January monthly achievement, are you serious?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rapid.7451

Rapid.7451

In order to get the January month achievement you have to complete 30 JPs. In other words, if you already have them all, you are forced to do them again in order to get the achievement, is this some kind of a joke?

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

I guarantee you we’re going to see things in the cash shop soon similar to Farmville – “Steps” you can buy with gems to skip certain achievement objectives.

Posted by: Mechanix.5719

Mechanix.5719

why so much hate for the Jps they are fun and easy

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

Because the core argument in favor of jumping puzzles to date was that they were entirely optional.

Now they’re required as part of the monthly achievements for January.

It’s easy to argue that those achievements are optional, of course, but for more casual players, those achievements are one of the few ways they can keep up with the more regular players in terms of obtaining karma and tokens for forging.

Really, I’m much more bothered by the fact that Fractals is still required. It made sense being there in November, but this is January now. And Fractals was a huge part of the update that made many people quit this game. The devs should know by now that even the people who like Fractals aren’t keen on being forced to keep running it for monthly achievement points, and those who don’t like it probably don’t like being reminded about it every month.

Seriously. Don’t force players to run Fractals if they don’t want to.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Beast.9516

Beast.9516

You only need to find them, you don’t have to complete them.

Beast [Beastess Isdottir][Meilikki Isdottir][Kaunista Illusio][Savant Bixxie]
Aspiring Brotherhood [PACT]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

It’s a monthly ‘achievement’ meaning you are supposed to achieve something that differs from month to month.

Not monthly welfare…

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

At first I thought this was Anet trolling people that still can’t complete the Wintersday Jumping Puzzle, but you only need to walk in and not complete it?

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

You only need to find them, you don’t have to complete them.

This

And refinding them with other characters on your accounts also counts.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: Jelle.4623

Jelle.4623

Kitten, I don’t even know where to find 30 JP’s.

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

easy peasy, make 8 alts and go to the wvw JP and there done.
4 × 2 alts if you don’t have enough space. (just delete the old ones)

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

Posted by: Sanctem.3862

Sanctem.3862

Because the core argument in favor of jumping puzzles to date was that they were entirely optional.

It’s easy to argue that those achievements are optional, of course, but for more casual players, those achievements are one of the few ways they can keep up with the more regular players in terms of obtaining karma and tokens for forging.

Really, I’m much more bothered by the fact that Fractals is still required. It made sense being there in November, but this is January now. And Fractals was a huge part of the update that made many people quit this game. The devs should know by now that even the people who like Fractals aren’t keen on being forced to keep running it for monthly achievement points, and those who don’t like it probably don’t like being reminded about it every month.

Seriously. Don’t force players to run Fractals if they don’t want to.

In all reality, no one’s being forced to do anything. I really don’t think a casual player cares too much about their achv points, nor do I think they’ll cry over it. Everything in this game is optional. Do you want specific gear, do you want to do achievements, do you want to do jumping puzzles, dungeons, do you want to grind for things?

Jumping puzzles are one of the easiest things in the game, it’s not hard to do them.

As for fractals, you could run fractals 1 and 2 and knock them out easy. It’s just another thing to do that isn’t the same as always.

IF you really want to complain about something, go for WvW. It’s been there every month since launch and certain classes have trouble tagging for kills. Other than that I don’t see why you’re complaining.

Like I said, it’s ALL optional. Achievements, monthlies, JPs, grinding, everything. Stop complaining because they actually add variety and don’t just give away free karma.

Zeldain.5710

easy peasy, make 8 alts and go to the wvw JP and there done.
4 × 2 alts if you don’t have enough space. (just delete the old ones)

That certainly smacks of great game design, just as the designers drew it up, I bet.

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

They are just fun things to do, if people want to shortcut them thats ok. Its certainly doable on one character.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: Jaxon.5392

Jaxon.5392

I suspect the January content update will have sufficient additional JP’s to cover the requirement. All other monthly’s have had “?” with content revealed later in the month.

Posted by: Captain Jordan.6938

Captain Jordan.6938

1. Look up the jumping puzzles on the wiki.

2. Go to them, you don’t even need to complete them. You can also visit the same ones on multiple characters so you aren’t even being forced to go to every single puzzle.

THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

What is wrong with the monthly being different than the previous month? No one ever said the monthly would have a 500 salvage challenge every time. I for one like how the monthly always has new things to do and forces people out of their safety hole. Go out, explore and have fun, and if you don’t like the current ones there is always next month.

Posted by: Wanko.8103

Wanko.8103

Monthly achievement is entirely optional too.

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

Apparently you don’t have to complete them, just find them. Completing them is fun anyways, even to those of us who’ve done every single one. Personally, I see this as a reason to head back without someone asking me to. Thirty Jumping Puzzles? That’s too bloody easy.

Posted by: kiba.2768

kiba.2768

on a night that wasn’t new year’s eve, i could complete this monthly in 4-5 hours. 1 sitting.

you don’t need to do the jp’s(i completed them again anyway for the memories and the loot). this is probably the easiest monthly to date in terms of time invested for completion.

Posted by: jblade.6470

jblade.6470

Funny that a lot of people are complaining here but me and my friends are excited to have another reason to go hunt for all the puzzles . I’m not very good at them but it’s a cool little extra challenge to play around with not done in every other MMO. For those saying it’s not optional, the entire monthly is full of various fun objectives from WvW to Fractals to give an extra incentive. If you don’t do monthly, you don’t really loose some amazing reward. Just a fun new goal for the month if you want.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Lol I have not finished my monthly since October. Always stuck at 92% and 0/7 fractals.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

Wow it’s just revisiting 30 JP’s, without even finishing them.
Seriously? this is what you’re complaining about?
Considering you got 5 alts which is the basic starting account – visit the 3 JP’s in LA, 2 easy ones in Caledon forest, and another one of your choice.

What is the complain about? 30 JP revisits total for monthly is a joke.

1+1 = potato

Posted by: DancingPenguins.9875

DancingPenguins.9875

Because it costs money. Travelling everywhere. Why can’t it just be something that makes money like 30 completed dungeons or sell 30 exotic items on the TP?

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

For the tenth time now, no one cares that it’s “easy”. Ease of completion is NOT the complaint, it’s not what people are upset about.

The core complaint is that while daily achievements have been fairly reasonable and can be completed just about anywhere, monthly achievements have been forcing players to perform much more specific tasks, and often asking them to go places or perform tasks they do not want to do. A player should not be punished because he or she doesn’t enjoy WvW or Fractals. And neither of these locations is really a “casual-friendly” place to be, either.

One of the core selling points of this game was the ability to go where you want and do what you want, and they stated that both daily and monthly achievements would reflect this casual, “do whatever you want” game play. In fact, they said that the entire reason they were implementing these daily and monthly achievements was for the casual players, so they still felt rewarded and wouldn’t fall drastically behind the grinders. But right now, monthly achievements clearly are not designed with casual players in mind. A casual player cannot just “hop into WvW” and casually tag 50 kills. A casual player is not likely to perform all that well in the Fractals dungeon, either. You’re all fine with those requirements, but I’m willing to bet that none of you are among that “casual” audience that the achievements were stated to be for. Sure, they’re optional for YOU because you play the game regularly enough that the extra karma doesn’t matter much to you. But not everyone lives and breathes GW2, and it’d be nice if they designed monthly achievements with that in mind.

I’m glad that all of you are perfectly fine with the way things are, but you’ll have to forgive me if I’m not all that thrilled about it. It’s a relatively small aspect of the game, which is why I’m not all that upset about it, but I’m not going to pretend I’m happy about it either. Monthly achievements need to be more considerate of the variety of players that play this game, rather than railroading them into specific tasks that they don’t want to do.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Zeldain.5710

Monthly achievements are optional I hear.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Monthly achievements need to be more considerate of the variety of players that play this game, rather than railroading them into specific tasks that they don’t want to do.

Thats why they have changed it every single month.. My god, the people that post on these forums..

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

Why do “casual” players care if they’re “falling behind”? You’re not going to miss out on content because you missed 40,000 karma in a month. You’re able to do dungeons without exotic gear and you’re able to participate in world events with out exotic gear.
You can run AC at 80 to make some quick cash and karma to either craft or buy exotic pieces respectively.

If you don’t want to make the effort to find 30 JP’s, or to do two fractal scales (7 fractals is scale 1 and scale 2), then you’re going to miss out on the reward. You have thirty days to open up the wiki and search Jumping Puzzle. If you don’t want to do those things, then you don’t want the Karma bad enough.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Because it costs money. Travelling everywhere. Why can’t it just be something that makes money like 30 completed dungeons or sell 30 exotic items on the TP?

you’re really upset over something that costs only a few silver? Seriously?

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Ironcloud.3892

Ironcloud.3892

Perhaps i’m just missing something, but when did monthly achievements become a requirement? /sarcasm

And why do people make it out as if you have to do 30 JP’s all in one day? It’s a monthly. Just do 1 JP a day, simple.

Posted by: Lordphantomhive.1256

Lordphantomhive.1256

1. Look up the jumping puzzles on the wiki.

2. Go to them, you don’t even need to complete them. You can also visit the same ones on multiple characters so you aren’t even being forced to go to every single puzzle.

THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO

Heck you don’t even need multiple characters (probably will be faster through). After a certain amount of time (like a couple hours maybe), you can go back to the same one as the same character and it will add another count.

Darkness becomes light, light falls into darkness.

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

…I haven’t even had 10 exotic drops in 5 months. How do you propose we do that monthly? Craft and then sell them? Sounds more like losing money to me.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Posted by: Revan.6259

Revan.6259

I’m more bummed they didn’t take the kitten fractals out of the monthly.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Monthly achievements are optional I hear.

not in a game with no more rewards anywhere else but dungeons and wvw, it becomes the only option.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Craziplaya.2103

Craziplaya.2103

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

For the tenth time now, no one cares that it’s “easy”. Ease of completion is NOT the complaint, it’s not what people are upset about.

The core complaint is that while daily achievements have been fairly reasonable and can be completed just about anywhere, monthly achievements have been forcing players to perform much more specific tasks, and often asking them to go places or perform tasks they do not want to do. A player should not be punished because he or she doesn’t enjoy WvW or Fractals. And neither of these locations is really a “casual-friendly” place to be, either.

One of the core selling points of this game was the ability to go where you want and do what you want, and they stated that both daily and monthly achievements would reflect this casual, “do whatever you want” game play. In fact, they said that the entire reason they were implementing these daily and monthly achievements was for the casual players, so they still felt rewarded and wouldn’t fall drastically behind the grinders. But right now, monthly achievements clearly are not designed with casual players in mind. A casual player cannot just “hop into WvW” and casually tag 50 kills. A casual player is not likely to perform all that well in the Fractals dungeon, either. You’re all fine with those requirements, but I’m willing to bet that none of you are among that “casual” audience that the achievements were stated to be for. Sure, they’re optional for YOU because you play the game regularly enough that the extra karma doesn’t matter much to you. But not everyone lives and breathes GW2, and it’d be nice if they designed monthly achievements with that in mind.

I’m glad that all of you are perfectly fine with the way things are, but you’ll have to forgive me if I’m not all that thrilled about it. It’s a relatively small aspect of the game, which is why I’m not all that upset about it, but I’m not going to pretend I’m happy about it either. Monthly achievements need to be more considerate of the variety of players that play this game, rather than railroading them into specific tasks that they don’t want to do.

I suspect that part of the monthlies is to push players out of their comfort zones, get them to try stuff that they wouldn’t ordinarily do.

and as for wvw/fractals not being casual…

in wvw all you need to do is get into a big enough zergball and you can get your kills.

inn fractals, do level 1 and 2. problem solved.

Posted by: Jaxon.5392

Jaxon.5392

I do my daily PvP most days but have never completed a monthly because of the requirement for tournament wins. I’m not complaining, seems fair, Anet is asking me to get involved in their tournaments with a carrot but I’m not hungry enough.
I can live with it.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

This again? If you’re in a situation where you absolutely need to rely on the 40k karma then you’re doing something wrong while playing.

It’s purely optional folks. The only alternative is for anet to remove it completely. That is the only way it’s going to be fair to everyone.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

In order to get the January month achievement you have to complete 30 JPs. In other words, if you already have them all, you are forced to do them again in order to get the achievement, is this some kind of a joke?

1. Monthly achievements are completely optional
2. You don’t need to complete any jumping puzzles for the achievement, just finding them is enough
3. Last I checked I had to do 7 fractals again and kill 50 enemies in WvW again to get my other monthlies, also I was “forced” to do those too, I don’t see why JPs should be any different

Achievements (monthly and daily) are currently the only way to “force” people to do a variety of things instead of their mindless farming/grinding or dungeons/events/ori… I see no reason for it to be removed

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Finding 30 jumping puzzles is not too hard.
Killing 50 others in WvW is not hard,
Doing t1-2 fractals is not hard.
That said I have only done WvW kills monthly once and that was because I needed to be there for my world completion. It took a couple of hours which is nothing but I will probably never do it again since I hate all forms of pvp. I also did not do fractals because while I enjoy them I don’t like the ‘hamster on a wheel’ idea behind it.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Extremely easy monthly is extremely easy. As a casual:
day 1: follow the zerg for 30 minutes => 50 kills
day 2: do a few jumping puzzles and fractals
day 3: do a few jumping puzzles and the remaining fractals
rest of the month: jumping puzzles and levelling an alt.

Within 2 weeks I expect to finish this monthly as a casual.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

What if you’ve already done all the puzzles?
You’re forced to create a new character just to do the monthly…

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

No, you can ‘find’ them on any char even if you have already found them.

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

It doesn’t matter if you’ve completed the map or done the puzzles on a character before. If you go near it, it counts. Check for yourself if you don’t believe me.

Actually doing 30 puzzles would be kind of ridiculous for a monthly, but I have to agree with the majority that just walking up to them isn’t that bad. It’s annoying since unlike most of the other stuff, it’s not something anyone, even JP-enthousiasts, would be doing in the course of normal gameplay. It should be doable by everyone, though.

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

Last time i checked “casual” and “achievements” weren’t to be put in one sentence.

Casual players enjoy the game as they see fit, achievements are for those who want to dive in deeper, throwing harder challenges and sending them to new areas to know the game and their character better.

And let’s not forget it’s a monthly not daily. I can imagine during a month you can run around in quite few places to visit those jp, and do some events/harvesting/materials farming on the way from one to the other, without spending a fortune on way points.

Posted by: tic.7425

tic.7425

They should just sticky this post and leave the month blank. Anytime they switch something up, people are going to come here and complain, its sad really..

I like they change it up some, even if it sometimes has something i don’t particularly like doing. I’ll get over it.

/shrug

Posted by: Kuess.1842

Kuess.1842

TBH I think it’s a joke they are making monthly achievements so kitten easy. Just entering the puzzle, and not having to finish to score the monthlies. If you ask me they can make the monthly achievements a bit more difficult.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I have never done the monthly achievement. Ever.

I check it every month and decide I don’t want to do what’s required, so I skip it. I’ve never felt like I was being “punished” or however else people have described it and it’s never occured to me to complain about it. I just assumed that sooner or later they’d have requirements I’d want to do and I’d do it then.

I’m pretty sure they never intended it to be practical for everyone to do the monthly achievement every month. Same way most casual players only do the daily on weekends. Otherwise it wouldn’t be an achievement.

As for why they’d pick visiting jumping puzzles I’d guess it’s another look at ways to get players to spread out and do something other than farming the same few areas over and over. If you’re going across a zone to get to the puzzle you might as well stop and do a few DE’s along the way. And the monthly achivement is a fairly easy way to do it – minimal effort required on Anet’s end and if players don’t like it then it’ll change next month and everyone can forget about it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

do you really want to play an MMO?

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

You should actually complain about having to do 100 events before anything else.

1+1 = potato

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

TBH I think it’s a joke they are making monthly achievements so kitten easy. Just entering the puzzle, and not having to finish to score the monthlies. If you ask me they can make the monthly achievements a bit more difficult.

Fortunately, nobody asked you.

I don’t want to do any jumping puzzle ever. Anet is using this to encourage people who are interested to go and find them. I’ll be using all 5 of my characters to go “find” all the puzzles I already know about. Embrace Sweet Simplicity.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.