Lost Shores Feedback Thread

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vakarianne.3018

Vakarianne.3018

Three official posts from Arenanet that directly conflict with how this event turned out.

http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

Biggest culprit of breaking the fun rule here is the final event with its disgusting amount of filler (reinforcement phases on the ancient karka being the worst of the lot). But a great deal of the issues raised with the event could be considered to take the fun out of it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Night-Capping-and-YOU/first

We feel that everyone should have the ability to contribute no matter what time of the day it is. How we’ve came to this conclusion is that no player’s time is more valuable than another. Everyone has different off peak hours for whatever reason. Players should not be punished or unable to experience and view the same content as everyone else because they play at a different time. They too are paying customers.

Or will people argue that this applies only to WvW? Is everyone’s time equally valuable except if you’re doing a one-time weekend event?

http://www.arena.net/blog/when-its-ready

With more time and effort, the event could have been something more persistent, less buggy, more rewarding and satisfying.

Posted by: gaelen.9185

gaelen.9185

I would like to thank you ArenaNet for showing everyone who amongst your consumers actually matter to you, because it is now abundantly obvious that it is not the casual gamer. This event showed that power gamers who are willing to sacrifice family, friends and career are the only people that matter to you and a big thank you for making this clear. Thankfully you had a trial event on this weekend which we used to introduce our kids to what we thought was a great game for casual gamers. We had put off buying them accounts because of this trial weekend and I am immensely glad that we did, because now we wont be wasting money on buying two more accounts. We appreciate that as casual gamers we don’t matter to you and that we can go screw ourselves. You have stated repeatedly that this game is supposed to be for casual and hardcore gamers alike and that is obviously not the case. I now regret that i have spent $100+ dollars on gems and I regret that I ever recommended this game to friends. I certainly won’t be doing that anymore and I am not sure I will even play anymore when you cannot even keep to your core principles and provide a game for everyone. To say the least I am severely disappointed.

Once again thank you for clarifying that I don’t matter to you.

Now I know not to waste more money on your products.

p.s. I think Vakarianne really hit the nail on the head with the breaking of Anet’s principles.

(edited by gaelen.9185)

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

I really enjoyed the final event rewards, after such a long and drawn out battle, it was welcome to see some good items. I have played daily since pre-release and this is my first exotics that I did not have to buy myself. Even though I did not get my precursor myself, I saw that the prices are coming down, and I hope to be able to buy one soon. These are exactly the kind of rewards that the players want and crave. I had a great feeling of satisfaction after opening the chest, I am glad that I decided to stick around for the end. I was tempted to quit several times, because the actual monster drop rate is horrible in lost shores.

Thank you Anet! I feel that I might now, someday be able to afford a legendary precursor because of the drop in prices. The prices before the event were so ridiculous, that only elitists or gold buyers stood a chance to actually get one. It is also good to see exotic prices drop too, now I can afford to get my level 80 character properly equipped ! My only complaints are that the actual monster drops need drastically improved, and the damage output of the monsters needs to be toned down a bit, those beasts wiped our whole group several times and I thought people would just start quitting.

Posted by: civildude.4308

civildude.4308

I’ll just sum up what I wrote out in the other thread.

Lag issues and buggyness of the event was terrible. The mobs were poorly designed or scaled for large group combat. The amount of time it took to kill anything because of their constant evading and condition removal made it more of a chore than a fun challenge.

More testing is needed prior to these sorts of events, and more bugs need to be squashed in the rest of the game before new content is added that will create new bugs. Still having the same events not starting bugs all over the world and in dungeons.

Posted by: Nanfoodle.2439

Nanfoodle.2439

At this point I just want to know if this is how ANet will be doing all events. I am waiting with baited breath to hear ANet response.

Posted by: Bekkr.6192

Bekkr.6192

Three official posts from Arenanet that directly conflict with how this event turned out.

http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success

Biggest culprit of breaking the fun rule here is the final event with its disgusting amount of filler (reinforcement phases on the ancient karka being the worst of the lot). But a great deal of the issues raised with the event could be considered to take the fun out of it.

We feel that everyone should have the ability to contribute no matter what time of the day it is. How we’ve came to this conclusion is that no player’s time is more valuable than another. Everyone has different off peak hours for whatever reason. Players should not be punished or unable to experience and view the same content as everyone else because they play at a different time. They too are paying customers.

Or will people argue that this applies only to WvW? Is everyone’s time equally valuable except if you’re doing a one-time weekend event?

With more time and effort, the event could have been something more persistent, less buggy, more rewarding and satisfying.

Great post.

What gaelen said about this debacle showing that power gamers matter more to ANet than casuals really resonates with me as well. Very disappointed.

The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer part of it.
-Salvador Dali

Posted by: Ashlar.2519

Ashlar.2519

I will start off by first saying that I did not attend the event at all. When the scheduling for the one-time events was listed, and I knew that I was going to miss the final one because I am not in a US time-zone (Australia here, so 7am on a Monday for us), I made the decision that since I would not be able to complete the event and take advantage of any rewards that I would just not attend. In the end, listening to the feedback, I think I am kind of glad I didn’t. Sure, it would have been nice to be able to participate, to even have a CHANCE at earning some of the rewards, but a one-time event that I was not going to be able to attend anyway just soured the idea for me.

I do applaud the ArenaNet team for attempting the event. I do feel, however, that this early in the game’s life, that the time spent on designing and implementing the event would have been better spent on correcting issues in the game and gameplay that are still problems since launch. There is plenty of time to come yet to host these type of events, but I think many players will agree that the priority at this point in time should be resolving game issues rather than working on events and new content.

Posted by: Nanfoodle.2439

Nanfoodle.2439

I think this is the direction ANet needs to go to stand out. No classic MMO end game content IMO means that GW2 needs keep giving us candy like the event. I just think it was delivered all wrong. Make this a 2 week event that everyone can get to. Giving everyone 2-3 days to finish each step. Give everyone a chance to see it all. Right idea, bad execution.

Posted by: Xae.7204

Xae.7204

I couldn’t care less about the one time event, other than with out it there is jack and kitten for content in the new zone.

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

Don’t really want to recreate my feedback from other threads, so I’m just going to consolidate some of what I’ve already posted into this official feedback thread…

I was expecting a one-time event for this content update and was mentally prepared to miss it. But I have to admit that I was expecting something similar to how the Halloween event was handled (one-time event was a cut-scene, the activity tied to it was available for a couple days). I was completely crestfallen when I saw today’s announcement and noticed that the one-time event would be an “event chain” that would be only available for “multiple hours.”

Of all the Sundays afternoons, that happens to be THE one that I’m out of town and will be completely tied up all afternoon. I fly out that morning and return the following morning. Sucks to be me! Now, I totally understand that ArenaNet cannot cater to everyone and it totally sucks that my family obligation happens to coincide with this one-time event chain. And I completely understand that there is no way everyone will be able to catch it, no matter what ArenaNet does.

But I wholeheartedly feel that event activities should not be limited to only one day or just several hours. Cut-scenes…no problem! Everyone can catch the cut-scenes they missed on YouTube. But activities like event chains should be offered over multiple days to maximize the number of players that can experience the content. ‘Cause even though Sunday afternoons is the timeframe with the highest concurrency, that’s still a significant portion of the playerbase that will miss out on this content.

In my honest opinion, the Halloween event was handled FAR better…

I’ve been a huge advocate for this game due to their “when it’s ready” philosophy. Well…I don’t know what happened with that philosophy because this event was NOT ready and is a huge disappointment. I realize there will inevitably be some bugs…it happens in all games. But with the amount of broken content with this event, it seriously feels like a stress test and not a live environment. This isn’t the polished content I’ve come to expect with Guild Wars 2. The event just feels way too rushed (both in implementation and the time it’s offered).

ArenaNet, you really need to consider extending out the timeframe you offer said content to allow time for bug fixes. ‘Cause bugs ARE going to happen and you need adequate time to fix those bugs. And three days just nearly isn’t enough time to implement bug fixes AND give players enough time to complete the event content. This event should have been offered over the course of a week…not three days.

This event really reflects poorly upon ArenaNet and Guild Wars 2. And I’m quite saddened that it coincided with the free trial weekend. I’m actively encouraging those that I invited for the free trial weekend to skip the event content and focus on the rest of the game since it’s far more polished. Which shouldn’t be the case.

I was unable to make the event today due to a family commitment. I was quite disappointed when earlier announcements indicated the one-time event finale was going to an event chain. I was totally okay with missing a one-time cut scene. But it’s totally disappointing to miss out on playable content because it’s only offered for several hours. I resigned myself to the fact that I’d be missing out on some neat content and got past it…or so I thought.

Now I learn that the chest rewards had a chance for legendary precursors…WOW. I now seriously have no words to express my severe disappointment at how the timing and rewards for this event was handled. It rewards the lucky few who can make the event with hefty rewards and leaves the rest of us who couldn’t make the event due to family commitments, work commitments, time zone differences, etc., etc. high and dry. I hope this does not become a pattern. I’d rather not see the creation of haves and have nots due to these sort of event rewards.

Overall, kudos to ArenaNet for making an attempt at an ambitious event. However, it fell flat and was very disappointing for me due to the massive amount of bugs and the exclusivity of the finale. I fell in the “have nots” category since I couldn’t participate in the finale due to circumstances beyond my control and as a result, lost out on an opportunity for some pretty significant items. Severely disappointing for someone who has been supporting your game for years and has been playing since beta and has yet to see such loot drop in regular gameplay. I’m not going to ragequit and am still a huge advocate of this game. But it’s my hope that ArenaNet listens to this sort of feedback and takes it in mind for future events.

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

Posted by: Aliasday.2460

Aliasday.2460

Just wanted to give my feedback on the weekend. Overall I feel rather neutral about it. I got home after work Friday and tried doing the scavenger hunt things but found them broken so that was kind of annoying. Saturday I had to work so didn’t get in till late and explored the island and did the jumping puzzles (after many many tries). Not a bad zone but I wish there was more cooking materials to harvest than just passion fruits (also I’d like passion fruits and the shells to be collectibles so I can store them there in my bank). The zone was pretty with the thermal water and stuff plus the new monsters were a little more tricky than anything else in the world what with confusion and boon stealing. It is annoying to move around though, if you fall or jump off the island there’s only a few places you can get back up which makes for a lot of walking/swimming. Sunday I thought the 1-time event would be repeated throughout the day every few hours like the dragons in other zones so I was kind of surprised/disappointed when I logged in that night and found out I missed everything. Although with the amount of people logged on for the thing I probably would have had horrible lag and probably been disconnected. I did go back and finish the stuff from phase 1 though (thanks for fixing that). I would have liked something more from it like a Hawaiian shirt or sandals or something to commemorate the event. So all in all I didn’t really do any of the events but did walk around the island a bit and enjoyed fighting the new monsters.
I also got into the new dungeon a few times and I think I like it despite none of my groups managing to get through 3 fractals. The variety is fun, I enjoy the jumping puzzles (although they can be annoying when you complete them and are waiting for the people bad at them to get through) and the bosses fights aren’t just you autoattacking while trying not to get hit, you have to use environmental objects on them. I still think there needs to be an easier way to find dungeon groups though.
I did not do any PvP or buy anything from the gem store so can’t really talk about those.

Posted by: Nuime.8542

Nuime.8542

Ok so… Overall Impressions
This event was crazy! Frustrating at times, buggy at others, but overall I can say that I enjoyed it.

The Major Issue
So the problem I had with the entire event was graphic/server lag. It’s no fun fighting monsters you can’t see and know it’s not your fault since you have a high end computer and fast internet connection. Often times I would just see people and see what they were attacking because of the effects, hope they were attacking something real that wasn’t dead already and then spam an AOE and pray I hit something. I wish there was a way to give render priorities – monsters and their effects first and foremost then you can worry about if my computer/connection can handle everyone else on the map and what they are doing.

Phase 1
I was there for the initial attack on Lion’s Arch. It wasn’t pretty and it wasn’t really that fun for the reasons I stated above. I didn’t get my first drop for the event until well into it and so wasn’t able to help with the samples either though I was glad to see we could still turn them in for a while after.

Once the attack was over I began the quests. I managed to get as far as Canach – who didn’t want to fight and Fadh al’Eshadhi – who thought he was fighting invisible Krait and wouldn’t let me see what was in his chest. But I figured those two things would eventually be fixed and moved on to the Fractals dungeon with my guild members after two more frustrating invisible enemy battles at Morgan’s Spiral and Garenhoff.

I ENJOY THE FRACTALS. I can’t stress that enough. I think it will get old once I experience all the maps but for the time being I think I’ll have some fun running this one to get my monthly achievement.

The next morning I was able to complete the scavenger hunts (I have to admit the 5 commendations as a reward was a bit disappointing) and I was ready for…

Phase 2
Retaking Lion’s Arch was similar to the first attack. By the time I was able to find the items to harm the karka and find a few to kill the event was over before I knew what was happening. I didn’t even get gold for participating despite being there since it first started.

The next was probably my favorite part of the event. Running through the island as the way points were created was genuinely entertaining and I thought – well planned. It felt like a good chain of events but it sorta just fizzled off. I wish that Kiel had said something along the lines of “Good work, now to just hold these points while we plan our counter-attack” or similar. Instead I think she just vanished on our server. I did love the jumping puzzles and my new ranger pet, though!

Phase 3
I feel very mixed about this. Like most of the event at times it was fun, but mostly frustrating. The walk up to plant the explosives was long and with the once again “invisible enemies” issue, the group continued to get wiped and I often found myself wondering what the heck was killing me only to have it actually render once I was dead under it.

During the actual attack on the Ancient Karka I loved the bits where you had to herd it back and actually did something. The avalanche, the steam vents, etc… The “reinforcements” part felt at best – tedious. There was a collective groan from my group when a guildie who was in a server that was completing it just a little faster told us there was a second wave of that. It just took forever and didn’t feel very rewarding.

The final-final battle was pretty great even if it did glitch during the jump and dump me into the lava. I was able to be rezed once the cutscene was over and then came the infamous chest.

I’m happy with the rewards. I like the unique 20-slot box and trinket. My guild the entire time was joking that we better get a bunch of exotics of precursors for doing the events. And we all got just that! True, I only got two exotics that were barely worth 1 gold a piece while a guild member got not just one, but TWO precursors… and yes, I was jealous of them but I’m hardly going to quit the game because of it.

Conclusion if you’ve read this far
So yes – Overall fun but definitely had some issues I hope to not see make a reappearance the next big event. And a final word on “One-Time” events: I have no problem with them being “Only one day” but the one-time-only thing seems to be a major problem for most of the community. I remember that we had “one-day-only”(somewhat…they became annual) events in GW1 but they ran often enough throughout the day so that most people could experience it. The Ancient Karka could easily have taken some servers 3 hours or more to complete so I understand that you couldn’t run it that often but maybe shoot for once every 6 hours within a 24 hour period? Still special, but gives everyone a chance to enjoy it.

Posted by: HealingFreakI.1325

HealingFreakI.1325

Anet will probably not read this, but this is how I feel about this whole event stuff.
I played Guild Wars 1 for 7 years, over 6000 hours, thats alot, it was my first Online Game ever, and I enjoyed it, Anet cared about people, constant events, Xmas, Halloween, Cantha New Year, between others. Final Events in town, repeatable every 3 hours…that is what the game was about, EVERYONE had a chance, that was events every 3 hours for a day, so lets say about 8 events distributed so everyone could make it. Now in Guild Wars 2, its just about whenever they feel most people are on, well MOST people is not ALL people, and I think we ALL paid for this game. Yes it has no monthly fee, its free content, understandable, but if you are making an event for people to enjoy, give everyone a chance, not just SOME people so you dont have to work afterhours. This is not Guild Wars 1, i understand that, this is a different game, but you guys should have kept ur GW1 team, as clearly people working on GW2 are not people friendly, it looks like it is all about other things now. I was at work, got back home, event just finished, got a chance at night to join an overflow, and then you decide to reset server and screw us a 2nd time in a day. This message is from a person who has played over 600 hours alrdy on this game, enjoyed it, but getting anoyed from your incompetence to make events for everyone, and just for people who dont work, study or have family bussines to take care of (no offense to anyone).
I want gaile gray back, regina doesnt care at all.
Thanks
The comunity of Guild Wars 2 hopes you guys will give these 2 mistakes in 2 events a thought and fix this before Christmas.
Bye

Posted by: Xomic.5792

Xomic.5792

I found the Lost Shores event to be far too frustrating; by the time the sunday event rolled around I didn’t even bother logging in.

IMO, the event wasn’t properly tested, and took place over too short of a timeframe to allow developers to fix those bugs that were discovered on day one.

I get the whole “wanting players to be surprised” thing, or the whole “wanting to have mystery” thing, but the truth of the matter is neither of those can exist in an mmo, because without properly testing things there’s a high chance they’re going to end up broken. More importantly you can’t test them with only a handful of testers, you need to replicate a full server of players all trying to do the same thing at the same time, as it will be when it goes live.

The Lost Shores, imo, was a catastrophe, not a success. You really ought to pin a picture of the banner to the dev idea room with the caption “avoid this”.

Posted by: Warzog.6315

Warzog.6315

I guess I’ve played Guild Wars 1 far to long. I’ve gotten used to “one time” event meaning something along the lines of the Guild Wars 1 “Farewell to Gaile” event, which ran all day, all weekend, on every server.
Of course, the reports that parts of “The Lost Shore” event were bugged, and being worked on, had me thinking that the phases could be done anytime.

Stupid me, I never thought in my wildest dreams that “one time” would mean ONLY once in an mmo, like the bug fixes and updates are done.
I take that back, bug fixes and updates can be downloaded whenever you get around to playing again, they’re not limited to downloading them at one specific time ONLY.

I want gaile gray back, regina doesnt care at all.
Thanks
The comunity of Guild Wars 2 hopes you guys will give these 2 mistakes in 2 events a thought and fix this before Christmas.

I agree.

(edited by Warzog.6315)

Posted by: Ralphy.5304

Ralphy.5304

I just want to chip in and say the rewards are disgraceful.

I got a precursor from the chest and it is just wrong. People who played and attended that event should have got something cosmetic, something that in 1+ years time we can use to say, “yeh, I killed the big crab.”

By giving out these ridiculous rewards you MASSIVELY favored those who could make the event. You MASSIVELY messed with the precursor market devaluing those who have already have legendary’s and anyone who currently had a precursor.

People should attend these events for fun, not for rewards. Now next time you announce a one time only event I feel like I will have to attend, because if I don’t I wont get an insanely generous reward.

I don’t want to have to play this game at times defined by you Arena Net. By rewarding so many so generously, you effectively penalised those who could not make it.

You need to make a decision soon. Either you want a player base driven by fun, or by rewards.

I know if I had missed the event and logged on to see my mates with precursors I would be incredibly pissed. I definitely would not be buying gems anytime soon

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I chose to go with a Level 51 character (and even crafted like crazy on Saturday night to get it up to there), because of the new (to PvE) effective UP levelling. So, I was completely surprised to find that in a chest that was giving people TWO legendary weapons, I’d end up with items scaled significantly lower. Many people have stated more effectively than I, the issues with this. No value for resale, useful for only a small window as you level your way past it.

Sure, it populates exotics into the BLTC at lower levels, but that’s not my problem to fix. Well, I suppose now it is.

What I’d like to see is the scaled loot to be upped to 80 to make up for the precursor failure. You should be able to do that with one nicely written SQL statement, no?

…and if people got TWO precursors in one chest (not from overflow hopping), then there must have been a pretty BIG bug in the coding. Even if you went to 1:100 odds for getting a precursor, you can calculate exactly how truly unlikely it is for one person to get two, let alone more than one.

How do you plan to fix that? Was it some hair brained scheme to bring the prices down in a quick swoop? My main suggestion after this game: Fire the person who approved the idea of putting precursors in the chest.

ps: Thanks for the minis. Not account bound and only available from chests that won’t be around in another day… Love it.

Posted by: Karas CL.7845

Karas CL.7845

I got 1000 Karka shell for the exotic accessory at the night on the event’s last day. However, when I tried to go back for the accessory, system updated and anything reset. The Merchant is gone. I spent 20g from trading post, but the merchant disappeared and I am still holding the 1000 of Karka shell. Are they useless? I made an effort for the accessory, but no reward. Please bring the merchant back or talk me how I can achieve the accessory, because I really love the accessory.

Posted by: Trillistar.4071

Trillistar.4071

Being dc’d likely due to just too many participating in event was annoying, having those characters locked out until after event was worse. But having absolutely no means to participate in a one time event with that level of reward is completely unjustifiable. A good idea, poorly thought out and poorly implemented.

Posted by: Araushnee.1852

Araushnee.1852

Overall, I am very disappointed with this new patch. While there have been many things which could have used more work, my biggest issue is with the lack of communication with your player base, as well as the ascended gear. I think the ascended gear problem could have been avoided with proper communication.

My degree is in graphic design, a sub category of communication arts. There is barely any communication going on here. This concept of surprising the players and only teasing them is not working and is not a good idea if you are making a massive change to the game, like a new tier of armor. I’ll make an analogy: suppose a client asks me to design a pamphlet but they request, specifically, a pink background. Throughout my design period and into production, the background remains pink. Now suppose that I decide it would be better if it were blue. Though I am a professional, to what measure would you suppose their reaction would be if I surprised them with the finished product, blue not pink, instead of having informed them or even consulted them of this design change? I will lose the client, in most cases.

If I consult them over the change instead of surprising them, the client may or may not like the change. Communication is key to relations. We, the player base, are your client. I have been supporting this game (for years before it was even released) until the announcement of this new armor tier. A good number of players believed in the manifesto posted by Arena Net. Exotics were supposed to be the maximum. Making a massive change behind our backs without consulting your valuable community of players, is disenfranchising and too abrupt. As it stands, there is no MMO with horizontal progression similar to what you had. I doubt now there ever will be (again).This is a sad day, that this game has become like every other MMO.

Guild Wars was founded on a set of precepts and overall principles of methodology. It was these principles which made Guild Wars different from, dare I say better than, other games. Straying from your own hard wrought ideals is was saddens me the most.

I will say this. I know the stress would be tremendous if I worked for your company. There is a reason why I do not work for a large design firm or company. I could not handle the stress, and I don’t know how anyone working there can deal with it. Having people unhappy with your creation is not an easy thing to deal with.

Gamer Gal

(edited by Araushnee.1852)

Posted by: vow.3976

vow.3976

2-3 hours into final lost shores event I got kicked twice, didnt get the end chest and then couldnt log back in for 30-45 mins.

dissapointed after lagging a lot throughout the event, compensation of the chest contents would be some way of easing my wasted 3 hours.

Posted by: knoxyouout.6543

knoxyouout.6543

I’m sure this has been mentioned over and over again, but I feel.. kind of ripped off.

Yeah, it’s very cool that we’ve opened up a new Island (that I can’t access for another 40 levels, basically), but.. I completed 2/3rds of the event, finding all the clues, waiting around for buggy Noll and Canach (sp?) to be fixed, establishing bases on Southsun while getting 13 fps, and not being able to kill anything as a level 35 character.

2/3rds of the work.. and I say it was work, because some of it was darn monotonous, with absolutely no drops whatsoever, come to find out the people who decided to play on Sunday got incredible legendary drops and precursors… something isn’t right there.

It isn’t just the people who completed all the phases, but just the people who happened to log in Sunday to see what was happening, and check it out.

Posted by: Sender.7958

Sender.7958

The investigation stuff should have been made personal instances, exactly the same as personal story. Heck you could even make it part of the personal story, as in, the further adventures of your hero! Logic being that you don’t NEED anyone else to complete this stuff, its a solo mission, other players don’t do anything except get in your way. Finally, for those actually interested in the story this would be a better experience. Some Anet employee worked on the dialogue and the plot for this content, I feel bad for them cause I had absolutely no time for that as I was spamming attacks on green NPCs, so that the moment they turned red I’d have a chance to hit and get kill credit.

Posted by: Etherealcake.4265

Etherealcake.4265

Except that in this case, having them happen one time is the ONLY way they make sense.

Unless you have a good in-world explanation for how a lighthouse can be destroyed, re-built, and destroyed again twelve times in a day? Or how about the massive amounts of destruction that were necessary to drive the ancient karka back into his lair?

Face it, sometimes having something happen ONCE is the only way it’s going to make sense. You can rationalize it as being all about the players and maybe that’s fair to say, but you can’t possibly rationalize it from any sort of in-the-world sense. And that’s precisely why they’re doing one-time events in the first place: to make changes to the world that people can witness and say “I was there”.

You’re not always going to be present when one-time events happen in real life, I don’t know why you’d insist on always being able to show up for one-time events in a fantasy world either. What, because it’s fantasy doesn’t mean it has to be realistic? One of the few things going for this game still is its realistic and life-like world.

Otherwise, we’re always going to be playing in a world where, as the Manifesto puts it:

“Everyone around you is doing the same thing you’re doing, the boss you just killed respawns ten minutes later….it doesn’t feel like I’m there.”

I, for one, prefer a world that changes and evolves, whether I’m there or not. If you don’t, hey, that’s fine. I hear it’s easier and cheaper than ever to play WoW these days, maybe you should look into that.

Except that your point is invalid since the event was being repeated on overflow servers for almost half a day. Please justify how that goes with your beloved manifesto and principles of one time events.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

Except that in this case, having them happen one time is the ONLY way they make sense.

Unless you have a good in-world explanation for how a lighthouse can be destroyed, re-built, and destroyed again twelve times in a day? Or how about the massive amounts of destruction that were necessary to drive the ancient karka back into his lair?

Face it, sometimes having something happen ONCE is the only way it’s going to make sense. You can rationalize it as being all about the players and maybe that’s fair to say, but you can’t possibly rationalize it from any sort of in-the-world sense. And that’s precisely why they’re doing one-time events in the first place: to make changes to the world that people can witness and say “I was there”.

You’re not always going to be present when one-time events happen in real life, I don’t know why you’d insist on always being able to show up for one-time events in a fantasy world either. What, because it’s fantasy doesn’t mean it has to be realistic? One of the few things going for this game still is its realistic and life-like world.

Otherwise, we’re always going to be playing in a world where, as the Manifesto puts it:

“Everyone around you is doing the same thing you’re doing, the boss you just killed respawns ten minutes later….it doesn’t feel like I’m there.”

I, for one, prefer a world that changes and evolves, whether I’m there or not. If you don’t, hey, that’s fine. I hear it’s easier and cheaper than ever to play WoW these days, maybe you should look into that.

Except that your point is invalid since the event was being repeated on overflow servers for almost half a day. Please justify how that goes with your beloved manifesto and principles of one time events.

Uh….you can’t possibly be serious.

The events weren’t REPEATING on overflow servers. They were just playing on those servers later than the normal ones, and that was ANet’s attempt to address the horrible lag situation they had with the day 1 event. See, contrary to your narrative, ANet actually did learn from the first day, and tried to stagger the finales out among separate overflow servers so that it would cut down on the strain on their servers and make the events more playable. Granted, it met with mixed results and didn’t really work out for everyone (since a few servers actually crashed) but at least they were trying.

But let’s be honest for a second. You’re pretending that overflow repetition (something which, btw, happens on GW1 during holiday events as well, for the exact same reason) is somehow the exact same thing as creating events that repeat on every single server on an hourly basis?

I don’t even….there are no words for that level of ridiculousness.

They aren’t even remotely the same thing. One is a true one-time event that ends up taking place later on some servers as a design requirement, forced on them by server constraints….and the other is an entirely different structure of event design that more resembles things like the Temple of Balthazar. This is like comparing an apple to a banana and saying they’re the same.

Is this REALLY the best counterargument that can be conjured up against one-time events? That “people missed out and that’s not fair”, and also that “staggering the event across overflow servers is basically the same as making it repeat hourly anyways”? My goodness. Ya know, I was originally pretty heavily against ANet when it comes to this patch, but if this is the sort of logical reasoning being presented by those of us who were dissatisfied with the patch, then I officially change sides starting now. I don’t want to be considered an associate of people who don’t even understand basic things, like the fact that staggering events across servers is something that lots of games do to cut down on their server strain and improve latency. I just….wow. Just wow. I’m sorry mods, I’m trying very hard not to sound mean, but goodness that post is just so….bad. There really isn’t a nice way to point out how absurd this post really is.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

(edited by critickitten.1498)

Posted by: Teep.5376

Teep.5376

I love the game but taking a break because I really dislike the one-time events and will wait and see if they are continuing with this trend. I honestly do not see the value in having customers miss out on content because they have RL responsibilities. Now that we are months into GW2, it goes without saying that everyone looks forward to content. It is the reason I bought gems to support Anet. And, the reason I am stopping for now. I hope Anet will give us an idea if they are going to continue down this path of excluding customers. Until, I hear different, I am not putting any more money into GW2. My gem money this month just went to XCom. I am really curious where it will go next month.

Posted by: Generic.1268

Generic.1268

This about sums up the mentality of the people kittening and moaning. They want the game a certain way and because it’s not that way all hell will break lose letting everyone know how they think it should be.

Not at all. People are complaining that ANet should make better design decisions.

What if ANet only let people whose account names beginning in S, E, and M participate in one-time events? Those letters cover a large number of accounts for starting letters. It would just be selfish of the other account holders to complain about not being included. They chose their own account names and besides, the events are optional so there would be no sense in complaining, right?

If you don’t want to do this, similar to mini-games, map completions, vistas, jumping puzzles, etc., then you don’t have to.

People DO want to do the events and can’t because of ANet’s design decisions.

Posted by: Dnopser.9108

Dnopser.9108

Anet, please do not rush anymore updates. This event was nowhere near your standards. How can companies like yours make such mistakes these days. Please take your time and think things through before releasing them. Best of luck Anet. For now I feel cheated and refuse to play until further changes are made.

Posted by: hoyasaxa.1974

hoyasaxa.1974

critickitten.1498 said:
“Unless you have a good in-world explanation for how a lighthouse can be destroyed, re-built, and destroyed again twelve times in a day? Or how about the massive amounts of destruction that were necessary to drive the ancient karka back into his lair?

Face it, sometimes having something happen ONCE is the only way it’s going to make sense. You can rationalize it as being all about the players and maybe that’s fair to say, but you can’t possibly rationalize it from any sort of in-the-world sense. And that’s precisely why they’re doing one-time events in the first place: to make changes to the world that people can witness and say “I was there”."

Firstly, if a MMO is not supposed to repeat content, then why do dungeons need to be repeated multiple times in order to purchase gear? Somehow the bosses magically come back to life, forget whom they were killed by, and have an extremely limited vocabulary? Part of playing a Massively Multiplayer Game has always been the suspension of disbelief with regard to repeated content. It is that way for a reason, and this is not something that Guild Wars II should try to change. If repeated content ruins your personal immersion in the game, you can choose to ignore it.

Secondly, honestly I don’t think there would be nearly so much drama if the reward were being able to say “I was there.” Even if you got a unique skin or mini-pet, that would seem more fair (leaving out, of course, all of those people [myself included] who were disconnected and/or locked out because of server-side issues). However, the disproportionate nature of the rewards when compared to the rewards for events involving a similar time commitment is fairly staggering, and to say that the reason more people were not given access to said rewards was because you can’t blow up the same mountain twice is rather silly.

A proposed solution: if Guild Wars II is committed to such events only happening once ever, make the event an instance that can be run solo, duo, or in any size group. Make the instance scale in difficulty to the number of people who participate in it. And make it accessible once per account, period. Make the instance available for 24 hours if having it done and complete on all possible accounts in one day is of vital importance to the structure of the game.

Posted by: Teep.5376

Teep.5376

critickitten.1498 said:
“Unless you have a good in-world explanation for how a lighthouse can be destroyed, re-built, and destroyed again twelve times in a day? Or how about the massive amounts of destruction that were necessary to drive the ancient karka back into his lair?

Face it, sometimes having something happen ONCE is the only way it’s going to make sense. You can rationalize it as being all about the players and maybe that’s fair to say, but you can’t possibly rationalize it from any sort of in-the-world sense. And that’s precisely why they’re doing one-time events in the first place: to make changes to the world that people can witness and say “I was there”."

Firstly, if a MMO is not supposed to repeat content, then why do dungeons need to be repeated multiple times in order to purchase gear? Somehow the bosses magically come back to life, forget whom they were killed by, and have an extremely limited vocabulary? Part of playing a Massively Multiplayer Game has always been the suspension of disbelief with regard to repeated content. It is that way for a reason, and this is not something that Guild Wars II should try to change. If repeated content ruins your personal immersion in the game, you can choose to ignore it.

Secondly, honestly I don’t think there would be nearly so much drama if the reward were being able to say “I was there.” Even if you got a unique skin or mini-pet, that would seem more fair (leaving out, of course, all of those people [myself included] who were disconnected and/or locked out because of server-side issues). However, the disproportionate nature of the rewards when compared to the rewards for events involving a similar time commitment is fairly staggering, and to say that the reason more people were not given access to said rewards was because you can’t blow up the same mountain twice is rather silly.

A proposed solution: if Guild Wars II is committed to such events only happening once ever, make the event an instance that can be run solo, duo, or in any size group. Make the instance scale in difficulty to the number of people who participate in it. And make it accessible once per account, period. Make the instance available for 24 hours if having it done and complete on all possible accounts in one day is of vital importance to the structure of the game.

Thank you. Great post.

Posted by: NijAAlba.9615

NijAAlba.9615

For me, this event was a shame for Anet.
I played GW1 for about 5 years and I played GW2 since the first PBE started.
And it was awesome.
Getting the precursors was fair. Sacrifice 4 exotics for a random.
But getting rewarded with about 2 gold (Plus the box, which is awesome) for working 3 hours on an event and then someone comes to hit the boss 10 times at the end and he gets 2 precursors, worth 150 gold.
This is just wrong.
Normal people have to play half a year to get this amount of gold. And some people just get this free?
The second point is about Precursors, not money.
Handing them out in this masses seems not very good.
There was mentioned, that you want more ways to get a precursor: YES, please, but not like this.
Overall, the event itself was amazing, had a nice build-up and a cool little scene, more than teh dragonevents have
But I still feel very bad about this, I imagine how other players got 2 precursors … and I think I would also feel very bad about gotten one in th eevent too.
(For me, there is only 1 way to fix this: Delete the event and rewards and do it another time, because every future attempt will still leave most of the players 150 gold farmed behind these few who just got a higher randomized number, which is a LOT of farm/play/grind, which was, what Anet intent to avoid.)

I hope, the points came through, still an amazing event

Posted by: Quench.7091

Quench.7091

I’m going to quote myself from another thread, because I feel like this is important feedback for future events. It is important for building up content within the game now for new players in the future.

I did not attend any of the one time events, so when I first visited the island my thoughts were:

• These spiders aren’t even a threat. It isn’t like they attacked Lion’s Arch or anything.
  • Why is the Lionguard at this island? They must be helping these other guys build their vacation resort. How nice of them.
  • What the heck is that empty room with the roasted spider and lava for? Oh well. Doesn’t look too important. I’ve seen plenty of spiders on this island.

I didn’t figure everything out until I visited that one Lost Shores recap webpage. It is a bad idea to have deep ties between introductions to new zones and one time events. The introduction to a zone should be either personal story instances or implied through dynamic events and NPCs out in the world. That way if a new player in the future enters the zone they will know what the heck is going on. I can see this zone becoming a problem to new players down the line. Eventually that Lost Shores webpage will get buried in the internet.

Posted by: Omen.1879

Omen.1879

Lost Shores: An honest review.

New Dungeon: Cool
New PvP Map: Cool

— Southsun Cove: Nice to look at. Poorly Executed. —
A great looking zone with next to nothing to keep the player interested. Feels like it was rushed. No prospect of returning to the zone… ever. Basically an almost empty map that is not worth visiting.

— Lost Shores Event: Epic proportions of bad. Poorly executed. —
Where to begin. Lag and broken content prevented a lot of players from even participating properly in the event. The most confusing event I have ever experienced in any game. Not really exciting at all. Felt incomplete and rushed. Most importantly, the final phase played out while most Oceanic players were at work, so GG on that one.

After an epic Halloween event, the best I’ve seen, I had high hopes for The Lost Shores but unfortunately it was not even remotely what it could have been. Extremely poorly executed and an incredibly bad example to showcase for the first free trial event. Put simply, if I participated in a free trial for a game where Lost Shores was the focus I would definitely not buy it.

Hopefully, after such a long wait for Guild Wars 2, Anet will not see this as even remotely hitting the benchmark for future content patches.

As a long long long time Guild Wars fan,

It’s just not good enough.

Posted by: the joezu.6380

the joezu.6380

I loved the events even with the problems with the first one on Friday, and also love the Lost Isles.
But maybe some kind of bug got to me, maybe I was very unlucky, but I had no loot during the 2,5 hours of the final event. I’ve been there the whole time, slaughtered the veterans and champions with the others, but no foe started to sparkle on the floor showing they have shinies for me.
Could anyone clarify if there was an issue like this?

Posted by: WickedSorrow.6139

WickedSorrow.6139

I’m just going to put my feedback here aswell, the thing I’m a little agitated about and maked me stop playing 1 day out of protest (yesterday) is that I’ve played for 48 hours straight in on November 16 to 17 straight, I had to take November 18 off to prepare papers for my jobcoach I live on benefits and I want a job but there’s still a lot of preperation one needs to get things set up for Monday 19’s jobcoach interview. beside of that I was physically exhausted and would have broken my body if I continued to play any longer, but there was no ingame mail stating there was going to be any “Epic One Time Event” untill it was already starting or started… if I had known I might have stayed a while longer, but rather than that I missed out on a “one time epic event” which people looted 20 slot bag and precursors from or atleast some decent exotics.. so thanks a bunch. :o) I really appreciated not being rewarded for my 48 hours playtime straight on. while people log in for 5 minutes prior to the final event and get their rewards straight on while not having participated in anything in phase 1 and 2. I’m not saying it needs a requirement but equal rewards for those that played in prior phases? that’d have been lovely.

What it comes down to in short

• Event Phases and most rewarding phases especially being notified of in game earlier, you can’t expect the community to keep going to your website. I want to play, not go to the website and stick there 24/7 to watch for a notification of anything.
  • Event Phases and most rewarding phases, notify us where (for instance location X) and when (for instance, In X hours).
  • Lenghten final world events to atleast double the time 6 hours would be better than 3. Rerun the event twice if need be, officially the chest was only supposed to be looted once per character anyway.
  • Reward people for their playtime, wether it be in Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3, etc. Don’t start a cheesy one time event that players who haven’t even partipicated in any of the above phases get phat lewt for what players in prior phases should have gotten too but were unable to get due to any number of reasons : for instance being hospitalized.

Regards,
Barthus

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn.” -Benjamin Franklin

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

-snip-

No, sorry, but that argument doesn’t fly. Anything in the game can be grinded and farmed to death, but that doesn’t mean the world has to stop making sense. Dungeons are designed with four or five unique “stories”, and so far as the game is concerned from an IC standpoint, you can only live through each story’s events one time. For example, you can only kill Zhaitan once, ICly, and you get an achievement for it. After that, the game really isn’t acknowledging your victory….almost as if it doesn’t acknowledge the additional runs at all (which is exactly what’s happening). Now, could you repeat Zhaitan fifty times if you want? Absolutely. But no one in game is going to hail you as “that guy who killed Zhaitan fifty times”, because the game has no mechanic in place to recognize that you did it more than once….because, ICly, there is no way to kill him more than once.

The Ancient Karka is clearly meant to function the same way. There’s only one, and once he’s dead, that’s it. It’s them bringing the dungeon philosophy out into the world itself. And I like that. If you don’t, fine and dandy.

-snip-

Firstly, some of the drops WERE uniquely skinned items. The 20-slot box, for example, or the Ancient Karka Shell (which is effectively a weaker version of Triforge).

Second, “disproportionate rewards”? Dude, the event took my server two and a half HOURS and multiple full wipes to complete. That’s a LONG time and a lot of effort for one event chain. The rewards were absolutely befitting the time it took. Had they given people a chest with minimal rewards, people would be screaming bloody murder at them for THAT instead. So basically ANet can’t win with you people, they either provide great rewards and get yelled at, or they provide terrible rewards and get yelled at. Personally I’d rather they give great rewards and let the complainers complain. If I had slogged through 2.5 hours of pain like that and only gotten a few rocks in return, I probably would have never participated in a major event again. The only reason people are complaining about the rewards is because ANet actually hit it right on the money and made an event with worthwhile rewards for once. If all major event chains had better chests (perhaps not to this caliber but much closer), there wouldn’t be nearly this many complaints, period.

Not to mention, I tend to find that the only people who honestly believe the rewards weren’t “fair” were the ones who either didn’t get to participate (and thus have no idea of the hell people went through to get the darn things in the first place) or were those who didn’t get precursors and are crying about it (which is really akin to complaining about someone getting a precursor in any other event, in other words, pointless).

And frankly it’s already gotten old. I didn’t get a precursor in the event, and I’m not even remotely upset about it because I got some shiny stuff that I enjoyed.

-snip-

So instead of running dozens of server instances that were so full that they crashed, your suggestion is for them to create unique instances for every single player….that’s only going to strain the servers MORE.

I’m sorry, this is something that’s not going to be easy for people to swallow, but we need to stop pretending there’s a perfect solution to this and that ANet is just too dumb to figure it out. That’s really not the case. There will be people mad if they change from one-time events to repeatable ones, there are already people mad for the reverse, there would be people mad about your suggestion too. ANet made a decision based on the promises they made to their players before the game’s release, and I actually approve of them sticking to those promises.

You’ve been decently good about this, but a lot of other people’s core argument boils down to “I know people like this, but since I couldn’t participate, I didn’t like it, therefore ANet must change their policy OR ELSE!” and I can’t see any validity in people willing to argue like that. Personally I’d rather that folks like that follow through with their threats to quit, so that those of us who are happy can keep being happy.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: shadymae.5349

shadymae.5349

I came back for this event. Participated for a couple hrs. Lag, confusion and lack of direction is my overall impression. Left and won’t come back for another. In fact GW2 has turned out in general to be a disappointment. Glad there is no sub.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

I feel very sad for Arenanet and the amount of complaints directed at them. Go into the game and ask the people what they think, most of us loved the Lost Shore weekend, it had it’s good bad and ugly but overall it was a great success

I hope arenanet realises the vocal minority is just incredibly vocal and don’t represent the majority.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

This was the worst event I ever recall in my Guild Wars history.

Artwork and music exceeded as always, though.

I was online on friday, waiting for the event to begin. Read the wiki, to know that Lionsarch was going to be invaded. So I stood there in the middle of the great plaza, preparing for karka to launch out of the water and have a great event with things like protecting buildings while they are evacuated and so on.
Nothing happened. No epic cinematic. Not even an NPC running through the city and screaming about people needing help.
A few minutes later I read in the wiki again: A dungeon. OK. Most of my buddies I tend to play GW2 with are preparing to move into their new appartment.
So I log off disappointed.

Next time I log on it’s sunday.
First off: Where will I go? OK, the new island. Where on the new island? No information to find, only guesses in the map-chat.
So I had to the point where the event is supposed to start. It already started and I missed on the firing lasers. Great…

So I join the crowd to protect the bomb-squad.
And here comes one of my biggest issues with the event: If you create mobs, who will insta-kill a large group of players with one attack, except they dodge, then avoid free trial events in that time!
Seriously, how am I supposed to dodge a rolling karka, if it takes two lag-seconds for my character to react to my controls?

OK, let’s continue.
The whole event reduces to: A lot of players die, they respawn and kill what kills them. Over and over again. The crowd starts to shrink as people go off to do something that is fun.
I grind through, hoping that this is the only grind to do.
Next we have to bring down a tree, to make the ancient karka move. Afterwards we shoot it with boulders from geysers we just cleared.
I get my hopes up, this event won’t end up in boring grind…man…these hopes died fast.
Kill the reinforcements. Excuse me, but I need to emphasize this:
The biggest mistake in the whole event: Boring, grinding horde-mode in Guild Wars 2!
If more than a half of the multi-hour-event is repititive, boring horde-mode and enemy-grind, I don’t want it, even if it’s for free.
ArenaNet, rather make a half an our-event which is as creative and varied as usual.
I continued to grind myself through that event.
After we finally brought the ancient karka into the hive, we ran up the spiral destroying webs, until we started to push the ancient karka down the spiral.
And here comes the third point why I disliked this event:
In a game that encourages social play that much, there shouldn’t be an unending wave of exploding hatchlings, that kill everyone who stays back to help the fallen so they can join in on that event again!
I tried to rez a player, so he/she could participate in the event again and got swept off my feet by this absolutely dumb idea of game-design.
The ancient karka went down fast, as the other players just rushed to kill it instead of rezzing. A respawn would have resulted in me missing the event.
And as I pointed out that people would be happy to be rezzed on the spiral, I got dumb comments from the other players.
I’m annoyed by the event for including such a nonsense-mechanic and by all those players who rushed, instead of rezzing. Not just because I missed out on a part of the event, but for all those players who lay there on the spiral.
I was lucky enough to have had a revive orb in my inventory, so I could jump off the spiral down the mass of players, where some nicer players started to rez me.
Still, I only had this dampened “you’re dead”-sound in the backround, missing on the sounds of the dying karka as I lay there.

So, as much as I enjoyed the halloween-event, I don’t need another event like the one time-event from the lost shores-content.

Posted by: caz.9425

caz.9425

Having found an overflow server in europe, after an hour trying to log into the client, i switched from the US, 2 hours in and boom, dc’ed then BOOM, “new build available in 3 mins”

perhaps re-run it for those that didnt get the chest, compensate us in some way?

appease our disgruntled complaints in some type of gesture as i’m losing the motivation to play and actually enjoy the game as i once did.

Posted by: Udolpho.1209

Udolpho.1209

Ignoring that some events I went to were bugged — to me, that wasn’t such a big deal, I just logged in the next day and the quest was working right. But my overall impression was confused and undirected.

I did some of the quests, and got trophies from them — what were they supposed to do? I tried handing them in to the NPC in Lion’s Arch, but that NPC didn’t want them. I was never clear why those quests were there or what the purpose of them was, and there wasn’t any interesting rewards.

I went to the new zone and it leveled me up to 80, but it was just another zone except I couldn’t gather anything because I wasn’t the right level. I didn’t really see any reason to explore that place as a lower level toon.

I hear the dungeon was good, but I wasn’t with a group so I never tried it. And maybe because I missed the first part on Friday, it seemed weird and sudden this invasion of “karka.”

I guess I like the simpler events where there’s a bunch of quests with clear objectives that give you new rewards. Basically I kept scratching my head and eventually gave up and just went about my business as usual.

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

When you run a event where you know that most players are going to die several times you should provide everyone with an instant repair canister in addition to any reward.

Posted by: Black Lotus.1794

Black Lotus.1794

Martin Kerstein.3071:
Please read here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Disconnect-at-the-end-of-Lost-Shores-Event-Read-this

Thank you for giving us some information that you are looking into the issue, and an opportunity to get some rewards. I was very disappointed to of been disconnected several times and then unable to get back on at all until well after the event had concluded.
The idea for a world changing and stunning event is a great idea, however I was concerned for the “One Time Only!” aspect of it. This increased the desire to have as many people as possible participate in the event, but seems to of been difficult for the servers to handle. This aspect is also quite limiting for some of your community. I know of several people who voiced their regrets in missing the event due to prior responsibilities, such as work. I almost feel punished for being a 27 year old gamer.

I have enjoyed your products ever since I first saw Lineage 1. After going through Lineage 1, Lineage 2, Guild Wars 1, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Aion, and now Guild Wars 2 I would hope that people, such as myself, who have followed your company’s products for so long would not be dismissed so easily.

Part of me looks at this event and says, “Why be disappointed you missed out? It is just a game.” Another part cares about the virtual representation of myself in Tyria, and thinks “I am sad I missed out on the bragging rights for felling such a foe, the loot missed out on, and the bragging rights for being there and part of the community that came together to fight off the invader. Perhaps we can try again.”
I can only hope that those who missed it get another chance at it, those who were there and unable to get on are rewarded or given the same chance, and those who farmed the event and got multiple drops due to jumping overflow maps, (filling spaces that others would of cherished greatly) do not speak for all of us.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Lacey Lotus (Darkhaven)

Posted by: Moonset.3975

Moonset.3975

1/2 (I’ll make these shorter in the future:)

Perspective:
My goal was to have fun, and to come away with a few event trinkets. I had fun and encountered few issues. Yes, I fought the Karken for 2.5 hours, loved it, felt lucky it worked, and collected successfully from the chest. The chest was a surprise; I wasn’t expecting much of anything.

What I liked most:

• Trinkets: The ability to obtain something fun from the event, either as a drop or purchased from the BLTP; if I didn’t get the drop I wanted, I could buy one because a number of in-theme items were not overly rare. (Rare drops are great, but it’s nice to come away with something fun even if common.)
  • The Consortium Chests: Dropped in-theme, event only items.
  • Yellow Stars: These really helped in understanding who (NPC’s) were relevant to the event.
  • Something for Everyone: Dungeon(s), Jumping Puzzles, Scavenger Hunt(s), PvE, etc. (Was there anything for PvPers? I’m not one, so I didn’t notice.)
  • Chest: When I opened the chest I was in stunned silence; it was wonderfully unexpected. A couple of nice armor pieces for my guardian, a level 80 accessory my elementalist will adore once she is at level 80, and an awesome 20 slot chest. The in-theme rewards were especially awesome because they were in-theme.

What I consider to be issues:

• Time: Not knowing how long an event would be available (scavenger hunt): 24 hours? 12 hours? The whole weekend? When does the whole Lost Shores event officially end (i.e. when will there be an update that will close all events even if I’m halfway though one)? How long will Lionguard Lyns be accepting tokens?
  • Scavenger Hunts It seems there were two. I like scavenger hunts, completed both, but it seems I didn’t understand which was which. I’ve learned from gaming in general (not just GW) to run around and accept everything before something disappears; in my rush I didn’t realize what destination was for which event. Even so, I still had fun. I still have three hunt items in my inventory – because the NPC didn’t take them away, I assume I either missed something or I’m supposed to turn them in somewhere.
  • Breaking NPC’s: Obviously, whenever an NPC breaks it’s a problem. In the case of a scavenger hunt it ends the hunt without reward; from what I understand Noll was fixed and the event extended. My solution was to wait until it was fixed, then complete the event; this worked well.
  • Lag: In Phase One it was like stop motion, and I know I did hit a Karkan. In Phase Two and Three I was in an overflow and everything was better to the point I really could participate. Of course, no lag at all would be preferable. I found myself wishing for a button to switch off any setting to result in less lag.
  • Picking Up Items: Drops and the chest didn’t stay around long enough; I wish the drops during special events, and chest items, were mailed – especially when there is much lag expected. I don’t know if the Karken during the 12Noon events ever dropped anything for me, as I couldn’t see and by the time I noticed a Karken was down it was also gone.

2/2…

Zero expectations, high hopes. – Moonset

Posted by: Moonset.3975

Moonset.3975

2/2

Mail:
One mail message per event stage is enough: For a three phase event, I had five or more messages (not including Miyani’s penchant for letter writing). One message per Phase with a summarized paragraph for each available event is perfect – I just need something to point me in the right direction, and how much time I have to complete the event. (If I need more information, I would check the wiki/forums/twitter/official page).

Non-issues:

• Not everyone could attend: Not everyone will be able to attend a one-time event no matter what time it is set at, and not everyone will be able to attend even a repeating event all weekend. People have asked for one-time events, and GW seems to offer something for everyone while not everyone can or will take advantage of everything.
  • Personally: It doesn’t matter to me if the event is noon or midnight; I’ll sleep during the day or evening and set my alarm for midnight (or 3am, or 6am, etc.); I already do this normally, in order to keep GW updated and available during the day – it’s how I updated GW for the Lost Shores event.

The Karken Chest:
In the Lost Shores end event, I completed it in 2.5 hours and received the chest. Those who participated and for whatever reason didn’t get the chest should receive something; GW has already stated they will do something although that will take time. However, those who participated for fifteen minutes, declared in map chat that the “lame event sucked” and then left, shouldn’t receive anything (just because they found out afterward there was a prize at the end).

Fractals Dungeon:
Fun – I didn’t complete any and didn’t plan to, but going in and taking a look was great fun.

Jumping Puzzles:
Again, being that JP’s have little reward I didn’t complete these yet, in favour of other events. Having found one and looking for the other, I understand these are staying, and I will complete them as time permits. The one I found (Stepping Stones) I thoroughly enjoyed starting.

TL;DR – Fun event; looking forward to the next one.

Zero expectations, high hopes. – Moonset

Posted by: Lyenyo.2891

Lyenyo.2891

I’m not going to delve into detail but personally I think these “1 time events” are terrible, the content isn’t terrible but making it “1 time only” is terrible.

Why not have it on repeat a few times everyday and make it a permanent feature? (of course you would need to lower the end chest rewards) Speaking of which, I think it’s more terrible that they gave out amazing loot during a “1 time only event”.. have a life? a job? sorry nothing for you.

I enjoyed the content but not the way they delivered it.

edit: if they really wanted to make it 1 time only event with that amazing chest reward at the end, then why not make it a Quest that can only be done once but whenever you like? sort of like a story mission.. I know it will have it’s holes, but it’s an IDEA.

(edited by Lyenyo.2891)

Posted by: miniL.7361

miniL.7361

Personally I enjoyed the event, because of the story and creativity behind it, and as my guess is you got more complaints about it than support, I want to say I think you guys did an outstanding job on the event in general and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

As feedback just read this thread, because I think there have been amazing ideas if you read through the anger bits some people leave behind, but here are some I read and I thought about myself:

1. The event was huge, but whole zergs got whiped -> overkill. A bit of skill needed as to dodging the rolling karka’s in time was fun, but all the AOE over by so much mobs covered the whole area in poison whiping almost everyone, which bring me to the repairs. Gear gets broken pretty fast and is pretty expensive to repair in my oppinion.

2. Drops where nice, but as people crash they didnt recieve theirs, others lagged etc. Drops from bosses through mail like quest system send you your rewards, would be much better. This is also an annoying thing in WVW as you dont wanna run from a zerg, getting a kill and miss ur drop.

3. Precursor drops where nice, and I know they are rare so I think the loot was quite nice as I expect everyone to at least have gotten exotics and rares. Precursor should stay a little rare at least I guess as it aint for a legendary for nothing.

4. The duration of the event was 2 long, think about people their bed time (EU gamers) because of work the next day or school, it was ok for me, but I can imagine the pain having to leave the event when having participated for an hour. Missing the loot and the end battle (which I thought was awesome and funny, rolling down the hill and suddenly back up).

5. Most importantly…. take more time to think these events through. You told us GW2 would come when it’s ready, but now you are delivering content like their is no tomorrow and the worst part is that its buggy. Couldn’t finish the event quests, and ppl left to the island earlier in the event before we had the trebuchet build and the karkas in LA where killed getting everyone who did wait killed.

I rather wait longer (and I think a lot of people with me except for some unpatient kids) and have a great event like this, completed perfectly without bugs and annoying moments and lag, then get rushed into stuff that doesnt feel right.

You did great making us wait for the game release, so please keep that in mind when trying to release events & content. Hell, I rather have no event this christmas and an amazing one that was perfected 1 or 2 months later than bugs at christmas. I am not that easily displeased, but no doubt it would ruin someones christmas.

Just skip the deadlines!

PS: Forgot, same as not making the event 2 long, announce it far before teh weekend with all times so people can plan and schedule for it. I understand some people might have been planning other stuff, missing parts of the event, or the whole event if they where gone for the weekend.

(edited by miniL.7361)

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

personally i think EVERY cosmetic should b able to b bought via black lion ex. cultural armor and rare weapons that are just there for its skin none of the cultural armor is gotten for its stats it sucks its purely a cosmetic item that u want us to spend at least $1,300 in gems to get now and when i was trying to get it $3,200 to get it

Buying game items with real cash (i.e. pay-to-win) is supposed to be a crappy deal, to discourage people from doing it. That way the people who want to play the game to get rewards have an easier time than people who want to bribe the referee.

I am VERY late on responding sorry i have 2 jobs anyways lol paying for cosmetic items does not = pay 2 win learn the meaning pay 2 win gives you an advantage over others what does buying a cosmetic give you over others hmm? Nothing other than i look cooler if what u say went then we couldnt buy costumes or black lion chests when they offered weapon skins

Posted by: Endest.5729

Endest.5729

In short, lost shores is some of the worst “content” I have ever seen in over ten years of MMO experiences.

Bug ridden, lag filled, exclusionary, and worst of all many folks spent hours on it and got no rewards at all. Others, who had the ability to play at Areanet’s convenience and were lucky enough not to get bugged or disconnected, got rewards worth more gold than than many folks will ever see in the game.

I can not think of a worst way to treat customers.

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

2/2

Mail:
One mail message per event stage is enough: For a three phase event, I had five or more messages (not including Miyani’s penchant for letter writing). One message per Phase with a summarized paragraph for each available event is perfect – I just need something to point me in the right direction, and how much time I have to complete the event. (If I need more information, I would check the wiki/forums/twitter/official page).

Non-issues:

• Not everyone could attend: Not everyone will be able to attend a one-time event no matter what time it is set at, and not everyone will be able to attend even a repeating event all weekend. People have asked for one-time events, and GW seems to offer something for everyone while not everyone can or will take advantage of everything.
  • Personally: It doesn’t matter to me if the event is noon or midnight; I’ll sleep during the day or evening and set my alarm for midnight (or 3am, or 6am, etc.); I already do this normally, in order to keep GW updated and available during the day – it’s how I updated GW for the Lost Shores event.

The Karken Chest:
In the Lost Shores end event, I completed it in 2.5 hours and received the chest. Those who participated and for whatever reason didn’t get the chest should receive something; GW has already stated they will do something although that will take time. However, those who participated for fifteen minutes, declared in map chat that the “lame event sucked” and then left, shouldn’t receive anything (just because they found out afterward there was a prize at the end).

Fractals Dungeon:
Fun – I didn’t complete any and didn’t plan to, but going in and taking a look was great fun.

Jumping Puzzles:
Again, being that JP’s have little reward I didn’t complete these yet, in favour of other events. Having found one and looking for the other, I understand these are staying, and I will complete them as time permits. The one I found (Stepping Stones) I thoroughly enjoyed starting.

TL;DR – Fun event; looking forward to the next one.

no offense but you have no life to be able to do that some of us are adults and dont still wear diapers which props on knowing how to type at such a young age