Megaservers and RP

Megaservers and RP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mistwing.3578

Mistwing.3578

And here we go, bump for justice. This thing HAS to stay up front guys. Help me out here.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: UncleOris.1892

UncleOris.1892

Please don’t resort to just “bumping” this for the sake of bumping. Always fill your posts with legitimate discussion-material and concerns – Anything else would devalue what this thread has already accomplished.

As long as we’re able to keep discussing this, Anet will be forced to answer us one day or another.

I for one still believe that they only made this change to save the money from servers that weren’t used to their full potential due to a lack of players. I just can’t get my head around what prompted them to do this change in such a radical and spontanous fashion.

Megaservers and RP

Mistwing.3578

Please don’t resort to just “bumping” this for the sake of bumping. Always fill your posts with legitimate discussion-material and concerns – Anything else would devalue what this thread has already accomplished.

As long as we’re able to keep discussing this, Anet will be forced to answer us one day or another.

I for one still believe that they only made this change to save the money from servers that weren’t used to their full potential due to a lack of players. I just can’t get my head around what prompted them to do this change in such a radical and spontanous fashion.

I don’t see what do we have to discuss anymore. We all agree this was a ridiculous and offensive move from Anet. I don’t want this thread to vanish so i’ll just bump it if i see it plummet to third page.
I don’t think Anet deserves an elaborate post at this point, they had plenty and the best ones coming from you, so forgive me if i try to contribute in a mechanical way.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Synesh.1094

Synesh.1094

I’ll like to keep this post up in the future for any other news or personal experinces releted to the problems this “Overpraised Overflow” seems to cause at the moment. If people stop complain or to expose this problems Anet might as well shrug it off and be off on their merry way. And kill what little is left of communities, of all kind.

This change was already a big problem for the echosystems of any server, we don’t need more changes like this in the future. At the very least we need a major hotfix ASAP, wich should take priority over any Living Story.

Megaservers and RP

Mistwing.3578

If i think of all the content they could have made instead of wasting time and resources on this glorified gimmick to milk more money out of us all….
The worst part is that i can’t shake the feeling that they are clueless about their audience. At this point, what kind of player is Gw2 catering to? Pvper…no. Rper…no…Pver…no. It seems to me that there is no defined vision for this game’s development. They try to be a jack of all trades and end up looking like an headless chicken.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Today I was on Fields of Ruin. It was busy like I had never seen before. With one exception, the map chat comments regarding the mega server were positive. Mega servers are what the general community wants.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

I think they just need to add an RP tag to the list of tags they already use for determining where to put people; server, friends, guild, language, etc. Just add it to the social panel. Easy.

Even better – Let players prioritize their preferences themselves, rather than ranking them purely on the server. In other words if a player would rather be grouped with guildies before friends before server, let them make that call.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

If it doesn’t get fixed, blog about it, sooner or later some gaming ‘news’ website will pick up on it, and the same ‘dying game’ rumor they are trying to avoid will get around.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Malinkij.3561

Malinkij.3561

sadly I´m feeling like some player who is struggeling for the game to succeed, while some production is smashing the game with a hammer.
All the talk how they love their game is nothing but a lie.

I would like to see so many people in cities if not so many would draw out their flashy abilities to make my screen flickering nonstop. It just kills the mood for me.
The first time the atmosphere in towns went almost down was the introduction of culling in PvE. Long loading times for me since then…

PS: still can not use any bench out in the world to SIT down.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I don’t see what do we have to discuss anymore. We all agree this was a ridiculous and offensive move from Anet. I don’t want this thread to vanish so i’ll just bump it if i see it plummet to third page.
I don’t think Anet deserves an elaborate post at this point, they had plenty and the best ones coming from you, so forgive me if i try to contribute in a mechanical way.

I don’t agree, but some players in this thread utterly despise and attack anyone for simply disagreeing or liking the Megaserver, so I quit on trying to reason out my thoughts anymore. It’s not “offensive” on ANet’s part, and they simply shouldn’t reply some random comment for its own sake (especially stating things that they may not be able to deliver.) Also unreasonable conspiracy theories and accusations flying all over, all in the hopes of “getting” their attention. If anything, that may get you ignored, sadly enough.

To be honest, if the megaserver change would inhibit your roleplaying, perhaps you shouldn’t roleplay here anymore. But in my mind, no one stops a roleplayer from roleplaying.

Ultimately, there can always be some tweaks done to improve the way it works or randomizes. Only they know what’s feasible, and surely they are reading this thread, for better or worse-hating posts won’t get you anywhere, really.

(Server mergers are not feasible, BTW. People will complain hard for that, plus each server has a WvW presence, however competitive it may be. I would be the first to say it’s wrong if I was part of Blackgate and a few of my friends were forced to join another server (not necessarily even Blackgate) by killing their server altogether. This game is not necessarily like the others you’ve played. The megaserver thus does make more sense than just merging them together and offending a ton of server loyals-at least you still meet your server friends and keep your WvW identity as it is now.)

I wish the megaserver was shipped with the game at release, just as they said in the April 15th interview, so this kind of server identity crisis problems would have been avoided in the first place, and that people chose servers mostly for WvW or for personal flavor or Guild preference.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

I agree the accusation and paranoia are not the good way to go, and I don’t think taking down the megaserver will be a good thing to do! If anything, taking it down would make ANet look really silly.

However, that does not mean that they cannot or should not try to give us a bit of a helping hand and allow us to play as we like, the RP tag for us that we could select to be grouped with other roleplayers, instead of some random people is enough, I think.

I’m afraid this thread will soon degrade into pointless flaming though.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I agree the accusation and paranoia are not the good way to go, and I don’t think taking down the megaserver will be a good thing to do! If anything, taking it down would make ANet look really silly.

However, that does not mean that they cannot or should not try to give us a bit of a helping hand and allow us to play as we like, the RP tag for us that we could select to be grouped with other roleplayers, instead of some random people is enough, I think.

I’m afraid this thread will soon degrade into pointless flaming though.

Your idea would be MUCH better than megaserver dissolution indeed. Let’s see how it pans out.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Caboose.9056

Caboose.9056

Where do I start… This Megaserver thing is simply terrible.

It may have been a WONDERFUL addition to areas like Orr or the least populated areas of the game… But to make it global was a HUGE mistake. I have been defending the Megaserver idea for the last few weeks since it was announced but I now see how huge of a mistake it was.

Let’s take two examples that happened to me today, during the 2 hours I played the game :
-I’m trying to roleplay, too bad, there are people running around everywhere and I can’t find anybody speaking the language I’m used to roleplay with (french). I’m not reluctant to speak or communicate in any way shape or form with other player, whatever their language, I often find it is a generally fun experience, during dungeons and the such. But the ROLEPLAY COMMUNITY which A.net as constantly disregarded since release is going to suffer A LOT from this. Because I may be confortable with my english, but I’m still going to have a hard time roleplaying in this language. It might be a fun experience but not something I’d even dream to consider for the long run. If nothing is done, I fear that this huge part of your community, that must single handedly man 25% of some of your servers (Piken Square, Jade Sea, etc.) is simply going to fly off to another game… And I really hope this isn’t going to happen. Ever.
-But to top it off, my guild also tried a Bounty Hunt today… Oh boy was that grand ! We just landed in Lornar, and asked in the genral chat if anybody has seen our target and people start speaking in… finninsh in the chat. And then they asked us in English what the hell we were doing on their server, speaking french, which is a sensible reaction to any frog-eater invading your personnal space. However this was not their personnal space. It wasn’t ours either. The answer was simple : it was NO ONE’s ! We managed to communicate with them in the end so it’s no big deal… right ?
Well first let me tell you something : my 9 year old sister LOVE this game. But she’s got the level in English of a (you guessed it) 9 year old ! So what is she supposed to do now ? Find teacher for German / Spanish / Finnish or whatever other language she might stumble upon ? It’s ridiculous !
Secondly, but not less important in any way : when we finally did found our target, it turns out… THE ENTIRE GUILD WASN’T EVEN HERE ! That’s right, people from the same guild, on the same server, speaking the same language, all in each other friends list… FAILED to be able to play together. That’s really the word I want to stress the most from this all story : “FAIL”

Oh and one last thing : BRING BACK TOWN CLOTHES TO THE WAY THEY WERE. Those terrible colors mixed with the impossibility to create combinations with parts of other makes me sick… and give me the horrible impression that I’ve been robbed of an in-game possibility for no apparent reason.

Please A.net. I don’t want to make any petition or anything, but please, come back to your senses and CHANGE THIS. This should be your top priority. Living World can wait, but you HAVE to fix this.

I’m sorry if I’ve been quite harsh or anything, but I’ve really been fighting for this game. I want it to be as good as possible, but I’m really starting to feel like A.net is trying to kill it so they don’t have to go through a massive scandal to close the servers for another game…

Today is a sad day.

[EDIT] I also apologise for the awful lot of grammatical errors in this text by the way.

(edited by Caboose.9056)

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Geckat.6428

Geckat.6428

Just found out Diessa Plateau was added to the list. Discussed this with a friend and I have decided that I am going to start ERPing disgusting, horrible things in /say. It’ll get rid of the trolls in a hurry, and what better protest? Take -that-, megaservers!

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I wonder at what point does appearant arrogance turn into appearant stupidity and stubborness. Regarding Anets stance on the whole pushing out of this system. They look sillier and less and less reliable or even aware of this crapload of problems with every passing hour of no response.

And i dont want to burst any bubbles about bumping threads to keep on the front page, but if the engineer subforums Hobo-sack thread taught me anything, its that it doesnt matter how long you keep a thread up.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Astraea.2981

Astraea.2981

Just found out Diessa Plateau was added to the list. Discussed this with a friend and I have decided that I am going to start ERPing disgusting, horrible things in /say. It’ll get rid of the trolls in a hurry, and what better protest? Take -that-, megaservers!

All that will do is get you a crowd of people taking screenshots, until the GMs ban you.

Megaservers and RP

Geckat.6428

All that will do is get you a crowd of people taking screenshots, until the GMs ban you.

Even if I say “just kidding” at the finish?

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I wonder at what point does appearant arrogance turn into appearant stupidity and stubborness. Regarding Anets stance on the whole pushing out of this system. They look sillier and less and less reliable or even aware of this crapload of problems with every passing hour of no response.

And i dont want to burst any bubbles about bumping threads to keep on the front page, but if the engineer subforums Hobo-sack thread taught me anything, its that it doesnt matter how long you keep a thread up.

This thread is in danger of being ignored by the devs. The reason is that while posters like you are crying about this being the worst thing to happen to the game and surely doom will come upon GW2. When in fact the reality is, the general consensus is that the change was needed. It has breathed new life into many areas that were previously dead, some of these areas have been dead since day one.

Instead of being over dramatic and declaring a post mortem on GW2, you may want to tone down your rhetoric. Instead of castigating the devs, you should work with them to let them know how it affects you and then be patient. Most likely, none of the changes you want will come in the next three months, it just won’t be possible.

Your haranguing the devs will only cause this thread to be taken less serious than it could be.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Ilthuain.5634

Ilthuain.5634

I’m a TC roleplayer in an RP guild, and I think the Megaserver has fantastic potential. We do comedy performances in places that aren’t traditionally RP strongholds, and for the most part, our most grateful audiences have been non-RPers. With populated maps we’ll draw larger crowds.

Also, it’ll be cool to introduce RP to new folks.

I don’t think it’s going to be better for everybody, but some of us see this as a huge opportunity.

Thorgrim Dazzlehand [HaHa] – the Player King of Tarnished Coast
http://harlotsandharlequins.enjin.com/

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Alright, agreed, but i won’t let this thread fall off front page. If i have to be denied it’s one thing, but to be ignored, that, i won’t stand for.
So keep bumping this thread my rp brothers.

I agree on this, we must keep this thread on front page, at least to show Anet that we are serious, and not complaining lightly.

All of these threads SHOULD have been sticky’d- I think they they hope it will disappear to the back pages.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Hystery.8415

Hystery.8415

So we officially have the answer now. Two days ago someone was wondering what would happen in the case of a bounty hunt for a guild. Well, apparently it fails.

Really, this megaserver thing is a fail in every aspect.

Piken Square RPer ~ Growl Bladeskin (Charr, Zerk Warrior 80) |
Aelius Brightmane (Charr, Zerk Grenade Engineer, 80) |
Tilaw Stainsoul (Charr, Zerk Staff Elementalist, 80) | Evi Shadowstep (Charr, Zerk Ranger 80) |

Megaservers and RP

Geckat.6428

I’m a TC roleplayer in an RP guild, and I think the Megaserver has fantastic potential. We do comedy performances in places that aren’t traditionally RP strongholds, and for the most part, our most grateful audiences have been non-RPers. With populated maps we’ll draw larger crowds.

Also, it’ll be cool to introduce RP to new folks.

I don’t think it’s going to be better for everybody, but some of us see this as a huge opportunity.

Most people don’t view RP as a performance. It’s a story, often a long-standing one, and in this environment, that sort of thing just -becomes- a comedy performance, because all of these people from non-RP servers are going “lol wut r these nerds doing get a life”

As far as introducing new people to RP, we did that before. It was called guesting to Tarnished Coast.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I honestly can’t come up with a reason as to why nobody from Anet has responded to this thread, after the patch went live.

But if I had to try and find some shred of a reason, I’d have to go with this: They hope, collectivly, that this thread dies soon. The faster the better.

That way, they don’t even have to come and answer us. They won’t have to explain themselves. They can just keep pretending that everything is amazing.

I’m baffled that Dev’s these days don’t seem to understand one really important factor: The short-term costumers won’t bring you kitten. They might bump your playerbase for a few weeks, hell, maybe even 2 months. But what’s after that? The most loyal playerbase any MMORPG can have will be so kittened off that they left the sinking ship a long time ago – just to be mistreated somewhere else, eventually.

But for that – and for the effects of it, it’s only you who is to blame, Anet. But what’s a loyal customer-base when you can have short, easy cash with buzzwords and less actual service. Got dat patchmoney, eh?

We will see how long this can keep going.

It’s actually common practice in community management to isolate and ignore complaints until posters get tired of themselves and give up. Every major fiasco in modern gaming has been handled this way (a certain city-builder, a sci-fi high fantasy game, and an ancient history battle simulator all come to mind). And since it works, I don’t see the practice changing.

If you don’t acknowledge a problem, it doesn’t exist.

+1 (more if I could.
This exactly what Anet is doing. Too bad they can’t take a second to acknowledge the discontent.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

I honestly can’t come up with a reason as to why nobody from Anet has responded to this thread, after the patch went live.

But if I had to try and find some shred of a reason, I’d have to go with this: They hope, collectivly, that this thread dies soon. The faster the better.

That way, they don’t even have to come and answer us. They won’t have to explain themselves. They can just keep pretending that everything is amazing.

I’m baffled that Dev’s these days don’t seem to understand one really important factor: The short-term costumers won’t bring you kitten. They might bump your playerbase for a few weeks, hell, maybe even 2 months. But what’s after that? The most loyal playerbase any MMORPG can have will be so kittened off that they left the sinking ship a long time ago – just to be mistreated somewhere else, eventually.

But for that – and for the effects of it, it’s only you who is to blame, Anet. But what’s a loyal customer-base when you can have short, easy cash with buzzwords and less actual service. Got dat patchmoney, eh?

We will see how long this can keep going.

It’s actually common practice in community management to isolate and ignore complaints until posters get tired of themselves and give up. Every major fiasco in modern gaming has been handled this way (a certain city-builder, a sci-fi high fantasy game, and an ancient history battle simulator all come to mind). And since it works, I don’t see the practice changing.

If you don’t acknowledge a problem, it doesn’t exist.

yup. this has been standard practice for how they’ve behaved on the WvW forums as well. Bug reports, complaints, suggestions to improve the systems already in place, all get ignored. At best, they give some token lip service, or the sham CDI’s. All hype, zero action. Even for something as simple as the ability to have different colored commander tags….. nothing. They’ve been hand delivered solutions, and have ignored it all. When they do post something (once every few months), it usually shows a complete lack of knowledge on the subject. They say “soon”, and make excuse after excuse, and after a year and a half, the game is actually worse off than it originally began. The issues get beaten to death by the community, and they just act as though none of it, or even us, exist. Yet they go and tell other portions of the playerbase and potential new players how much they “value the community” and that portion of the players eat it up and defend them, because those players just haveen’t happend to have asked for anything yet. The instant they do ask, they get an eye opening dose of reality. It’s not something I see changing any time soon, and it’s not something ANY paying customers should EVER have to put up with.

(edited by Phantom.8130)

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Omap.8530

Omap.8530

(so guild up RP folks!)

genius, in order to save Anets precious time, we must create a guild of every RPer on the server, that way, we’re put in high priority to be with each other. like a server, inside the megaserver.

This content patch has been a mess from the very start and it just shows how much Arena Net are disconnected with their player base.

Instead of ever giving a server a clear designation, or in this new system, a way to designate yourself as an RPer, lets just make sure that new players who want to RP have as hard a time as possible finding eachother.

And instead of adding more town clothes to the store you can mix and match, lets axe the whole system, make them unable to be dyed, and only last 15 minutes. might as well make the potion take up an inventory space as well so you have to lug it around instead of leaving it equipped.

I spent 800 gems on the cook outfit? too bad, have to wear the whole thing or nothing.

but it’s easy to see why Arenanet loves this megaserver thing. “Cross-server guilds can play together!” yet the systems for this were already in the game. “Zones will have more people to do events!” and yet the events already scaled well to however many people you had doing them. This megaserver shenanigans was made for one reason, to incorporate very low pop servers into higher pop ones, (without calling them mergers, because that means your MMO is dying.) and to be able to point at their game and say “Look! We’re all full pop all the time! Look how well our game is doing!”

Megaservers are an awful idea because they undermine the core idea of an MMO in the first place; Community. the people of Tarnished Coast and I’m sure other servers identify themselves as from those servers. TC has a wvw website and an RP website. we like to see other people and guilds we know are from our server because they’re from OUR server. that is broken now, and people like me who like random RP are thrown out to the curb because there is no guarantee I’ll ever meet them again unless I either add every single person I meet to my friends list, or put my blind faith in this new system that I already don’t like.

Rata Sum is an absolute mess to RP in now. there are people everywhere spamming abilities and gawking at RPers.

but that’s elitist! players shouldn’t conform to RPers! they can do what they want and you need to ignore them if you don’t like it!

and that’s the whole problem. Tarnished coast has been known as the unofficial RP server so people who liked RP could be with other people who also liked RP. the entire notion of megaservers and fuzzy lines between the games populations stomps all over this, and everyone who’s been a faithful player and customer for the last year and half.

I fully expect Anet to completely ignore all complaints anyone has about this and continue to roll out this abomination of a server system. The only people who want this are people who are on very low pop servers, and Anets stubborn pride has made them do this and screw over long term players instead of solving the problem with mergers or (God forbid) letting extreme low pop server players transfer without paying gems.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Ilthuain.5634

Ilthuain.5634

Most people don’t view RP as a performance. It’s a story, often a long-standing one, and in this environment, that sort of thing just -becomes- a comedy performance, because all of these people from non-RP servers are going “lol wut r these nerds doing get a life”

As far as introducing new people to RP, we did that before. It was called guesting to Tarnished Coast.

Yeah, I’m not exactly a noob when it comes to RP, I just wanted to show that some of us actually dig the new system and see it as an opportunity.

We’ve had our performances trolled with the “lol nerds” people. We ignore them (or play along with the heckle). I can only imagine that it’s even easier to ignore trolls if you’re not trying to control a stage or entertain dozens of people. Just don’t respond… or do, and make it part of your scene. These people existed on TC before and I’m not convinced that this problem will be pervasive enough to destroy RP.

And yes, people guested and we introduced those people to some fun RP. That was great. Now there will be a larger pool, and some of those people haven’t even considered RPing will get to see it and maybe get a taste for it. There will be some culture shock, but there will also be some huge positives, depending on what your goals are.

Thorgrim Dazzlehand [HaHa] – the Player King of Tarnished Coast
http://harlotsandharlequins.enjin.com/

Megaservers and RP

Omap.8530

Yeah, I’m not exactly a noob when it comes to RP, I just wanted to show that some of us actually dig the new system and see it as an opportunity.

We’ve had our performances trolled with the “lol nerds” people. We ignore them (or play along with the heckle). I can only imagine that it’s even easier to ignore trolls if you’re not trying to control a stage or entertain dozens of people. Just don’t respond… or do, and make it part of your scene. These people existed on TC before and I’m not convinced that this problem will be pervasive enough to destroy RP.

And yes, people guested and we introduced those people to some fun RP. That was great. Now there will be a larger pool, and some of those people haven’t even considered RPing will get to see it and maybe get a taste for it. There will be some culture shock, but there will also be some huge positives, depending on what your goals are.

I think the main problem here is that Roleplayers who might want to be able to see your show may not be able to because they’re in some kind of pseudo “overflow.” Sure, people will see it. but even if you post an event somewhere saying you’re having this, unless you group up with every single person wanting to attend there’s no guarantee that they will be in the same zone as you.

that’s the biggest problem with this. It’s not clear how you get into a server with like minded people, because the concept of a “server” and “homeworld” are blurry now. There’s no guarantee that that person who attended your show and got into RP will ever see you again.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Shyhalu.4891

Shyhalu.4891

I really like the new changes. Seeing the world come alive even more than it did before is lively and a welcome change. Hopefully those of you who are struggling to find an RP outlet can learn to adapt to this new situation. I mean, PvPers have to adapt to new builds and class balance and Pve’ers have had their dungeon rewards curtailed, so RPers too will have to deal with changes.

How kitten arrogant. You’re oblivious to what exactly this patch did to our community, aren’t you? The grounds on which we played this game were taken away from us and you’re comparing it to skill changes? Seriously?

You’re comparing our community being torn apart, being unable to play a certain way, to something that’s not even a slight inconvenience? How disgusting.

If anything you’re the one that is acting entitled to something that you really aren’t. If you can’t hold your community together without A-net modifying their game to fit your needs, then I don’t know what to tell you. Just because you can’t understand that everyone is adapting to things implemented with the advent of Megaservers and patch changes, doesn’t mean that they aren’t.

Megaservers and RP

Omap.8530

If anything you’re the one that is acting entitled to something that you really aren’t. If you can’t hold your community together without A-net modifying their game to fit your needs, then I don’t know what to tell you. Just because you can’t understand that everyone is adapting to things implemented with the advent of Megaservers and patch changes, doesn’t mean that they aren’t.

The problem here is that Anet is doing everything physically possible to destroy any sense of community in this game. So before we start throwing around the word “entitled” lets all take a step back and remember it’s never nice to throw your long term players under the bus, then ignore them when they complain about it.

Anet should be doing everything they can to make servers feel like their community, and instead they’re making it into a broken family. If you look at these changes and think making a huge guild with every RPer in it is a solution to this problem and that as players Anet owes us nothing you are completely delusional.

Megaservers and RP

Shyhalu.4891

Then maybe instead of trying to plead with A-net for the sake of RPers you should plead with them for the sake of community as a whole. It just sounds very clique-ish when you act like RPers are the only ones (or even the majority group) affected by the server mergers or mega servers or whatever.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Serezenith.3501

Serezenith.3501

The situation isn’t really comparable, Shyhalu.

It would be more like if they removed Heart of the Mists and structured arenas and put all the PvPers on a one big, eternally overflowing map with WvWers and PvEers, then flagged everyone as hostile and said, “There you go! This is how PvP is going to be from now on.”

I don’t doubt that there are some people who want world PvP to be the default, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. It would be a little more diplomatic on ArenaNet’s part to cater to all styles of play, rather than spiting one to encourage the other. All that does is turn the community against one another.

Megaservers and RP

Omap.8530

Then maybe instead of trying to plead with A-net for the sake of RPers you should plead with them for the sake of community as a whole. It just sounds very clique-ish when you act like RPers are the only ones (or even the majority group) affected by the server mergers or mega servers or whatever.

I can’t argue for everyone, but even if I wasn’t and RPer, I’d like to be able to assume with a reasonable degree of accuracy that when I log into the game, I have a chance of seeing people who are familiar to me, and not a bunch of people I’ve never met every time I play. Even if they’re not my friend, but just passing acquaintances.

Megaservers and RP

Geckat.6428

I’ve tried to RP in the “new” BC. I had to block about twenty people just so I didn’t get lost in an overflow of inane chatter in /say. Furthermore, the people I was planning on RPing with took three and four tries to get into the same instance as I was in. These problems are consistent with my friends, and consistent here, so I honestly don’t know what experiences your optimism is coming from. Yes, it is killing RP; I’ve seen it first hand over and over during these last few days I’ve tried, and time and time again, my friends and I have not been able to find anything even when RPers are online and on our list and area, and it’s not at all for lack of trying.

Frankly, anyone who wants to RP has already come into RP through that tiny bit of effort. You’re not going to get any decent writers at all by recruiting randoms who have never even heard of roleplay before. You’ll get a handful who are interested but if they haven’t considered it enough to make the effort and guest to an RP server to see, they’re not going to be interested enough to commit to a whole storyline. And, on the off-chance that they are, you’re never going to see them again anyway unless you invite this brand new RPer into your guild. Most of us aren’t comfortable with that.

I’m glad your experiences so far have been good, but I’ll be interested to see how long your optimism can hold up; I don’t know anyone else who thinks RP can survive at all the way things are now.

(edited by Geckat.6428)

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: kuscheldrow.6415

kuscheldrow.6415

They’re just going on adding maps to the megaserver.
I wonder how long they’ll hesitate to take Tequatl away from us, as well as the worm too.
They’re convinced that everything works nicely… Well we know that it is not, but are our words of ANY worth to them? I don’t think so. I really lost my believe, yet my hope.

So once PvP is done and Tequatl is gone this limits my playing time to 15 minutes a day it takes to complete my daily, and nothing more, because I’m sick with what the megaserver is doing to the game, and everything else has not the strengh to keep me logged in if I can’t have RP if I wanted to, and right now it is impossible.
Not to mention the Gems I won’t need anymore.

Trahearne <3

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’ve had though like that once. And then they had closed the first mammoth ascended gear thread, with an information they have all the feedback they wanted and don’t need any more. Current lack of response to any of the concerns raised on this forum due to last changes doesn’t bode well for future.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Forst.5863

Forst.5863

What the blazing hell is wrong with people who come in here and tell RPers to stop complaining. Let me line out how that generally goes:

Arenanet: “Here is this feature we think improves the game.”
RPers: “This feature is making our preferred playstyle impossible.”
Random idiot: “Stop complaining, others are affected too.”

O…kay. So…?

A word on entitlement:
With an MMO being an ongoing thing where Arenanet tries to generate income from us over the initial price of game-acquisition…
Let me enlight you how capitalism works:
We demand.
A provider can then either supply or not.
He who supplies will have revenue, he who does not, does not.

Arenanet being a capitalistic company and we being customers, us demanding is really the most basic and desired form of interaction with Arenanet. “Feedback” is nothing but demand. This demand could be “continue as you do”, but currently it is: “Enable RPers to play on the same shard.”

Legit as kitten.

(edited by Forst.5863)

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

If you start demanding, they’ll close the thread, simply cause you’re “not following the forum’s rules and policy, and you’re being impolite”…

That’s why we have the choice to leave and cut our support towards them. When the <@#$!?> hit the fan, they’ll beg us to return, but it’ll be too late.

It’s funny, really.. I’m “playing” on the forum a lot more than “in – game” since the Skynet plague…

They say that hope dies last, so maybe……maybe A-Net will wake up and see the iceberg approaching the ship, before it’s too late.

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

Megaservers and RP

Phantom.8130

It’s a roleplaying game. It’s right there in the title. What you’re saying is akin to “hockey players shouldn’t be welcome in the NHL”. Whether you like it or not, this is the RPer’s genre. Where are many other genres for those who despise roleplayers, yet the MMORPG is the one where roleplayers are continuously treated as second best, by both developers and players who would be a far more natural fit in one of the other genres. if people came in and tried to treat the existing players in say, HALO this way, no one would put up with it. but because it’s roleplayers, it’s been accepted. Attitudes such as yours are part of the problem, and is the reason MMOs are a joke these days. They’re cheap cash grabs, that have betrayed their roots. Because those who built the genre keep getting pushed out in favor of idiots with their parents credit cards. If it wasn’t for roleplayers, you wouldn’t have ANY MMORPG to play. Show some respect to those of us who built a genre for people like you to destroy.

Megaservers and RP

Mistwing.3578

It’s a roleplaying game. It’s right there in the title. What you’re saying is akin to “hockey players shouldn’t be welcome in the NHL”. Whether you like it or not, this is the RPer’s genre. Where are many other genres for those who despise roleplayers, yet the MMORPG is the one where roleplayers are continuously treated as second best, by both developers and players who would be a far more natural fit in one of the other genres. if people came in and tried to treat the existing players in say, HALO this way, no one would put up with it. but because it’s roleplayers, it’s been accepted. Attitudes such as yours are part of the problem, and is the reason MMOs are a joke these days. They’re cheap cash grabs, that have betrayed their roots. Because those who built the genre keep getting pushed out in favor of idiots with their parents credit cards. If it wasn’t for roleplayers, you wouldn’t have ANY MMORPG to play. Show some respect to those of us who built a genre for people like you to destroy.

Amen to that. About time someone reminded people where all this comes from.
If it wasn’t for RPers this genre would have never existed. Yet we have to feel like “unwanted guests” most of the time.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

I really like your posts, friend…

The sad part, is that i can’t log in and play anymore.. Different instance fiasco our friends/guildsmates are tossed into, Tower of Babel, and of course having to endure 300+ players in one area who either troll me, or “kill” my character “IC wise”. My PC can’t handle the stress either, and aside from one character who was left in Queensdale after an RP event, my other roster is inaccessible.. As for Queensdale? It’ll get the Skynet plague soon enough, so it’ll be the end.

I do hope A-net wakes up soon.. There are other games to RP, but i won’t leave Guild Wars willingly, as i had much fun prior to the patch.

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: ArchCalder.3258

ArchCalder.3258

I do hope A-net wakes up soon.. There are other games to RP, but i won’t leave Guild Wars willingly, as i had much fun prior to the patch.

This.

It’s been said over and over again to the point where we are continuing to beat it to death with a stick; don’t turn your back on your players. ANet may have the best intentions in mind (pfft), but they simply aren’t delivering what the players want. It’s understandable that you can’t satisfy everyone, but this patch has been a big birdie in the faces of roleplayers who make up a large percentage of gem store customers.

Supply is low, demand is high. Sooner or later, the demand will be too great, and those demanding will leave for someone who can supply.

If ever there was a ticking time bomb, it couldn’t be any more noticeable now.

ANet, you can prevent the bomb from detonating. The main reason why the RP community is in such an uproar (and many non-RP communities as well, it seems) is that the communities have been unwillingly separated from each other. Fix this with RP tags, multiple districts (GW1), a working “Join” feature, or anything else that can bring these communities together.

I’ve been a fan of GW since it launched in 2005. Did some of the updates not meet my expectations? Of course there were several, but back then, I felt like I was being listened to. And I’m sure all players have at some point or another. But now… I don’t feel that way anymore. You snuffed the light of the last lantern, and I’ve been feeling lost since.

You used to care for your customers, once. I’m not sure if you do now, because you have a funny way of showing it. We don’t want to leave because we have had too many fond memories in this game. But, if we don’t feel the care and trust that you used to give us, then…

I can’t even finish that sentence. ANet, this is no longer the game of the players; it is the game of the company. This is what hurts the most. If you have to change something for revenue purposes, fine. But don’t hurt your playerbase doing so.

Megaservers and RP

Shyhalu.4891

I am fine with as many personal insults as you’d like to throw at the rest of the community that isn’t one of your precious RPers. If you all want to hold hands and pat each other on the back over how wronged you have been and how you are the true reason that MMORPGs exist, then go ahead. It isn’t true, but if that is what this thread is for, then I’ll leave you to your hand holding.

I have played plenty of MMORPGs and participated in RP events and I haven’t seen this level of ‘poor us’ in a long time. I support everyone who said that they are in favor of keeping COMMUNITIES together.. of all sorts.. but not those who feel that RPers are the special children deserving of extra attention and catering too.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

There is a major population of RPers in this game, and their/our right to play the game as they please is just as important as the everyday player’s. RPers require other RPers to create a complete experience, whereas a normal player has the ability to interact with a number of different players at different times. For RPers to flourish they must interact with other RPers, the average player (and many RPers also play the game normally sometimes) can interact or not interact with other people whose goals tend to be different oftentimes.

In other words, the average player teams up with other players to interact with content, and often have fun by making friendships and joining social guilds where specific people are important. RPers, on the other hand, interact with other players most of the time as their primary mode of game interaction. Much of their content stems from other players. This is unlike the average player’s experience, which, while enhanced by other player’s presence, is open to a variety of different peoples’ playstyles and attitudes. A roleplayer requires another person who is playing in a roleplaying manner to interact properly. That is why it is important that some solution be met; stranded roleplayers or roleplayers who would like to meet random others in an organic manner outside of guild planning have their options limited.

The oft-asked for ‘roleplaying tag’, whether it be something above the head or something that helps sort people into different megaservers, seems to be a fairly good idea. The fact that Anet has made this thread the official RP thread seems to indicate that they at least notice a possible problem with the megaserver system in this case. I have hopes that this problem can be resolved. There’s no need to be over dramatic about this, as it is true that the large majority of players are not roleplayers. Anet has said time and again that their goal is not to please every single person. However, this situation calls for a follow up response by Anet where they address the issue to greater effect. As this was a large update, I personally would ask people to be patient as Anet rolls into overdrive working on fixing bugs and meeting player account issues.

Megaservers and RP

Phantom.8130

I am fine with as many personal insults as you’d like to throw at the rest of the community that isn’t one of your precious RPers. If you all want to hold hands and pat each other on the back over how wronged you have been and how you are the true reason that MMORPGs exist, then go ahead. It isn’t true, but if that is what this thread is for, then I’ll leave you to your hand holding.

I have played plenty of MMORPGs and participated in RP events and I haven’t seen this level of ‘poor us’ in a long time. I support everyone who said that they are in favor of keeping COMMUNITIES together.. of all sorts.. but not those who feel that RPers are the special children deserving of extra attention and catering too.

This pattern of people coming in, saying everyone’s wrong, insulting everyone, then trying to act like they’re the ones being mistreated when they get put in their place is getting tiresome. I miss the old shills, they at least made this tapdance interesting.

/awaiting yet another infraction

(edited by Phantom.8130)

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: VoiceOfUnreason.5976

VoiceOfUnreason.5976

The fact that Anet has made this thread the official RP thread seems to indicate that they at least notice a possible problem with the megaserver system in this case.

No one made this the official RP thread. In fact, there is no official RP feedback thread, as indicated in this list here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feature-Patch-Feedback-Thread-list/

It’s very likely they’ll use that sticky as another excuse to ignore us. Even though this thread has more views and replies than their other feedback threads, including the one about Megaservers.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: VoiceOfUnreason.5976

VoiceOfUnreason.5976

This pattern of people coming in, saying everyone’s wrong, insulting everyone, then trying to act like they’re the ones being mistreated is getting tiresome. Bring me some better shills.

/awaiting yet another infraction

Frankly, I agree with you. Thread derailment happens at least every 3 pages here from people like that.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

The fact that Anet has made this thread the official RP thread seems to indicate that they at least notice a possible problem with the megaserver system in this case.

No one made this the official RP thread. In fact, there is no official RP feedback thread, as indicated in this list here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Feature-Patch-Feedback-Thread-list/

It’s very likely they’ll use that sticky as another excuse to ignore us. Even though this thread has more views and replies than their other feedback threads, including the one about Megaservers.

What I meant by ‘official’ was that they’re directing other threads about Megaservers + RPers to this thread, not that they built it themselves.

Megaservers and RP

Shyhalu.4891

Yes how dare I believe that RPers should be treated just like any other player of GW2. The inhumanity. Maybe there needs to be a new thread for keeping communities of people together, instead of just RPers.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Forst.5863

Forst.5863

Riiiight, let me reiterate once more:
1. You have here a thread of customers of a service provider telling that service provider how they want said service to be while pointing out that part of the service they initially paid for is no longer provided.
2. You come in and tell them they are whining.

One question and one example to you:
1. What are you actually trying to accomplish?
2. Imagine there was a cable provider. He restructures his network, suddenly some people are no longer getting the sports channel. They complain that they no longer get the sports channel though that is why they got the cable package in the first place.
You, in this thread, that is as if you went to those people and said: “Stop whining just because your sports’ community doesn’t get its channel anymore. Everyone else is getting their film and cartoon channels.”

Once again: What is your motivation to post in this thread?

Megaservers and RP

Phantom.8130

Riiiight, let me reiterate once more:
1. You have here a thread of customers of a service provider telling that service provider how they want said service to be while pointing out that part of the service they initially paid for is no longer provided.
2. You come in and tell them they are whining.

One question and one example to you:
1. What are you actually trying to accomplish?
2. Imagine there was a cable provider. He restructures his network, suddenly some people are no longer getting the sports channel. They complain that they no longer get the sports channel though that is why they got the cable package in the first place.
You, in this thread, that is as if you went to those people and said: “Stop whining just because your sports’ community doesn’t get its channel anymore. Everyone else is getting their film and cartoon channels.”

Once again: What is your motivation to post in this thread?

i’m not saying i’m answering your question or anything, but i’mo just set this down right here and let people draw their own conclusions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill