming to be something. If you aren’t willing to back it up, then it’s meaningless and should be taken as the troll comment it likely is.

If you read other comments you would see that I literally gave this as just a reference point to say I had a background in this field and that is where my opinion comes from. I never once said I was better than anyone else. You are just assuming that. Again I don’t feel the need to divulge my personal information, specifically because I don’t think it makes me better than anyone else. I just used this to give context to my point of view.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

-sigh- The only nature I can agree with is that this may have emotionally impacted grieving families who lost loved ones in the recent disasters.

Was this update offensive? No – what’s offensive is acting offended and being insensitive while waving torches and pitchforks, jumping up and down and yelling ‘airplanes are offensive!’ while families are brutally reminded WHY they are grieving.

Was this short-sighted? Well, maybe. But everyone is guilty of being short-sighted, at one point or another.

Can we please…PLEASE…..move on with a mature attitude?

I was enjoying this game, until people started raging and ranting…the toxicity and negativity killed the mood. Now I’m probably a bad person for appreciating this little joke. I’m gonna head off now…I guess it’s too much to ask for people to take a deep breath and see this in another light.

(edited by Arikyali.5804)

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

First off Mr. I Want Attention By Creating a Whole New Thread and Claim I Am a Game Designer, the obvious parts of the mechanics ARE able to be turned off. The outstretched arms, well, if that annoys you or anyone else, you should really seek counseling, and I mean that in all sincerity because it shows you have deep issues to let a simple few pixels being outstretched in a game bother you.

Secondly, I am sure most are aware of the Germanwings tragedy. Well, there are tragedies every day in life, that is just a simple fact. One of the best ways to deal with things is to not let those who do things like that have control over your life. if you want to give that suicidal co pilot some form of control over your life, that is fine, your life, your decision, but if we are going to stop having fun and enjoyment every time something awful happens in the world there would never be another moment of happiness.

As for the role players, Anet created this game to push THEIR storyline. I am sure they have no problem with others writing their own personal stories and acting them out, but they still have to do so in the context of what is going on in the game. During Halloween RPers are “forced” to deal with Mad King Thorn in LA, do you object to that as well? Or the hover peppermints for Wintersday.

Guess what, there is NOTHING Anet, nor anyone else on any other game or product, can do that will please everyone. Someone will ALWAYS complain about something, such is life. If you were really a game designer that fact would be self evident. Since it’s not, that disproves your unsubstantiated claim.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

(edited by Wildkitten.3872)

Posted by: Badwolf.9725

Badwolf.9725

when a real life tragedy so closely resembling the joke is playing itself out in the media as we speak.

WHAT?! “So closely resembling” what? Airplanes, yes, they exist. That doesn’t mean we have to pretend they don’t when something tragic happens. PLANES DO EXIST!!!! I mean, let me be frank here, if this prank “closely resembles” the tragic event, you and I have a very different idea of what was happening on those planes at the last moment… I’m not trying to be an kitten in saying that, but I don’t think this prank “closely resembles” any tragedy I’ve seen on the news…

Posted by: Vinegaroon.4369

Vinegaroon.4369

Time to load up the Typhoon fleet issue and play a real game.

Wildkitten.3872

I’m a game designer too (or am I posing) and I thing it’s wonderful what they have done!

(I’m glad I clarified my qualifications in order to comment i a way that will show my opinion is superior to other, unqualified posters. I may be a game designer, a wonderful dresser, and an all around nice guy, really I may be, and I have certificates to prove it!)

Yes I thought about this point you are making and I realized I would rather not give my personal credentials out just to prove who I am seeing how this is just a post on a forum for an event that occurred in a game. Just giving my opinion, if you want to believe me or not that is entirely your decision. Thanks for responding

So please tell us, what games have you designed? You say you don’t want to give out credentials, but you have no problem trying to act superior by claiming to be something. If you aren’t willing to back it up, then it’s meaningless and should be taken as the troll comment it likely is.

If you read other comments you would see that I literally gave this as just a reference point to say I had a background in this field and that is where my opinion comes from. I never once said I was better than anyone else. You are just assuming that. Again I don’t feel the need to divulge my personal information, specifically because I don’t think it makes me better than anyone else. I just used this to give context to my point of view.

And other comments of yours prove you aren’t. For one thing, if you were a game designer, you would want to tell people what games you have helped design. For another, you would know you can’t please all people all the time.

And yes, you do think it makes you better than anyone else or you would not have led off with the claim.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Richard.7564

Richard.7564

I have been pleased with Arenanet in the past but I want you to know that I find it in bad taste and lacking sensitivity with the current animation of the in game character airplane function because of the recent plane crash in the French Alps. I knew someone on that plane and I’m not happy with the lack of sensitivity for people eho lost someone on that flight.

Posted by: Viridianna.9347

Viridianna.9347

-sigh- The only nature I can agree with is that this may have emotionally impacted grieving families who lost loved ones in the recent disasters.

Was this update offensive? No – what’s offensive is acting offended and being insensitive while waving torches and pitchforks, jumping up and down and yelling ‘airplanes are offensive!’ while families are brutally reminded WHY they are grieving.

Was this short-sighted? Well, maybe. But everyone is guilty of being short-sighted, at one point or another.

Can we please…PLEASE…..move on with a mature attitude?

I don’t see anything immature about expression on the forums. Especially done in mediocrity, like we are now.

Posted by: Smartcat.2130

Smartcat.2130

As for the role players, Anet created this game to push THEIR storyline. I am sure they have no problem with others writing their own personal stories and acting them out, but they still have to do so in the context of what is going on in the game. During Halloween RPers are “forced” to deal with Mad King Thorn in LA, do you object to that as well? Or the hover peppermints for Wintersday.

But this airplane thing isn’t a story, it has nothing to do with ANY story. So I don’t understand your argument.

define normal…

Posted by: Vykoz.7803

Vykoz.7803

yeah someone will always complain, but this is not just some, this is a lot of people complaining, which is deffintely not something you want if you want to keep customers.

They really are making a lot of people not play / get annoyed / get sad over this.

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

It’s one day out of the year, people really need to stop QQ’ing and get over it. Not like its a week long event like some others. It’s a simple prank that they do one day each year, April fools day.

And for anyone associating this religiously needs to get a grip. Have you seen your characters when they’re still loading? —> T
People taking things so literally.. have some fun for once.

Just be glad no ones going out and wrapping saran wrap all over your cars.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

i also think that this joke is not so fun for Germany what was happening not so long time back with Germanwings

Posted by: Beaker.6972

Beaker.6972

This sucks. The only thing stupider is the replies like this “I’m pretty sure you’ll live.” Voicing an opinion on a forum designed to get feedback from people is apparently being too dramatic. Unlike posting “QUIT COMPLAINING” on every topic that you don’t agree with.

Wildkitten.3872

But this airplane thing isn’t a story, it has nothing to do with ANY story. So I don’t understand your argument.

There is a LOT of things EVERY MMO maker puts in games at various times of the year, especially on April Fool’s, that are not part of the story. The point is, it’s ANET’s game. They are famous for their April Fool’s Day stuff. I remember being a stick figure, being switched with the minis when they were full size and the player was mini size.

The point is, RPers should not have an expectation that their RP will never be affected because it will be.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Merlot.8567

Merlot.8567

Please fix. Ill be loging in to check if its has been removed.. wont be doing anyting other than checking… cant stand to play game like this.. bad move arena net for a joke this is more like a hack.. somthing lizard squad would do to make ppl not play.. you just hacked your self arena net are you stupid

LOL HOLY kitten. This is the most hilarious thing I have read. What a kittening moron.

Do not let the GW2 forums become the new Tumblr!

Posted by: nothing.7941

nothing.7941

As I said, I don’t think this was a bad idea. For every role player this may have offended, there is a player who is currently running around LA giggling their butt off at how funny this is to them.

So they only kittened half their player base tonight? Look, I don’t agree with the current events component of the criticism, that gives far too much credit to the 13 years olds in charge at anet. But this was so horribly executed, so not funny, such a deal breaker for playing this game that’s an escape for us, but so obviously a job for them…never more obvious than tonight what a job, what a grind this is for the people in charge of this game. It’s just stunning how out of touch these people are with their customers. RP players offended? lol, hello gvg!

Martin Firestorm, Borlis Pass
Gaile Gray wrote:
Oh wait, read Martin Firestorm, he says it better…

(edited by nothing.7941)

Tigaseye.2047

The outstretched arms, well, if that annoys you or anyone else, you should really seek counseling, and I mean that in all sincerity because it shows you have deep issues to let a simple few pixels being outstretched in a game bother you.

Thanks so much for your professional diagnosis, doctor.

Because, that is exactly the part that irritates me.

Funny, because other people in my guild have more of an issue with the hat, which I would have thought would be slightly less of a problem, visually speaking, than permanently outstretched arms.

But still, what would I know?

You’re the doctor…

All we are asking for is the option to switch it off, after a while, that’s all.

It shouldn’t be a big deal – other games companies manage it, so why not ANet?

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

Guys, you really need to cool your jets. Time will fly by before you know it.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

(edited by Aguri.2896)

Posted by: rush.8967

rush.8967

Pathetic attempt of complaining OP

Posted by: FemmeFatale.2839

FemmeFatale.2839

Terrible idea. Was really looking to get immersed in the game tonight but not going to happen. I can’t believe there is no opt out. Nice to know ANET cares nothing about the players and just does what it wants.

Wildkitten.3872

Please fix. Ill be loging in to check if its has been removed.. wont be doing anyting other than checking… cant stand to play game like this.. bad move arena net for a joke this is more like a hack.. somthing lizard squad would do to make ppl not play.. you just hacked your self arena net are you stupid

Please don’t come back at all. We like having people with a sense of humor.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Wildkitten.3872

If they gave people the option to turn the broken sound and animations, no problem. But they didn’t… so we are stuck with glitchy game play. Not funny.

Oh wait, post processing….

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Krypto.2069

Krypto.2069

you just hacked your self arena net are you stupid

I lol’d

I did too…LOL.. because he’s right! With this “joke”, Anet probably got more people to NOT play GW2 today than many hackers who have attempted to do the same! (Look at the forum postings for evidence.) That’s sad.

I play every day. And tonight I logged in, tried to WvW and it was horrible. So I came back to the forums, found how to turn the sepia off and kill the annoying idiotic, drunk/stoned sounds my toon was making and tried battling again… but it was still bull-kitten. So, yeah, I agree with Merciless – self hacked.

Moonlight [THRU]

Posted by: phaneo.4597

phaneo.4597

- School shootings are regular happenings in US – remove rifles/engi turrets
- We kill animals all the time in-game – PETA is offended so remove all animals
- Lot of soldiers lose their arms/legs to grenades or mortars -remove engi grenades & mortar elite
- Some random dude in Skyrim stopped being an adventurer and is offended by excessive use of arrows in GW2 – so take out all Arrow carts, Longbows and Shortbows
- Cantha was a mess with mixing different East Asian themes offending these RL countries who don’t like each other – remove Cantha, oh wait they did that already and people complained for over 2 years…

KNOW YOUR ROLE, JABRONI!
Tee See

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I like how every time Anet does something mildly irritating to a small group of people, they automatically claim “They don’t care about the players!”

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Sagaciousmoke.8209

Sagaciousmoke.8209

Hey, my grandfather died of a heart attack brought on by poor heating and high cholesterol. Should probably remove Butter, Onion Rings, Candy Corn Cake, Chocolate Omnomberry Cream, etc from the game as well just to be safe.

Posted by: HanaFujii.3528

HanaFujii.3528

Now to the second topic. While the joke may have been completely innocent, ArenaNet should have looked into public events and changed what they were doing or had nothing at all.

This a major company with enough resources to, at the very least, read the daily news on their smart phones. Someone had to have known what happened recently and they should have stopped this before it happened.

So let me ask you this. If you are so concerned about this and think it is in bad taste, where were you last year for the big bobble heads when there are children suffering from hydrocephalus? I mean if you really want to go onto the childish old leather flying cap and making airplane noises and complain because there was a crash, where were you last year?

So an airplane crash that happened recently is more important than the other airplane crashes from last year and before?

I didn’t see anyone complaining about the big heads being offensive last year so I guess that was OK with you, right?

Wildkitten.3872

Terrible idea. Was really looking to get immersed in the game tonight but not going to happen. I can’t believe there is no opt out. Nice to know ANET cares nothing about the players and just does what it wants.

Yeah, they should have a post processing menu option under graphics settings!!!!

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Sobat.8650

Sobat.8650

The best medicine is laughter.

Posted by: ckooken.8190

ckooken.8190

No matter what you do now days you are going to end up offending someone, no matter how harmless it may seem. How do you expect Anet to have forseen such events when planning the April Fools event in the past month or so?

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Same. This event was a huge home run. The guild had a lot of fun and a lot of laughs tonight.

Great job, Anet.

Wildkitten.3872

The outstretched arms, well, if that annoys you or anyone else, you should really seek counseling, and I mean that in all sincerity because it shows you have deep issues to let a simple few pixels being outstretched in a game bother you.

Funny, because other people in my guild have more of an issue with the hat, which I would have thought would be slightly less of a problem, visually speaking, than permanently outstretched arms.

You’re the doctor…

All we are asking for is the option to switch it off, after a while, that’s all.

You mean option like Post Processing which does in fact turn off the most obvious parts?

And sorry, but really, if you are bothered by pixels being outstretched in a game, you really do have issues. Don’t need to be a doctor to know it, merely have common sense.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

It’s only insensitive when you made it out to be

Posted by: Cactus.5298

Cactus.5298

My guild even made a thing with this event.

Who would’ve thought that games were meant for fun?

Thanks Anet!

Tigaseye.2047

You’re the doctor…

You mean option like Post Processing which does in fact turn off the most obvious parts?

And sorry, but really, if you are bothered by pixels being outstretched in a game, you really do have issues. Don’t need to be a doctor to know it, merely have common sense.

No, I obviously don’t mean that, do I?

Did you read my post, at all?

I don’t want to play with my char’s arms permanently outstretched, in the same way that some people, apparently, don’t want to play in a hat.

I’m not going to lose sleep over it, but I just don’t feel like playing like that.

That is my opinion, it is a perfectly reasonable opinion and I am entitled to it.

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

We just had a string of terrible plane crashes, including one last week. How does something so insensitive slip through?

Why aren’t you harassing your government to suspend all air travel? People might, you know, look up and be offended. No really, my question is at least as serious as yours.

The German forums, where people apparently had family members affected by this tragedy, are really upset: https://forum-de.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Un-gl-cklicher-Aprilscherz.

If they really are family members, they were ALREADY “really upset” for reasons that have nothing to do with an MMO they apparently logged into while still waiting to bury their kin. And I feel for them. But this parroting BS you are doing? No sympathy whatsoever.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Dragon.8612

You all realize you don’t have to read what I say right? You could just ignore it if you have nothing constructive to say or don’t agree with it.

You make a post on the forums and immediately don’t want feedback unless people agree?
Do you how forums work?

Do you know how to read? Never once did I say I didn’t want feedback or people to disagree with me, in fact, I welcome it. I specifically asked for it. I just asked if people could be constructive instead of just spewing hate. I never told them they couldn’t do that either. I simply asked them a question related to what they were doing.

(edited by Dragon.8612)

Posted by: abbetd.5912

abbetd.5912

i also think that this joke is not so fun for Germany what was happening not so long time back with Germanwings

There are rifles and pistols in this game. How many people die every day from gunshots? There are ongoing wars in this game. How many people are affected by real wars? if you eliminate evening from a game that might offend, upset, our cause discomfort, you’ll end up with. .. well, judging by the number of “I’m offended” posts on the forum… a very bland, boring, pointless game.

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Seems pretty sensitive to me!

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)