Molten Alliance Pick [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

Provost all the other forums had math to it just do some searching using the search tool before making a new post. People have bought them i have bought 9 of them. I am not rich I work at a Walmart therefor the next thing you were going to say something about me being rich. I bought them for the convenience of them which is better then any gold could buy. Plus the effect is down right awesome. All I have to say to you is if you don’t like the price don’t buy it. If you want it but won’t buy it, then its your own kitten fault and i am not going to feel sorry for you.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

I’m sorry, 800 gems for one gathering tool — even if it is unlimited use — is ludicrous.

With gem prices what they are currently, here’s the breakdown of the returns:

100 gems = 2 gold, 9 silver
800 gems = 16 gold, 72 silver
1 orichalcum mining pick = 4 silver

For the same price as this mining pick, you could purchase 418 orichalcum mining picks.

That’s enough to mine 13,933.3 (repeating) mining nodes.

Assuming you do your daily gathering entirely out of mining (7 mining nodes, rounded up), it would take you 1,991 days (about 5 and a half years) of using this mining pick before it started to pay off as an investment.

I will not be purchasing the volcanic mining pick until one of two things happens:

1. The pick is reduced in cost to 250 gems.
2. The 800 gems also includes an unlimited use logging axe and sickle.

My opinion has been stated.

then you wont be buying the pick.

No one cares.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

There is 20 other posts like this one. Did it really need its own thread to complain about the fact that you think it cost too much in “your opinion”?

Yes.

Also, mine has the math behind it and, if you ask politely, I can send you a complimentary lightning rod you can staple to your forehead.

What math? I spent $6 for 1200 gems. I bought a pickaxe. I have gotten my moneys worth already. No one cares about the roi of this item, if they do, then don’t buy it.

I swear I could almost think that for every person who complained about the price, someone else bought 2. I’ll buy 10 more to cover my alts if it stays long enough.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

Bought it for the coolness factor, the convenience is a nice bonus. I speculate that this will still be useful when an expansion comes out and higher tiers of ore are introduced. if not, oh well, my Ori will still explode into a firery ball of lava.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

It’s easily one of the best items in the gem store right now. Why?

1) It is a prestige item with a reskin and new particle and sound effects to let you show off while you mine.

2) It provides convenience by eliminating the need to replace your mining picks, as well as being able to mine any ore.

3) It can mine any ore at any character level. My level 30 Ele can mine Mithril and Orichalcum.

4) It saves storage space. You can get rid of those replacement mining picks.

5) Its price is retroactively reduced as you use it. Eventually, if you use it enough, it may completely pay itself off.

How many prestige and/or convenience items do you know of that can retroactively pay for themselves.

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

Not only an infinite mining pick is useless because the normal ones are cheap but spending 10$ for pixels and pixels that aren’t even useful is kinda funny imo. Like not because its new YOU have to buy something as worthless…

They are very useful. Not only they are convenient and look cool, they are also unlimited. Beer is as useless as pixels, since Ill pee them, but I also keep buying beer. And, wait… if you dont think one should spend money on pixels, why did you buy a game made of… pixels? You should try Monopoly.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

So many people bought these items that the gold-to-gems exchange rate was changed instantly upon their release. Go ahead and complain about the price, Anet doesn’t care and neither do the hundreds of thousands of other players who bought them.

Now call up customer service at Mercedes-Benz. Tell them, “I really like your cars, but there are other models which get better gas mileage and cost less. I would consider buying one if you lowered the price by 40%.” They could use a laugh.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Posted by: Cottage Pie.6215

Cottage Pie.6215

That cool molten effect can be seen from miles away in WvW. Good luck mining….enjoy the effect and the repair costs.

ha, so true

Taua Roqa – Desolation since day minus 3

~~~My Elite PvP Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04xOsNW7zTA

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Yes I did. It is a whole lot cheaper with real money than with game money for a casual player.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

Posted by: Zoldyck.6241

Zoldyck.6241

I find it… odd people talking about ROI in a game.

Posted by: Cottage Pie.6215

Cottage Pie.6215

It’s amazing you actually can buy one at all and anet haven’t put it up as a ‘pick pack’ that costs 500 gems and gives you a small chance of getting one. It offers no ingame advantages so I am basically completely opinionless about its existence, I don’t even mine ore lol.

Anet adding all this crap causes the gem price to spike though, which is gonna hit them hard as people wont be buying other store items/gems via gold.

They need to be careful.

Taua Roqa – Desolation since day minus 3

~~~My Elite PvP Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04xOsNW7zTA

Geotherma.2395

I find it… odd people talking about ROI in a game.

Agreed, people treating the game like some investment or economics beta program. People need to learn to just enjoy the game.. You can do this without ever buying anything off the gem store.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Such a kerfluffel over a $10.00 item.

If ten bucks can’t be blown for a bit of fun I don’t know how to respond.

What about Movies, Restaurants, Bars, Golf, Cable TV… they are all unnecessary to life, but how boring life would be without spending a bit of cash on fun nonsense.

I think to most folks ten dollars is not a whole lot of money especially in a day and age where one can blow five bucks plus on a coffee.

Are all these complaints about being cheap, poor, or just sour on life. Geeze!

I bought four so far. Great fun! Looks cool. I’ll never have to worry about running out of picks again! I may even buy more so all my characters have one.

Like others have said I too hope the other harvesting tools get the same treatment and soon.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Geotherma.2395

It’s amazing you actually can buy one at all and anet haven’t put it up as a ‘pick pack’ that costs 500 gems and gives you a small chance of getting one. It offers no ingame advantages so I am basically completely opinionless about its existence, I don’t even mine ore lol.

Anet adding all this crap causes the gem price to spike though, which is gonna hit them hard as people wont be buying other store items/gems via gold.

They need to be careful.

Yes, before they make too much money and become their own company and not a part of……… I’ll just stop there :P

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

I was wondering for the people that bought the picks, were you aware you can use your karma to buy Orichalcum picks? Or was it more of the convenience factor not have to ever be troubled with running out again.

I bet they add sickles and axes too eventually.

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

“…the convenience factor not have to ever be troubled with running out again.”

Yes, I think you have found my reason for buying some.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

(edited by Ferguson.2157)

Geotherma.2395

I was wondering for the people that bought the picks, were you aware you can use your karma to buy Orichalcum picks? Or was it more of the convenience factor not have to ever be troubled with running out again.

I bet they add sickles and axes too eventually.

But they take up space. Someone like me who carries 3 sets of each so i don’t have to WP all the time, find these unlimited items priceless. The molten pick takes 0 spaces, as it is equipped and not using up my precious inventory :P

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

“…the convenience factor not have to ever be troubled with running out again.”

Yes, I think you have found my reason for buying some.

This.

I’m actually considering buying a second one, but I really have no reason to keep multiple characters for gathering.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

You need like what, over 600 used pickaxes for it to be worth?
Way to waste your money.
And it’s soulbound too. By that time gw3 will be out.

Why do people never think before they buy? Learn to use your brain and do some math.

Edit: Here, for the people who never learned math:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1citm3/60000_uses_before_the_molten_alliance_pick_is/

Yep, I still dont know why people buy them. Depending on what I farm I go through ½-1 pickaxe (50-100 uses) per day, thats a minimum of 600 days before I see any benefit from the infinite one. We can say it would take me an avarage of 2 years if I farm every single day. And this is without counting in karma bought picks that are free.

People think they have gone even when they’ve gotten the gold back that they spent, but they miss the big picture, the effective uses of 1 infinite vs 600ish regular picks.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

tolunart.2095

Yep, I still dont know why people buy them. Depending on what I farm I go through ½-1 pickaxe (50-100 uses) per day, thats a minimum of 600 days before I see any benefit from the infinite one. We can say it would take me an avarage of 2 years if I farm every single day. And this is without counting in karma bought picks that are free.

People think they have gone even when they’ve gotten the gold back that they spent, but they miss the big picture, the effective uses of 1 infinite vs 600ish regular picks.

Everyone does not have the same priorities. For example, getting a pizza delivered might cost around $20. If you’re disabled and can’t work, spending $20 for one or two meals is a huge expense – you can pick up a couple packets of ramen noodles for under $1. But if you work 12 hrs a day, 6 days a week and pull in a good-sized paycheck then the value of having a hot meal delivered at the end of a long day is a bargain at $20.

It’s not just about the cost of x picks or how long it takes to make up the money.

Posted by: peppercosmo.6791

peppercosmo.6791

I love it ! waiting for the other two to come out ^~^ !!! Hurry please
worth 10 dollar ! one cup of soup cost around that -_-
10 bucks is not a lot if you are playing gw2 everyday…

Geotherma.2395

Thats some kitten good soup for 10 bucks :P Does it get you drunk? :P

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

why would you buy it with any kind of money?

Real life cash may be easier to come by than in-game gold for some.

Not only an infinite mining pick is useless because the normal ones are cheap but spending 10$ for pixels and pixels that aren’t even useful is kinda funny imo. Like not because its new YOU have to buy something as worthless…

Have you ever bought a DVD ?

Useless pixels on a disc, why buy those ?

OMG HAHA I love this comment.

What is a DVD? I have all these Blu Ray thingies… you kids and your new fangled technological gizmos!

Just as with games, I gladly pay extra not to get burdened with any quaint physical media.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

tolunart.2095

Thats some kitten good soup for 10 bucks :P Does it get you drunk? :P

I’d pay $10 for a good bowl of chili…

Posted by: Yramrag.3026

Yramrag.3026

I am flabbergasted – people are still arguing about this pick?

Do you guys know how much typical legendary cost? The time, the effort, the gold, the sweat, the tears? For what? A weapon that is as powerful as another exotic weapon that you can buy with a few gold? Why do people even do it?

Because it makes them HAPPY.

Why do people splash 800 gems to buy pick that proves it has some not so great animation effects (to some), that gives you an ROI only after 26 years (someone calculated), and is character bound? What were they thinking?

Because it makes them HAPPY.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

I am flabbergasted – people are still arguing about this pick?

Maybe people who have too much time to burn on a forum are exactly the sort of people who have no spare cash to spend on something they enjoy. Add a dab of narcissism, and we’re on page 8.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Signet of Forums.4397

Signet of Forums.4397

I think I changed my mind about this, which is very rare for this sort of thing. Guess you win this round, ArenaNet.

Therefore we proceed to write a sig.

Posted by: MuffinPieFace.9513

MuffinPieFace.9513

I don’t know if dev’s (or anyone really) are still reading this forum. At first I thought that the pick had the same kind of animation as the previous ones (or lack thereof). But I just watched a youtube video of it and I must say I totally changed my opinion of it. If there were a legendary equivilant of a pick axe, this would be it and for the animation alone I don’t mind spending the gold.

The only arguments I heard before were that it would take forever to make your money back, and that it was convienet because you would never have to buy more. But say really cool Molten Skin and you have my attention =P

[If you havn’t seen it in action please watch!!]

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

If it didn’t soulbind i would definatelly buy it, but as it is, sorry no deal.

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

i hear things being optional is a justification for them being hilariously overpriced. this is why all non-mandatory things in life are several times more expensive than they should be

like hilariously unhealthy comfort food

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

As said before i like the pick. Not becuase it saves me gold either…. the impact on that is pretty minimal. Anets cash shop has always revolved around the idea of ‘pay2belazy’ and now I can be truly lazy when it comes to mining picks. I will assume the same can be said for the sickle and axe in the next few months aswell.

I am also not worried about the prospect of further tiers down the road. I know that’s going to happen considering the colour of the item and that crafting hasnt been expanded on at all.
However, for 10 pound worth of gold i dont have to worry about that or in fact mining picks at all until it comes, which i assume is a long way off.

Now the item being soulbound is a little debatable. However, I do not think Anet had players purchasing 8+ picks in mind when predicting sales figures. Smart players will stick the pick onto a main or a few crating alts, chars they do the most gathering one etc.
Apart from aesthetics threres no real need to have the molten pick on every character, so theres no real need to moan.

tolunart.2095

i hear things being optional is a justification for them being hilariously overpriced. this is why all non-mandatory things in life are several times more expensive than they should be

Tell the guy in the shiny new Ferrari that he should have bought a 20-year old pickup truck for $500 because both get you from point A to point B but the Ferrari costs 100x more per mile, which means it will take another 350 years to pay for itself vs. the cost of the pickup.

Write down how long it takes him to stop laughing.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I bought one. Don’t know which alt I’ll throw it on though. My ranger isn’t fire themed or anything and I farm mostly with her. It would look cool on my Warrior, but he isn’t fire themed either. Maybe I’ll put it on my guardian, who is fire themed, but hardly ever farms. Or, more likely, it will sit in my inventory until I stick on someone just to clear the space…

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

I hear things you view as not being that you really don’t need nor really want is a good reason to cry on the forums about because it costs 10 bucks…. which is less than most of you spend in a day on food, coffee and other comfort items….. lol

Im sure that coffee or big mac has more worth/value than the digital item in question…. oh right it doesn’t because its gone in less than an hour and did nothing for your health. Or how bout that 20 bucks you blew on beer then kitten away not even 12 hours later.

Lets be real here. The amount spent on nonsensical things, that are gone in a matter of minutes or hours…. well its alot. And you you guys are sitting on a forums complaining about a mining pick that costs 10 dollars…. or free if you have the gold -.-. How many of you blow that amount in a day or week and have absolutely nothing to show for it.. just some perspective.

(edited by Namu.5712)

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

I don’t understand why so many people are interested in making this game a pay-to-win scenario.

If the pick wasn’t overpriced, then it would be an economic advantage to those who can afford it. Essentially, people with real money or lots of gold right now will have a clear advantage over people without (especially new players who come in after the pick is removed).

Why the heck would you want something like that in the Gem Store?

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

I don’t understand why so many people are interested in making this game a pay-to-win scenario.

If the pick wasn’t overpriced, then it would be an economic advantage to those who can afford it. Essentially, people with real money or lots of gold right now will have a clear advantage over people without (especially new players who come in after the pick is removed).

lol… not sure if your serious with this lol……

My level 4 alt that literally just start an hour ago has 1s 90c…. a mining pick for that level range is …. GASP 24 copper are you seriously calling a pick pay to win lol….. because they are very cheap in game to buy, the only downside is that they have a hundred uses…….

Wow some people blow my mind.

Posted by: Yramrag.3026

Yramrag.3026

How does gathering nodes “pay-to-win”? Unless each ore you mine also gives you a stack of Might boons that last 15min.

Geotherma.2395

How does gathering nodes “pay-to-win”? Unless each ore you mine also gives you a stack of Might boons that last 15min.

Wait.. They don’t?

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

For everyone that did not buy it because its soulbound there will be someone who bought multiples because it is soulbound so no loss to Anet here.

The success of this will probably prompt Anet to come out with an axe and sickle version. I hope the axe will be one that produce a whirlwind.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If people wanted an economic advantage, all they have to do is buy gems and sell them for gold. It doesn’t represent pay to win, because it’s so easy to get top level gear anyway, it’s ridiculous. It’s nothing more than a short cut, and not a long one.

The highest stat gear in the game, like ascended gear, can’t be sold on the marketplace and can’t be bought in the shop.

I think maybe you have a different definition of pay to win than I do. Hint: Saving a few coppers a day because you don’t have to buy a pick is not pay to win.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tell the guy in the shiny new Ferrari that he should have bought a 20-year old pickup truck for $500 because both get you from point A to point B but the Ferrari costs 100x more per mile, which means it will take another 350 years to pay for itself vs. the cost of the pickup.

Write down how long it takes him to stop laughing.

Courtesy of “Castle”:

“Dude do you know how fast those things go?”
“Same as any other car in rush hour traffic.”

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Why is everyone complaining? It’s a convenience item. Whoever buys it no longer has to worry about running out while questing/farming/etc. That’s it. It gives nobody an advantage in any way. It’s 800 gems. You could just as easily spend 400 gems to unlock an additional bag slot (also per character) and then buy Ori picks to fill up the bag. You’re still ahead monetarily speaking and you haven’t lost any bag space from where you were 10 mins before. And now you’ve convenienced yourself to not having to buy more picks until you mine like 1000×.

Also, things like the instant repair canisters are the exact same as this pick. Although not “overpriced” they offer an in-game convenience for gems. If your armor breaks you don’t have to chase down a repair guy and pay silver to fix it. Same thing: convenience.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

For everyone that did not buy it because its soulbound there will be someone who bought multiples because it is soulbound so no loss to Anet here.

Hey thats smart maths (apart from the fact that you completely made up the “for everone x there will be someone y” part). How about I counter your “argument” by equally made up facts: Every person who bought 8 picks for his chars would also have bought them if they had been account-bound, because he obviously has too much money on his hands and cannot be bothered to switch one pick around between all his chars. Those who did NOT buy the pick because it was not account-bound would have bought it in addition to all these people, thus adding a lot of sales to the pick. All those sales are now lost.

Hypothetical facts are so fun

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

Geotherma.2395

Hey thats smart maths (apart from the fact that you completely made up the “for everone x there will be someone y” part). How about I counter your “argument” by equally made up facts: Every person who bought 8 picks for his chars would also have bought them if they had been account-bound, because he obviously has too much money on his hands and cannot be bothered to switch one pick around between all his chars. Those who did NOT buy the pick because it was not account-bound would have bought it in addition to all these people, thus adding a lot of sales to the pick. All those sales are now lost.

Hypothetical facts are so fun

For every person in this thread who didn’t buy a pick, I spent 200 gems for in the last month each. Fact.

Shikigami.4013

Those alledged 200 gems each would not suddenly become un-spent, if the people who did not buy a pick would do so, so your point is as irrelevant as that other guys point with the made up facts. But I guess this kind of logic is too complicated for many. A lost sale is a lost sale, no matter what other people spent this week or last month, or what they say they did.

People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me

Geotherma.2395

Those alledged 200 gems each would not suddenly become un-spent, if the people who did not buy a pick would do so, so your point is as irrelevant as that other guys point with the made up facts. But I guess this kind of logic is too complicated for many. A lost sale is a lost sale, no matter what other people spent this week or last month, or what they say they did.

But your saying people would have bought them at a lower price maybe 3 dollars. Why not 1 dollar? Why not 50 cents?

For every 1 person who says they would have bought them for 200 gems, there is someone who spent 800 gems already. I can guarantee Arenanet is making a huge profit off of these sold at their current price. Anyone can come in and complain they should be 200 gems, 100 gems, why not free? The $ goes to support content, if people can’t afford $10 in the game then they shouldn’t buy it. Simple as that. You don’t go to a resteraunt and tell the owner that your food was too expensive and demand they lower prices.

This is a business, and to maintain the business prices are made to a certain point. You can yell at the guy in the drive thru all you want, the burger is still not going to get lower than 99 cents.

Also making them cheap lessens their appeal. As it is now most people think they are pretty awesome, how would everyone feel if legendarys were given to 50% of the population? Same affect, make that cool item worthless and unwanted.

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Shikigami.4013

I never said anything about more people buying them for a lower price. Also, exaggerating a lot will make your point look ridiculous, not valid.

Your answer to my post has no relation to my posts content, or the content of any of my other posts.

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

People… Do you like Guild Wars 2? Do you think you’ll be playing this for a very long time, mainly because of future updates and expansions? Well, then this is the PICK for you!! For the next several of years, fear not for you shall not need to worry and stress about “running out of picks again!” It is such a warm feeling, and the animation of the bursting flames assures your heart even further of how warm, comfortable, and relieving it really is!! Ever since I bought this pick, I don’t find myself pressing the H-key anymore to see how many more picks I really have!!

$10 for a pick? Not too bad. Some of us happen to make $10 in 30 minutes, though this isn’t true for all. Think about it!!! Buy this Pick today and feel what the relieved people feel, TODAY!

This product can cause irritation to the eye, a slight lag to a slow computer, and fearness if not death to pyrophobic people. Each sold separately, batteries not included.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

Geotherma.2395

I never said anything about more people buying them for a lower price. Also, exaggerating a lot will make your point look ridiculous, not valid.

Your answer to my post has no relation to my posts content, or the content of any of my other posts.

Sorry, my point was that even if there is people who complain about the price, there will be people who buy them. In fact there were many people that spent 100-300 dollars on the fused skin chance from BL chests. They made up for all those who didn’t Not saying the RNG skins is the greatest idea, but this is a guaranteed item, unlimited, with cool skin, for ANY level. And it costs less than anything i can get from a restaurant around here aside from soda. I just don’t see how so many people are complaining about an item that really has very little value in game other than its cool skin. Much like regular skins it is soulbound, and cost just slightly more than armor skins. Oh… and it is unlimited and actually functional. Instead of something that has no purpose like a plush backpack, or skins. They just have looks, if people don’t want to spend the money on looks then they can go without. They won’t die without a shiny pickaxe, at least i hope not.

Same people aren’t online qqing about the armor skins being 1 time use and their price. As players grew to accept the price of other things, so will they to this-in time.

Posted by: Rekia.1480

Rekia.1480

I love these convenience / cosmetic type items. I really love that Arenanet has done a great job keeping the store items as just fun extras and not anything game changing. I bought one with real money. I hope they keep adding fun stuff.