Karma hoarding - wanted warning about change

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Was stacking them for quite a while so i could drink them with max buffs, now it all goes to waste. Really appreciate it…

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

General
The amount of karma granted from consumable karma items has been increased. Karma boosts no longer affect the amount of karma gained from consumable items.
—————————

Would someone please post the updated amounts?

Wiki hasn’t been updated.

Posted by: Arthedain.5928

Arthedain.5928

same here…
A warning would have been very helpfull.
It´s a good change but pls warn ppl beforhand.

Leader of ONYX.
Commander of Piken.
Ranger for Life.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I’m guessing you missed the part where they also increased the amount they give?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Arthedain.5928

Arthedain.5928

General
The amount of karma granted from consumable karma items has been increased. Karma boosts no longer affect the amount of karma gained from consumable items.
—————————

50% more on jugs of karma, guess its the same with the rest.

I’m guessing you missed the part where they also increased the amount they give?

with buffs u could get 95% more, now only 50 :-(

Leader of ONYX.
Commander of Piken.
Ranger for Life.

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

General
—————————

Updated amounts is +50% nowhere near what we could get with buffs

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

yep it kinda blows.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

Does it match the increase given by the boost? If not, its an overall reduction of potential karma gained.

Posted by: Illogical.6218

Illogical.6218

yes, but 50% increasement is nowhere near the 95% boost people were able to get

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Is this worth complaining about given that since they made Karma account-wide, everyone’s been commenting on how useless it’s become?

if you’ve been saving up jugs for a while, it’s pretty safe to assume that you’ll have more Karma then you could ever need, with or without the the boost.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

So I guess the ascended +15% karma infusion doesn’t work on this anymore either?
I’m lucky inso far as I just drank all my jugs last week.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Ehhh… until there are numbers, I wouldnt whine.
The amount consumed increased, and now no longer benefits from boosts.

Ok, so they want us to use karma boosts for events in the game and actually playing. Nothing wrong with that.

Even still, karma is pretty useless. Why do you guys care?
Only things people might find use in are:

Obsidian shards
Orrian boxes
Temple sets

I cant see much more of a use.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

yes, but 50% increasement is nowhere near the 95% boost people were able to get

Ahhh, didn’t see any values. My apologies.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Mourningcry.9428

@Arthedain, @Lucyfer – Thanks.

And yes, a ~40% potential reduction isn’t exactly trivial when you consider some of the inventories people have been saving.

Posted by: Illogical.6218

Illogical.6218

Ok, so they want us to use karma boosts for events in the game and actually playing. Nothing wrong with that.

Obsidian shards
Orrian boxes
Temple sets

There are numbers, 50% increasement
and you need aprox 1 mil karma / legendary
I ran out of karma after making a few

cesmode.4257

And yes, a ~40% potential reduction isn’t exactly trivial when you consider some of the inventories people have been saving.

Saving for what?!

Karma is the easiest thing to come by in the game, and you get plenty of it. But there are so few things that are worth any karma. What could people possibly desire other than the three things I listed?

cesmode.4257

Obsidian shards
Orrian boxes
Temple sets

There are numbers, 50% increasement
and you need aprox 1 mil karma / legendary
I ran out of karma after making a few

You ran out of karma after making a few legendaries? Something like 90% of the playerbase doesnt have one legendary. You’ll get no sympathies from me.

And I didnt see them post numbers.. I’ll go re-read.

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

So what exactly is the point of liquid karma now?

All karma is account wide, therefore no reason to pass a jug / drip / vial / thimble / etc to an alt.

Boosts no longer work on liquid karma. No reason to even allow the jug / drip / vial / thimble / etc to waste space in my inventory.

Just hand out the karma directly and spare our mice a few clicks.

Mourningcry.9428

Saving for what?!

Karma is the easiest thing to come by in the game, and you get plenty of it. But there are so few things that are worth any karma. What could people possibly desire other than the three things I listed?

Shards, primarily. Clovers (for mats, or clovers).

Also, I’ve used temple merchants to quickly outfit new 80s. I’m sure newer players who don’t have the now harder to come by dungeon tokens would have appreciated some quick karma exotics as well.

Edit-

You listed the primary uses. But they’re not finite, and aren’t trivial for all players.

cesmode.4257

Yeah, saw no numbers in their post. I guess someone did the math themselves? Did you check your work?

Still, Again.. its a useless currency. If you arent going for a legendary, you dont need obby shards. If you dont care about temple sets, you wont be spending it there. The only other place is the jewel boxes..a karma sink.

Relax guys. Im with you that arenanet makes questionable decisions, but this is not one to jump on them about.

But I do agree, why give us clickable things.. just hand out the karma man.

cesmode.4257

Saving for what?!

Also, I’ve used temple merchants to quickly outfit new 80s. I’m sure newer players who don’t have the now harder to come by dungeon tokens would have appreciated some quick karma exotics as well.

Try not to be so short-sighted (from the persepctive of a vet).

When I hit 80, on each of my level 80 toons, I might have had enough karma for ONE temple piece. Maybe.. most likely not. I dont know how you were able to gear out an entire toon with temple gear, or even two pieces.

Mourningcry.9428

Saving for what?!

Try not to be so short-sighted (from the persepctive of a vet).

When I hit 80, on each of my level 80 toons, I might have had enough karma for ONE temple piece. Maybe.. most likely not. I dont know how you were able to gear out an entire toon with temple gear, or even two pieces.

I had karma jugs and vials saved up with 90% boosts Also bought them cultural weapons so they had some differnt looks.

Edit-
The more imporant piececs starting out were the trinkets in all honesty, due to the expense of crafted, or laurel pieces.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Who cares?

Karma is a useless currency…

Now just stop us giving karma items to click on, just add it to our HUGE useless stockpile…

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

They should have a network wide exchange patch that converts all karma to gold and delete it from the game. It’s a pointless currency that just takes up space for no reason.

cesmode.4257

The only thing I currently use karma for are the jewel boxes. I save up several hundred thousand, buy open up a beer or two and click away.
Selling the junk nets a few gold, I get several of the same minis that I cant do anything with, the very rare lodestone, more karma to spend, or the very rare obby shard.

Im not really going for my legendary, but just from doing this, Ive been able to supply myself with enough obby shards to complete the mystic forge daily (use 5 times) each time it is a daily.. and then even use the mystic forge even more for those clovers. I still have like, 90.

Karma is as available as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

And dont tell me you live in a vaccum while watching the Kardashians either.

Edit: I think I found my first forum signature here… :p
Coining that phrase about Karma.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Used all my karma with max buffs a week or two ago. I now have about 1.6 million karma that is going to waste. This is after I already spent millions on obsidian shards. lol

The change is fine. Simple fact is that boosting karma made it worthless and would have continued to do so in the long run.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Just hand out the karma directly and spare our mice a few clicks.

Agreed – there does not appear to be a need for a karma inventory item any more. They should just grant the karma (like coinage) directly to the wallet.

cesmode.4257

How in the name of all that is good and holy do you have enough resources and luck for multiple legendaries?

Where the hell is my first precursor? At this point, I dont care which one it is.
WTF is wrong with this game where people get multiple legendaries with insane amounts of gold or fantastic RNG luck

(edited by cesmode.4257)

Posted by: Fate.5961

Fate.5961

While this is a welcome change (simplification, freeing up space, etc.), the issue with the patch was probably that were was no warning beforehand. It was unprofessional.

Karma boosts has been a core aspect of this game since its release and the recent update is a big slap in the face for players who bought karma boosters, guild officers who bought bonfires for guild karma parties, and the many players who have been saving up karma in assumption to use it with an once integral feature of GW2.

How does Anet choose who takes advantage of a core feature and who doesn’t? With RNG? For customers to be subjected to a major, significant change in the form of an immediate, radical implementation due to mere whims of the developers – to say it kindly, it’s hardly fair.

A heads-up would have at least given players the opportunity to be on equal footing with other players who has used it even a day before the change.

This reform was poorly executed and it doesn’t look good to the peasants players.

Illustrious Leader of
Love and War [LAW]
http://loveandwar.shivtr.com

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Karma boosts has been a core aspect of this game since its release

This is the silliest thing Ive read all day.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Celes.8953

Celes.8953

The best is certainly when you bought plenty of karma booster with gems and find out that now there are kinda useless.
Without mentioning about my 15% karma infusion wasted….

Thank you Anet !

Posted by: ThePahkage.2684

ThePahkage.2684

bad form
anet gets negative karma for performing this change like they did
balances are certainly welcome, but this implementation method just screwed over anyone who was saving karma pots to use in a buffed session. not giving warning is a betrayal of trust.

anet has again proven that they dont play their own game enough to know what it’s like to be one of their customers.
^^ that’s what stings the most

Posted by: Belorn.2659

Belorn.2659

Thanks for those throwing some 500 000 karma in the drain.

How exactly is this suppose to be fun? Should players even try to do long-term strategies, if patches like this can sneak kill any joy from it without a hint of warning…

What would the cost had been if they done a warning? Who would it had hurt? Why was there no warning?

(edited by Belorn.2659)

Posted by: akcard.3976

akcard.3976

If A-net’s ultimate goal is the make it so karma immediately enters your wallet like tokens/gold wouldn’t it have been more graceful of a change to make it so dailies/monthlies/bags of wondrous goods/event bags/etc. automatically give you karma similar to events rewards? There is no need for consumables which were necessary when karma was character bound.

Why not let people who have been saving up karma consumables to still get the bonuses that were available to everyone previously and just change the acquisition method? This way you’d alienate far fewer people than what you did with this patch.

Posted by: warblah.6543

warblah.6543

Used all my karma with max buffs a week or two ago. I now have about 1.6 million karma that is going to waste. This is after I already spent millions on obsidian shards. lol

The change is fine. Simple fact is that boosting karma made it worthless and would have continued to do so in the long run.

Lol, of course the change is fine for you.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Wtf, i lost tons of karma because of this. Well done anet. And what’s the point of karma booster now heh? And those kite buffs, i specificly kept them for this. I also bought +5% karma food and i even hope my achievement chest, karma passive, would work. I waited it all out. And now i’m screwed. My guild wasn’t ready yet for +15% karma so i waited. Man was I stupid. You stole 1m karma from me anet, i want it back.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

I don’t understand how you can say such a huge nerf is nothing simply because you don’t use the item being nerffed. I don’t use dungeon tokens, nor much Gold, yet I’ll still went “WTF?” when they got nerffed.

As someone with four Legendaries, sure I have little use for more Karma (past possible #5), but I still try and help people get their’s and a huge piece of advice was “wait for max boosters to consume all your liquid Karma”. Not just for Shards but for other Gold conversions.

Alas, I kind of saw this coming with the nerf to Gold Find and the coming changes to Magic Find (read: nerf due to just knowing they’ll lower the numbers since it’ll be account wide).

But why such a low (comparable) percentage on the increase? With the added account boosts we could get over 100% increase, 80% ish without account or infusion boosts. I would think a fair and more global flat increase would be 75% or more, not the 50% we’re given.

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

I just lost 2 million karma.

That is utter bullcrap.

This kind of thing SHOULD BE ANNOUNCED BEFOREHAND.

Posted by: Fate.5961

Fate.5961

This is the silliest thing Ive read all day.

This was the most pointless thing I’ve read all day.

Why even bother?

Illustrious Leader of
Love and War [LAW]
http://loveandwar.shivtr.com

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

How in the name of all that is good and holy do you have enough resources and luck for multiple legendaries?

Where the hell is my first precursor? At this point, I dont care which one it is.
WTF is wrong with this game where people get multiple legendaries with insane amounts of gold or fantastic RNG luck.

I didn’t say I had enough resources for multiple legendaries. I said I had enough karma to get enough obsidian shards for multiple legendaries. That was before the wallet change 2 weeks ago.

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

I’m sorry, I overstated. I lost just under 1 million karma.

At the going rate of karma to gold via Orrian boxes, I deserve a reimbursement for 40g.

Posted by: raseloc.6932

raseloc.6932

I agree. some warning would have been nice…. all my hoarding wasted

Guild – Savants[ijit]
Gate of Madness

Rouven.7409

When people here say the increase of the jug is 50% – did you discount your personal account bonus or is that not affected by that either?

Mourningcry.9428

When people here say the increase of the jug is 50% – did you discount your personal account bonus or is that not affected by that either?

The wiki’s been updated with the new values.

It’s a straight 50% increase. Does not take into account any bonuses.

Rouven.7409

The wiki’s been updated with the new values.

It’s a straight 50% increase. Does not take into account any bonuses.

Thanks!

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

Well there goes a full set of exotics for my next 80 down the drain… oh well guess I shouldn’t have waited until needing it after the wallet was implemented.

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

I could expect almost anything, but not such thing… I feel myself cheated.

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

does nothing affect karma potions now? some things they might of overlooked:
karmic infusion
guild +15%
personal account bonus from AP

This might make Orrian boxes no longer the most cost-effective way to spend karma…
before, it was something like 23k karma = 1g worth of stuff, but that was including using the karma potions you get from them with 95% bonus.
New estimate should be somewhere around 31k karma = 1g worth of stuff.
Still a bit better than buying exotic weapons and MF and sell (if you can even still do that?), which had about 40k karma = 1g.

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

This is totally our fault, we dropped the ball on this plain and simple. We planned to have this messaged ahead of time to be fair to everyone, communication broke down between those who knew it was supposed to be messaged, and those who were supposed to message it and it simply didn’t happen.

As game director this is ultimately my fault first and foremost, and I’m sorry for those who potentially lost some karma as a result. It is our policy to message these kind of changes ahead of time with lots of warning, I’ll do everything possible to make sure this doesn’t happen in the future.

I’d recommend not using your karma consumables yet, give us a day or two to try and see what options we have available to help mitigate the issue.

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

This is totally our fault, we dropped the ball on this plain and simple. We planned to have this messaged ahead of time to be fair to everyone, communication broke down between those who knew it was supposed to be messaged, and those who were supposed to message it and it simply didn’t happen.

As game director this is ultimately my fault first and foremost, and I’m sorry for those who potentially lost some karma as a result. It is our policy to message these kind of changes ahead of time with lots of warning, I’ll do everything possible to make sure this doesn’t happen in the future.

I’d recommend not using your karma consumables yet, give us a day or two to try and see what options we have available to help mitigate the issue.

You.. I love you…

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.