I see why I stopped playing; Concerns

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Soap.6124

Soap.6124

I haven’t played GW2 for nearly a year now.

I thoroughly enjoyed most of the game; I have a couple 80’s and some fairly high PvP-rank characters. Very close to world completion, high level crafting skills, etc.

I decided to see how the game has come in the past months and fired it up again; after a large amount of patching, a good bit of nostalgia, and a couple of hours, I found myself in a state of déjà vu; I got that same feeling of “there’s really nothing to do” again.

How could this be? Months of content and patches being added but still there’s seemingly nothing to do.

Well, it got me thinking. I really like the structure of the game; it’s got a ton of potential and the ANet team seems very proactive when it comes to their game. It’s just a matter of direction, if you ask me.

Here’s some of my concerns, take them for what they are; I’m sure many people agree as well as disagree and think I’m an idiot.

• The loot isn’t fun. There’s very little variation when it comes to items, besides aesthetics. While leveling up this isn’t too much of an issue, it kind of dulls the experience at max level. Sure, I don’t have full Ascended gear, but I’m also not very compelled to put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into getting them due to one, these items don’t really have a meaningful impact on gameplay, and two, there’s no gameplay that really merits them.

• Nobody really does dungeons; they skip them. If people are going out of their way to skip content, don’t you think there might be something wrong with the content? Most dungeons contain too much filler and lack real “loot” for your efforts; that doesn’t create a challenging, rewarding, nor immersing dungeon experience.

• Build diversity and overall balance could be much better. Nowadays, it seems like nobody likes you unless you’re full Berserker, using your classes “best” weapon. Doesn’t that seem a little strange to anyone? If balancing between PvE and PvP is difficult, why not just balance them separately?

• World events should be more… worldly. Off the top of my head, one of my favorite world events is when that huge Giant runs over that low-level Charr town in one of their zones. I like that event because there’s repercussions for not dealing with him; your town is pretty much useless. What good are world events that really don’t have any weight within the world around them? Would be pretty fun if towns getting attacked was more of a regular thing; it makes the world seem more dangerous.

Living story content is great and all, but shouldn’t the focus be on content that’s fun and repayable? I don’t know about you, but I’d much rather see:

? Added a new zone where players fight the native clans for control over rare, natural resources!
- Rare and bountiful resources that appear randomly throughout the map are guarded by powerful monsters!
- Monsters periodically assault player hubs; the attacks never stop!

Than…

? Some kitten with a giant robot spawned in the middle of the mountains somewhere; go kill it if you’re bored and looking for somthing to do.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

How to put it…? Anet doesn’t believe in adding permanent content.

During all of the living story kitten we’ve had, they’ve said they’ve added stuff that’ll stick around… but just tiny titbits here and there – nothing of actual note. Oh, and they wrecked Lion’s Arch just because they could.

I love this game, but we need something new. And not new shinies being dangled in front of us – actual content that people will play because it’s fun to play.

Posted by: Elricht Kaltwind.8796

Elricht Kaltwind.8796

So what you’re saying is that if a game doesn’t have an arrow for you to follow and give you objectives on your screen you are incapable of having fun. I think the main audience of this game is somewhat like the main audience of sandbox games: people who can take a huge sprawling game world where things are always going on around them and can make their own fun with it.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

‘’that doesn’t create a challenging, rewarding, nor immersing dungeon experience.’’ There have never been immersing or challenging dungeons in any MMO since the creation of the genre. Whatever the beauty is or the difficulity, people will get used to it and it will be a run in the park 2 weeks later, and people will ask for more. Not to mention the fact that GW2 was harder and got nerfed thanks to the massive rage on these same forums, how the game punishes them for playing.

Yea, dungeons could need alot of work when it comes to rewards and maybe even create some kind of barriers [ for example a key to drop from one of those lower monsters to open a door to the next stage of the dungeon ] to prevent the skipping however, some work is needed to what these dungeons will offer at the end of the day.

Trust me, people never care about how enjoying the experience is, if the dungeons get harder and the rewards are the same, they will abandon them. If the rewards gets better then what should these be?

Well, time will tell.

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

TL, DR.

At any rate, sounds like you need a guild and some gaming buddies.
I do WvW with my guild and random fun stuff with my friends in between the living story installments. Keeps me interested.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Hmmm…

First it sounds like you havent tried it long enough.
Second (I don’t wanna be a meanie but) it sounds like this game just isn’t for you if I understand how you want the game to be.

Now to your points.
- The loot isn’t fun: Since this game is mostly centered on horizontal progress, loot will rarely be meaningfull and have a big impact on the game, it is more about player skills and not gear. I do agree that it doesn’t feel so interesting in always looting green and blues and always salvage it but moste other MMO’s are like that anyway.
- Nobody really does dungeons: Well, you can always use the LFG-tool and look for other players who don’t wanna rush or skip. Rewards for a dungeon is pretty good, it is good amount of gold and also tokens to collect Exotics.
- Build diversity: Also here, you can still play Cleric or whatever you want. Just look for your party in LFG-tool. But though I agree that Zerker is the best stats for PvE if everyone uses it but there is a small nerf for it comming and we will see what happens next.
- World events should be more: During this year maps will get the MegaServer and events will run on timer, so events wont get stuck anymore, there wont be a town full of corpses if no one ever comes and ressurect them and so on. Though they wont have an effect on other maps the event do effect that map you are playing at just as your example with the giant.
- Living Story: I am one of those players who support the Living World to the fullest. I love how the story is like a book or Tv-show that you have to wait two weeks to see the next part and also that the previous stories leaves a mark like something has happened here, this wasn’t here before. When the Tower of Madness appeared people started to speculate what was going to happen and after the Tower of madness we can still see that something has happened there. Let’s not forget about Lions Arch, the whole finnish of the first Living Story.
I wouldn’t mind in the future for new and old players to re-wiev the Living Story as a small Solo-instance version of the Living Stories.
——
- ? Added a new zone where players fight: hmmm okay… Well then.
- Rare and Bountiful resources: Well there are rich ores and they are not randomly placed (yet, but it is going to be) but they are guarded by mostly veteran monsters but sometimes even by champions.
- Monsters periodically assault: Have you been in bloodtide coast? Sure it’s not for any resources.
— Though I like this fight for control over resources but I dunno how that would work realy, I mean do all players get a few crafting mats for every minute we control a point or do we have infinite nodes and trees to harvest while we control the point? Or what kind of resources do you mean? —

The last meaning, what do you mean with that? Have you heard of world bosses? There are quite a few and here is a good website for tracking them. http://us.gw2stuff.com/

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Not to mention the fact that GW2 was harder and got nerfed thanks to the massive rage on these same forums, how the game punishes them for playing.

Ah how I miss the old fire shaman from BWEs. That monster could wipe zergs faster then revamped Teq could ever hope to.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

I thoroughly enjoyed most of the game; I have a couple 80’s and some fairly high PvP-rank characters. Very close to world completion, high level crafting skills, etc.

I decided to see how the game has come in the past months and fired it up again; after a large amount of patching, a good bit of nostalgia, and a couple of hours, I found myself in a state of déjà vu; I got that same feeling of “there’s really nothing to do” again.

How could this be? Months of content and patches being added but still there’s seemingly nothing to do.

Well, it got me thinking. I really like the structure of the game; it’s got a ton of potential and the ANet team seems very proactive when it comes to their game. It’s just a matter of direction, if you ask me.

Here’s some of my concerns, take them for what they are; I’m sure many people agree as well as disagree and think I’m an idiot.

• The loot isn’t fun. There’s very little variation when it comes to items, besides aesthetics. While leveling up this isn’t too much of an issue, it kind of dulls the experience at max level. Sure, I don’t have full Ascended gear, but I’m also not very compelled to put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into getting them due to one, these items don’t really have a meaningful impact on gameplay, and two, there’s no gameplay that really merits them.

• Nobody really does dungeons; they skip them. If people are going out of their way to skip content, don’t you think there might be something wrong with the content? Most dungeons contain too much filler and lack real “loot” for your efforts; that doesn’t create a challenging, rewarding, nor immersing dungeon experience.

• Build diversity and overall balance could be much better. Nowadays, it seems like nobody likes you unless you’re full Berserker, using your classes “best” weapon. Doesn’t that seem a little strange to anyone? If balancing between PvE and PvP is difficult, why not just balance them separately?

• World events should be more… worldly. Off the top of my head, one of my favorite world events is when that huge Giant runs over that low-level Charr town in one of their zones. I like that event because there’s repercussions for not dealing with him; your town is pretty much useless. What good are world events that really don’t have any weight within the world around them? Would be pretty fun if towns getting attacked was more of a regular thing; it makes the world seem more dangerous.

Living story content is great and all, but shouldn’t the focus be on content that’s fun and repayable? I don’t know about you, but I’d much rather see:

? Added a new zone where players fight the native clans for control over rare, natural resources!
- Rare and bountiful resources that appear randomly throughout the map are guarded by powerful monsters!

Than…

? Some kitten with a giant robot spawned in the middle of the mountains somewhere; go kill it if you’re bored and looking for somthing to do.

Here’s my own responses. Please do not take it as I’m trying to sway your beliefs, but you have control on some points you indicated…

• The loot isn’t fun.
-It’s subjective. I don’t find them “fun” too – but I find them adequate. I never-ever got a precursor since release, so yeah, it sucks for me. Also, the game is designed to have a horizontal progression (which honestly gets boring), meaning it’s all about the looks, not the stats.

• Nobody really does dungeons; they skip them.
-Press Y, go to LFG Beta, create your own group, indicate “No skipping”. Kick anyone who skips.

• Build diversity and overall balance could be much better.
-Press Y, go to LFG Beta, create your own group, indicate “anyone/any build welcome” and you’ll see that more people are NOT using zerk. Plus, this gets filled alot quicker.

• World events should be more… worldly.
-No comment, I only do them if the rewards interest me and if I need to do very little effort. I’m lazy, I know.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Point blank it is your own fault if you think there is nothing to do. You might not want to do what there is to do in game, but that is a different matter than “there’s nothing to do”.

Fun is subjective. What you find fun I may not. It is impossible to design anything that 100% of the player base will find fun and engaging. Take it or leave it.

Honestly, sounds like you just need not ever come back because no matter what they do you will find something to be unhappy about.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I think those are fair criticisms.
You state your points clearly and reasonably.

It’s not as though the game’s been stagnant, there’s been strong foundational changes. The megaserver system, restructuring and unifying rewards from dungeons/achievements/champions/sPvP, iterating the living story into a genuinely promising system of content distribution. That sort of stuff was seemingly higher priority than content revision.

I generally agree with that decision on a rational level, even if I find the PvE state of things obnoxious on an emotional one.

Polishing the infrastructure to a shine does kind of make the flaws in the content that hadn’t been iterated on since release stand out more starkly in comparison. Sort of the downside of iterative development plus horizontal progression, I guess?

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

the only “end game” of GW2 is WWW.

all the rest (fractals, soloing lupi, achievement hunting, legendary crafting, sPvP etc) are just fillers when you fed up with it.

this is the game by design for good and bad.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

I think if Anet made the game you want, OP, most of the people playing the game would leave. The very stuff you see as “stuff to do”, I see as a waste of time.

It’s not the the game is bad or good. The game isn’t for everyone. It works for a whole lot of people and doesn’t work for other people.

Pretty much like every other MMO in existence.

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

I think if Anet made the game you want, OP, most of the people playing the game would leave. The very stuff you see as “stuff to do”, I see as a waste of time.

It’s not the the game is bad or good. The game isn’t for everyone. It works for a whole lot of people and doesn’t work for other people.

You would stop playing if they fixed the PvE meta allowing for roles besides dps? If they made world events and bosses have a meaningful impact on the game word? If dungeons were fun and rewarding? If there was more armor skins to choose from that didn’t come from the gem store? If… give me a break

Everything in OP’s post are things that are really wrong with the game, and yet every post here is kissing anets kitten.

He didn’t ask for things like “oh I wish we had flying mounts” or “oh I wish we had open world PvP” or “oh I wish we could buy instant level 80 scrollls” etc…

nGumball.1283

You would stop playing if they fixed the PvE meta allowing for roles besides dps? If they made world events and bosses have a meaningful impact on the game word? If dungeons were fun and rewarding? If there was more armor skins to choose from that didn’t come from the gem store? If… give me a break

Everything in OP’s post are things that are really wrong with the game, and yet every post here is kissing anets kitten.

He didn’t ask for things like “oh I wish we had flying mounts” or “oh I wish we had open world PvP” or “oh I wish we could buy instant level 80 scrollls” etc…

The dps meta isn’t a flaw, it is how the game was and still is, what do you await in a game with no dedicated roles? World events and bosses changing the world? People always seem to go with such arguments without really explaining what impact, do you want a permenant impact that you should enjoy just becuse you and your five guildies killed a boss or perhaps temporary ones and if temp you will always get what we have atm because changing the world propaganda is a concept of understanding the world, not how things really are, humanity doesn’t have the technology to create that living world, people are hoping for. Dungeons never can be fun because that’s how it is, you run something for rewards and use it as a farm, you get used to it and whatever beauty it has becomes meaningless and you are running it everyday. When it comes to difficulity, again this won’t work because as I mentioned the dungeons were harder and every aspect of the game too, yet people complained and Anet nerfed, thank the community on this forum for that. Rewarding? well, I could agree they should change their reward system and add stuff people really want instead of pure money farm, I totally agree. Most armor skins come from in-game, in fact, most armors in the gemstore are garbage, I would want to see more there to support the game and at the end of the day, every decent old player of the game, can buy whatever they want from the gemstore by this point, an items costing 90 gold isn’t that much, meaning u can buy every new skin from the gemstore via release but still let Anet gain money from the people who buy.

Almost everything is subjective and while you are here to complain about those stuff, if they get changed tomorrow, there will be new people complaining about the new ones, that’s how communities work and a company can never, ever please everyone.

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I may be cuddling with anets cute little kittens :P But just as you are I am strongly supporting my opinion, this is not something I do becouse I wanna destroy the game I like, it is becouse I want to keep what I like in the game. Many of the points OP had is to make everything more rewarding wich will only lead to higher prices and more farming imo. The build Diversity point OP had is something I can agree with and if I am not mistaken I said something like that before. I do know (looking on Crit-damage change) that Anet is trying their best to fix this without ruining the game too much for zerker or anyone for that matter, but just look at the forums now with the Crit-damage change how much rage there is/was.

Some points OP has allready exist in the game and it just sounds like he/she hasn’t tried them or seen them. I also commented about his new zone where we could fight for resources but there is not much information about it so I would like to know more. I would want OP to make a new post about it and link it here, that way the Suggestion wont be lost in a ‘I will quit again post’.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Touché. I agree completely with you and OP (and others I might not have read).

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

People generally play games because they like them. I really don’t understand why it would be surprising for someone to prefer the current state of the game they play, to ideas rather more reminiscent of other MMOs, which they perhaps do not play.

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

People generally play games because they like them. I really don’t understand why it would be surprising for someone to prefer the current state of the game they play, to ideas rather more reminiscent of other MMOs, which they perhaps do not play.

People do play games the like, but that doesn’t stop them from playing imperfect games. Theres plenty wrong with GW2, but not enough to stop me from playing.

GW2 is far from perfect, maybe even far from good… the problem is in the sea of crap that is MMO’s right now, GW2 manages somehow to be the best. Which is disturbing because for almost a year and a half now the game has been uncontested, and they almost have nothing to show for it post launch. And now when a real competitor shows up all they can scrounge together is a cheap QoL patch on the same day as its release.

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

The dps meta isn’t a flaw, it is how the game was and still is, what do you await in a game with no dedicated roles?

Then why even have any gear in the game besides zerker? Isn’t it quite mean and confusing for new players to offer them a ton of different stat combos on armor, only to tell them afterwards “lol sorry, all of that is crap, the only right way to play this game is zerker”?

Dungeons never can be fun because that’s how it is, you run something for rewards and use it as a farm, you get used to it and whatever beauty it has becomes meaningless and you are running it everyday.

What a sad, and untrue statement. You can enjoy things you do daily. I’ve immensely enjoyed dungeoneering in certain other MMO’s. I’ve also somewhat enjoyed Ascalon Catacombs before they were changed.

The key to enjoyable dungeons, in my opinion, is:

Interesting mechanics that are tough if you don’t know how to do them, but become easy and fun when you do know them.

In almost all of GW2’s dungeons and boss fights, that isn’t the case. You receive a massive amount of damage either way. Whether you die or not has often little to do with skill, but with 1-shot mechanics and random damage going out. “Dodge as much as you can, on every fight, in the entire game” isn’t a fun mechanic. Dodging is fun, but not as a substitute for actual mechanics.

I personally don’t care too much about dungeons, if they’re no fun to me, I just don’t run them, and still have other things to do in the game. The lack of permanent added content is a major, major buzzkill though, and really not just for me. It makes people leave, and it actually discourages them from coming back to the game.

When the Tower of Madness appeared people started to speculate what was going to happen and after the Tower of madness we can still see that something has happened there. Let’s not forget about Lions Arch, the whole finnish of the first Living Story.

Well, guess how amazing it feels if you weren’t there for the Tower of Madness, and now you come back to the game and you just see that Kessex Hills is ugly and ruined now, there’s nothing you can do about it, and you also don’t know why it happened. Oh, and Lion’s Arch is ruined and ugly now too, but again, I wasn’t there to see it happening, so it’s just kind of depressing, making me feel left out.

There is NO incentive for players to return to the game. You think “Oh, I’ve been gone for a year, surely there is tons of new content for me to play now in GW2! New events, new zones, new dungeons, yay!” And then you return, but there is nothing new. So you think “well … I guess I can just leave again, then.”

And the really sad part about this is, it’s not like arena.net has been lazy. As a returning player, you’d think that arena.net has been doing nothing for an entire year, zero has been added … when in fact, lots of stuff has been added, but it’s all already been removed?! They build their game up, then tear it down.

nGumball.1283

The dps meta isn’t a flaw, it is how the game was and still is, what do you await in a game with no dedicated roles?

Then why even have any gear in the game besides zerker? Isn’t it quite mean and confusing for new players to offer them a ton of different stat combos on armor, only to tell them afterwards “lol sorry, all of that is crap, the only right way to play this game is zerker”?

Dungeons never can be fun because that’s how it is, you run something for rewards and use it as a farm, you get used to it and whatever beauty it has becomes meaningless and you are running it everyday.

What a sad, and untrue statement. You can enjoy things you do daily. I’ve immensely enjoyed dungeoneering in certain other MMO’s. I’ve also somewhat enjoyed Ascalon Catacombs before they were changed.

Interesting mechanics that are tough if you don’t know how to do them, but become easy and fun when you do know them.

In almost all of GW2’s dungeons and boss fights, that isn’t the case. You receive a massive amount of damage either way. Whether you die or not has often little to do with skill, but with 1-shot mechanics and random damage going out. “Dodge as much as you can, on every fight, in the entire game” isn’t a fun mechanic. Dodging is fun, but not as a substitute for actual mechanics.

I personally don’t care too much about dungeons, if they’re no fun to me, I just don’t run them, and still have other things to do in the game. The lack of permanent added content is a major, major buzzkill though, and really not just for me. It makes people leave, and it actually discourages them from coming back to the game.

When the Tower of Madness appeared people started to speculate what was going to happen and after the Tower of madness we can still see that something has happened there. Let’s not forget about Lions Arch, the whole finnish of the first Living Story.

Well, guess how amazing it feels if you weren’t there for the Tower of Madness, and now you come back to the game and you just see that Kessex Hills is ugly and ruined now, there’s nothing you can do about it, and you also don’t know why it happened. Oh, and Lion’s Arch is ruined and ugly now too, but again, I wasn’t there to see it happening, so it’s just kind of depressing, making me feel left out.

There is NO incentive for players to return to the game. You think “Oh, I’ve been gone for a year, surely there is tons of new content for me to play now in GW2! New events, new zones, new dungeons, yay!” And then you return, but there is nothing new. So you think “well … I guess I can just leave again, then.”

And the really sad part about this is, it’s not like arena.net has been lazy. As a returning player, you’d think that arena.net has been doing nothing for an entire year, zero has been added … when in fact, lots of stuff has been added, but it’s all already been removed?! They build their game up, then tear it down.

How many people actually play dungeons for fun like you though? I have been one of the people who ask other to enjoy the games instead of considering them as some kind of a job and none apparently listen.

Point is that people will always complain and the dungeons are simple and spammy thanks to player suggestions, they were more immersing and players raged and Anet nerfed. After such reactions, the company would simply not risk releasing any hard or challenging content.

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

How many people actually play dungeons for fun like you though? I have been one of the people who ask other to enjoy the games instead of considering them as some kind of a job and none apparently listen.

Ideally, every player would play the game because it’s fun. I’m sure when arena.net set out to create this game (and when they released the manifesto) they truly wanted players to play for fun.

It’s not like there’s any possible downside to the game being fun, though. There can still be rewards at the end that the “farmers” can “farm”, but they could also have fun in the process. Seems like a win/win.

Point is that people will always complain and the dungeons are simple and spammy thanks to player suggestions, they were more immersing and players raged and Anet nerfed. After such reactions, the company would simply not risk releasing any hard or challenging content.

It’s not really about difficulty level. Super difficult doesn’t equal fun, at all. Faceroll doesn’t equal fun either. There need to be interesting, engaging, rewarding, fun mechanics. I could give specific examples on how other games do this perfectly right but that would feel a bit crappy towards arena.net. I’m sure everyone has a bit of an idea what a good dungeon / boss mechanic might look like, and “hide in LOS and then zerg down” is not really it. (And certainly not if that’s every other boss fight in the game.)

EdgarMTanaka.7291

But that is just the charm of it too imo.
The story isn’t gone, you can always look it up and see what has happened, but players that has been present and participated in the events are rewarded and those who find the game boring and choose to not play once every to weeks does not get that reward. As I said, I hope there will be a way for old and new players to re-play the LS like small instance’s just for a recap. So as I said, the true charm is that the world lives on, time isn’t trapped, when things happen things happens and if you are not there you miss it. I like it like it is. It would have been worse if the event just stay for a few days but most of the time it’s there for two whole weeks so most players can participate.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Meaningful impact like what? This is an MMO. Some people want an ultra challenging experience. Some people just want to bang around and have fun. Challenging experiences should exist in game. But once you make the game about rewards, once you make the game about progression, that’s all the game becomes. I wouldn’t play that game.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Than…

nice post and feedback!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

That’s because we have living story updates that last for two weeks. If you leave and come back, you’ll see the same thing you did back then with maybe a few quality of life improvements. Its pretty sad.

Maguuma Guardian

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

I think they should have more events int he lower level areas where if you do not complete the invasion of enemies, they eventually make their way into the main city (I.e. Divinities Reach gets invaded by centaurs). This would be very cool because you would have to comets the events from the outside in, unlocking external camps and what not until you reach the city. There should be massive NPC armies that oppose you and what not.

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

Than…

Just wait like 8 more days. And also, hang around for a little while longer, because season 2 of living story will start soon, introducing new zones and all that

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

gw2 is an unfinished game and that is the driving force behind all their living story
if you worked at arena net would you Actually sit down everyday and collaborate on developing a rationally progressive world which expands and contracts in accordance with player activity and intriguing storyline?
exactly
this game is the ultimate experiment in exploit, un-balance, and fluff content

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

Sounds like you don’t like anything about GW2, really. I suggest finding a different game.

Posted by: Csele.1647

Csele.1647

atleast they stop doing living story, so i guess thats a better direction even if they are not adding any new content…

howerver beign realistic i expect this new patch apr15" to have no new content to “play”
then spend another half a year making more living story..

and then after a year.. another feature patch i expect

“crafteable legendary”
“houses”
new map to pvp …
a new dragon…
fractal boxes
new SAB colors"
“fix the merge kick”
and a few redundant skill changes again.. maybe 1 or two new healing signets

that is beign realistic.. and how anet has been working lately… as you can see none of those are anything new" or any new content and this is what im looking into a year or more! i dont expect anything more than that list unfortunately

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

The dungeons in this game are really terrible. Not really because of the dungeons themselves, but the community that plays them. Most dungeon groups have all cap titles that say something along the lines of “IF YOU AREN’T A GS WAR IN FULL ZERK KILL YOURSELF YOU PIECE OF S**T”. Dungeons would be better if they were playable by more than one build of one class. Also if every single boss strategy wasn’t stack in a pile butted up in a corner and burnt he boss, then sprint to the next boss and do the same thing. There should be mechanics on most bosses that make stacking extremely nonviable and unleash all trash mobs so they don’t stop chasing you so you could actually play the dungeons instead of basically skipping to the end in 2 minutes and getting a loot chest. The loot isn’t that interesting, you can get just as much kitten ing around eotm. Program the dungeons around the elitist loot hungry zerk noobs, then you’ll have a game.

Posted by: daemon.1387

daemon.1387

I agree with you on dungeons. ANet might as well make dungeons a series of boss events with no trash in between. The word “trash” itself indicate the importance of these mobs.

I’d rather have more mini-bosses than trash.

If not, at least incentivize the trash mobs. Make the dungeon reward bonus tokens/money/exp for each trash mob killed.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

I do agree with you on the whole OP, but point by point…

The loot isn’t fun. There’s very little variation when it comes to items, besides aesthetics. While leveling up this isn’t too much of an issue, it kind of dulls the experience at max level. Sure, I don’t have full Ascended gear, but I’m also not very compelled to put a ridiculous amount of time and effort into getting them due to one, these items don’t really have a meaningful impact on gameplay, and two, there’s no gameplay that really merits them.

Ascended isn’t that ridiculous. One month can get you full ascended everything for one character if you’re willing to optimise your activity rotation to get the dragonite necessary. Later characters get progressively easier once you already have the recipes unlocked/crafting levels at 500. However, seeing as how the game is already too easy in general, getting Ascended might make this even more so. Perhaps you want to stay in Exotic if that is the case.

Nobody really does dungeons; they skip them. If people are going out of their way to skip content, don’t you think there might be something wrong with the content? Most dungeons contain too much filler and lack real “loot” for your efforts; that doesn’t create a challenging, rewarding, nor immersing dungeon experience.

Some do, but they are the minority.

Build diversity and overall balance could be much better. Nowadays, it seems like nobody likes you unless you’re full Berserker, using your classes “best” weapon. Doesn’t that seem a little strange to anyone? If balancing between PvE and PvP is difficult, why not just balance them separately?

The vast majority of meta players don’t understand the mechanics behind ‘why’ berserker is often one of the best sets to wield, and in what circumstances this is not the case. In the exceptions, we get really bad players. The meta builders do, the meta followers don’t.

World events should be more… worldly. Off the top of my head, one of my favorite world events is when that huge Giant runs over that low-level Charr town in one of their zones. I like that event because there’s repercussions for not dealing with him; your town is pretty much useless. What good are world events that really don’t have any weight within the world around them? Would be pretty fun if towns getting attacked was more of a regular thing; it makes the world seem more dangerous.

Yes.

Added a new zone where players fight the native clans for control over rare, natural resources!

Southsun Cove. Passiflora and Passionfruit. The natives are Karka. And they’re pretty hard for open-world.

Rare and bountiful resources that appear randomly throughout the map are guarded by powerful monsters!

Temp rich mineral veins. There’s also perm rich mineral veins which are almost always guarded by veterans and occasionally champions as well.

Monsters periodically assault player hubs; the attacks never stop!

World vs World. There isn’t a monster AI that can yet match human tactics.

Posted by: Harvest.2506

Harvest.2506

TLDR Answer

You need to understand your own goals for what you want, whether its crafting ascended or Legendaries, it ditactes that path you can choose to get the components you need, OR

You Need to find a leader to follow or Lead people yourself. I’m very fortunate to have a server with both PVE and PVP commanders that are focused on goals and objectives people follow them in droves because they want the crafting mats that get farmed from doing world bosses or tower bosses in wvw. Its just so much more fun to play with a massive server team or guild.

Crafting is dirt cheap in this game (1-400) I use to hate crafting, but I always give it an honest shot. and you will be rewarded its actually kind of fun. You don’t HAVE to do it you could just sell your materials for money, but you’ll be missing out, on understanding what you’ve been rewarded with all this time.

Posted by: Xomic.5792

Xomic.5792

• The loot isn’t fun.
-It’s subjective. I don’t find them “fun” too – but I find them adequate. I never-ever got a precursor since release, so yeah, it sucks for me. Also, the game is designed to have a horizontal progression (which honestly gets boring), meaning it’s all about the looks, not the stats.

That’s how it’s claimed to be designed, in theory but in practice, this ‘horizontal progress’ in this game is rather terrible.

Most of the skins in game seem to come out of the mystic forge, rather than actual gameplay— or else they drop so rarely they’re very rarely seen. Nevermind the fact that most bosses don’t even have unique skins that they drop to begin with.

I mean, games like Rift manage to do vertical and horizontal item progression (not to mention ‘living world stuff’ and adding new content) just fine. Why can’t Anet?

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The problem as you said has to do with implementation more than quality of content.

- Content like SAB and ZSanctum shouldn’t be removed
- You should be able to replay all the chapters of the living story in instances, including the original southsun story
- You should be able to play sanctum races an Southsun survival with friends
- Election had no repercussions
- the game encourages stacking zergs instead of strategic play (boss and WvW)

- Ruins in the borderlands maps look nice but are boring to take (nobody even bothers) and the reward is pretty much useless
- EoTM mixes servers according to something as irrelevent as “color”, doesn’t count for PPT
- New skills are worse than the ones we already had and only had to be bought with skillpoints
- Patches that were supposed to balance classes created the opposite result
- Their answer to the tons of GvG mode requests was a round arena in a JP map that is boring for fights

The fractal updates at least brought some good content back, but the rewards are so random many people gave up on it.

Average loot has the same problem, when you NEVER want to equip the weapon or armor that you just found it seems clear that there is a problem with the loot system.

There is a serious lack of focus as these examples demonstrate, in comparison to what was the game originally.

The game could be improved so much with just:
1- The possibility of playing PvP maps in a GvG game mode with guild rankings (and some bigger maps added to the rotation)
2- a new WvW matchup system with faster PPT
3- New areas to explore in PvE and replayable LS content
4- Guild halls and new guild missions

Posted by: Juylyenne.4320

Juylyenne.4320

I think maybe your observations depend on what server you are on. I noticed certain servers are just full of active people and there is always something go on and others are quiet.

My largest concern is important information getting lost underneath all of the promotions. I could easily find what the Trading Post had on sale or what new patches would hold in the future but I didn’t see any warning about what was happening to the content right then, that day, until it was too late.

If they have time to sell me things, they have time to put important information on the launcher too.

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

atleast they stop doing living story, so i guess thats a better direction even if they are not adding any new content…

howerver beign realistic i expect this new patch apr15" to have no new content to “play”
then spend another half a year making more living story..

and then after a year.. another feature patch i expect

“crafteable legendary”
“houses”
new map to pvp …
a new dragon…
fractal boxes
new SAB colors"
“fix the merge kick”
and a few redundant skill changes again.. maybe 1 or two new healing signets

that is beign realistic.. and how anet has been working lately… as you can see none of those are anything new" or any new content and this is what im looking into a year or more! i dont expect anything more than that list unfortunately

If this is how you truly feel, then maybe you should consider that this game, as it is is Not for you. There are many players that enjoy the game as it is. Instead of trying to get the game to be what you want the game to be, wouldn’t it be a better use of your time and energy, to devote that to seeking a game that has exactly what you want?

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

TL, DR.

At any rate, sounds like you need a guild and some gaming buddies.
I do WvW with my guild and random fun stuff with my friends in between the living story installments. Keeps me interested.

Wow, you definitely didn’t read if THAT’S what you took from it.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

The loot isn’t fun. you’re absolutely right about that one it’s not even either. How can we take them seriously when they haven’t removed DR (which has been known for years by experience to kill economies and only affect the players adversely never the bots) or respond to the problem of uneven loot chances which is STILL being reported to this day.

Build diversity and overall balance could be much better. correct again. They need to buff condi, healing, and make CC immunity a resist by bosses rather than an immunity. Give pets a 90% immunity to AOE splash damage and this game would be a completely different experience.

World events should be more… worldly. True.

Living story content should be more permanent. absolutely.

Let me also destroy the myth perpetuated by people like EdwardMTanaka, the loot is neither equal nor evenly distributed hasn’t been since they messed with the drop rates in Nov 2012 and added DR. The progression in this title hasn’t been horizontal since the introduction of the gear treadmill from exotic to ascended (a gear that was meant to be for fractals only). Other titles would like to give you a call and let you know how well they are doing since they finally fixed their loot problems.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

People do play games the like, but that doesn’t stop them from playing imperfect games. Theres plenty wrong with GW2, but not enough to stop me from playing.

GW2 is far from perfect, maybe even far from good… the problem is in the sea of crap that is MMO’s right now, GW2 manages somehow to be the best. Which is disturbing because for almost a year and a half now the game has been uncontested, and they almost have nothing to show for it post launch. And now when a real competitor shows up all they can scrounge together is a cheap QoL patch on the same day as its release.

What’s good is subjective to each person, but statistically speaking they are not the best, and really the only thing they have to boast about is their “Fastest selling MMO” which is nothing more than the extreme hype that backed the release (I was definitely part of the hype train).

I would think this game needs something fresh, a few new areas to explore, a series of new skills, new armor sets (not gem store driven), or even a few new actual dungeons that didn’t stay for a month at the most. But maybe that’s what the fanbase here considers “typical” and thus likes the temporary content and gem store items.

My summary of my experience with GW2 is as follows:

1. Exciting, fun start with levels 1-20, but after becomes a repetitive cycle of hearts, and meta events that mirror the last zone. The story started strong but became stale.
  2. With no class roles, the grouping became “Highest DPS, stacking to ensure fast kills” and eventually became mindless.
  3. WvW started off fantastic, but was soon changed indefintely with the tactic of “Stack, buff, charge” and eventually became a repetitive motion to “zerg/blob” with no long term goals or rewards, and PPT having no effect without max coverage.
  4. PvP had great potential, but lack of game types and rewards soon felt like playing “Team Death Match” on a FPS over and over.
  5. World Bosses quickly lost any challege and/or value, either standing and spamming default skills, or requiring massive participation and coordination to complete, with miminal rewards if completed.
  6. Fractals was a great addition, but simply became wore out, and the “Beserker only” taking control of high level runs.
  7. Living story? I played the entirety of season one and never felt “attached” to any of the characters or progression of the story. Lack of moving cutscenes and lore connection created a poor immersion for me.
  8. Waypoints and “Central hub” really destroys any sense of exploration. The amount of waypoints in GW2 are so extensive questing became “Fast kill then move [Waypoint Here] for next boss.” If not that, I found myself not being able to do a quest chain do to lack of players.

In summary,

The game’s not terrible, but the overall course and direction has been meek to say the least and has not lived up the hype that was created.

I’m still curious to see how or what direction this game goes, but the amount of time and actual money I spent for bank tabs, inventory slots, material upgrades, did not equal out for me. I’ve no longer played since March and have no intention on returning. And before you ask, everything was already given away.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Exactly. I’m pretty sure this is the feeling that majority of those that left the game have. I haven’t been playing for a couple of months, but I do often return just to spend the remainder of my free time with mates that I’ve made in the game. Our guild had over 150 active people during the first months, now there’s 5-10 playing actively ( many of whom are new players ). Each and every one of those that left the game says exactly the same thing as you did, OP.
This game needs fresh, PERMANENT, content that adds PERMANENT fun. After all, it’s a game, it’s supposed to entertain people and not bore them.
Hope one day they realize that.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

With the megaserver system, you can wait for 5 seconds World Boss Events.

Posted by: Peow peow.2189

Peow peow.2189

they made the game amazing, but i just dont get why im not motivated to play.

I like the new wvw mists thing and I can see the pvp is a step in the right direction. However our guild is dwindling, and people only play for short period of time.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

I have never understood why some people feel the need to come on a game forum and explain the reasons why they have quit and/or gotten tired of a mmorpg. You said yourself that you enjoyed the game for awhile, but have now gotten tired of it.

Ok. Move on. There are plenty of other mmorpgs out there to chose from…..find another one that you enjoy. (And enjoy paying your monthly fee…:P) Seriously, you come back after a year away, still don’t like the game anymore, and you feel the need to post something about it? Why?

There are obviously tons of other players still playing and enjoying it(myself included….over a year now) that would disagree with your reasons for quitting. Some people like certain mmorpgs, others don’t, or get tired of it all after awhile……..so, find yourself another mmorpg that you’ll enjoy……..there really isn’t much use posting your ‘concerns’ about why you quit, yadda, yadda, yadda…….

Give Anet some feedback as to why you quit, move on, and find something else you get a kick out of playing. It’s JUST a game, after all.

Best of luck!

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Teon.5168

Exactly. I’m pretty sure this is the feeling that majority of those that left the game have. I haven’t been playing for a couple of months, but I do often return just to spend the remainder of my free time with mates that I’ve made in the game. Our guild had over 150 active people during the first months, now there’s 5-10 playing actively ( many of whom are new players ). Each and every one of those that left the game says exactly the same thing as you did, OP.
This game needs fresh, PERMANENT, content that adds PERMANENT fun. After all, it’s a game, it’s supposed to entertain people and not bore them.
Hope one day they realize that.

In the first place, how on earth are you pretty sure that the majority of people that have left the game feel the same way that you do about it? That’s a pretty silly, far reaching assumption, imo….lol.

And if they added this ‘permanent’ content that you speak of, some people would get tired of it eventually, just as you and others who have quit have found out. And then those people tired of that ‘permanent’ content would holler and ask for more, funner ‘permanent’ content. It’s a never ending cycle……when you get tired of a game, find something else that amuses you.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Posted by: GoddessOfTheWinds.2937

GoddessOfTheWinds.2937

Seriously, I just stopped playing GW2. Well, almost, I still do some daily things such as mining home instance, some crafting, maybe a daily or 1-2 dungeons run and I log out. Nothing’s fun anymore. As you said: uninspired content, no new permanent content, loot is crap, meta is bad (zerk all the way) and there’s only Legendaries to pursue as time waster (okay, Ascended are a bit of time waster too, but only because you need a godkitten 36 Damask for one light armor set).

I got back to GW1 and I enjoy it a lot more. I can hunt titles, collect weapons, armors, pets, minipets, etc. There are daily quests/events (Zaishen/bounty), vanquish, skill hunting, hard more, dungeons, instances (UW, FoW, etc.) and the loot is fun to get! I always get excited when I pick a rare mat or gold items!

Sorry but I might play a bit to try and finish WvW Season 2, but I no longer am addicted. Until they change a lot of stuff, I’m not going to drop another cent at this game.

Ways to make the game better:
- Rework the current rewards so that the loot is interesting, more unique to specific content and remove the daily rewards (DR). Monsters now drop loots from specific tables and has more chance to grant interesting loot (mats, exo, unique skins, etc.).
- Add collision (remove the ability to stack)
- Improve AI (no longer gets pulled to a little corner)
- Add more permanent content
- Reword current dungeons for Effort+Risk VS reward (maybe each dungeon has one short path, one medium path and one long path with different difficulties/rewards)
- Add interesting rewards to events (could be tied to X different events completed = Y reward). Also tie in some loot, chest or what/ever. Not only world bosses should drop loot. Make people go all over the world to get something done. Some suggestions were really good about this point.
- Increase build diversity (ability to customize skills 1-5 on each weapon with different preselected skills)
- Massive instanced content (raids with 10, or even 20+ people) to be done in guilds
- Guild Versus Guild (enough said)
- Reword the PvE to give PVT and other stats more use (no more one shots, but more interesting mechanics to bosses/mobs)
- Remove Defiant and add abilities to bosses to heal/stability/aegis/etc. just like any other player (see GW1, it was perfect).
- All activities can now be done with guildies/friends in an instanced map (more guild activities now possible with Sanctum Sprint, Sounthsun Survival, Keg Brawl, etc.)

And I probably forgot a lot more…

(edited by GoddessOfTheWinds.2937)

Teon.5168

Sorry but I might play a bit to try and finish WvW Season 2, but I no longer am addicted. Until they change a lot of stuff, I’m not going to drop another cent at this game.

How do you drop another cent on this game when there is no monthly fee?

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Well, you are experiencing the same as every other person too. The game had a great start. So many things to do, so many details. But since then literally nothing has changed. We got one new PvE map, which is as boring as any other PvE map. We got one new WvW map which isn’t that overwhelming aswell. Sure, some nice gameplay elements have been added but you’re just doing what you’ve done before in normal WvW. Everything someone could have enjoyed has become boring and grindy.
Why are you running dungeons for the 300th time? Because the content is that nice or because you want the reward at the end? I know, it’s a pathetic question but that’s how it is. GuildWars 2 had a good start and, exept for QoL changes, no updates.
And the balancing is still a mess.

Unfortunately you’ve missed the living story but that was also hardly more than an achievement grind.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

How do you drop another cent on this game when there is no monthly fee?

You can moan in the forums as long as you want. If you want to hit them really hard, you just stop buying gems. I think lots of people used to do that and I think lots of those people will step away from buying any more stuff if ANet doesn’t make the game more thrilling.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)