I haven’t played GW2 for nearly a year now.
I thoroughly enjoyed most of the game; I have a couple 80’s and some fairly high PvP-rank characters. Very close to world completion, high level crafting skills, etc.
I decided to see how the game has come in the past months and fired it up again; after a large amount of patching, a good bit of nostalgia, and a couple of hours, I found myself in a state of déjà vu; I got that same feeling of “there’s really nothing to do” again.
How could this be? Months of content and patches being added but still there’s seemingly nothing to do.
Well, it got me thinking. I really like the structure of the game; it’s got a ton of potential and the ANet team seems very proactive when it comes to their game. It’s just a matter of direction, if you ask me.
Here’s some of my concerns, take them for what they are; I’m sure many people agree as well as disagree and think I’m an idiot.
• The loot isn’t fun. There’s very little variation when it comes to items, besides aesthetics. While leveling up this isn’t too much of an issue, it kind of dulls the experience at max level. Sure, I don’t have full Ascended gear, but I’m also not very compelled to put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into getting them due to one, these items don’t really have a meaningful impact on gameplay, and two, there’s no gameplay that really merits them.
• Nobody really does dungeons; they skip them. If people are going out of their way to skip content, don’t you think there might be something wrong with the content? Most dungeons contain too much filler and lack real “loot” for your efforts; that doesn’t create a challenging, rewarding, nor immersing dungeon experience.
• Build diversity and overall balance could be much better. Nowadays, it seems like nobody likes you unless you’re full Berserker, using your classes “best” weapon. Doesn’t that seem a little strange to anyone? If balancing between PvE and PvP is difficult, why not just balance them separately?
• World events should be more… worldly. Off the top of my head, one of my favorite world events is when that huge Giant runs over that low-level Charr town in one of their zones. I like that event because there’s repercussions for not dealing with him; your town is pretty much useless. What good are world events that really don’t have any weight within the world around them? Would be pretty fun if towns getting attacked was more of a regular thing; it makes the world seem more dangerous.
Living story content is great and all, but shouldn’t the focus be on content that’s fun and repayable? I don’t know about you, but I’d much rather see:
? Added a new zone where players fight the native clans for control over rare, natural resources!
- Rare and bountiful resources that appear randomly throughout the map are guarded by powerful monsters!
- Monsters periodically assault player hubs; the attacks never stop!
? Some kitten with a giant robot spawned in the middle of the mountains somewhere; go kill it if you’re bored and looking for somthing to do.