My Greatest Fear Plotline

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JusticarArkiel.1564

JusticarArkiel.1564

I believe I understand you’d like to know if the Personal Story can be “reset” to a previous state. I have sent an email to ask about that and will let you know when I get some info for you.

i think i might tear up a little, hope is restored somewhat. to be clear though gaile, i think it’s almost unanimous amongst players that we would very much like the PS to be put back the way it was, not just temporarily, but permanently. keep the every-10-level block if it’s felt as necessary, just make the orr related arcs longer. while the change was supposed to make them shorter to begin with, as it was felt the orr arc was too long by whoever is in charge of such things, i think most players can probably say the length is worth it if we can have the story back to the way we liked it most. i also think most would certainly prefer the team not spend a massive amount of time just trying to patch the plot holes with changes to dialogue, cutscenes, etc. It would be much easier and much more appreciated if it could just be reverted back the way it was, order and length wise. i don’t claim to know how to code things, but i don’t see it being very difficult to just put code back in and rearrange code that actively exists. but still, it’s good to see a red post in this thread that is giving us some information, even if it is “we’ve heard you all Q_Q’ing, so we’ll try to fix it” :P
thanks gaile

P.S. my whole “i think all players” and “most players” things are mostly drawn from what i’ve seen here and in-game, so please no “you don’t speak for all players” or “stop showing your opinions as facts agreed on by everyone” replies. these are just my opinions based on what i have seen both in the forums and ingame, so please no hate my fellow players.

Fix what you have before you build something new

(edited by JusticarArkiel.1564)

Posted by: AirimirOfGondor.9081

AirimirOfGondor.9081

I inquired about these concerns, and our narrative director shared the following:

Thank you so much for your comments. We realize that the changes that were made have impacted the personal story, and we are working to fix this. This requires a good deal of resources, so we do not have a set date for when these fixes will be implemented. We appreciate your patience and will update with more information as it becomes available.

Gaile,

I know there are a lot of people in this thread who will focus on the fact that up until this point we did not know this. But looking forward to the future, I think this is a really good and really important first step.

I know that coming here must have been a very hard thing to do, given how upset a lot of these players are, but I think everyone can see that the future is a lot more promising now that you have done so.

We do not need to know every little spoiler or every little detail, but knowing things like this really helps keep people from wildly speculating.

That being said, the more we know early on, the more we can give feedback and potentially identify problems in concepts however vague and try to help steer away from investing resources into projects with problems, so however much info people are able to give, it can really help a lot.

I believe I understand you’d like to know if the Personal Story can be “reset” to a previous state. I have sent an email to ask about that and will let you know when I get some info for you.

More or less. It could still be in the new chapter format, just with the individual story steps back in the order they were in, including those currently missing.

I really do appreciate your efforts.

Thanks for the info. (And your kind words. <3 )

I think a lot of us here know that chapter-izing Greatest Fear might take a lot of work especially if no one tried to do it before, but knowing that you guys are thinking about it truly warms my heart at this point.

You may not realize it Gaile, but the communication you are giving us is going to heal a lot of old wounds and is letting the players know you care. What you are doing is really, really important right now. And if there are a few people who are still too hurt to realize it, give them time to heal and please do not get scared away from us. I believe that a lot of us, myself included, only see your being here as a very, very good thing. So thank you again Gaile.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

I just now decided to pick up on personal story from forging the pact on my guardian and I…. this makes no freaking sense at all anymore.

The prior arrangement of chapters made sense, you gradually pushed your way through Orr, now you go straight from Concordia to Fort Trinity with 0 development in between it goes instantly from this barely cooperating group operating out of a rickety wood fort that has now been torn apart by Mordrem vines… to operating out of a high tech super reinforced fortress with mega lasers and cannons and the pact working together as an elite fighting force overnight. They’ve got an orb that somehow is a macguffin against the undead that has 0 explanation as to how they came to acquire it, deus ex machina I guess, and you go from Fort Trinity to immediately cleansing the corruption of Orr in cursed shore.

If I were a new player doing this I’d say Arenanet had the worst writing team in the industry.

This was supposed to clarify for new players? No it made it far far worse.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

Gaile Gray.6029:
I inquired about these concerns, and our narrative director shared the following:
Thank you so much for your comments. We realize that the changes that were made have impacted the personal story, and we are working to fix this. This requires a good deal of resources, so we do not have a set date for when these fixes will be implemented. We appreciate your patience and will update with more information as it becomes available.

That has to be the most frank, clear, to the point response we’ve ever gotten.

Thanks Gaile and whoever replied to you!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m very glad to hear this is still being worked on and our concerns haven’t just been forgotten.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Thank you, Gaile. It’s good to know that our concerns have been heard, and that plans ARE in the works to address this.

I’d echo Konig’s request though; we’d like to know how exactly these problems will be addressed. Will it be by reconfiguring the Personal Story so that the missing segments of the “My Greatest Fear” and “Invasion of Orr” chapters are once again available? Or will it simply be by further removing any lingering references to the cut steps? Because the second option, while still a “solution”, is obviously not one that we want to see happen.

In any case though, thank you SO much for your time and effort in getting us this information.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

I just now decided to pick up on personal story from forging the pact on my guardian and I…. this makes no freaking sense at all anymore.

The prior arrangement of chapters made sense, you gradually pushed your way through Orr, now you go straight from Concordia to Fort Trinity with 0 development in between it goes instantly from this barely cooperating group operating out of a rickety wood fort that has now been torn apart by Mordrem vines… to operating out of a high tech super reinforced fortress with mega lasers and cannons and the pact working together as an elite fighting force overnight. They’ve got an orb that somehow is a macguffin against the undead that has 0 explanation as to how they came to acquire it, deus ex machina I guess, and you go from Fort Trinity to immediately cleansing the corruption of Orr in cursed shore.

If I were a new player doing this I’d say Arenanet had the worst writing team in the industry.

This was supposed to clarify for new players? No it made it far far worse.

That was probably an oversight for switching it. Assuming they are going to stick to that route, I believe they need to either rewrite the story from scratch or revert it back to what it once was. And judging from the time it takes, I could only imagine it’s actually more difficult to pull off. What I am at least assured of is this: the missing story instances are still a part of the game’s code so it’s never removed.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Malkavian.4516

i think i might tear up a little, hope is restored somewhat. to be clear though gaile, i think it’s almost unanimous amongst players that we would very much like the PS to be put back the way it was, not just temporarily, but permanently. keep the every-10-level block if it’s felt as necessary, just make the orr related arcs longer. while the change was supposed to make them shorter to begin with, as it was felt the orr arc was too long by whoever is in charge of such things, i think most players can probably say the length is worth it if we can have the story back to the way we liked it most. i also think most would certainly prefer the team not spend a massive amount of time just trying to patch the plot holes with changes to dialogue, cutscenes, etc. It would be much easier and much more appreciated if it could just be reverted back the way it was, order and length wise. i don’t claim to know how to code things, but i don’t see it being very difficult to just put code back in and rearrange code that actively exists. but still, it’s good to see a red post in this thread that is giving us some information, even if it is “we’ve heard you all Q_Q’ing, so we’ll try to fix it” :P
thanks gaile

P.S. my whole “i think all players” and “most players” things are mostly drawn from what i’ve seen here and in-game, so please no “you don’t speak for all players” or “stop showing your opinions as facts agreed on by everyone” replies. these are just my opinions based on what i have seen both in the forums and ingame, so please no hate my fellow players.

I’m with you on this 100 percent. But in my opinion, if they are going to stick with this arrangement, that means adding something new to make the new arrangement be seamless. I just hope that Anet learns their lesson in that they should NEVER tamper with the story now that it’s gone full release no matter what the people may complain about. If they are legitimate complaints about it, they should just learn from those mistakes and improve upon it in future story chapters.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Contort Reality.3921

Contort Reality.3921

I recall the first time I played the game during the prerelease. The first thing that triggered my initial love for the game was when my character said the first introductory words:
“This is my story”.

I’m glad that someone is now looking into problems regarding personal story. I hope that future content will make future content as personally engaging as killing Zaitan was.

Danikat.8537

I recall the first time I played the game during the prerelease. The first thing that triggered my initial love for the game was when my character said the first introductory words:
“This is my story”.

I’m glad that someone is now looking into problems regarding personal story. I hope that future content will make future content as personally engaging as killing Zaitan was.

Considering a lot of players think killing Zhaitan was incredibly anti-climatic and were really disappointed with how disconnected you were from the fight (mainly due to spending long periods waiting to attack, and then just pressing 1 button to use a turret instead of your own skills) I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic here.

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

I suppose the premise of killing Zhaitan (as it has been built up through the progress of the story) is satisfying enough, covering the “personally engaging” part. The actual fight was not, however.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Personal Story in the daily today. Yup, can’t finish can’t finish Chpt 6. A light in the darkness. Oh well.

Got disconnected from the server. On relogging, the PS completed. Who knows why.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

(edited by Herr der Friedhoefe.2490)

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Anet went the easy way – “if they complained about it, let’s remove it” – rather than the proper way – “if they complained about it, let’s improve it”.

Just a small quote on your post because it’s too specific looking into a possible solution for me. But I always thought the personally story needed improvement. Especially the attachment to certain characters was too quick. I dunno how vocal I have been about it as it was a long time ago, but I’m pretty sure this was already known on Anets behalf.

I don’t think that people being vocal about such things mean they are to blame. In the end it’s ArenaNet that is responsible about their game development and not those who complain. I honestly believe that ArenaNet tries too much to please players rather than taking a more professional stance on the design.

I like that people can voice their opinions about certain things, and I like to see some sort of response to that, even now “we are working on it” is enough for me.
I really don’t want them to say oh because person X said that we’re going to do that, rather than looking what is the best for the story.

I feel like cutting or shortening a story because there are players who said the book is too thick or they don’t like it, doesn’t mean they should rip out pages. I rather have them work it like we have x time we can do x instances, and this portrays the story in the best way.

As long as they don’t touch Trahearne. To me he always was growing in the story rather than every other stereotype character.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Contort Reality.3921

“This is my story”.

Considering a lot of players think killing Zhaitan was incredibly anti-climatic and were really disappointed with how disconnected you were from the fight (mainly due to spending long periods waiting to attack, and then just pressing 1 button to use a turret instead of your own skills) I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic here.

I concede that the ‘actually killing Zhaitan’ part was uncharacteristically mechanical. I guess I was comparing the trek into Orr with what we are currently doing in the Mordremoth arc so far. The initial effort to cross 3 maps full of undead is much more jarring than, say, putting out plant infestations propping out randomly in far flung corners of the map.

Maybe its me, but thus far Mordremoth is relatively unexciting compared to the temple corrupting, undead controlling Zhaitan. Then again, I was approaching this from a personal story standpoint as opposed to a challenge standpoint. How many here feel that Mordremoth is an engaging opponent so far?

Contort Reality.3921

I agree that in story Arah Zhaitan is surprisingly easier than say certain other bosses within that instance, but I believe this thread primarily deals with story related issues within the game. If you are looking for a skill challenge, I believe explorable dungeons, world bosses and pvp should provide sufficient recourse. However, the whole point of personal story as originally envisioned was to gradually introduce the player with in-game lore with incremental changes in difficulty to account for player levelling and experience. I know some players who played the entire game without ever touching PS and who are not affected by the September changes but I suppose this thread was set up by people who are. Along with the others who enjoyed the Mordremoth arc so far, I hope it eventually turns out to be as devastating to Tyria as the other dragons were and its final confrontation makes killing Scarlet Brair feel like taking candy from a baby.

Posted by: Lady Elvea.2847

Lady Elvea.2847

The way I remember Zhaitan is still coloured by all the post-launch bugs during the first week or so. It took us about 4 restarts to even get to where he shows up (having bugged out several times during the Wraith boss fight which triggered a DC for everyone if he used a certain skill) only to find out that due to some freak glitch…

…Zhaitan never actually showed up. We literally waited for him to spawn for an hour or so making jokes that he ran home to cry to his momma until we finally had to admit that Arah had bugged on us. Again. >.>

When I finally got to fight him I think I was just happy we actually got there and had no more bugs along the way, so I didn’t care too much about how easy it was.

Compared to other story parts, including MGF, the final boss fight was indeed a little underwhelming in scope and style. I still enjoyed the rest of the mission, the end was just anticlimactic.

Removing the good parts of the PS instead of polishing up the bad doesn’t make sense to me. Fingers crossed Gaile will be able to tell us a little more about all this soon.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Personal Story in the daily today. Yup, can’t finish can’t finish Chpt 6. A light in the darkness. Oh well.

Got disconnected from the server. On relogging, the PS completed. Who knows why.

Well, that’s odd! Perhaps an early Wintersday gift from Dwayna?

I don’t make light of the issue, believe me, nor of the concerns about the situation. But I can’t help but think it’s quite nice that a work-around took place that allowed you to get the daily credit.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Well, that’s odd! Perhaps an early Wintersday gift from Dwayna?

I don’t make light of the issue, believe me, nor of the concerns about the situation. But I can’t help but think it’s quite nice that a work-around took place that allowed you to get the daily credit.

…for most players, daily is quite fast and easy to complete… but for all of them, if a glitch causes you to complete this personal story step (without actually being able to experience it), you will never be able to play it again… so there’s no way this is a ‘nice’ outcome, for everyone here would rather have the latter than a free daily.

On a side note, any news for us? ;3

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

You make a good point, OtakuModeEngage. I was seeing the “glass half full” but there’s definitely a drawback. I would suggest an in-game bug report on this, as I know they are being monitored.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Anet went the easy way – “if they complained about it, let’s remove it” – rather than the proper way – “if they complained about it, let’s improve it”.

Just a small quote on your post because it’s too specific looking into a possible solution for me. But I always thought the personally story needed improvement. Especially the attachment to certain characters was too quick. I dunno how vocal I have been about it as it was a long time ago, but I’m pretty sure this was already known on Anets behalf.

I don’t think that people being vocal about such things mean they are to blame. In the end it’s ArenaNet that is responsible about their game development and not those who complain. I honestly believe that ArenaNet tries too much to please players rather than taking a more professional stance on the design.

I like that people can voice their opinions about certain things, and I like to see some sort of response to that, even now “we are working on it” is enough for me.
I really don’t want them to say oh because person X said that we’re going to do that, rather than looking what is the best for the story.

I feel like cutting or shortening a story because there are players who said the book is too thick or they don’t like it, doesn’t mean they should rip out pages. I rather have them work it like we have x time we can do x instances, and this portrays the story in the best way.

As long as they don’t touch Trahearne. To me he always was growing in the story rather than every other stereotype character.

I agree, though I think the PS’s improvement that’s needed is more in lengthening. Both the Personal Story and the Living World plots feel wrapped up far too quickly, our character having a set opinion far too fast. Except with Canach, where we’re delivering death threats a year and a half after his crimes that had good intention.

The biggest issue I feel that The Source of Orr being the climax had was that there was no real attachment for the player to be there – hence the “spotlight stealing”. The character has reason, but not the player. I think this could be mitigated by having the Sovereign Eye of Zhaitan showing up earlier a few times before confronting him there – to give a sense of attachment to the enemy. A lot of enemies have this “see once and done” kind of situation – Kudu and Caudecus seem to really be the only counters to this, aside from certain PS C1 enemies that show up once or twice before the final confrontation (e.g., Commander Serentine).

Simply rename the Eye of Zhaitan in A Light in the Darkness and Temple of the Forgotten God (presuming the order is back to its original position) would be enough to establish some sense of a reoccuring villain. Placing him on a ledge in Forging the Pact – unreachable but observing (similar to the first view of Mazdak the Accursed) will further this for those who see him before he silently disappears. Making him the “top dog” of the dragon minions who retreated to The Artesian Waters only after a lot of progress in the invasion of Orr was made.

But ah, I’m blabbing on.

I just hope that if they’re really reworking a lot of the PS, they have something to fix ALL issues. And I speak more than just the obvious dialogue issues or bringing back the Greatest Fear arc.

I mean fixing the issues like how you’re going through the temple of Melandru while it was still a heavily fortified risen fortress, or having an airdrop via airship to Cursed Shore with Zhaitan and hundreds of dragons in the way.

In all honesty, without changing where The Artesian Waters are, and how they’re found, the only solution to fixing some plotholes from the re-arranging is to go back to the original order of story steps.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I agree, though I think the PS’s improvement that’s needed is more in lengthening. Both the Personal Story and the Living World plots feel wrapped up far too quickly, our character having a set opinion far too fast. Except with Canach, where we’re delivering death threats a year and a half after his crimes that had good intention.

The biggest issue I feel that The Source of Orr being the climax had was that there was no real attachment for the player to be there – hence the “spotlight stealing”. The character has reason, but not the player. I think this could be mitigated by having the Sovereign Eye of Zhaitan showing up earlier a few times before confronting him there – to give a sense of attachment to the enemy. A lot of enemies have this “see once and done” kind of situation – Kudu and Caudecus seem to really be the only counters to this, aside from certain PS C1 enemies that show up once or twice before the final confrontation (e.g., Commander Serentine).

Simply rename the Eye of Zhaitan in A Light in the Darkness and Temple of the Forgotten God (presuming the order is back to its original position) would be enough to establish some sense of a reoccuring villain. Placing him on a ledge in Forging the Pact – unreachable but observing (similar to the first view of Mazdak the Accursed) will further this for those who see him before he silently disappears. Making him the “top dog” of the dragon minions who retreated to The Artesian Waters only after a lot of progress in the invasion of Orr was made.

But ah, I’m blabbing on.

I just hope that if they’re really reworking a lot of the PS, they have something to fix ALL issues. And I speak more than just the obvious dialogue issues or bringing back the Greatest Fear arc.

I mean fixing the issues like how you’re going through the temple of Melandru while it was still a heavily fortified risen fortress, or having an airdrop via airship to Cursed Shore with Zhaitan and hundreds of dragons in the way.

In all honesty, without changing where The Artesian Waters are, and how they’re found, the only solution to fixing some plotholes from the re-arranging is to go back to the original order of story steps.

Yeah I believe that as well.

And yeah perhaps Trahearne has more spotlight with the cleansing of Orr, but I felt that was entirely appropriate, even though it wasn’t really our mission. That the enemies weren’t reoccuring made quite a bit of sense for me, albeit we are just slashing through them. We basically kill everything on first encounter, leaving no attachment with any of the villains. What I think should’ve been done is that the connection of the eyes and the mouths to have more soul of Zaithan himself and be an extend of Zaithan himself rather than stand alone beings. They are called bodyparts of Zaithan so we should get to know Zaithan more and more as we progress. And thus killing the eyes will weaken Zaithan more and more. I never really thought that these eye should be reoccuring villains because to me they were just an extension of Zaithan himself. He simply used the spirits/bodies as such to use them like that. But that was my personal view to the whole deal.

I dunno though I just played a part on my thief and it’s still in the weird state where you skip alot of the stuff. It feels very disconnected. I hope this gets fixed soon.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

I’m glad to see they are aware of this issue. It was a terrible decision to remove that content, and the business with the greatest fears change was awful. That was some of the most interesting story – the branching options offered all sorts of re-playability. I’m not going to play anything from A Light in the Darkness or beyond.

I did do it on one character pre the change, and cleared the whole story, so I’m fine in that regards, but I’ll avoid doing it on any others in case they change it back. Like others have said, please fix this, even if it takes a while – It’s totally worth it. (Heck, for people that wanna rush through it, just give an option to skip it or something).

I must admit, I never have understood how less content and less options are a good thing. Makes no sense.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Reusou.8475

Reusou.8475

On the subject of making things more personal to the player character, I really wished that they would have made Zhaitan actually force us to fight the risen version of our order mentor. It almost seemed like they were hinting and hyping that up in the Eye of Zhaitan fight.

I mean, it would have broken my heart, yeah, but it would have been really satisfying to see that comradeship have a physical ending nearing the end of the personal story, and potentially have a chance to liberate them from Zhaitan, sort of as a final tearjerker goodbye.

Trahearne would have had a chance to react upon that scene too (hopefully with actual emotion), giving more sign of comradeship between you and Trahearne. As this would most likely happen after Trahearne had completed his Wyld Hunt, it would make your unified motivation more adamant, since the mentor was close to both you and him.

Lady Elvea.2847

On the subject of making things more personal to the player character, I really wished that they would have made Zhaitan actually force us to fight the risen version of our order mentor. It almost seemed like they were hinting and hyping that up in the Eye of Zhaitan fight.

I mean, it would have broken my heart, yeah, but it would have been really satisfying to see that comradeship have a physical ending nearing the end of the personal story, and potentially have a chance to liberate them from Zhaitan, sort of as a final tearjerker goodbye.

Trahearne would have had a chance to react upon that scene too (hopefully with actual emotion), giving more sign of comradeship between you and Trahearne. As this would most likely happen after Trahearne had completed his Wyld Hunt, it would make your unified motivation more adamant, since the mentor was close to both you and him.

That would have been more or less a rehash of a major GW:Proph plot point. I’m kind of glad they didn’t go that way… and considering the fact that you already encounter several undead versions of companions, including in one of the MGF storylines I don’t think it would have made that much of an impact at the end to be honest.

I mean, at some point it’s just “yeah, we get it, undead friends come back to chew on us, moving on”.

Fighting Zhaitan could definitely be more interesting, but another undead former ally probably isn’t the best way to do so.

Posted by: Reusou.8475

Reusou.8475

That would have been more or less a rehash of a major GW:Proph plot point. I’m kind of glad they didn’t go that way… and considering the fact that you already encounter several undead versions of companions, including in one of the MGF storylines I don’t think it would have made that much of an impact at the end to be honest.

I mean, at some point it’s just “yeah, we get it, undead friends come back to chew on us, moving on”.

Fighting Zhaitan could definitely be more interesting, but another undead former ally probably isn’t the best way to do so.

Indeed, it probably would have had more impact if the order mentor was the only undead comrade that one would be forced to fight. That said, outside the Greatest Fear arc there have not been many if any undead allies that receive enough development or insight to really warrant feels. I have only seen the Charr and Asura plots at the moment, so I have yet to see other cases.

But for example, Howl from the charr storyline failed to encourage a remarkably emotional impact, since his only living appearance was in the tutorial. When compared to that, I felt the order mentors would have been the most delicious of feel-machines.

However, indeed, as things are, it would have just felt redundant no matter how finely it would have been written. My apologies.

(edited by Reusou.8475)

Lady Elvea.2847

No need to apologise just for sharing your thoughts.

Danikat.8537

Except most people I know reacted to that point in GW1 with some variation on “Finally I get to kill him myself and it will actually help the mission!” Kind of like in the Tower of Nightmares when we got to fight Trahearne. People actually like the Order mentors.

(Also, although it’s a standard tactic in GW1 I found it amusing that the best way to do that fight was to aggro him so he ran away from his allies and you could kill him before they had a chance to catch up.)

Lady Elvea.2847

Except most people I know reacted to that point in GW1 with some variation on “Finally I get to kill him myself and it will actually help the mission!” Kind of like in the Tower of Nightmares when we got to fight Trahearne. People actually like the Order mentors.

(Also, although it’s a standard tactic in GW1 I found it amusing that the best way to do that fight was to aggro him so he ran away from his allies and you could kill him before they had a chance to catch up.)

I actually liked him! Well, as a character anyway… as an NPC not so much. (Made for a great Monk exam though. Keep him alive in HM and you pass!) I also have a sneaking suspicion that we might see him back in GW2 somehow, what with Rytlock and the sword and all… >.>

I’m not sure people actually like the Order mentors, or at least not all of them equally. Tybalt seems to get much love, but the Vigil one was kind of meh (can’t even recall the name!) and Sieran… I think I actually celebrated not having to put up with her anymore.

In any case, I don’t think GW2 would benefit from George R.R. Martin style storytelling. Except maybe if the dragons pitched in more. I would love to see Jormy and Primy go ice and fire over the Deldrimor Steel Throne. Or whatever. xD

Back on track… any news / further details for us in the meantime, Gaile?

Posted by: SlayerGT.6805

SlayerGT.6805

I don’t mean to troll but that email is taking hella long to arrive innit >_>

Posted by: Zero.4190

Zero.4190

Is there any progress with fixing of personal story? I will not play GW until it will be fixed.
Sorry, I’m new to this forums and did not read previous pages. -_-

(edited by Zero.4190)

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

Is there any progress with the fixing of personal story? I will not play GW until it will be fixed.
Sorry, I’m new to this forums and did not read previous pages. -_-

No, no news. I’ve got 5 characters in limbo until the issue is fixed, too. But to be honest, I’m not holding my breath. They are acting very, very weird about the subject.

Zero.4190

No, no news. I’ve got 5 characters in limbo until the issue is fixed, too. But to be honest, I’m not holding my breath. They are acting very, very weird about the subject.

No spoilers about the living world story, please. Maybe this issue will be fixed. Before the end of this season. -_-

Konig Des Todes.2086

I don’t mean to troll but that email is taking hella long to arrive innit >_>

It may never arrive. I’ve requested information from Stephane many times with promises to email the appropriate individuals, never to hear more again – usually being told “they haven’t responded yet, I’ll send another” or “they’re very busy atm, so it may take quite some time” if I inquire.

No spoilers about the living world story, please. Maybe this issue will be fixed. Before the end of this season. -_-

I doubt it, since the next Season 2 release is – by all indication – the finale, which happens after Anet comes back from their winter break. So unless they’re very close to completing it, won’t be happening before January 13th.

This said, there’s also Season 1 that you’ll be unable to experience due to it being created in a different format (temporary mostly open world content) that flubbed up and now needs to be reformated almost completely in order to be permanent.

However, you’re story-messup free until Level 70 content (don’t complete A Light in the Darkness, and if you do, definitely don’t complete Retribution). However, given that some lines were changed for the level 60 Personal Story content, we may be seeing changes to much earlier than the mess ups. And I am ever increasingly doubtful they’ll revert the changes, just fix dialogue (spoken and text) for some odd reason (despite the complaints, there really wasn’t much wrong with it aside from minor points and bugs – the complaints were really just haters hating).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Zero.4190

I doubt it, since the next Season 2 release is – by all indication – the finale, which happens after Anet comes back from their winter break. So unless they’re very close to completing it, won’t be happening before January 13th.

This said, there’s also Season 1 that you’ll be unable to experience due to it being created in a different format (temporary mostly open world content) that flubbed up and now needs to be reformated almost completely in order to be permanent.

However, you’re story-messup free until Level 70 content (don’t complete A Light in the Darkness, and if you do, definitely don’t complete Retribution). However, given that some lines were changed for the level 60 Personal Story content, we may be seeing changes to much earlier than the mess ups. And I am ever increasingly doubtful they’ll revert the changes, just fix dialogue (spoken and text) for some odd reason (despite the complaints, there really wasn’t much wrong with it aside from minor points and bugs – the complaints were really just haters hating).

Too late. -_- I’ve stopped after completing “Forging the Pact”. I did not know that the story was broken before this point. And it wasn’t broken.
Previous steps was completed before the feature pack. “Forging the Pact” was completed after the feature pack.
This is my story (already lvl 70). And I did not play GW since september.

(edited by Zero.4190)

Konig Des Todes.2086

If you reached Forging the Pact (completed Retribution) prior to the feature pack, you’ll be fine – you’ll get the original setup.

But if you reach Forging the Pact after the feature pack, even if you wait for them to fix it, you’ll still get the current order (changes within the steps may differ though).

Dear ANet writers,

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Can we get an update on this please anet?

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’m expecting the fixes no latter than next Feature Batch.

Which will be post-Season 2, most likely. So… February/March? :/

Though yes, an update so that we don’t get our expectations up again would be nice.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

Bump. I’m not giving up on this topic before I’m banned.

I hope the big announcement at PAX East is not about an expansion, but about fixing everything they broke last time instead.

Like the entire story!

SlayerGT.6805

Bump. I’m not giving up on this topic before I’m banned.

I hope the big announcement at PAX East is not about an expansion, but about fixing everything they broke last time instead.

Like the entire story!

How about both.

Posted by: triggerhappy.3871

triggerhappy.3871

One of my character played greatest fear and killed eye and mouth before update.
So, cleasing Orr should be later in the storyline.

Yesterday, I played personal story again.
After vigil tank, next story is ‘Victory or Death’ (kill Zhaitan).

Cleansing Orr part is gone.

They moved Cleansing Orr where Greatest Fear was.
Because Greatest Fear was played already, Cleansing Orr is gone for this time.

Someone changed this does not look like original storyteller who launched this game.

SlayerGT.6805

Someone changed this does not look like original storyteller who launched this game.

Because they are probably not. A lot of people from the old team are no longer with Anet. That is why, if this is indeed the case, this jumbling up of the story is especially messed up. It’s an insult to the original team’s work, in addition to making no sense whatsoever, neither story-wise nor as a decision. And still after all this time, all we’ve gotten as response to our concerns are unfulfilled promises of looking into the issue.

Posted by: Shmyt.7430

Shmyt.7430

I have abandoned the story line on almost every character now, I want MY story back, that’s what my guardian said in the beginning and that’s what i want to experience, my thief had it but I’m staying out of Orr until it is fixed.

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

I’m holding off on playing through the storyline again on my alts until this is fixed. Thank you for your communication, Gaile, I look forward to the narrative getting straightened out! I’ll keep an eye on this topic in the upcoming months to see when that might be.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

My brother was completely confused when he played through for the first time. I told him that the original team who designed this game was gone and the current staffers don’t care anymore. Because honestly, after all this time with no changes, that’s the truth.

Posted by: General Smashington.7295

General Smashington.7295

Does anyone know if the personal story was fixed when the last living story update arrived? I’ve been wanting to continue my characters’ stories, but due to the state that the personal story is in at the moment, I’m waiting until the Orr story line has been fixed/improved first.
It’s been a long while since there has been an official update on correcting the personal story, and I believe that many of us would like to know if there is anything being done to fix it currently. Guild Wars 2 is a great game and I would like to see it to continue as such.

Malkavian.4516

There was no information about it so far. I’d wager that it’ll be fixed at the next feature patch.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: ebrown.8193

ebrown.8193

There was no information about it so far. I’d wager that it’ll be fixed at the next feature patch.

Hopefully it’ll be fixed before Heart of Thorns is released, especially if it is in fact an expansion. I’m sure there will be a lot of new players who’ll want to catch up story wise.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Hopefully it’ll be fixed before Heart of Thorns is released, especially if it is in fact an expansion. I’m sure there will be a lot of new players who’ll want to catch up story wise.

I hope the patch is out way before HoT, I wouldn’t want this issue to be forgotten about when they add new content to the game ><. I would rather complete personal story on my alts before HoT.

Danikat.8537

I’m still holding out hope that this will be fixed, and soon.

My guess is that since Season 2 is finished and even I have to admit that Heart of Thorns is likely to be an expansion (I didn’t think they’d do one, but it’s the most likely guess right now) there’s going to be a gap before we continue the story. Which means they’re likely to put out a feature pack (or at least a big update focused on fixes and improvements rather than new stuff) it will be included in that.

Although having said that just because it seems sensible to me doesn’t mean they’ll actually do it. It would be really nice to get an update on whether this is being looked at since it’s been a long time since we’ve heard anything other than that Gaile will pass messages on.

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

Wait…so they removed the whole “A Light in the Darkness” chain of quests? That’s severely depressing. Next to Battle for Claw Island, Liberating Apatia had one of the best (read here: very emotional) endings in the Personal Story

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU