Mounts [merged]

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

vote for merge

I’m not asking for mounts.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Folks don’t seem to have read the original post. It seems that people are using the word “mount” to mean very different things.

• A ‘toy’ that changes the movement speed of the owner. In GW2, kites fit this.
  • A ‘toy’ that changes the animation of movement, e.g. the sonic tunneler.
  • A tool that increases speed a lot and that also looks like a traditional mount, such as horses, eagles, etc. GW2 doesn’t have any of those; other games do.

I don’t have an opinion about the other two types, because those are like tonics: they are silly and don’t really affect gameplay much. I’m against the third type because GW2 NPCs don’t use mounts like that and the current movement speed seems plenty fast to me (and I main a mesmer).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Its simple, they don’t want it. So they don’t want you to have it.

Dear runeblade.7514, please read before you reply. Thanks

I read it, and I’ve read it again because of this reply.

It doesn’t seem like anything was edited in.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I won’t be happy until my asura can ride in the backpack of a norn or charr and zap people.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Kasemdria.7138

Kasemdria.7138

I’m trying to think of creatures in Guild Wars 2 that could even be used as mounts…. I can only think of golems and dolyaks… To which I can’t imagine they speed up travel. I also can’t imagine what a charr’s warband would say if said charr rocked up on a mount. Wait, I can.
“Oh is da widdle kitty hurting in da paws? Does da widdle kitty need a sicky break? GET OFF THAT RIDICULOUS DOLYAK AND GET IN LINE!”
I think norn would get the same treatment.

In all seriousness though…there are plenty of other games offering an assortment of mounts – most of them not suitable for being mounts, but they are still there. It’s refreshing having a game that doesn’t have them (except as the odd toy).

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Geneaux.9547

Geneaux.9547

Oh for Pete’s sake, I don’t know why this is difficult to grasp:

“Mounts” in this game, in their current state, amount to(pun unintended) no more than cosmetics and toys. They offer no benefit to any user but “street” cred. Mount-advocates don’t want toys, they want ‘mounts’ that look, play, and at the minimum, play the part.

“Man this jungle in the expansion better look so good it gives me flashbacks to Nam.”
Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Knights of Ares [ARES]

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

Dont really care about mounts, but i wouldnt mind having them. I find the wp system boring. Sure its convenient but id like to travel around maps quickly without having to teleport.

Anyways as far as this thread is concerned, you can classify those other items as mounts but only in the extent that Anet could easily make something you can ride on. Mounts that people want are still different than those toys. However, this doesn’t mean that your argument for mounts is that bad since the executioner’s axe toy is basically a mount for classes like mesmer that don’t have access to a speed skill. The toy lets them travel faster on a relatively short cooldown.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: CptTrips.6512

CptTrips.6512

vote for merge

yet your post is about mounts …. like the others spawning weekly ….

And we have a mounts thread

so I still vote for merge

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: compers.9065

compers.9065

we don’t need another wow clone. If I want mount, there are tones of games with mount. no need the mounts, not now not ever!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I really think the word mount should be added to the swear filter in the forums so it gets turned into the word kitten :p

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

A veiled but blatantly overt post on wanting mounts.

Reporting this thread to be merged with the main mount thread.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Having constantly using speed boosts to travel on foot – especially in places where there are no WPs or often contested like WvW or Orr – just annoys me. Instead having a mount with a 100% speed boost would be very comfortable. I don’t get why people always bring up the ‘we have waypoints’-argument. Final Fantasy XIV, too, has a lot of waypoints and there are still mounts and all are using them without complaining about it.

The only fear that hardcore GW-defenders have is they fear a ‘normalization’ or convergency to other MMOs. What the kitten? Is Skyrim or Zelda bad be cause you can use mounts? It’s just normal, it’s like using a sword.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Regh.8649

Regh.8649

While I don’t care if there are mounts or not, I think the most fitting for a Charr would be a Giant Devourer or some sort of machine (small tank/motorcycle/quad) or a mix of both… a Mechanical Devourer

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

vote for merge

Well, I vote against it.

Everyone knows that if you just merge everything, valid points like this get lost.

Which is, presumably, why you want it merged…

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

We have two mounts and the reception has been positive, so I’d love to see more!

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

vote for merge

It does not matter what you ask for. The argument and discussion you bring has been beaten to death over and over. As a matter of fact the horse has reincarnated in a different galaxy and returned to earth multiple times.

Merge thread or /close delete please.

ps. if you want to weigh in, post in the now front page merged thread that already is 770+ posts long. O wait, no one will notice or give a cra*** if you don’t make a new topic. I wonder why…

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: CptTrips.6512

CptTrips.6512

vote for merge

Well, I vote against it.

Everyone knows that if you just merge everything, valid points like this get lost.

Which is, presumably, why you want it merged…

There are no valid points in this thread which aren`t covered in the existing thread about 100 times.

(edited by CptTrips.6512)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Smartcat.2130

Smartcat.2130

I’m trying to think of creatures in Guild Wars 2 that could even be used as mounts…. I can only think of golems and dolyaks… To which I can’t imagine they speed up travel. I also can’t imagine what a charr’s warband would say if said charr rocked up on a mount. Wait, I can.
“Oh is da widdle kitty hurting in da paws? Does da widdle kitty need a sicky break? GET OFF THAT RIDICULOUS DOLYAK AND GET IN LINE!”
I think norn would get the same treatment.

My fav post ^^

define normal…

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ganix.8297

ganix.8297

I would like to see mounts in gw2.
Who is against mounts can always choose to not to use them.
I cant understand people complaining about this post.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

“If you are against gear progression, you can always stay in your old, outdated set”.
No, thank you, it doesn’t work that way.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Lol to the naysayers: they would all use it if there were mounts.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

I’m actually confused as to why Mounts haven’t been implemented yet.

We’ll implemented proper anyway we have the Flying,Carpet, Drill, and Magic Broom all of which are Cash Shop items and they’d make a killing if they added a Cash Shop Horse for instance in the same guise as the others. Mounts are mainly a cosmetic choice for instance WoW has hundreds of Mounts but the speed is still the same speed regardless. They can even make them unusable in towns for all I care.

Basic point they already have mini mounts in the cash shop and if they implement real mounts they’d just be primarily cash shop items. So that’s a guaranteed revenue stream even more so from loot crazed collectors.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

We have two mounts and the reception has been positive, so I’d love to see more!

Those don’t go faster than a regular player, if the mounts you want were cosmetic only and didn’t boost movement speed then maybe I’d be open to the idea. Mounts don’t fit with these small maps and the current player speed, plus we’d have a load screen after a min or two of crossing each map by mount.

WPs also serve as a gold sink, so maybe the mounts should have a cost per use similar to a salvage-o-matic. (If they were faster than players)

(edited by hazenvirus.8154)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

We’ll implemented proper anyway we have the Flying,Carpet, Drill, and Magic Broom all of which are Cash Shop items and they’d make a killing if they added a Cash Shop Horse for instance in the same guise as the others. Mounts are mainly a cosmetic choice for instance WoW has hundreds of Mounts but the speed is still the same speed regardless. They can even make them unusable in towns for all I care.

Basic point they already have mini mounts in the cash shop and if they implement real mounts they’d just be primarily cash shop items. So that’s a guaranteed revenue stream even more so from loot crazed collectors.

If the size of the mounts never got bigger than what we have in the gem store and didn’t have a speed buff then I don’t care. Give me the option so I don’t have to see them as well. The problem is that a lot of the pro-mount people want huge screen cluttering 100% speed boost mounts and will scream their heads off if they don’t get them.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

If they would be faster then players it would be pay 2 win.
Even if you’d pay cash to use them.

It would be simpole if they mount would go 34% speed ppl will kill the idea and you’ll get a mount wich will be stripped of the speedbonus, either being set to 25% or less (read 0%, oh: probably less as as some professions DO NOT have a 25% speedbuff.)

this thing also means: NO COMBAT, NO MOVEMENT BONUS, NO NOTHING! unless it’s easily aquired. so everybody should get one. also removing the “special feel”

Making MOUNTS in GW2: USELESS!

Still no Think I’m in this thread 50 times now,…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Waypoints should be in the major population centers and nowhere else. Waypoints have made the game world feel small. Waypoints have made exploration an exercise in moot-ality (take that, English language!), even in the unreleased new zones, because wherever we go, the waypoint installers have already been there. And on top of that, the waypoint installers are a bunch of jerks, because they they’re all like, hey, there’s this waypoint over there where you want to go that’s been part of our network of waypoints for like forever, but you can’t use it until you ‘discover’ it, bwahaha.

Who installs these things, anyway? It’s a sure bet they’re the ones keeping us from having proper mounts!

Wait…. waypoints make the world feel small….

Yet, people want mounts with speed boosts because otherwise its too tedious to get around?

Think that one through for a bit….

I have thought it through. Now you try it!

Waypoint = instantly there! Well, depending on your PC, you may be looking at a loading screen for several seconds… but that’s beside the point. Ahem.

Mount, even speed-boosted = travel the countryside! See the scenery! Enjoy the fresh air and monsters!

Mounts make the world seem small too, regardless of having the ability to “see” the countryside and monsters because people don’t pay any attention to them. They just run right one through. Go take a gander at WoW and tell me people pay freaking attention. They don’t.

The only difference is how much time is wasted getting from point A to point B.

People run right on through even without mounts. I know I do! I’m like, go away, stupid monster, I’m in too much of a hurry to mess around with you! If I had a mount I’d be all like, go away, stupid monster, I’m in too much of a hurry and I look too darn cool on this way cool mount to mess around with you! Especially if it was a skale. I hate those things. So annoying.

Of course, the smarter monsters would have hard to see wires and stuff strung up at a rider’s neck height to catch unwary riders and make them fall down and go boom. They might even have mounts, too. Imagine a centaur riding in a chariot drawn by speed-boosted skale. /e shudder.

Plus anet could have people optionally working on getting ascended wisps, picks, currycombs for their mounts, as well as saddles, stirrups, bridles, halters, reins, bits, harnesses, martingales, and breastplates, among other things.

Still saying neigh to mounts?

Yes I say NO!

Still no Think I’m in this thread 50 times now,… well make that 51 ….

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

The world is small enough as is with enough potential for players to use swiftness. Mounts won’t do anything productive since how many times does the average player stop to enjoy the scenery when going from say Lion’s Arch to Citadel of Flame? Wait for it….Waypoints!

Attachments:

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

I don’t think we need mounts.
the screens is often cluttered enough with all the minis and wings.
it’s not like the orld is so big that you can’ even travel by food in a decent amount of time.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Zakuti.4672

Zakuti.4672

Let me try to express myself as politically correct as I can: mounts suck and there is no place for them in GW2.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Shomaruki.7395

Shomaruki.7395

Asuras (us!) Would be the only one with actual cars and jets. Screw that give me a another Mr. Sparkles and I’ll be happy

I’m the [Captain] of the T.Coast

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: AliceKaye.1903

AliceKaye.1903

Throwing my hat into the ring. I’m not a huge fan of waypoints (in any game) and I really only use them if I desperately have to. Instead, I spend my time running around as much as possible from one place to another.

Personally, I absolutely love mounts. It’s something I enjoyed collecting in games like Lord of the Rings Online and World of Warcraft. I’m a role-player and I had entire backstories for my trusted companies (and do for my mini’s in GW2 currently, that I use).

Mounts, for me, are much more than just a faster form of transport, even if they only slightly increased speed, I’d be happy with having them for the thrill of it, and quite frankly, lets face it ArenaNet would make bank off of mounts in the BLTC. It would be foolish not to at least explore the option.

Arcanist Norri | Ceirynn | Darbii | Emlyn | Nyssi | Teltiu
Alice Kaye’s Twitter

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

STILL do not want

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ludovicus.7980

Ludovicus.7980

I think cultural mounts would be cool. Nothing special on movement speed, but if they HAVE to put something, make it akin to the speed booster in the cash shop. Would be the equivalent of buying a perma-speed booster for whatever amount of gems. Charr steam cycle or a Sylvari riding on a mini treant of some kind. Asura have golems and humans can have horse! /gasp

Norns…can’t have mounts. Drinking and driving is bad, mmmkay?

Dolyaks are beasts smart enough to carry a drunken Norn to his/her destination. I’m sure Norn can ride Dolyaks.

The glory of my ancestors shall be restored.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

In all seriousness though…there are plenty of other games offering an assortment of mounts.

But we’re not playing those other games, we’re playing GW2 and some of us would like to see something along the lines of mounts in GW2. I can only speak for myself but I think most of us would be happy with just cosmetic mounts because it looks cool and could add to the immersion of the game if they don’t look ridiculous (like the “mounts” we have now, they suck in my opinion).

Mounts [merged]

Astralporing.1957

I can only speak for myself but I think most of us would be happy with just cosmetic mounts because it looks cool and could add to the immersion of the game if they don’t look ridiculous (like the “mounts” we have now, they suck in my opinion).

Looking back at the other threads, i am afraid you are wrong, and most people that want mounts do want them also to confer some advantage (starting at the speed buff, and going up from there). And many that claimed first they were interested only in cosmetic aspect, when pressed admit that they consider speed buffs part of that basic “purely cosmetic” package.

Actions, not words.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Derez.6510

Derez.6510

I vote against it.

It would just clutter maps and get in the way.
At FireEle-MarkII-MegaD and others would be a jumbled up mess.

I can run fast enough and move around maps from one side to the other at a good pace.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I think they’d be great but keep it to pve. Maybe have a mount skill so it uses a skill slot. The actual mount that appears would be picked from your hero menu like finishers. Most classes already have a slot they can use for a speed buff. Keep it at just 10% run speed buff. That’s less than actual skills.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

Mounts?
NO MOUNTS! Stop digging up mount threads!

Attachments:

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Mounts?
NO MOUNTS! Stop digging up mount threads!

Anyone find the “stop bumping mount threads” statement a bit at odds with actually, I dunno, bumping a mount thread? XD

I still wouldn’t mind seeing an Elite signet skill that just gives a small passive boost while not in combat. 5-10% maybe? With a short cooldown active that mimics the sun crystal effect from the Zephyrites. It would actually be in theme and could be a useful general skill.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: SpyderBite.6274

SpyderBite.6274

Faster Travel: Is running between way points really that painful? Its not like you have to run across an entire zone.

Aesthetics: Longer load times for people on slower computers/Internet connections. I already feel sorry for people who have to wait 10 minutes when they arrive at the Ministers way point.

There’s no point to continue beating this dead mount. Of course, that won’t stop anybody who wants to play WoW in Tyria from posting again tomorrow in a new thread. :P

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Of course, that won’t stop anybody who wants to play WoW in Tyria from posting again tomorrow in a new thread. :P

Because WoW invented mounts, amirite?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Tomerant.2701

Tomerant.2701

What’s the lore behind having no mounts?

Greenpeace? Animal rights?
Seems to me races of Tyria are plain stupid. They are able to develop flying ships, tanks, turrets and still walk on foot. I wonder how the hell walking on foot contributed to all those achievements they made?? They gotta ride something… something gotta help them out to get stuff to certain places, or they just drag it tied with ropes all across the land… yea… that’s probably it.
Seriously, what’s the lore behind having no mounts :P ? It’s stupid.

I wish they could just delete every kitten waypoint and that “blurry portals” between zones and just give us random stuff to ride.

I wanna go here? LOADING
Ohh champ spawned there? LOADING
Look! Another champ and blue tag!! LOADING
Ok, time to salvage and sort stuff in bank! LOADING

There is too much instances and loading screens. Before I bought the game I heared it’s open world. Well it’s not.
Having mounts doesn’t make the game look like kitten WoW. This is most unique game I’ve ever played. And believe, me there are some seriously bad, kittened up unique stuff here. Already mentioned two of them but since topic about mounts would go into other stuff.

I just think game would be alot better and more immersive if there was MORE traveling and LESS loading.
This is the best looking great game graphic-wise and still it’s so hard to immerse yourself into the world with all those invisible walls and waypoints, loadscreens…

Pentium 200Mhz; 64Mb RAM; HP Nvidia GeForce 64Mb;

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

i frankly don’t understand the ‘less is more’ crowd.

I understand anet trying to sell the game for what it doesn’t offer. It IS their job to sell the game, so they try to convert the game’s weaknesses into strengths.

So, we don’t have to skip boring quest logs (they actually didn’t even try to write quests worth reading )

And we don’t have mounts that, uh (cannot think of anything negative if done right)… ah! we don’t have mounts like WoW does (i never had a problem with mounts in wow, btw).

See what they do? That’s clever, that’s why anet’s paying these people.

Only… it’s really not that clever, they just make a poor excuse because they don’t have anything else to say. Which leaves me scratching my head in awe, seeing how people willingly eat the bs companies throw at them.

(and, before i am attacked by this ‘less is more’ gang, i hereby state that i don’t really care we don’t have mounts, as they add nothing to the gameplay (only some ‘coolness’ factor))

(edited by Aenesthesia.1697)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

This thread always makes for a good read.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Scandi.5693

Scandi.5693

Travel is so easy in this game with all the WP’s, I think mounts are unnecessary. But that said, I know alot of people enjoy them and I don’t see how they could break the game, ergo The Asuran Dominion is in favor. I could see having fun riding around upon a golems shoulder like our lovely little Taimi does.

Mistress Savant of the Asuran Dominion.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Its funny how people are against mounts but they don’t complain about the magic carpet.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

Funny, just like I can’t understand people complaining about others want the option not to use Pets on the Ranger. It’d just be an option, you won’t be forced into it.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Inexor.7804

Inexor.7804

Mounts: YES!

• Only in PvE
    PvP/WvW already dont allow the kites, carpet, … no problem here.
  • Permanent +33% speed on mounts
    It’s only a timesaver, since every class can specc for perma-speed. Yes, maybe you have to get ooc to respecc, but again it’s a matter of time and you have the choice to get yourself a mount or take the time to respecc or just run around in slowmotion. No problem here.
  • Toggleable visibility for the immersion whiner
    Aviator Memory Box transformation is only visible for someone himself -> already implemented. No problem here.
  • There are already far more “unnecessary” things in GW2 and no one bats an eye:
    - Minis (even of dead characters – in your face immersion)
    - Outfits
    - Armor/Weapon-Skins
  • Taimi has Scruffy, who is a mount imo.
  • Anet gets another cashcow

Since everything already exists and mounts would basically just be a Skin with a Speedbuff for lazy ppl, there is absoluely no reason to not implement them – except the jealousy of some ppl here.

And now take my kitten money and gief me dat Hoverboard!

Mounts [merged]

Astralporing.1957

Since everything already exists and mounts would basically just be a Skin with a Speedbuff for lazy ppl, there is absoluely no reason to not implement them

umm…

• Permanent +33% speed on mounts

That alone is reason enough to not have them.

Actions, not words.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Gliders people. You’re already getting gliders. Want more options?

Black Lion TP item:
Dragon Wing glider – looks like dragon wings 600 gems
Glyphic Glider – looks like some kind of Asuran contraption 600 gems

You get the picture.

This is how it will be implemented. just wait.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!