Mordrem Invasion Feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I get 10 stacks and stay around to help finish events for other people. I still rez. I’ll get what I want at the end of 4 days and you know, if I don’t get that stuff, my life will somehow continue.

Rewards in a game? The stakes are too low to change who I am for that.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I get 10 stacks and then go dance by the vendor while I watch netflix.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Yes, yes you are selfish. But that’s ok, I don’t hate the player I instead blame the maker of the game.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Ooshi.8607

Ooshi.8607

To get the 20 stacks necessary to get the15 blooms this is the only way to do it, so either the event was planned so that we would play this way or there just wouldn’t be a reward for hitting the 20 blooms.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

They should rename those potions to “Selfish Potion” instead. lol

While we’re at it, rename the game to Leech Wars 2: The Rampage of Mob-tagging.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

(edited by Valento.9852)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wouldn’t know. I walked away the first day, 2/3rd in of the first set of 3 and haven’t gone back.

On the other hand, I was richly rewarded with 5 (count them!) blossoms for my effort. (minus waypoint costs, of course).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

I get 10 stacks and stay around to help finish events for other people. I still rez. I’ll get what I want at the end of 4 days and you know, if I don’t get that stuff, my life will somehow continue.

I hate that attitude. It’s a GAME. Helping people does not equal altruism in real life. If you want to help the world get off your sanctimonious attitude and go help the world in real life. Helping people in game does not make you a good person. Just like PvPing does not make you a murderer.

You’re spending your time on entertainment like the rest of us. Roleplaying a good character does not actually make you a good human being. That’s just a hilarious notion.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

I hate that attitude. It’s a GAME. Helping people does not equal altruism in real life. If you want to help the world get off your sanctimonious attitude and go help the world in real life. Helping people in game does not make you a good person. Just like PvPing does not make you a murderer.

You’re spending your time on entertainment like the rest of us. Roleplaying a good character does not actually make you a good human being. That’s just a hilarious notion.

Lol somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed today

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Its the meta for this event so you are not selfish at all,there is no team goal on the map anyway ;(

Paulytnz.7619

I agree, perhaps said person has not had too many people be nice to them or help them in game so much? :P

Mightybird.6034

Was just something that had been building for awhile and I keep seeing. I dislike the excuse of people thinking they are being good human beings because they are playing a video game…

Sorry Vayne shouldn’t have directed so much of it at you as for all I know you do volunteer a lot.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

The optimal way would probably be rotating zergs so everyone can get over 20, but the map isn’t that coordinated I never got over 20 stacks so I’m in no position to lecture about the art of tagging but it sounds like a good idea if people can organize and follow certain rules like save big damage hits for champs and elites.

Paulytnz.7619

Was just something that had been building for awhile and I keep seeing. I dislike the excuse of people thinking they are being good human beings because they are playing a video game…

Sorry Vayne shouldn’t have directed so much of it at you as for all I know you do volunteer a lot.

I understand your point to a degree but what really irks me is when people say things like “it’s just a game”. It is more than a game it is also a community. If it’s just a game and we should have that mentality does that mean we have the right to be disrespectful to one another, mess with others for our own enjoyment? Of course not and I am sure you would not disagree with that.

Yet when it comes to where you went you are right. But still, for some of us positive actions = positive exp for all involved. Sure we may not be saving the world (who really can?) but we may just be making the day for someone else out there a little bit better. Now really is that a bad thing? The alternative to just not care or have such systems in game in place that work as this event did really just goes against how the game is usually presented to us and why we play this game.

Well that’s my 2 cents anyway. :P

Vayne.8563

Actually, who I am is who I am. That’s whether I’m playing a game, or working, or on the forums. What you see is what you get. That’s it. Me.

I don’t cheat at cards, and that’s just a game. Just because something’s a game doesn’t mean I have to change my behavior.

If you think it’s okay, that’s your call. It’s not okay for me.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Amazingly enough. There are people with feelings behind those pixels and if you treat them like they are another annoying game mechanic, they notice and feel something about it. Vayne is absolutely right to treat the players in the game with courtesy and respect, even if they are only showing up in front of him as pixels and he gets no monetary benefit from it. Players treating other players as disposable, annoying game features breeds a toxic game environment.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Arahzor.1832

Arahzor.1832

Thats the irony in this event for us selfless potion farmers..

We go to a event, we tag – we leave – we dont res people – we just wp and keep tagging to reach our 20 stacks for 15 blossoms..

It’s soon over hopefully..

Arahor Aure [DVDF]

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

Maybe it makes me a mean person, but I do the same with these kind of events.

I don’t look for good karma or altruism in real life from my actions in the game

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Posted by: flarezi.9381

flarezi.9381

When I earned my Selfless Potion I was running across in burning old lions arch helping and saving everyone I could from disaster which was Scarlet Briar. My priority list was :
1) save ALL villagers 2) kill mobs so villagers can get past them to safe exit. 3) collect heirlooms from rubbles.
I didn’t use guide for finding rubbles – My friend helped me a lot finding many and she loved finding those on her own.

Tho at the same event I earned Thoughtless potion and most of the people who wanted any of the potions was running from rubble to rubble not caring less about saving anyone.

You’re not selfless – you just trying to play the game.

Posted by: Kiteisa.3189

Kiteisa.3189

I feel as you do Vayne. I can’t go by a downed player. Or a dead one. I like to help people. IN game and out…

Nottsgman’s Girl ~ Half of the Dynamic Duo

Vayne.8563

I feel as you do Vayne. I can’t go by a downed player. Or a dead one. I like to help people. IN game and out…

I find helping people in game, sometimes, is also helping them out of game. I’ve made some real life friends from games in the past and even here in Guild Wars 2. Those friends are worth a lot more to me than a skin.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

The Op is making the point that he has to play selfishly in order to get the rewards he wants, along with probably 70% of other players at these events, I totally get what he is saying and I agree with him 100%. Does this make us bad people? no, what it does though is show how badly the reward structure was designed.

(edited by Vavume.8065)

Posted by: BeckaPL.2670

BeckaPL.2670

The Op is making the point that he has to play selfishly in order to get the rewards he wants, along with probably 70% of other players at these events, I totally get what he is saying and I agree with him 100%. Does this make us bad people? no, what it does is show though is how badly the reward structure was designed.

While I get you’re point, nobody HAS to do it that way. I’ve reached 20 stacks while actually helping with the events rather than leeching. Leeching is just a faster, easier way of doing it

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

The Op is making the point that he has to play selfishly in order to get the rewards he wants, along with probably 70% of other players at these events, I totally get what he is saying and I agree with him 100%. Does this make us bad people? no, what it does is show though is how badly the reward structure was designed.

While I get you’re point, nobody HAS to do it that way. I’ve reached 20 stacks while actually helping with the events rather than leeching. Leeching is just a faster, easier way of doing it

I’m going to have to call you out on that. It is basically impossible to get to 20 without being selfish about it.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I understand your point to a degree but what really irks me is when people say things like “it’s just a game”. It is more than a game it is also a community. If it’s just a game and we should have that mentality does that mean we have the right to be disrespectful to one another, mess with others for our own enjoyment? Of course not and I am sure you would not disagree with that.

Yet when it comes to where you went you are right. But still, for some of us positive actions = positive exp for all involved. Sure we may not be saving the world (who really can?) but we may just be making the day for someone else out there a little bit better. Now really is that a bad thing? The alternative to just not care or have such systems in game in place that work as this event did really just goes against how the game is usually presented to us and why we play this game.

Well that’s my 2 cents anyway. :P

Yes. On my first day I went and did something or other that was stupid and wound up dying. As I pulled up the map to WP I got the “a noble soul is healing you”. I started crying in RL. I knew there and then this was what I had hoped for and not just another MMO. That I wanted to see that attitude never go away.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

In a way, aren’t you sort of helping if you step out once you’ve got your stacks? I’ve seen a few people complain about not being able to tag anything, so less people gives others a chance to get stacks. Just a thought

Posted by: BeckaPL.2670

BeckaPL.2670

I’m going to have to call you out on that. It is basically impossible to get to 20 without being selfish about it.

People keep saying that but it really isn’t. It’s hard to get much more than 20 without being selfish, but you don’t need to. 20 and 35 mean the same thing. It’s more about prioritising the events you do. For example, the shield events take next to no time if people do them properly, the catapults don’t take long if people actually build the catapults and keep them alive, but the bombs always take long

Mightybird.6034

Actually, who I am is who I am. That’s whether I’m playing a game, or working, or on the forums. What you see is what you get. That’s it. Me.

I don’t cheat at cards, and that’s just a game. Just because something’s a game doesn’t mean I have to change my behavior.

NFW you’re a ranger IRL? How I become an elementalist for reals?

It’s a community yes. But it’s a community based in fantasy with no consequence. If people are having so much emotion tied up in the game that is a separate problem and not a cause for the argument that good or evil (or the lesser versions if you don’t believe in absolutes) can exist in a video game. (Before you say it, it could exist in real life and have influence in a game but that is getting too deep for this discussion.)

And people take my argument wrong. Despite the fact I believe my action in game has no real consequence that doesn’t mean I have to be a kitten.* I never said I was acting the same way in this event either (as OP), in fact I am just not doing it. But if other’s want too, they shouldn’t be called selfish in a video game, not seriously anyway.

*Just like an atheist can have morals and be nice even though he or she may not believe in a a heaven or hell…

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

I get the OP and don’t blame him. It’s not how I want to play the game, but I absolutely get it.

I will say, that whenever I see the halo on someone from now on, I will roll my eyes a bit and know what they had to do to get it. I can’t tell if you’ve had it for ages or just got it through this event, so they are all a bit tainted in my eyes.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This would be my attitude, except after trying the event…

I’m stricken with how boring … the entire thing was…

… and thus…

Let’s hope this event is not a preview of what’s to come in Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Well, I am also a very selfish player.

I looked at the reward and what was their cost, tried the 30 minute event and then decided that it was a waste of my precious time. So I do not help other to do the event, I do not help tyria against these mordrem since it’s simply boring and lack any decent reward.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: King Danny.3954

King Danny.3954

What the heck anet? This is the best you could do? I shudder to see what kind of garbage HoT will be if you keep this up. You could’ve just dumped the items into the gem store instead of making us waste our time with this. I don’t hate your game, but this really annoys me and most likely, hundreds, if not thousands of others. The first 3 times I did the event chain, 2 times didn’t give me anything. What is with your obsession with the stacks thing that reward at the end. I don’t see anything wrong with just giving us a bloom or 2 (which is ridiculous in itself) per event, and a daily chest after our first event. This is complete garbage compared to the silver wastes and I have to grind for blooms that I probably won’t even get, just so I can get a pair of gloves that I have no other way of getting. Please, instead of doing something as bad as this, just chuck the items into the gem store and we will all be much happier than this. You just made the game free to play, are you trying to get everyone to leave? This event thing is pathetic and has absolutely nothing new to add.

(edited by King Danny.3954)

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I don’t ignore the downed, because I know how much it sucks to be downed and watch hoards of people ignore you when it would take less than a second to help then back up. I don’t get mad at people for doing it, but I can’t bring myself to.

I go around harvesting nodes once I hit 10 stacks though, or help an event finish if it is struggling. My map loads too slow, and I have yet to hit 20 stacks because more often than not the event ends right as I approach it. If blooms were awarded per individual stacks rather than by tiers I would have some motivation to keep going, but in trying to close the gap between 10-20 I always just end up losing money on waypoints in the end. I don’t care for the current set-up at all.

It’s a community yes. But it’s a community based in fantasy with no consequence. If people are having so much emotion tied up in the game that is a separate problem and not a cause for the argument that good or evil (or the lesser versions if you don’t believe in absolutes) can exist in a video game. (Before you say it, it could exist in real life and have influence in a game but that is getting too deep for this discussion.)

And people take my argument wrong. Despite the fact I believe my action in game has no real consequence that doesn’t mean I have to be a kitten.* I never said I was acting the same way in this event either (as OP), in fact I am just not doing it. But if other’s want too, they shouldn’t be called selfish in a video game, not seriously anyway.

*Just like an atheist can have morals and be nice even though he or she may not believe in a a heaven or hell…

I’d like to think you have a point in here, but I can’t say I see it clearly buried underneath all of the hyperbole. Also, you mock people having emotions tied up in a video game, yet you completely blew up over someone on an internet forum about in game choices.

I get a nerve was hit somewhere, but I would recommend waiting to post responses to things like that until you have had a chance to cool down a bit. I say that not as an insult, but as someone who has personally had problems posting heated responses myself in the past. It doesn’t end well, and the point is almost always lost. -_-

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

After playing this game for this long, resurrecting players (and NPCs) has just become habit for me. I do it without even thinking.

I still stopped to resurrect players (and NPCs, hehe) during this event.
But don’t worry. I didn’t think anything about the people who ran past me.
Everybody plays the game that they want to play, you know? And nobody should judge you for the way that you play a game. : )

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

Selfish people will literally invent ways to be selfish if all other avenues are removed.

This post is a great example…

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I don’t feel like I’m being selfish by aiming for 20 stacks. Running and tagging is the only way you’re going to be able to reach 20 stacks (maximum reward)- if A-net hadn’t somewhat intended for this behaviour, they wouldn’t have put the threshold so high.

Also, if the rewards weren’t so stingy, or perhaps if there was also a 15-20 boundary, that would have made a difference as well.

Anyway, I’m sure it is possible for the majority of people to get 10-20+ stacks. The people camping one event are making a small difference DPS-wise for each event (considering overall they are running less = attacking more). There are plenty of events, and us “leechers” are also the ones who run in and finish the events off.

Moreover, I’m getting 20 stacks without just tagging one foe and running off. I tag a few groups, throw a few seeds, make sure I kill the shield blooms and hit the spawner for a good chunk, I’m the one defending and rebuilding the catas too. If somebody is downed next to me, I res them.

Yes, I do want to do as many events as quickly and efficiently as possible, but making sure I do more than absolute minimum means that the events are more likely to get completed and thus the event respawns sooner (meaning more events, right?).

And once I have 20 stacks, I’ll stick around the more needy events to make sure they have a better chance of completing, too.

So no, if you’re aiming for 20 stacks, you aren’t selfish. It may not be the most team-intensive/co-operative way of playing (compared to running around and ressing every corpse you see), but then the whole event isn’t geared like that anyway.

I also feel like when I’m running away from an event or getting out of combat, I always see another player or two running in to fill my spot anyway. I also find that if I jump towards an event with a group of commanders next to it with a small zerg attached, the events go far slower anyway, because of poor scaling. The events seem to get completed fastest with somewhere between 5 and 10 players.

(edited by Crimson Clouds.4853)

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

How did you managed to twist what Vayne said? It is very clear he is talking about personality and not profession much less a fantasy. That’s him, real life or game, he acts the same way because it is his personality and don’t think needs to change or act differently just because it is a game.

Seems like you want to separate one thing from other, real life and game, but you cannot impose your way into others. Some people are comfortable enough being themselves in a game, on a forums, on the internet, and want to keep that way. You should respect them for being true to themselves despite the hostile environment we might stumble upon.

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Sizer.3987

Sizer.3987

The two times i did these events yesterday i had no problem getting to around 10-12 stacks without ever leaving an event early. Thats 30 blooms (counting the daily, since im not going to be online for 6 hours to do each map more than once) compared to 35, so good enough for me. I mean if you NEED the selfless potions you have to go crazy building up stacks, but otherwise its way more relaxing to just do it normally.

Also considering the mobs die in like 3 seconds and events never fail even with people skipping, dont feel too bad. Its “selfish”, but it isnt really, not like say, running a dungeon with 3 guildies and 2 pugs, then kicking the pugs at the end to sell the spots, or something like that. Its poor design, but its not that poor, it would be much worse if you literally would fail events due to people leaving early, so it could be worse…

80 Mesmer – Yaks Bend

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Yeah here’s the thing – this event punishes you for caring about others and staying to finish events. I learned that the hard way. If maybe the skins I wanted cost 50 blooms, then 5 blooms per event would still be a grind but one that could be dealt with. Especially with the daily bonus.

But no. They’re 200-something so 5 blooms per event isn’t going to cut it at all. If I don’t tag to get those stacks up and pray the zerg hasn’t wiped out the event before I get there then I’ve wasted my time. Mind you, I’ve never gotten to 20, only 10, and I still zip around to help but I understand the ones who AFK. The whole thing is designed to function that way. The people whining about it in map chat don’t help – this isn’t Scarlet’s Invasions where farmers purposely broke the event to get champ bags and made sure it failed, this is a poorly designed glitchy buggy awful ‘invasion’ that’s only rewarding via tagging.

Basically, it stinks for everyone.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

They didn’t expect players to figure out the minimal work required to count as “helping” at each event. They should have tied it to medal level as well (bronze/silver/gold is 1/3/5 or 1/5/10) and then set up the reward scale appropriately.

Problem with in house testing is everyone will play it as intended and not “how do I game the reward mechanism?”.

But they made it impossible to get more than 20 stacks playing as “intended” (assuming they didn’t intend for tag and run in the first place.)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

This.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I don’t ignore the downed, because I know how much it sucks to be downed and watch hoards of people ignore you when it would take less than a second to help then back up. I don’t get mad at people for doing it, but I can’t bring myself to.

It almost seems like people racing each other to rez someone have gone somehow. For example, I was just in a Mordem fight (no, not related to the event, Iron Marches). I died and someone started rezzing me, I was about to type not to bother so they would not take damage but the monster died first anyway. With the danger gone the person WPed away. Okay, not even a silver in the WP fees but why would someone start rezzing someone then leave as soon as the danger to them dying went away?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

This.

Some believe that personal character is reflected in everything you do. You can’t be altruistic just sometimes if you are altruistic. This maybe a game but that doesn’t mean you can simply chuck your personal beliefs out the window and act entirely contrary to it. If you can then that wasn’t your personal beliefs but a mask you wear to hide your true self from others.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Ilona Test.6193

Ilona Test.6193

I see 2 problems with this event.
1) people tag events and run off to next one and don’t help finishing event. They do get reward for doing this.
2) Nobody does the building the siege event because it takes too long. So this one is useless.

I’d say give the people that finish event a bigger reward. And remove the sige one or give bigger reward for that one.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

The other depressing part about this is that there seems to be nothing ArenaNet is planning to do to rectify how awful the experience has been for players. Being head and shoulders above the competition means bending over backwards to provide the best game play experience for your players. There hasn’t been a hint of communication on this.

People that want this thing to go for 2 more weeks are part and parcel with the problem. Adding more time to this event does not fix the flaws in the event. I would want to have two more weeks in this event if the entire reward structure was revamped, if the encounters were made vastly better, if we got to see some of the new AI tech they have been puffing their chest out about and any of the content actually hinted at the fact these were new enemy designs from HoT. They aren’t though.

This event is an unmitigated debacle from a game play, communication, and design standpoint.

It doesn’t fix all the flaws but it still fixes some important ones like how expensive the prizes are relative to the time one has to farm the events. In two weeks suddenly the shoulders and potions look achievable in a reasonable time.

As for the other flaw (no loot drops from mobs or karma, coins, and experience from the events) it’s a simple enough fix.

That doesn’t address the issue with the game play though. People generally agree this event isn’t any fun. So asking for two more weeks of this is an awful idea. “Hey I want these items badly enough I am gonna do the awful busy work involved and play X amount of hours of this poorly implemented content” is not a solution. This doesn’t challenge ArenaNet to do a better job. All it does is let them know that you are invested enough time and money-wise in Tyria to spend a ton of time doing whatever it is they put in the game. That is a sad situation indeed.

As the lifeblood of this game and paying customers, we should respectfully request they do a better job and they should respectfully treat their customers better by releasing top-tier content like they say they do. They are always telling me how great their game is. Lately, it is my opinion that their actions are not matching their words. Quality is very spotty and it’s becoming the norm, not the occasional hiccup.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Ilona Test.6193

Ilona Test.6193

Infact seeing a Commander, I will not mention it’s name, just running all over the map tagging events and not even finishing one, is discouring to do the event at all. It’s simply fixed, after each event a champ should spawn that gives the reward. You can’t just tag the event then anymore. Of course the Champ should scale with the people there at that time.

Posted by: Voluptus.3509

Voluptus.3509

Regarding the reward system:

The reward costs will need to be increased to accommodate the following:

1) Tag and Run
This can be addressed by changing the credit system. In each event your reward is as follows:

1 Kill = 1 Mordrem Bloom
2 Kills = 2
3 Kills = 4
4 Kills =7
5 Kills = 11
6 Kills = 16
etc etc.

If you move to anther event, you start all over at one. This will create a strong incentive to get into each event as early as possible and stay until it’s finished.

2) Do away with only awarding blooms at the end and ESPECIALLY with awarding blooms in a way that you need 5 stacks or 10 or 20. These create an incentive to go afk once you hit 10 but may not have enough time to get to 20.
Replace it with the reward system above. It also makes every single kill count, from start to finish.

3) Increase the cost of rewards as necessary however don’t make the costs double for each level up. IE: 225 for a skin but 450 for a potion is no good. With the increased points it might look more like 10000 for a skin but 13000 for a potion.

Anyway, it’s an idea. Hope it helps.

Scott

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I have nothing all that unique to add here. Due to moving house, I only had a chance to play for an hour during the event and experienced only one invasion. I got a couple of blooms but mostly I remember running from one invasion zone to the next, trying to hit something. Usually, there were tons of other people there and most of the time I didn’t arrive in time to hit anything before it died. Often I hit a bandit or ettin from some normal event that got in the way. I got a pink key and from what I understand there are two more to get to open some chest. I’d have liked the event to run for a week or even several so I could have seen what that’s about but I only had enough gold for one purchase at the time and I’m not sure I could have collected more quickly enough to purchase much else, even if the event ran longer. Hopefully, I’ll get more time to participate in the next event.

What intrigues me, though, is the discussion that must have happened in designing the merchant and deciding to charge 10 gold in addition to blooms. It’s been said that the event was targeted mostly at F2P players, who don’t seem like a demographic that would readily have plenty of disposable gold. It would seem these two things are at odds. I’m just curious what that discussion was like. This isn’t a judgement. I’m familiar with situations something like this and the difficulties. I just wonder what factors lead to the decision.

Posted by: Inverse.2967

Inverse.2967

My final closing verdict is this:

- At first I didn’t like it, as by looking at the reward scheme and the vendor prices I already knew what was coming instantly

- Then I started to really hate it, as I could not resist the shinies and grinded out the trophy that i wanted, it was an agonizing grind and waiting around

- After I got what I wanted and all the tension about “how much blooms will i get” went away, I found playing the event again just for lolz was actually super fun to do, no matter the technical details here or there.

- Also I learned a lot about ANet handling feed back given through their forums, by reading all the interesting feedback given in the now merged 2 big threads.

- Unfortunately there was very little coverage about this weekend on the usual youtube channels, that was a bit underwhelming.

This is how it went for me.

Posted by: BrosefStalin.3475

BrosefStalin.3475

Okay, so I won’t focus on the rewards system itself since it seems like it was critically panned by most. I won’t even focus on the rewards themselves, either, aside from one quick thing here – A little more info on what drops from the bags beyond “items to help create Mawdrey and items from the Maguuma Wastelands” would be nice. I only did the events to help out a friend, and got enough for two said boxes. I got an inscription and an insignia (one from one box, the other from the other) and that was that. More info on quantity of items and perhaps a range of possible items in game? I hate having to pull up the wiki pages to determine what item would be the best to get.

Now, on the event itself. I was okay with the tasks, they seemed simple enough for players to do – kill volatile husks to get bombs to throw at the vine crawler. Build siege to shooot at “out of reach” vine crawler. Easy to know what was being expected. I think back to Scarlet’s knights and remember people not understanding to get the synergy buff to deal full damage, and even people not knowing to dodge the AoE attack circle (still an issue, after 3 years of being out) and how it either was unclear or hidden in the special knight-only buff how to deal full damage to the enemy.

Two problems I found were:
1 – Not knowing if you got credit for killing an enemy to count towards helping out with the event. Without loot or EXP from kills, it’s all a hunch of whether we were dealing enough damage to enemies to count towards helping out with the event. Make them only drop a low level junk trophy or give 1 EXP so we know we are getting credit for participating. Make some other method to tell if we are or not if you really care about people having too much EXP or loot drops, but let us know we will get credit somehow.

2 – Events were spread out and all active together. The issue here is finishing up your event you’re close to when the invasion started means you need to find another event. The only problem is there was no way to tell if an event would be still mostly undone or nearly finished. This results in warping around waypoints and running, only to find that when you get into event range there’s only 2 Mordrem enemies left and they are usually killed before you can tag them enough for credit for the event. This blends into the rewards system slightly. If you’re going to track completed events as your level of loot benefits, you need to either show completion amounts of the events across the map, or turn it into a chain of events, where completing the first unlocks two new events, then once both are done it unlocks 3, etc, or just keep a couple larger, longer events and give the map the reward tier like helping Lion’s Arch, everyone gets the same reward so help out and get every event done for maximum reward. It’s quite frustrating to be trying to build up your own reward level and be warping around 6 waypoints trying to find fresh events to make sure you can participate. Find a solution either by meta-event chain progress, map reward level, or even bonus tokens on kills.

After ;earning the amount of tokens you get, and what the rewards were, I quickly moved to other areas once my friend get the bonus daily tokens. The rewards just weren’t worth the time, the timed event session and tying the rewards to events completed kind of orchestrated a flop of an event. I had no interest after one 3 hour chain of the events. I enjoyed the Mad King’s labyrinth and that was literally just running around and killing mobs for bags with the occasional champ/legend thrown in. Simple, easy to learn outside from the one boss that gave everything retaliation, and the rewards felt adequate for also leveling up a new low-level character in a decently fast way that also gave special bag drops. Even the “help evacuate Lion’s Arch” living story event was more interesting and rewarding than this invasion event, and while repetitive, it felt worthwhile to try and do.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

After four days and too many times, let me jot down my thoughts after a good night sleep.

The individual events, the three different kinds, were fine, with caveats. All three were designed around the concept of a three teams coordinating the take down of each type quickly. The only problem was as every other group event, organized teamwork was as good as a soccer(football) match of 7 year olds where everyone chases the ball. But that’s not the devs fault.

Then there are those caveats. First in Brisbane having events spawn in close proximity (almost on top of) Toxic Offshoots with their nightmare AOE. At least one catapult event had one catapult inside the nightmare field. Fighting a battle on two fronts hamper the ability to finish that one quickly.

Second in Kessex, several times existing map events contested nearly every waypoint on the map, making you waste precious time getting to the next event.

Third terrain sometimes made the bomb events difficult to do. One in Kessex and one in Brisbane in Skrittsburgh where the bomb carriers were deposited some distance away requiring transit time to reach them, dispatch them and then run with the bomb back to a range where it can be tossed.

Lastly spawn level in some locations. I noticed this in Diessa with a shield generator event. I was downleveled to 20, meaning a level 19 area, yet the vine spawned at 27 and the generators at 24. It took way longer to dispatch this event, needing three rounds of destroying the generators than a similar shield event just north of Nageling where the level of the vine was more inline with me being level 20.

====

Now the meat of the problem, the reward system and the rewards themselves.

Let’s talk about the rewards. Two major issues. First some were simply stupid. 50 Luck? A Case of Sand? A UniDye? A random rare gear item? Not compelling. Second, there’s the addition of spending coin besides blooms. I know this was done before but it was done for events where you get coin from participating making it coin neutral or at least less burdensome for those without a pile of gold.

Now the reward system. Tiered, timed zone participation determined by minimum level of participation in completed events. This has been beaten into the ground but a reward mechanism that assigned blooms at the end based on each completed event’s gold/silver/bronze participation could have rewarded a player that stayed and cleared fewer events as much or more blooms than a tag and dash player. I would say half of the map wide events I did I only got 9 done and thus denied 5 more blooms for one more event where if I decided to tag and dash I could easily get ten and sit back for 15 minutes waiting for the event to end. That leaves a very bad taste in one’s mouth. As it was once I got 10 done and knowing there was no way to get 20 done with the time remaining, I had reduced motivation in helping my fellow players, especially knowing the taggers were waiting for players like me to do the heavy lifting by staying as they flit around like butterflies and waiting to see how many events paid off.

At least toward the end Sunday evening there were taggers complaining that they only got 19 because more of the participants choose to tag rather than stay, slowing down the rate events were being cleared. And they got angry at everyone else that they didn’t get their 20.

====

I understand what you were trying to do with this, but the system of rewards you designed to reward participation for the entire 30 minutes was too easily gamed. Only half of the rewards were interesting to get and the addition of coin requirement while no coin was rewarded during the event at all placed a burden on newer players who may have had time to acquire the blooms needed but not have the coin part needed for the item. I think you swung the pendulum to far to the other side as a result of the Scarlet Invasions from LS1 so players would try for zone participation rather than critter farming and overcompensated. Hopefully next time you can find a more balanced approach.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)