Lost Shores Feedback Thread

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Samfisher.7942

Samfisher.7942

The latter is to keep the players in the game and restricting a good portion of your playerbase from the only decent rewards is a terrible plan

And that, right there is the difference; I’d have preferred to have experienced the halloween stuff I missed, but it’s OK to me that I missed it… you’re lamenting the fact that you aren’t being given shinnies.

“Rewards” are subjective.

I’m lamenting the fact that it would take me -weeks- to get a few flipping items that you were handed just for being at a specific place and time

Again! I’ve played the game since the kitten beta weekends and i can’t get cool things because cool things are for lucky people

IM pissed that i missed out on that because i had the audacity to, you know, SLEEP

Chill. The. Kitten. Out.

The harpoon that dropped for me wouldn’t have taken -weeks-. Hate to spoil your world view here, but we’re not all walking around with Twilight as a result of this one event. Hate to break this to you too; it wasn’t handed to people. People spent three or four hours of their time playing a game to get an item at the end. Like instances. Like sPvP. Like most things in most games.

The fact that it only happened once is your complaint. Leave the mechanics out of it, you’re confusing the issue.

Hope you had a good night of sleep though. Sleep is important to the rational and emotional well being of a person.

Heaven forbid you get too little sleep and start ranting and raging on the internet over a game.

Chill? Really? You’re the one who was doing the personal attacks up until now
And who, you know, -continues- to do the personal attacks
I had no idea me wanting video game items hurts your feelings so much.

I’ll send you my harpoon later.

Is that what you need to feel better?

Send it to the rangers! They have just had 90% of their change log in the recent patch to ONLY contain underwater skills! Surely they would need an appropriate weapon to test their new prowess!

Ezendor [SYN] – Synapse, Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: Parthis.2091

Parthis.2091

That is still off-topic, you passive aggressive kittennozzle.

No, that was an attempt a little light hearted fun.

I can see we’re on different wave lengths here; I promise not to respond to any more of your posts.

Commander Amayasu Gerani, Guardian.
Leader of [JDGE] on Gandara EU.
A GW2 API for Objective-C – http://tinyurl.com/durmandpriory

Posted by: NickChabby.8907

NickChabby.8907

The solution to this is simple. I don’t mind one time events at all. What I mind though if people getting 10g+ worth rewards for doing it. That’s an unfair advantage.

Give ‘em a hat, a medal, bag of tokens, an unique skin (like the Pact ones) I don’t know, but giving free exotics only for attending the laggy phase 3 was a bad decision. I could just have logged there and waited for two hours and finish the Karka with the others, I would still be rewarded.

I tried to do the other phases (well, what wasn’t buggy) and did half of the finale (logged off because of Real life issues AND also because the lag made it impossible to play through) and I get nothing from all this other than 15 silver of repair bill.

(edited by NickChabby.8907)

Parthis.2091

The latter is to keep the players in the game and restricting a good portion of your playerbase from the only decent rewards is a terrible plan

And that, right there is the difference; I’d have preferred to have experienced the halloween stuff I missed, but it’s OK to me that I missed it… you’re lamenting the fact that you aren’t being given shinnies.

“Rewards” are subjective.

I’m lamenting the fact that it would take me -weeks- to get a few flipping items that you were handed just for being at a specific place and time

Again! I’ve played the game since the kitten beta weekends and i can’t get cool things because cool things are for lucky people

IM pissed that i missed out on that because i had the audacity to, you know, SLEEP

Chill. The. Kitten. Out.

The harpoon that dropped for me wouldn’t have taken -weeks-. Hate to spoil your world view here, but we’re not all walking around with Twilight as a result of this one event. Hate to break this to you too; it wasn’t handed to people. People spent three or four hours of their time playing a game to get an item at the end. Like instances. Like sPvP. Like most things in most games.

The fact that it only happened once is your complaint. Leave the mechanics out of it, you’re confusing the issue.

Hope you had a good night of sleep though. Sleep is important to the rational and emotional well being of a person.

Heaven forbid you get too little sleep and start ranting and raging on the internet over a game.

Chill? Really? You’re the one who was doing the personal attacks up until now
And who, you know, -continues- to do the personal attacks
I had no idea me wanting video game items hurts your feelings so much.

I’ll send you my harpoon later.

Is that what you need to feel better?

Send it to the rangers! They have just had 90% of their change log in the recent patch to ONLY contain underwater skills! Surely they would need an appropriate weapon to test their new prowess!

Hahaha, my first thought on looting it was “well at least my ranger alt is geared at 80”

Posted by: Celesica.5790

Celesica.5790

I still want to have one time events, because it’s fun and awesome and unique in this game. Just don’t make them like people are going to MISS A LOT if they don’t attend or feel like they really have to be there, or feel sorry for themselves because they weren’t able to attend it to get shiny loots. Yep, we have to admit it, people always want to have the shiny loots.

Posted by: Bosley.6403

Bosley.6403

If you miss your favorite bands one time concert in your town, do you blame the band or do you blame yourself for not finding the time to go?

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I love events …
Too bad they do has quests and jumping, by events that are crashing the server or do you miss the récompences. But remove no!

it makes the game dynamic! out of the question to remove! it comforts me, even the loupant to see that it makes it alive!

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Posted by: Lionvandepol.4238

Lionvandepol.4238

First of all: the events/enemies/bosses/etc overall were amazing.
The Karkas were really cool, interesting and formidable foes. The new area looks awesome and the events were great. I’ve had some issues too, and hope you can use my positive and negative feedback to make this great game even greater.

Lag.
Pro: I have a pretty good computer and internet connection and for the mega-event on sunday I set my graphics to ‘Best Performance.’ That worked really well for me. I can however imagine that people had problems with the lag.

Event on Sunday was scaled up too much.
Pro: The idea of the Ancient Karka and the hive was amazing. Taking him down could have been a lot of fun. I don’t mind dying a few times if I don’t watch out for Karkas rolling over me (again, a cool feature).

Con: In my Server (Underworld) I managed to get into the actual area (not the overflow). I thought that most of the people would be there and we would have more luck getting the Ancient Karka down. But because everyone in the area participated in the event, it was scaled up enormously. Especially the ‘kill the reinforcements called by the Ancient Karka’ event took ages, and there were two of them! The idea of events scaling up with the amount of people playing is great, but this was just insane. Champion Karkas took about 10 minutes to take down, and could kill low armored players in one hit. Two Champions in one wave was just too tedious. Event the Veteran Young Karkas took ages to kill. Scaling is great, but don’t scale the event indefinitely. Especially not when low lvl players are also treated as lvl 80 characters.

Con: My Warrior (lvl 80, some points in the toughness trait and rare lvl 80 armor) should be quite durable. Unfortunately even I could be killed in a few seconds by a Veteran Young Karka in the event. Getting killed by a Champion or other boss is no problem for me, but this was too much and really tested my patience.

A lvl 50 player scaled up to lvl 80 is nowhere near a lvl 80 player.
Pro: My little brother had a lvl 60 necromancer and participated in the sunday event too. He was very happy he could play along with me and it was tons of fun.

Con: The Event started at 9 PM in Holland. He had school the next day and couldn’t finish the event, because ‘killing the reinforcements’ took more than half an hour, twice. He had to go to bed and couldn’t finish the event. Eventually we were done at 12 PM. The Event took 3 hours to complete. When he quit, I felt like quitting too, it just wasn’t fun anymore, but I worked so hard already and didn’t want to give up yet.

Conclusion
Good: The idea of the event was amazing, we had a great team, many people showed up (and died, giving me the Combat Healer title). The Karka are great, walk funny and are a challenge. The idea of taking down it’s armor first is also very creative. The rewards were amazing (too bad I didn’t get a precursor).

Bad: The event was scaled up too much and took far too long. I don’t like the idea of low lvl players being scaled up to 80, because they are still much weaker than a lvl 80 player, and their use in these huge events is limited. Please be careful with the scaling system, with scaling events as well as scaling players. This was a deadly combination, which resulted in a tedious and boring event at the end.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

This is why most MMO’s do 1 boring content update every 6 months. When they try to do something fun and exciting a small group of people just have to go and ruin it for everyone.

That and things like making sure it actually works properly.

Posted by: prinzesslife.4758

prinzesslife.4758

I was totally disappointed about the last 2 events. Halloween was not so bad because first I don’t care much for Halloween anyway and the few things I did at Halloween was actually fun. But Cursed shore I wanted to participate. Phase One I totally missed out, I spend 3 hours in the fractals and thought that was it and missed the main event that was going on that day because the information we got was insufficient for us to find out what was going on. Phase 2 I was there participating for a while but since you get no drop at all killing a Champion Karka or a Veteran in a Zerg I moved on to explore the island on my own. don’t know if the Event worked … Phase 3 I did the whole event , yeah it was 3 hours of following a boring giant Lobster Crab Thing over the island and I finally got 4 Exotic drops and a 20 slotted bag. I feel lucky I didn’t disconnect like a lot of other people I know and I didn’t have to get up early on Monday. I suggest make lock server transfers for a week before the event and plan them according to the Timezones. And if you really insist on Americans being privileged just do it in America on a Saturday while it’s done in the rest of the World on a Sunday. I don’t care if I get my loot 18 hours later as the USA , all I’m bothered is to do it at a time during the day and not during the night !! People have to get up to go to work the next day to earn money to pay for the GEMS in your Gem-store !!! Remember this , we are your customers and you should respect our RL .

Posted by: Jiminy.8340

Jiminy.8340

This is why most MMO’s do 1 boring content update every 6 months. When they try to do something fun and exciting a small group of people just have to go and ruin it for everyone.

By small, you mean most of the rest of the world barring the USA, Canada and Mexico?

Posted by: Liquid.3602

Liquid.3602

They just need to give a good reward and every one who participated gets the same. Like the 20 slot bags and karka item. Maybe some outfits.. so there for show off that u have bin at the event
Im not complaining but some people get the dusk or such items.. and some get nothing.. I dont like to see such a difference.

Also make the events more often and not One-time because people also have a real life

Parthis.2091

I still want to have one time events, because it’s fun and awesome and unique in this game. Just don’t make them like people are going to MISS A LOT if they don’t attend or feel like they really have to be there, or feel sorry for themselves because they weren’t able to attend it to get shiny loots. Yep, we have to admit it, people always want to have the shiny loots.

Exactly! Personally i’d happily see the shinny rewards removed completely from events. They could, instead, just introduce a token for these things.

Completing yesterday’s event could have just awarded a “World defense service” token (but with a less cringe-worthy name). Add a vendor that gives rewards based on tokens, and mix up the event start times a little so that, over a period of say, a year, everyone has the chance to experience some cool one time events. Impossible to farm, and inclusive.

There would be no complaints today if the event didn’t reward shinnies.

Sometimes a cool event can be reward enough.

(edited by Parthis.2091)

Posted by: Spikedadragon.6015

Spikedadragon.6015

Thank you Arenanet for a great gaming weekend topped by a great time at the last event last night (for me in the UK). It was so much fun to play with so many other players all rushing around trying to help each other and complete the event. Even if you died that was always someone to ressurect you almost instantly. Certainly there was a lot of friendly appreciative chat after the ancient Karka was defeated.

I hope that Arenanet realise that 95% of the people had a great time it is just the 5% moaners that dominate the forums.

Thanks very much

Ramélie

Well said, minus the last line which will attract the complaints.

Event was a blast. And yes the participation and overall friendliness of people in-game during it all made it better. If you died, somebody, or a group of people, would ditch attacking the Veteran and go to rez. This happened throughout the entire course.

I hope Anet’s team reads the in-game chat on the servers for the /say channel especially on the conclusions. Lots of appreciative praise and overall positive attitude (even from those dc’s multiple times, but got back in). Which can’t be drown out like it is being on the forums with so much negatively.

I did get dc’d during the 2/3 of the battle where the fissures part was and had to relogin and zone into another overflow where they weren’t even close to getting that far yet, so more of the same repeated. But still fun.Never said it sucked or was going to rage quit. We knew it would be difficult and get ran over (or rolled over in this case hehe). Can’t complain.

Posted by: Jiminy.8340

Jiminy.8340

If you miss your favorite bands one time concert in your town, do you blame the band or do you blame yourself for not finding the time to go?

If the band tours at 4AM on a work day after issuing a manifesto about how ‘all’ users should be able to attend the way they want to, I blame the band.

Posted by: Kandrick.8054

Kandrick.8054

I will echo that I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. I was flagging with the Cursed Shore blues so hadn’t logged on since Halloween really. This has given me new impetus and reason to play. Played pretty much all weekend.

I love the new FOTM dungeons. Proper mechanics that I am sure you will improve on as time goes by and a distinct improvement on the older dungeons of rez/run/wipe.

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I’m slowly losing my patience with ArenaNet in Guild Wars 2. They’ve done a great job in creating the game, but a HORRIBLE job in execution of an MMO. This lost shores event was just the latest in a series of bungled player-releations.

First off, we have new content that’s only accessible for a two hour window on a sunday afternoon. While this is just a game, we are paying customers with a minimum expectation that we can experience what we paid for.

Second, if you could attend the event, you probably experienced horrific lag making the play-quality poor.

Third, ANet decided to offer rewards better than ANY current in-game reward (dungeon chests, story rewards, map-completion rewards, you name it). If you want to make players mad, schedule an event they cannot attend and then give awesome rewards.

Now, if that wasn’t enough in the “bad decision” column, consider that some players ran the “one-time” event once for every toon they have.

I’m sure this sounds a bit sour-grapes, but ANet continues to work-over the player base for an MMO in ways I didn’t not really expect from them. I’m losing more than patience… I’m losing respect.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Louveepine.7630

I’m in Europe and I am very happy events! I want to keep!

Posted by: VeralFixen.3142

VeralFixen.3142

and you realise how selfish your statement asking the same reward to be removed in future events is, right?

You mean the reward I didn’t get?

Yeah man, terribly selfish.

and you know that’s a lie right?
by the very least you get the bag + trinket if you get the chest

and I just remembered there’s another reply from Jon Peter somewhere along this line actually

Here you go anet:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeon-Tokens-Account-Bound-please/219199

Posted by: Warily.8152

Warily.8152

I loved when kraka face rolled over players mass grave yard

Yeah, while fighting in the ramp !! This was priceless to see a full overflow wipe because of those Kraka rolls.

Even with the lagfest and getting 2 x exotics (worth 50s) from the chest, it was awsome. It’s sad some people got disconnected or were in a different time zone and could not attend that, but I’m sure ANet will learn a lot from this event and give us even more great stuff in the futur.

Good job guys !!

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

I’m just upset that I put in 3 hours on the event which I actually liked (excluding the waves or karka portion) and I decided to go to work instead of call in , and I got nothing from the event. People have places to go, if this event was spammable that’d be one thing and no one would complain but it isn’t, and people got 20 slot bags, some accessories, exotics being possible precurosor. The rewards were significant and worth it, if you had the full time. I and many others either had to leave early or disconnected so many times to the point of not getting any compensation. I’m sure they know who participated in the event and who didn’t get rewarded a chest. I’m not asking for a precursor and some 20g worth of exotics as compensation, but atleast give me something….

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

If the band tours at 4AM on a work day after issuing a manifesto about how ‘all’ users should be able to attend the way they want to, I blame the band.

I know a lot of people that usually take a day of vacation to be able to follow the band…
If your son will born on a work day what will you do ?

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Posted by: nekroskoma.7560

nekroskoma.7560

I work nights and weekends, the only thing i was able to do was phase 1 and walk around sunsouth for a bit

and i though these events would be running for 24 hours from when they started

Posted by: McSumo.8597

McSumo.8597

I was a paying customer, 2 copies of the game for my son and me, plus £60 on gems. But I will not pay any more, for a game which excludes us from playing content together.

Seriously this is the worst design choice ever made. Huge numbers of people for various reasons could not play at that one specific time. Then to find out that it was the best single loot giveaway in the game to date, is just adding insult to injury.

Even in GW1 days you had the sense to run big events every few hours all day. Giving us players from all over the world, whom you say you care about, a chance to find a time slot which works.

As it is now, the £100 or so I was thinking of putting into gems for xmas presents, (my son, me and a couple of friends) is going to be spent on Rift or some equally good game, which doesn’t exclude us from content.

Posted by: NickChabby.8907

NickChabby.8907

I know a lot of people that usually take a day of vacation to be able to follow the band…

What the holy cow? lol, you’re comparing bad game design decision to the birth of a child?

A band doing a concert: they’re not handing up ‘free’ money to the ones who could attend. If you miss a concert, it sucks yeah, but you can youtube it anyway and gets your band merchandise (T-Shirts and such) online in the end anyway. The only thing you miss is the experience of being there, and that should be the same for GW2.

But this event, not only it rewarded people with worth 10g+ stuffes (like the box), but you also got guaranteed free exotic. It’s beyond any logic. :-|

(edited by NickChabby.8907)

Posted by: Belanna.6150

Belanna.6150

They don’t need different timezone servers and they don’t need to run the event 3+ times a day, nor do they have to ditch the great rewards. If they used phasing for the events then EVERYONE gets to experience the one time event when the time is reasonable for them and the world still changes for those that have completed it.

I’m really surprised Arenanet didn’t follow this path when one of their major selling points was ‘dynamic events that change the world’, because that’s exactly what phasing is.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

By small, you mean most of the rest of the world barring the USA, Canada and Mexico?

Sunday at 12 PST is Prime time for most of Europe. The only time zone where it was very inconvenient was in Asia and Australia, which as much as you may not like it is a small minority of players.

Posted by: Auruan.2837

Auruan.2837

What the holy cow? lol, you’re comparing bad game design decision to the birth of a child?

Seems 20 slot bags and a chance at a legendary precursor mean an awful lot to some people.
Joke aside, I do see what he means, in a way. With the value of some of these items, and the people who are actually hunting down a legendary weapon already… I could see them trying with all their might to be present during an event for a potential freebie.

And then the event crashed on them. I feel sorry for them, I really do.
I just wish I’d been there for the bag, personally.

Posted by: udoh.5307

udoh.5307

/Signed. I agree with the subject of this thread.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

Im not against the one time event.
But i agree to stop them for a while. I prefer a fixed and funny game instead of bugs, unbalanced classes and laggy events.

/signed.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Searox.3420

Searox.3420

Agreed, I woke up at 6am just to check out this event. I am a Australian BTW. I could not finish the event because I also had school on that day. Now tell me, Is that fair?

Posted by: Elfindor.7203

Elfindor.7203

My first forum post…

I try to take part of as much as possible that GW2 offers (as any Anet employee with account access can check) and really look forward to new content/rewards etc. However, yesterday brought such painful lag that it was more or less impossible to take part of the one-time event. I find it very discouraging not to be able to get the rewards others got, e.g. the 20-slot bag etc.and hope that Anet will fix this… i.e., all who tried to take part (and indeed for all that got disconnected towards the end) ought to get some participation reward.

Note that I do realise that others might not have had any lag at all, due to the physical location of their computer, but I think many had same experienced as I did.

Thanks for your attention, cheers.
/elfin

Posted by: Kadromar.5849

Kadromar.5849

Is your perspective really so warped as to think these are remotely comparable?
The onus is upon Anet to satisfy their customers, not for their customers to alter their lives to conform to unjustifiably rigid deployment of content. Honestly, this event has run so contrary to what Anet claimed their core tenets of design were, that I don’t have much faith left in them.

(edited by Kadromar.5849)

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

whats the MOST annoying thing – the event was YESTERDAY and i am STILL having login issues -.-

This games servers are AWFUL and they should be looking at upgrading/expanding them as this will happen EVERY time they have one of these events.

Louveepine.7630

I am from Europe and I loved the events! Living activities and other festivities rich! And I’ve just had two gold, not why I’m crying!

I love the work of Arena Net!

Posted by: Hypergrip.9673

Hypergrip.9673

I do like the look of the new map and think that the Karka are an interesting new type of enemy (I’m sooo sick of the undead). And I the build-up to the event.

That aside the weekend was pretty much a giant disappointing bug filled lagfest!

The Phase 1 event was one giant lagfest with lags up to a minute for your input. After 12 minutes of basically not doing anything remotely productive the server “mercy-disconnected” me, only to find the same lag after I logged back in. The fact that you couldn’t see most of the enemies at all didn’t help. These culling problems are well known – WvW players complain about them since release! How could you not take this into account when designing your events? Same for the phase 3 event. On my overflow server we got whiped by invisible Karka multiple times, what great fun. And of course lag again. Lots of lag and disconnects. I know I’m repeating myself, but these problems where known, the players have been complaining about them forever!
And let’s talk about event steps not working. So many of them. On none of the overflow servers (and my home server) I was on during the events I could finish the treasure hunts, because NPCs refused to fight, talk or show up at all. Speaking of not showing up at all… the start of Phase 2 was completely broken, too. It took those guys 40(!) Minutes to build that trebuchet on my overflow server. And when they finished… nothing happened. No enemies, no fight. But at least the phase 2 event on the island worked ok-ish. Only 30 sec lags instead of 1 min and two Karka that didn’t lose their armor and thus had an infinite number of health bars (at one point they just both died, as if somebody from off stage reminded them that no health means death). And the final event – and the already mentioned lags, DCs and massive culling problems definitely didn’t help – felt too dragged out, especially the parts where we had to defeat the reinforcements. My overflow server took over an hour for the first reinforcement part. People were trying. Hard. As much as the lag allowed. And people were dying. Hard. Over and over again. And if you were unfortunate and died because of “lagged damage” (you find yourself lying on the ground at a spot you were over a minute ago, surrounded by invisible mobs, while the rest of the zerg moved on) you had to walk forever until you made it back to the zerg. I really do give you guys credit for trying to make that “boss fight” epic, there were a lot of nice mechanics in there, but it was so drawn out (when the second “defeat the reinforcements” segment came, a lot of players basically went afk) and suffered form some bad design choices and a lot of technical problems. In the end a lot of people will not remember that event as “that epic event where we fought through endless hordes of karka, drove the ancient one back into it’s lair and then blow the whole thing up! Boom, Baby!” but as “That looong event where we had to fight endless hordes of invisible enemies, spend one third of the time not being able to move because of lags, the second third of the time lying around in steaming puddle of green poison of horrible death +1 and the last third fighting reinforcement.” Of course players (that were not disconnected…) will remember the loot. Be it either because they got precursors, or because they got a bunch of level 78 exotics that didn’t even have a nice skin. The 20 slot box is a really nice thing and the shell is… meh. Why don’t you give out some token and have players select their reward from a selection of equally good items? This worked well in GW1, why do you insist on random drops with a HUGE range of quality for such long / one-time events?

(1/2)

Brains over Brawn [Geek]
Eine familiäre, erwachsene, PvX-orientierte Feierabend-Gilde auf Flussufer/Riverside

Posted by: Hypergrip.9673

Hypergrip.9673

(2/2)

And while we’re talking about rewards… 1.8 silver for those long event quests? Really? Every little 5 minute “roast 5 marschmellows” quest gives you more reward. You designed those quests to be challenging and I do like that. But did you really intent for people to earn 5 silver in a couple of hard quests so that they can’t even repair ONE of their broken armor pieces? Or was this just another oversight? Because the events were full of annoying oversights. Just to give one very simple example: You introduce new enemies that drop new crafting materials. We get new resources to gather and new recepies to use them in. But the bank doesn’t recognize those materials so we cannot deposit them.
Yes, it’s a very complex game with sooo many mechanics interacting with each other, it’s easy to miss some things. And I know from my own work that scripting, testing and QA can be a lot more difficult than most players think it is. But can you honestly blame all those people who ask “did you guys even test this?”

Finally I want to say some things about the fractals dungeons. I do like the idea. I do like the variations. I do like the little gimmicks, jokes, lore related stuff, etc. I do like the different mechanics the dungeons throw at you and I do like the overall difficulty. However I do not like the gating mechanism and the ascended gear. Not one bit. The threads about ascended gear are filled with posts explaining why it’s a very bad step into the wrong direction. So, just to give my “+1” here: You ARE starting a gear threadmill. You might call it “vertical item progression”, but that doesn’t change the situation. You promised your players this would not happen. Your manifesto, you might remember it, was to have people work for aesthetics, not stats. And here we are now…

But let’s end on a high note. As I said before I really like the look of the new zone, the new enemies, puzzles, etc. And while I think the events were an epic fail in so many different aspects, at least the patch finally brought us the long promised fixes and improvements for the Ranger class… OH WAIT.

Brains over Brawn [Geek]
Eine familiäre, erwachsene, PvX-orientierte Feierabend-Gilde auf Flussufer/Riverside

Posted by: Samfisher.7942

Samfisher.7942

They do it one time cos they are humans and they need the downtime. Machines don’t. Especially machines that are made to be constantly working 24/7

Ezendor [SYN] – Synapse, Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

BTW, I still need my event reward.

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

Posted by: Escthiil.3210

Escthiil.3210

/signed

A one-time event set to a time that is favourable to a certain timezone is inexcusable. No matter how you argue with it, the bias is there because not everyone is placed in the train of thought.

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

A band doing a concert: they’re not handing up ‘free’ money to the ones who could attend. If you miss a concert, it sucks yeah, but you can youtube it anyway and gets your band merchandise (T-Shirts and such) online in the end anyway. The only thing you miss is the experience of being there, and that should be the same for GW2.

But this event, not only it rewarded people with worth 10g+ stuffes (like the box), but you also got guaranteed free exotic. It’s beyond any logic. :-|

I was obviously exaggerating.
Things’s value is subjective. If you wanted to, you would have been present.
I think the problem is that halloween’s event didn’t give anything so a lot of ppl thought even this event’s reward will be worthless… surprise!

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Posted by: Miss Sugarific.8471

Miss Sugarific.8471

I can’t believe you just made that comparison. I read through this whole thread, but this is the one that made me go ‘whut?’

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Not signed, I want more one-time events out in the open world, not instanced at-your-leisure-just-for-your content (there are several other games for that).

If I may twist your meaning, I DO want them to design the events differently in the future. Should run from fridays for 9 days with like 3-4 phases during that, so the beginning and end fall on the weekends. Have the phases be long enough so people can schedule for it easier if they want to. Halloween was good in that regard aside from the video sequence you had a day or more for each step.

Edit: in the band metaphor, the valuable items from this event are the autographs or photos with the band you only get when you go to the concert. You can still buy them on ebay though (TP here).

(edited by Mastruq.2463)

Posted by: Antisceptic.9174

Antisceptic.9174

Not signed, I want more one-time events out in the open world, not instanced at-your-leisure-just-for-your content (there are several other games for that).

If I may twist your meaning, I DO want them to design the events differently in the future. Should run from fridays for 9 days with like 3-4 phases during that, so the beginning and end fall on the weekends. Have the phases be long enough so people can schedule for it easier if they want to. Halloween was good in that regard aside from the video sequence you had a day or more for each step.

Weekends are different for everyone. Today’s event happened on a Monday morning for me. When I got to play in the afternoon I was surprised to find an event happening on a specific overflow. When I eventually got there after an hour, followed by another hour or so, we got booted by a new build. I missed out.

I fully agree with the original poster.

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

One time events are great and should continue – what’s not great is that the 2 so far have been bugged and suffered from very poor communication and technical issues.

I think the vast majority of people would really have enjoyed both events had it not been for the issues above.

Posted by: Bashner.7439

Bashner.7439

ANET doesn’t have to do these onetime events … they don’t even have to give us brand new content every month … they are trying to make the game interesting and and make the world feel live. Is it fair that not everyone in the world can make these events? No, but life isn’t fair. It’s just a game. Please stop complaining and just grow up. No I can not make EVERY event. I have a job, wife, and 2 year old daughter. If I miss an event so what. Asking ANET to stop all onetime events cause you can’t make it is completely selfish. Yes, SOME people got precursors from the event then again SOME people got precursors the first time the dropped a few exotics into the mystic forge, it happens.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

They don’t need different timezone servers and they don’t need to run the event 3+ times a day, nor do they have to ditch the great rewards. If they used phasing for the events then EVERYONE gets to experience the one time event when the time is reasonable for them and the world still changes for those that have completed it.

I’m really surprised Arenanet didn’t follow this path when one of their major selling points was ‘dynamic events that change the world’, because that’s exactly what phasing is.

Except that phasing only works in a bubble.

If your game is filled with nothing but solo players, or players that always play in groups with the exact same group of other players at the exact same time every single session, then yes, phasing works so flawlessly you don’t even know its there.

In reality, phasing is a poor attempt at reconciling the potential for permanence found in an instance with the dynamism of an open landscape, and does so poorly. People end up unable to do content with friends, end up in group content with nobody available to help them complete it, constantly view other players making (more than usually) irrational actions, and a number of other nasty hurdles.

Phasing is never an answer to anything. Its an ill considered malformed kitten child of two working designs at best, and a byzantine headache of invisible npcs and people waving swords at nothing and then falling over dead at worst.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

Yes, having week-long or multi-day events for this would be perfect. I liked this event (Stepping Stones JP was terribad, but other than that it was fun). But the timing wasn’t good.

Does ANet seriously expect me to drop my entire weekend for their game? Do they realize how stupidly unbalanced it looks to be giving people who logged in during the last little bit exotics and a 20-slot bag, while I played on Friday and Saturday and got practically nothing with bugged event chains?

Having it be a week or bit longer would be perfect. That’s the thing about MMOs – you’ve got to recognize that your players have lives and plan around them.

Posted by: McSumo.8597

McSumo.8597

/signed

People saying this is prime time for Europe are wrong, event completion went well past that. The reason 12 noon Sunday could be their highest concurrency time is, US players all coming on then and EU players nearing the end of their time.

The comparisons to bands or child birth are laughably ridiculous. You don’t pay in advance for a band and then find out that all the good stuff is happening when you can’t be there. Work automatically allows for new parents to have time off, but not for a game.

My son needing to be in bed on a school night is more important than a game obviously, but that situation shouldn’t even be a factor, they should find a way for people from all time zones, to find a time slot in the day where they can spare 3 hours.

Copy/pasting my post from feed back to complete my views on this.

I was a paying customer, 2 copies of the game for my son and me, plus £60 on gems. But I will not pay any more, for a game which excludes us from playing content together.

Seriously this is the worst design choice ever made. Huge numbers of people for various reasons could not play at that one specific time. Then to find out that it was the best single loot giveaway in the game to date, is just adding insult to injury.

Even in GW1 days they had the sense to run big events every few hours all day. Giving us players from all over the world, whom they say they care about, a chance to find a time slot which works.

As it is now, the £100 or so I was thinking of putting into gems for xmas presents, (my son, me and a couple of friends) is going to be spent on Rift or some equally good game, which doesn’t exclude us from content.

Posted by: Cloud.7613

Cloud.7613

ANET doesn’t have to do these onetime events … they don’t even have to give us brand new content every month … they are trying to make the game interesting and and make the world feel live. Is it fair that not everyone in the world can make these events? No, but life isn’t fair. It’s just a game. Please stop complaining and just grow up. No I can not make EVERY event. I have a job, wife, and 2 year old daughter. If I miss an event so what. Asking ANET to stop all onetime events cause you can’t make it is completely selfish. Yes, SOME people got precursors from the event then again SOME people got precursors the first time the dropped a few exotics into the mystic forge, it happens.

It’s completely selfish to have ONE timed events in NA prime time and not in another time as well. Ultimately ANet will lose big on this – so does it matter, no, lets move on.