New Armor Preview!

New Armor Preview!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

AAAAAAAAHH!!
I can finally wear Norn-style armor on a human! THANK YOU!!
I’m making a Warrior RIGHT kitten now JUST for the Braham armor.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

I like the medium armor. Y’all be crazy.

I like it alright but it has the same problem as all current medium armor, your armor is your coat and nothing else, it covers everything and there is no opportunity to individualize your character by mixing and matching.

Well someone at Anet in the art department agrees with this and the reason I say this is I noticed some bandits in the CM dungeon that were wearing a light top with medium pants. . . hmm I wonder why? Because light armor has no pants and medium armor has no shirts, just trench coats. And it looked good. Seriously the bandits get to be more fashion forward than PC.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

I like the medium armor. Y’all be crazy.

I like it alright but it has the same problem as all current medium armor, your armor is your coat and nothing else, it covers everything and there is no opportunity to individualize your character by mixing and matching.

Well someone at Anet in the art department agrees with this and the reason I say this is I noticed some bandits in the CM dungeon that were wearing a light top with medium pants. . . hmm I wonder why? Because light armor has no pants and medium armor has no shirts, just trench coats. And it looked good. Seriously the bandits get to be more fashion forward than PC.

There needs to be overall more diversity in the clothes, I think I can only think of two pants for light female, the rest are dresses and skirts.

A good number of ladies clothes is them bearing midriffs and boobs around, why can’t there be equally skimpy clothes for men as well?

And the trenchcoats, why do we keep getting trenchcoats for medium? We have thieves, engineers, and rangers – why can’t we have styles that cater to archetypes of all of these ? I think there’s two really ‘roguish’ type of clothes, one of which is strictly for Human T3 cultural, and I’m not a fan of the underboob (just my opinion).

Why does heavy armour always get to look super epic but not anything else? Well… I guess more like, why did we get the shiny/fiery achievement rewards that look like heavy armour?!

[/rant off]

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Why does all the heavy armour helmets have to suck so much. Could we just this once get something along the lines of a mask like the light armour’s acolyte? Or even just wearing the water respirator on land would satisfy me.

Attachments:

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Why does all the heavy armour helmets have to suck so much. Could we just this once get something along the lines of a mask like the light armour’s acolyte? Or even just wearing the water respirator on land would satisfy me.

I don’t know. Maybe you can have light armor quality headwear when light armor gets heavy-quality everything else.

New Armor Preview!

Grimwolf.7163

I swear to god, if this goes the way of the Aetherblade weapons and we don’t actually get that armor, I’m’a STAB somebody!
o_O

…The light armor is awful on guys though.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Can’t please everyone. I think they all look pretty good on both genders, the style may not be to everyone’s specific taste but that doesn’t automatically make them awful or ugly.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

So when are we getting the new skins? I hope they will be in the cash shop for a set amount of gems, not RNG boxes or 19 999 achievement points.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

So when are we getting the new skins? I hope they will be in the cash shop for a set amount of gems, not RNG boxes or 19 999 achievement points.

i don’t think they’re stupid enough to put something as big in an rng box. This is a whole armor set, not just some generic shoulder pads with skulls on them…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

i don’t think they’re stupid enough

Oh man!

New Armor Preview!

Nuka Cola.8520

i don’t think they’re stupid enough

Oh man!

and i may agree some

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Red Jay.2516

Red Jay.2516

Oh great… more trench coats.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

Especially male medium and light armor are the same old and – imo – bad scheme and completely without inspiration.

Whoever designs that stuff, PLEASE at least watch some movies like Bravehart or something similar to even get a slight idea for different looks.

I´ve already posted this in another thread but many of these skins which are already some years old look a ton more inspired, detailed and all:

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Braham’s helm on Asura = WININNG

I have a request for Anet, though… if you use the heavy helm on an asura, change the animation for any charging attack so you do it head first, or at least add a headbutt attack animation..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

Those armors are horrible… IMO..

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I love all three sets (a first for me), but I’ve only previewed it on a female character so far.

So, the light set is Kasmeer’s armour, the heavy set is Braham’s, and the medium one could have been Rox’ if her armour had been anything equally special.

I am now totally intrigued by the “magitech” – do you think it is only a random word/style used as a filler so there would be a medium set to release along with the other two, or will we get magitech content? Because I want magitech content.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I love all three sets (a first for me), but I’ve only previewed it on a female character so far.

So, the light set is Kasmeer’s armour, the heavy set is Braham’s, and the medium one could have been Rox’ if her armour had been anything equally special.

I am now totally intrigued by the “magitech” – do you think it is only a random word/style used as a filler so there would be a medium set to release along with the other two, or will we get magitech content? Because I want magitech content.

Isn’t magitech (as in, combination of magical and technology) what the Asura is all about?… they’re even listed on the “magitek” entry on TVtropes:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Magitek

WARNING: The above is a TVtropes link, do NOT go in there unless you want to end up clicking on link after link for hours

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

OMFG those looks awesome! i want :$

New Armor Preview!

Shanna.4762

I am curious what the Magitech one is from, because the other two are novelty based off characters in the game…Magitech is either from a character we haven’t met yet or just made up because they don’t have a medium armor to share yet.

Whatever the case, these cannot come fast enough XD

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Edenwolf.6328

Edenwolf.6328

Man, GW2 really dissapoints with their armor designs.

The only well designed armor is the t3 cultural in my opinion.

Alistat the White-Guardian, Edenwolf-Thief, Grimtech Jones-Necro Borlis Pass

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

In which armor type (light, med, heavy)? For which race?

Either way, I think you’re on crack. There are several armors, across all 3 tiers that I personally love. I’m always game for more variety, but I think you’re not giving them enough of a chance if you’re that narrow.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

There’s a lot of personal opinion floating around, but we need to get some hard fact down on the table here.

Light armor on males; it has the same shape as the Armageddon and Exalted armors, with a textured look similar to the Priory’s light armor.

Medium armor on males; another trench coat, which this time makes you look like a cyborg made of cheap metal since the metal on the coat has such a faded texture.

Heavy armor on both males and females; is medium armor. A new Norn cultural-like medium armor.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Edenwolf.6328

Edenwolf.6328

Either way, I think you’re on crack. There are several armors, across all 3 tiers that I personally love. I’m always game for more variety, but I think you’re not giving them enough of a chance if you’re that narrow.

Most of the t3 cultural for all races and types I like, besides that, there is only about 1 set I like per armor type.

Out of all the mmos I have played (warhammer online, aion, rift, tera, swtor) GW2 has some of the worst designs. GW2 just doesn’t have a lot of cool factor, a lot of designs are thick puffy dresses, trench coats and lady gaga/clown/jester masks and attire.

Alistat the White-Guardian, Edenwolf-Thief, Grimtech Jones-Necro Borlis Pass

(edited by Edenwolf.6328)

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Levitas.1953

Levitas.1953

I really cant like light version for male. Human t3 seems better under every aspect (at least for my tastes).
On the other side, the female version has gorgeous shoulders and gloves. Legguards are also nice and since i recently changed my mesmer from female to male, im a bit disappointed.

More love to light male versions!

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Most of the t3 cultural for all races and types I like, besides that, there is only about 1 set I like per armor type.

Out of all the mmos I have played (warhammer online, aion, rift, tera, swtor) GW2 has some of the worst designs. GW2 just doesn’t have a lot of cool factor, a lot of designs are thick puffy dresses, trench coats and lady gaga/clown/jester masks and attire.

Anet gave people what they asked for. People wanted more ‘ele’ and ‘mesmer’ style armor (poofy skirts and/or skimpy) and more trench coats for rangers. A lot of masks are very mesmer-esk of gw1, and the bands / jewel type are ele-esk.

Still several pieces can be mix and matched quite nicely…at least for females. I don’t play male chars (not male irl, no desire to play one in a game. Besides, my chars have such nice….legs) so I can’t really discuss male armor.

I do agree that we could use some more variety in the armor. Short skirts for light, straight pants for all, etc etc. Since we launched with 30+ armors per tier, I’m sure over time we’ll get more. Ascended isn’t here yet, and we’ve no idea what it’s skin will be. They’ve given us, what 2 per tier?, in the gem store, even if the aetherblade was only temp. We’ll see more, just have to have patience.

Edit: And cool is ‘subjective’ I hated 95% of Tera’s armor for example.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Kiriwar.7382

Kiriwar.7382

Edit: And cool is ‘subjective’ I hated 95% of Tera’s armor for example.

Personal rant: The disparity between male and female armour is god-awful and the juvenile wish-fulfillment dream of every sweaty nerd in his basement. Males look like total bad-kittens, and then… the dreaded iron bikini for females. Literally.

http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/25846-1-1356783952.jpg

Keep on trucking, Bluehole Studio.

…Why did you have to bring this up, previous poster. I could rage about this for days.

Like swords, sorcery and misfortune?
Read Wingless, a fantasy comic about a knight’s journey, here!

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Let me take a guess. GEM STORE 800gems.

Better than

RNG CHEST,120 gems, 0.00000001% drop rate

yes, but what about adding it to the game and no gems involved? You know, how it used to be in gw1? Why is it that every time an armor is added its automatically has to do something with gems? wtf

Free game makes money how? That’s right, you wouldn’t have any new content without those gems.

New Armor Preview!

Grimwolf.7163

GW1 was an abomination as far as armor design, so this is all still miles better.
Take Assassins for example. There was not a speck of variety, and EVERY SINGLE SET was full on S&M; skin tight leather with buckles and blades everywhere. And not blades as in like daggers stashed everywhere which would be awesome, but blades as in just metal spikes poking out everywhere. Like a porcupine.

Then there’s WoW, where armor is literally just painted onto the skin.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

Mothafukin’ trenchcoats!

GOD kitten IT ANET! We just want regular chest piece and pants for the thief class (male) for once!
ENOUGH WITH THE TRENCHCOATS ALREADY

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

The difference between the male light and the female light armor is very frustrating. Why can’t bros have armor that is also elegant and looks like it fits together?

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

New Armor Preview!

Nuka Cola.8520

Better than

yes, but what about adding it to the game and no gems involved? You know, how it used to be in gw1? Why is it that every time an armor is added its automatically has to do something with gems? wtf

Free game makes money how? That’s right, you wouldn’t have any new content without those gems.

Hmmmm lets see, it sold over 3 million, it already has BUNCH of gem store items and no a single new armor was added since the game came out that isn’t on a gem store again. Even if they had no gem store, the 3 mil games sold alone made them a tones of money for new content but nope, gem store is in the game, has a tone of overpriced things in it and they’re making boatload of money over their 3million initial sales.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

There’s two things that I don’t like about the new armours:

• The male phoenix armour looks nothing like the female phoenix armour – why do they even share the name?
  • Female Asura are using the human male phoenix set (???!!! according to the screenshots I’ve seen aynway) – is that really necessary?

So Kasmeer’s armour was added into the game, but only for human female characters (and by extension, Sylvari and Norn women).

Or maybe they’d designed a light armour set already and then tried to squeeze Kasmeer’s armour into the existing set when everybody saw Kasmeer in her armour and started screaming “shut up and take my money”.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Better than

Hmmmm lets see, it sold over 3 million, it already has BUNCH of gem store items and no a single new armor was added since the game came out that isn’t on a gem store again. Even if they had no gem store, the 3 mil games sold alone made them a tones of money for new content but nope, gem store is in the game, has a tone of overpriced things in it and they’re making boatload of money over their 3million initial sales.

Which allows them to hire more staff and pump out free content at a faster and more steady rate than any online game in history has ever managed to do. Those bi-weekly updates you’re benefitting from? Joe Blow over there funded those with his purchase of a Krytan medium armor skin and name changer.

Seriously, stop complaining about the gem store. Not one item in there is required to play the game, enjoy it, and compete on the same level as everyone else. They aren’t selling you power. They’re selling you cosmetics and convenience, both of which are perfectly acceptable. And to top it off, you can trade gold for gems, allowing you to obtain any item in the gem store without spending a single cent on gems. That’s WAY more generous than most cash shops, including the one in Guild Wars 1.

Oh, and box purchase only models are not self-sustainable over the long-term. Guild Wars 1 (which was hugely successful) provides plenty of evidence towards this fact.

New Armor Preview!

Shanna.4762

Better than

They need to continue to build profit as an ongoing thing, box sales are great and all but eventually sales decline for any game, and/or the shelf life diminishes so they become cheaper and thus not making as much money for the company. The gem store has lot’s of items in it but nothing really makes money like armor skins in ANY game with a shop. You don’t have to pay real life money to attain these things, you can build up your in-game gold and transfer them to gems. I know the ratio sucks, but again they have to make money and personally I have no real problem at all with shelling 10 dollars out for an armor skin I want, in fact I prefer it because now I don’t have to be mixed & matched for weeks or months to complete a look. Nobody likes that, so it’s nice to get it all there and work on the rest after you’ve got the look.

They will eventually add skins that are attained in-game only, just not yet. I’m pretty sure the ascended armor will be in-game only and have a unique skin to match the weapons. I’m sure there will be new stand alone dungeons that will have new skins tied to them as well one day…But if you want the game to continue to grow & prosper so that we get new content, new armor and weapon skins, etc then I don’t understand why you would complain about this. I could see it if they also charged a monthly fee, but they don’t and these skins are not armor with stats, they are just skins that can be applied to any armor of any value or level. Seriously, though. It’s 10 dollars. 10. So they’re not even over priced, in fact most games charge 15 dollars for armor set skins from their in-game shops.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

They are now available to buy for 800 gems each!

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I know and I love them!
Honestly I think both these and the Aetherblade armors are amazing.
My only problem is that I can’t afford the 3200 gems I would need to buy the sets I want right at this moment.

one at a time, one at a time. but get them I will!

Gunnar’s Hold

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I know and I love them!
My only problem is that I can’t afford the 3200 gems I would need to buy the sets I want right at this moment.

I agree, both the Aetherblade and the new armors look great, but unfortunately not on all races but oh well I can live with that.

Btw since I’ve never bought gem store armor before, do you need to buy it separately for each character?

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I know and I love them!

I agree, both the Aetherblade and the new armors look great, but unfortunately not on all races but oh well I can live with that.

Btw since I’ve never bought gem store armor before, do you need to buy it separately for each character?

not sure -I was hoping to buy a light and a medium set of each and then spread the various parts around my characters

Gunnar’s Hold

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

When you buy and open them they are account bound. Each part of it will be used separately. That way one can decide which part to which character goes.

And it is a one time use only. That means if you have several medium armor characters and you want to have them all in this armor, you have to buy them for each character. (Unless you share parts of it as described above)

(edited by Navi.7142)

New Armor Preview!

Nuka Cola.8520

meh looks pretty good, guess its worth 800gems

Attachments:

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

Guess this is what gw2 future will look like. Gem store armors and temporary content with more gem store items. :/

New Armor Preview!

Nuka Cola.8520

Guess this is what gw2 future will look like. Gem store armors and temporary content with more gem store items. :/

You just wait until they start charging gems for gameplay.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

You just wait until they start charging gems for gameplay.

Honestly, they could go that way with an excuse that you can buy gems with gold. Somewhat similar to EVE online.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Khorrax.2108

Khorrax.2108

If only they bothered to offer account purchases and specific armour pieces purchases for the store armours, then it wouldn’t be so bad.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

The light armor looks so utterly boring on males. It’s just another generic robe.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: VictorTroska.3725

VictorTroska.3725

Armors look great indeed but still I dislike that if you are light armor wearer you look like pram queen… who ventures to winderness in pram queen dress… (sighs). Also, like most pointed out already… medium armor… yeah (rolls eyes). I like heavy armor quite a lot though because I play Norn so it fits them quite nicely.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Silver.3284

Silver.3284

What I don’t get is why it is so difficult to have bare legs. Why does there need to be lingerie or some other form of usually irrelevant cover on legs? Bellies are out, upper legs are out, bums are out, even under breasts are out. Legs, cannot. Phoenix armour would be lovely if not for the lingerie. Now it looks like Moulin Rouge.

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

The male light armor for elementalists in GW1 was mostly poor, but there was some good stuff in there.

Vabbi, which has a mystical/ exotic wizard look:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/b/b2/Elementalist_Vabbian_armor_m.jpg
And the much superior hero’s version:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/6/61/Acolyte_Sousuke_Primeval_armor.jpg
Ancient, which makes them look like scholars:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/a/a0/Elementalist_Ancient_armor_m.jpg
Norn, which gives them a lordly vibe without being busy with unnecessary shinies:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/4/42/Elementalist_Norn_armor_m.jpg
Obsidian, because it looks cool and intimidating:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/5/5d/Elementalist_Obsidian_armor_m.jpg

And then we had Mesmer’s armor, which was godly even for males.

Enchanter:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/2/2a/Mesmer_Elite_Enchanter_armor_m.jpg
Vabbi (weird, but not bad):
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/d/d3/Mesmer_Vabbian_armor_m.jpg
Norn, which makes them look like lords:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/e/e9/Mesmer_Norn_armor_m.jpg
Monument, for an elegant pirate look:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/4/4d/Mesmer_Monument_armor_m.jpg

In comparison, most male light armor in GW2 look really bad. They range from bland cleric clothes to busy, overloaded-with-details-and-straps lady gaga fashion freaks (no offense to those who like that).

We have a “mesmer” look with, say, ascalon catacombs armor, but it looks really bland and underwhelming compared to GW1’s mesmer armor. Or the temple’s armor, which isn’t that bad if you don’t mind being filled with shinies like a christmas tree.

If we look at the concept art, Anet’s artists have actually drawn some really interesting male light armor for GW2. But for some reason, unlike, say, heavy male armor, those looks didn’t translate well to the game’s engine, and look underwhelming and clown-ish in the game.

We have a “surreal” look with twilight arbor’s look, which looks evil, majestic and beautiful in the artwork (with a mask), but somehow translated really poorly to the in-game engine, and the mask was completely removed.

Just compare the mess we’ve got in-game:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/0/07/Twilight_Arbor_armor_light_human_male_front.jpg
To the concept art:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/7/78/Light_armor_05_concept_art.jpg

The “helm”, the mask and the mantle leaves makes for a more impressive look in the concept art. The in-game version we got doesn’t looks half as good.

Same can be said for this “mystical”/ “ancient” look:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/7/7f/Light_armor_03_concept_art.jpg
Which in-game doesn’t looks half as impressive:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/c2/Winged_armor_human_male_front.jpg

Look at how “cool” the hood is in the concept art, versus how lame it is in-game. Look at how ancient and mystical the golden plates look in the concept art, versus how plastic-looking and plain terrible they are in-game.

People criticize about the over-abudance of CoF armor, and its “childish” appeal to the evil/ flaming/ Sauron lovers, but at least male’s cof light armor does its job well. It knows how to use its details to look stylish, unlike most other pieces whose details only make their set worse.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

New Armor Preview!

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Also I would have gotten the new heavy legs but since they’re exposed I don’t even want them now. They look awesome too. : (

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.