The Cantha Thread [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

For the old times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LtSMlkBAFE
That theme.

That brings tears to my face…i missed it so hard:(

This one always lure me to go back to GWFactions to play with my beloved Ritualist:

Incredible Track!…Our must i say Jeremy Soule IS incredible?:))

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Why is everyone under assumption that Canthan people are doing bad and their Emperor is “evil”? They could have advanced more than Tyria under the isolation, back in GW1 Kaineng architecture was already more advanced than the Tyrian one.

Scarlet is probably the Emperor of Cantha now. I bet she united what was left of the Luxons and the Kurzicks and took over everything. No telling what shenanigans she’s been up to in Elona.

Does everyone truly want Cantha and Elona to be ‘updated’ by the good folks who brought us the Living World?

If there ever was a case of ‘be careful what you ask for – you just might get it’ this is it.

:-(

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Why is everyone under assumption that Canthan people are doing bad and their Emperor is “evil”? They could have advanced more than Tyria under the isolation, back in GW1 Kaineng architecture was already more advanced than the Tyrian one.

Scarlet is probably the Emperor of Cantha now. I bet she united what was left of the Luxons and the Kurzicks and took over everything. No telling what shenanigans she’s been up to in Elona.

Does everyone truly want Cantha and Elona to be ‘updated’ by the good folks who brought us the Living World?

If there ever was a case of ‘be careful what you ask for – you just might get it’ this is it.

:-(

Oh gods.

I might have nightmares now.

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

Cantha was my favorite expansion and totally needs to come back. At release back in 2006 I took so many screenshots because the game was simply beautiful. I can only imagine what A-net could be capable of nowadays.

Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

I definitely hope to see Elona and Cantha make a return. New places are nice ‘n all, but the prior starting places hold too much memory. It’d be lost profits to drop those from any future content.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Posted by: KeybladeMaster.3148

KeybladeMaster.3148

what if shiro is mind controlling the new emperor?

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I’d love to see Epic Personal Story expansion that introduces Cantha along side the NEXT Elder Dragon!!! Muahaha!

Posted by: hienvan.7824

hienvan.7824

They took over Cantha. They closed the borders. They turned it into a freaking Tyrian North Korea.

My work there is not done. I must go back, and finish what I started 250 years ago, but there’s no boats that will travel there, no asura portals leading there, and for some reason I can’t find any paths leading to the depths of Tyria, and find the tunnel the dredge made all the way to Cantha. It’s as if all paths there had been erased out of existence.

Even if I have to swim there, I’ll go back, and finish my job. I’ll wipe out the Ministry of Purity, retire the imperial line, and turn Cantha into a free people’s republic.

Add me, I’ll swim there with u!

//I missed it so hard. Please bring Canthan back

(edited by hienvan.7824)

Posted by: The Outsider.8630

The Outsider.8630

I get so nostalgic thinking about the Factions sound track when I think about the music of Guild Wars. There are great tracks in GW2 and the other installments of GW1 but I feel like Factions overall had some of the best music in the franchise, and it fit so well with the visuals in the game. Really makes me want a Cantha expansion for GW2, revisit some old areas with some of the old music playing there and of course all new music for the Canthan continent as well!

I didn’t intend for this to turn into a GIVE US A CANTHAN Expansion thread but just was curious who else really enjoyed the Factions soundtrack and misses it. Anyone?

Posted by: Nightwolf.6052

Nightwolf.6052

Not quite sure if you ask for it, but, you already know you can custom the ingame tracks, right?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Customized_soundtrack

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

So, anyone else remember this vid from Gw1?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAxPYq0WYw

Also, I would love it if Cantha came back and we got to see how the Jade sea and Echovald forest look now. Especially since Factions was my most favorite expansion out of the Gw1 series. There is just so much potential there to just be forgotten about.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

Various site held or propagated information about the current state of affairs in cantha and elona.
While the elder dragons are mainly the concern of Tyria i feel Cantha and Elona shouldnt be kept out of the idea for future expensions and stuff of the like.
GW1 added new class with every expension pack (save for eye of the north wich added a lot of title based skill wich still in some way is like new classes) what about adding new race such as the Canthian Tengu and the Elonian centaur? We can see Zaishen in lion arch and there is even a mention of Elhona and Cantha in the human personnal story, not to mention that whole area populated by tengu wich is so far unavaillable.
There was a lot of talk around when sylvaris was still in developement lab that the Tengu might be a playable race. Why stop to Tyria alone? The elder dragons do not only menace Tyria but the entire world and we havent heard of Jormag Primordius or Krakaltoric in ages not to mention the other one still lurking across the waves. So far all new content concentrates on pirates and old faction wars. While i do apreciate the recycling of the nightmare court in the toxic alliance (of wich the story wasnt finished because Faolain is still on the run…) I wonder when we will actualy get to explore the crystal desert, the northern shiverpeak and run after the other elder dragons. It has been a year now im hunry for more dragon slaying and maybe a continuation to the personnal story. It was mentionned somewhere that Palawai Joko enslaved Elhona so will we actualy ever get to embark again on a journey to the land of the golden sun?

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

Posted by: NoisyMango.7860

NoisyMango.7860

As a player of only GW2 and not GW1, I can’t give you a good explanation. But I only recently have I found out about Cantha and Elona, and their culture insipired environments.

I do hope that someday Arena.Net may expand their living world that would create even more diversity in the environmental aspects of the game.

I think that this would also expand rather diminish the player-base as it makes the world feel larger and more alive when there are Eastern and Western inspired environments; there’s more areas the explore to the player’s liking.

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

For the people who are saying that ANet hasn’t said anything about Cantha…
That’s not something they would reveal before like the earliest one month before.
They might hint for it earlier, but that is definately something that they will try to take us by surprise with.

That’s at least what I would do if I were them.

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

the only way i would accept actual Cantha showing up in GW2… is that i could swim there with my character on the current maps. one of the most HATED things about GW1 was “taking the boat” to switch maps, and then go to wherever you wanted to go on the new continent.

personally, i’d much rather we find out that Cantha was outright wiped off the face of Tyria, and that the fleeing Canthans made a new home in Janthir Isles or Sanctum Cay or somewhere already labeled on the map. every zone needs to be accessible easily, without that extremely inconvenient type of system (taking the boat) introduced in GW1.

– The Baconnaire

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I wanted to think that risen would be less active ad we may start seeing more boats. Maybe even a refugee from Elona or Cantha once in a while.

But after seeing how Tequatl got more powerful and aggressive, I’m stating to lose hope…

It doesn’t help that krait no longer metamorph, making them overlap too much with naga. Naga may have more humanoid faces (shorter and more nose-like snouts, more prominent foreheads) but still… without metamorphosis, krait are just another snake-like race.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Hygoro.3062

Hygoro.3062

Oh please let us see of Cantha. The lore of the world is quite rich, and the world should be considered incomplete without Cantha.

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

After watching Wolverine 2013 I want Cantha so bad right now! the movie had the same feel as GW1 Cantha Lore did! And I’d like to experience more of it.

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

Posted by: Kiayin.3427

Kiayin.3427

Various site held or propagated information about the current state of affairs in cantha and elona.
While the elder dragons are mainly the concern of Tyria i feel Cantha and Elona shouldnt be kept out of the idea for future expensions and stuff of the like.
GW1 added new class with every expension pack (save for eye of the north wich added a lot of title based skill wich still in some way is like new classes) what about adding new race such as the Canthian Tengu and the Elonian centaur? We can see Zaishen in lion arch and there is even a mention of Elhona and Cantha in the human personnal story, not to mention that whole area populated by tengu wich is so far unavaillable.
There was a lot of talk around when sylvaris was still in developement lab that the Tengu might be a playable race. Why stop to Tyria alone? The elder dragons do not only menace Tyria but the entire world and we havent heard of Jormag Primordius or Krakaltoric in ages not to mention the other one still lurking across the waves. So far all new content concentrates on pirates and old faction wars. While i do apreciate the recycling of the nightmare court in the toxic alliance (of wich the story wasnt finished because Faolain is still on the run…) I wonder when we will actualy get to explore the crystal desert, the northern shiverpeak and run after the other elder dragons. It has been a year now im hunry for more dragon slaying and maybe a continuation to the personnal story. It was mentionned somewhere that Palawai Joko enslaved Elhona so will we actualy ever get to embark again on a journey to the land of the golden sun?

Yeah, and the centaurs STRONGLY disliked Palawa and his undead army. So they’ve either 1) been exterminated 2) been enslaved by Palawa this time around 3) broken free and have formed/joined a resistance force. A hidden city-fortress that is home to said resistance force would make for a nice starting city. –
The Djinns also had a lot of potential and would make for a somehow unusual yet interesting race, I think.

Canthan new races… Ninja carps? I just can’t get those out of my mind, lol. I couldn’t stop laughing when I first saw them…
Rather than new races, I’d expect a Canthan expansion to bring very well fleshed-out factions, I think. Tengus already have the Dominion of Winds in Tyria, and any other race we know of in Cantha would feel very forced in my opinion.

Posted by: Hka.3942

Hka.3942

Naga could work, the only thing that goes against it (and it’s a pretty major counter point) is that it would be hard to animate them and they’re too different from the other races body-wise to make it work with the armors. I really want a serpantine/reptilian race though, after Tengu of course.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

@Forgotten Legend.9281

I think that was only used because of graphical limitations at the time. Based on how the GW2 map looks, we could probably just use WPs. Of course, I could be mistaken.

Posted by: Kiayin.3427

Kiayin.3427

Naga could work, the only thing that goes against it (and it’s a pretty major counter point) is that it would be hard to animate them and they’re too different from the other races body-wise to make it work with the armors. I really want a serpantine/reptilian race though, after Tengu of course.

Mmm you’re right…. We already have the krait as a serpentine enemy race anyway. I doubt all of them have fled north, some of them are bound to have headed in Cantha’s direction, claiming the areas near the coast? and driving the naga away. I suppose the naga could have gone back to the Jade Sea since that’s where they originally came from and it has started to decrystallize. They could live in an underwater starter city that would be a mix of jade and traditional naga architecture. – That would be amazing! [Yes I tend to daydream a little]

Posted by: Hunter.6950

Hunter.6950

I lost all hope with gw2, I went back to WoW/gw1 until something comes out that interest myself and my other loyal gw1 fans.

The scarlet stuff is apparently bigger than guild features to keep players together, let alone the guild systems allows you to be in multiple guilds.

I want to like this game but it’s so hard. It has the potential…

Dragons’ Solstice [SoL]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

I lost all hope with gw2, I went back to WoW/gw1 until something comes out that interest myself and my other loyal gw1 fans.

The scarlet stuff is apparently bigger than guild features to keep players together, let alone the guild systems allows you to be in multiple guilds.

I want to like this game but it’s so hard. It has the potential…

Guild features are made by programmers. Scarlet is made by living story teams and story writers… That don’t do that much of a good job tbh.

Point is company structure. Different people do different things.

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

They took over Cantha. They closed the borders. They turned it into a freaking Tyrian North Korea.

My work there is not done. I must go back, and finish what I started 250 years ago, but there’s no boats that will travel there, no asura portals leading there, and for some reason I can’t find any paths leading to the depths of Tyria, and find the tunnel the dredge made all the way to Cantha. It’s as if all paths there had been erased out of existence.

Even if I have to swim there, I’ll go back, and finish my job. I’ll wipe out the Ministry of Purity, retire the imperial line, and turn Cantha into a free people’s republic.

add me too I Farron am of Canthan Decent from Severed Thoughts : P dervish from Cantha! I like to skinny dip in southsun cove so I swim a lot!

Posted by: Za Playing Nurse.6329

Za Playing Nurse.6329

add me too I Farron am of Canthan Decent from Severed Thoughts : P dervish from Cantha! I like to skinny dip in southsun cove so I swim a lot!

Add me 4!! I wanna go/swim ’’home’’!!

Posted by: Hka.3942

Hka.3942

I’ll come for a swim too!

Posted by: Winecandy.1530

Winecandy.1530

What happend to kuunavang?:(

Posted by: Darcness.2408

Darcness.2408

8D take me, I’ll go for the swim too!! But on a serious note- this thread is ooold now lol we want Cantha darnit!

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I would swim to Cantha. I miss Shing Jea Island and its Kirin. <3

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

First quarter 2014 is a good time for an asura gate to open up Cantha again. Just saying.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

First quarter 2014 is a good time for an asura gate to open up Cantha again. Just saying.

Oh, no. Around June or July would be better. Someone should tell those pirates the proper way to do a dragon festival.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

I refuse to let this thread die.

Ranger | Elementalist

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

Let me help you with it.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

No MMO can survive without Cantha, I mean an expansion. If we don’t see an expansion before 2015 arrives, personally I don’t think there’ll much of a GW 2 left.

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

I don’t want to let this thread die either! Factions was the game that got me hooked into Guildwars 1. I always found Tyria incredibly boring and depressing (both in Prophesies and EOTN). I did love Nightfall (my 2nd favorite) but my 1st favorite is Factions because of one reason; the Kurzick/Luxon fued. Never before that point had I encountered such a political atmosphere in a video game with alliances/sabatages/betrayals. It was so much fun and I miss the political aspect of Factions in gw2. I WANT THERE TO BE POLITICAL BETRAYALS, ALLIANCES, AND PLACES FOR GUILDS/ALLIANCES TO COMPETE WITH ONE ANOTHER OVER! I WANT CITIES TO CONTROL AGAIN (OR SOMETHING!)!!!

Posted by: Shizlam.4310

Shizlam.4310

This thread won’t ever die i want to find out what happened to my favorite continent! Factions was actually the first mmorpg i’ve played, the one that turned me into a gamer around 6/7 years ago, and hell i really wanna know what’s going on there.

(edited by Shizlam.4310)

Posted by: Leonardo Darnassus.1635

Leonardo Darnassus.1635

Just played factions the other day exploring the Jade Sea. Walking over the frozen ocean. Hearing the cracking sound that it makes and then reaching the border where the sea meets the Kurzick forest. Nothing in GW2 really makes me feel the same way. Bring back Factions!!!!

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

the only way i would accept actual Cantha showing up in GW2… is that i could swim there with my character on the current maps. one of the most HATED things about GW1 was “taking the boat” to switch maps, and then go to wherever you wanted to go on the new continent.

You already had to take a boat to Southsun Cove the first few times (until WPs) – and I suspect if either Cantha/Elona get introduced, the same will apply. Either a ship from LA or just WPing there once you’ve discovered it.

Zephyrites didn’t mean Cantha or Elona got re-introduced, it only explained their origin as being of Canthan or Elonian descent – same way you get to choose that yourself when Logan asks you early in the human personal story (whatever that question means because it certainly doesn’t seem to have any effect).

As for why there’s no response from Anet in here, whenever an Anet employee gets the urge to write an “official” response in here to console us in our yearning for Cantha, Colin pops up behind their back…

Attachments:

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

You already had to take a boat to Southsun Cove the first few times (until WPs) – and I suspect if either Cantha/Elona get introduced, the same will apply. Either a ship from LA or just WPing there once you’ve discovered it.

Zephyrites didn’t mean Cantha or Elona got re-introduced, it only explained their origin as being of Canthan or Elonian descent – same way you get to choose that yourself when Logan asks you early in the human personal story (whatever that question means because it certainly doesn’t seem to have any effect).

As for why there’s no response from Anet in here, whenever an Anet employee gets the urge to write an “official” response in here to console us in our yearning for Cantha, Colin pops up behind their back…

That would indicate that they are working on Cantha then if he really does that lol.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Pretty sure it’s exactly the opposite. As I understand it, Anet wanted to add Cantha and NCSOFT said no because they thought the fans wouldn’t want it. So if you want Cantha, continue letting people know you do.

It’s not that NCSoft felt that fans didn’t want it, but that Asian markets would find the Canthan style offensive (which may or may not be true). Arena.net was told they pretty much had to start over.

Rebuilding a continent from the ground up (bear in mind, it might not be JUST the buildings. Sprites could need remodeling, mobs might need to be completely redone). Think of how long it took to develop GW2 from start to release. You could be talking about a similar amount of time invested to redo Cantha.

Which is why I suspect we will see Elona or the Far North before Cantha this time around.

Posted by: Naetell.3815

Naetell.3815

I support the return of Cantha as well. It may not be soon, but I do hope to see it back some day.

Posted by: hienvan.7824

hienvan.7824

Why did u let us fight the dragon alone ?

Attachments:

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Bring Cantha and Elona back !! and make this game a true perfection with it.

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Can’t the Zepherytes take us to Cantha?

I say the dredge will bring us there:
A dredge revolution happening against the current Dictator (we see his happening in Frostgorge, even), we join the Dredge and they open up the Dredge tunnel to Cantha.

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

All they’d have to do is have us go after Primordus next. We already know the Asura tunnels connect all three continents, and it’d be a perfect excuse to rediscover some Asura gates, too.

Voila! Suddenly we have a way to sidestep DSD and access Cantha.

Posted by: KeybladeMaster.3148

KeybladeMaster.3148

i watched the trailer for factions again the other day and i was like… ugh. ritualists. come back to meeeeeee