NCSOFT 4Q and Yearly results

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

As to GW2, how is it not P2W? Please point out how I can get good looking new armors in the last year that doesn’t involve the gem store? Or perhaps tell me how I can obtain watchwork sprockets next week outside of the vastly superior gem store only mining pick? Or maybe tell me how I can reasonably participate in super adventure box hard mode without the gem store only coin? Or maybe the gem store only resource packs for ascended jewelcrafting… I could go on and on, but that isn’t the purpose of this thread. I’m certainly not alone, many people see GW2 as a P2W game now, but that is just the way the market is heading, people have more money than time.

None of the things you mention relate to winning or to having a game play advantage over other players strictly because one paid real money and the others did not.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

As I said…doubtful.

Yes, highly doubtful.

As with all games, there will always be those that continuously cry ‘its dying. its dying. its dead. its dead.’ whether or not it’s actually true. Unfortunately its not really possible to shut them up. Not in any legal and ethical way, anyway.

Still, I am glad to see that sales (gemstore or otherwise. Sales are sales, period) are stabilizing. It promotes a positive outlook and shows that the game is holding its own, no matter what the gloom and doom heralds crow.

I remember a post by a guy crying that the game had been dead for “over a year”. When it had been out 10 months.

Magic the Gathering has been dying for 20 years now. Somehow, WotC seems to keep finding the money to release a new expansion for the game every four months like clockwork…

So, keep proclaiming that the game is dying/dead, and that (unreleased MMO) is going to kill the game, etc. The devs will continue ignoring you, improving the game, and cashing their checks.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

As I said…doubtful.

Yes, highly doubtful.

As with all games, there will always be those that continuously cry ‘its dying. its dying. its dead. its dead.’ whether or not it’s actually true. Unfortunately its not really possible to shut them up. Not in any legal and ethical way, anyway.

Still, I am glad to see that sales (gemstore or otherwise. Sales are sales, period) are stabilizing. It promotes a positive outlook and shows that the game is holding its own, no matter what the gloom and doom heralds crow.

I remember a post by a guy crying that the game had been dead for “over a year”. When it had been out 10 months.

Magic the Gathering has been dying for 20 years now. Somehow, WotC seems to keep finding the money to release a new expansion for the game every four months like clockwork…

So, keep proclaiming that the game is dying/dead, and that (unreleased MMO) is going to kill the game, etc. The devs will continue ignoring you, improving the game, and cashing their checks.

“He not busy being born is busy dying.” Bob Dylan

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I would suggest doing more research on wildstar. PvP is only a small part of that game.

As to GW2, how is it not P2W? Please point out how I can get good looking new armors in the last year that doesn’t involve the gem store? Or perhaps tell me how I can obtain watchwork sprockets next week outside of the vastly superior gem store only mining pick? Or maybe tell me how I can reasonably participate in super adventure box hard mode without the gem store only coin? Or maybe the gem store only resource packs for ascended jewelcrafting… I could go on and on, but that isn’t the purpose of this thread. I’m certainly not alone, many people see GW2 as a P2W game now, but that is just the way the market is heading, people have more money than time.

Wow nothing you listed has anything to do with winning. You know how you can obtain Watchwork sprockets 1000x faster than anyone with a gem store pick? Buy them on the effing tradepost….jesus…

Compared to someone who gets possibly 1 sprocket from each node, they would have to pour hours into grinding nodes to even come close to what 5secs on the tradepost would get you and for arguably cheaper. Their time spent hunting nodes to get the occasional sprocket costs them more than you just buying them. If anything they are losing and you are winning if that’s their method for obtaining sprockets.

And don’t even try the “well they can sell the sprockets for profit which gives them an advantage over me therefore its P2W waaaa” ploy. Sprockets are one of the worst selling items in the game. In a day of node grinding they might net 10-20s in sprockets. One dungeon path run will net you many times that amount in a fraction of the time. The only ones that complain about GW2 being P2W now are the ones that can’t afford to buy any of these vanity items and are jealous/bitter so they try to find some way to make it seem wrong that they are even offered.

Are you mad that people that purchased that mining pick now have access to a completely terrible, inefficient method to obtain sprockets and/or money? Really? Are you complaining just because you don’t have the option to grind for a worthless item inefficiently?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

tolunart.2095

Are you mad that people that purchased that mining pick now have access to a completely terrible, inefficient method to obtain sprockets and/or money? Really? Are you complaining just because you don’t have the option to grind for a worthless item inefficiently?

People who walk have a clear advantage over people with cars because when you walk everywhere, you can find a quarter on the sidewalk while someone who drives will pass by all that money without even noticing…

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Its good news and I am happy GW2 continues to do well.

Shows that regular updates (ie…Living Story works well with micro transaction ie…shop model)

Um No it doesn’t. It shows that people want something similar to GW2 or they want what was originally promised but it only takes another game to change all that. People wanted an upgrade from past games but GW2 has many flaws that need to be fixed in order to solidify and long term loyalty.

Um… you might need to elaborate a bit more on how you came to those conclusions based on the presented facts… a lot of it seems rather… personal opinion based.

Can someone explain me why they like Lineage 1 more than 2?

Sunk Cost Fallacy?!

The question is does that change or will sales keep going down. I personally think sales will continue to soften for a while if Anet continues to ignore many of GW2 major issues.

I think you’re ignoring the impact of market saturation and the hype cycle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hype_cycle).

And yes, cash shop sales figures has zero correlation with player numbers, time spent in-game. Cash shop sales might be booming, but my server population certainly isn’t …

Unless you have any figures on player population we can’t draw any correlations or make any assumptions, since all such assumptions would be heavily based on personal experience.

Full on pay to win huh? You aint played a real pay to win game I guess.

Few, few people that go around labelling things P2W have…

^
Typical.

Anet loses money, people will say the game is dying
Anet makes money, people will point out it’s short-term and the game is going to die anyway

It’s a lose-lose on these forums.

Well most forum go-ers… well they’re not always… well some of them aren’t even playing the game, and some only come to the forums to complain. I guess I’m no real exception, I’m taking a short break from GW2 myself (at least until the 18th, kinda looking forward to the new patch). It’s just something you need to keep in mind when reading most of these forum posts.

People who walk have a clear advantage over people with cars because when you walk everywhere, you can find a quarter on the sidewalk while someone who drives will pass by all that money without even noticing…

That’s deep, seriously man opened my mind right up. I’m so plagiarising.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

It seems to be doing remarkably well. It won’t beat Lineage, but that’s understandable. For some reason, the Korean market has a real kitten for that game.

Is Lineage a good game? Or is it just the difference between NA and Korean views on games?

Any way good to see GW2 doing well is the gem shop doing that well or are more copy being sold? I would love to see how a new p2p game pairs up namely ESO and Wild star.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Wow so true, I’ve never thought of it that way! You are also significantly less likely to get into a car accident walking on the street than driving a car so clearly walking is the advantage! Safer AND chances to find money! Walking is P2W!

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Your idea of “WINNING” is very different from mine….

I don’t begin to pretend they have not added lots of RL cash items (that CAN be obtained without RL cash, BTW) that can speed up or assist your specific personal goals in the game, but NONE of them are a requirement to play the game or be generally competitive where required.

As stated before, you either have NO knowledge of what an ACTUAL P2W game IS, or you just intentionally twist the term in your mind to suit some personal vendetta against GW2. I don’t disagree there is plenty of room for improvement in the game and I’m not crazy about some of the recent directions being taken, but I also realize they HAVE to make money and as of yet, I don’t see an instance where I MUST buy something or be unable to progress in the game.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: TChalla.7146

TChalla.7146

Wow so true, I’ve never thought of it that way! You are also significantly less likely to get into a car accident walking on the street than driving a car so clearly walking is the advantage! Safer AND chances to find money! Walking is P2W!

That doesn’t even take into consideration the very fact that the driver has to pay for the luxury of driving, through fuel, insurance, car maintenance, licenses, etc.

Walking is so P2W, it’s not even funny. Nerf the shoe companies!

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

ps: the gem store picks/axes/scythes are closer to being pay-to-lose than pay-to-win.

you could spend the same number of gems on gold and buy WAY more of those resources on the TP whereas it would take over a decade of daily harvesting to ever get your money’s worth out of the extra sprockets

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

ESO will be the flop of the year (just read every single independant review or experience the stress test betas yourself, it’s pretty bad, not an Elder scrolls game and not a real MMO experience),

Reviews are actually up and down. Its certainly not a game that hits you between the eyes but I suspect it may be a slow burner. I don’t think it will be an immediate success

and Wildstar only caters to a small playerbase interested in PvP who aren’t interested in graphics.

This is a complete mischaracterisation of Wildstar and its appeal.

GW2 is doing far better than what can be expected in a shrinking market.

And yet other surveys shows GW2 is well behind even SWTOR in cash shop sales.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Good news for people who like GW2 the way it is. Bad news for those hoping it will change direction.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I think NCSoft should celebrate by telling Anet to give bonus Gems to everyone who made a real money purchase within the last quarter. That little bonus would definitely make me buy more Gems later on!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Swoo.5079

Swoo.5079

That survey is as good as looking into Raptr or XFire hours and see that GW2 has more hours played than SWTOR.

GW2 revenue numbers are official.

SWTOR cash shop numbers come from an estimation by company with no reputation. Meanwhile EA revenue reports do not even show total revenue numbers for SWTOR but somehow we should believe that EA provide those numbers to a 3rd party.

Ascended items are Anet biggest mistake and a kneejerk reaction.

Swoo.5079

That survey is as good as looking into Raptr or XFire hours and see that GW2 has more hours played than SWTOR.

SWTOR cash shop numbers come from an estimation by a company with no reputation. Meanwhile EA revenue reports do not even show total revenue numbers for SWTOR but somehow we should believe that EA provide those numbers to a 3rd party.

Swoo.5079

SWTOR cash shop numbers come from an estimation by a company with no reputation and no mention of how the data was collected.
Meanwhile EA revenue reports do not even show total revenue numbers for SWTOR much less a breakdown in cash shop vs subs but somehow we should believe that EA provides those numbers to a 3rd party.

morrolan.9608

It was estimated sales, do you know how they got the numbers then? I haven’t seen anyone dispute them.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Swoo.5079

It was estimated sales, do you know how they got the numbers then? I haven’t seen anyone dispute them.

I have no idea how they got the numbers nor did they disclose to do so.
Mean while someone told me the following.

“The same “top 10 F2P sales” chart has been missing out 3 out of the top 5 heavy or full cashshop reliant Chinese MMO giants because superfailatresearch.com were and probably still are not aware of these games existence or scale. The same chart that mistook Lineage for a 100% F2P game. The same chart where they seriously said 213 Million of WoWs 2013 sales where from the cashshop when the total sales were at 804 Million because they had vastly overestimated total sales thinking WoW would make 170 – 210 Million every MONTH throughout 2013. The chart that claimed LoL and Crossfire at ridiculously low 1.7 Billion per anum and makes you wonder where Tencent keeps hiding the at least three dozen sources of the remaining 3.3 Billion online game revenues from 2013 each making less than 121 Million so they wouldnt be listed on the chart."
Its only a credible source if its suits your personal agenda or argument for or against whatever game or system you desire to defend or undermine. Now brace yourself for for the “its the best we can get even if its may be at best misleading and incorrect” and “its spot on because i said so and correlates with all the other data a.k.a whatever I want to hear” excuses."

And looking at the Terence claim alone seems to confirm something dodgy with that study.

(edited by Swoo.5079)

morrolan.9608

Like I said provide a cite then.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

tolunart.2095

ps: the gem store picks/axes/scythes are closer to being pay-to-lose than pay-to-win.

you could spend the same number of gems on gold and buy WAY more of those resources on the TP whereas it would take over a decade of daily harvesting to ever get your money’s worth out of the extra sprockets

But… when sprockets are only obtainable from mining picks, the price will shoot to 50s or more per sprocket, making them so much more valuable… only those players who bought the picks will be able to make money. It’ll pay for itself within the next month, honest! P2Win! !!!!one!one!eleven!

tolunart.2095

Glad to see someone gets the point.

TChalla.7146

But… when sprockets are only obtainable from mining picks, the price will shoot to 50s or more per sprocket, making them so much more valuable… only those players who bought the picks will be able to make money. It’ll pay for itself within the next month, honest! P2Win! !!!!one!one!eleven!

I predict closer to 1 gold per sprocket, since everyone that bought the picks will get together and fix the price by hoarding all of the sprockets in their bank/guild bank and only release so many to the public at a time, creating a false supply of said item.

/tinfoil hat

Swoo.5079

Like I said provide a cite then.

http://www.tencent.com/en-us/content/ir/rp/2013/attachments/201301.pdf

Just look at Tencent numbers.

Just for the first half the year their Games had revenues of $1.7Bn.
The study says lol and crossfire made $1.7Bn in one year.
Where is the other $1.5Bn of Tencent games revenue?

“Revenues from our VAS business increased by 1% to RMB10,752 million for the second quarter of 2013 from the first
quarter of 2013. Online games revenues increased by 2% to RMB7,594 million, despite weaker seasonality in China as a
result of school examinations. This mainly reflected revenue growth from our major titles, such as DnF and LoL, in China
as well as higher contribution from international markets. Social networks revenues decreased by 1% to RMB3,158
million. This primarily reflected a decrease in subscription revenues, partly offset by an increase in item-based sales
within applications on our open platforms.”

Are official numbers enough for you or do you prefer unofficial studies from entities that pop up from thin air?

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Keep in mind that NCsoft is a parent company of ArenaNet, so the profit GW2 supplies them with is probably less impactful to them than it is to ArenaNet which undoubtedly is making bank.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Any news how Gw2 is being received in China?

Still in Beta.

I posted some links in a now defunk thread, let me repost them here. You will either need to read Chinese or use a web page language translator.

http://gw2.kongzhong.com/news/20131212/1083.html
http://gw2.kongzhong.com/news/20131114/1045.html

But those are old, here is their news/announcements page.

http://gw2.kongzhong.com/latest/

Edit: Digging around some more it looks like a new Beta started up Jan 23rd and includes just Humans, Norns and Char. The previous one just had Humans, Sylvari and Asura. Interesting how they are testing in chunks.

Also they are also looking for voice talent so the game must only have text translated so far.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Behellagh.1468

As an NCSoft property, those profits need to be considerably higher to avoid shuttering and closure.

I hope the upcoming Asian release picks up the slack.

There are no profits listed, these are income numbers, ie sales. So bringing in 1/6th of NCSOFT’s total income isn’t enough to avoid shuttering. Then what about Aion, Blade & Soul and Lineage II which is bringing in less sales than GW2?

RIP City of Heroes

Swoo.5079

As an NCSoft property, those profits need to be considerably higher to avoid shuttering and closure.

There are no profits listed, these are income numbers, ie sales. So bringing in 1/6th of NCSOFT’s total income isn’t enough to avoid shuttering. Then what about Aion, Blade & Soul and Lineage II which is bringing in less sales than GW2?

What about Guild Wars 1?

I’m not sure profits or lack of them is the only reason NCSoft close games.
Asian culture is a bit different than our western culture – it isn’t all about profits (they are surely important) but also about loyalty and commitment.
If an Asian company think/believes you aren’t doing your best, they will stop doing business with you, even if you bring profits.

morrolan.9608

Are official numbers enough for you or do you prefer unofficial studies from entities that pop up from thin air?

There’s no break up there to do a like for like analysis, plus there’s the issue of currency conversion. If the numbers are dramatically wrong why hasn’t there been any sort of response?

And besides the numbers quoted by the OP wouldn’t put GW2 into the top 10 anyway so there probably isn’t any conflict.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

I personally think sales will continue to soften for a while if Anet continues to ignore many of GW2 major issues.

- Fixing the bugs won’t bring the company sales. Your want of competitive edge is what brings the sales. Repeated purchases and non-satiation is necessary. When you are satisfied you don’t need anything and company doesn’t get your money. These games work by constantly keeping the player chasing for the next thing. Have you done your daily yet?

Behellagh.1468

What about Guild Wars 1?

Asian culture is a bit different than our western culture – it isn’t all about profits (they are surely important) but also about loyalty and commitment.
If an Asian company think/believes you aren’t doing your best, they will stop doing business with you, even if you bring profits.

They didn’t shutter Guild Wars 1, it’s still alive and well. It’s just it’s income is now lumped into the “other” category when GW2 came out.

RIP City of Heroes

Swoo.5079

There’s no break up there to do a like for like analysis, plus there’s the issue of currency conversion. If the numbers are dramatically wrong why hasn’t there been any sort of response?

And besides the numbers quoted by the OP wouldn’t put GW2 into the top 10 anyway so there probably isn’t any conflict.

Because it is just a study with no legal value.

The Chinese government doesn’t let the RMB to change its value much against the dollar – for the last 12 months the CNY/USD low:0.16007, high:0.16575.

That doesn’t explain the difference between $1.7Bn that Crossfire+LoL generated in the study vs the $3.3Bn that Tencent generated in their online games – they have to have another 14 games all selling $100M.

But there is more discrepancies.
Lineage 1 is not a free to play game (unless I’m quite mistaken). But according to that study it generated $251M of microtransactions revenue. But in NCSoft report Lineage 1 generated $271M total revenue, including subscriptions.

Swoo.5079

What about Guild Wars 1?

They didn’t shutter Guild Wars 1, it’s still alive and well. It’s just it’s income is now lumped into the “other” category when GW2 came out.

No, no.
It must have been shuttered – NCSoft would never allow such a tiny game survive. What you see when you start the GW1 client is a product of your imagination. :P

Behellagh.1468

Yeah I jumped the gun there. It doesn’t hurt that GW2 has a tie in to GW in keeping GW alive.

RIP City of Heroes

Behellagh.1468

Because it is just a study with no legal value.

The Chinese government doesn’t let the RMB to change its value much against the dollar – for the last 12 months the CNY/USD low:0.16007, high:0.16575.

That doesn’t explain the difference between $1.7Bn that Crossfire+LoL generated in the study vs the $3.3Bn that Tencent generated in their online games – they have to have another 14 games all selling $100M.

But there is more discrepancies.
Lineage 1 is not a free to play game (unless I’m quite mistaken). But according to that study it generated $251M of microtransactions revenue. But in NCSoft report Lineage 1 generated $271M total revenue, including subscriptions.

First, 95.2% of Lineage 1 sales is just from South Korea. Second any sales run by a third party like it is in China is lumped in with Royalties and isn’t assigned to the particular game. Third, since it’s run by Tencent, they can run the game as F2P, just like every other of their licensed games. Just to be clear, Lineage is NOT F2P in South Korea.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

What I have learned is that there are quite a few people on this forum REALLY desperate to see GW2 fail…

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

What I have learned is that there are quite a few people on this forum REALLY desperate to see GW2 fail…

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

TChalla.7146

Agreed… 100%.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

^
Typical.

Anet loses money, people will say the game is dying
Anet makes money, people will point out it’s short-term and the game is going to die anyway

It’s a lose-lose on these forums.

Thats what I have been saying for a longer time. Not just here now because of those numbers.
Have a read: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-focus-on-micro-transactions/page/3#post3592184

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Wow, some of you guys are really tagging the heck out of that cash shop. They are making an insane amount of money.

Devata.6589

Fits with what many people say. The way Anet (or Ncsoft) is doing stuff now is great to squeeze out money in the short run but bad for the long run.

The rise in price will be because of people buying gems. This because they don’t want to miss temporary available items or don’t want to grind and so on.

However, at some point people will lose interest in it or get burned out by doing all the temporary stuff.. once they missed an item there is no need for a full collection anymore and buying items will also take away the fun of the game.

So then the gem sales will start to go down and people will start to leave.

Now imagine if they focused on expansions and so already had released a real expansions by now. Then they would have had a again some big sale numbers (maybe little less then the gem-sales, maybe not) but the game had to be less grindy to get people to buy gems, there would be no need for temporary stuff to get people to buy stuff, content would be of higher quality and so expansions in the future would likely also have high sales.

It will be really interesting what GW2 will do with the March patch and what the other MMO’s will do. GW2 did not really have any big other MMO to battle against but now a few big names will be released still I think EQN will be the biggest competitor for GW2 and thats still a year out.

I have to ask because I’m curious and don’t know when to shut up. Do you actually still play this game, and if so, why? Also, do you actually buy gems from the gem shop, and if so, why?

When I started reading this topic, my very first thought was that it was just a matter of time before you posted the same thing you post in every topic that might possible be even remotely linked to the cash shop. Thank you for not disappointing me.

I think anyone that reads the boards even semi-regularly understands your disdain for the cash shop and your overwhelming preference for expansions. We get it. We really do.

Having said that, kudos to NCSoft for making money and keeping me entertained. To celebrate, I might just have to go and buy… you guessed it… GEMS!

Not playing it lot. Hoping for better times. Don’t spend, never have spend and never will spend a dime on gems because I don’t want to support the destruction of the game.

I do talk about more things but if it’s gem-store related I do post this indeed. It’s what I see as the biggest problem for the game. Not so much the love for the expansions but the dislike for the influence the focus on the cash-shop has. But I told you that before many times.

And I am not surprised you are one of the gem-buyers. Thats how they design the game, pay to have fun. And you fall for it.

However no worries. I have said what had to been said. I said it long enough and often enough. I will not be posting much more on new threads. Will mainly react on comment on my comment and I will keep an eye on the CDI.

@Vol
As you see, TChalla is also aware I do have those same statement for a longer time. It’s not that I now say this because I want to be negative about it so I now say higher numbers are bad. It’s simply something I have been saying for a long time as TChalla’s reactions proofs.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Devata.6589

Wow, some of you guys are really tagging the heck out of that cash shop. They are making an insane amount of money.

Not everybody is able to handle money. Anet uses some tactics to get people to buy gems. Make everything a grind to get people to buy gems and put items in the cash-shop temporary so they buy it before it’s gone, RNG for those with gambling problems.

Just marketing tricks and some people easily fall for it.

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Not everybody is able to handle money. Anet uses some tactics to get people to buy gems. Make everything a grind to get people to buy gems and put items in the cash-shop temporary so they buy it before it’s gone, RNG for those with gambling problems.

Yeh, I have a few friends to quit because they got tired of the game being turned into one big marketing scheme. For a year there wasn’t a single piece of decent permanent content added to this game. It was all temporary content meant to trick people into buying the “new rare” item before it was gone after 2 weeks.

Behellagh.1468

It’s only a grind because ANet lets players convert in game coin into gems. The question that we will never know is how well would the game have done if that wasn’t an option.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Thats how they design the game, pay to have fun. And you fall for it.

Paying for what you want and receive is not something to, “fall for.”

Its pretty sad when paying for something you want is portrayed as some sort of trick that you fall for. But hey, why should I fall for that whole, “pay to have,” a roof over my head, or, “pay to have,” food on the table, or, “pay to,” have a car to drive. Falling for that trick of not getting what I want for free is lame !

By the way, the only games out there that are not, “pay to have fun,” are those where the fun of the non payers is being subsidized by those who do pay.

morrolan.9608

It’s only a grind because ANet lets players convert in game coin into gems. The question that we will never know is how well would the game have done if that wasn’t an option.

Yep, to me this is the biggest problem with the cash shop the whole RMT side of it.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

Behellagh.1468

I understand why they did it. It was a means of getting the gold used to pay for gems without mucking up the economy. It’s also a way to try to take a bite out of 3rd party RMT groups that in reality use it as a means to get access to account and credit card/paypal info, which is never good for an MMO to have their customers preyed upon.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Well the important thing to take from their finance report is the fact that they said they are focused on launching in China and have no plans for expansions atm.

So gg Anet.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

They have no plans for a boxed expansion set… no. Then again, they’ve ALWAYS been lukewarm at best on a traditional expansion model for GW2 anyway.

TChalla.7146

Not playing it lot. Hoping for better times. Don’t spend, never have spend and never will spend a dime on gems because I don’t want to support the destruction of the game.

I do talk about more things but if it’s gem-store related I do post this indeed. It’s what I see as the biggest problem for the game. Not so much the love for the expansions but the dislike for the influence the focus on the cash-shop has. But I told you that before many times.

And I am not surprised you are one of the gem-buyers. Thats how they design the game, pay to have fun. And you fall for it.

However no worries. I have said what had to been said. I said it long enough and often enough. I will not be posting much more on new threads. Will mainly react on comment on my comment and I will keep an eye on the CDI.

@Vol
As you see, TChalla is also aware I do have those same statement for a longer time. It’s not that I now say this because I want to be negative about it so I now say higher numbers are bad. It’s simply something I have been saying for a long time as TChalla’s reactions proofs.

You totally misunderstood what Vol was saying. But whatever.

As far as me “falling for” buying gems because I happen to enjoy the game as it sits, you can think what you want about it. I don’t have a problem buying things like extra bank slots, the extra bag slot or extra character slots. It beats having to pay a monthly subscription fee and also beats having to pay $60 for an expansion. I buy what I want and don’t buy what I don’t want.