Mounts [merged]

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I bet if they did add mounts every anti mount player on these forums would rush out and buy/earn one after their initial cry.

That would be a very unwise move on your part. Your losses…. I shudder to imagine it.

Personally, if I were the gambling type, I’d say that some of the “anti-mount” players would rush out and grab a mount. However it would not be for the reasons you believe. They would not race for mounts because they want them — but rather because they would suddenly feel that they need them. Whether the mounts offered any form of gameplay advantage or not would make no difference in that respect. We see this mentality in so many aspects of the game already. When something exists in game, from cosmetic skins to achievement points, many players feel compelled to work towards attaining all that they can.

As for the rest of the “anti-mount” crowd? Well I imagine some would try their best to continue playing the game without mounts, no matter how damaged their experience may be. The rest…. well the rest may just quit the game.

snip*

Well that all works for me.

I can be put on the list for mounts, but once again when Anet thinks it fits their game and audience. I also don’t hold to the idea of GW2 copying other games mount features, or lack of.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I really don’t have it in me to do yet another rant on why mounts are completely antithetical to the core of this game. They’re pointless, redundant, not feasible for jumping puzzles, possibly a competitive balancing issue, a waste of developer time and resources, etc. Mounts seem enjoyable because they are integrated into MMOs that are designed to require them, and would be intolerably boring/slow without them.

All I’ll say for now is you picked basically the worst time to bring this up again, considering the direction Heart of Thorns is taking. ANet is building their new maps with in-depth exploration in mind — in particular the element of verticality, and even hang-gliding to get to new places. A mount that carries you across broad swaths of flat terrain without incident is going to be more obsolete than ever before.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

My two coppers

I think it would be cool to get mount drops like the magic carpet or broom. These drops could be like mini Teq or shatter. Of course they don’t make you go faster. Maybe make it so you can stay on it while in combat. Some other cool mounts could come with completing new parts of the story.

Of course this won’t happen but it would be cool.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: shadowfanatik.5160

shadowfanatik.5160

no

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Raak Bloodmaw

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Hmm, I tried searching before posting this, but the search function is a bit broken and scatters the text everywhere.

I’m reading a lot of the posts of the naysayers, and really, most of those issues of dev time, stupidity of how they look, and frivolous nature of the mounts could be dealt with.

Yes, there’s better things that can be added, isn’t there always? Mounts are by no means a priority, because they don’t solve a problem, if anything, they create more problems.

If done correctly, mounts have the potential to add depth and further variety to the game, and wouldn’t it be nice if GW2 steered clear of the #%^&ty mounts system that at least a dozen other MMO’s employ?

Seriously, it CAN be done right, they just need to be innovative.

Mounts are, or can be innovative?

Lol…lol….lmao….lmao……please…lol….lol…..stop….lmao…….

But seriously, if your friends don’t want to play this game just because of mounts…..well, then…….they just don’t want to play the game or have even the slightest understanding of this game. Don’t waste your time with it here, or on your friends.

Now, where is my club? I need to beat on that dead beast some, too!!!!

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: phil.1870

phil.1870

As much as I would like a cool mount.. They really don’t have a use in this game other then sitting in L.A. looking cool

Nodferatu….QT

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

…sitting in L.A. looking cool

this is a totally subjective statement. I dont think they look cool, they look dumb.

i vote no.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

i vote yes, not traditional mounts though, could be improved on , innovative ones are the future

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

Mount is way better than opening your map every 10 seconds to see where you are and teleport to another spot.And mounts can open new options for pvp.Like mounted combat,new skills while you are mounted etc.And its better to collect mount than useless companions.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Weylin.6478

Weylin.6478

Mount is way better than opening your map every 10 seconds to see where you are and teleport to another spot.And mounts can open new options for pvp.Like mounted combat,new skills while you are mounted etc.And its better to collect mount than useless companions.

I thought mounted combat could be interesting if it had its own set of skills, like forward facing line-AoE’s and cone attacks. That would make them focused on charging and chasing, but be at a disadvantage in a 1v1 fight in close quarters.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Sparky Sights.9174

Sparky Sights.9174

Weylin it seems to be you wanting the mounts instead of your friends, so I’m just going to flat out say what I suspect a good portion of posters could well be thinking.

Uninstall the game, install WoW, have fun with their mount system.

Its a win win, we don’t get mounts, and you can play with these invisible friends of yours! Yaaaaaaaaay

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Weylin.6478

Weylin.6478

Weylin it seems to be you wanting the mounts instead of your friends, so I’m just going to flat out say what I suspect a good portion of posters could well be thinking.

Its a win win, we don’t get mounts, and you can play with these invisible friends of yours! Yaaaaaaaaay

Well, WoW is still subscription based or I might try it out again.
There’s also RIFT, which had its highlights, but it got boring fast.
A few of them was mentioning Archage but I’ve never looked into it, and they said that the cash shop is a bit overbearing, but 2 player mounts? sounds awesome.

I’ll just keep playing GW2 here and there, I’m ok without there being mounts, I’m fairly neutral on the subject myself.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: HelloKittyZOMG.1875

HelloKittyZOMG.1875

I don’t see what all the hub bub is about, if the person wants mounts that’s their right. I wouldn’t mind seeing mounts either.
Don’t let it get you down, nor let what others say deter you or sway you on the matter.

As for someone suggesting you to uninstall a game over all this, my opinion is keep the game, it’s a fun game and it’s worth playing.
I must say WoW is also a fun game, BUT that being said in my opinion GW2 is better.
I do think they should go with mounts for many reason, not just for looks, but mounts are a lot quicker then having to walk everywhere.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Lukhas.1962

Lukhas.1962

i don’t want to live in this planet anymore

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Should give these people a cow to ride that moves slower than a dolyak.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The OP asks for serious discussion. OK. There are two main issues with mounts:

1. Despite many poster requests, ANet has yet to optimize GW2. The game puts more of a burden on the CPU than many other games. Some players’ systems have difficulty rendering the many characters, NPC’s, mobs, etc .currently in the game. In large blobs, there are a lot of models to render. If all of them are mounted, what will that do to performance? If I were in charge of Anet, I would not even consider potentially doubling the number of models controlled by players until I was certain it would not cause (more) problems for those who bought the game based on the minimum specs I had published.
  2. Mobility skills (up to swiftness, which provides 33%) are a part of the opportunity cost when building a character. If you want to have faster movement, you have to give up the opportunity to slot something different, whether that’s a different weapon, utility skill or trait. If ANet were to provide mounts with a speed boost, those opportunity costs would shift. Those who think a movement boost is essential are giving something else up now. With a speed boost from mounts, they might no longer have to make that choice. If ANet provided mounts which gave no speed boost, I’m betting that a lot fewer people would use them. The existing cosmetic mounts have no speed boosts, and I can count the times I’ve seen one on one hand. In WoW/Rift, everyone is mounted. This also needs to be considered, and might in fact be a deal-breaker.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Bolzard.4365

Bolzard.4365

I m pretty sure a lot of people are expecting mounts and flying mounts as the world of tyria is very beautiful and some would want to have mounts for a more immersive world just like other mmorpg , using mounts to travel across areas without fighting aggro mobs , and with flying mounts comes flying aggro mobs , which brings more challenge to the environment.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

In before dead horse gif.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

So i cant tell if you are serious or not, but just in case…
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mounts-merged/page/19
This is where this thread is gonna end up regardless!

Attachments:

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: none.9681

none.9681

this week’s mount thread – check!
New Races thread next, please!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ranatoa.4869

Ranatoa.4869

I am pretty sure that no one is expecting them considering Anet even when out of their way to clarify that the beetle riding Hylek are not using a traditional mount system. There is no reason for mounts due to all the swiftness/movement speed bonuses, particularly combined with way points.

Also how do you have land mounts that don’t aggro mobs, then conclude that flying mounts would add flying aggro mobs?

Mounts [merged]

Gibson.4036

Just to summarize the last 3 years of this topic.

Against:

1. Waypoints.
2. Screen clutter.
3. Bad animations.
4. Balance around speed buffs.
5. Mount trolling.
6. Trivializing content by skipping
7. the Lore!11!!!1
8. I don’t like them.

For:
1. Whatever
2. Maybe you could turn them off?
3. See #2, besides ArenaNet does pretty good animations.
4. OOC speedbuffs shouldn’t be a balance issue, or don’t give mounts a speedbuff.
5. Lock them out of cities and vendor areas
6. See Waypoints.
7. List of examples where horseriding is referenced in both GW1 and GW2
8. I do.

Did I miss anything?

Mounts [merged]

Dante.1763

Told ya it would end up here.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Mounts [merged]

Gibson.4036

Told ya it would end up here.

Especially after flagging it for the forum moderators to do so.

Mounts [merged]

Gibson.4036

Just to summarize the last 3 years of this topic.

Against:

1. Waypoints.
2. Screen clutter.
3. Bad animations.
4. Balance around speed buffs.
5. Mount trolling.
6. Trivializing content by skipping
7. the Lore!11!!!1
8. I don’t like them.

For:
1. Whatever
2. Maybe you could turn them off?
3. See #2, besides ArenaNet does pretty good animations.
4. OOC speedbuffs shouldn’t be a balance issue, or don’t give mounts a speedbuff.
5. Lock them out of cities and vendor areas
6. See Waypoints.
7. List of examples where horseriding is referenced in both GW1 and GW2
8. I do.

Did I miss anything?

I realized I did miss something.

9. Go back to WoW! This isn’t WoW!

9. I forgot WoW invented mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I would prefer to have a 60-100% speed boost over the maps of WvW to reach my goal. Running there with constant skill uses etc. is annoying and also balances classes who have little access to convenient speed buffs. Also, there are maps like the SW where people WOULD use the wayponint after dying at Vinewrath if they have mounts. The argument that they won’t waypoint is it takes a kittenload of time to reach there again. With a speed boost of 100% you would be there in no time. Same goes with contested waypoints.

Besides: FFXIV has mounts and as well as waypoints. No one complains.
The cluttering argument is ridiculous: we have magic effects on bosses which clutter much worse than anything else.

The arguments of the naysayers are ridiculous at most – besides the resources and of course they had to change some stuff on the maps. In my opinion: most of those people just don’t want a ‘copy’ of a ‘generic MMO’.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

(edited by ProtoGunner.4953)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

I would prefer to have a 60-100% speed boost over the maps of WvW to reach my goal. Running there with constant skill uses etc. is annoying and also balances classes who have little access to convenient speed buffs. Also, there are maps like the SW where people WOULD use the wayponint after dying at Vinewrath if they have mounts. The argument that they won’t waypoint is it takes a kittenload of time to reach there again. With a speed boost of 100% you would be there in no time. Same goes with contested waypoints.

Besides: FFXIV has mounts and as well as waypoints. No one complains.
The cluttering argument is ridiculous: we have magic effects on bosses which clutter much worse than anything else.

The arguments of the naysayers are ridiculous at most – besides the resources and of course they had to change some stuff on the maps. In my opinion: most of those people just don’t want a ‘copy’ of a ‘generic MMO’.

Your first paragraph is why I don’t want mounts here.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

ff14 has one or 2 waypoints per zone. This is why it needs mounts. The zones are also a bit larger. Unless you are in a city where you can’t use mounts. The aethernet system in cities is pretty much the same as our WP system in gw2. But again no mounts in ff14 cities.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

Well, WoW is still subscription based or I might try it out again.
There’s also RIFT, which had its highlights, but it got boring fast.
A few of them was mentioning Archage but I’ve never looked into it, and they said that the cash shop is a bit overbearing, but 2 player mounts? sounds awesome.

I’ll just keep playing GW2 here and there, I’m ok without there being mounts, I’m fairly neutral on the subject myself.

Mounts are not keeping your friends from playing, if anything that would be just an excuse.

The way players sit around on their mounts in WoW we’re better off without mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Meeeeh, back in MY day I ran across all of Tyria and Cantha (friggin CANTHA) and Elona with my two legs and LIKED it.

Seriously.

So much run. So much.

Never once wanted a mount. Still don’t. Even LESS necessary now.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ShotgunDiplomat.7239

ShotgunDiplomat.7239

Honestly I think the cosmetic mounts are fine and would be pleased to see more of them. Specifically a charr steam powered motorbike.

Mounts [merged]

Dante.1763

Meeeeh, back in MY day I ran across all of Tyria and Cantha (friggin CANTHA) and Elona with my two legs and LIKED it.

Seriously.

So much run. So much.

Never once wanted a mount. Still don’t. Even LESS necessary now.

This! And it felt so much bigger too!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: BadSanta.6527

BadSanta.6527

i wish that mount were avilable in that game its can be nice and solve mobilitay problome what do you guys think?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Nope.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Garth Thurgen.1380

Garth Thurgen.1380

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ventari_Follower_Kite

Go buy it. Don’t complain that it’s not there.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

Mounts are for crazies. Swiftness.

“Would you kindly?”

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I am not sure what mobility problem you are referring to.

Mounts are not in the game because ANet is not yet convinced that they would generate sufficient revenue to offset the various costs associated with adding them.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

there is no point .. there is waypoints every 20 feet

and if u really want to ride something there is a broom and magic carpet

and at least we don’t need to listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_pnZQGpJITY

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Mobility problems are in the eye of the beholder. I started off on mesmer and even as slow as they are (especially in Orr we had at launch), I could get around fast enough.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s a design decision.

Instead of adding mounts to enable us to travel quickly they put a variety of speed boosts on skills and if that’s not enough waypoints dotted around the map so you can get close to where you need to go instantly (for a small fee).

I think there’s pros and cons to both methods, and even to having them both in the same game, but that’s what Anet wanted for their game.

Personally I like mounts, to the point where I’ll usually get a variety of different ones even if they have identical stats and abilities, but I honestly don’t miss them in GW2.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: McNinja.5417

McNinja.5417

there is no point .. there is waypoints every 20 feet

and if u really want to ride something there is a broom and magic carpet

and at least we don’t need to listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_pnZQGpJITY

You know, except for Silverwastes, where there are a total of 3 on the entire map, so if you died in VW or at Blue Oasis and Skritt tunnels were closed ( as they mostly are) you have to run across the entire map. No one likes that, not even with Swiftness.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

Yeah, no need with all the way points, and you can wp from anywhere, no need to go to a city or anything.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Coldblood.6971

Coldblood.6971

one of the things that make gw2 different and special that it doesnt have mounts ,go play WoW if you want to ride some dragon or kitten :S

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

i wish that mount were avilable in that game its can be nice and solve mobilitay problome what do you guys think?

What mobility problem?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

one of the things that make gw2 different and special that it doesnt have mounts ,go play WoW if you want to ride some dragon or kitten :S

So… no one knows any games with mounts except WoW? Someone even managed to say that “WoW invented” mounts O_____o .
No, seriously. I’m almost sure that most of mount haters do not hate mounts but just WoW itself.
And mounts – is a kind of scapegoat, because for them it seems “similar” to WoW, apparently?
So let’s, perhaps, be objective? Many people want to mount. Some of them strongly want it. Many could leave GW and go to other games for this reason (BDO will come soon, for example, where the half of the game is mounts system). Someone might benefit from this? Certainly not GW. Do we have worthy arguments against mounts exept the fact that someone “do not need them”? I think not.
So why would not they be? Empty carts and horses images are exist in the game, after all.

Personally, I want a mounted fights. I do not care about speed and other aspects. I think many people, besides myself, interested only of the question of the atmosphere too.
Therefore pls protest not against mounts but different ideas of speed bonuses and individuals who request them.

(edited by MeGaZlo.9516)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

For the people who feel the need to have some sort of mount – How many of you would still want one if there was only one model, and it was given to everyone for free?

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

(edited by Turk.5460)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

For the people who feel the need to have some sort of mount – How many of you would still want one if there was only one model, and it was given to everyone for free?

Well… If to be honest – ~90% of this game is “decorative only” stuff. Most of the time playing GW2 we spend on collecting of beautiful models for ourselves. And what model could be more impressive than the horse under our character? And if you give to this horse five fun skills that can somehow beat the mob, for exampe, it will satisfy people who thirst of the atmosphere and give the meaning to those who do not need mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Wolfmother.4098

Wolfmother.4098

Personally I don’t see the need for mounts. You can get around the world easy enough. If they were added it wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

We can make ourselves miserable, or we can make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Logos.1306

Logos.1306

I have one request to all mounts haters.

Please stop saying we have waypoins.

People dont want mounts because they want fast traveling.
They dont want to skip content. Its waypoints that make people skip content! No one run on map, all just use waypoints.

People who like to dive into the game. Who like to feel it. Feel the immersion. They like to run from one place to another. If you never tried it you have never experience the amazing feel of gw2 world.
And all who have tried it know that something is missing here. When you run from Fields of Ruin to Silverwastes you have a feeling that your legs hurt… And you know that you could use a mount.

People dont want mounts to skip content or fast travel. They want them to feel the immersion.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

people dont want mounts to skip content or fast travel. They want them to feel the immersion.

You might want to stick to speaking for yourself. For as long as this game has been around people asking for mounts have stated that they want them for fast travel. Should we assume that they were lying when they specifically stated what they want or that you know better than they do what they want?