In my opinion GW2 is turning into a C rated platformer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

but cant we just have an mmorpg?

My thoughts exactly, what was so bad about all the rest of the mmos people played for years and years and enjoyed them that GW2 had to reinvent the wheel so many times its now square and doesn’t work properly..

I left Guildwars 2 for Neverwinter and you know whakittens very refreshing to play generic mmoRPG’s after GW2, its what i enjoyed all those years ago..its what i enjoy now, do i miss the poor builds/balance and jump puzzle mania that GW2 offers, no not a bit..i do miss GW1 tho which is why i hang around to hope it’ll reinvent itself properly like its predecessor.

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

dungeon based on jumping of boxes in the laser room from the previous living story.

Really ? You consider jumping on a box to be sort of JP ?

Apparently if you have a functional jump button your game is instantly Mario Bros.

Sorry, but GW2 has some of the best platforming in an MMO. Now, do I wish there were things like cliff grabbing, wall climbing etc… would be smart to take it to the nest level & integrate it into the gameplay & combat more.

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

I don’t dislike the idea of jumping puzzles, but if they want to implement more of them I think they should first address the engine. Otherwise, their content will be like Mario but not designed as well and not nearly as fun to play.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

I’m sitting here pondering whether ANet is trying to position GW2 as a “hybrid” for a unique new gaming experience and wondering about potential concept success/failure, whether they are trying to attract non-MMO players or whether they added content, not understanding the rigorous segmentation required to understand how their current customers would react.

Or whether this is just a case of “hey the cook is really good at making pancakes, so let’s push pancakes all day” at the steak house.

I have no problem with jump puzzles and races and mini games that appeal to a lot of players. They don’t appeal to me. Never have. As an MMO player, if I don’t need to do them, I won’t.

Unfortunately, unlike SPvP which I can entirely skip if I choose, that is not the case with the creeping addition of achievements/rewards being applied from this “inserted” content.

I am concerned when this constant inclusion of mini-games and jump puzzles gets linked to achievements/rewards that are part of the mainstream MMO PvE experience.

I am annoyed that I may need to engage in a style of play that I didn’t sign up for at release, and there is a faint sense of dread when new content releases that has this style of play hooked to mainstream content. “Annoyed and dreading” are not positive customer experiences for me.

Bottom line:

If the devs seem hell-bent on including “Nintendo-style” mini games and jump puzzles required to reach “mainstream” content, then it ought to be included as “fun for fun’s sake” only. Leaving all of it optional for players without regard to impact. Or a player’s ability to participate (see: technical connection / server issues that have existed since release.)

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

I don’t know your opinion, but it seems that GW2 turns into a platform game with the lately content. That wouldn’t be a problem, but I am sorry to say, GW2 platform jumping is one of the crappiest if not the ultimate crap regarding jumping platformers on the game market today or in recent gaming history.

I’ve played Mario since the very beginning (DK anyone?). This definitely isn’t a game made for platforming, and this game definitely isn’t being taken over by platforming. The “lately content” is absolutely amazing and contains much more than just platforming. I’m not sure why you are complaining. Then again, I’m never sure why anyone is…

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

I don’t know your opinion, but it seems that GW2 turns into a platform game with the lately content. That wouldn’t be a problem, but I am sorry to say, GW2 platform jumping is one of the crappiest if not the ultimate crap regarding jumping platformers on the game market today or in recent gaming history.

I’ve played Mario since the very beginning (DK anyone?). This definitely isn’t a game made for platforming, and this game definitely isn’t being taken over by platforming. The “lately content” is absolutely amazing and contains much more than just platforming. I’m not sure why you are complaining. Then again, I’m never sure why anyone is…

This is NOT about liking this content or not. I’m sure minigames and jumping puzzles on the side are fun (I know how obsessed I was with the halloween tower until I beat it, and i think it was the best JP so far and I like teh drinking minigame, and I do like to find jumping puzzles while i’m exploring). It’s even better when a few platforming mechanics are mixed into the main gameplay, like in fractal maps for instance.

But for the love of god, the *open world and the dynamic events have moved AN INCH while they pour and pour jumping puzzles and minigames. *

We have only the new Dynamic Events in southsun versus:
- Halloween Jumping on a whole new map (fine it’s a festival)
- Winter Jumping on a whole new map (same)
Then:
- *Super Adventure Box * something way out of the genre, an entire 8 bit simulator (wtf)
- Crab game
- Dragon ball
- Big racing game on whole new map

And let me tell you about this slow, on-foot, clunky “racing” game. If I wanna play a “racer with tricks” kinda game, Diddy Kong Racer and Mario Kart 64 are right across the room. And guess what, old as they are, they are a TON better at it.

I urge people who actually found this race any “fun” to take a look at cheap steam games or just emulators. Or just buy a console and play online. You’ll be in heaven. You don’t need an MMO for this.

Stop forcing the boundaries of the genre and of the game’s engine. This is not what I signed for.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

(edited by Harbard.5738)

Posted by: Rebekka.6875

Rebekka.6875

I have a bad feeling, that they are going to do most of new contents like jumping puzzles. If they are really going to release every 2. week new content, they dont have time for good stories.

Ok, for example: If they have 6 living story teams to make these contents. And 1st team release their product to the online. They have only 12 weeks time to make new content. It means, they need to make plans, scripts, build cutscenes, write code, doing voice acting and put them all together. Then they need to send it to testing team, who will test it as fast as they can, they are not testing everything, they are just checking major bugs and hand it back with fix or release notes.

So only thing what they can make in sucha a hurry is some kind of jumping puzzle. They have platforms ready, they have blocks ready and they just put them together, decorate it different way and they start to get ready for next jumping puzzle.

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I have a bad feeling, that they are going to do most of new contents like jumping puzzles. If they are really going to release every 2. week new content, they dont have time for good stories.

Right. Here is how a simple 2D jumping is made. Putting this in 3D isn’t much a big deal after all with the right software.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vl166fVe8E

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This is NOT about liking this content or not. I’m sure minigames and jumping puzzles on the side are fun (I know how obsessed I was with the halloween tower until I beat it, and i think it was the best JP so far and I like teh drinking minigame, and I do like to find jumping puzzles while i’m exploring). It’s even better when a few platforming mechanics are mixed into the main gameplay, like in fractal maps for instance.

But for the love of god, the *open world and the dynamic events have moved AN INCH while they pour and pour jumping puzzles and minigames. *

We have only the new Dynamic Events in southsun versus:
- Halloween Jumping on a whole new map (fine it’s a festival)
- Winter Jumping on a whole new map (same)
Then:
- *Super Adventure Box * something way out of the genre, an entire 8 bit simulator (wtf)
- Crab game
- Dragon ball
- Big racing game on whole new map

And let me tell you about this slow, on-foot, clunky “racing” game. If I wanna play a “racer with tricks” kinda game, Diddy Kong Racer and Mario Kart 64 are right across the room. And guess what, old as they are, they are a TON better at it.

I urge people who actually found this race any “fun” to take a look at cheap steam games or just emulators. Or just buy a console and play online. You’ll be in heaven. You don’t need an MMO for this.

Stop forcing the boundaries of the genre and of the game’s engine. This is not what I signed for.

If you don’t like it…don’t do it. Clearly people do like it, because lots of people are doing it, even after they have their achievements.

Anet made a game for people, not any one person. They’re providing a variety of experiences. I didn’t like the dungeon last month but I didn’t say they shouldn’t design more like that. Because there’s other content I play.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Humans develop tools to make life easier; like electrons we take the path of least resistance.. a race who creates some mundane magic which “might” get you to the objective when a frigg’n ladder or set of stairs would suffice is just pantently ridiculous.

Building stuff and making it stable is probably harder than touching a crystal and jumping of the ground.

Posted by: Bubbles.1047

Bubbles.1047

You know you have a decent thread on your hands when you get Good Guy Vayne to defend Anet.

Agreed very much with OP. Less Super Mario, more RPG, pretty please.

Posted by: Harbard.5738

Harbard.5738

If you don’t like it…don’t do it. Clearly people do like it, because lots of people are doing it, even after they have their achievements.

Anet made a game for people, not any one person. They’re providing a variety of experiences. I didn’t like the dungeon last month but I didn’t say they shouldn’t design more like that. Because there’s other content I play.

Look, Vayne, I play MMOs for over 10 years, as your probably do. I don’t need you to tell me how devs try to do something for everyone, at least within the RPG spectrum. I know that.

I know they’re trying to please everyone. But you can only broaden your content so much, experiment so much, without spreading your content too thin and making every “gameplay modality” stupidly shallow or out of the genre (or both). And I care enough about this game to point it out whenever I see fit, and it would make things better if I didn’t have anyone telling me how I should react about things or how I should play my game.

So, don’t give me this “don’t like it, don’t play it” talk because you know it very well people will advocate their playstyle, you know that, and I know that, because you almost live in these forums lobbying for the “casual gamer rights”, doing your daily “forum PvP” as you said yourself once. And, believe it or not, as a casual player, I liked to see that, especially in days of “MOAR LEWT” “MOAR RAID” “MOAR FARM” zombie attacks.

But, you see, the problem begins when the whole lobbying thing has to be about “Please, please, make RPG content for this MMO*RPG*!!”. I know it’s perfectly normal for MMORPG forums to be this endless tug-of-war between “playstyle factions”. But when they’re stepping out of the genre too often with significant amount of resources, then it’s serious.

THAT, Vayne, is when it gets ridiculous. Doesn’t matter if you like the content or not. People who bought this game as an MMORPG have the right to have a MMORPG. Is that asking too much? Is it? Honestly?

Now I hope I made myself clear and that I don’t have to read that kinda comment again.

And, for the record, I don’t really like dungeons in this game as well, I didn’t even step into the last one and I didn’t even bother to check the achievements pane or the story because I didn’t like it. BUT I didn’t care they were making dungeons I don’t like because that’s MMO, that’s RPG, I’m perfectly fine with that.

Give me game. Not grind, not gating, not RNG, not +stat junk, not checklists.

(edited by Harbard.5738)

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Well said, Harbard.

I also signed up to play an MMORPG.

There’s a lot more I could add, but there have been many on this thread that have expressed the same sentiment. Harbard, thank you for your voice here, you echo my feelings and my guild’s feeling very well in your posts.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

What if I don’t want to look at those games? What if I just want a small distraction that keep GW2 fresh and interesting?

Wait, why am I saying “what if”? I don’t want to look at those games, and I like having that kind of content in GW2.

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

If I want to play a 3d platformer I play Darksiders.

If I want to play a RPG I play Skyrim.

If I want to play a puzzle game I play Portal.

If I want to play a racing game I play Forza.

If I want to play a MMORPG I play any of the dozens of MMORPG’s out there that aren’t Guild Wars 2 because it isn’t an MMORPG any more. It’s Nintendo fan service.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I like the platforming in this game, but I think it just needs a couple of very important fixes:

• Fix the camera. Seriously, it has too many issues.
  • Give the camera enough room. I want to see where I’m jumping.
  • Remove in-combat slow down. It needs to die in a fire.
  • Make jumping distance less dependent on frame rate.
  • Don’t mess around with slanted surfaces so much, just place clearly indicated stable platforms.
“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

So, don’t give me this “don’t like it, don’t play it” talk because you know it very well people will advocate their playstyle, you know that, and I know that, because you almost live in these forums lobbying for the “casual gamer rights”*, doing your daily “forum PvP” as you said yourself once.

Quoted for the truth.

Posted by: doubleomar.2165

doubleomar.2165

People want a different MMO, one that isn’t like WoW or anything else out there. It is shown to them. They complain that it’s different.

I really, really hope the devs realize that this is a too vocal, but very small community of complainers, and that the rest of us lurkers or even non-forum dwellers really adore their bravery at breaking MMO conventions.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

This non rpg content is either buying time for something else or GW2 is now like a fast food restaurant. Fast food is quick and cheap to make.

I’d be very curious to understand the design intent behind all of this too. I’m so confused.

Vayne.8563

Look, Vayne, I play MMOs for over 10 years, as your probably do. I don’t need you to tell me how devs try to do something for everyone, at least within the RPG spectrum. I know that.

I know they’re trying to please everyone. But you can only broaden your content so much, experiment so much, without spreading your content too thin and making every “gameplay modality” stupidly shallow or out of the genre (or both). And I care enough about this game to point it out whenever I see fit, and it would make things better if I didn’t have anyone telling me how I should react about things or how I should play my game.

So, don’t give me this “don’t like it, don’t play it” talk because you know it very well people will advocate their playstyle, you know that, and I know that, because you almost live in these forums lobbying for the “casual gamer rights”, doing your daily “forum PvP” as you said yourself once. And, believe it or not, as a casual player, I liked to see that, especially in days of “MOAR LEWT” “MOAR RAID” “MOAR FARM” zombie attacks.

But, you see, the problem begins when the whole lobbying thing has to be about “Please, please, make RPG content for this MMO*RPG*!!”. I know it’s perfectly normal for MMORPG forums to be this endless tug-of-war between “playstyle factions”. But when they’re stepping out of the genre too often with significant amount of resources, then it’s serious.

THAT, Vayne, is when it gets ridiculous. Doesn’t matter if you like the content or not. People who bought this game as an MMORPG have the right to have a MMORPG. Is that asking too much? Is it? Honestly?

Now I hope I made myself clear and that I don’t have to read that kinda comment again.

And, for the record, I don’t really like dungeons in this game as well, I didn’t even step into the last one and I didn’t even bother to check the achievements pane or the story because I didn’t like it. BUT I didn’t care they were making dungeons I don’t like because that’s MMO, that’s RPG, I’m perfectly fine with that.

Out of the genre is where you lost me. I’m a writer by trade. I used to think in terms of genre, but most fiction today is cross genre. The ones unable to adapt to the changes are the ones to miss out. There’s so much cross genre stuff out there it’s not funny and it won’t get less…it’ll get more.

The reason why older MMOs never had stuff like this in it is because the internet and server infrastructure wouldn’t support it. That’s all. Why couldn’t you move and cast at the same time? To reduce server calls. Not because this genre can’t cope with certain additions.

There are people out there who wan’t play Guild Wars 2 because there are guns in it. Guns have ruined this game for those people. Guns don’t exist in Tolkien so they’re out of genre.

The problem is that you can’t just define a genre because it’s been a certain way for a few years. Genres define themselves. There was some jumping stuff in Rift and SWToR too. The genre was already moving in this direction.

Vayne.8563

Well said, Harbard.

There’s a lot more I could add, but there have been many on this thread that have expressed the same sentiment. Harbard, thank you for your voice here, you echo my feelings and my guild’s feeling very well in your posts.

I feel for you…because genres evolve. What used to be an RPG is nothing like any MMO really. MMOs are TERRIBLE RPGs. I’m an RPG guy from a long time ago and this is the first mmoRPG I can play for any length of time.

The genre is evolving. Rift had some jumping. SWToR had some jumping and I suspect future games will have a lot more of it. Genres evolve all the time. If you don’t like the way it’s evolving, it will simply evolve without you.

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

I really, really hope the devs realize that this is a too vocal, but very small community of complainers, and that the rest of us lurkers or even non-forum dwellers really adore their bravery at breaking MMO conventions.

And where do you get this from ? how do you know how many peeps like or dislike anything in gw2?

If anything going by this thread alone, most want the sequel to gw1 not the sequel to ( insert random Nintendo platformer ).

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I have to agree.

I would like to see MUCH more RPG in this MMOrpg. Let us feel epic for what we do in game and not for the ability to take the right turn/grab a powerup in a racing game, or being able to guess where to jump in some puzzles.

A good start would be to get away from the fluff content and make us the players feel like we are a part of the story and not just watching from the sidelines. I purchased this game because of the stated concept of “your actions will make a difference”, however thus far ALL i have seen is my actions delaying the reset of things in the world for a few minutes.

Although there are a few areas in the game (a bridge is the only one that comes to mind) that change the landscape if the event fails, I want to see more actual “war” in my warzones and not just an area with yet another jumping puzzle to discover. Making the enemies in PvE be more than just fodder with actual goals and tactics, would go much much farther in moving this game away from the narrated feel it currently has.

Vayne.8563

And where do you get this from ? how do you know how many peeps like or dislike anything in gw2?

If anything going by this thread alone, most want the sequel to gw1 not the sequel to ( insert random Nintendo platformer ).

I bet the devs know what content is being played. You don’t know. I don’t know, but they do. And since this is the content they’re creating, one would think that it’s popular. Otherwise why bother?

mesme.5028

Well said, Harbard.

I feel for you…because genres evolve. What used to be an RPG is nothing like any MMO really. MMOs are TERRIBLE RPGs. I’m an RPG guy from a long time ago and this is the first mmoRPG I can play for any length of time.

The genre is evolving. Rift had some jumping. SWToR had some jumping and I suspect future games will have a lot more of it. Genres evolve all the time. If you don’t like the way it’s evolving, it will simply evolve without you.

How far will the game evolve if a-net continue to evolve along a path ( going by this post) a large % don’t want? will gw2 be another rift? a game that started great but is now laughed at.

Say your playing rift and most respond …Rift lol

EDIT: What is interesting is thou both the games you mention are fail.

(edited by mesme.5028)

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

OP is totally right. i have been dreading JP’s in this game since start. jumps are not hard because they need coordination, but because they are glitchy. and unfortunately, each patch the JP part of the game becomes more and more the main theme, or main way of playing the new content.

at this point i just get it over with to get the chest rewards and never do it again. good thing is it is a one time thing, so i dnt have to do it with other characters, if i happen to like the rewards. thank you anet, at least for that gift of mercy.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

So wait why cant an mmorpg have platforming? Should we fault mmorpgs that lets you go into first person because its an mmorpg and not a fps and or melee game? Can we fault an mmorpg for having puzzle because it seem your guys view an mmorpg can only be an mmorpg and nothing else and NO ONE knows what an mmorpg is other then small to larges turn base combat that has very rigid rules of how one can move during and out side of combat.
There is a very bad idea of things must be one way and no other way can such a thing be that is what destroying mmorpg and video games over all. If this keep up for both your views on life and in the gaming industry you will end up alone and only saying to your self how good it use to be and forever being in a mind set of regret.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

mesme.5028

I bet the devs know what content is being played. You don’t know. I don’t know, but they do. And since this is the content they’re creating, one would think that it’s popular. Otherwise why bother?

But you forget one thing, jumping is forced upon us, from completing a zone to fracts, to just about all jumping in gw2.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Well, GW2 is a AAA title with cool elements for everyone. It’s also a skill game and you will have to work at it to perform in any area: pve, jp, wvw, and pvp.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Jski.6180

But you forget one thing, jumping is forced upon us, from completing a zone to fracts, to just about all jumping in gw2.

Nothing IS forced on you. YOU chose to play this game and you knew or had ample opportunity to find out what the game was about. Your simply forced upon your self to complete things in effect YOU are your worst enemy.

Chopps.5047

Jski is right. Take charge of your life. If you want an achievement then persevere. If you don’t, it’s Ok. You will live.

mesme.5028

Nothing IS forced on you. YOU chose to play this game and you knew or had ample opportunity to find out what the game was about. Your simply forced upon your self to complete things in effect YOU are your worst enemy.

Not true tbh i purchased gw2 as a sequel to gw1 marketed as being focused on dynamic events and living story, like many others in gw1 we waited for the sequel to our fav game with baited breath.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

if i need to be honest here, i do all this new content only because there are achievement points and because i cannot do it later since it’s temporary.
i actually don’t like most of the mini games here but i do them only for the sake of these achievements and daily requirement.

and for jumping puzzle, they were ok, at the beginning, and i’m ok with occasional jumping during festival and festivities.

now where is some story like flame and frost?
i loved flame and frost story, with istances and so much detailed characters, and there were no minigame or jumping puzzle involved, where the hell finished all this??

who are these zephirites? why they jump all around instead of running, walking or learning to fly?
don’t get me wrong, i like the idea of a travelling bazaar and the graphic is awesome, the feeling too, but why?

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Jski.6180

Not true tbh i purchased gw2 as a sequel to gw1 marketed as being focused on dynamic events and living story, like many others in gw1 we waited for the sequel to our fav game with baited breath.

So your saying you blindly buy things with out looking up any info on it and viewing no videos? I think your doing your self a great disservices if you cant look up info on things before you buy them video games is one thing but if you do this for everything you buy i think your in for a lot more problems then missing out on a few competition in a GAME.

mesme.5028

Jski is right. Take charge of your life. If you want an achievement then persevere. If you don’t, it’s Ok. You will live.

So as some hate jumping, you sugestion is to avoid all jumping? so no fracts, no completion of zones, no, gosh i could go on all day :P.

mesme.5028

So your saying you blindly buy things with out looking up any info on it and viewing no videos? I think your doing your self a great disservices if you cant look up info on things before you buy them video games is one thing but if you do this for everything you buy i think your in for a lot more problems then missing out on a few competition in a GAME.

I waited years for this game, the sequel to gw1 a game without jumping, sure i knew we could jump in gw2, you can jump in for example wow too, just the full game doesn’t evolve around jumping, so if i dont want excluded from just about everything in gw2 im forced to jump to be involved.

Jski.6180

I waited years for this game, the sequel to gw1 a game without jumping, sure i knew we could jump in gw2, you can jump in for example wow too, just the full game doesn’t evolve around jumping, so if i dont want excluded from just about everything in gw2 im forced to jump to be involved.

Why having jumping if it not used?

Chopps.5047

So as some hate jumping, you sugestion is to avoid all jumping? so no fracts, no completion of zones, no, gosh i could go on all day :P.

No dude I’m saying if sky crystal achieve is too much if a pain in the kitten , then don’t do it. Life will go on

I honestly don’t know how anyone complains about this content (just in general). This game is so baller. There was a guy whining about too many zenith skins taking up bank slots yesterday _ You guys don’t even know!

mesme.5028

Making use of jumping is one thing, turning gw into a platform game is another.

Jski.6180

And what dose rolling skill shots openness of loot do to the game?

Chopps.5047

Meh, it’s a combat skill game. You jump! :p

mesme.5028

Why not start a thread on that if you want to know?:P

Chopps.5047

The other funny thing about this thread is that it shows how the population of players is shifting to a younger age. When this game was launched EVERYONE loved JPs. They were just the coolest thing. I bet that’s because it was mostly older gamers (25 to 35) who had the disposable income to play on headstart. Older gamers grew up with platformers.

Now we have these young whippersnappers whose sad history of gaming includes EA sports titles and Call of Duty. You kids just don’t understand!

Jski.6180

Why not start a thread on that if you want to know?:P

I am just trying to point out there a lot that you can do in an mmorpg that dose not changes the fact thakittens an mmorpg. Even when it comes from the switch from GW1 to GW2 there where a lot more changes then just having a useful jump.

Vayne.8563

Well said, Harbard.

How far will the game evolve if a-net continue to evolve along a path ( going by this post) a large % don’t want? will gw2 be another rift? a game that started great but is now laughed at.

And you think they failed because they had jumping? I think they failed because they had nothing to offer but gear grind. I know someone personally who loved Rift, took a break and couldn’t catch up with his guild after the update. He just couldn’t spend the time and got tired of playing alone even though he wanted to play with his guild. It had nothing to do with jumping.

SWToR didn’t fail because of jumping either. Nice try though.

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

This is NOT about liking this content or not.

This, my friend, is where you are sadly mistaken. This is a video game. When people like content, they spend money on it. I’ve talked with tons of people who have agreed that this bazaar has been their best patch yet. If you don’t like it, go play something else. I’m sure there’s a better, more hardcore mmorpg out there for you somewhere.

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Posted by: Puru.4217

Puru.4217

There’s alot of rpg that includes jumping as a main mechanic of the game (those games generally featuring jumping and puzzle in order to progress, landstalker or light crusader for example). Actually rpg is a game gendra which is diverse as can be, same goes for mmo.

I find it hilarous people think this game will turn into a plateformer because we get another jp heavy content after 3 month while we got 2 dungeons and an update to a whole map in between (featuring a terrible dungeon that i didn’t counted) aswell.

As for minigames (that include jp), like it or not, but it’s the kind of things if they are well done enough to catch a decent amount of players that make some people stay interested in the game as mmo pve endgame are generally pretty dull and become boring really fast.

It’s not my fault if S/P is not popular !!!

(edited by Puru.4217)

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

Well said, Harbard.

And you think they failed because they had jumping? I think they failed because they had nothing to offer but gear grind. I know someone personally who loved Rift, took a break and couldn’t catch up with his guild after the update. He just couldn’t spend the time and got tired of playing alone even though he wanted to play with his guild. It had nothing to do with jumping.

SWToR didn’t fail because of jumping either. Nice try though.

Most games that fail, don’t fail because of “one” thing. They usually fail because players leave. And why they leave will vary depending on the type of player.

Although players leave games for reasons of their own, it is often it is an accumulation of things that build up and then the “last straw” happens. One thing to keep in mind though is that even minor irritants can contribute to this. It could be that there are a lot of little irritants that bug you but aren’t enough to drive you away. Then the “big” irritant rears its ugly head and adds to the cumulative total of irritants.

We all know players are motivated by different goals and annoyed by different things. We all know you can put us into categories by what motivates us to play, what we enjoy, and what we mildly dislike, and what absolutely irritates us to the max.

Whether a game keeps enough players to remain a healthy population or not depends on the enjoyment/irritant ratio for the different types of players.

Unfortunately, for most games when populations are very high and cash shops are raking in the money, there is a tendency to ignore the irritants and to a certain extent the motivations. Then if populations decline, suddenly there is an attitude change and more attention to the irritants that were previously trivialized. Usually it is at the “too little, too late” point.

I know that for a game to be fun, it needs a enough players for the world to be populated and all areas of the game (pve open world, dungeons, sPvP, WvW, etc) to be bustling with players. For that reason, I want the enjoyment/irritation to weight heavy on the enjoyment side as much as feasibly possible for all the different types of players.

This can be difficult because what makes it on my list as an enjoyment might make it to your list as an irritant.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

The other funny thing about this thread is that it shows how the population of players is shifting to a younger age. When this game was launched EVERYONE loved JPs. They were just the coolest thing. I bet that’s because it was mostly older gamers (25 to 35) who had the disposable income to play on headstart. Older gamers grew up with platformers.

Now we have these young whippersnappers whose sad history of gaming includes EA sports titles and Call of Duty. You kids just don’t understand!

Thoshe peshky kidsh!

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

You know you have a decent thread on your hands when you get Good Guy Vayne to defend Anet.

Agreed very much with OP. Less Super Mario, more RPG, pretty please.

So every thread is decent?