New Dailies

New Dailies

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

How it is now..

1. Kill X amount of Y
2. Kill X amount of Y in a different way
3. Craft/collect/gather X amount of Y in 5 different ways!

= repetetive, grindy, no fun at all.

How it should be:

1. Kill the <insert name> champion at location X
2. Complete the dynamic event <insert name> at location Y
3. Complete explorable path X in dungeon Y
4. Finish jumping puzzle X

= forces players to group up and travel to certain areas. I’m already seeing people LFM Daily! to finish all the dailies at once with 1 group you formed in LA.

Too bad if you can’t finish a jumping puzzle because it’s too hard, maybe tomorrow there is a different daily without a JP or keep practicing. I don’t mind if its a bit more challeging, or i can’t complete a daily, tomorrow there is a new daily to try it again!

I love these ideas, but be ready for the kittenstorm that happens should they implement this.

I mean, there are people whining about 10 seconds of crafting for kittenssake. Imagine the whining that would occur when people actually had to put effort in. shudders

disclaimer: no kittens were hurt while writing this post

New Dailies

Posted by: Jake.1842

Jake.1842

I agree, what is with this kitten about dailies having us play through different parts of the game. I don’t want to kill things! I like to sit in Lion’s Arch all day and play the TP. Why isn’t there a daily for listing 50 items!?

How dare you make a completely optional part of the game require me to do things that I don’t like to do!

Faelinor | Sanctum of Rall

New Dailies

Posted by: Dastor.3546

Dastor.3546

@ProxyDamage: the dailies are just as generic and boring as before. I don’t get how you’re so easily fooled, but:

-revive 15 allies < BORING
-kill 5 veterans < same as killing 60 mobs, boring!
-kill 13 different kinds of creatures < wow, 2 less than usual? BORING!
-gather 20 things < they didn’t even bother to change this one
-craft 10 useless items < sure, it’s quick, but still: BORING!
-kill 25 underwater creatures < OMGSOF’INGBORING! I hate underwater combat in this game
-complete 5 events, every day < well, I kinda like it, but because it’s just the same as pre-patch: BORING!

These are not the dailies we were promised!

I really love Xephen.3217’s idea, complete a variety of awesome things. And they don’t even have to be so specific (in case of the champion). But killing a certain boss in a certain dungeon is a good daily. Completing a certain Jumping Puzzle is awesome – imagine the masses jumping and falling through that JP, the thought makes me smile! Completing a specific event might be a little hard with respawn times etc. But if done well, we could be in for 1 massive event, which is what I love about this game.

(edited by Dastor.3546)

New Dailies

Posted by: DestroyerElf.5372

DestroyerElf.5372

I agree, what is with this kitten about dailies having us play through different parts of the game. I don’t want to kill things! I like to sit in Lion’s Arch all day and play the TP. Why isn’t there a daily for listing 50 items!?

How dare you make a completely optional part of the game require me to do things that I don’t like to do!

This. Why should i kill mobs/veterans or gather mats in a tradingpost based game?

New Dailies

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

@ProxyDamage: the dailies are just as generic and boring as before.

Oh are they? How exactly are the new task “as generic and boring” as repeating the exact 4 kittening tasks every single day? Saying you don’t like the new ones is an opinion. Saying they’re equally generic and boring to the old ones is simply factually and demonstrably wrong.

I don’t get how you’re so easily fooled, but:

-revive 15 allies < BORING
-kill 5 veterans < same as killing 60 mobs, boring!
-kill 13 different kinds of creatures < wow, 2 less than usual? BORING!
-gather 20 things < they didn’t even bother to change this one
-craft 10 useless items < sure, it’s quick, but still: BORING!
-kill 25 underwater creatures < OMGSOF’INGBORING! I hate underwater combat in this game
-complete 5 events, every day < well, I kinda like it, but because it’s just the same as pre-patch: BORING!

These are not the dailies we were promised!

As opposed to doing the same 4 kittening tasks every single day? Was that somehow better and more enjoyable for you? Was it better when they only rewarded Karma, and Karma was a kittening useless currency? Did they also issue a statement saying “Welp, that’s it! That’s all we’re doing with daily quests!”? I must have missed it.

Get off your kitten people.

New Dailies

Posted by: Xephens.3217

Xephens.3217

This. Why should i kill mobs/veterans or gather mats in a tradingpost based game?

It’s not possible to pleasure everybody with just dailies. The only way i guess is to give every aspect of the game his own dailies with his own rewards.

Daily PvE → aurels
Daily PvP → glory
Daily WvW → badges
Daily Trading Post → TP Buffs
Daily Crafting → T6 Mats.

etc.

This way everyone can play the game like he wants to play it and still get his daily rewards without having to alter is playstyle.

Everybody happy!

New Dailies

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

I thought the daily would be selective (complete 3 objectives out of 5 or similar) to get the reward. What happened to that?

This system for picking from a list for dailies, along with rotating in new more specific achievements will be added in a later release to build on the system going forward. As discussed in the Gw2 in 2013 blog post this is really just the ground work for the systems coming down the road.

That’s a poor way to do things in a live game. Put down ground work. That means what you are doing is incomplete and that means its not working as intended. It’s better to do things at once properly than in bits. You are being cautious maybe but you just upset the game anyway this way.

It is time you had a public test server so you can go mad on it, iron out bugs better and implement things fully and properly for the live servers. Yes there will still be mistakes but you may get a big win as well. Right now it seems implementing everything in the live game cautiously, incomplete, is not working well at all.

Also can you guys be more thoughtful for the whole of the worlds players. I’m in the UK and the update was very late on. It was slow and I have to restart it because it near grinds to a halt giving me only a few hours. I want to do my dailies but I struggle with the combo killer one working along side a guildy but I get it done. I get them all done but crafting. I got disconnected 5 times by this point, rolling back too at times. I had 5 dailies completed but no reward so I needed my crafting with 5 minutes to go to midnight and I have to buy the ingredients and then I disconnect again.

Why not make the first daily really simple if you are going to implement it so late in some countries. You must know by now updates always have issues anyway that can set people back or maybe not even let them play. You guys really need to think about the geography of your players base when implementing updates.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

(edited by joneb.5679)

New Dailies

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

‘Daily Crafter’? Really? I got Master Crafter about 2 months ago – I haven’t crafted a single thing since then. Now I need to craft 10 items every day for the daily achievement? Please. I used to enjoy my dailies, now it’s pointless even logging on anymore. Guys, you really need to do a bit of homework before just making masses of blanket changes. Pandas look sexier each day…

No. You don’t have to craft 10 items every day. I didn’t have to craft anything yesterday.

I presume you also never did the earlier dailies as you had to gather? (why gather if you don’t want to use it?) Oh, you sold those items? Then what’s stopping you from crafting some planks from logs or ingots from ore before selling? Or even make some foodstuff you can use yourself?

New Dailies

Posted by: Terra Dactyl.2047

Terra Dactyl.2047

‘Daily Crafter’? Really? I got Master Crafter about 2 months ago – I haven’t crafted a single thing since then. Now I need to craft 10 items every day for the daily achievement? Please. I used to enjoy my dailies, now it’s pointless even logging on anymore. Guys, you really need to do a bit of homework before just making masses of blanket changes. Pandas look sexier each day…

No. You don’t have to craft 10 items every day. I didn’t have to craft anything yesterday.

I presume you also never did the earlier dailies as you had to gather? (why gather if you don’t want to use it?) Oh, you sold those items? Then what’s stopping you from crafting some planks from logs or ingots from ore before selling? Or even make some foodstuff you can use yourself?

That’s no fun, how can he whine on the forums if he uses his brain like that? Come on man, you’ve gotta think!

If everyone spent 10 minutes in game completing the daily instead of typing up a whiny post about how long the new achievements take and how boring and grindy and repetitive they are (when the old ones were worse with the possible exception of the resurrection count one) then this thread would be like 2 pages long.

New Dailies

Posted by: Selebrity.7469

Selebrity.7469

I couldnt complete it in 10 mins which is fine btw, however some parts ended up counterproductive bc the result was that I was annoyed with other player for the first time. Also other players were the reason the daily took so long to finish.

I started in orr bc Im one of the very few players who actually need karma and am always out of karma. So I try to squeeze in some orr events every session. Naturally I try to do as much as I can on the daily while running in orr.

Dodger: i have lag, so dodging update is a lottery, fine. I think im alone in an area, i have an easy dodge mob to work on. Several heros pop up from nowhere and " help" me….so it took longer than necessary.

Healer: this was most frustrating. In events everyone was rezzing like crazy, and i managed to tap in on some but no update. So finally I went to queensdale (remembering a tip about it) looking for npc:s. Qd was “packed” with people, many heroes that saved npc:s from death. I managed to get 5 rezzes back to back on 2 npc:s that were being ganked by wolves before a hero came and rescued them…grrr. So it took some time to get those heal updates.

Just saying, the new daily took longer bc of other players lol.

New Dailies

Posted by: Varielle.9074

Varielle.9074

I found the new dailies to be utter annoyance. The previous dailies were fine as it is. I will group when I want to, please do not ever FORCE me to do so when I don’t have to.

New Dailies

Posted by: Knox.3748

Knox.3748

lol

yes the previous was good and not repetitive at all. ehehehh

Nobody forces you to do dailies. And nobody forces you to play at all. This topic is an epic whine fest

New Dailies

Posted by: TheAgedGnome.7520

TheAgedGnome.7520

I like the new dailies. A little variety, goes pretty quick, and not hard (at least for an 80).

Just don’t ever put a jumping puzzle in the dailies – I hate those with a ragequit passion!

Stealth nerfs are the perfect fertilizer for mistrust.
PVE Power and Support Build

New Dailies

Posted by: DownPour.5903

DownPour.5903

I think everyone who is complaining is mostly overreacting…
Look, combo kills was bad and it got removed..
Besides, whats most important is that there is only one tier, you barely don’t need anything.

- Underwater, just go to low level zone OR just kill those white mobs with one hit.
- Crafting, requires pretty much nothing. Just create 10 copper ingots or something alike. You’re not wasting anything and it’s easy.
- Reviving. Once again, contested waypoints or low level zones usually have many npcs dying a lot.
- Dodging. It’s easy.

Dailies before took much longer time than the new ones in my opinion. The most annoying thing with the dailies is the Event one, and it doesn’t seem like its going away any time soon.

And then again, like many people said, no one is forcing you. If you play WvW you can easily get these too. PvP got their own one. And someone mentioned TP, but in all honesty, why would you care for the items you can buy if all you do is being on the TP all day?

New dailies are easy and pretty much the same as before, you just haven’t realized it yet.

Oh and well, if you go to a fractal or dungeon. Most of these are completed in no time.

Desolation

New Dailies

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Getting the ascended amulets on all my alts is gonna take months , I guess I just have to focus on getting it on the main chars first.. but it kinda sucks as it discourages me from wanting to play less geared alts. Would be nice to see these amulets offered as a fractals token reward also, got a ton of those lying around with no use :P

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

New Dailies

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

How it should be:

I agree except for the explorable path thing. It takes too long in many cases. Especially if the team is not familiar with the dungeon. Not everyone has time to spend multiple hours online.

I used to be able to do the daily in 30 mins or so and then I could focus on things I enjoy doing. Forcing people to do an explorable path would consume more time than some people can dedicate to the game. Not to mention to some it’s likely to be spent on something that they do not enjoy.

Unfortunately dailies play even more important part now that they added more rewards to it. There’s a reason why people complain about the time it takes to complete them. This belongs to same category as waypoint costs. For someone who grinds dungeons or farms or even just plays multiples hours 4s is nothing. For someone who logs on for an hour or two at most and completes maybe a few events or personal story steps it probably ends costing as much as they earn from whatever they are doing.

GW2 has always been marketed as casual friendly game. They should take steps to ensure it remains casual friendly. The point of daily rewards was originally to even the playground between those who log on for just an hour and those who spend 8 hours online. It was expected that people would get the reward by doing normal stuff which is to say events and defeating foes.

New Dailies

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

Veterans in one easy spawn: Clear Goff’s Bandit Cave, Gap Waypoint, Kessex Hills.

There is also a chest. And for me at least, I was thrilled that my drops from the chest were great last night.

Also, butter. (from the bags the bandits dropped)

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

New Dailies

Nalora.7964

Healing (raising the dead) In one easy spawn: Triskell Quay, in Kessex Hills, near Overlake Haven waypoint. The fishermen here are always dying, it is part of the renown heart. You can raise 10 people in less than 5 minutes.

New Dailies

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Another easy way to get the Veterans one is in WvW. Flip a couple camps and you’re done. Veterans galore.

#TeamJadeQuarry

New Dailies

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

daily crafter is really annoying me. i don’t craft on any characters and i don’t enjoy spending money on the materials needed to craft.

i ended up making piles of salt and pepper and i disliked it immensely. everyone needs to kill enemies and dodge and all that, but not everyone crafts and not everyone wants to.

i would love to see crafting removed so i never have to do it again.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

New Dailies

Nalora.7964

Oh, and just FYI, in case people are not aware, The little orange bar above your health (I think it is endurance) that “fills” for you to dodge? You can actually click that with your mouse to dodge, you do not need to double tap any movement key, just mouse click and dodge away!

New Dailies

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

daily crafter is really annoying me. i don’t craft on any characters and i don’t enjoy spending money on the materials needed to craft.

i ended up making piles of salt and pepper and i disliked it immensely. everyone needs to kill enemies and dodge and all that, but not everyone crafts and not everyone wants to.

As I said above:

You need to gather as well. Gather logs or ore (T1 stuff). Turn them into ingots and planks. Done. No money required. And crafting isn’t there all days either.

New Dailies

Nalora.7964

You can send me your salt and pepper. I will send you some soup.

New Dailies

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

everyone needs to kill enemies and dodge and all that,

Actually no, they don’t.

You can get to level 80 without killing anything, and you can make money by playing the market/crafting. Hell, iirc the first lvl 80 in the game got there mostly through crafting.

So, no, every part of the game is just as valid.

New Dailies

Posted by: Xephens.3217

Xephens.3217

How it should be:

I agree except for the explorable path thing. It takes too long in many cases. Especially if the team is not familiar with the dungeon. Not everyone has time to spend multiple hours online.

I used to be able to do the daily in 30 mins or so and then I could focus on things I enjoy doing. Forcing people to do an explorable path would consume more time than some people can dedicate to the game. Not to mention to some it’s likely to be spent on something that they do not enjoy.

I agree with the fact it could consume too much time if you put 4 objectives in a daily. Why can’t a daily be just one objective like clearing a dungeon, event or a JP?
Dailies should be an activity you could be doing, not something you should be doing.

Reach the highest point in Kessex Hills could be a daily objective if you ask me.

And don’t forget about the monthly achievement.. 30 jumping puzzles? This is how everyone completed that one.

Where is the JP in <…> google, port to closest waypoint, enterted the JP area and checked if it counted towards the monthly. Yep it did, repeat.

Complete 5 jumping puzzles would have been much better.

New Dailies

Posted by: Shalaine Calenos.9748

Shalaine Calenos.9748

What I find the most annoying is trying to deliberately to get dodging. I sometimes use it but this is forcing me to try and get those and it is really more time consuming and much less fun. I end up leaving those to last since it is so hard for me. I want to kill something my way not be so structured.

I have no issue with crafting. That is easy.

Killing 5 Veterans is fine…it stretches the area you have to go to.

I agree that the combo kills will be much harder, I haven’t encountered that as a requirement yet.

New Dailies

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

I farm the doging vs a single Grall archer so I can then ignore it.
I hang around the dumb NPC’s to revive them when they die to the mobs.
I skip days where it requires combo-field kills or other things that will just be annoying to get.

Honestly all I do with GW2 is hop in, do my daily, quit, go play something else. I’m just leveling every class to their Elite skill then I’ll go back and daily to 80 with a “main” or something.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

New Dailies

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I’d like dailies to be non-specific and completed by doing whatever it is you do normally. So if you like doing DE’s you get points for doing events. If you gather a lot, you get points for that. Then once you reach a certain amount of points in 3-4 different areas you complete your daily.

Here are two examples to demonstrate what I mean:

Player 1 – Likes combat and kills lots of different mobs, he gathers materials as he goes from event to event. After a couple of hours he racks up enough points in events, kills, kill types and gathering to get his daily.

Player 2 – Likes exploring and doing jumping puzzles, he also likes crafting and when doing events takes on a more supportive role. After a couple of hours he gets enough points by discovering a few jumping puzzles, reviving allies, applying buffs and crafting that he gets his daily.

Neither player is forced to do things they might not like and both players can do their dailies while they play the game how they normally play it.

I am all for variety in dailies, but do not feel people should be encouraged to do things they might not like. Players will find ways to enjoy games in their own way. Encouraging players to do other things may introduce them to other aspects of the game they were not aware of, and they may enjoy them, but the majority of players will be moved out of their comfort zone and they will not enjoy it. Another problem with this kind of system is people will find quick easy ways to do them (dodging the same easy mob until you complete the dodger achievement, for example), which often doesn’t achieve what it is supposed to (encourage people to dodge more in combat), as they will revert back to their normal playstyle once the achievement has been completed. If achievements were gained by simply doing what we liked, we could just get on with enjoying the game naturally (getting rewarded for it in the process) and not have that enjoyment interrupted by things we don’t want to do (but feel we have to because we don’t want to miss out on the reward).

Another thing I am not that keen on with the new system is the UI change. I like the format, but am not keen that it is always on your screen. Because the old system needed you to open a panel and change a tab to see it, I often completed my daily without realising it until the chest appeared, and this was always a nice surprise. With the new system being on view all the time, I almost feel obliged to complete it before anything else, which takes the fun out of it a little for me and removes the surprise rewards element. I want to do things because I enjoy them, not because I have to do them (to get a reward).

I am looking forward to the selective achievements system they talked about, as I am not that keen on the current (new) system. But I would much rather have a system that rewards us for playing the game our way. Playing the game our way is a key aspect of GW2, that Anet keeps bringing to our attention (which for the most part it lives up to, for me at least), but they keep adding incentives to play the game their way and this disappoints me a little sometimes.

IMO, they should remove the new UI achievement tracker and allow players to complete their daily by playing the game normally (our way).

On a more positive note, it is nice to see them adding new ways to gain achievements, and I like some of the new additions. It just needs to be more flexible and selective. Roll on the next update to this system.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

(edited by Rin.1046)

New Dailies

Posted by: Medron Pryde.6850

Medron Pryde.6850

Rin’s got some good points. I endorse them fully.

New Dailies

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

So far, they have not been too bad.
Veterans are very easy. I did them solo on my level 20 in only a few minutes.
Crafting, absolutly the easiest, but really just a waste of time.
Gathering, well I would be gathering anyway, so thats a good one.
Rez? easy. There a lots of NPCs who are almost always down if you look.
The dodging I could do without. I did 99% of what I needed to do in the Charr starting area, just like I have been doing all along. The only differance now is instead of getting the dailies from just “playing the game”, now it is a seperate chore that has to be performed taking away from “just playing the game”. Once they implement the rest of it where you can pick and choose what to do, it should be MUCH better. I really can’t believe they would even release the update without having that working. What happened to “we will release it when it’s finished, not before”?
JPs and dungeons in the dailies? Absolutly NOT! Worst idea I have heard in a long time. The dailies where meant to be something you would get just for pretty much logging in to the game. It was to encourage players to play every day. You want to turn them in to something that only some players will be able to do, and would require you to join up with a group? Yeah, a sure fire way to destroy the whole concept.

New Dailies

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

How it should be:

= forces players to group up and travel to certain areas. I’m already seeing people LFM Daily! to finish all the dailies at once with 1 group you formed in LA.

Too bad if you can’t finish a jumping puzzle because it’s too hard, maybe tomorrow there is a different daily without a JP or keep practicing. I don’t mind if its a bit more challeging, or i can’t complete a daily, tomorrow there is a new daily to try it again!

Those might be acceptable for a monthly, but definitely not a daily.

I stand by what I said earlier that anything that cannot be completed solo and within a reasonably short amount of time is fundamentally flawed as a daily, which automatically excludes dungeons.

Sending everyone to do the exact same task in the world is also going to be disastrous. Not all of us play on ghost servers, you know. When you start sending everyone to not only the same zone but the same boss/event in a zone you’re asking for trouble. Lag, overflows, having to repeat the event indefinitely because you can’t get enough contribution to get credit with 50+ other people decimating things, etc. It’ll get to the point where people will have to start guesting on low pop servers to get their daily done, which should be completely unnecessary.

The bigger issue is for half a year dailies have not required groups. Now suddenly because Anet is trying to mix it up those who enjoy grouping are seemingly trying to use it as a catalyst to pressure others into grouping and that’s not right. It’s one thing to make the world seem more populated, it’s another to force people into gameplay they don’t enjoy. Do you really want to be in the group with the person who’s never done the dungeon before, doesn’t want to be there in the first place, and is only going because he feels like he has to for the daily currency? I’m guessing probably not since it won’t be an enjoyable experience for either of you.

I suppose if Anet is looking to deter more people than it already has from doing dailies then, yes, your ideas are fantastic.

New Dailies

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

What was wrong with the combo field daily? I was not grouped up with anyone and just threw down a bunch of fields in a DE and it was done in like 5 mins.

I honestly dont know, why did they remove it?

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

New Dailies

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

What was wrong with the combo field daily? I was not grouped up with anyone and just threw down a bunch of fields in a DE and it was done in like 5 mins.

Because it wasn’t working right, you got lucky. Arenanet even said that it wasn’t working right.

New Dailies

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

Because it wasn’t working right, you got lucky. Arenanet even said that it wasn’t working right.

Oh, ok. Thanks. I havent been on the forums for a couple days and was not aware it was not working right.

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

New Dailies

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

I hate the changed dailies. The original ones weren’t a hassle, something everyone could complete in their own time and at their own pace. Now we’re dealing with things you HAVE to group for. I hate grouping, outside of PVP. I generally quit games that tell me grouping is the only way to go. I want to be in charge of my own time, and I detest standing around waiting for others.

I’m also really upset about finding ‘achievements’ which some of us are physically unable to do (twitch elements are rather hard on the physically handicapped). And I just don’t see the point in making people do things they absolutely loathe.

Can we please just get the old dailies back?

New Dailies

Broom.2561

I’d like dailies to be non-specific and completed by doing whatever it is you do normally. So if you like doing DE’s you get points for doing events. If you gather a lot, you get points for that. Then once you reach a certain amount of points in 3-4 different areas you complete your daily.

Here are two examples to demonstrate what I mean:

Player 1 – Likes combat and kills lots of different mobs, he gathers materials as he goes from event to event. After a couple of hours he racks up enough points in events, kills, kill types and gathering to get his daily.

Player 2 – Likes exploring and doing jumping puzzles, he also likes crafting and when doing events takes on a more supportive role. After a couple of hours he gets enough points by discovering a few jumping puzzles, reviving allies, applying buffs and crafting that he gets his daily.

Neither player is forced to do things they might not like and both players can do their dailies while they play the game how they normally play it.

I am all for variety in dailies, but do not feel people should be encouraged to do things they might not like. Players will find ways to enjoy games in their own way. Encouraging players to do other things may introduce them to other aspects of the game they were not aware of, and they may enjoy them, but the majority of players will be moved out of their comfort zone and they will not enjoy it. Another problem with this kind of system is people will find quick easy ways to do them (dodging the same easy mob until you complete the dodger achievement, for example), which often doesn’t achieve what it is supposed to (encourage people to dodge more in combat), as they will revert back to their normal playstyle once the achievement has been completed. If achievements were gained by simply doing what we liked, we could just get on with enjoying the game naturally (getting rewarded for it in the process) and not have that enjoyment interrupted by things we don’t want to do (but feel we have to because we don’t want to miss out on the reward).

Another thing I am not that keen on with the new system is the UI change. I like the format, but am not keen that it is always on your screen. Because the old system needed you to open a panel and change a tab to see it, I often completed my daily without realising it until the chest appeared, and this was always a nice surprise. With the new system being on view all the time, I almost feel obliged to complete it before anything else, which takes the fun out of it a little for me and removes the surprise rewards element. I want to do things because I enjoy them, not because I have to do them (to get a reward).

I am looking forward to the selective achievements system they talked about, as I am not that keen on the current (new) system. But I would much rather have a system that rewards us for playing the game our way. Playing the game our way is a key aspect of GW2, that Anet keeps bringing to our attention (which for the most part it lives up to, for me at least), but they keep add incentives to play the game their way and this disappoints me a little sometimes.

IMO, they should remove the new UI achievement tracker and allow players to complete their daily by playing the game normally (our way).

On a more positive note, it is nice to see them adding new ways to gain achievements, and I like some of the new additions. It just needs to be more flexible and selective. Roll on the next update to this system.

This. Never, ever force players to do things YOU think are fun, it only makes them stop wanting to play.

Thanks for this solid write-up, Rin.

New Dailies

Posted by: Hee Haw.7164

Hee Haw.7164

My primary problem with the Dodge achievement is what others here have noted. For the first time in Guild Wars 2, we are encouraged to NOT play with other people. As others have noted, the easiest way to get the achievement is to agro a mob, wait for it to attack, and dodge it at the last second to get the little “evade” word up. Of course, mobs can only agro against one person at a time, so the rest of your group has to find something else to agro. And if someone comes through, sees you fighting something, and kills it, suddenly, for the first time in the history of Guild Wars 2, he ISN’T HELPING YOU.

In my experience so far, this isn’t necessarily true.

Yesterday I was leveling a level 45 alt in Harathi Hinterlands. By following the event chain in the NE, I was able to take care of dodging, veterans, and events, all while playing alongside others. I found the quickest way to get my dodges was to wait until I was under fire by more than one enemy, and then dodge. I would almost always get credit for one dodge, sometimes two. In big events like that, it’s easy to find yourself targeted by multiple enemies, so it went by quickly. I didn’t have the healer achievement on my list yesterday, but that would have been a snap during said events as well.

My advice is to use the time you spend doing events to try to get the other requirements at the same time.

New Dailies

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

I hate the changed dailies. The original ones weren’t a hassle, something everyone could complete in their own time and at their own pace. Now we’re dealing with things you HAVE to group for. I hate grouping, outside of PVP. I generally quit games that tell me grouping is the only way to go. I want to be in charge of my own time, and I detest standing around waiting for others.

I’m also really upset about finding ‘achievements’ which some of us are physically unable to do (twitch elements are rather hard on the physically handicapped). And I just don’t see the point in making people do things they absolutely loathe.

Which daily did you have to group for?
I did the dodging one during a dungeon run, but other than that one, I did them all alone. And the dodging one I could have done solo as well.

New Dailies

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

He must be talking about the combo killer.
Though it didn’t need to group and it has been removed.

New Dailies

Posted by: Selebrity.7469

Selebrity.7469

Is there a daily with dungeon task?

New Dailies

VOLKON.1290

Which dailies do you have to group for? If you are talking about combo killer, that one is gone, Arenanet took it out of rotation.

Even combo killer didn’t require a group. I got mine putting up Feedback bubbles or Null Fields around the foe and letting someone else get the killing blow through the field. Worked like a charm.

#TeamJadeQuarry

New Dailies

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Is there a daily with dungeon task?

Nop. I completed the healer and dodging daily while doing a dungeon. I did not do the dungeon because of the dailies either, I was there for the tokens for my armor. I just happened to partially complete my daily on the way

New Dailies

Broom.2561

Which dailies do you have to group for? If you are talking about combo killer, that one is gone, Arenanet took it out of rotation.

Even combo killer didn’t require a group. I got mine putting up Feedback bubbles or Null Fields around the foe and letting someone else get the killing blow through the field. Worked like a charm.

Uhm… so basically you used a two person team, yes? Which means that formal group or no, you did not do it solo.

I didn’t know it has been removed for not working correctly when I posted. But that does not take away the fact that they DID intend to have this for an achievement, and that while some classes may be able to solo this, others cannot. And that many do not even know what a combo is, let alone how to use it. Which makes the whole thing ill-conceived from the start.

New Dailies

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Uhm… so basically you used a two person team, yes? Which means that formal group or no, you did not do it solo. Or spend 5 minutes in an Orr zerg.

And that many do not even know what a combo is, let alone how to use it. Which makes the whole thing ill-conceived from the start.

Play an elementalist and make you own combos if you want to solo it.

And BECAUSE many people didnt know what a combo is, it is actually a very useful daily. It lets people discover there is a more efficient way of playing than they’ve always assumed. It teaches people a tactic they can use, just like the dodging daily.

New Dailies

Posted by: Sorkas.1865

Sorkas.1865

Overall I am happy with new dailies
I typically only have about 2hrs/day to play and I can do dailies plus some story quest
I like that I can now get some nicer items for laurels

I would hate if dailies include jumping puzzles or mandatory dungeon runs
Current mix seems easy overall – including the very simple crafting daily and has been encouraging me to get better at dodging

Tarnished Coast
Direclaw Foerender – Guardian
Moonclaw Emberblast – Engineer

New Dailies

VOLKON.1290

Uhm… so basically you used a two person team, yes? Which means that formal group or no, you did not do it solo.

I didn’t know it has been removed for not working correctly when I posted. But that does not take away the fact that they DID intend to have this for an achievement, and that while some classes may be able to solo this, others cannot. And that many do not even know what a combo is, let alone how to use it. Which makes the whole thing ill-conceived from the start.

It didn’t require a group, but yes other people were involved. Considering the fact that I rarely if ever see events happening solo this should be a non-issue. Event, work the event, others are there, done.

The whole “I wanna solo!” argument to me is borderline ridiculous simply because world design makes it so inviting and simple to work with others, inadvertently or advertently. This isn’t a WoW style game where the open world PvE is best done alone, so if you ‘prefer to solo’ as some say you’re going to have issues regardless of what’s in the daily.

#TeamJadeQuarry

New Dailies

Posted by: Tsubaki.8732

Tsubaki.8732

The new dailies are OK, I like that there is some variety (although the daily combo sucked, but that was because it was buggy and made me waste 15 minutes trying to figure out what I was doing wrong).

I have to agree with several other posters in this thread: dailies should be something you can do on your own while just playing the game the way you normally do, whether that is dungeon runs, casual exploring, running around for an hour from event to event or whatever. Yes, if all a player does is stand in town playing the TP, he won’t be able to complete pretty much ANY daily, but that really is a very rare special case.

But dailies never, ever should require a player to group (as in “complete a dungeon”, I do not consider participating in an event while other players are there, too, to be “grouping”). Dailies are intended to be doable for casual solo players who log on and just kill some mobs and who do not have more time than maybe an hour every day. Introducing more complex dailies would just punish casual players, while others would still be able to do them every day.

New Dailies

Posted by: Duke.9854

Duke.9854

I am really disappointed by the new daily system. I appreciate the will to “help” us getting into the game by gamifying the whole process, but for people like me with job and family, the result is that I will not be able to achieve it: combo kills, for example, sometimes are simply not possible ‘cos when I am playing none is really available and I don’t have time to use looking for partners in the game. Or I just want to relax and solo for a bit.
This new system is instead be a barrier to me: it really took away from me the desire to play, since I will not be able to achieve even a small daily result without putting efforts and time that I don’t have.

Thanks for listening.

New Dailies

VOLKON.1290

I am really disappointed by the new daily system. I appreciate the will to “help” us getting into the game by gamifying the whole process, but for people like me with job and family, the result is that I will not be able to achieve it: combo kills, for example, sometimes are simply not possible ‘cos when I am playing none is really available and I don’t have time to use looking for partners in the game. Or I just want to relax and solo for a bit.
This new system is instead be a barrier to me: it really took away from me the desire to play, since I will not be able to achieve even a small daily result without putting efforts and time that I don’t have.

Thanks for listening.

I guess you missed the part where they removed combos from the rotation, yes?

#TeamJadeQuarry

New Dailies

Posted by: Duke.9854

Duke.9854

Thanks for listening.

I guess you missed the part where they removed combos from the rotation, yes?

Sorry, yes

I will try again today, but I need tobe honest: I kinda hate my routine broken. I was able to do it in 30 min and then make a dungeon, if it will force me to choose either one ore the other… I really could lose intrest in that. But this is just my opinion, I undertand the ones that enjoy the latest the most