Lost Shores Feedback Thread

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

I think it won’t really be a problem if the rewards weren’t that bigtime or big deal to everyone. Just like the Mad King one. It’s okay to skip it, but all of us still had fun, and we can watch it anytime, anywhere, reliving that awesome moment.

For this one time event, it’s also unforgettable for me. Most frustrating and disappointing experience I had in GW2, so far. It’s sad because I love this game so much that it hurts.

Posted by: Sahriah.3792

Sahriah.3792

I’m fine with one-time events. In fact I’d like to see more of them. I know it sucks if you can’t make it, but that’s life… the real world works in the same way. They can’t please everyone, and they can’t run this stuff over and over. I’d sooner have these once-only events than not…

Just don’t include pre-cursors; it sucks for people who can’t make it, and it sucks for players who don’t get one after 4 hours, only to see them drop to players who joined your overflow on an alt to get one, or that guy who spent the whole fight dead because he sucks badly.

In a game where skill is being touted as a requirement (by the developers no less), RNG shouldn’t play a part in the reward scheme.

This shows a complete lack of understanding. Some timezones like the aussies have the onetime events starting at 2-4am there time on a MONDAY morning. Every single time.

This isnt a case of ‘oh i had to go to the mall and lost out’ its ’oh this event happens right before work/school.

If you want to make one time events then distribute it around time zones, this ones in US timezone, the next ones in AUS timezones…we’ll see how much you guys love one time events that drop exotics and procurers then.

Posted by: Parthis.2091

Parthis.2091

Thank you Arenanet for a great gaming weekend topped by a great time at the last event last night (for me in the UK). It was so much fun to play with so many other players all rushing around trying to help each other and complete the event. Even if you died that was always someone to ressurect you almost instantly. Certainly there was a lot of friendly appreciative chat after the ancient Karka was defeated.

I hope that Arenanet realise that 95% of the people had a great time it is just the 5% moaners that dominate the forums.

Thanks very much

Ramélie

LOL that’s one selfish player who succeeded to not crash and finish the event and get the rewards.
Please only 4-5 people are posting here and happy with that, you have to see the other posts where hundreds of people are complaining.
and also there is a difference between moaning and complaining so let’s use the correct term.

and this game is not only about you, it’s about all the community that plays it

Oh gtfo. Let the OP have his say; he enjoyed the event. So did I, and the 25 guildies I was playing with.

Your millage may vary, but steamrolling in here blurting out kittene like ‘this game is not only about you’ while belittling his experience only casts you in an awful, ignorant light. I also love the attitude that he’s selfish because a game didn’t crash for him.

Someone didn’t get a pre-cursor and is angry.

Breath big man, it’s all good.

Commander Amayasu Gerani, Guardian.
Leader of [JDGE] on Gandara EU.
A GW2 API for Objective-C – http://tinyurl.com/durmandpriory

Posted by: Mobott.5908

Mobott.5908

You didn’t pay for Lost Shores, it was a free event that Anet didn’t have to release.

Parthis.2091

I hate that event and I hate the way Arena made that event.
Period.

Shame really, you’re in [Nug] on Blacktide, figured mindlessly zerging in a lag fest would be right up your street. That’s how you normally win, right?

Celesica.5790

You didn’t pay for Lost Shores, it was a free event that Anet didn’t have to release.

I get it now. It’s okay to feel disappointed and frustrated that the events got broken and some of us weren’t able to take the loots like others did. After all, we didn’t pay for it. Okay, I get it now.

Posted by: Smoothy.1085

Smoothy.1085

Yes, so much. ANET, i dont think u will read this but if u do, it was awesome! alot of ppl agree with me cuz i asked in-game and my real life friends. i have to admit some things didnt go very smooth but that is to be expected and it doesnt really matter. overal the event was great

Posted by: Rhaegar.2417

Rhaegar.2417

I’m sorry but the posters who keep commenting on the ‘moaners’ or ‘haters’ seem to be missing the point. There would be much less complaining and much more praise for Anet had we been allowed to play the actual amazing content and ‘great Ancient Karka fights’ and join in on the ‘friendly appreciative chat’.

But you know what us thousands of oceanic players got? We go to sleep, we wake up (event started around here some time?), we go to work (it’s a Monday), we come back from work, we log in… We heard all about this ‘fantastic event’, loads of people got Ascended gear, and 20 slot bags, and even precursors!! Now, I know there are a lot of patient, tolerant, good folk out there, grats to them for their good character. But you know what I truly felt? Disappointment. I was disappointed by Anet and how they handled this ‘one time event’.

I don’t mind if there are some of these cool events, and I’ll suck it up and say ‘ok Anet can’t cater to everyone, fair enough, we still get awesome other content’. But you know what isn’t ok in my mind? That Anet makes this big deal about this amazing one time event that you absolutely shouldn’t miss out on, and then make it impossible for us to be there. And that they hand out some of the most expensive and hard to obtain items in the game, and loads of other goodies etc only to those who can actually make it, as though missing out on the event wasn’t bad enough. Then to hear about how you totally loved this just rubs the salt deeper into our wounds.
That’s how I feel and that’s why I’m posting.

Glad you had fun though.

(edited by Rhaegar.2417)

Posted by: Hexyn.8462

Hexyn.8462

I had a great time, a few stages of the event went on a little long (the kill the reinforcements phase 3) but other than that it was pretty epic. I do like these one time events, it makes the world feel more dynamic and alive.

I didnt get a precursor, I don’t really mind (to be honest though anet I would of been happy with just a unique skin like the MK book).

Good event, well worth the sub fee (:P) hope you guys get a few days sleep after that weekend and use the experience to make future ones even better.

————-
Piken Square

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

My summary of The Lost Shores is that it’s been a buggy, glitchy, laggy, crash ridden environment with ‘routine maintenance’ thrown in at the worst possible time. Where quest chains could not be progressed and special events were cut short.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Warscream.6817

Warscream.6817

Gj Anet the last event was a blast, the events kept me occupied for hours!!
and thx for fractals i needed something harder then explorables!

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

Holy crap, can’t there be one thread that’s positive? You guys know there’s a billion threads that are complaining – I’m on them too, complaining. This thread is about the positives. And no, I didn’t get a precurser or whatever they’re called.

Posted by: Gombar.7324

Gombar.7324

This whole ordeal brings back memories of when I used to played WAR/Vanguard, Saga of Heroes……

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Oh hell yes to this post. If the shoe fits……

Shame on you ArenaNet, shame.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Winslow.1583

Winslow.1583

I enjoyed the event as well. Didn’t have that much lag, I think alot of the people that complain about this should maybe upgrade their pc’s. Although I really enjoyed the event I don’t think it’s whining when people complain about not getting a reward (especially when the reward is so good). I didn’t get a reward and it feels a bit useless now doing all that work for 3 hours..

Posted by: Hakuba Jen.3520

Hakuba Jen.3520

I would have loved it, if I could have participated in the final event. Living in Japan, I was asleep at the time of the event, and missing out on both what people are calling a great event and insanely good loot is extremely unfair to those who either do not live in North America or those who are busy at the time. This creates an unbalanced game, favoring those in a certain area. I was happy to see how ArenaNet handled Halloween and hoped they would continue to do so for future events, but sadly I came out of this event disappointed.

Posted by: DKNS.2135

DKNS.2135

/signed

This isn’t cool Anet, you are making me lose faith in you. We need a solid reply ASAP

BG LA Best LA !!!

Posted by: Warscream.6817

Warscream.6817

Thank you Arenanet for a great gaming weekend topped by a great time at the last event last night (for me in the UK). It was so much fun to play with so many other players all rushing around trying to help each other and complete the event. Even if you died that was always someone to ressurect you almost instantly. Certainly there was a lot of friendly appreciative chat after the ancient Karka was defeated.

I hope that Arenanet realise that 95% of the people had a great time it is just the 5% moaners that dominate the forums.

Thanks very much

Ramélie

well said!

Posted by: Amarinth.8534

Amarinth.8534

I liked the concept of this event, but the execution felt really sloppy, not just because of the lag and the bugs, but also because the design of the Karka and the Lost Shores zone hit all the same bad marks for me that Orr did.

The biggest problem that I had with the Lost Shores content overall was that throughout 90% of it I wasn’t having any fun – most of it just felt tedious and repetative, especially the Final Event, which dragged on far too long (reinforcement waves? more like infinity waves) and ended up being so boring that during the 2nd reinforcement stage I just parked my character in a safe location and watched TV while occasionally hitting auto-attack on a champ or veteran.

That’s not to say I didn’t have any fun at all, but the parts I did have fun with were mostly side-stuff, like the jumping puzzle in LS, the investigation chains, just watching the cinematics and the last 10 minutes of the final event. The Lost Shores zone itself felt like a huge turn-off and aside from going there to do the jumping puzzle I’ll probably avoid it just like I’ve avoided the Orrian zones. I still find lower level content and events vastly more fun – even the dragon fights for the umpteenth time are more exciting and fun for me than these Lost Shores events were the first time around.

It really pains me to say this after having such a blast with the Halloween stuff, but Lost Shores actually hurt my overall enjoyment of and desire to play this game more than it has added to it…

PS: I know that this is a free content update and that I still have exactly what I paid for at launch and as such I’m merely giving my feedback on this event, I’m not expecting anything to be changed because of it. What I do very much hope however is, if these free content updates are setting the tone for larger paid expansion packs down the road, that the feedback on these free updates will be taken into account to improve the content in those expansion packs. In its current format I don’t find content like Lost Shores fun enough to pay for and simply presenting it in larger quantities wouldn’t solve that problem.

(edited by Amarinth.8534)

Posted by: paelen.3821

paelen.3821

Missed Friday due to ’WORK’ One time 30min. event? Really?

Sat. Stuck at Noll. They updated the game, Noll completed Sunday Morning but Miyani’s chain was yanked.

Joined the final event one hour late. Ran to the battle and fought umm about 2 hours I believe until complete. Received the chest but cannot use any of the loot save the 20 slot.

Posted by: Gandolfi.1507

Gandolfi.1507

Firstly thank you at Anet for the Lost Shores event; clearly a lot of effort and hard work went into designing the new zone and dungeon and I’m sure my family and I will have a lot of fun there in time to come. We all love the game, and the problems with Lost Shores will not change that, even if we might be a little peeved at the moment.

I’ll +1 the comments of the many people who had lag problems and got disconnected in the final event, but if you do manage to sort out some sort of reward – just the 20-slot Karka Chest would make me a lot happier on this front – that would be OK

My main point is that I think Anet missed an opportunity in the gem store with this event. Where were the new skins and town clothes for sale? All we could buy were RNG chests with poor odds of getting anything exciting at over £2 per chest. I’m not into gambling and simply won’t buy this sort of content – makes me feel like the sad people in corner shops who spend their money on cigarettes and scratchcards.

In contrast, I have spent quite a bit of money on gems for myself and my sons (four players in our household so far and two more sons who will be old enough to play in the next few years) in order to buy actual products such as costumes, character slots, minipets etc. In Guild Wars (1) I bought every costume in the store and various other products. But I won’t buy a virtual lottery ticket where I’m likely to be wasting my money.

Now – if you make sure with each event you have some actual products in the gem store – nice skins, new minipets, new services like character modification etc, in addition to chests, you would make money out of someone like me every time. If there are only the chests, then you won’t.

Godrik Gandolfi – human warrior; Lucius Foestabber – charr reaper
The Path Least Travelled, Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

The event albeit long was never boring and required strategy to get through and successfully complete. Our group had a blast doing this and hope to see many more in the months ahead!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Lionaeron.5724

Lionaeron.5724

I had a blast playing bugwars 2 arenanet, i guess the guy you got from nexon aka atlantica really paid off i couldn’t tell the games cash shops apart. look above you’ve got these guy’s buy the gonads defending your bugged to hell laggy disgrace of a game and lapping it all up on their blizz kitten chins, you’ll be milking these rabids for years to come yet, good show!

Zerg>Skill.

Posted by: kingslayer.1342

kingslayer.1342

Well, apparently writing one sentence saying that I agree with this thread warrants getting my post deleted, yet people who post one sentence saying how they loved this event get no such treatment. Nice.

Here is some content to my post, stating exactly how I feel and adding to the discussion then.

I hope they’re not patting themselves on the back for thinking they just concluded a successful event. One-time events, in my opinion, have proven to be a disaster.

Regarding Matt Witter’s quote, I find that really hypocritical given how this weekend worked out. I also feel like nobody cares about the Oceanic players. Since this isn’t a subscription based game, they already got our money so let’s just focus on our highest concurrency at noon instead of creating content that maintains high concurrency throughout the whole day, or week! I’m really sorry if this offends anyone working on the game, I know it’s been frustrating for everybody, but this is my honest feedback and I feel like nobody is listening and simply deleting/merging threads in one corner that developers will probably just glance through at best. And then dismiss it and create an epic one-time Winter’s Day event.

So, SIGNED.

Posted by: Haya jii san.1978

Haya jii san.1978

A-net, i would like to sincerely thank you for the great pve content / gift you guys made for us. I do enjoy the atmosphere, the themes, the design … everything etc.

Bugs so far :
1) Once one disconnects, he’s unable to rejoin instance.
2) In the Guitar Hero wannabe fractal puzzle, there is a chance once one dies in the middle of the puzzle, to to die in place, while appearing like he was sent back at the start of the puzzle.
3) DMC boss (eyes & tentacles thingie) sometimes he bugs and keeps shotting the same person in a “DIE DIE DIE” manner ;<

Posted by: The Death Of Rats.7219

The Death Of Rats.7219

I’m fine with one-time events. In fact I’d like to see more of them. I know it sucks if you can’t make it, but that’s life… the real world works in the same way.

Maybe thats how the real world works for selfish people like yourself but when I arrange things with my friends I arrange it for a time where EVERYONE can make it, but then again I’m not selfish like some people.

This whole thing has been a disaster, I paid my money for the game like everyone else, yet I get penalised for a having a life and a family. Although according to some people I should just tell my family to go away so I can play a game! Dont think so, I play when life, work and family are done, then I get some chill time.

I played GW and bought all the packs for it but if this is the future then you will receive no more money from me.

Why not have a broader time scale so everyone who paid the money gets a chance. Plus the server loads wouldn’t be so disastrous. I know people near the end would struggle to get enough people in to help, but why not give people the oppurtunity to go again except they wont get the awesome rewards of someone doing it for the first time, but enough reward to make doing it worthwhile.

Personally, after this weekend I have lost all fait in arenanet and I wonder if they even care about the people who buy their game!!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I enjoyed the event too, but you need be very careful about saying 95% players enjoyed it and 5% didn’t. It wasn’t that players didn’t enjoy it, it was that the vast majority COULDN’T enjoy it due to progression stopping bugs and lag on many servers – an issue which ANET themselves are acknowledging.

I’m not fussed about rewards, I’d have just liked to have seen it through, but it is at least nice to see that there are a few who were able to get an enjoyable expereince out of the weekend. ANd I REALLY enjoy the new dungeon – that for me outweighs the issues from the rest of the weekend. Oh and I like the look of the new zone – hopefully more will get added to it

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

I have a feeling most threads that try to shed this event in a positive light will quickly be closed because of the people who come in to spoil the fun and the inevitable conflict that ensues… So I’ll say my part quickly.

I loved this weekend, the first phase was buggy so I wasn’t able to finish it (kitten you Noll) and while waiting for Noll to spawn (he didn’t) I missed phase 2… However, I made it to event 3 and that was pretty epic. I only got 1 random exotic and the rest rares (other than the box of course) but that was a pretty interesting fight.

So, I won’t claim the weekend was perfect, I’ll admit there were issues (I think everyone would admit this) but in the end it was pretty awesome. I also enjoyed some fractal runs and look forward to continuing those… A lot of good things were added in this patch.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: IceFire.2136

IceFire.2136

I want to add this out there.

I love the way the community tried to come together and help others get to the event. I understand some still were not able to do it even with the help. But regardless this community was far from selfish. So many wonderful players tried and helped others get to an over flow where 5-6 hours later they could do the event.

Thanks goes to them, as well as A-net having the overflow to allow us a chance at it. This a community of great players willing to help each other! It says a lot about the player base.

As rough as this event was; it had a lot of good. For every bad there is a silver lining. The players for me this weekend were the silver lining at the end.

My hats off to them.

-Arrow Tempest (SoV)
Sea of Sarrows Server
80 Ranger

Posted by: Hexyn.8462

Hexyn.8462

@Lionaeron

The event worked for me, the only thing that bugged in my run through was Noll.. and that didnt really affect anything for too long. My server didnt crash, my pc/net connection didnt lag and I enjoyed it.

Sorry to hear you had a rough time, no need to getting personal though. I hope it’s more fun for you next time if you decide to take part.

————-
Piken Square

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

I’m fine with one-time events. In fact I’d like to see more of them. I know it sucks if you can’t make it, but that’s life… the real world works in the same way.

Maybe thats how the real world works for selfish people like yourself but when I arrange things with my friends I arrange it for a time where EVERYONE can make it, but then again I’m not selfish like some people.

This whole thing has been a disaster, I paid my money for the game like everyone else, yet I get penalised for a having a life and a family. Although according to some people I should just tell my family to go away so I can play a game! Dont think so, I play when life, work and family are done, then I get some chill time.

I played GW and bought all the packs for it but if this is the future then you will receive no more money from me.

Why not have a broader time scale so everyone who paid the money gets a chance. Plus the server loads wouldn’t be so disastrous. I know people near the end would struggle to get enough people in to help, but why not give people the oppurtunity to go again except they wont get the awesome rewards of someone doing it for the first time, but enough reward to make doing it worthwhile.

Personally, after this weekend I have lost all fait in arenanet and I wonder if they even care about the people who buy their game!!

Damage has been done so not worth dwelling on it now, although I’d prefer 8:00 AM to 3:00 AM though. To add onto that, I knew buying from Arena Net they’d favor Americans so I’m ultimately not surprised and sad by it either way.

Posted by: Jena.7364

Jena.7364

Overall it was alright for me. Could not attend Saturday, did not get any precursor, but had my chance to loot the chest and very happy with the free 20 slot bag and accessory.

Posted by: fishladybot.3675

fishladybot.3675

Okay, sure, but why on -earth- should those one-time events have guaranteed rewards worth ~30 gold and possible rewards worth up to 200 :T

You guys are blowing those rewards way out of proportion. Very few people got those rewards. No one in my group got anything worth more than 20 silver. They were definitely not guaranteed.

That event should have had them guaranteed though. It took way too long. I find it hilarious people are complaining they missed it. The people who did the event are complaining they were in it.

Uh, 20 slot bags are 12 gold and the karka necklace requires 1000 karka shells, each of which are 2 silver on the trading post

Which is not to mention the exotics and chances at precursors

Posted by: Amarinth.8534

Amarinth.8534

-removed content due to duplicate post-

(edited by Amarinth.8534)

Posted by: Tale.5241

Tale.5241

I would have liked to have been able to form an informed opinion of the event, especially the finale, but alas Anet decided that wasn’t to be.

Parthis.2091

I had a blast playing bugwars 2 arenanet, i guess the guy you got from nexon aka atlantica really paid off i couldn’t tell the games cash shops apart. look above you’ve got these guy’s buy the gonads defending your bugged to hell laggy disgrace of a game and lapping it all up on their blizz kitten chins, you’ll be milking these rabids for years to come yet, good show!

It’s good that you could at least muster a little respect for the people who actually enjoyed something you didn’t. It shows a tremendous strength of character. I bet you’re popular.

Regardless; unlucky it didn’t work out for you, I hope you have a better experience next time. But here’s the thing; my game didn’t crash, my internet connection worked fine, and I got onto the same server as my guild mates and had a blast. You can go on about rabids as much as you like; it doesn’t make you fan a boy to simply acknowledge when something is fun and works on a personal level.

Posted by: Elarii.2756

Elarii.2756

I just wish people would stop with saying everyone who was able to loot the chest got minimum 30 gold worth of stuff or more… I sure didn’t. I got the 20 slot bag, the accessory that will wait another 35 levels for me to be able to use it, and a couple of yellow items that aren’t even as good as the masterwork armour I already use….

Celesica.5790

I loved the event. I don’t like the rewards, since it’ll kinda be unfair to those players who won’t be able to attend it since it’s one time event. I didn’t get my loot too because I got dc’d at the last part. About 5% of my guild got loots. 95% of us didn’t. We’re over a hundred inside our guild btw. So yep. They didn’t whine or complain though since it already happened and we couldn’t do anything about it. One thing’s for sure. We’re not happy, we’re sad and disappointed. But we’ll still keep playing.

I did the event with most of my guildies who got the same fate as mine – disconnected, and some were working or went to school because the event started at 4am our time, Monday – not the perfect time like you guys have hehe. We live in Asia.

Gratz to those who got loots! Nice to know you really had fun. Hehe ~

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

I just wish people would stop with saying everyone who was able to loot the chest got minimum 30 gold worth of stuff or more… I sure didn’t. I got the 20 slot bag, the accessory that will wait another 35 levels for me to be able to use it, and a couple of yellow items that aren’t even as good as the masterwork armour I already use….

Yep. People, those things were not guaranteed. Few people got them. No one in my group got anything good except the bag. Definitely not a reason to not do one time events.

Posted by: fishladybot.3675

fishladybot.3675

The 20 slot bag and unique accessory are worth at least 30 alone, actually

Though level 80s got higher level equipment, which is pretty awful for a one-time event where not -everybody- is there yet

Okay, clarifying, the GUARANTEED ITEMS, the 20 slot bag and the karka accessory, cost over 30 gold to purchase

And for the 20 slot bag you’re just making an equivalent, there’s no way to get the actual thing now

(edited by fishladybot.3675)

Posted by: Shinarika.5642

Shinarika.5642

I loved the event & the finale too! I thought it was great although the boss could’ve been a bit more difficult perhaps.
But yes, I love one time events & am very happy with this one! I hope we can see more of them in the future!

Posted by: Lindaklingomat.1253

Lindaklingomat.1253

I agree with Ramelie, I had a lot of fun.
Oh – and I did not get a pre-cursor.

I am sorry about the bad grammar/spelling – I am trying to get better, I promise :)

Posted by: Attila the Hun.8569

Attila the Hun.8569

I loved when kraka face rolled over players mass grave yard

Woxiko (Warrior) – Mssneaky (Mesemer) – Xardd (Elementalist)
Desolation Satsugai

Parthis.2091

Hate to be the one to break this to you friendo, but you don’t have hundreds of thousands of friends… and if you did, you’d never manage to pull of your seemingly magnificent feat of organisational prowess you clearly have when organising a trip to the local cinema with the lads.

These aren’t comparable. Anet can’t manipulate time.

But hey man, who am I to have an opinion, right? I mean your opinion is much more important than mine as you used all that angry language and poured in n unhealthy dose of negativity. I only missed the halloween event, and the first day of this event because of real-life commitments… selfish would have been demanding Anet to fit this around my time-table.

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

They’re account bound. You can’t sell them anyway.

Posted by: FleaKill.4108

FleaKill.4108

We feel that everyone should have the ability to contribute no matter what time of the day it is. How we’ve came to this conclusion is that no player’s time is more valuable than another. Everyone has different off peak hours for whatever reason. Players should not be punished or unable to experience and view the same content as everyone else because they play at a different time. They too are paying customers.

The above quote was taken from the WvW forums regarding “Night Capping” by Matt Witter (Game Designer, ANet). Please apply the same logic to World Events, especially if you’re giving out drops like legendary precursors. Please stop the “one-time” events tied to a specific time of day. There are lots of suggestions on this forum about how to get around it. Implement phasing on a character/account basis, let it run repeatedly for a week or a month, etc. The rest of us might not be playing during peak concurrency hours, but we’re paying customers too.

Thank you.

/signed. Totally agree- those comments are almost insulting at this point. Please don’t repeat this mistake…

Posted by: Noviere.7309

Noviere.7309

I was really excited for the Lost Shores — I even took the afternoon off work on Friday so that I could attend. Overall, I think it had a lot of potential, but in the end… well, the execution left a lot to be desired.

One-time Events
I can see the appeal of making an event one-time only — you feel like you are a part of something special which makes it even more exciting! But in the end? It just causes a lot of problems and breeds resentment.

Technical problems can ruin such events, and since they are one-off? Well, you don’t get a second chance. We saw this with the disconnects on Sunday night which caused people who had made the effort to attend unable to claim their rewards or experience the big moment. We saw this with the crippling lag during the defense of Lion’s Arch. And we saw it with the severely bugged NPCs for the investigation quests.

Timezones, RL schedules, etc… are also factors that make one-time events a source of bitterness for those who couldn’t make it.

Perhaps using the mechanics for personal story instances for such things would make them more accessible. Or small instances like the Clocktower, but only let you complete them once per character.

Being able to play on our own schedule is important. As I mentioned, I took 3 hours off on Friday so I could attend — The fact that the event was basically unplayable due to insane lag made me regret the decision… But I cannot keep taking time off work to play a game.

Rewards
The rewards from the final chest were poorly thought out. Rewarding some players with items worth 50-200g, while others got 2-3g worth of stuff is just going to lead to bitterness. Yes, the RNG exists with chests/mobs/etc… in the rest of the game. But using it at the end of a ~3 hour long event was a mistake.

Personally, I think they should’ve given everyone the bag, the accessory, and some cosmetic items to show off(a token for a weapon/armor piece, town clothes, whatever…). If everyone had gotten the same thing, at least people would’ve felt their efforts were fairly rewarded.

I was really happy they made the accessory and 20-slot pack account bound. My Halloween 10-slotter sits unused in the bank because I already had better bags on the character who recieved it.

The Actual Events
The actual events had so much potential, but I think going forward things will need to change in order for them to run more smoothly, and thus be more fun for everyone.

Before the event starts, lower the population cap on the zones where they are taking place. The sheer number of people doing the events takes so much of the fun out of it.

Lag(the first LA event was an unplayable slide-show where my abilities would take 10+ seconds to activate), frame-rate bottoming out, culling(enemies in the hive wiping out dozens of players before they even render on the player’s screen), and lack of loot/exp(because you can’t tag enemies fast enough) are all problems that could be solved by having less people. Plus, there is a sense of satisfaction that comes with knowing what you were doing actually made a difference vs. being 1 in a mob of 200 spamming your abilities.

I’ll leave it at that. I really hope Anet learned a lot from this weekend, and makes some changes going forward. I love this game, and want it to be as amazing as it should be.

Posted by: Ekove.4586

Ekove.4586

There should never be such a thing as a one time event. One day event should be the absolute minimum with resets no longer than 6 hours.

Hey I get it this event had massive rewards, even if you got nothing out of the chest other than the 2 guaranteed items, those two alone are worth 20g+! …If you didn’t want people to farm them forever with alts, just have an account limit…I don’t care about people complaing about not getting precursors, I am actually glad they were not a guaranteed drop…you can’t make one day massively affect the games economy when you know many people won’t make it in….even if I made it in I dont like the idea.

Regardless, no more one time events…full day event should be the minimum. Covers all time zones and gives everybody a -reasonably- fair chance.

Parthis.2091

Okay, sure, but why on -earth- should those one-time events have guaranteed rewards worth ~30 gold and possible rewards worth up to 200 :T

You guys are blowing those rewards way out of proportion. Very few people got those rewards. No one in my group got anything worth more than 20 silver. They were definitely not guaranteed.

That event should have had them guaranteed though. It took way too long. I find it hilarious people are complaining they missed it. The people who did the event are complaining they were in it.

Uh, 20 slot bags are 12 gold and the karka necklace requires 1000 karka shells, each of which are 2 silver on the trading post

Which is not to mention the exotics and chances at precursors

Did you not get one because you were DC’d, or could you just not make the times?

They’ll send you the bag + necklace if you were DC’d i’m sure.

Posted by: Salamol.7963

Salamol.7963

My feedback… events are cool, don’t stop doing them and don’t stop giving us awesome things to do! Fractals are awesome, but I’ve only done 4, so I can’t give a full review.

New tier of rarity goes against what you had said, that’s not cool… probably best not to go against your previous aims, and what you set the game out to be. And if you do, it needs to be handled delicately, having your community manager (even on a personal account) flip out at people (even in a minor way) is not a great image.

The “one time events” need fixing, you need to find a way to do them that doesn’t result in lag-fests. I’m not talking about FPS, my FPS was 15-40 the whole time on high settings @ 1080p, I’m talking about ability lag, SERVER lag. They’re a cool idea, and I’d love to see more of them, but they need to work without dropping people, or having prolonged periods where the server is unable to send anything clientside.

Until the above is fixed, I urge you not to offer free trials during these events. Your game rocks, but these events really cast a shadow over it. IF they worked, then yes, you could show off that you can do these amazing things, but they don’t, because of the problems above.

The event itself I felt was pretty cool… and if I wasn’t having the server lag issues, I would have really loved it. I feel the loot at the end was appropriate, and I feel you dodged a bigger, angrier bullet from the community, had they not been pacified with phat lewtz. The event was fairly long on Sunday… however I think it would have been half as long had it not been a lagfest, so don’t try to make them shorter… just make them work!

My suggestion would be to make the population of each overflow/instance smaller, if it were cut by 50% I think we’d all have a better time! Overall, great that we have a new zone (though no map completion or vistas?) and the new dungeon, but it was massively overshadowed by the serverside lag.

Follow me: @Salamolign
Mist Angels [Mist] – Piken Square