Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

gg.

Why does it matter whose loved ones they are?
Are they somehow less important just because they are not my loved ones?

Echoing.

This answer right here should have ended the thread.

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

While the timing was unfortunate (don’t blame Anet for their poor timing, the prank was already being developed…)

It’s just a game people. It was meant to be funny. I’m Catholic and I didn’t think of cruxification when I first logged in.

I found the plane noises funny (it didn’t even cross my mind at first about the EU plane crash). Relax, it’ll be gone in 8 hours. Sheesh.

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

This is just a simple – and, for many of us – enjoyable April Fools Day joke. For posters on this forum to try and associate it in any way with the recent tragedy is insulting and inflammatory, at minimum.

It is really easy to draw lines between things that, in reality, have nothing to do with each other. For example, different races fight against each other every day in GW2 pvp, but I don’t think anyone sees that as a statement about, or allusion to, racial strife in the real world.

I think we are seeing a lot of these posts because people don’t like the joke (which is okay) but realize simply stating that wouldn’t have the same impact as trying to incite moral outrage (which is ridiculous in this case – its just a simple April Fool’s Day joke).

Having players stick their arms out to the side and giving the screen a 1950s aviation film feel isn’t a social statement or allusion to anything – it’s just a fun little joke (which will be gone later today anyway).

Well spoken!

Everyone should read this.

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Hey Dragon, did you know that there have been thousands upon thousands of people dying from pistols, and rifles, and melee weapons. People are shot with pistols every day!!!. I guess you can’t use those in game either… that sux.

Posted by: Hyavan.9027

Hyavan.9027

Does anyone know when the Airplane Apirl Fools will like stop? It was cute at the start now its getting a LITTLE old. e.e; I hope they reset soon so we can look normal again.

Posted by: Relair.1843

Relair.1843

For every whiner with no sense of fun or whimsy that kittens on the forums, there are hundreds of fans who are having a grand time being an old timey fighter jet and loving every minute of it. This is an april fool’s I won’t ever forget and I applaud anet for it! Keep up the good work and don’t cave and become boring because of a few haters, I can’t wait to see what you come up with next year!

Posted by: DeamonSamurai.6504

DeamonSamurai.6504

It’s people like this that are so uptight about every little thing that for those of use that don’t take offense to everything, we are the one that should feel guilty? I love the airplane idea and the nostalgia look. Especially the airplane sounds as you run around. I vote we get an option for /airplane whenever we want to. People just need to loosen up.

Posted by: AJSolaire.6409

AJSolaire.6409

So what if you’re offended?

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

Come on, already being developed? like this stupid thing was developed. All they did was lock the upper character body in one static pose, and spend 5 minutes recording stupid mouth noises. If they spent more than an hour on this I’d be very surprised.

Posted by: Relair.1843

Relair.1843

I used to want SAB to return like everyone else, but people have gotten so ridiculous about it that I hope it never comes back at this point. Should the opening of southsun come back for people who missed it? The first halloween? Destruction of LA? Some things just pop up once, are fun, and then are gone. That’s the way it goes.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

What is wrong with you people. It is one day all year. Not only that but it is the one day all year that you should be expecting something ridiculous and potentially game breaking to happen. It’s supposed to. It’s expected. It’s traditional.

Either take it for what it is, light hearted and cute, or shut down and wait a day. Everything will go back to normal after reset.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

Come on, already being developed? like this stupid thing was developed. All they did was lock the upper character body in one static pose, and spend 5 minutes recording stupid mouth noises. If they spent more than an hour on this I’d be very surprised.

I don’t think you understand how game development works.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I used to want SAB to return like everyone else, but people have gotten so ridiculous about it that I hope it never comes back at this point. Should the opening of southsun come back for people who missed it? The first halloween? Destruction of LA? Some things just pop up once, are fun, and then are gone. That’s the way it goes.

Then they shouldnt have sold an item for gems that many people bought. Im looking at the infinite continue coin. Something i spent 10$ on because i loved SAB enough to want to play it without having to leave because i died. And now? I payed for something that i havent been able to use in almost 2 years, unlike all my other gem store purchases.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Kal Spiro.9745

This is a PRANK, what prank has a button to turn it off?

What prank lasts 24 kittening hours?

A prank that needs to be accessible to every single person that logs in throughout the day, even if it’s in the last five minutes.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Hyavan.9027

Personally this isn’t offensive at all. It’s just something small, and simple. The fact your toon is flying around and making airplane noses mean nothing to the recent events. It’s a Simple JOKE…. J-O-K-E! Yes what happened to the people on Germany is sad, My heart goes out to them, it does… but I am sure some of them aren’t even on the game right now playing if there were family on that plane that went down… Just stop making a mountain out of a Mole hill, theres no reason for it.

Posted by: DeamonSamurai.6504

DeamonSamurai.6504

Wow why are so many people blown up about this? I enjoyed it very much. Zanex it dude, chill.

Posted by: moonsugar.4793

moonsugar.4793

Maybe this is just me, but if I had recently lost someone to a tragedy the last thing I’d care about is something happening in a game. My priorities would be: seeking therapy and spending time with friends and family. Seriously, gaming wouldn’t even enter my mind.

(edited by moonsugar.4793)

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

Tragedies happen everyday you can relate any tragedy to video game content. It’s just that the media decided to cover the plane tragedy extensively that everyone knows about it. I don’t know how you people get by in your daily lives if something that lasts a day in a video game provokes anger out of you

When 9/11 happened, Konami reworked the entire ending sequence of Metal Gear Solid 2 to avoid references to the Twin Towers.

A week after a mass murder by airplane, Anet could have not had an April fools where you get victory music for crashing and dying.

Timing is a key part of comedy, but it seems Anet have no understanding of timing, nor tact.

A lot of their white knights here on the forums appear to have no understanding of empathy either.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Is it a bad time to now say my Canthans are going to bomb Lion’s Arch Harbor?

“For the Emperor!”

Attachments:

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Dante.1763

A prank that needs to be accessible to every single person that logs in throughout the day, even if it’s in the last five minutes.

As quite a few of the saner of us who are annoyed at this prank, 90% of the issues pertaining to it, could have been solved by making it a toggleable buff, that you can click on or off at will for entire day. Actually an even better prank i think, and my family agrees, would have been for your character to randomly go into airplane mode while you are running. If you enter combat it ends, but when you are running you would randomly do it!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Lighteye.1463

Lighteye.1463

I think this is an awesome April Fool’s joke and not insensitive. Do you remember being a kid and pretending to be an airplane? I do, it was great! This joke reminds me of the old fighter planes with the Aviator caps and goggles.

I feel bad for ArenaNet getting crapped on because everyone gets offended at the slightest thing.

Thanks ArenaNet for providing me with entertainment for the day, I enjoyed it.

Eight Samurai.6840

With the broken logic that running around with your hands in the airplane shape is offensive because of the plane crashes that happened these couple weeks, I just have one thing to say. Using your own logic, you should not be allowed to use any melee weapon, especially rifles and pistols, because people around the world are killed daily because of them.

The only 2 weapons that wouldn’t be offensive are magical staffs and focuses because there are been no reported deaths due to these 2 weapons. Enjoy the game, the Anet teams are professionals at making April Fools fun and silly.

Posted by: munki.6402

munki.6402

Tragedies happen everyday you can relate any tragedy to video game content. It’s just that the media decided to cover the plane tragedy extensively that everyone knows about it. I don’t know how you people get by in your daily lives if something that lasts a day in a video game provokes anger out of you

When 9/11 happened, Konami reworked the entire ending sequence of Metal Gear Solid 2 to avoid references to the Twin Towers.

A week after a mass murder by airplane, Anet could have not had an April fools where you get victory music for crashing and dying.

Timing is a key part of comedy, but it seems Anet have no understanding of timing, nor tact.

A lot of their white knights here on the forums appear to have no understanding of empathy either.

Comedy is Tragedy and Timing. People using real life tragedy as a means of justifying their annoyance at their broken immersion is the truly despicable thing being expressed in these forums.

4/1/15 forum meltdown survivor

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

This is just a simple – and, for many of us – enjoyable April Fools Day joke. For posters on this forum to try and associate it in any way with the recent tragedy is insulting and inflammatory, at minimum.

It is really easy to draw lines between things that, in reality, have nothing to do with each other. For example, different races fight against each other every day in GW2 pvp, but I don’t think anyone sees that as a statement about, or allusion to, racial strife in the real world.

I think we are seeing a lot of these posts because people don’t like the joke (which is okay) but realize simply stating that wouldn’t have the same impact as trying to incite moral outrage (which is ridiculous in this case – its just a simple April Fool’s Day joke).

Having players stick their arms out to the side and giving the screen a 1950s aviation film feel isn’t a social statement or allusion to anything – it’s just a fun little joke (which will be gone later today anyway).

+1 Exactly.
————————————————————-

I am willing to bet that all the people here QQ’ing dont have a problem playing video games with cars in them, and yet people die in car accidents every few minutes. I am also willing to bet that the QQ’ers here watch television shows and movies where people get shot, and yet someone in the world gets shot and killed ever few seconds….and the examples could go on and on. You do realize that you are playing a video game that involves basically nothing else but simulated killing right??? …….and yet its a fun, benign April fool’s joke that suddenly turns everyone into a moral entrepreneur? …….absolutely unbelievable.

The most offensive thing here is the level of people’s hypocrisy.

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

Please fix. Ill be loging in to check if its has been removed.. wont be doing anyting other than checking… cant stand to play game like this.. bad move arena net for a joke this is more like a hack.. somthing lizard squad would do to make ppl not play.. you just hacked your self arena net are you stupid

If a one day prank bothers you that much. Wow you take this way to serious. It is a cute little prank. They do it every year. So have a laugh, enjoy the homage to old black and white Adventist shows of the 1950s. On April 2 it will be back to normal. Happy April Fools Day!

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Seriously people… facepalm Stuff like that happens all the time.. what should we now be offended that other people can still fly ? or what next… people get offended cos our characters can run and walk and some people in the world cannot due to not having legs or just unable to walk..
Im sorry for peoples lose.. that crash was a terrible thing and the families now have to deal with the outcome of it… But today AF is just light hearted fun… I don’t except to see you lot having a go at a kid who makes those noises and fly around and so i dont expect the same here,

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Kal Spiro.9745

As quite a few of the saner of us who are annoyed at this prank, 90% of the issues pertaining to it, could have been solved by making it a toggleable buff, that you can click on or off at will for entire day. Actually an even better prank i think, and my family agrees, would have been for your character to randomly go into airplane mode while you are running. If you enter combat it ends, but when you are running you would randomly do it!

That’s a cute idea, and certainly significantly more difficult to actually implement than just making it a thing that happens, period. Like bobbleheads last year.

Posted by: Thundergore.3418

Thundergore.3418

Doesn’t matter how fast a smile freezes, once frozen it’s still a forever smile.

Posted by: PirateSpice.8735

PirateSpice.8735

This forum is full childishness over the April Fools prank. Interestingly, the worst whiners are the ones bashing the people who don’t like the prank.

Even the dissenters that merely want an option to turn the prank effects off are being berated and insulted. Really? Are some people so desperate for conflict that they’ll attack someone over a perfectly reasonable request?

I’ve read the many threads (bring on the attacks over starting a new one), and there is certainly childish behavior on both side of the debate. But the most juvenile appear to be the ones saying, “Then don’t play” and “OMG it’s just a joke, get over it”.

If you don’t have a problem with the prank, great! Good for you. But why does that make so many people incapable of understanding that others do have a problem with it? Why is it hard to get behind the idea of a solution that makes everyone happy? Take a moment to actually think about that. A “disable” option would make -everyone- happy.

How is that a bad thing?

Posted by: Saraphina.6930

Saraphina.6930

Ok but next year….. what if they changed all the sound effects to Kazoos.

Like that video on youtube of Misty Mountain from the Hobbit but with kazoos.

And also an option to turn off the joke because people apparently get upset about a little fun and even though I don’t get the hate for the joke you should still be able to turn it off if you want.

Dante.1763

That’s a cute idea, and certainly significantly more difficult to actually implement than just making it a thing that happens, period. Like bobbleheads last year.

Exactly what we thought! it would have been more fun too! and way more funny! doing wvw with a zerg? suddenly half the people in the zerg spread their arms and go “NRroooooomm!!!” xD

Silvatar.5379

ikr! lol

People are fine with playing a video game that involves basically nothing else but simulated killing……and yet its a fun, benign April fool’s joke that suddenly turns everyone into a moral entrepreneur……absolutely unbelievable.

The most offensive thing is the level of people’s hypocrisy.

Posted by: Dissonant.9357

Dissonant.9357

Win. The OP is full of it.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

What was the official reason to remove the female human stretch animation? Broken immersion?

Okay brrrrrrmm

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Eight Samurai.6840

Win. The OP is full of it.

Yeah, I’m pretty cool I guess.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Did we need another thread? I mean you could have put this in any (or all) of the existing ones….

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Styxx.1564

Styxx.1564

It’s not like we have 200 similar threads with also similar arguments already.

We need MOAR!

Posted by: Destinee Faith.3547

Destinee Faith.3547

I guess I am in a serious minority when I say I spent hours just running around last night and giggling at the silly sound effects…

Sad that not many people know how to have fun or take a joke anymore =(

Hyavan.9027

lol! exactly! XD!!

Posted by: Roda.7468

Roda.7468

The only 2 weapons that wouldn’t be offensive are magical staffs and focuses because there are been no reported deaths due to these 2 weapons. Enjoy the game, the Anet teams are professionals at making April Fools fun and silly.

Quarterstaffs were a thing in fighting and you can bludgeon someone with anything.

Posted by: tim.1280

tim.1280

Whilst I completely agree with the op, I do not condone the amount of troll posts floating around today. If someone was genuinely upset by this, there is no need to take the kitten out of them.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

If you had empathy you wouldn’t be associating a joke about a bug from the beta to a plane crash that you will have forgotten about in 2 or 3 weeks.

Posted by: Lefein.5834

Lefein.5834

There are arguments for both sides, defending the company; condemning the insensitivity. I’m with the latter crowd. Fact is people are upset, for some it’s not funny. No joke is funny 24 hours after the fact. Some people recently dealt with several major airplane crashes worldwide. The fact is, they may have done this animation a few months ago. It was a choice to implement it. Personally I find the entire thing to be poor form. The joke is annoying, would have been ok for 20 minutes tops. 2 hours in I couldn’t deal with it and logged off. In addition people are upset by the insensitivity. All around doesn’t sound like it was worth the entertainment of the view for the ire of the many.

Rivercity7142: calling someone “kitten” makes you appear witty, edgy and unique.

Eight Samurai.6840

Quarterstaffs were a thing in fighting and you can bludgeon someone with anything.

No no I did not say melee staffs, those do not exist in this game. The only staffs that do are magical ones that you shoot magical things out with. As far as I know, no one has died from those to this date!

Dissonant.9357

Well, those are full of “waaah”. This is full of “get over it”. I actually like the prank, the sounds are amusing.

I like the people complaining about their characters being crucified. I guess back then it was en vogue to crucify people with their hands swept up like fake airplane wings.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

But if people stop complaining where would I get my entertaining forum drama?

Silvatar.5379

Hilarious April Fool’s joke. Amazing job guys! I would love it if the old film effect could be added as an optional control feature so that we could use it to take screenshots whenever we wanted. Would be sweet!!

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Well see here is your real talking point. How smart of you to use the April fools issue to to tap into the tragedy of real lives lost so you could reveal your issue with western country implied lack of compassion and understanding. I hope one day to be as smart as you

Having spent years working with human rights victims and political prisoners I find it offensive you wrap up your agenda in the death of others

It is not any sort of agenda at all. It is simply reality. People care way more about stuff that happens in the Western world than in the rest of the world.

It is also worth pointing out that I actually do live in the western world.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Here’s the thing:

I agree with OP. Getting mad about this is like getting mad at a kid playing cops and robbers because your family member was a cop that died in the line of duty or something. Its absurd.

That being said, we have to stay away from the whole “you kill people every day in this game” argument as well since, no we really don’t. Death in this game and others like it are not permanent and just by that one facet, it changes our perception of our actions in the game. It lessens the severity of it simply because we know it isn’t permanent. With no real consequence we are freed to act as sociopaths (right down to slaughtering waves of bunnies and armadillos, etc) since we know in 5 minutes they will be back. Even our own deaths are mitigated with a quick double click or another player coming along to grope us for a few seconds.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Dissonant.9357

The complainers were perfectly able to collapse all of their complaints into a single thread as well, instead of creating multiple ones just to whine.

Also, I find it funny that people are submitting bug tickets for this. All it does is screw up the response time for anyone with a legitimate issue.