Miniatures Have Been Hidden...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

…Due To Rising Player Population.

On a megaserver…

Will I ever see my mini pets again now that we’re forced into higher population situations?

You will never see your mini again, enjoy this new wonderful feature!

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Subutex.2416

Subutex.2416

Last night I saw everyone’s minis on Edge Of The Mists and it was pretty crowded then. I still can’t see them on any other PvE map except cities, so I’m really hopeful this is just a bug.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Last night I saw everyone’s minis on Edge Of The Mists and it was pretty crowded then. I still can’t see them on any other PvE map except cities, so I’m really hopeful this is just a bug.

Yes, I saw my mini when I was in Rata Sum with a lot of people around me, but in Plains of Ashford, where I’m all alone (in visual range at least), I got the message…

Posted by: Tachyon.5897

Tachyon.5897

Well, apparently this is normal and working as intended. From the mouth of ANet in the customer support thread

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Customer-Support-9-9-Feature-Build

I can’t see my mini-pets, when I activate one all I get is “Miniatures have been hidden due to rising player population”. That’s across all characters in a myriad different locations.

This is a feature that is working as intended. If you have feedback regarding the feature, I would recommend creating or joining in a thread to discuss your thoughts about it.

Will they be offering any refunds for those who paid money/gems for minis but now can’t use them?

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Typical of them. They have never done anything that didn’t come with a big middle finger.

(edited by Haishao.6851)

Posted by: naujocks.2319

naujocks.2319

Well that’s disappointing. All that hype for the mini QoL changes, I feel rather let down.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Well, apparently this is normal and working as intended. From the mouth of ANet in the customer support thread

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Customer-Support-9-9-Feature-Build

I can’t see my mini-pets, when I activate one all I get is “Miniatures have been hidden due to rising player population”. That’s across all characters in a myriad different locations.

This is a feature that is working as intended. If you have feedback regarding the feature, I would recommend creating or joining in a thread to discuss your thoughts about it.

Will they be offering any refunds for those who paid money/gems for minis but now can’t use them?

I’m really hoping this is a mistake, that maybe he was rushing to try and answer everyone and didn’t fully understand the issue.

If this was happening occasionally I’d agree that it’s working as intended – if you’re in a high population map the minis have to be hidden to reduce the load on the server. Just like particle effects and players.

But when they appear in LA and EOTM and then get hidden in a map that’s also telling you to leave due to low population something isn’t right. If that’s working as intended then it’s a really stupid intention.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Sweetblue Huntress.9856

Sweetblue Huntress.9856

I wasn’t surprised to see that message. GW1 was the same – they only showed a limited amount of mini’s in crowded maps. Oh well.

Leta Lorelei – Luwythea – Too many more to name
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Shazmataz.1423

Shazmataz.1423

Why did they sell the mini wardrobe as a QoL change in the feature pack when really it is a huge nerf to minis….

Posted by: Bridlegoose.9376

Bridlegoose.9376

I just logged into Caledon on my character I made last night to test the new leveling experience. Got the “mini can’t be displayed because of rising population” message. Ok, fine, whatever.

Then, literally, a few seconds later I get a message saying they want to close this map due to the low number of players and asked if I would volunteer to be shuffled into a more populated map.

I really hope this whole issue is a bug.

Shazmataz.1423

Its not a bug….just found this in
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Customer-Support-9-9-Feature-Build/first#post4391210

Why Anet Why? While the mini wardrobe system is a good idea no point in it if I can’t use my mini in game….REVERT

Posted by: Immortal.3647

Immortal.3647

wow…. if i had known, i wouldnt have used the accbinding feature on ALL my minipets…. doubleclicking them from inventory should bypass this miniature disabling system right ?
IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN Q_Q

Shazmataz.1423

Yes this sucks on so many levels, the spent gems, gold and now the binding totally screws us all over….and no word from Anet apart from saying “working as intended”
GFrom this statement they must have known that minis wouldn’t display in game with the megaserver system so why promote it as a feature?

I’m glad that I didn’t buy any minis after the feature pack announcement was made, the prices on tp skyrocketed. I would be furious if I had spent a whole lot of money buying minis before the marvelous “feature pack”

I have bound all my favorites only to be able to see them in preview….really angry now.

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

If it’s a “feature” working as intended can we maybe opt out of it?
The minis work in dungeons, full party can see each other’s minis, but in PvE only if you refuse to leave map on prompt. Also, what is up with that? I load into a map and less than a minute later get prompted to leave it for another. Wouldn’t it make more sense to just prioritize players to the bigger map while they’re loading? :S

Posted by: Stephane Lo Presti

Stephane Lo Presti

Content Marketing Manager, French

Hey everyone,

While this is currently working as intended, it’s definitely something that we’ll be working on and tweaking in the future. We want you to be able to enjoy your minis so hang in there!

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

It’s a terrible change. You realize you are basically making minis useless for me, right? Majority of times I am on I am gathered with my very large guild. That means with this culling I will never see my mini. Why not make it something in Options that players can choose themselves? Please fix this.

Posted by: skepticck.9714

skepticck.9714

Hey everyone,

While this is currently working as intended, it’s definitely something that we’ll be working on and tweaking in the future. We want you to be able to enjoy your minis so hang in there!

Working as intended ? seriously ? I kinda understand other players minis being hidden but why hide the player’s own mini, this is beyond ridiculous, whats even the point of having minis now.

(edited by skepticck.9714)

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Hey everyone,

So the intended result was for it to not work anymore?
Why wasn’t this told in the blog? Not exciting enough?

Posted by: aikatara.3462

aikatara.3462

I actually bought my miniature pet to take it with me, not to store it as collectible. There was no problem in showing the mini pets before, so why is it now? Isn’t it just a skin, like other people said? I mean, it does not do anything, it does not fight, it’s just present to look nice! Please, A-net, find a solution!

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Hey everyone,

Are you serious? You’re kidding right?

I was in Dry Top yesterday and after a while I tried again to get my mini pet to show up and got the “rising player population” error. Not more than 2 minutes later I got a pop up saying due to player population declining the instance was going to close in an hour and gave me the option to switch to a higher populated instance. Does that make any sense to you? Even after I got the message about the instance closing after an hour my mini pet still refused to show up.

I find it hard to swallow that you make it so our minis will stay out when we change maps, add the whole collection in the wardrobe, encourage us to buy more mini pets from the gem shop (series 1 and 2 currently available again), then turn around and tell us we can’t use the kitten things. Thanks a lot. I bought that new mini 2 pack in the gem shop yesterday with that Chief and Svanir thing along with 2 packs of series 2, and that was before I found out about the “rising player population” problem.

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

Posted by: Julischka Bean.7491

Julischka Bean.7491

Big Sigh. My Ranger was stylin’ for a small space of time this afternoon. She had her bear mini pet running along side her pet bear, and on her back was the new bear backpack.

Then I got the message that the Mega Server had to hide my mini bear

Lord love a cross-eyed duck Anet, you went through a whole lot of work to get our minis into the wardrobe, and allow us to keep them out with us, even if we zone….and now we can’t use them, and it is intended by you that we can’t use them, when the Mega Server page we are on starts getting too populated???

The whole point of the mega server is to maintain a healthy population level. Does this mean we cannot run about with our Minis the majority of the time????

I want to run about with my little mini friends like I did before this awful patch.

Lisa-Sad.

Edit-Just read Charrbeque’s post. Thumbs up Charr. I feel like you do.

(edited by Julischka Bean.7491)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Not seeing your own mini is something that should be addressed. But not seeing other people’s minis when culling is in effect? I can support that. You already have other players being replaced with low-res models when too many players are in the area; their minis disappearing is no different.

Posted by: jebediah.2403

jebediah.2403

they will gladly take your gems today and disable you pets tomorrow

Posted by: Zygomaticus.7469

Zygomaticus.7469

Probably the fix would be on Dec. 2015 because as they say, “IT IS WORKING AS INTENDED”

minis were useless then, minis are useless now.

Would it be cool to live forever?

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Not seeing your own mini is something that should be addressed. But not seeing other people’s minis when culling is in effect? I can support that. You already have other players being replaced with low-res models when too many players are in the area; their minis disappearing is no different.

The difference is that’s a choice. I don’t have low rez models or any of that. I don’t want it and I don’t need it. I like seeing other people’s minis. I can understand that people who don’t have as good computers might want the culling though. Which is why it should be a choice is Options and not something forced on us.

Posted by: Amrok.5034

Amrok.5034

Ditto on all the mini posts. I paid for a lot of the miniatures I have and now I can’t use them because you can’t control server population properly (you were before) If we can’t use the minis when we want you should refund us the gems or currency we spent on them.

Posted by: wolfie.2841

wolfie.2841

this is ridiculous and ruins the game for myself and quite a few other people. now im having trouble with my necro pets disappearing. this is wrong. we spent all that money and gems on mini pets and now you are taking that away… :-( i love both my mini pets and necro pets. thats why i got them. i like the pets.

(edited by wolfie.2841)

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Why?

THAT is the question I want answered. I see ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why everyone can’t have their minipet out. How can their intent be for NOBODY to hardly ever see their minipets anymore? This doesn’t need tweaking. It needs removing.

As some people have pointed out, you could have an entire zone filled with nothing but Rangers, and they aren’t going to remove their pets due to excessive strain on the servers.

The last Patch allows Account-shared Legendary weapons, so we have FAR more particle effects flying around than before. Sometimes it feels like the ground is covered in oil stains (I’m looking at you, Twilight.) And yet you force us to fight in battles with black streaks blocking my view.

You will NEVER convince me that displaying minipets in any way slows things down. When you “tweak” this feature that is “working as intended”, you had better tweak it so that nobody EVER sees that message again.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Cactus Brawler.7415

Cactus Brawler.7415

Hey everyone,

Are we to take it then that the game actually is dying then?

That server merges disguised as a ‘megaserver’ was not enough and that now you have to reduce bandwith by any means necessary?

Edit:

Since the working as intended is to turn them off, will you be offering refunds on minis?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Hey everyone,

The issue is less with the feature and more with the feature not working correctly.

People are having their minis hidden in maps that are closing to not enough players or maps that have no players even visible in the area.

It seems to be functioning incorrectly atm.

As for working as intended I would say that other peoples minis should be hidden but never your own as my feedback.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The difference is that’s a choice. I don’t have low rez models or any of that. I don’t want it and I don’t need it. I like seeing other people’s minis. I can understand that people who don’t have as good computers might want the culling though. Which is why it should be a choice is Options and not something forced on us.

In that case, minipet display should be tied to the culling option then. If you’d like to see more detailed models and minipets, then players can crank up the settings. If not, and they don’t mind not seeing minipets, then they can turn it down. Seems like a good compromise.

Posted by: duckideva.6358

duckideva.6358

Hey everyone,

Wow. Just. Wow. So, there was this big push to get everyone to put their minis in the wardrobe, just so you guys could remove them from the game?

That has to be the most stealthy gold/gem sink I’ve ever heard of, and I’ve been playing games since the days when I was being eaten by a gru.

Working as intended, indeed.

Cruella LaDucki: Have corpses, will travel
Torwynd Trueheart: Here I come to save the day!
NSP – Quak Resident Duchess L’Orange

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Hey everyone,

Appreciate you coming out and braving the storm and at least saying something. Wish I could say the same for the developers and designers who don’t really seemed concerned.

Please pass this single idea back to them:

The fact that this was all working for two years aside, if whatever the issue with your servers is now is such that it decides to not show me another player’s mini, then it should not show me the player, or the player should be a grey shell. My pet should be visible to me all the time. I’d rather see the mini of someone two feet from me than Skippy VonMcLeet and his flaming surf board. And where was the CDI on this topic.

Again, thank you for weathering the storm.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Hey everyone,

Thank you for the reply, however it seems to be a rather big flaw. That said, glad you are working on it because I just had my mini surpressed and almost immediately after was asked to change maps because of the low population. I looked around, and nobody near me either. Seems to be a mighty glaring flaw if you ask me.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I forgot to mention. I went to Rata Sum yesterday to use the bank/exchange in the middle of the map. I must have saw at least 30 players around that area as well as the nearby crafting stations. Some had mini pets out and I was able to use mine as well. This whole “due to rising player population” is pure nonsense. I usually hang out at Dry Top. Although the zone is populated, players are spread out so I don’t see a whole bunch in 1 spot usually unless they are all working on an event. It doesn’t make sense that in a place such as Rata Sum you can display your minis with a whole bunch of players all congregated in 1 spot but not a zone where they are all spread out and you’re lucky to see 5 or more in your visual range.

Anet should just be straight with us. Mini pets can now only be used in the racial towns and home instances. Because those are the only places I’ve been able to use mine so far.

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Hey everyone,

So all the Euros and thousands of gold wasted for something I cant use. Thanks! This company never fails to amaze me.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: josephleahy.2943

josephleahy.2943

Hey everyone,

OK, where can i request a refund for the gems i wasted on minipets? if its working to remove the users minipet there is an issue. I was not told that you would make my minipets useless after paying REAL cash to buy gems to buy mini sets to say this is working fine is disgusting i have yet to see my minis thanks to this terrible idea….

~One mans magic is another mans engineering.
RNG engineer~

(edited by josephleahy.2943)

Posted by: josephleahy.2943

josephleahy.2943

minipets in the gemstore are legit a scam now as they are not able to be used outside of a town… even tho minipets are supposed to work everywhere.

~One mans magic is another mans engineering.
RNG engineer~

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If I had known about this ahead of time I wouldn’t have account bound my minis. I would have left them in my inventory and used them as I had before. At least I would be able to see them when I wanted.

Posted by: FrostwindTTw.9015

FrostwindTTw.9015

If they do not fix this and just wait to see what is gonna happened as intended, I had to ask for a mini refund, since I just can’t see my minis. Why should I have a mini that can not be seen as I want, and why I got to find a empty map to see it? It’s really unbelievable that they still need time to evaluate and see if we will accept what they intended to do…. It’s obviously wrong that you can’t see your own mini at the time when you want it be there, and arenanet still need time to evaluate? That’s not an acceptable response.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

If I had known about this ahead of time I wouldn’t have account bound my minis. I would have left them in my inventory and used them as I had before. At least I would be able to see them when I wanted.

Yep.. spent 300 gold on a mini I wanted because of the new option. Pretty bummed that it is hidden 75% of the time.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Mini is best zerg detector in WvW. Works better than outmanned.

Posted by: scatach.8320

scatach.8320

Hey everyone,

Firstly, thank you for sticking your neck out here to give us some sort of a reply. Its appreciated.
However, there is genuine anger here at this, as none of that information was available at all when you guys posted about the mini changes in the patch.
A lot of people including myself bought mini packs in the gem store, and spent a lot of gold in game only to find that all that was for essentially nothing.
There are still mini packs available in the store with no warning that they wont be able to be used in high population areas, which when you think about the mega-server that Anet was so excited to deliver just doesn’t make any sense.
The community is rightly peeved at this, as it just looks like a cash grab. I don’t mind spending in the store to support the game as I don’t expect people to work or design new features in the game for free, but after this I wont be doing so anymore.
Its just shocking that this feature was not mentioned pre- patch, and is an insult to the community that support the game. I dont normally get on forums to complain about this stuff, but after spending money that I had to earn IRL, I feel that I have the right as a customer.
I think that refunds should be given for those that want it, at the very least, the money returned as gems.
Overall I am very disappointed. Its funny how the new features that make the gem-store and access to it seamless, are working as intended. I do hope that Anet will resolve this issue quickly but I am not holding my breath.

(edited by scatach.8320)

Posted by: Jorn Wolfgang.3712

Jorn Wolfgang.3712

Hey everyone,

So go buy those new mini’s we just put up for sale so you can’t see them either. I hate to be bitter but I wish I would have checked the forums before adding mine to my wardrobe. I truly thought after reading the patch notes that this was a cool new feature for the players.

My question here is even with a decent gaming rig if populations keep increasing are eventually all players just going to look like a default character losing dyes and skins?

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

Hey everyone,

I can’t even summon the mini’s I paid for via the gem store. I feel like I got ripped off.

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Hey everyone,

So go buy those new mini’s we just put up for sale so you can’t see them either. I hate to be bitter but I wish I would have checked the forums before adding mine to my wardrobe. I truly thought after reading the patch notes that this was a cool new feature for the players.

My question here is even with a decent gaming rig if populations keep increasing are eventually all players just going to look like a default character losing dyes and skins?

I think what he meant to imply is that this is something they put into place until they can determine what sort of performance impact all these minis will have on the server. Since they’ll be out and about a lot more, it’s something they maybe didn’t have to worry about so much. Once they can gauge how they’re impacting server performance (if at all), they can then adjust the system to be more open to minis being around.

At least I hope that’s the case, it’ll be a real shame if it isn’t.

Posted by: Jorn Wolfgang.3712

Jorn Wolfgang.3712

I truly hope that is case as well. If not it is kick when I’m already feeling down. I have bought most of the mini packs and special seasonal minis over the last couple years. I am one of the players who clicked my minis back up after I switched zones and usually carried a couple on each of my characters to change it up.

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Should have expected this really. Seeing how the few previews also had this message (Wooden Potatoes outright mentions it) on the preview server that has very few people on them, they should have known that this will be a problem.

As for the “works as intended but we are looking into it”… I wouldnt expect anything until the next feature patch. When megaservers first came out they were “working as intended but we are looking for ways to improve it.”

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Hey everyone,

I think its not.
Asking to be moved from a low population map, while the mini is hidden due to high population seems not to work as intended.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: FrostwindTTw.9015

FrostwindTTw.9015

Hey everyone,

Look what they said in the news introducing new mini in gemstore:

“….Pick up the Mini Chieftain Utahein…… into the wide world!”

They should have mentioned that you have to be in a “EMPTY” world to see the mini…….
When will this intended terrible change be fixed? How long will Stephane’s future be?