In my opinion GW2 is turning into a C rated platformer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I don’t know your opinion, but it seems that GW2 turns into a platform game with the lately content. That wouldn’t be a problem, but I am sorry to say, GW2 platform jumping is one of the crappiest if not the ultimate crap regarding jumping platformers on the game market today or in recent gaming history.

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

The engine definitely isn’t designed for platforming… Don’t know if I would call it crap though.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

So… Ronah… you and gravity have met I see.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

The engine and camera keep JPs from being a sensible experience.

Ronah.2869

They really need to look up games like Price of Persia, Assassin Creed, Ratchet and Clank, Tomb Rider and learn from them. Only in the ’80s you were seeing your character jumping like a dummy in its feet, all the rest use some grabbing to avoid near the edge jumping fails

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Who exactly rated it C?

Ronah.2869

Who exactly rated it C?

it is my personal rating.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

The main reason I hate, loathe and despise all JP in GW2 is the crappy camera.
What’s that? You want to look where you’re going before you jump? NO, sorry that rock overhead MUST be zoomed in 100%!
What’s that? You want to be a Norn male and do JP?…hahahahah try again

That is why I don’t do 1/5 of the content that is GW2…JP!!!!

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I’m not too fond of jump wars myself, especially the ones that kill you for screwing up. What is this? 1987?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I think the guy behind the JP’s, forget his name at the moment, has done some amazing stuff with JP’s (and the SAB) in the game. He wakitten with a change in camera implementation at launch that made some JP’s less than ideal for some jumpers. I, myself, do not like platformers that much. But, I think we’re seeing it spotlighted because a lot of people do enjoy them.

Hopefully, they will find their place in this game, there to be enjoyed by those who enjoy them, but not center-stage as the genre is really not about platforming. I do respect the quality of the work done with the JP’s and think they are a great addition to the game.

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

Imo it would be 100x better with a transparency slider so you could see through cliffs/low ceilings/trees/ect. and if with this added the camera would never auto zoom when moved.

Ofc this is coming from someone who’s main is a max height Norn, its like they test everything with Asurans lol.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

>two Jumping Puzzles have been released in a row
>GW2 turned into a platformer

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Ronah.2869

>two Jumping Puzzles have been released in a row
>GW2 turned into a platformer

Most of content in the Bazaar of Winds is based on JPs: goggle dive achievement, sky crystals achievements, Kite Achievements plus the Sky Prites JP and the dungeon based on jumping of boxes in the laser room from the previous living story.

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

I’m not so sure about all the superlative crappy, but it’s definitely like watching Michael Jordan doing some ice skating.

To me it’s not so bad when it’s only simple jumping puzzles, mixed with actual content, like open world Jps, jumping pads in PvP or dungeons. That fine. It starts to suck when the GAME starts becoming this. A whole update devoted to jumping and jumping skills. and.. what slow pace “racing”? Seriously?

They should just stop forcing the boundaries of the game and make an MMO.

Another concern:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Too-much-focus-on-Mini-games/first#post2386363

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

dungeon based on jumping of boxes in the laser room from the previous living story.

Really ? You consider jumping on a box to be sort of JP ?

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

I’m not so sure about all the superlative crappy, but it’s definitely like watching Michael Jordan doing some ice skating.

To me it’s not so bad when it’s only simple jumping puzzles, mixed with actual content, like open world Jps, jumping pads in PvP or dungeons. That fine. It starts to suck when the GAME starts becoming this. A whole update devoted to jumping and jumping skills. and.. what slow pace “racing”? Seriously?

They should just stop forcing the boundaries of the game and make an MMO.

Another concern:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Too-much-focus-on-Mini-games/first#post2386363

I’m more concerned that they had to give players an entirely new and specific skillset to enjoy the new content. I think this speaks volumes of the inflexibility of the combat system in regards to PvE design, and how well combat design meshes with terrain design.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Except for #3 skill glitches when there is lag, it was much easier to jump with the aspects than normally by itself. I found that to reach a sky crystal there are more than one way to approach it. Once I found the right path, the jump was usually safe and easier than it may have looked. I like the beauty of think-outside-the-box this puzzle offers.

You can also cheat death by wp quickly during falling. It can save you the hassle.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Troll’s End is the best example of what is wrong with jump puzzles in GW2. Not only is it best run as an Asura or with a potion, there are spots where you wind up standing on/jumping off of empty air in order to progress.
Someone at Anet seems to have the demented concept that these problems can be repackaged as “challenging” and that makes everything ok.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

85% of a JP doesn’t give me an issue, but the last 15% (which coincidentally seem to be the hardest jumps) are 50x harder because you have to leap of faith it through terrible camera angles. Nothing makes me more sadfaced than missing what would have been an easy jump because the camera zoomed in on a rock…then having to start the JP over…

Don’t agree with OP that JPs are crap, but I do agree that the camera angles are atrocious sometimes and really needs to be addressed.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: DouBLe.6084

DouBLe.6084

Troll’s End is the best example of what is wrong with jump puzzles in GW2. Not only is it best run as an Asura or with a potion, there are spots where you wind up standing on/jumping off of empty air in order to progress.
Someone at Anet seems to have the demented concept that these problems can be repackaged as “challenging” and that makes everything ok.

Except there are basically no camera problems with the new content, or at least I’ve run into none of it if there is (and I have ~45/52 of the sky crystals). You also get 3 skills that make jumping around significantly easier, and they’re flexible enough that if one angle gives you camera issues you can probably try from another angle and avoid them.

You’re absolutely right about Troll’s End being the worst that platforming in this game can offer, but the Bazaar is not Troll’s End, and Anet’s designers have taken feedback from their initial attempts at platforming into account and have designed all of their new puzzles starting with Super Adventure Box with camera issues in mind.

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

I dunno.
Super Adventure Box was really fun and it was all about jumping around.
I personally like most of the jumping content, although I often feel that the challenge is in finding the right route rather than in the jumping itself.

Benight[Edge]

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The engine definitely isn’t designed for platforming… Don’t know if I would call it crap though.

Try playing it with high ping then.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

As I said in another post: I don’t mind mini games, including platform games. As long as it’s just about some fun and socializing. What I object is when a platform game needs to be solved to get nice ingame items and skins. Than the game should offer alternatives…

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

Imo it would be 100x better with a transparency slider so you could see through cliffs/low ceilings/trees/ect. and if with this added the camera would never auto zoom when moved.

I’ve been suggesting this for months…

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

They really need to look up games like Price of Persia, Assassin Creed, Ratchet and Clank, Tomb Rider and learn from them. Only in the ’80s you were seeing your character jumping like a dummy in its feet, all the rest use some grabbing to avoid near the edge jumping fails

Those actually seem to be intentionally designed that way. The best example being the last 3 jump pads in Not So Secret. They are all positioned at the limits of the vertical and horizontal range.

I think the guy behind the JP’s, forget his name at the moment, has done some amazing stuff with JP’s (and the SAB) in the game. He wakitten with a change in camera implementation at launch that made some JP’s less than ideal for some jumpers. I, myself, do not like platformers that much. But, I think we’re seeing it spotlighted because a lot of people do enjoy them.

Hopefully, they will find their place in this game, there to be enjoyed by those who enjoy them, but not center-stage as the genre is really not about platforming. I do respect the quality of the work done with the JP’s and think they are a great addition to the game.

“changed camera implementation” is not a valid excuse for content added yesterday, the game was launched months ago. Either make it work or stop adding things which are known to be at least partially broken.

Changed camera implementation is also not an excuse for excessive long travel distance to restart.

The controls are also extremely bad. Attempting to use Sun Break correctly doesn’t actually work. If I try activate it as I cross a waterfall I will just overshoot. I have to mash the button just to get it to activate in time. Maybe it’s lag but since this is an online game maybe they should have taken that into consideration.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: Abhor.5602

Abhor.5602

Even as a max size female norn I enjoy all the jumping/platforming content. However, I do have to agree the camera needs some work.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

GW2 has always been a game with a high degree of mobility.

Think of the jade maw fractal for example; there’s no shortage of jumping there, I love that vertical mobility is a component of the gameplay instead of an afterthought.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

GW2 has always been a game with a high degree of mobility.

Think of the jade maw fractal for example; there’s no shortage of jumping there, I love that vertical mobility is a component of the gameplay instead of an afterthought.

Its not an afterthought its is a major part of combat. And the non combat part of GW2 that alone set its apart from other mmorpgs that you can play parts to major parts of GW2 with out any type of combat.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I tried the new content..

Yes i like jump puzzles but its become too much, i’m Australian and with a ping of 250-500+ these become nothing but frustration due to lag and rubberbanding, i’m sure the US players enjoy their 90 ms (at worst) jump puzzles but i just logged out, its not fun anymore..

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Hmm, I’m having log in problems since the update…I crash about every 20 minutes, but I did get to try the new content, as did my wife, who’s finished a lot of it. Even though we’re in Tasmania, we’re not having the same problems some Australians seem to be having.

That said, I love the jumping stuff. No problem with it at all.

Posted by: Mop.3849

Mop.3849

I would definitely like more than just JPs, really.

Wouldn’t it be cool if they added something like, hmm, not sure…

Maybe a new PvP map? Like one in the sky, or involving hammers? Maybe some sort of achievement reward system. Maybe some zephyrite themed back items? Maybe they could improve that achievement UI or something? Maybe expand features in WvW, like repair mastery of some kind? Maybe some new activities I can play, like a drinking game akin to that of the OoW mission? Maybe a new scavenger hunt? Maybe they could go COMPLETELY insane and add that level of content every two weeks, adding living stories and dungeons alongside it!

We can only hope.

Asura represent, bookah.

Posted by: yanchoy.9176

yanchoy.9176

To those who have problems with the camera’s auto-zoom/angle/focus/annoy function,
try enabling “Free Camera Mode”.

You’re welcome.

/Snow white and the 7 dwarfs and their wives

Posted by: Puru.4217

Puru.4217

The last jp heavy update was SAB and it was released like 3 months ago.

The Aetherblade jumping puzzle was just a bonus, the main thing being a really nice dungeon that actually made people move/jump around a bit, as every dungeon in this game should.

It’s not my fault if S/P is not popular !!!

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I know there are still many people getting horrific frame rates with this game, even on low settings. I wonder if they like the steady addition of jump centric activity. I know I kittening hated it before I upgraded, still don’t like it but it makes the wonky camera less irritating.

Whispers with meat.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i do really think that most of jumping puzzles difficulty is around the fact that u cannot see where u jump and die for it.
it’s not that they do this because they don’t know how their camera works, do they?

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Excellent post op. Would love to see a move away from the niche content.

Vayne.8563

Excellent post op. Would love to see a move away from the niche content.

How can you say with any certainty that this is niche content?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

BotFW is the best update thus far, and the most fun I’ve had in an online game ever.

But sure, I’m a massive commander Keen fan and an old-time mario addict. I couldn’t be more happy with this MMO based around the spacebar.

One of the recurrent requests for GW1 was jumping. A.net took that request to heart and made it the core feature of this game. I’m loving it.

I know this reads as sarcasm, but it isn’t. I’m genuinely happy with the path this game takes. It takes more skill to complete the Bazaar Achievements than it takes to kill <generic raid boss #42 >

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

it is not crappy, but rather well done for a MMORPG environment. That being said, they are completely overdoing it. This is the second LS in a row that relies heavily on jumping puzzles and other Super Mario stuff. While these things are nice for a change in small dosages, atm, I cannot say we are really playing a rpg type of game. Anet, please no more jp hell in upcoming LS for a while.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

it is not crappy, but rather well done for a MMORPG environment. That being said, they are completely overdoing it. This is the second LS in a row that relies heavily on jumping puzzles and other Super Mario stuff. While these things are nice for a change in small dosages, atm, I cannot say we are really playing a rpg type of game. Anet, please no more jp hell in upcoming LS for a while.

Let’s just say that A.net does what wowon’t.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I’ve done all the JPs, the problem I’m having is that they’re all too easy, and no, I’m not using portals.
Halloween JP was the best, it’s sad that ANet listened to all the crybabies and bad players and decided not to ever make anything as “complex”.

Vayne.8563

I’ve done all the JPs, the problem I’m having is that they’re all too easy, and no, I’m not using portals.
Halloween JP was the best, it’s sad that ANet listened to all the crybabies and bad players and decided not to ever make anything as “complex”.

Actually it’s not a pity that Anet listened to the bulk of the players and ignored the proud few who think they’re so important that even though they’re in the vast minority they should still have games made for them.

Listen to you. Crybabies and bad players. Very nice. How about people who don’t have your skill set. True champions are gracious when talking about people who can’t do what they do.

Frankly I’m glad they changed the game to make it more accessible to a wider variety of players. More players is better for everyone, except for a few elitists who do nothing for the community anyway.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

That’s all they’re doing with GW2.
Watering everything down to make it more accessible and catering to people who want everything to be handed to them with no effort at all.
Not my skill level? How about this – practice?

Waiting for the JP that wll require a single space button press to finish.
Clearly a JP like this would be great because players with any skill level would be able to finish it without any problems, right?

(edited by Nick.6972)

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Not sure about C rated…

But loads of people I know call GW2, Jump Wars 2!

About 10-20% of GW2 is a glorified platform game really…

Vayne.8563

That’s all they’re doing with GW2.
Watering everything down to make it more accessible and catering to people who want everything to be handed to them with no effort at all.
Not my skill level? How about this – practice?

Waiting for the JP that wll require a single space button press to finish.
Clearly a JP like this would be great because players with any skill level would be able to finish it without any problems, right?

I’m sure from your point of view it would look like that. Actually many many people DO practice and STILL find jumping puzzles hard.

Did you not hear the Australians screaming that the lag makes certain jumping puzzles a lot harder? Oh right you don’t care about people playing overseas. They don’t count because they can’t be as uber as you?

No, Anet is not just making stuff easy. They’re making it accessible, because MANY people still find jumping puzzles challenging. You just don’t have the ability to see anything outside your limited point of view.

No mainstream MMO is going to be made just for hard core players and because content takes time to produce, the hard core players won’t be the first satisfied. There simply aren’t enough of you.

As for practice…lol. Right because everyone has so much time to practice jumping puzzles. This is a game, not a living. It’s not even a sport. It’s a past time. It’s recreation. It’s something people do for FUN. And practicing a jumping puzzle probably isn’t fun for a lot of people.

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I personally prefer JPs over dungeons… as weird as it sounds. It’s stuff I can do solo too, but it get’s more fun if other people are around. Dungeons in GW2 are too much sponge-boss at the moment imho.

I agree on the camera issues… the cam needs some improvements for this kind of content (like the transparency issue with obstacles behind you). Not much problems in the new areas though…

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

Id say more like Sonic the Hedgehog 3D meets Mario Cart.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Not turning into, already is. The only people still defending it and call it as SSS/A+ or whatever max rank are on this forum. Everywhere else you go and talk to people who’ve played this game for hundreds of hours call it shallow and the most casual mmo on the market.

Every single patch what do they do? Add ‘mini’ things, gem crap and free reward for everyone. What do you think we’ll get next patch? I let you guess, its easy to guess…

When am i gonna read patch notes and see “we added a brand new weapon for every class, a brand new dungeon bigger and more challenging than anything previously in gw2, we added new kind of pvp”? Hmmmm let me think~~~ IN THREE YEARS…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Finished the achievement for the Quartz node last night, and did so by going after the kites in the jumping puzzles. Jumping puzzles I had no idea existed. At all. To be honest, I was blown away. What an absolute blast it was! You don’t even need to finish some of them to get to the kite, but I have to admit I’m tempted now to take some time in the future and try to visit all the known jumping puzzles.

You see what they’re doing? They’re getting people into the world to places they’ve never visited before. It was like playing new zones again for the first time. Definitely fun.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I think the addition of the JPs was an exellent idea and for the most part the engine handles it ok. But I do agree that there needs to be improvements (especially the camera). To me a jumping puzzle should be difficult because it has difficult jumps and obstacles to get past, not because you cannot see the next jump spot due to a bad camera angle.

One of my biggest pet hates in any game is when poor camera angles and movement controls are used to add difficulty. Not that I think Anet has done this (at least I hope not), but it does suffer from this issue in places. With the camera at least.

To me, your controls and viewing capability should never be compromised in such a way. Having a platform obscured by an obstacle is one thing, but having it obscured by your character is another thing all together. To me, you are your character. If you was there in the flesh you would not be struggling to look passed your shoulder would you? And the same should be true in games.

So, if it is at all possible, I would love to see the camera issue cleaned up in all JPs. I think this would go a long way in reducing some of the frustration people experience. Of course, a difficult JP is going to be difficult, but if it is not because of bad controls or camera angles, people may not get so annoyed by them.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.