I feel too powerful as a lvl 80 going into a low level area

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amen.2630

Amen.2630

Personally i feel way OP when i go with my full exotic lvl 80 main into low lvl area,
i can solo group event bosses >_>’

you should somehow decrease the stats more! even with extreme high gear, scale it down too and scale down the defense as well, maybe lock even some traits.

then the drops, you said we would get more drops scaled to our levels if we play in a low lvl area, i didnt noticed anything like that, we still get just crap

in my opinion you should remove levels at all, make it a free explorable non farming world as whole, if you dont make it properly

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I think it is fine as it is. Considering if you die in low level zones, you receive a larger repair bill and way point cost.

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

It’s fine as it is now.

If you feel the down scaling is not to your taste, buy the armor appropriate to the lvl you want to scale down to. Problem fixed.

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

Downscale seems to work strangely sometimes. In some places, you run around one-shotting things. And in other places, you get screwed over. I started to hate Bristband Wildlands, because I always had more trouble dealing with normal mobs there, than what I have soloing veterans in Orr. Bristband hated me…

Posted by: Sprinkles.6748

Sprinkles.6748

I agree, downscaling doesn’t seem too strict and low level zones become really easy even when your 10-20 levels above. I think it would be more fun if you were on a balanced plain throughout the game. So going back to low level zones and completing them wouldn’t be so boring as it could be fulfilling.

http://www.pwnzerfaust.com/ – Dragonbrand

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

then the drops, you said we would get more drops scaled to our levels if we play in a low lvl area, i didnt noticed anything like that, we still get just crap

What level area do you play in?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I think down leveling is a brilliant system but it is not strict enough
My suggestion: the higher your level compared to the zone the more you should scale down.
Starting at 3 lvls below zone lvl.
Drops appropriate for your actual level.
That way it will be both rewarding and challenging.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Icecat.4528

Icecat.4528

No.

Paying enough for repairs and travel costs as it is. Why would I want to kitten myself further in lowbie zones? The main reason to go there is to farm crafting mats that are priced way above value on TP. Its already a drag to waste time in these zones just to level crafting. Now you want to make it easier to be ganked? No thanks.

GW2 mods can fuck it up their cock sucking asses – Sieg heil you nazi fuckers

Posted by: Sprinkles.6748

Sprinkles.6748

No.

Paying enough for repairs and travel costs as it is. Why would I want to kitten myself further in lowbie zones? The main reason to go there is to farm crafting mats that are priced way above value on TP. Its already a drag to waste time in these zones just to level crafting. Now you want to make it easier to be ganked? No thanks.

That’s a very lame way to put it tbh. “I like it the way it is because I can walk in and do whatever I want without issues. Why would I want it to be any harder?!” The problem is, all of this content with lower level zones becomes useless, except for running through it to either mindlessly and easily 100% the zone or collect mats. I believe with what we have now, it could be changed so that lower level zones retain their usefulness and fun factor at higher levels. They are already on track by improving drops for lvl 80 players in 55+ zones.

http://www.pwnzerfaust.com/ – Dragonbrand

Posted by: Deathful Dante.1239

Deathful Dante.1239

I do think coming back to low-level areas feels too easy right now. And I do agree our gear should be weakened too not only our levels made lower. Also, drops that matches our actual level should be fun too, except for crafting materials (otherwise low lvl materials would become impossible to get and it would be too easy to get the higher ones)

But I also think this is a minor issue and ANet should leave every modifying and adding aside and really focus on fixing broken stuff. There are so many bugs that when they try to add or modify something the existing bugs get worse and new bugs are introduced.

Posted by: Memnoch.2589

Memnoch.2589

They do this and I quit plain and simple.

Posted by: Jairlyn.1429

Jairlyn.1429

I would like the downscaling to be harder but I can understand it would be difficult.
1: Exotics have 3 bonuses and will have a gem with 3 bonuses. Lower levels you are lucking to have an unslotted blue in each spot and that’s with less # of bonuses.

2: Skills: Elite skills and Tier 3 utility skills weren’t even an option at lower levels.

Jairlyn: Guardian- Yak’s Bend

Jairlyn.1429

The problem is, all of this content with lower level zones becomes useless, except for running through it to either mindlessly and easily 100% the zone or collect mats.

This is a big reason why the low level zones are so empty. ANets intent was to have lvl 80s go back and explore and play lower levels. If its not challenging and no reward then people arent going to do it and we get threads of “OMG this game is dead epic failure we need servers mergers”

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I think downscaling itself is ok like it is. If you want a bigger challenge you can easily have it by using lower gear.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I would like the downscaling to be harder but I can understand it would be difficult.
1: Exotics have 3 bonuses and will have a gem with 3 bonuses. Lower levels you are lucking to have an unslotted blue in each spot and that’s with less # of bonuses.

2: Skills: Elite skills and Tier 3 utility skills weren’t even an option at lower levels.

That was what I was referring to when I made the suggestion that we be leveled under zone lvl.
For an 80 in exotics it is so easy as to be ridiculous, hell, last night on my lvl40 ele I went to Queensdale to quickly get my last event for my dailies and it was embarrassing.
I felt bad- I don’t want to walk over everything and one shot mobs when level players are fighting for their lives. It makes me feel like a bully.
I love the world and I love to explore, I just want a challenge too.
meh some people like to be gods walking around in low levels

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Downscaling further is not a good idea unless:
A- they reduce WP and repair costs to the appropriate level
B- implement some sort of transmutation for mats like they did with jewels. I know there is a mystic forge recipe but I mean a little more realistic conversion of lower level mats much like the already implemented system they have for the jewels/stones.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: Blarrg.8305

Blarrg.8305

In reference to thread title, I disagree. Some fine tuning may be needed, but I find the current system satisfactory. I think that before any adjustment is made to down scaling, all profession bugs should be eliminated

\m/ \m/

Posted by: Alk Trio Fan.6357

Alk Trio Fan.6357

Nah, do what I do. Ditch the gear when you’re in a low level zone. Might as well go in naked as MF has no effect on material drops if that’s what you’re just farming! Plus, if anything goes wrong you don’t get a repair bill. Winning!

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

It’s fine as it is, I didn’t get to level 80 to die in a level 5 area.

Duh !

Just use rubbish gear and a rubbish weapon if you want to make it harder for yourself.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Cayafas.8290

Cayafas.8290

Um, guys, yes, this is a problem. Have you not noticed how empty low-level areas are? The entire idea was that we would not play exclusively in the highest-level areas.

Now if you had the option to – just riffing here – downscale a whole bunch of levels further, in exchange for a good magic find boost, or maybe just the chance for items that don’t drop in any other way – that’d make going to low-level areas interesting again from a reward perspective, and make it a challenging experience instead of a faceroll.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Um, guys, yes, this is a problem. Have you not noticed how empty low-level areas are? The entire idea was that we would not play exclusively in the highest-level areas.

Now if you had the option to – just riffing here – downscale a whole bunch of levels further, in exchange for a good magic find boost, or maybe just the chance for items that don’t drop in any other way – that’d make going to low-level areas interesting again from a reward perspective, and make it a challenging experience instead of a faceroll.

If you make the low level areas equally as difficult as the high level areas, but increase the chances of a good drop, then people will STILL stay in the higher level areas because they will still be better, better wood, plants and ore, better events, and still more players.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Jairlyn.1429

Downscaling further is not a good idea unless:
A- they reduce WP and repair costs to the appropriate level
B- implement some sort of transmutation for mats like they did with jewels. I know there is a mystic forge recipe but I mean a little more realistic conversion of lower level mats much like the already implemented system they have for the jewels/stones.

Yeah those WPs are so killer that one yellow item vendored pays for half a dozen uses.

TWMagimay.9057

Yeah those WPs are so killer that one yellow item vendored pays for half a dozen uses.

I don’t remember getting yellow items in Caledon Forest, do you? If gear gets downscaled, so should the repair costs. Otherwise people would have even less reason to go to those areas. Playing with the strength of a lvl 5 and the costs of a lvl 80 is not enticing or profitable or anything. If it is for you, lvl5 gear can be found on the TP, farmed, crafted. Knock yourself out, but don’t ask for it to be ruined for the rest.

Posted by: Gibbed.1572

Gibbed.1572

It would be a nice “Option” to allow people like the OP to select that they would like a more challenging down-leveling experience. This would make everyone happy. But please don’t think the OP represents how most people feel.

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

Yes, it’s joke. Unfortunately, it’s not a “ha ha” funny joke. More like a sad one.

Posted by: Renegadeslx.4703

Renegadeslx.4703

Yes, it’s joke. Unfortunately, it’s not a “ha ha” funny joke. More like a sad one.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Posted by: Mercucial.6759

Mercucial.6759

No. Take off your armor if you want more of a “challenge.”

Deathful Dante.1239

Saying “take off your armor” and “buy appropriate armor from TP” doesn’t help. The matter we are defending here is that there is no reason for one to go back to low-level areas, other than to complete explorer.

People not wanting it to be changed must agree that this IS an issue. That ANet DID intend low-level areas to be interesting to go back to. So this IS something that ANET probably wants to “fix”. So that it works as it was intended to in the first place.

As to how to fix we can only suggest ideas. The choice is theirs in the end anyway but I do think they have lots of much more important issues to solve right now.

TWMagimay.9057

Saying “take off your armor” and “buy appropriate armor from TP” doesn’t help. The matter we are defending here is that there is no reason for one to go back to low-level areas, other than to complete explorer.

People not wanting it to be changed must agree that this IS an issue. That ANet DID intend low-level areas to be interesting to go back to. So this IS something that ANET probably wants to “fix”. So that it works as it was intended to in the first place.

As to how to fix we can only suggest ideas. The choice is theirs in the end anyway but I do think they have lots of much more important issues to solve right now.

And how exactly would the idea in OP help with the issue? If anything, it’d make it worse. Adding incentives(better drops and stuff) is one thing, making the risk higher(and at the same time the price in gold higher) is very different and what people do not want to see happening.

Deathful Dante.1239

And how exactly would the idea in OP help with the issue? If anything, it’d make it worse. Adding incentives(better drops and stuff) is one thing, making the risk higher(and at the same time the price in gold higher) is very different and what people do not want to see happening.

LOL never said I liked the OP’s idea. I only agree that there is an issue.
IMO, and it is only my opinion, my suggestion and I leave it to ANet to consider and decide whether is it good or not; is to downscale armor and weapons too. And I also think that the gear we drop from chests and foes should be at our actual levels. Materials and trophies and salvage items I think must continue the same. My opinion is nothing but a theory but I think this way lower level areas could still be fun and rewarding.

While GW2 was being developed they said a high level toon would have fun going back. And a experienced player would have fun helping a newbie friend at starter areas. Clearly this is not happening.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

It’s not down-scaling enough in the spirit of what it’s trying to do. I’ve seen people not wanting to be around me when I do downscale, because it’s no fun for them, perhaps they aren’t getting any credit for my kills. People wanting to defend it as-is just want the easier way out, it saves some time for me, but that doesn’t really make it right.

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

Downscaling seems to be alright in the 15+. However in the 1-15 starter zones, I feel it doesnt scale down enough. For when I want to knock out my daily, I will run through a starter zone to get that knocked out since its much easier. SO in that aspec it is great. The only thing I have had to change up is when in an event, to only use auto-attacks if any at all since I hit so hard. I am asking other 80’s to please just get a couple of taps in for an event & move on, or stay & make sure it follows through for the lowbies that are there – Don’t make it harder for lowbies to get great exp.

Posted by: Rynarx.6124

Rynarx.6124

OP’s idea won’t work, people will always find an easy solution to all problems. if they make starter zone give better loot but harder difficulty, what will happen is people will grouped in a big zerg going around the starter zones in circles to farm them. Then the new players will never enjoy their starter zone experience as every event will have 20-40+ people simply wiped out everything on sight.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

It’s nice to be able to feel like a hero somewhere. The devs apparently thought that level 80 zones were for making hero’s run around like sissies. At least it’s nice to know that a hero can feel like a hero somewhere.

Posted by: Vortex.5146

Vortex.5146

Unless they change the crafting materials that drop, there’s no reason for me to take either of my 80s back to a low level zone. Right now, I need all the T6 mats I can get and I can’t get those from low level areas. Change the drops so that I can get what I need and I’d be more than happy to go back to help or do DEs or whatever. And I wouldn’t even care if I’m downleveled more.

In fact, I’d prefer it. I really, really hate Orr but the only other option is Frostgorge Sound and that gets old after a while.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Considering that you get decreased rewards (vs high level content) yet have full lvl 80 repair bills and travel costs, I have no issues feeling “OP” at times in low levels.

Horrorscope.7632

Unless they change the crafting materials that drop, there’s no reason for me to take either of my 80s back to a low level zone.

I think there is a fair % that go for 100% world completion. In that case you will be down-scaling quite a bit.

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

roll an alt, one that dies a lot at low levels and enjoy

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

TWMagimay.9057

LOL never said I liked the OP’s idea. I only agree that there is an issue.
IMO, and it is only my opinion, my suggestion and I leave it to ANet to consider and decide whether is it good or not; is to downscale armor and weapons too. And I also think that the gear we drop from chests and foes should be at our actual levels. Materials and trophies and salvage items I think must continue the same. My opinion is nothing but a theory but I think this way lower level areas could still be fun and rewarding.

While GW2 was being developed they said a high level toon would have fun going back. And a experienced player would have fun helping a newbie friend at starter areas. Clearly this is not happening.

Hmmm, in order of appearance:
1. Downgrade weapon/armour: I can work with that if, and only if, it also downgraded repair and teleport costs. Because why would I go there and have lvl 5-10-w/e gear while paying for lvl 80 exotic?
2. Drop gear at own level, salvages at other level: That’s a contradiction right there. Because the items you get from salvaging are tided to the level of the item, so if you are getting lvl 80 weapons, u can’t expect to salvage them into copper and green wood…

You know why that’s not happening? Because you get leveled down. I actually had my gaming partner refuse to help me level an alt because “the repairs aren’t worth it”(almost bit his head off when he said that). Did I mention, I happen to be engaged to said gaming partner? Yeah, my fiancĂ© refused to help me level, because he didn’t feel particularly useful there, he had nothing of value to get(and you can’t have lvl 10 mobs dropping T5/6 mats, obvious reasons) and he’d literally have to pay for it(because the 1-4s it costs to get to some zones as a lvl 80 would take good few hours to gain back from playing on the map itself, let alone if he died).

I, on the other hand, like hanging around low level zones, but that’s because I have this weird gathering fetish… What I would totally go for is…jumping puzzles. Make them like the one in…mount maelstrom?(where you have to finish an event to get inside). Then add some more chests with random spawns(like the gathering resources or the achievement chests with the bugger guys). Have those chests(from JPs and the random) drop the lvl 80 stuff, T5/6 mats so that the lvl 80s have a reason to be there without screwing with the low level gameplay itself. Oh, and we can have actual lvl 80 content in there(like, instead of a lvl 10 champ, put a lvl 80 one there)…seen similar stuff in other games, works pretty good.

Deathful Dante.1239

Hmmm, in order of appearance:
1. Downgrade weapon/armour: I can work with that if, and only if, it also downgraded repair and teleport costs. Because why would I go there and have lvl 5-10-w/e gear while paying for lvl 80 exotic?
2. Drop gear at own level, salvages at other level: That’s a contradiction right there. Because the items you get from salvaging are tided to the level of the item, so if you are getting lvl 80 weapons, u can’t expect to salvage them into copper and green wood…

You know why that’s not happening? Because you get leveled down. I actually had my gaming partner refuse to help me level an alt because “the repairs aren’t worth it”(almost bit his head off when he said that). Did I mention, I happen to be engaged to said gaming partner? Yeah, my fiancĂ© refused to help me level, because he didn’t feel particularly useful there, he had nothing of value to get(and you can’t have lvl 10 mobs dropping T5/6 mats, obvious reasons) and he’d literally have to pay for it(because the 1-4s it costs to get to some zones as a lvl 80 would take good few hours to gain back from playing on the map itself, let alone if he died).

I, on the other hand, like hanging around low level zones, but that’s because I have this weird gathering fetish… What I would totally go for is…jumping puzzles. Make them like the one in…mount maelstrom?(where you have to finish an event to get inside). Then add some more chests with random spawns(like the gathering resources or the achievement chests with the bugger guys). Have those chests(from JPs and the random) drop the lvl 80 stuff, T5/6 mats so that the lvl 80s have a reason to be there without screwing with the low level gameplay itself. Oh, and we can have actual lvl 80 content in there(like, instead of a lvl 10 champ, put a lvl 80 one there)…seen similar stuff in other games, works pretty good.

+1

Let’s all agree then, it is an issue, ANet just needs to figure out what to do about it.

I think in matters of challenge downgrading gear does solve it. Agree it must be cheaper on repairs and WPs costs.

But they do need to figure out the rewarding matter of it. Chests with good drops sounds good…. but alone is not enough I think.

Well, we just don’t like to see most of the areas empty. By WE I mean myself, whoever agrees and probably ANet too.

Posted by: scabies.3246

scabies.3246

Personally i feel way OP when i go with my full exotic lvl 80 main into low lvl area,
i can solo group event bosses >_>’

you should somehow decrease the stats more! even with extreme high gear, scale it down too and scale down the defense as well, maybe lock even some traits.

in my opinion you should remove levels at all, make it a free explorable non farming world as whole, if you dont make it properly

I tried to downscale to help my GF on her elementalist, with my thief. I was killing everything in 1-2 shots. I had to wait until she hit it once before I killed it, so that she would get credit for kills and could complete heart quests.

I ended up having to make a completely new character just so I wouldn’t kill everything before she had a chance to hit it.

Downscale sucks and is not downscaling characters enough. Those who have awesome level 80 gear are going to dominate in low level starter areas…

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Well bumping up the difficulty won’t interest people, they need to add more content there that is difficult but gives GOOD loot that you can only attain from that zone.

Posted by: MorceluLebeau.5109

MorceluLebeau.5109

Strange fact, when I play WoW. I tend to go back to low level zones to help people. farm some mats of lower level to sell on AH and I enjoy them as I know now that I put in effort and time I can destroy those which used to be able to destroy me.

Playing GW2 Go back to a lower level zone? HELL NO! All my gear/stats get down graded it feels as if I’ve done nothing in the game and it’s not even worth a thought to go back. I like to think I’ve progressed some what.

Posted by: Tulki.1458

Tulki.1458

I think it’s fine as it is. If you felt just as weak in downscaled areas as you do in areas at your core level, the game wouldn’t have much of a sense of power progression. If I go back to an area that’s 40 levels lower, I don’t want to go around one-shotting everything but at the same time I do want to feel quite a bit stronger there than I was 40 levels ago. Besides, you only get about half the rewards from events. It’s nice since you can kind of choose the difficulty you want when you play and get appropriate bonuses. If everything was the same difficulty it would be super lame.

… not to mention there’s nothing stopping you from stripping your armour off and going commando if you want a challenge.

(edited by Tulki.1458)

Horrorscope.7632

I think it’s fine as it is. If you felt just as weak in downscaled areas as you do in areas at your core level, the game wouldn’t have much of a sense of power progression.

But the reason for it was to go back and help others level if you like. Read some testimonials, you can be so strong it ruins the grouping. I can see being a little stronger then at level players, but if it’s a lot stronger then what is even the point? No scale can do “a lot stronger”.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

to downscale ever further you first need a reason to go back to those low level zones and there’s none.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Horrorscope.7632

to downscale ever further you first need a reason to go back to those low level zones and there’s none.

There are two:

100% map completion.
Play with an under leveled friend.

Posted by: Sir Morgan Malory.2069

Sir Morgan Malory.2069

I was rolling a good portion of group dynamic events the first time through with an underleveled warrior in blue gear and masterwork weapons. PvE is too easy anyways. Hopefully they bring back hard mode soon. Then it will be a challenge to go back and vanquish all those areas.

Posted by: greg.3792

greg.3792

Its a silly request.

If you want more of a challenge go naked. I am sure the new players would appreciate it.

Posted by: Loswaith.3829

Loswaith.3829

Keep in mind that comparitivly the level 1-15 zones are fairly easy, even with you are 1-15 (ie. You can tank most normal opponents, even as an elementalist) individually or in small groups (for some of the tougher classes). While the 15+ zones offer a decent step up in difficulity for characters in the 15-20 level range as well.

This is more noticeable at high levels most likely in that you now have head and sholder armour as well as amulets, even down-scalled you are likely doubling (or more, due to traits, rune sets and sigils) most stats a typical 1-15th level character will have as well (typically resulting in half the incomming damage and twice the outgoing of a character suited to the level).

Any major overhaul of the downgrading system also has the potential to make those areas too hard for those that are meant to be there as well.

All in all the 1-15 areas are meant to be fairly easy, though even just grabing a basic or magic or masterwork weapon (without sigils) of your actual level can likely make a difference to the damage output you do.