Mordrem Invasion Update: 11 September 12:30 PM

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The never specified a time, they said that it would take a couple of days.

Here is also a good tool to see what the devs have posted: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/devtracker

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Since you seem to be a font of knowledge and I dont have time to go through 17 pages, have they said when we would be getting the missing blooms from 1st day? Since last I heard was at the end of event, and its ended and I still dont have my day 1 awards.

You heard wrong? They very clearly communicated that those rewards would be going out, eventually, and that the NPC vendor was sticking around for a while. At no time did they say you’d be getting them immediately after the event.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

I only participated in the Mordrem Invasion for one map invasion. This is why.

1. This event was almost identical in mechanics and overall feel to the Scarlet Aether/Twisted/Molten invasion. Though that was somewhat interesting because it was new, this Mordrem event left me with a ‘been there, done that’ feel. Like the Scarlet event; Invasion starts, WP to closest mini event, attack, complete mini event, no drops, WP to next mini event, repeat, repeat, repeat till time runs out, collect Blooms.
  2. After I completed and got my 30 Blooms I looked at the vendor to see what the Blooms could get me. Honestly, everything that was offered for whatever price, I either had no interest in or already had (yes I have the Selfless Potion, Mini Twisted Watchwork Moa, hundreds of Unidentified Dyes, Ascended Spinalblade backpiece[Red and Blue] and Mawdrey II), so many of the items for sale were of no interest.
    I will probably end up buying 6 cases of sand in hopes for a few keys.

So after the first map invasion, I just lost interest and went back to playing the core game. Now granted, I am definitely NOT a farmer/repetitive content completer, so maybe this event was just not for me and that is fine.

Therefore, my personal opinion of the event was: Lackluster

Posted by: Seod.7924

Seod.7924

I found this event really bad. First, it was too short, it should of been at least 1 week long.
As a husband, father and working man, I pretty much only had Saturday and Sunday to farm this event. Even then, I’m 65 blooms short of 450.

Second, lost of stacks were a real pain in the butt. I got disconnected at least 3 times during this event where I lost 15+ each time.

Lastly, the lack of gold and karma made the event tedious and felt more like a chore.
I wasted at least 1 gold, just by teleporting all over the map, killing stuff that gave 0 money back.

For future events like this one.
Please, do the following.
1. Make it last more than a few days.
2. Make it so that stacks last X-min on you even after disconnecting. So if you crash or for some reason got to logout for 5 min, you won’t start from scratch upon returning
3. Either make mobs drop or at the end of the event, you get a small reward of silver and karma.

Posted by: Quiznos.4296

Quiznos.4296

3 things should be relayed to players via in game mail.
1. Vendor location change to Priory area EDIT: DOUBLE CLICK
2. Even if they’re not scheduled for blooms for day 1, we should know so we’re not waiting around for something that isn’t coming.
3. If blooms are going to be “retired”

I already have enough event specific items I’m holding on to “just in case” new or different rewards will come out, if the event will be held again at some point, etc.

For example, I have 210 blooms, idk if I should hold on to them in hopes of getting more at a later date, and being able to get the shoulders and gloves I want? Or just spend them all on what I can afford? Or are there going to be different rewards or a mystic forge recipie released later I should save them for?

Having a “The current rewards available are all that will ever be available for X currency. No further acquisition of X will be possible.” type message would be GREAT. (And not just for blooms)

(edited by Quiznos.4296)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Are there any vendors left for Mordrem Blooms? I got up this morning and the event is apparently over and the vendors are gone. Hopefully there is a vendor around Lions Arch after the event like they have done previously.

If you double click the blooms they say there is a vendor in the Priory.

Posted by: Kelvran.9047

Kelvran.9047

A lot of anger and complaints over this event, which is unusual for Arenanet.

These I feel can be broken down into 4 root causes.

1) Gameplay (tag and run, every man for himself) – There are tons of great ideas already in this thread to improve this.

2) New player rewards. Add in stuff that new players would like at the rewards vendor and don’t charge additional gold for them – they don’t have the gold to spend. Two items that come to mind that veterans wouldn’t want (why spend blooms on that which you don’t need) are bags and boosters.

3) Bloom rewards need to be revisited. They’re low.

4) And finally, GET RID OF RNG IN THE EVENT REWARDS!!

Let me elaborate on point 4. I spent 12 hours this weekend, opened up about 30 Memories of Scarlet boxes and got… worthless junk. A total waste of time.

Its pretty obvious that this happened to a lot of people. You folks at arenanet can confirm based on server metrics – but as a player there are some very good indicators of this.

Just Look at what you offered:

Case of Sand – junk.

Essence of Luck – outright ripoff.

Bag of Rare Gear – at 50s this is an outright ripoff, not even counting the 30 blooms you’re also asking.

Arid Dusty Satchel – worthwile if you get the sentinel’s insignia, otherwise junk.

Minipets – a pretty good deal if you like mini’s.

Shoulder skins, glove skins and tonics – great if you actually want these, although expensive and a massive farming requirement.

So the people going after shoulder skins, glove skins, tonics and mini’s are pretty much happy for the most part. They understand the grind commitment and have certainty on the outcome. But I doubt there are a lot of them as I have only seen a couple of players actually wearing the new skins.

So veterans that were not after the skins or tonics were after something else. The only other thing thats remotely worthwile is the Memories of Scarlet box. So logically a large number of players were doing exactly what I was doing, going for the nice items inside those boxes. But over the entire course of the event I saw exactly one player link an enameled dye in map chat. I’m pretty confident that the RNG drop rate on the good stuff sucks.

People will happily grind away for a reward that they want if the expectation is certainty – even if the gameplay is every man for himself. Now you have a lot of anger and a lot of complaints – its not coming from the people grinding certainty, and its not coming from the few that got enameled dyes or dreamthistle skins or ley line skins. Its coming from the rest of us that got screwed by the RNG and wasted their time doing an event that they would otherwise have not done if the drop rates on those boxes were known in advance.

Want a fun metric to look up for your internal laughs and giggles? Check out how many players participated and subtract the number of players that took the tonics, took the toxic skins, took the minipets for a reward, and also subtract the ones that got a lucky drop from a Memories of Scarlet box. The number that you’re left with are players that are unhappy with Arenanet. Please, go show that number to the next developer that wants to make an RNG box for an event reward.

Posted by: Tiny Doom.4380

Tiny Doom.4380

Not sure how far down this ginormous thread anyone’s likely to still be paying attention but for what it’s worth I thought I’d say that i enjoyed the Mordrem event.

Yes, it was buggy but after three years of virtually every temporary event being buggy I was ready for that. It got fixed reasonably quickly. I still think GW2 could do with a real Test server for this kind of thing – the evidence is overwhelming that whatever internal testing you do is inadequate. I know there’s a strong desire to keep new stuff secret but in the trade-off between being surprised and getting events that actually work I think the balance is a little off.

The gameplay, which others have heavily criticized, was close to what I prefer and also to what I see as GW2’s USP. I play GW2 at least in part because it features a lot of easy-mode content for very large groups of players. There are few if any other MMOs that do it (Rift being the main one I guess) and none that do it nearly as well.

I am not at all interested in the current drive towards more “challenging” content, nor more organized or structured content such as DT/SW model and HoT is going to focus on. I like running around in a huge gang mowing down things that can’t fight back very effectively. Been doing it for three years and not bored of it yet, not even close.

I also purely LOVE chaos. I loved the events being layered on top of each other. I loved having a Mordrem event at a Toxic event and a centaur warband running through the middle of it all. That is exactly the kind of scenario I always imagined GW2 might provide when you were hyping the Dynamic Event system back in beta.

In those respects I had a fun time, hugely more so than I ever have in DT/SW. That said, it was nowhere near as good as the Scarlet Invasions. The placement of the Spawners was fixed. After a few rounds I knew what would spawn where all the time. The lack of any Bosses or culminating mega-event was weak. It did seem quite thrown-together.

Having been here since the beginning I know why champions didn’t drop champ bags. I have no idea why no loot dropped at all, though. The obvious loot would have been the blooms themselves but surely a little coin and some trash loot wouldn’t have wrecked the economy?

As for no XP or Karma – what was that about? This was to some degree touted as an event for new players. It was in low level maps. Why on earth not give those new players at least the same rewards they get from the rest of the Dynamic Events they now probably can’t do because of all the 80s zerging around?

Rewards, as in skins, potions, minis etc don’t interest me much. I would never do any event I didn’t enjoy just because it had some glitzy item attached. I ran the Mordrem events every evening and all day Sunday because I was having a great time with the gameplay as I said above.

That said, the way those rewards were attached to a 4-day event was reckless. Many people have pointed out that it would require people to go without sleep and play non-stop to get several of the top ones and as game developers, particularly MMO developers, you must know that some people WILL do that. It’s irresponsible.

I would recommend in future that if events are of short duration either there should be no rewards attached that cannot easily be obtained in other ways or that it should be made clear that there will be future opportunities to get the rewards. Personally I’d do events like this for no material rewards other than XP and Karma and regular drops but I appreciate I’d probably be doing them with two or three other people!

Other than that, I just wanted to say that for all the flaws I’d very much like to see more events like this in the future and fewer overly-structured ones like we seem to get nowadays. Don’t let all the negativity put you off – if you tweak events like this, particularly around the timeframe and reward structure, they will find a receptive audience. Many people DO like to zerg despite what the naysayers like to tell you!

Posted by: Ronnie Hu.1694

Ronnie Hu.1694

I suggest the Devs don’t do time attack event anymore.
Don’t we have enough time attack on every world boss?

the event can change to be like this:
add the counts for the event done
if player finish the invasion with like 50 times the invasion will stop, or else the invasion is continue. so we don’t have to rush and do it with casual.

exp, karma and bags are the holy triangle of the gw2 events, Please never remove them.

and remember world events is for casual players, you can make them slightly harder but don’t do any extreme hard open world event (the triple wurm). Please leave the hardcore content in the dungeons or raids

(edited by Ronnie Hu.1694)

Posted by: Bettik.4982

Bettik.4982

look. the only possible thing the devs could have done to improve this event was to make the selfless potion cost more blooms than the thoughtless….

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

What annoys me most about this event is that there were several quick, easy fixes that would have taken a trivial amount of time for a programmer to implement, but nobody could be bothered to do it.

That’s what gets me. Simple things to do: Make rewards better.
That’s most of what people’s complaints were.

Getting 5 measly blooms unless you hit a threshold of being a kitten just isn’t good. Especially when the top rewards were 450 blooms.

That’s 90 full-round events. If you did well, half that to 45 for getting 10+. (I’d include 20+, but that involved not-as-intended behavior.)

45 full-round events is 22.5 hours of playing just that content in one weekend. Which also involves half-hour periods of waiting for the next event to start, and an additional hour in ‘downtime’. That’s a total of 60 hours of gaming. Two and a half days of orienting one’s life around digital rewards, over a single weekend period.

How to math, ANet?

I’m normally fairly lenient with ANet in light of mistakes, but I consistently see poorly planned designs that are often waved away by simple math and earning/hour calculations. And it makes me worry for HoT. :\

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Perhaps:

Have stacks be a buff granted by using a consumable which stacks effect with multiples of itself.

Have that consumable be granted from a chest at the end of an individual event.

Have the chest be placed at the scene of the event.

Have the quantities of the consumable be aligned with character participation in the event (bronze, silver, gold). Higher participation means more of the consumable.

Have mobs drop, but at a rate below the norm (perhaps 50% of normal)

Have the consumable buff increase drop rates as well as determine bloom rewards.

Have more events spawn simultaneously but shorten the duration of each individual invasion. This should allow for about the same number of potential event successes while, hopefully, encouraging players to spread out more for most of the invasion.

I think a big boss spawn after defeating the invasion could be a fun addition as well.

Posted by: Niraven.9417

Niraven.9417

Now that the weekend event is over and I’ve had more time to think on it, I wanted to come back and share my constructive post-event feedback. This is what I’d like to see if the event, or something similar to it, were ever to resurface. Some things are big, some not-so-much, but all are important in my book:

• “Next invasion starts in:” timer under Mordrem Assault.
    Reason: Many players seemed confused about the event times and often asked in the map chat.
  • No one hour breaks between invasions. Make it a continuous event.
    Reason: The break seemed “too” structured for an Elder Dragon’s testing of Tyria’s defenses. A half hour break between events on a continuous cycle would have been fine in my book. While there may be concern about getting enough people into a map, I believe this is largely alleviated by the megaserver system. Even when I joined maps mid-invasion, having enough players wasn’t an issue.
  • If it’s a weekend event, make it a multi-weekend event.
    Reason: This event was large/new enough that a single weekend felt a little gimmicky. This would give players more opportunities to play and gives players who might not have had a chance otherwise to give it a go. This also provides players more time to obtain rewards without making it “full living world content”.
  • Remove waypoint costs during invasions.
    Reason: A map-wide event should promote easy access. I ended up forfeiting a gold or more per night for all the jumping around I had to do as a level 80 character (ouch). You could additionally make this immersive by including in the mail received by the player, “The asura have temporarily alleviated waypoint costs”, or something to that effect. Of course, this issue could also be minimized quite a bit if my later points are taken into consideration.
  • Waypoints should become uncontested automatically during invasions.
    Reason: Contested waypoints made navigating the map during invasions extremely difficult, particularly in instances such as Brisban, when all Skrittsburgh points were contested, or Kessex, when all northern waypoints except Sojourner’s and Fort Salma were contested. On a similar note…
  • All default dynamic events map-wide should cease upon start of the invasion.
    Reason: Not only did this contest waypoints, but there were numerous instances of these events overlapping with the invasion events, causing a great deal of chaos and excessive aggro for many. The area in which this got particularly ugly was when vine spawners overlapped with toxic offshoots in Kessex. The cliff spawner south of Cereboth Waypoint had a catapult that was actually inside the toxic offshoot’s poison ring. Many of these issues could be avoided entirely by the map-wide “shut down” of dynamic events during invasions.
  • An NPC should be present at the catapult vine spawner events.
    Reason: Immersion. Having catapults and repair hammers magically spawn (and having to look for the repair hammer box) felt, to be blunt, gimmicky. Adding an NPC shouting “Quick, help me assemble the catapults!” from the repair box would have been great.
  • Additional Priory members/NPCs talking about the event and/or present.
    Reason: Having one NPC per city, and only the merchant in the applicable maps present, felt underwhelming considering the fact map-wide invasions were happening.
  • Targettable default map enemies should despawn within an event area during invasion.
    Reason: Players had difficulty targeting, and nobody wants to worry about ettins or Ascalonian ghosts when there’s Mordrem at hand. It wouldn’t be hard to believe the Mordrem simply “gobbled them up”, either.
  • Rewards should be determined by participation, not stacks.
    Reason: Tag-and-run. One of the (beautiful, I might add) core gameplay qualities of GW2 is that it encourages players to stay and work together. I would divide participation into two categories: individual (per event) and map-wide (per invasion). More on those two in the next two points..
  • Events should behave as normal events, with completion bonus chest rewards (just like in the Silverwastes).
    Reason: This is a fantastic opportunity for a new or low level player to really level their character up and get excited about participating in events. Experience and karma should be rewarded, just like any other event. Additionally, a bonus chest appearing in the lower right per event completed, instead of the event stacks, would have made events feel more rewarding, encouraged players to stay, and have distributed rewards more evenly. Tagging would no longer be more efficient, or even necessary, and this would be a life-saver in the event of a disconnect. I would suggest this as an example:
    *Event completed, gold level reward= 3 blossoms
    *Event completed, silver level reward= 2 blossoms
    *Event completed, bronze level reward= 1 blossom
  • A map-wide bonus should be in effect during an invasion, per number of events completed.
    Reason: Teamwork and rewards. This dynamic would work similarly to how “pacman” down in the Hidden Depths of the Silverwastes works when the vines blocking the passage have withdrawn. For every x number of events completed, players get a bonus chest or reward map-wide. They should probably participate in at least 1 event per stack to be eligible. Example:
    *10 events completed= players map-wide receive 5 blossom bonus.
    Number of player events required: 1
    *20 events completed= players map-wide receive 10 blossom bonus.
    Number of player events required: 3
    Etc. The numbers aren’t exact, but something to this effect. What you’d see are people saying “Need more at [waypoint]” instead of every man for himself. Completing events would benefit everyone and promote teamwork and communication.
  • Events should be scaled (at least to a mild degree).
    Reason: Many events or enemies in the game are already scaled. This encourages success regardless of map size. The event over the weekend was the first time I ever experienced problems with anything remotely like “kill stealing” in GW2. A mild scaling would ensure people could get their hits in when an area is overrun with players. This in particular was what doomed one of my low level friends: their Level 18 character simply couldn’t do enough dps to qualify for participation in any of the events, regardless of landing their hits, or enemies would go down too fast.
  • If a player disconnects, their rewards should be preserved for a limited time.
    Reason: One of my guildies got disconnected 3 times during the event at a 19 stack, only to have it wiped out despite being able to get back in game and to the same map within 1 minute. Unfortunately, the carry-over fix for disconnects didn’t work for them, so this is a general “would be good in future events”.
  • Addition of Mordrem Guard champion(s).
    Reason: Not only was this promoted right in time for the event, but it would have been an excellent opportunity to show off the new enemies and systems of HoT. The Mordrem from the Silverwastes have been around for a while now, so the appearance of the “new guys” would have been something to look forward to. Now before someone shouts “champ train”, this is how I imagine their appearance would work:
    Prerequisite: Per (example) 30 events completed; or if the “max number of bonus stacks” (example, 50 events map-wide?) are reached within the invasion timeframe, a notification shows up: “Mordrem Guard will spawn at x location(s) in x minutes!” Or perhaps the champs simply spawn over the last current 5 event locations. Players can opt to just kill the champ where they’re at, or coordinate map-wide for everyone to get a shot at each of them. But if they fulfill the prerequisites and it’s once per invasion, why not? It’s something exciting to look forward to and a reason to stay for the duration of the invasion. Perhaps a player has to have x number of stacks from the map-wide bonus in order to qualify for the champs dropping loot (to discourage people idling or not participating/only camping). It’d be a fun “finale” to each invasion. A timer would indicate “Mordrem Guard will withdraw in:” so it could remain within the invasion window, and not interfere with normal map-wide events once the invasion stopped.
  • Balance rewards so they’re obtainable moreso through participation, and less-so through grinding.
    Reason: Some people simply don’t have the time to participate in events over and over and over, but they should still be eligible for a good reward, while people who do have the time should be eligible for multiple good rewards. This is something I’ve enjoyed in past events. I’m of the mindset that if someone were to participate in all three map rotations per day, every day of the event, that alone should be enough for them to get a high-end reward. That’s still a minimum of an hour and a half a day. If someone wants to do multiple runs to earn more, let ’em, but quality over quantity when it comes to events participated in.
  • If it’s a multi-weekend event (encouraged), add achievements.
    Reason: Who doesn’t enjoy achievements? It’s more to work toward and more reason to participate in the event multiple times. I personally would really enjoy, if the event went on for 4 weekends, that if a player participated in the event on each of those 4 weekends, they get a special achievement/bonus chest.

Perhaps one of the saddest aspects of this event for me, aside from how it felt very anti-GW2 community spirit in working and playing together, was the fact that it felt so very gimmicky in a game that has otherwise been wholly and beautifully immersive. At one point I realized that I had completely lost sight of the Mordrem being a threat during the invasion. They were nothing more than a currency, and their threat didn’t feel serious. It didn’t even feel “canon”.

That being said, I think an event like this has a lot of potential. While this weekend was painful, I think this was a very good (albeit, again, painful) learning experience on what definitely doesn’t and won’t work. I hope you guys are able to take my feedback, and the feedback of others, and do something great with it. We’ve seen it before and for all the things you guys have done right, I’m sure you can do it again.

Mains: Momoka Mu (Charr Ranger), Rush of the Inquest (Asura Engineer)
Server: Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Cdoto.4920

Cdoto.4920

I already posted in this thread, but it was more a general approach than specific suggestions for future events. Thought I’d put my 2cp in on that topic.

(This is on the assumption that “invasion” type events are meant to encourage working together to complete shared objectives, that approaches like the “tag and ditch” or “don’t finish, champ farm” are unintended and undesirable behaviors, and that the systems and rewards should incentivize this and feel like a worthwhile use of time aside from the value of “the experience”.)

-If the invasion consists of series of events, and you’re trying to track personal contribution through a buff, only pulse the buff to people in the area of the event. This is the best suggestion I’ve seen to discourage tag & ditch tactics… it means you’re optimally rewarded for helping groups actually clear objectives as quickly as possible, like you would if you were actually trying to drive the invaders out. (Alternately, you could have the objective target [spawner vines, for example] spawn an object on death to interact with that gives a stack of the buff, but avoiding bugs/abuse might be even more problematic with that implementation.. not sure how things work under the hood.)

-Tracking personal contribution through a buff is a good idea, but it absolutely needs to persist through a discon. I did three rounds of the event before I gave it up and have yet to see a blossom, simply because of client crashes. That does not feel good.

-I understand (and agree with) the idea of not having the mobs drop loot, especially after the perverse champ bag incentives from the Scarlet Invasion, but NO gold/karma/xp is a bit much. I would propose that the events themselves should give some money and xp, based on bronze/silver/gold, and possibly even give a champ bag or something at gold. That would go a long way toward making the event rewards actually feel like a net gain, even if they’re still technically not, and further encourage swift completion of objectives.

-The four day duration is a bit punishing. The rewards aren’t new unique stuff, so it’s not THAT big a deal, but as someone with other obligations this weekend it would have been nice to have some hope of getting a nice reward. Just a week would have been MUCH better, so as to allow people who have non-standard schedules to make up some progress.

Thanks for the effort and the communication. See you in the jungle.

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

If the event is never to be repeated, perhaps the tokens could be used on a future event instead, please?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: Rachiia.6045

Rachiia.6045

I’m normally fairly lenient with ANet in light of mistakes, but I consistently see poorly planned designs that are often waved away by simple math and earning/hour calculations. And it makes me worry for HoT. :\

I feel the same way. I’m more concerned about HoT after this event, now.

I’ve played the beta weekends and I was already concerned they’ve mostly just added whole new levels of grind to HoT but haven’t focused on the content enough. This event, with all it’s sloppy implementation, just makes me more worried.

Posted by: Hodori.1068

Hodori.1068

It would have been nice to participate in the event, but couldn’t due to real life issues… this kind of event reminds me how GW2 did things for season 1… you were either there to experience it and reap some decent rewards, or you missed out on everything. Plus the event only lasted the weekend… definitely a step back ArenaNet. Please don’t do this to HoT…

Posted by: Calixtus.8617

Calixtus.8617

What I did like

1. the different mechanics at each event – although of course once you had done one zone it was rinse and repeat. Perhaps 6 different mechanics?
2. the short 30 minute duration with 30 min break and then hour break after 3rd zone. Thought this was really good
I did not like.
3. The blooms I thought were a good reward and set about right level. Although to get the higher rewards or if you wanted more than 1 would have taken a lot of farming. But personally I like this as I hate games that give you something for showing up. You should always have to work for your rewards not get them given on a plate.

I did not like.

1. The tag and run attitude of a lot of people to get to 20 stacks. but to be fair to them the events set up encouraged this behaviour. I struggled to hit 15 stacks in the 30 minutes and tagged and run a couple of times to get that level. Is there a way to reward the event if you stay to the end or perhaps tag one of the last modrem invaders?
2. No Exp for kills – just seems wrong to run around for 30 mins and get no exp for killing things
3. No loot drops – of course champion drops means the zerg start farming champs and ignore events.
4. constant WP hopping to get to events.
5. Short time frame in which to farm for Blooms – doesn’t seem to fit in with overall story only hitting these specific 3 areas and for a few days.

Overall I though it was an okay event and would like to see something similar ran.

Posted by: beowulff.1589

beowulff.1589

To recast my earlier post in “constructive criticism” format:

To recap: The problem for us was that as a group with all new characters (one of us an actual new player), we had just reached level 20 and unlocked all waypoints in Kessex Hills the day before, just so we could take part in the event. However, the only invasion that happened during our online window was in Brisban Wildlands. That was a bigger disappointment to us than the unattainable rewards.

So my suggestion is: if you’re going to aim an event at new players, with a target level of 18 (or whatever the target level is), please make sure that the event is fully accessible for players who have only just reached that level, and the expected map access that comes with that level – even on release day.

In this case, for the Mordrem invasion event, the invasion could have easily been made to be running in all 3 maps at the same time, and you could participate in any of the maps, depending on what race you started with. With the mega-server system, there shouldn’t be an issue with more people choosing one map over the others.

Other options could be considered too. For example, the Priory researchers could have offered portals to the map with the active invasion. Of course, new players would still not have access to all waypoints in those maps. However, if enough of the events are within running distance of each other, that shouldn’t be too big of a problem, and you could unlock some on the go.

Also, as I’m sure other people have asked before: please don’t have an 1 1/2 hour downtime between events. That ate up most of our play time window that night…

Hope that was helpful.

Posted by: Maggie.3082

Maggie.3082

I see a couple of valid questions:

• Will blooms be useful in the future?
  • Will the items currently on offer be returning?

I will ask about those tomorrow — it’s the weekend here in Bellevue — and will answer as soon as I know more. I’m sorry that I cannot give that information today, but I truly do not know the answers to those two questions.

Do we have an answer to this yet?

Posted by: Azurem.9468

Azurem.9468

I got a mail containing the 55 blooms that I did not receive on the first day (two maps: 10+20 daily, + 5+20 daily, then I gave up playing for no reward).

My question is: Will we also be sent the vine-covered crates that we were supposed to get alongside the 20 blooms for the first daily completion of each map? They’re not as important as the blooms but they would be nice to have. It seems weird that you only gave out one part of the missing rewards.

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

I got a mail containing the 55 blooms that I did not receive on the first day (two maps: 10+20 daily, + 5+20 daily, then I gave up playing for no reward).

My question is: Will we also be sent the vine-covered crates that we were supposed to get alongside the 20 blooms for the first daily completion of each map? They’re not as important as the blooms but they would be nice to have. It seems weird that you only gave out one part of the missing rewards.

Good point. I hadn’t thought of that. That would be nice, but I’m grateful to have received the blooms.

Posted by: LadySilverHand.6841

LadySilverHand.6841

….If you earned blooms during that period but did not receive them or received fewer than the intended amount, they will be sent to you via in-game mail. NPCs will remain in place — particularly in the Priory.

I am curious if those affected by this (like myself) need to submit a ticket for it, or to simply wait?

Valid question, thanks for asking: I’ve seen the spreadsheets for distributions passing by in an e-mail. At this time I would say that you do not need to submit a ticket to receive rewards that you earned but did not receive during the period when the bug was active. Participation and missing rewards were recorded in game data, and distributions will be made based on that data.

Thank you, Gaile! <3

<3 Thank you for the fun, Anet~

Posted by: Belorn.2659

Belorn.2659

In order to be constructive I will list the issues I had with the event and what previous event succeeded where this one failed.

1. Comparing this event with the toxic event in Kessex Hills, gaining rewards after 30 minutes delays the feeling between accomplishment and reward and makes the experience feeling hallow and unrewarding. The toxic event also made you feel like you were progressing with each finished event while this one only increased the reward per 5 completed events, which also contributing to a unnecessary negative feeling at the end when you end with 4,9,14, and 19 wins.
  2. Comparing this event with the save the citizen during the LA invasion, the map in LA worked together to achieve the best rewards. Commanders showed new player how cooperative the community was and many guilds capitalized on this to welcome new players. In contrast, this event had even commanders do “tag and run” tactic, and map chat was full of negative and hostile comments.
  3. The immersion of the event was lacking heavily. The map had no new art work and no context to put the invasion. As a player I felt a complete lack of passion from the developers in making this event and it felt hastily put together. In contrast, my interest was drawn in during the toxic event thanks to the cool tower and how the new map felt.
  4. The initial bug had a major impact on presentation. Like with food, the most healthy or great tasting food would be rejected if it was a gray slimy goo. An event that never started would have been better than one which felt like a waste of time.
  5. The rewards was presented in a way that told the player to grind or to not bother at all. A better way would be to give a one-time reward to unlock a single skin after a specific challenge, and on top of that allow grinders to get more if they want to put in the work. Multi-layered reward system can do a lot to hide grind and the reward for finishing a achievement category is a excellent system to do that.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

This incident (and the length of this post) makes me think there should be some kind of survey available during and after events so Anet can gauge how it’s going/gone. The feedback provided here is useful but it’s not going to be humanly possible for the poor forum/dev team to process it all in any timely manner. If there was some kind of rating system people could click in-game quickly it might help Anet tune events as they go along, or at least gather some metrics after the fact.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

So veterans that were not after the skins or tonics were after something else. The only other thing thats remotely worthwile is the Memories of Scarlet box. So logically a large number of players were doing exactly what I was doing, going for the nice items inside those boxes. But over the entire course of the event I saw exactly one player link an enameled dye in map chat. I’m pretty confident that the RNG drop rate on the good stuff sucks.

People will happily grind away for a reward that they want if the expectation is certainty – even if the gameplay is every man for himself. Now you have a lot of anger and a lot of complaints – its not coming from the people grinding certainty, and its not coming from the few that got enameled dyes or dreamthistle skins or ley line skins. Its coming from the rest of us that got screwed by the RNG and wasted their time doing an event that they would otherwise have not done if the drop rates on those boxes were known in advance.

That result is exactly what a veteran of the game should have expected. The game has been like this for a very long time. What made you think this would be any different? Just because it is a 4 day event? Complaints about the carapace chest should still be relatively fresh in people’s memories. How about the mini from the ToT bag? Exotic aquabreather from Wintersday? GW2 has provided many opportunities for veterans to learn this particular lesson.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

First I’ll say I did the event through its entirety in order to obtain the toxic skins, and my character was exhausted after. (pic related)

Going by most of the complaints in map chat through out the event, most players had a problem with (as many have already mentioned in this thread)

1.Lack of reward from events, aside from the stacks we received.

- We don’t need champ boxes, but it would be nice if all the mobs had a higher chance to drop equips, then people could actually put their Magic Find to use.

2. Event was too short for the number of blooms rewarded per round.

- Many players, including me, spent our weekend nights in map chat while participating in the invasion talking about how we wanted to go to sleep, but we needed to get these blooms…and we weren’t joking. Reminded me of late night grinding in dark age of camelot, it was kind of nostalgic, but painful.

3. Rewarding based on how many events one completed caused a lot of issues, which had been mentioned plenty of times in this thread.

- Results may be better if instead of giving stacks, at the end of the event a small chest spawns at the location of the event, and remains there until another event begins in that location.

This will discourage people from event tagging, they wouldn’t want to lose their chest, and slowly reward people as they play through the event, so they wont be screwed by a disconnect.

Bonus: After an event is completed, it would be nice if “reward” mobs were spawned, monsters that have an even higher chance of dropping rare equipment, as well as mats.

Uhh, that’s all.

Attachments:

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Moodung.5736

Moodung.5736

Are there any vendors left for Mordrem Blooms? I got up this morning and the event is apparently over and the vendors are gone. Hopefully there is a vendor around Lions Arch after the event like they have done previously.

If you double click the blooms they say there is a vendor in the Priory.

Thank you! I didn’t even think of that xD

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Shadow Dragon Bob.7160

Shadow Dragon Bob.7160

Just got the 25 blooms I was missing. After RNG failing a scarlet’s memory box, I bought a case of sand and was happy with my one bandit key and one geode that can contribute to me completing the Amberite weapons collection. I know it’s difficult to tell tone due to being online… but I was genuinely happier with a case of sand as apposed to the ‘cool/cheap’ event reward prize. I know others said it, but RNG rewards do not ever feel as rewarding as people would like.

Please, for future events, don’t abandon them immediately when the community says something is wrong. It doesn’t feel like we’re being listened to when instead of improvements, we basically hear about a cancellation. I get that devs were busy or were off for their weekends… but wouldn’t a few hours of overtime/fixing actually gotten more than enough positive press to counter this now 17 pages of negativity? ‘We won’t change this but we’ll listen for next time,’ feels akin to when your parents used to tell you that ‘maybe you can have that new toy.’

Maybe was always no. I lost hope and spent my blooms because I’ve waited long enough to hear if there were going to be fixes or future related events. Hundreds of up votes on reddit and 17 pages of comments should have warranted a staff meeting with a united solution to start fresh this week, start with positive announcements about lessons learned and give some concrete details on how things can change in the future.

I know we’re collectively beating a dead horse, but today you missed an opportunity to just bury the horse. Don’t keep wasting time and praying that negative press will go away. If there’s one thing and only one thing you take from this, please let it be that. I want you guys to succeed and it sucks for all of us when that doesn’t happen.

Posted by: Asyntyche.4827

Asyntyche.4827

I received the Mordrem Blooms that I earned while the event was bugged, so thanks to the devs for that.

No vine covered chest though…

Now just waiting to decide what to spend the blooms on. Still a long way off being able to craft the Spinal Blades backpack.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Just a piece of feedback on the reward structure.

As others have said, but it bears repeating, the rate at which you could earn Blooms was terrible especially considering it was a four day event and the high-end rewards were 450 blooms (and 10 gold). I gave up on Saturday when I realised that I’d have to spend the entire weekend farming events and spend a small fortune waypointing about the maps in order to get what is basically a 10g bill for a potion. At the end of an entire weekend of playing I’d be down somewhere between 15-20g and would have nothing more to show for it than a infinite potion that gives you floating horns (which would probably just join the selfless potion in one of my alt’s bags). That’s just not worth my time.

Think of all the other ways you can play the game, sPvP, WvW, dungeons/fractals, boss trains, other open world PvE: the rewards for participating in this event should be as rewarding as playing those other ways. Instead it was a massive gold sink.

Lets look at the reward vendor a Masterwork Essence of Luck (50 luck) for 2s 48c and 10 Mordrem Bloom. That’s all the blooms you’d get from a decent half hour event and 2s 48c on top of the waypoint costs for the event for 50 luck. How could anyone think that was an actual reward worth offering? If you spent that half an hour running around a field killing mobs and then salvaged just the blues you got (selling the greens) you’d get so much more than 50 luck and also have some crafting materials that could be sold. You’d also get XP and money from greens and greys. Also it’s strange to offer Magic Find as a reward in an event where Magic Find has no use at all. Some of the other rewards are better at least but are overpriced in both Blooms and Gold.

So as I said before the mobs in the events should drop loot, for a while at least: I have no problems with some farming protection where only the first few waves of mobs in these kind of events would drop loot (if it takes on average 6 waves to complete an event then the first 8 waves should drop normal loot, 9+ should have a reduced chance of dropping loot, trailing off to a 0% chance of any mob dropping loot about wave 16 or so). These events should spawn more elites and fewer champions when they scale up but champions should still spawn occasionally. The contents of champion bags have been nerfed significantly so they are far less of an issue now, IMO.

When the event is over the spawner should drop a chest that contains a champion bag (for the spawner) and some Mordrem Blooms that you have to loot to pick up (perhaps only for silver and gold participants but I’m not sure there).

All this would encourage people to stay and finish the events rather than just tag and go in order to reach 20 stacks. The possibility of getting mob loot would also encourage AFKers to actually play, at the moment they can do nothing and get the same reward as someone playing, now someone playing will get better rewards.

Finally, now the individual events reward players for participating in them but the end of the invasion meta-event should reward people based on how well the map did. That will encourage people to work together and spread out to complete as many events as possible. This reward should probably only be offered to people who actually participated in a decent number of the events for that map.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Just a piece of feedback on the reward structure.

As others have said, but it bears repeating, the rate at which you could earn Blooms was terrible especially considering it was a four day event and the high-end rewards were 450 blooms (and 10 gold). I gave up on Saturday when I realised that I’d have to spend the entire weekend farming events and spend a small fortune waypointing about the maps in order to get what is basically a 10g bill for a potion. At the end of an entire weekend of playing I’d be down somewhere between 15-20g and would have nothing more to show for it than a infinite potion that gives you floating horns (which would probably just join the selfless potion in one of my alt’s bags). That’s just not worth my time.

It would have been the perfect time to activate the reduced waypoint fee guild upgrade. I’ve always wondered anyone would bother with that thing.

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

There are a few things that made this event not a good event.

Mobs drop no loot. I repeat NO LOOT. Best events you had in the past all had mobs and champs that actually dropped stuff when you killed them. You couldn’t even get a stack from killing mobs while using stacking sigils during this event.

All rewards were already in game before so whats the point for those that had most if not all of the rewards already. Nothing new was added as a reward as far as I could see and didn’t really want anything in the reward list..

With no loot from mobs there is no incentive to sit at one point. Most ran around and tagged as many events as they could.

Targeting the vines needed a fix. I use tab to pick my targets usually yet it skipped over the vines a zillion times. Some vines were on rocks or something and to even be able to hit it I had to run up to it or face getting obstructed or LoS.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Cross linking my final analysis in case they stop reading threads that fell off the first couple of pages.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mordrem-Invasion-Feedback-merged/page/11#post5491970

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Jonny Hood.1786

Jonny Hood.1786

But how about this question: Will Mordrem Blooms be used in the future, or should we use them all before the vendors disappear?

As explained here — https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mordrem-Invasion-Update-11-September-12-30-PM/5487900 -- I do not know the answer to that yet, but have asked.

Any Updates ?
Will the Blooms come back into the game or can we spend it?
And I miss Vine-Covered Crate from the first Day too

SRY for my poor English ;)

(edited by Jonny Hood.1786)

Posted by: Eidolonemesis.5640

Eidolonemesis.5640

In my honest opinion, other aspects of the game should be improved first before rolling out major events like this one that failed.

(edited by Eidolonemesis.5640)

Posted by: Jonny Hood.1786

Jonny Hood.1786

There are so much placeholder in HoT they can easily bring the Blooms back without major changes or xtra Events, or as Exotic Drops in SW

SRY for my poor English ;)

(edited by Jonny Hood.1786)

Posted by: Biber.6743

Biber.6743

Please tell us if the Blooms need to be spent now or can be saved up for the future to collect more…

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

Please tell us if the Blooms need to be spent now or can be saved up for the future to collect more…

This

atm there is nothing i want with my number of blooms but its also a waste of bank space

ty for hopefully sharing yours plan on this topic with us, anet.

(edited by Zaron.1987)

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

A small criticism I just remembered. I thought the number of boon stacks was hard to read. I could probably have set my UI to be larger, but I don’t prefer it that way and I don’t want to have to change settings to play one specific part of the game. Mainly it was the color – white on light blue. Not that I want to see this particular mechanic reappear, but if it does in someway, please give the number more contrast so I can make it out at a glance.

Zaron.1987

my bank slot is still waiting for answer

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

Since the blooms are put into our inventory as physical items and not made an entry in the wallet, I assume they are a one-time currency for this event only. If the blooms are a regular HoT currency, they’d get a wallet entry for sure. I destroyed my blooms, and with them the reminiscence of the event, I hope.

Zaron.1987

Since the blooms are put into our inventory as physical items and not made an entry in the wallet, I assume they are a one-time currency for this event only. If the blooms are a regular HoT currency, they’d get a wallet entry for sure. I destroyed my blooms, and with them the reminiscence of the event, I hope.

Sorry but this answer helps nobody!
cause óther currencies also were added after long time at the wallet and gaile also said she will ask the devs if the blooms will come back or not

So we waiting for her answer and not from another player that only can speculate on this topic

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I played maybe three maps then went back to silverwastes and fractals.
Now, compare this to the scarlet invasion where I hit them really hard not to mention the marionette meta event.
Why? Because this event did nothing to tie into the greater story of the mordrem. It was literally fire and forget. Nothing about the event made it memorable.

Why were the mordrem attacking these maps? What was there in it for Mordremoth? Mordremoth is a forest Dragon so why is he attacking In the open plains where his forces are at a disadvantage? Dry top and silverwastes make sense since they lead into the jungle and are vital entry points. But Diessa plateau? Kessex peaks? Why mountainous regions?

Posted by: slashlizard.1369

slashlizard.1369

Any news on whether we can obtain any more blooms?

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Here’s a suggestion: design events that at least match the rewards we’d get if we spent the same amount of time farming the Silver Wastes. I’m sure it is still possible to give everyone who participated some form of reward for doing so beyond the paltry blooms we earned.

ANY type of reward really, I would be happy with XP (and maybe drops) if low-level players had as much a shot as 80s. I was leveling my necro and taking a weekend off from doing that, with no xp or other incentive, was just not in the cards. I did 3 invasions Thursday and 1 on Friday but after that just skipped it.

Basically, give us a reason to skip our normal stuff to do other things. It is the same reason why I skip the BWE: I know I will not get to keep any mats from doing my normal stuff so do not see much of an incentive to do play HOT until it is live.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

But how about this question: Will Mordrem Blooms be used in the future, or should we use them all before the vendors disappear?

I sincerely hope they will not return! We were told the vendors would only be up a limited time so I spent all of mine rather than having them take up storage space (really? not something for your wallet?). Not my first choice of stuff, but AFAIK we had to spend them or lose them.

Posted by: Ryld Baenre.7609

Ryld Baenre.7609

As explained here — https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mordrem-Invasion-Update-11-September-12-30-PM/5487900 -- I do not know the answer to that yet, but have asked.

Any Updates ?
Will the Blooms come back into the game or can we spend it?
And I miss Vine-Covered Crate from the first Day too

I’m waiting on vine covered crates too but I don’t know if it’s goign to happen. Should have been simple if they were able to award correct amount of blooms.

Zaron.1987

Gaile you already asked the devs or is the answer just out of the table as often?

Zaron.1987

Last push

Gaile pls next time if there is no chance that we get an answer pls pls dont wake the hope in us that you really ask the devs