Megaservers and RP

Megaservers and RP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shyhalu.4891

Shyhalu.4891

I was hoping that this ‘RPer’ only thread could maybe branch out and recognize that there are other communities that may have been separated as a result of the introduction of Megaservers. Maybe instead of making a clique-ish thread about the injustices done to RPers there could have just been a thread about breaking up gaming communities. However, since the RPers here want to toss around personal insults I’m going to hop on over to a different thread and make some dinner Tootles.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Kallandra.2610

Kallandra.2610

Since the Megaserver hit I’ve had to start blocking people I got quite upset last night due to random people shouting that roleplay was all about non-consentual physical relations (I won’t actually repeat what was said) and that we were all sick, and how dare we roleplay on ‘their’ server. Also, I’ve no idea where the rest of my RP friends were as we got separated in to different instances.

(edited by Kallandra.2610)

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: UncleOris.1892

UncleOris.1892

A french moderator can be qouted saying the following:

“We are working on the language-problem. We don’t know if and when these changes can be implemented.”

See here: https://forum-fr.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/game/Megaserveur-et-de-ses-cons-quences-sujets-fusionn-s/page/2#post205202

So, apparently, they can’t even guarantee to fix something so unbelievably simple.

How are they supposed to fix anything, then? It just proves the “system” to be absolutely random. It doesn’t even seem to have ANY metrics what so ever.

(edited by UncleOris.1892)

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Faylinn.3280

Faylinn.3280

I think this has only been a detriment to RP. As good as the idea sounds, it only made me block more people since the update. The problem is that other people from servers aren’t used to RP, and endlessly think it’s funny to troll RP without end. I really think megaservers should be taken down until a better solution is found. It’s better to just guest and find more people that way then deal with trolls and people just being jerks.

~Tarnished Coast Forever <3~
Proud Elementalist of [PiNK]

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Omap.8530

Omap.8530

A french moderator can be qouted saying the following:

“We are working on the language-problem. We don’t know if and when these changes can be implemented.”

See here: https://forum-fr.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/game/Megaserveur-et-de-ses-cons-quences-sujets-fusionn-s/page/2#post205202

So, apparently, they can’t even guarantee to fix something so unbelievably simple.

How are they supposed to fix anything, then? It just proves the “system” to be absolutely random. It doesn’t even seem to have ANY metrics what so ever.

As far as I can tell, it works something like this.

You have your high pop homeworlds, and your low pop, and everything in between.

When you join a zone, it dumps you in with enough people randomly from every single server until the zone is full.

There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. my friends have been slotted into different servers than me, and I’ve seen people from random servers, even ones TC is fighting in WvW all running around rata sum.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Kate Soulguard.7132

Kate Soulguard.7132

Question, is the roleplay issue officially here? Or do we double up our posts here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Game-Updates-Guild-World-Events-Megaservers-WvW

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

Question, is the roleplay issue officially here? Or do we double up our posts here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Game-Updates-Guild-World-Events-Megaservers-WvW

Judging by the infractions I’ve gotten in this thread, I know the mods are reading this one, but it would probably be better to post in that thread as well.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Ilthuain.5634

Ilthuain.5634

I’ve tried to RP in the “new” BC. I had to block about twenty people just so I didn’t get lost in an overflow of inane chatter in /say. Furthermore, the people I was planning on RPing with took three and four tries to get into the same instance as I was in. These problems are consistent with my friends, and consistent here, so I honestly don’t know what experiences your optimism is coming from. Yes, it is killing RP; I’ve seen it first hand over and over during these last few days I’ve tried, and time and time again, my friends and I have not been able to find anything even when RPers are online and on our list and area, and it’s not at all for lack of trying.

It’s not killing RP. Get a hold of yourself. You may have to make some changes to get the type of RP you’re looking for, but it’s still there. I was just in the Grove, and people are RPing there. I guess nobody told them that RP is dead. Maybe I should tell them that my optimism is unfounded…

Also, we’re +2 days from patch. Matching friends to the same instance might be a little rocky. Being in an RP guild makes it much easier.

Frankly, anyone who wants to RP has already come into RP through that tiny bit of effort..

Oh please. There are people who are fine RPers who have different priorities in GW2 and just haven’t gotten around to RPing. Believe it or not, some people are even a little intimidated to RP because of the insular groups and fear of appearing clueless about GW lore. A coworker of mine, who has been doing tabletop for 30 years, is intimidated by online RP. He’s interested, but feels uninvited. Perhaps if it was happening around him, it would be easier to join in.

You’re not going to get any decent writers at all by recruiting randoms who have never even heard of roleplay before. You’ll get a handful who are interested but if they haven’t considered it enough to make the effort and guest to an RP server to see, they’re not going to be interested enough to commit to a whole storyline. And, on the off-chance that they are, you’re never going to see them again anyway unless you invite this brand new RPer into your guild. Most of us aren’t comfortable with that.

Well, that might be a problem with your expectations. We invite new people all the time. Some aren’t exactly Cormac McCarthy, but then again, neither are the DR nobles. I don’t think we’re trying to win any awards here, just have some good times.

I’m glad your experiences so far have been good, but I’ll be interested to see how long your optimism can hold up; I don’t know anyone else who thinks RP can survive at all the way things are now.

It entirely depends on what you’re looking for. I don’t need/want a hermetically sealed environment for my RP, so I’ll be just fine. I guess we will see how many other people adapt and form RP guilds.

Thorgrim Dazzlehand [HaHa] – the Player King of Tarnished Coast
http://harlotsandharlequins.enjin.com/

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Forst.5863

Forst.5863

blablablablabla

You failed to understand the problem entirely.
The problem is this, and this exactly:

By RPers being no longer bound to land on the same map as they used to when they could pick the map of “the unofficial RP server” on purpose, the chances to run into RPers who are utter strangers to you randomly outside of the cities are diminished.

ps.: When the random assignment is applied to the cities, the same would be true for cities.

(edited by Forst.5863)

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Ilthuain.5634

Ilthuain.5634

blablablablabla

You failed to understand the problem entirely.
The problem is this, and this exactly:

By RPers being no longer bound to land on the same map as they used to when they could pick the map of “the unofficial RP server” on purpose, the chances to run into RPers who are utter strangers to you randomly outside of the cities are diminished.

This is the high quality of writing I’ve been missing?

Thorgrim Dazzlehand [HaHa] – the Player King of Tarnished Coast
http://harlotsandharlequins.enjin.com/

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Forst.5863

Forst.5863

I have never spoken of high quality of writing, don’t pin that on me.
I am not an RPer either.
I just feel your entire post failed to address that problem.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Juunro.7082

Juunro.7082

I used to guest over to TC to roleplay when the mood struck me; with the announcement of this megaserver thing, I joined two guilds there.

Before the switch over, you could find RP all over the place on TC, now? Not one person in DR every time I’ve checked when guesting. It utterly obliterated it.

How, exactly, would a self tagging system have been bad again?

Axe Murdering, Longbowing tiny Asura Mohawk’d Warrior

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Geckat.6428

Geckat.6428

I’ve tried to RP in the “new” BC. I had to block about twenty people just so I didn’t get lost in an overflow of inane chatter in /say. Furthermore, the people I was planning on RPing with took three and four tries to get into the same instance as I was in. These problems are consistent with my friends, and consistent here, so I honestly don’t know what experiences your optimism is coming from. Yes, it is killing RP; I’ve seen it first hand over and over during these last few days I’ve tried, and time and time again, my friends and I have not been able to find anything even when RPers are online and on our list and area, and it’s not at all for lack of trying.

It’s not killing RP. Get a hold of yourself. You may have to make some changes to get the type of RP you’re looking for, but it’s still there. I was just in the Grove, and people are RPing there. I guess nobody told them that RP is dead. Maybe I should tell them that my optimism is unfounded…

Also, we’re +2 days from patch. Matching friends to the same instance might be a little rocky. Being in an RP guild makes it much easier.

Frankly, anyone who wants to RP has already come into RP through that tiny bit of effort..

Oh please. There are people who are fine RPers who have different priorities in GW2 and just haven’t gotten around to RPing. Believe it or not, some people are even a little intimidated to RP because of the insular groups and fear of appearing clueless about GW lore. A coworker of mine, who has been doing tabletop for 30 years, is intimidated by online RP. He’s interested, but feels uninvited. Perhaps if it was happening around him, it would be easier to join in.

You’re not going to get any decent writers at all by recruiting randoms who have never even heard of roleplay before. You’ll get a handful who are interested but if they haven’t considered it enough to make the effort and guest to an RP server to see, they’re not going to be interested enough to commit to a whole storyline. And, on the off-chance that they are, you’re never going to see them again anyway unless you invite this brand new RPer into your guild. Most of us aren’t comfortable with that.

Well, that might be a problem with your expectations. We invite new people all the time. Some aren’t exactly Cormac McCarthy, but then again, neither are the DR nobles. I don’t think we’re trying to win any awards here, just have some good times.

I’m glad your experiences so far have been good, but I’ll be interested to see how long your optimism can hold up; I don’t know anyone else who thinks RP can survive at all the way things are now.

It entirely depends on what you’re looking for. I don’t need/want a hermetically sealed environment for my RP, so I’ll be just fine. I guess we will see how many other people adapt and form RP guilds.

There is a reason I’ve been talking about BC and not the Grove, and it’s because the Grove was quite sparsely populated to begin with by players compared to RPers. If you’re talking about the Grove this entire time, then yes, it still works for RP. Unfortunately, BC and I would guess Hoelbrak and Rata Sum do not.

Your coworker could always join in on TC. It is not difficult. I really don’t understand how you think someone being exposed to one group of RPers one time in their life, never to see them again, is going to turn them onto RP when it’s turning everyone else off. I’ll believe it when I see it. You don’t seem to understand that these megaservers aren’t just everyone being shifted around once, and now you have your new home shard: it’s more like, everyone is in an overflow, and every time you enter an area, you’re placed into a new overflow with an essentially random group of other people who are playing GW2 in that area at the time, regardless of server, guild, friends list, or intentions. You are -not- going to be seeing these people again unless you strive very, very hard.

The guild matchup does not work as it stands, so it doesn’t matter that I’m in a guild. It especially doesn’t matter if that guild is based on interactions with other random RPers, as is most RP. It seems to me, unless you’re in the Grove, unless you -are- in some hermetic bubble-RP, you’re not going to find the resources you need to write.

Essentially, you’re telling me to adapt by:
-Moving all my RP to the Grove (once DR gets the megaserver)
-Reducing the continuity of my story
-Inviting new randoms into my guild who might think RP is “kinda interesting” and would like to try, having never heard of it before

This really just isn’t acceptable to the large majority of people, I’m sorry.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: kuscheldrow.6415

kuscheldrow.6415

There is exactly NO point in guilding up at all (besides that it is a) impossible and b) not a solution at all and c) Just stupid) because the sorting doesn’t work at all! Even the few still existing overflows seem to be better sorted than the megaserver maps are.

Plus in Europe you have the language mixup and people who think it’s their right to play with their native language around always. Well – that’s Anets fault, they planted that intolerance by first allowing language type servers in the EU and now frankly removing them completely. Off couse people do not want to accept that.

So the whole problem doesn’t only affect Roleplayers, it affects people from language based servers in the EU, it affects large bosskill guilds that soon will have the megaserver enabled on the bossmaps (Sparkfly / Bloodtide) Even PvP’ers cry to remove the heart of the mists from the megaserver. (Guess that’s for language purpose again, so might only be the EU)

So, to make it clear, EVERYONE but the casual PvE player IS affected by the megaserver. And it is their full right to stand up, voice their concerns and even complain. Roleplayers, as well as the French, the German and whoever else doesn’t feel comfortable anymore. Even servercomunities that are divided even in their hometowns now have that right. Everyone has.

Trahearne <3

Megaservers and RP

Phantom.8130

Seeing as how they’re not even responding in the official Megaserver thread. My guess is that all we’re going to get is the “Go guild yourselves” response that came before the patch even came out. Maybe in 6 months, we’ll get really lucky and they’ll have a CDI about it, so they can ignore that too like they did with the WvW ones.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Hystery.8415

Hystery.8415

Yes how dare I believe that RPers should be treated just like any other player of GW2. The inhumanity. Maybe there needs to be a new thread for keeping communities of people together, instead of just RPers.

Well then go ahead sir, do this thread for keeping communities together.

Oh wait, you are just here to troll people with no arguments, and are only here to bash us for no apparent reason.

We don’t say that we have to be treated better than other players. Though this megaserver stuff is touching us -more- than the rest, since our game style is simply ruined. For people PvPing, they’ll manage to find arenas. For people PvEing, they’ll manage to find dungeons and world bosses, yet with some difficulties, but at least, the stuff is there. For people RPing, we simply -CAN’T- find what we are looking for because of this. Do you see the difference? I bet you don’t, or you refuse to do so because you are only here to bring more hatred and to try to discredit us. Which obviously fails since the beginning considering your lack of arguments.

Now I agree that other communities can be touched to, and if they feel like they have to be heard by Anet, they are free to do a thread on the forum. But the fact is that so far, none of them moved a finger to do such, while us stood here to let them hear our disappointment.

Piken Square RPer ~ Growl Bladeskin (Charr, Zerk Warrior 80) |
Aelius Brightmane (Charr, Zerk Grenade Engineer, 80) |
Tilaw Stainsoul (Charr, Zerk Staff Elementalist, 80) | Evi Shadowstep (Charr, Zerk Ranger 80) |

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: CookieNoodle.6503

CookieNoodle.6503

Just wanna add it here. If ANET gave us the ability to add a small ‘’ IC ’’ icon next to our name, lots of problems will be solved. They could add it so that if we had the IC icon activated – we would automatically be placed in the same map as others who has the icon active. This way we would have small RP maps filled with IC-active players. Which would actually be an upgrade for us RPers.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: VoiceOfUnreason.5976

VoiceOfUnreason.5976

Just wanna add it here. If ANET gave us the ability to add a small ‘’ IC ’’ icon next to our name, lots of problems will be solved. They could add it so that if we had the IC icon activated – we would automatically be placed in the same map as others who has the icon active. This way we would have small RP maps filled with IC-active players. Which would actually be an upgrade for us RPers.

Yeah we’ve been asking for an RP-related tag that we can toggle since the Megaservers were first announced. Unfortunately the placement algorithms that they currently have aren’t even working properly. The likelihood that they’ll implement something like that, especially anytime in the near future, is becoming lower and lower.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: CookieNoodle.6503

CookieNoodle.6503

Yeah we’ve been asking for an RP-related tag that we can toggle since the Megaservers were first announced. Unfortunately the placement algorithms that they currently have aren’t even working properly. The likelihood that they’ll implement something like that, especially anytime in the near future, is becoming lower and lower.

A shame. We should keep the concept open and active until ANET listens.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I am honestly thinking that the reason why the role-players are not being able to meet up is due to Tarnished Coast is such a large population server that the “Same Server” rule is exceeding the soft population caps for the maps you are wanting to be on.

For science I wonder if those having issues guest onto a lower population server would have better luck meeting up with each other during their Multi-Guild RP events. My hypothesis is that they will get sorted correctly.

I have a suspicion that the routing priority and weight are as follows based upon some basic testing.

1.) Is the player in a party if so is there a map with that player in the same party. Add heavy weight score for that map.
2.) Determine if there are members of the players Home Server on the same map(if guesting use guesting server to determine that.) Add weight score to that map.
2.) Are their players of the same guild on the map. Add weight score to that map.

If the population hit soft cap route player to another shard. Have them use join in to join together.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Astraea.2981

Astraea.2981

Maybe instead of making a clique-ish thread about the injustices done to RPers there could have just been a thread about breaking up gaming communities.

There absolutely could have been. Still can. Go make it yourself.

I’ll save you the trouble of posting again in this one by summarizing everything you’ve said, and everything you seem likely to say in the future: “Other people are talking about their own problems. Why can’t they talk about MY problems? Time to throw a tantrum about how entitled THEY’RE all acting.”

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: WereScrib.7154

WereScrib.7154

I am fine with as many personal insults as you’d like to throw at the rest of the community that isn’t one of your precious RPers. If you all want to hold hands and pat each other on the back over how wronged you have been and how you are the true reason that MMORPGs exist, then go ahead. It isn’t true, but if that is what this thread is for, then I’ll leave you to your hand holding.

I have played plenty of MMORPGs and participated in RP events and I haven’t seen this level of ‘poor us’ in a long time. I support everyone who said that they are in favor of keeping COMMUNITIES together.. of all sorts.. but not those who feel that RPers are the special children deserving of extra attention and catering too.

I’ve never seen an MMORPG single handedly remove the ability to play with friends in one patch.

No, we’re no the only people affected. Yes, it sucks for anyone in Europe. It sucks ~royally~ for people in Europe. Honestly, I think they have the most valid complaint and knowing the European Union’s record on this kind of thing, I have a feeling legal action will be pursued if something isn’t worked out. European Roleplayers have it worse then we NA RPers do.

The World Boss guilds have it awful, and really any guild that wants to run missions has it awful. Yes there is overreaction. I think the core idea of the megaserver is fine. Its been done well in other games that have maintained a strong roleplay community. The problem is Guild Wars 2 currently has the worst Megaserver currently in play.

Why? Because as near as we can tell they have had no testing beyond theorycrafting due to GW2s lack of a test server. This is bad, and is likely going to be fixed. I don’t hate Anet for the idea behind using megaservers. It negatively effects RP period until you can select “RP shards” of all areas, or even just of all low level/city zones. (I don’t actually think places like Orr need an RP tag, because while people RP there, usually they do so with Guild Chat or party chat during events in my experience.) But even then, its not actually that terrible of a thing in theory. Upping the average map population without disrupting servers isn’t unknown. WoW has done it with their realm mergers, and other megaserver systems have done it functionally.

The problem is the advertised metrics aren’t functioning, the new world boss spawns are rather carefully timed to function…for China, and be almost unusable for much of Europe or the East coast of the USA. There’s missteps in just about every aspect of this patch. (Except for zerk balance, that may need some tweaking but the idea of it is solid. Tweaks=/=broken on release. Though I think they should have offered free respecs of all zerk and celestial ascended gear. But thats just me.)

Roleplay is only a part of those negatively effected. But the fact of the matter is we’re the mot negatively effected. (Especially EU Roleplay) as our entire community has been destroyed in one fell swoop. Yesterday Divinity’s Reach had multiple filled overflows of roleplayers desperately seeking solace from the megaserver…

And honestly? If DR goes mega. You’re going to see RPers take over WvW…for RP. And then the kittening will truly begin.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: WereScrib.7154

WereScrib.7154

Maybe instead of making a clique-ish thread about the injustices done to RPers there could have just been a thread about breaking up gaming communities.

There absolutely could have been. Still can. Go make it yourself.

I’ll save you the trouble of posting again in this one by summarizing everything you’ve said, and everything you seem likely to say in the future: “Other people are talking about their own problems. Why can’t they talk about MY problems? Time to throw a tantrum about how entitled THEY’RE all acting.”

There’s been merged threads. Many in fact. They’ve been deleted and a link has been sent here, or to the other “WVW/MEGASERVER” thread.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Liraz.8062

Liraz.8062

I’ve done some RP out in the world (not in a city zone) without too much issue so far, so I think the leveling zones will be just fine under the megaserver system. The cities, however, I’m still hearing of folks having a lot of issues with getting into the same instance as their friends and guildmates and being the victims of extremely high levels of trolling attempts.

I am really cringing at the thought of what will happen if Divinity’s Reach becomes a megaserver zone – I never RP there personally given that I like more active RP than tavern chat, but half the RP community is there on a given night. Things are going to get ridiculously troublesome whenever that particular switch gets flipped.

Firstwatch Irregular Company – RP, Tarnished Coast

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: ArchCalder.3258

ArchCalder.3258

I am really cringing at the thought of what will happen if Divinity’s Reach becomes a megaserver zone – I never RP there personally given that I like more active RP than tavern chat, but half the RP community is there on a given night. Things are going to get ridiculously troublesome whenever that particular switch gets flipped.

This so many times over.

As I read these posts in conjunction with the megaserver updates, I can’t help but think that ANet may be a bit more considerate to RPers than we might think, even though they have a funny way of expressing it. DR has been the central RP hub since the beginning, as well as the outskirts of Queensdale. These areas have yet to be converted by the Skynet plague. If you take a look at their megaserver updates, the first areas to go were:

• Vastly unpopulated for one reason or another.
  • Not a major RP hub.
  • Far from DR and QD (the major RP hubs).

In the second update, some minor RP hubs were subjected to the megaserver: LA, Lornar’s Pass (Durmand Priory), and Kessex Hills (forts and outposts). I’ve seen RP here, as well as in Diessa Plateau and Metrica Province, but not nearly as much as the others. Notice that DR and QD are still left untouched by the megaserver as of now.

Strange how the two of the most popular RP hubs have yet to be converted.

That… is hopeful. Especially if other sources (i.e. posters in this thread) are saying that they’ve at least halted on megaserver rollout. This means either one of two things: ANet is working on it to make it more acceptable by the community, or that they want us all to wait and suffer before they completely roll it out across the board.

So… perhaps this isn’t the “active RP destruction campaign” that some people seem to think. ANet may actually care more than they let on. Of course, I can’t be certain because they never say anything, regardless of truth or lies, but if our major hubs are still untouched, I’ll consider it a good sign until it goes bad.

Then I predict more than half of the RP community who hasn’t jumped ship yet will, to seek refuge in another MMORPG.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

At least on Tarnished Coast there are Sylvari-centric RP guilds that used to gather in The Grove and do really interesting and enjoyable RP. Note that I say used to.

Since the megaserver hit The Grove I haven’t seen those guilds around, possibly because I’m not actually in any of those guilds but I really enjoyed what they added to the game. I’ve seen literally no RP in The Grove since the megaserver took it over, and I really miss it.

So Divinity’s Reach may be the unofficial hub of RPing, but for me it was my home in The Grove that has been stripped of much of it’s charm and immersion. And that’s sad.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Cercie.1025

Cercie.1025

I don’t think Anet is deliberately trying to destroy the RP community. I think it’s more that they are oblivious about it or they just do not care. They haven’t commented on this thread since the Megaserver happened, yet seem to be directing people to it. That makes you wonder just what is going on up top.

@Wasbunny: Small random RP is most likely dead now sadly, and the one reply in this thread to “Guild Up” has been a proven fail as well.

I don’t know if there’s anything left to do but to keep posting RP threads until they get tired of merging them or we start posting threads about what game to migrate to that cares more for the RPer playerbase.

Megaservers and RP

Phantom.8130

And honestly? If DR goes mega. You’re going to see RPers take over WvW…for RP. And then the kittening will truly begin.

not going to quote the rest of your post, because i agree 100% with it, especially about how hard EU RPers got shafted.

This part, however, is something I’ve been dreaming about since day 1. I’ve always wanted to get more RP going on in WvW. I actually wanted to try to make our garrison on TCBL an RP hub. As very longtime RPer, as well as an extremely experienced WvW commander, I would love to see this happen. (in fact, I actually started off in WvW while being completely in character) There would be an initial adjustment period, but it would actually go pretty smoothly on TC. Our RPers are viewed as beloved by a lot of our WvW players, and a lot of our WvW players converted into RPers as well. Sure, there’s the occasional idiot who tries to troll RPers, but they tend to get squashed pretty quickly. The trolls didn’t stand a chance when we had our pirate crew around, because c’mon…. pirates. We’ve had pirate commanders, who gave commands while never breaking character and it was AWESOME. Nothing gets your blood pumping like knowing you had to keelhaul the 50 scurvy lubbers that were tryin’ ta plunder yer keep.

The main thing would be that the RP needs to happen in the towers and keeps, not in the citadel. We have guides for how to set up and defend each of our areas, and how to call in for backup. I’ve always said that RPers were TC’s secret weapon, and would be absolutely delighted if this were to occur.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

Haha, i’m in!
I usually don’t do WvW, but that will definitely feel like a punch in the gut… Maybe then they’ll hear us!

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Kaiwen.1520

Kaiwen.1520

I’ve noticed a lot of people very happy with megaservers. Personally, I like having a lot of people around in the world.

However, megaservers in cities needs some work. It’s harder to get together with friends. Also, I no longer feel like I have a home server. I guess that’s the point. But it is an unsettling feeling.

Megaservers and RP

Asacledhae.2650

It’s not that we don’t want the kitten thing, we want it to work without destroying our communities the way it does now..

Megaservers in cities have no reason to exist if you ask me. There’s no content there, no threat, it’s just a kitten city, you don’t need to mix and match people to…..walk around it or explore it!

Megaservers and RP

Cercie.1025

not going to quote the rest of your post, because i agree 100% with it, especially about how hard EU RPers got shafted.

This part, however, is something I’ve been dreaming about since day 1. I’ve always wanted to get more RP going on in WvW. I actually wanted to try to make our garrison on TCBL an RP hub. As very longtime RPer, as well as an extremely experienced WvW commander, I would love to see this happen. (in fact, I actually started off in WvW while being completely in character) There would be an initial adjustment period, but it would actually go pretty smoothly on TC. Our RPers are viewed as beloved by a lot of our WvW players, and a lot of our WvW players converted into RPers as well. Sure, there’s the occasional idiot who tries to troll RPers, but they tend to get squashed pretty quickly. The trolls didn’t stand a chance when we had our pirate crew around, because c’mon…. pirates. We’ve had pirate commanders, who gave commands while never breaking character and it was AWESOME. Nothing gets your blood pumping like knowing you had to keelhaul the 50 scurvy lubbers that were tryin’ ta plunder yer keep.

The main thing would be that the RP needs to happen in the towers and keeps, not in the citadel. We have guides for how to set up and defend each of our areas, and how to call in for backup. I’ve always said that RPers were TC’s secret weapon, and would be absolutely delighted if this were to occur.

I remember there used to be a few active RPer guilds in WvW that were really good, way back before the seasons started. That would be fun to see again.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Treebeard The Swift.9620

Treebeard The Swift.9620

You do have a pr department right anet? bumpitty bump.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Synesh.1094

Synesh.1094

As time passes by more and more people that found enjoyiment in the low/medium population zone is start to lament as well, at least it’s what I see from the forums.

Add to it the fact that making most of the bosses an enourmus zerg fest doesn’t help keeping people interesting. The feeling of freshness disappear when you steam roll trough the content incredibly fast without even noticing or putting no effort into the fight. And if I remember correctly effort and difficulty was a point in the Gw2 Manifesto.
Piken Square has/had a decent community around world bosses and even if some were just a large zerg, there were at times smaller events trigged and complete by 5-10 people. I was allways looking forward for this ones rather then the cheese large scale ones.

Once again I renew my call for player influence over this sytem or just make it smarter. Please.

EDIT: and on the topic of WvW, I don’t support that, as a RPer myself, but seems like the only thing that keeps me with a sense of community. I found myself in the Edge of the Mists with a few friends, we were outnumbered by the rest of the servers and left with just the major keep.
Lukly I’m a moron, and instead of jumping for the karma train I spent the unsued supplies to repair all our oil and mortars. Because of this and lots of arrow carts we pushed back 3 major zergs from overgrowth, even blowing the bridges under their feet before they could breach into the walls.

And after that we aimed all our mortars into the center of the keep, firing around the boss and the major concentration of enemies. We repelled 3 more zerg waves that way. Our champion was never killed for the whole 3 hours of the turn.

It was one of the most glorius experiences I had in WvW and I’d wish to see more of these denfensive actions in Edge of the Mists or classic WvW. If the Rp community could bring this levels of gameplay to the field, well. I’m sold.

(edited by Synesh.1094)

Megaservers and RP

Cercie.1025

It’s like we’re being corralled to enjoy the game as Anet wants us to instead of enjoying it the way we wanted to for so long. It’s no longer an adventure, it’s a daily schedule at camp.

Megaservers and RP

Asacledhae.2650

I believe occupying WvW with RPlayers was a joke to begin with.. Either way, the game starts to feel less and less appealing as days go by…

I do hope A-net will come forth and speak with us about……something, instead of posting vanity things like “The megaserver is going well” or “we changed this or that to make the game simpler for new players”. We’ve seen through your automated responses, guys. Try something new.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: whatsername.4128

whatsername.4128

At least on Tarnished Coast there are Sylvari-centric RP guilds that used to gather in The Grove and do really interesting and enjoyable RP. Note that I say used to.

Since the megaserver hit The Grove I haven’t seen those guilds around, possibly because I’m not actually in any of those guilds but I really enjoyed what they added to the game. I’ve seen literally no RP in The Grove since the megaserver took it over, and I really miss it.

So Divinity’s Reach may be the unofficial hub of RPing, but for me it was my home in The Grove that has been stripped of much of it’s charm and immersion. And that’s sad.

We’re still there. I for one haven’t tried rping since the patch because of the griefing and trolling I’ve heard of and also seen happening to other rpers first hand. It’s ranged from people emoting or asking in map why there’s RP in the Grove to people straight up confronting said RPers and telling them to get out of the map.

This kind of behaviour combined with me having to tell several people off for inappropriate comments in map chat (ranging from kitten jokes to other forms of harassment, things I rarely if EVER saw on TC outside of WvW) has me not wanting to play the game at all. To be honest I’ve logged out extra early almost every day since patch. If it doesn’t improve I don’t know what I’m going to do but I definitely won’t be as loyal of a player and customer as I have been to date.

Tarnished Coast – [NeX] [SASS]
Avalise [Sylvari Thief]

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Treebeard The Swift.9620

Treebeard The Swift.9620

Or the best sign of an ignored thread – “tell us 3 things…”

also – I’m on TC and boy has the community gone massively downhill, theres a massive increase in total kittens in map chat now. The friendly server feel has been extremely disrupted.
Uninstalled last night, will reinstall for sanctum or an expansion of some sort but community is dead so not feeling the urge to play.

(edited by Treebeard The Swift.9620)

Megaservers and RP

Cercie.1025

Perhaps Anet’s marketing strategy was to tweak the gameplay a bit to bring in new players while driving out all the old ones. In that way they wouldn’t have to really add anything new to the game since it’s all new to the new players anyway. And they can spend another two years not adding anything permanent.

This makes GW2 a great frontend game, with little retention value. A final solution to the no gear treadmill debate. Lessen a player’s will to continue playing for the long run while adding features that mainly only benefit new and casual players.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

You do have a pr department right anet? bumpitty bump.

I’d imagine they do, but that’s the last thing I want. We get enough PR speak, half answers from ANet on development issues and player complaints. What I’d like to see is actual conversation with the devs saying “We hear your complaints, but this is why we made the decisions we did: (include actual real logical explanation). We realize this may have upset part of our player base (name player segment here) but it’s the way we are designing the game moving forward. We are currently working on (insert actual understanding response here) that will be completed by (insert actual real world time estimation). If that does not satisfy the player base we may have to say goodbye to that portion of our players because their interests no longer match the direction we are taking the game which is (insert actual goals of development here).”

Megaservers and RP

Hystery.8415

Shh, don’t give them ideas.

Tilaw Stainsoul (Charr, Zerk Staff Elementalist, 80) | Evi Shadowstep (Charr, Zerk Ranger 80) |

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Omap.8530

Omap.8530

Perhaps Anet’s marketing strategy was to tweak the gameplay a bit to bring in new players while driving out all the old ones. In that way they wouldn’t have to really add anything new to the game since it’s all new to the new players anyway. And they can spend another two years not adding anything permanent.

This makes GW2 a great frontend game, with little retention value. A final solution to the no gear treadmill debate. Lessen a player’s will to continue playing for the long run while adding features that mainly only benefit new and casual players.

I’m not sure it’s that, but you do have a bit of a point. it doesn’t seem like there’s any reason to create an environment with a high turnover rate other than to sell more gems. too bad this could have been solved easily by making more townclothes or actual nice things for the gem store, but this must be an easier fix.

I still think it’s so they can say “hey! We’re at max pop all the time! come join in!” to new players.

Megaservers and RP

kuscheldrow.6415

Anyone seen the recent changes to the chats Anet did?
(Could be intresting for EU players, but it still doesn’t solve the whole problem)
I know a lot of people who have their game set to English instead of their native language for several reasons. So either we’re forced to play in our native language or won’t even see it in the chat anymore, or we have to stay with the mixture for now.

I really hope Anet would get the sorting to work as they promised.

Trahearne <3

Megaservers and RP

Asacledhae.2650

(Could be intresting for EU players, but it still doesn’t solve the whole problem)
I know a lot of people who have their game set to English instead of their native language for several reasons. So either we’re forced to play in our native language or won’t even see it in the chat anymore, or we have to stay with the mixture for now.

Yes, i have.. Can’t stop myself from laughing about it.

Megaservers and RP

Hystery.8415

There have been changes to the chat? I just logged on after the short update and nothing seems to have changed for me.

EDIT: nevermind, just found out.

(edited by Hystery.8415)

Megaservers and RP

kuscheldrow.6415

Yes, i have.. Can’t stop myself from laughing about it.

That was the first thing I did when I read that. xD
Not only that you can’t even answer people of a different language anymore if you haven’t activated this option because THEY may have it, and don’t even know as it is active by default, the whole thing makes things even more complicated imo. xD

I’d rather like to choose what I want to see and what not, rather than the “only this or nothing” option. I’d be in for German AND English, not only bacause a lot of people actually play in English even if they’re German or French or Spanish. Now I can guess if my question / answer is even heard…

Trahearne <3

Megaservers and RP

Hystery.8415

So, let me get this straight. They pretend to make the megaserver to group people together so maps look more full, more living. But then they put an automatic hide to people using a different language as ours, which actually separates players like they used to be on their home servers. This motion of back and forth reminds me how we got scammed deep and rough with our townclothes.

Megaservers and RP

Asacledhae.2650

I have a better solution to this whole mess : How about adding a universal translator to the game, translating every language (including English, French, German, Spanish or maybe Greek) into Swahili?

That way everyone will see the same thing, so no more complaints!

Megaservers and RP

Hystery.8415

Automatic translators never work properly. Look at Google Translation.

Megaservers and RP

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I would like to see the Megaserver everyplace except in the towns. The towns should be every server for itself. I think it’s overall a good idea with some tweaking, but there’s no need for “balancing” the population in town. It isn’t as if there are events in town that can’t be done unless the population is adjusted.

I had to turn off my Player Names because they filled the screen. I literally couldn’t see the merchants and bankers and other NPCs. Lack of the Megaserver in towns would also provide a Mecca for Role Players where there was some constancy. It’s also nice to get away from people and enjoy some peace and quiet once in awhile. …Or are Guild Halls right around the corner?

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist