If GW2 went subscription?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kedarrian.2905

Kedarrian.2905

For all we might point out its floors flaws, GW2 is a very good game that does a lot of things right. But the current payment model comes with restrictions on how Anet can operate and what they have to prioritize.

If GW2 went subscription based, do you think it would grow or struggle?

(edited by Kedarrian.2905)

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

I would leave. The reason i played GW1 for 7 years was because it wasn’t a subscription and for all this games good things, i refuse to pay a sub.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There is only one successful theme park MMO with a sub. I don’t see that changing.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If it required a subscription to play? I think they would lose a lot of players and therefore a lot of income. The buy-to-play business model is a major selling point for many people. (Me included.)

They could possibly get away with an optional subscription like Elder Scrolls Online has now, but the trouble with that is it either has to be so minor it’s not really worth having (ESO currently IMO) or it’s basically pay-to-win or creating 2nd tier players where those who pay the sub have a big advantage over those who don’t. Which would also be hugely controversial and cause a lot of people to leave.

(Also I think you mean “pointing out it’s flaws”. Pointing out it’s floors would simply be pointing to the surfaces we walk on in-game.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

It’s a one way street. Sub games can go F2P, but it’d be death to try and do the reverse.

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

I think, over-all, it would be very negative if they introduced a subscription. Maybe if they started the game with a subfee it would work, but as spoilt as we are, I don’t think it would work now.

Personally, I’d leave. For one, I probably couldn’t afford it right now, and secondly, I’d probably leave on principle… subfees are not for me.

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

For all we might point out its floors, GW2 is a very good game that does a lot of things right. But the current payment model comes with restrictions on how Anet can operate and what they have to prioritize.

very unlikely it would improve in the slightest.
They already make as much money as many subscription based games. The earnings have been fairly consistent from quarter to quarter (its not a very spiky graph)
and even with their 250 staff, they apparently struggle with creating content at the pace of Square enix.

thinking of the opposing side, it could be possible that with a different monetary system, they would focus more content on making people want to play the game. But i think that they believe they are already doing that

Posted by: Genesis.4671

Genesis.4671

If GW2 started to require a subscription to play then I would stop playing it… I don’t like feeling like I NEED to play.

And that’s coming from someone that spends $100 a month on gems!

Posted by: Anzaman.1063

Anzaman.1063

I think it’s better for Guild Wars II to remain like it’s currently.

Tho, I try to support them by purchasing at least 10€ worth of gems each month. Be it exchanged to in-game gold or other purchases.

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

If it goes sub it would lose players and die if it started as sub it would be a different game probably not (as) theme park and would receive more/better updates. BDO went f2p it became p2w and lost sandbox values, sub has it’s advantages.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

They already have the gem store set up as their main source of continual income.

The ONLY way I think people would ever accept a sub fee is if they removed the micro-transactions and allowed the content that was normally acquirable by real money purchases to be available for in-game accomplishments. I imagine this would require quite a bit of restructuring on their part.

If they maintained the micro-transactions in addition to a sub fee, I feel it would really turn people off as they’re essentially “double-dipping” at that point. There’s perhaps a portion of the population that wouldn’t mind, but other would hate having to pay for the privilege to simply play the game, and then more to get certain things via micro-transactions (i.e. skins).

Also, I don’t have any data, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s actually more profitable for them to operate the micro-transactions rather than a sub fee. There’s the concept of “whales”, where a smaller portion of individuals who spend a large amount of money on micro-transactions effectively surpass the amount of money they would end up making by charging everyone a sub fee.

Personally, I’ve always liked the current business model better than a classic sub fee model because I feel like they’re already giving me the privilege to play the game. Then, I can spend money to get more things, even if it’s just skins or little toys or such. The sub fee model restricts the privilege to play the game unless I’m willing to fork over some money, which always makes me feel like I’m only valued because I’ve given them money up front.

Like the earlier poster said, it’s pretty much a one way street. Trying to convert from no sub fee to sub fee in an MMO is tantamount to suicide.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

If Anet simply would want to maximise their incomings, they would just have to increase their sale portfolio to become alot broader, than just being that ingame gemstore as the only source of money income mainly from peopel who buy gems, which are a minority compared to the people, which don’t do that.

ANet needs to stat making up a profitable Merchandising Store on their Website also too, where you can buy just things out of their own productions of various cool items and nice decoration stuff that alot of people would love to buy if they just coud do that somewhere.

A sponsored Merchandising Website Store, where people can buy also such special things like gaming Mourses, Gamign Pads, Head Phones ect. in a special GW2 Design.

other typical wanted merchandising articles coudl be sold there then too under their own catagory. Stuff like:

GW2 T-Shirts
GW2 Sweatshirts/Hoodies
GW2 Caps

people will always buy such stuff.
Then there could be the Soundtrack of GW2 on sale, the Artbooks, the various kinds of Plushies from Rytlock over Zojja ect. pp.
They could sell various kinds of awesome Figurines that normally would be found only in collectors editions, but people love to buy these kind of figurines also just simply so.
Im pretty sure there are alot of die hard GW2 fans out there, that would buy from such a website merchandisign store some kind of Tequatl/Shatterer/Claw of Jormag Figurine in a heartbeat, if Anet would sell somethign like that.

if they could find companies, that could profitabliy mass produce such stuff for Anet and therefore maybe also sponsor the website and the game therefore that anet makes also a bit advertising for those producers automatically by selling those products of those producers just under special GW2 design could help Anet alot to make more incomings from more sources, than just only from people buying gems and the main game/ HoT later.

Then again, expansions are another greeat way for income boosts, especialyl if Anet would brign them frequently, like every 2 years an expansion, perhaps even yearly.
Heck, just look at Ubisoft, they bring out yearly one Assassins Creed out after another which basically are always nothign else than expansions to the original games main story, but gameplay wise its nearly everytime nearly the same and people keep on buying these games frequently more than good enough, that US makes always as it looks enough profit from that to keep on making on that tour consistantly new AC games..once the dice rolls, it rolls, if you keep on bringign out quickly enough additions to the original game, especially if they are qualitative very good and try also to improve itself over the time from game to game also too each time.

Another incoming model could be, that they make a Subscription fee, but make it an OPTIONAL ONE, something that you don’t need to have, but works liek some kind of “Premium account Upgrade” , that if you decide to give ANet on a more monthly basis cositantly money, that you get rewarded for that decision with some kind of positive effects for your Account, exactly so how it works for the chinese players.
They can either play the game exactly like we can, or they can choose to make their accounts premium accoutns with an optional subscription fee and get due to that decision some little benefits on their accoutn,s like a permanent gem discount for items in the gem store, free To Friend Waypointing and so on, so all such kind of stuff, that gives a player no advantage over others so that no one can say, with premium account it becomes Pay2Win, you just get visual fluff and thigns, that affect the player in a non competitive way.

But its a matter of mentality, alot of people dislike these kinds of optional subscriotion fees out of fear of P2W finding its ways into the game.
I personally think the option shoudl be there.
It should be everyons free own choice to decide over it, if you want to play GW2 wihout or with an optional subscription fee.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Craywulf.5793

Craywulf.5793

This topic has been dead for 2 years. It’s not really all that fascinating to discuss considering that it’s moot and has been since the dawn of ArenaNet. The first Guild Wars was Buy to play, and I would expect any game in the future that ArenaNet develops to remain buy to play. That’s their market and they have proven to be good at it.

There’s absolutely no reason to change now.

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

If they suddenly decided you need a subscription to play gw2 I would quit and never look back. That day.

If they started with a subscription that is one thing, but 2+ years in randomly starting one would probably make a large amount of people leave. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Tskales.2804

Tskales.2804

They’d need to give out millions of refunds, as we never purchased a subscription MMO.

If we wanted to pay a fixed monthly rate for a game that we can only play for a few hours a day(assuming we’re not too busy or tired from working) then we would’ve subscribed to WoW.

If profit is an issue, then they should add more meaningful things to the gem store like animations, as opposed to trash like miniatures and wings that don’t work.

“I’m sure glad that A-net is spending the 20 minutes or so that it would take to remove
the hobosack on making more important additions to the game.
Like golden pigs for the gem store” – Gern.2978

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

There is only one successful theme park MMO with a sub. I don’t see that changing.

WoW, FF14 and SWTOR are all successful. Runescape is also very successful, although some would say it’s a sandbox, I don’t know which it is.

It just so happens that 3/4 of the top 5 most popular mmorpgs have a subscription.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

It just so happens that 3/4 of the top 5 most popular mmorpgs have a subscription.

SWTOR is F2P…

If GW2 went sub, I’d be gone.

Fernling.1729

SWTOR is F2P…

Read what I quoted.
“There is only one successful theme park MMO with a sub. I don’t see that changing.”

SWTOR has a sub. It does also have a limited F2P option, but it does have a sub.

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

They’d need to give out millions of refunds, as we never purchased a subscription MMO.

They wouldn’t have to give any refunds, you gave them permission to start charging in the future when you agreed to the User Agreement.

Unlike GW1, the GW2 box did not guarantee that there would not be a subscription fee in the future. They actually reserved the rights to start charging one in the User Agreement, which everyone agreed to (even though most didn’t bother to read it).

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/
-Section 4.b

Not that I think they would switch to a pure subscription model, they’d lose too many players for it to make any sense. I suspect that they’d be more likely to do a system like ESO, which is basically just the china VIP system that horrified so many NA/EU people when it came out, thinking we’d get it too.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’d be more than willing to sub to GW2, however I’ve never had a good experience with optional-sub games, the gap between subscribers and non-subscribers is always massive

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

If they suddenly decided you need a subscription to play gw2 I would quit and never look back. That day.

Yep, and I’d be right behind you.

I’d probably go back to Guild Wars 1, unless that went subscription based as well, then I’d drop the entire franchise.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Malisane.9461

Malisane.9461

The European version of the User Agreement has different wording in section 4.b

Gotta love those consumer rights laws in the EU

“If an Account and/or the Service was provided without the requirement of the payment of a recurring fee upon Your acceptance of this agreement and NCSOFT in its discretion decides that access to such Account and/or Service will be subject to a required recurring fee, you may claim a refund under Section 3(d) for the Software.”

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

“If an Account and/or the Service was provided without the requirement of the payment of a recurring fee upon Your acceptance of this agreement and NCSOFT in its discretion decides that access to such Account and/or Service will be subject to a required recurring fee, you may claim a refund under Section 3(d) for the Software.”

That’s pretty cool. I’m assuming this is different because the US version does not have a similar clause?

I should check if the Aussie one has this clause.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Uninstall and never look back. I wouldn’t ask for a refund, though. I’ve gotten my money’s worth.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

It would die. Buy-to-play is the cornerstone of Guild Wars. As much as I love this game, the content produced is not worth a subscription.

people will always buy such stuff.

It’s a shame that international shipping costs three times more than the already inflated prices of such merchandise, as it really turns away a lot of non-American business. Saying that, we had that kind of store around launch… the stuff’s still about, just no more of it was made and the prints and such were excessively overpriced. I guess it didn’t attract too much business. (Would love to have a Caithe wall scroll and some sylvari themed stuff… would literally have a sylvari room. Don’t judge me!)

(edited by Chameleon Dude.1564)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

If GW2 went sub, I’d leave.

And I wouldn’t log in until they went back to no sub fee.

I don’t like feeling forced to play and I would feel forced to play if there was a subscription fee.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Simple, I would stop playing. It’s the lack of a monthly fee combined with the lack of pay walls that are why I play here than some F2P annoyance.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

For all we might point out its floors, GW2 is a very good game that does a lot of things right. But the current payment model comes with restrictions on how Anet can operate and what they have to prioritize.

What restrictions? What operation? Where is the prioritize? What do current pay model have to do with any of these? What do current pay model have to do with making the game fun? what do current pay model have to do with making the game challenge?

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them

If Arena net can not solve our problems with the same current payment model they used when created them, how will subscription payment model make any difference? Nothing!

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

But this is hypothetical because it won’t happen

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Same as everyone here. I got burned by bad P2P experiences and honestly I wouldn’t want to pick one up again. Too much money invested in it for no good reason.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

SWTOR is F2P…

Read what I quoted.
“There is only one successful theme park MMO with a sub. I don’t see that changing.”

SWTOR has a sub. It does also have a limited F2P option, but it does have a sub.

Nearly all western MMO that went F2P still have an optional subscription model,
however there is only one left that has no F2P option at all.
And no .. playing from 1-20 for free is not F2P.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It would fail quickly. No-subscription is an important attraction for GW2, especially for players who are already subscribed to other MMOs.

Further, it would be horribly expensive. Tons of things would need to change in the game beforehand. So instead of removing restrictions, it would add a whole lot of new ones, at least in the beginning. This would have to happen without any type of assurance that the game would be more profitable in the long run.

Ultimately, it might actually be cheaper for ANet to launch a new game using the same engine.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Fernling.1729

SWTOR is F2P…

Read what I quoted.

Not sure what this has to do with what I was saying. I was responding to a single post where someone was claiming that only a single mmorpg with a sub is currently successful, which is false, I listed several.

Why do you pretend that FF14 doesn’t exist? FF14 not only exists, but it just so happens to be arguably the 2nd most successful mmorpg on the market.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Not sure what this has to do with what I was saying. I was responding to a single post where someone was claiming that only a single mmorpg with a sub is currently successful, which is false.

Why do you pretend that FF14 doesn’t exist? FF14 not only exists, but it just so happens to be arguably the 2nd most successful mmorpg on the market.

wondering what kind of player base it would have if it was B2P though. I was very tempted to pick it up, however I would be playing too casually to justify the sub, especially having in mind that mostly I would just want to level up and see what their world is about. My friends said to still go for it, as I would get 30 free days, but then I would feel pressured to play it till full before the days are up. And even if I would love it and play it enough to justify the sub, there would be that thought in the back of my head that maybe I’m not playing it enough.

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

SWTOR is F2P…

Read what I quoted.

Not sure what this has to do with what I was saying. I was responding to a single post where someone was claiming that only a single mmorpg with a sub is currently successful, which is false, I listed several.

You are correct!

(It is obvious why: No Instant Kill, No Have Everything WIth No Risk, No Reward First, No Skill Not Required, No Too Much Everything, No Perma-Stealth, No Reset Anytime, No Ignore Player Problem for 3year+. This game is joke to challenge and fun).

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Quick someone tell Nigel!! He’d love that xD

Posted by: Kantos.1730

Kantos.1730

First of all, you stated a myth that subscriptions equal more money for the developer and thus better content for the players. This is not true. While lack of money may doom a game. Additional revenue is simply passed on to the owners of the game not put into further development. The development budget is already set. For example; World of Warcraft makes Big Zillions of cash for Blizzard and I don’t think that ‘extra’ cash is put back in WoW development. It is profit, to be used as Blizzard sees fit. Maybe put in a failed (Titan) future MMO?

Second, if GW2 went with a subscription ‘option’ I would quit. I view most subscription games as extortion rackets. They are a bad value for customers. Forcing customers to fork over $150.00+ every year for access to a game they already spent $60.00 for is just a scam.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

SWTOR is F2P…

Read what I quoted.

You said SWTOR .. and SWTOR has just a hybrid model very much like RIFT, EQ2,
LotRO, Tera, Champions Online and most other western MMOs.

For FF14 .. don’t know .. for me that is somehow more an asian MMO and i never
really heared much of it here outside of this forum. We could also talk then maybe
about Lineage and Aion ..

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

I’d quit and I know several of my friends will as well. They would have to make some insanely major changes if they wanted to attract more people to cover the players they would lose

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Instantly leaving it!
I don’t support subscription games, why?
Gaming is joy, not a job…
Was playing GW1 since beta, was playing GW2 since beta, the moment GW2 goes sub mode, I’m out.

Would it grow or struggle?
Struggle, wow fans would go back to wow, and GW1 fans would probably leave, GW2 is not having good pvp and pve model to make people connected with game enough to effort subscription.

And as much as i know, anet woudln’t get different share if GW2 would went sub mode. So this topic is irrelevant.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

(edited by Firelysm.4967)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I don’t really like thinking about extremely horrible things that will never happen. I just prefer to continue believing something that tragic won’t. For instance; a 2nd holocaust for example.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

I would leave and I believe a huge portion of the population would as well.
A subscription model is not the current standard and not many games can maintain one anymore, as is evidenced by the games that have been trying to, but going to a free-to-play model within a year, or less. If big names like Star Wars and Elder Scrolls can’t do it, and the juggernaut WoW showing dropping numbers , there’s not much hope for Guild Wars to do it either.

Posted by: Cash.2385

Cash.2385

F-A-I-L

@@
(
_

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

If GW2 went sub I would not sub

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Not one of these again… Just stop trying to ruin things, please.

IndigoSundown.5419

WoW, FF14 and SWTOR are all successful. Runescape is also very successful, although some would say it’s a sandbox, I don’t know which it is.

ToR is freemium, FF14 has not passed the test of time. Runescape, sandpark?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

(Also I think you mean “pointing out it’s flaws”. Pointing out it’s floors would simply be pointing to the surfaces we walk on in-game.)

Aieee! You correct one thing and wreck another! “Pointing out its flaws” would be correct. “It’s flaws” isn’t correct, unless you further change it to “pointing out it’s flawed,” as “it’s” = “it is,” not a possessive.

I can’t say I’d leave the game. I have never had an issue paying subs even on games I’ve been away from for months, ah the joys of a good income, so sub/no-sub has never been a deciding factor in my MMO choices. But I’m sure enough people would leave — and demand refunds — that adding a sub would be financial suicide for GW2.

And when all my friends were gone, well. Yeah. Then I’d leave.

Fernling.1729

Maybe you should have specified all the conditions in your original post. You started off with themepark mmos with a sub.
FF14 is going on two years at this point with major success the entire time. You literally said “There is only one successful theme park MMO with a sub”. Sorry, SWTOR has a sub. If you want to shift the goal posts that’s okay too.

IndigoSundown.5419

Maybe you should have specified all the conditions in your original post. You started off with themepark mmos with a sub.
FF14 is going on two years at this point with major success the entire time. You literally said “There is only one successful theme park MMO with a sub”. Sorry, SWTOR has a sub. If you want to shift the goal posts that’s okay too.

Honestly, I had forgotten FFXiV. It was easy to do. Apologies for that, though I still think that it is in for a rude awakening once the development content not finished by launch has run out.

As to ToR, it went F2P freemium. So did STO, CO, and AOC, among others. You want to count them, too? There’s one game that is used as the benchmark for theme park success. FF14 has not come close, nor has STO. Still, to clarify, if GW2 were to go sub instead of B2P, they would not come close to even the qualified “success” of the freemium games.

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

Id be all for it. Once youre more than like, 16 years old, you realize that $15 a month for something you can easily play for 20+ hours a week is nothing compared to other things you can spend your money on.

But since like, half the playerbase is 16 (or acts like they are), it wouldnt work, so i dont think it will ever happen.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele