Feedback/Questions: The Megaserver System: World Bosses and Events

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

You could have just read the whole blog posts and known this but I’ll post it for you.

Guild World Events

Looking at the schedule, you may already be thinking that these times won’t work out for you and your guild if you want to go after the most difficult hard-core mega bosses, or perhaps you’re wishing for a chance to take on Tequatl more than three times a day. Fortunately for you, we’re introducing a very exciting feature with this change that will allow guilds to activate some of these events at their leisure!

I’ve read and understood the blog. It only says the guilds can activate the “mega boss encounters” it doesn’t say anything about low-level, or standard world events, and thats the concern. The mega bosses are not the issue. The issue is only being able to do a few of the “normal” bosses. On my play schedule I’ll never be able to do Jormag or Golem Mark II, and only Modniir sometimes, not to mention the mega bosses unless activated by a guild.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

I love how after hundreds of posts saying that the players hate this proposed change (let’s be real at this point after the money they have spent on it, it is pretty much a done deal) the devs aren’t responding anymore.

This is a smaller thread than many “reaction” threads.

Some of us are concern about ramifications, but not opposed to the general concept of Megaservers. They are good for some of us, believe it or not. I am also concerned that Megaservers are bad for some.

The gloom-and-doomers exist in every forum on every topic, artificially magnifying their significance.

The game is not dying, or the money people would not expend funds to change and expand the game.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Please just make dungeons “open” all the time. With the LFG system it’s already irksome to manage cross servers, now hiding the status of a place until you go there?

Just keep the dungeons open all the time, the world will not suffer.

Please do the same with waypoints. If someone wants to teleport into a contested area in PvE, let them.

Posted by: FlatCalzone.5682

FlatCalzone.5682

I have not had the opportunity to look through this entire chain of responses, so this point may have already been made. If so, my apologies.

With regards to the world bosses, the scheduling of events on a fixed timer seems like a fundamental and destructive shift to the game. Yes, with the shift to mega-servers, it is impossible to maintain the current staggered system created by separate servers. And yes, “just because it’s different doesn’t mean it’s bad”.

My concern is that this schedule makes the game feel too regimented. Right now, if I log on where I left off last, I may stumble into a pre-event and try to rally some people to finish it and prepare for the boss. Maybe we finish the event and the server flocks in for the boss, maybe we don’t. Either way, I can decide whether or not to participate at that very moment. With this new system, there is no option to push to start world bosses (except the big ones, which were already on timers to begin with and require an organized group). This will create a line of people hopping from one boss to another at a specific time. “We start with X, then Y, then Z, 15 minutes apart.” Do you know what that sounds like to me? A job.

While every MMO has aspects of grinding that can feel like a chore, this change to a boss schedule will put another element more firmly in that category. Rather than saying “oh, hey, FE pre is available, let’s go”, it becomes “FE will start in ten minutes.” It’s a subtle change, but it is there. Maybe the switch will work, but the skeptic in me sees this as being a poor decision.

Posted by: Kenage Achalarus.4276

Kenage Achalarus.4276

Dear Anet
It has come to my understanding that with the up-kitten changes to spawn timers, the addition of Guild Mega boss spawn. TTS will be unable to fight teq at the 10Pm raid. I am a offical leader of TTS and the Host for the 10Pm raid, because of timers changing unfortunately an average of 150 people will be unable to participate and miss-out on the ability to engage in fighting in this mega boss event. The same can be said if we host the Boss event in Main and on Overflow. That totals up to 300 people missing out in the ability to engage in the Epic boss that is Tequatl. This drastic change will effect this raid which is ran everyday except for Tuesday. I ask that you reconsider this drastic change if not then the TTS community as a whole and would appreciate a brief explanation as to why?

TTS is here to help players that want to experience events and raids that they themselves cannot accomplish on their own accord.

Thank you Kenage Achalarus TTS Leader NA

a Mesmer with a Greatsword [Confusion], your mind has been [Mind Wrack]

(edited by Kenage Achalarus.4276)

Posted by: NintendoToad.4385

NintendoToad.4385

As a fellow TTS Leader, who often helps Kenage at the 10PM run, and occasionally takes the Overflow on Wednesdays, I am on board with Kenage’s message, but would also like to thank everyone at ArenaNet for everything that they have done in terms of interacting with the player base.

Posted by: Soren.9316

Soren.9316

As a player that only gets to log in during a specific time due to work and other real life commitments I feel that non-prime players are being punished for not being able to log in during the NA prime hours. I play in the weird time between NA/OCE switch ? 10:30pm – 1:30am CST ? same with a majority of the 10pm TTS run. This means we’ll never see Teq/Wurm/Karka in our time slot outside of getting other guilds to spawn Teq for us if/when the unlock system comes into play.

Now according to the new spawn times the only bosses available are:

Svanir Shaman 21:15
TBD 21:30
Fire Elemental 21:45
The Shatterer 22:00
Jungle Wurm 22:15
Modniir Ulgoth 22:30
Shadow Behemoth 22:45
Golem Mark II 23:00
Svanir Shaman 23:15
Claw of Jormag 23:30

To be brutally honest, not one of these bosses really appeals to me as all they are is run in smash 1 skill grab loot and take off. There is no coordination and nothing even remotely challenging about them. Boring and by no means a comparable replacement for Teq/Wurm/Karka.

The 10pm PST Teq followed by Karka was a main staple of mine since the Teq revamp. I generally don’t get to play until 9:30pm and am in bed around 1am server (10:30 – 2am CST up at 6am for work). With the static schedule you have pretty much told me that I won’t be doing Teq/Wurm/Karka anymore.

How does this affect the 10pm Teq runs?

Well I’m a leader for TTS. By nature of the way TTS is set up, as an inclusive community rather than exclusive, we have no way of generating any form of merits/substantial influence without spending thousands of gold and hours running guild missions that none of us wants to do. We have a large member base, 12 full guilds worth of it to be honest. In order to get merits we will need to segregate our guilds by home server and hope like hell we can convince everyone on that server to waste what could possibly be a minimal amount of playtime running guild missions.

Sure we can start with 1 guild but then is that going to generate enough influence/merit to keep raids going? No, most likely it won’t. We will more than likely need 4 if not more of our guilds actively running missions.

The issue will be compounded also if everyone burns themselves out on missions and then we find out we can’t get all our guys into a single map because everything is always 50% or more full. Even then having the-unlock won’t guarantee we can all get into the same map due to the way you megaserver system sorts people. Will TTS guild 1 members be able to join TTS guild2 members? Can Guild 4 and 12 also get in on the raid?

TTS never formed to do missions, we formed to kill world bosses and now, especially for us late NA/early OCE (10pm teq) we have nothing. Even if we just tried doing the bosses that spawn we are locked into the same boring bosses night after night… and I don’t want to be the commander that has to tell our 200+ late night players that they aren’t going to be able to do Teq anymore until/if/when we ever get the world boss unlock just because they don’t have the ability to play at prime time, especially when there is no reason for it as we fill a main AND an OF most nights. Essentially it will now feel like a job to log in and grind content just to be able to play the part of the game we Love.

The loss of the 10pm Teq run also kills some of the fun we’ve tried to have as well ? Wild Wednesday is the first thing that comes to mind for me. It’s an event I run on wed and we do various things while fighting Teq, such as no defenses, ugly colors, bear/bow ranger night, opposite day etc. Now with no Teq there is no event. We run a few other crazy/fun events at 10pm too, and it’s not just for TTS, it’s for the GW2 community as a whole.

Possible Solution:
*Give us an extra round of Teq/Karka/Wurm so the late NA/early OCE isn’t left with nothing. It is a vibrant community and we have lots interested in playing the tougher bosses at the later hours.

*Another possibility would be to leave Teq/Karka on the odd hours and have Wurm pop every 2nd even hour.

*Or heck, just give us our beloved Teq back at 10pm

I love what you guys have been doing change wise and lots of good stuff is coming but please, please, please, reconsider the static boss times on Wurm/Teq/Karka or you will be leaving a good chunk of the player base that plays the odd hours out of one thing that I think makes GW2 something fun and special.

IGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

(edited by Soren.9316)

Posted by: Alugjen Darlas.5329

Alugjen Darlas.5329

Or they can simply do somthing like this: instead of merit’s as a requirment for the ability to spwn teq/wurm/kark add an Guild Achievment pannel .

-Example: Kill Teq 10-25-45- time’s as a guild
Reward for each checkpoint = -2-5-7 etc free Wurm /teq/ boss consumable’s .
-Or Guild influence can be spent in order to buy Guild merit’s etc.

As a TxS commander and part of a guild that is focused only on World bosse’s this change’s are not going to help our peep’s .And as someone allrdy said we don’t want to force our guildmate to rep the guild , force em to move on a server or even do bounty’s .That’s not who we are and what we do .I keep asking myself sometimes where did the Anet Dev’s that back in beta or close to release kept saying ‘’Play like you want , we will never force to do something you don’t want too ‘’.This is exactly what is happening here , and is rly a shame that half of those word’s/sentence were just some Pr stuff to say .

[SC]Nine Inch Nose -205 Precurssors .

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Kenage, if TTS is a big guild, it should be able to summon Tequatl on off peak times. Read their blog post again

Posted by: Daemon.7682

Daemon.7682

I just don’t like the fact Teq, Wurm, and KQ will only be available every 8 hours and then it’s a 3 hour spawn window! I much prefer the way it is now where he spawns at set times.

“they all occur within a three-hour window that begins approximately every eight hours. This is weighted towards regional prime times.”

Now I’m EST so the times for me Teq is at 10 pm (to 1am), 7:30 (10:30)am (9 and a half hrs but okay), and 1 (4)pm(5 and a half hours). For me all these times are awful. I personally am usually killing the Teq at Reset or the one just before. KQ is 1 hr before and Great Jungle Wurm 1 hr after in the new times.

Now the other issue. If you go to Teq you won’t be able to do Great Jungle Wurm. Teq is about a 30 minute fight and wurm needs setup time on average 45 minutes of SETUP plus more time to explain the actual fight. Its not a problem currently because both bosses spawn every hour. So you can skip a Teq and go to Wurm, but still get your Teq kill in for the day. Teq spawns on odd and wurm on even ALWAYS. (till next daylight savings time) With this change that means you only get 30 minutes to setup and get coordinated to kill wurm assuming they both spawn on time. You may say it’s like that now, but you can skip a Teq kill to get that extra time for wurm and still have another Teq to kill later. Or hey you maybe sitting there waiting for Teq to spawn and miss Wurm completely because they are after all a 3 hour window.

I honestly don’t see why you don’t put all the spawns on a universal TIMER not a window, but a timer the boss happens at exactly this time every so often like both Teq and Wurm are on right now. That way people know exactly when the boss will be up and can plan accordingly. Right now so many servers are doing a world boss train factored around reset. So what if Teq or the Wurm spawn at a certain time and no one is there it already happens. Hell I would even prefer if you made KQ spawn every hour Teq every two hours and Wurm every two hours. Make them both odd or both even just not the same hour. Gives time to get the setup done and everything. Plus and more importantly no player misses out on the murdering of these awesome bosses.

Well some of you may say well it’s solved by the guilds being able to summon them. Well ya it’s solved for those in massive guilds that have the numbers and knowledge to do it. Well the only massive guild I’m in who has the numbers and knowledge to kill Teq or Wurm is TTS. HOWEVER that doesn’t solve the problem, because TTS doesn’t even have guild missions. They require repping during setup and fight only and that’s it! Even then a lot of members usually only represent the guild during the fight only.

I get on for the mega world bosses, since I find them the most fun. If I’m not able to fight them since they are never up when I would be on there is little to no point for me personally to play. While you maybe doing it during 3 high population play times that doesn’t mean everyone can get on during those times. I highly suggest you reconsider this change for other plays in the same boat as myself. There are other solutions.

Kenage, if TTS is a big guild, it should be able to summon Tequatl on off peak times. Read their blog post again

TTS is not a server based guild we are WORLD based. We do not do guild missions. We do not require to rep at any time other than during raid times. That is only requirement we have. Most of our guilds have very few upgrades. I can only see the upgrades on my server. Which is pretty much nothing. In order to upgrade from ground zero to maxing the guild missions it would take 1072g. Upgrading up all 12 guilds would cost over 12,000g, in fact it’s almost 13,000g.

Even if we had all those upgrades we’d probably have to do guild missions for merits since most the higher end upgrades require guild merits. 12 sub Guilds doing guild missions for a guild that is focused on kill mega world bosses.

Faux even if they opened the influence to world instead of server it could still be an issue since Merits.

(edited by Daemon.7682)

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

You can open it up for Influence from what Ive read. I know TTS is all servers and is hard for influence, but it is an option.

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

TTS is not a server based guild we are WORLD based.

My server is multi server. We decide on a server to guest on to do guild missions.

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

You can open it up for Influence from what Ive read. I know TTS is all servers and is hard for influence, but it is an option.

TTS guilds do not have influence at all. The content we have been doing since the teq revamp do not reward influence.

This change can really screw a bunch of TTS members over, such as myself, who can only play once or twice a week for a few hours. There needs to be another way to open a instanced version of world bosses for mega guilds (12 TTS guilds!) that only do “hard-core, mega-organized events”.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

My server is multi server. We decide on a server to guest on to do guild missions.

TTS has members from all 24 NA servers. This is the case for basically all 12 guilds. Anet has made the system for guilds deny and continue to deny such large guilds easy upgrades. You’re also glossing over that TTS only asks you to rep the guild if you’re at one of their raids, which you might be at once a week/month.

Posted by: KainRacure.1023

KainRacure.1023

One thing a lot of people are misunderstanding is that TTS doesn’t work like a guild. The idea behind TTS is to allow as many people the chance to experience these mega boss kills as possible. To this end we have open recruitment for those who wish to dedicate to doing it (literally we only ask what your account is and if you agree to our etiquette which amounts to not being a jerk to people.)

Beyond that we also guest to servers to invite locals to join us, We specifically pick servers that have low populations and do not do teq often. I can not count the times that we have helped someone to get the achievement(s) that they thought impossible and how many grateful people have expressed their feelings.

TTS tried to help anyone who needs it and it is sad that we are basically being crippled in this way. I think it is counter to the community aspect Anet is trying to make here.

Posted by: Lyralei.5920

Lyralei.5920

The premise behind TTS is that we allow everyone an opportunity to do Tequatl with little to no commitment to being in a dedicated raid guild. TxS does a similar thing on EU if I’m not mistaken.

What’s great about the fixed odd hour cycles is that people are able to do the boss whenever there’s enough interest to do so. No commitment necessary to do so and doesn’t punish guilds for failure. With the schedule as it is, I believe a certain segment of the community is effectively locked out from participating in these bosses when they otherwise would be able to.

I’d also like to mention that this punishes the little man as much as it does the big man. Small guilds may not have the capacity to acquire the upgrades required to spawn these bosses and communities like TTS and TxS provide this opportunity to them to do so without forcing them to commit.

Bosses like Tequatl and Wurm are so prone to failure by destructive individuals that I cannot foresee guilds willingly spawning these bosses with their merits without a full group.

I sincerely hope we see some revisions and refinement of the system. Its a great idea in concept (the ability to spawn a boss for a guild) but there are kinks that we need to sort out for it to be a stellar system.

Posted by: Makani Eldrinn.5638

Makani Eldrinn.5638

I would just like to re-enforce what the TTS leaders are saying here. There is a large group of people that are across many servers that do the 10pm Teq run and we are going to miss out on events like Teq/wurm/karka. TTS was formed out of Teq and it doesn’t seem right that us late night folks are not able to do this content because of how the community has had to set itself up across multiple servers.

KainRacure.1023

One fix that might work is if we could spawn Teq or Wurm with influence alone. It would also help if they expedited the merging of guild influence. This SHOULD coincide with the merging of servers/maps as it only makes sense. If we are all going to be on the same maps then segregating influance and upgrades and banks and such serves no purpose anymore and hinders grown in the community.

Think of how this is going to affect guild recruitment. People are going to try to advertise their guild on say the Queensdale map and there may be people from any combination of 24 different servers there. Then when they find out the person is from a different server then they may have to kick them due to not being able to really contribute to the guild. It is not going to be pretty.

Posted by: Metronomy.7039

Metronomy.7039

This change doesnt seem to fit well with my playstyle of GW2. I dont have 8 hours to play this game per day. My playstyle requires me to be able to choose what time I fight a boss.

Limiting the boss to once in 8 hours will likely mean I have a single option per day to do these bosses, while I am fine with doing Teq only once per day, I dont have consistent times that I am available to play the game.

That being said, the guild spawning of events sounds like a perfect solution, but unfortunately I am not part of a guild that seems capable of spawning it consistently (TTS). I think the problem with this is that many members of TTS will not be representing the guild outside of the boss fights, meaning their influence point gain is minimal.

I think a cool solution to this would be to offer guilds one ‘free’ mega event spawn per day for guilds that have researched it (or some other similar way to get it that is time gated, but free). This would mean, yes we would have to pay to research it, but we would also be able to cater better to our community without excluding people who cant play at prime times.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’m certainw they have the statistics on when the greatest population of players is playing. They choice of times was not random but, intelligently chosen. I’m sorry if it doesn’t fit in TTS’s schedule but, I view it as the majority of players are more important.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

They will open the encounter to thousands of players who have been unable to do the event on low population servers unless they joined a one-trick-pony guild.
You can manually start the event now, so adapt your schedule a bit and you will be fine.

“Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

People in Ocenic/SEA pretty much dont have a shot at these great bosses now.They are either sleeping or at work. No way that they can show up on those boss.

Lyralei.5920

I’m certainw they have the statistics on when the greatest population of players is playing. They choice of times was not random but, intelligently chosen. I’m sorry if it doesn’t fit in TTS’s schedule but, I view it as the majority of players are more important.

They will open the encounter to thousands of players who have been unable to do the event on low population servers unless they joined a one-trick-pony guild.
You can manually start the event now, so adapt your schedule a bit and you will be fine.

“Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”

We’re talking about improving the self-spawning system in a way that doesn’t penalize any guild for even attempting Tequatl or Wurm. Merits are a finite resource that guilds use for other things.

Why should any guild be punished for failing a boss kill due to factors that they can’t influence? Every other merit-based guild purchase is a guaranteed bonus.

We are asking to improve the system such that any guild be it big, small, multi-world or otherwise will be able to fight the boss at their own pace that doesn’t force you to do guild missions.

As it stands, TTS and TxS already provide more opportunities to individuals to experience Tequatl. More than any of you can claim to provide. These selfless individuals take their time out of their day, every day, to organize a group so that people may have a chance to experience these bosses regardless of where they’re from, what language they speak or which world they’re home to.

And I see no reason why we can’t improve the system to continue letting them do this. TTS doesn’t even have a requirement to join so your claims of “thousands of people unable to do the event on low pop servers” are quite unfounded.

I want people who can’t attend to these “prime time” spawns to still be able to get together and do it regardless of their guild.

Posted by: Soren.9316

Soren.9316

The problem isn’t as simple as just altering the schedule a bit. This issue is with late NA/early OCE. At the time we play we will never have a mega boss spawn happen within our play times. This isn’t even about TTS or TxS really but about all our late NA/early OCE players. We have to play NA prime or OCE prime or we get nothing. How is that supposed to be fair?

You say suck it up and play a different time but what if that isn’t an option for a good chunk of people? Is my playtime less valuable than yours? If the earliest I get on is 10pm CST is that my fault?

I also think the system is fundamentally flawed if we are forced to badger other guilds in order to get unlocks if we can’t get enough merits to spawn our.

Simply put GW2 was supposed to be an inclusive game. IMO we are now being forced to conform to a schedule and that in the end is going to end up making guilds etc be 100% rep all the time. that is the quickest way to kill a community. I don’t understand why we can’t keep mega bosses on a 4 hr rotation. It hurts no one and only makes the mega bosses more inclusive and available for everyone that wants to participate.

This thread isn’t meant to be woe is me and woe is TTS. It is about crippling a community simply because we won’t have the tools available to do what we need to do what we were formed to do – kill mega bosses. While you may not think this is a valid reason for wanting the 10pm Teq to stay I have 300+ that run with me that would disagree with you.

IGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Posted by: Laurent.8930

Laurent.8930

As a member of TTS who attends late-NA/early-OCE time, this is something of a problem.

None of us really want to be forced to start doing guild missions that we don’t want to do on a server we may or may not want to be on over the course of more than two months just to unlock the ability to spawn these bosses in the time slot we play.

What are our other options? Buying boss spawns from other guilds that won’t use it otherwise? That doesn’t seem acceptable to me.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

The rigidness of the schedule is also a problem for EVE and NiP in Europe. They also only ask for rep during the big events and also won’t be able to spawn the event regularly even if they are max sized guilds.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

TTS has done a lot for the community. Why not have the community volunteer Teq spawns for TTS while TTS builds influence to unlock their own Teq spawns eventually? There could be a coordinated agreement where X guild pops Teq for TTS with TTS hosting/coordinating.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: LA GW.6753

LA GW.6753

I’m of the opinion the boss spawn schedule needs to be condensed. Because I’d like to actually farm the bosses in a time period not consistent with a full-time job.

Boss Group 1: Six bosses spawn simultaneously at 00:00 and 00:30. Note this is SPAWN. Not ‘start wonky event chain to trigger spawn’. They are up and defeatable in a 15-minute timeframe.

Boss Group 2: Six other bosses spawn simultaneously at 00:15 and 00:45.

This covers 12 World Bosses. IMO the best candidate to ‘drop’ would be the Foulbear Chieftain. The others(SB, Jungle Wurm, Maw, Fire Ele, Commissar, Ulgoth, Shatterer, Jormag, Covington, Fire Shaman, Megadestroyer and Golem)are split into the two groups. This gives you a path of your choosing through all 12 over 3 hours.

But what about the big bads? Tequatl, Tri-Wurm and Karka Queen?

Simple. They all three spawn every 3 hours.

This gives you a neat, easy 3-hour rotation to cover 13 of the 15 bosses. And still lets the big guilds feel special as they can then roll straight into the other two and be done in around a 4-hour stretch.

But I doubt ANet will listen to this, as their boss spawn schedule smells like ‘AMG TOO MUCH LOOT MUST CUT IT DOWN TO SELLZ MOAR GEMZ!!!’ to me.

Posted by: Clloydio.3524

Clloydio.3524

There are loads of guilds overflowing with merits and influence who will probably be willing to start the events for you… try asking TTS members if there alternative guilds would be willing to help.

We will have to wait and see what the cost to start an event is, but my guild should be willing to start them in the EU for any large groups that want to try for it.

KainRacure.1023

DigitalKirin, that is exactly what we are currently looking at but it is an imperfect system and it will end up breaking down at some point.

Posted by: guardian.6489

guardian.6489

The major problem TTS has is that even if it’s able to eventually get some merits flowing, merits are not unlimited and there’s a set cap you can earn each week. This means we’ll be dependant on other guilds to spawn at key times which makes it difficulty to maintain a set schedule and if members can’t get into main, we may not be able to pop teq on an overflow.

This merit cap severely limits what TTS can do even after we get all this stuff unlocked and set up.

If Guild challenges and the spawning token were purely influence dependent then we wouldn’t have a problem but a weekly cap severely limits what TTS can do for the community.

Retired Leader of TTS

(edited by guardian.6489)

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

This is one of the side effects of Mega Servers (glorified server merge due to low pop), They are still too lazy to instance teq/wurm, because that requires actual work and doesnt make them scheckles on the cash shop.

There is no reason not to, a group of pugs will never down these bosses, they need to just turn them into completely instanced guild raids that start at 30? (2 groups per wurm head) people and scales up to 150, allowing non guild members to join as long as they are in a party with a person from that guild.

This means joining a mega guild like TTS wont be necessary to have a chance in hell to even complete this content, which is kind of absurd in the first place.

Posted by: FearedbytheGods.8617

FearedbytheGods.8617

Considering TSS is the single most point of contact for people wanting to have success at this event, what does ANet gain by sabotaging it?

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

While I don’t know the need to put certain events under a strict timer spawning many hours, the “contested” Dungeon entrances are fine-go well with the lore behind them, and most probably after the change goes global, it would be rare in any case to find them closed with so much more activity per map.

Perhaps afterwards they are able to fix Arah’s entrance, who’s usually contested in theory but always open, which makes many players “happy” but makes the zone original plan for the zone quite broken. Warmaster Chan: “Let’s open the way to Arah!… wait, all this work and we could have just went in if we just ran past through the undead and their catapults!?”

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

While obviously increasing the average population of unpopular maps, the MegaServer system:

• fails to make these zones interesting to visit once they’re explored for map completion,
  • introduces world boss schedules which effectively kills the concept of Living World where players’ actions are what matters most,
  • limits people who have a specific time slot available to doing the same content over and over again,
  • turns peaceful experience of many zones into zergy content where everybody does the same only thing.

I actually doubt that at this stage ANet decides to drop the MegaServer system (which undoubtedly drained a lot of resources and will make so many things easier for developers) despite tons of negative feedback from players, but as I still want to hope that feedback matters, I’m opening this thread and suggest that we discuss possible solutions to the actual problem, instead of accepting a measure to mask it away.

1. Revert gear loot tables to be always map-level-dependent instead of player-level-dependent.

• This will straight away fix the problem of overpriced medium-tier materials while having silk, mithril and elder wood markets oversaturated. To compensate for the drop in silk income, Bolt of Silk recipe can be changed to 2 scraps per bolt from 3 (should I remind developers that light ascended armour is 3-4 times as expensive as medium or heavy, while light armour classes are the hardest ones to play in PvE?).
  • If you want specific materials, go to the specific zones and farm, and you do not have to rely on getting salvageable items anymore. This will stabilise the market and make it how it should be: lower tier materials are easier to obtain, thus become cheaper. The current system punishes new players far more than veterans by making medium-tier gear and crafting unreasonably expensive. Plus, getting lvl 80 gear from lvl 10 spiders never made sense in the first place…
  • This will also partially address the issue of the highly toxic Queensdale train, as a portion of players will relocate to higher-level maps, and can even form champ trains of different tiers for farming specific materials at different maps.

2. Introduce several new world bosses to each low-level zone, and to each mid-level zone as well.

• If Wayfarer Foothills had 3 world bosses with 3 guaranteed rares per day instead of 1 Frozen Maw with 3-4 rares in chest+daily, then the map would’ve been visited far more often and in different places, and I’m pretty sure it would’ve still worked even if the total time for these 3 events was about 30-50-80% more – simply because a) an accomplishment still counts and b) slightly lower but faster and guaranteed rewards are still fun. The same goes for other maps.
  • The reason why we need “world bosses” and not simply dynamic event chains is 1) because we need a guaranteed reward worth participating for and 2) because we want them to be trackable. Which brings us to the next point…
20 level 80s and counting.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Lishtenbird.2814

3. Let players know what is happening in the game and where it is happening!

• Would developers like to know why many people cosplay in hub cities and not play the game? The answer is simple: they don’t know what to do. Yes, they can go do a dungeon, but they may need a party and it gonna be long and unrewarding if they’re bad at it; they may go do a personal story step, but it’s unrewarding and so single playerish that it’s boring (and at some points it’s over anyway). They will not go explore because you have to walk through half a map to even stumble upon an event, and the one you stumble upon will most likely be unsoloable – and not worth the time anyway. In other words: this is a multi-player game, yet there are little means provided to us to “multi-play” as a whole server, and doubly so for players in small friend-only guilds (who are unable to read guild chats of larger social guilds they may join).
  • Solution 1: make all major events always displayed on the whole world map. You open the map – you see one of the Balthazar chains being done – you hop on, contribute, everyone wins. If the map is hardcapped, just overlay it with some kind of red tint and make the event icons disappear.
  • Solution 2: make a world event tracker similar to map/local event trackers. At any moment in time you can push the “Active world events: 7/50” button and see a list of events all over the world. It can be a UI button, an event tab in top-right corner, an “event fairy” summonable NPC, an inventory “asuran broadcasting stone” – whatever it takes to tell people what they can do.
  • Solution 3: make a /world chat channel so that people can interact with others and write “We’re alone at Grenth pre, come help or it gonna fail!”, or “Tequatl turret defense set up, need DPS people!” without leaving the map (and risking their slot/losing progress from a contested waypoint) and wasting time cycling through cities.

4. Make dynamic events worth doing.

• Directly increasing rewards looks like an evident solution, but there will always be something needed to offset inflation which comes with it.
  • So probably cosmetic rewards is the way to go, and this can be done with PvE regional reward tracks which lets you gather several types of map tokens in these zones which can be than traded to unlock unique non-tradeable map gear and/or dyes, and possibly traded for other materials (laurels? karma? ascended mats?) once you have too much of those.
  • More entertaining (harpy love buff!) and useful (fire elemental powder!) consumables introduced every now and then may increase the interest for events just a bit more.

5. Make exploration worth doing.

• Precursor crafting which requires you to gather materials throughout the whole world of Tyria.
  • Mystic forging unique skins from non-tradeable items found in different places on the map. To simplify the process of creating skins for developers, this can be limited/combined into a region-specific coloring component used to craft/forge skins of different colour (similar to the use of Knight cores) – e.g. Maguuma zones for green, Shiverspeak for blue and so on. If extended to having matching colours for each profession, that would be GREAT – just imagine colouring your Cobalt purple, or making a Whisperblade red, or… you got the idea!
  • Map bounties – bosses which are never displayed on the map and harmlessly roam around it and often change locations but once triggered by a group of players, transform into a worldboss-like creature at their current location and become an event with a guaranteed reward.
  • Followers of Nicholas the Traveler – NPCs roaming around maps which provide daily rewards (map tokens? karma?) to those who manage to locate them.
  • Growing dyes – using specific places in different places of Tyria to grow plants which can be then harvested for dyes of specific colors (after a period of time and probably some materials from nearby dynamic event merchants).
  • Unlocking new traits – just listed the Feature Pack feature here as I see it as a good example of what can be done.
  • Gonna catch ’em all! – unique collectible minis/polymock pieces tied to maps.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Lishtenbird.2814

6. Make visiting cities worth doing.

• Polymock, battles of minis – hosted by different cities, cities have a racial influence on available pieces/minis/skills/arenas.
  • Roaming one-day-per-city merchant who provides “hot deals” on popular items (salvage kits?) or sell a limited daily amount of hard-to-obtain materials (obsidian shards? ascended mats? random sets of temple armour?), possibly after a chain of successful city pre-events (“Put sleeping pills into gate guards’ wine.”, “Distract guards and escort the merchant to the city square.”, “Deliver bribes to the city council members to allow the merchant to trade.”).
  • Trackable and rewarding (karma? food and crafting materials? city map tokens?) city events (similar to Wintersday dolyak escort).

Posted by: Zepidel.5349

Zepidel.5349

Considering TSS is the single most point of contact for people wanting to have success at this event, what does ANet gain by sabotaging it?

Theres too many dead servers, and instead of doing a proper server merge (they are afraid it will make the game look bad, which it will server merges are always a sign of a dying game), they are masking it behind MEGASERVERS, a side effect of which is the problem presented in the OP.

The only way to fix it is to allow guilds to create their own instances and to start scaling the encounter at say 30 – 150 people.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

I must also say that the stiff schedule for world-events is rather unforgiving for players who have rather strict time-restrictions due to, you know, work. And family. And stuff.

Before, when you wanted to do a world event, there were always some around – or you could guest to a world where your desired event was active (or about to be active). Now?
Well, tough luck. With dungeons as well…
Particularly when you don’t belong to a mega guild or have connections to one. Isn’t as if guild activities hadn’t been rather punishing for smaller guilds already…can we please have the good old GW1 guild alliances back?

Polka will never die

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

^ That.

I’ve never heard of TTS, but again I’m from Desolation ( EU ), which happens to be the biggest server in the world, so whenever there’s need, people just gather and do anything together – just like in the case of the first 3H Wurm kill in the world.

Reschedule it and you will be fine.

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Lyralei.5920

That’s because TTS is NA only. The EU equivalent is TxS. We don’t guest on the top worlds such as Blackgate because they are more than capable of killing it on their own, but we rotate daily to every other world to give their denizens a chance at killing Tequatl.

We run Teq at least 4-5 times daily to cater to people from all timezones. Rescheduling DOES NOT WORK.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

^ That.

I’ve never heard of TTS, but again I’m from Desolation ( EU ), which happens to be the biggest server in the world, so whenever there’s need, people just gather and do anything together – just like in the case of the first 3H Wurm kill in the world.

Reschedule it and you will be fine.

TTS runs teq at 3pm, 5pm, and 11pm just for NA members. There are 2 runs done in the “mornings” for OCE members. We cant reschedule anything when a lot of players work OR attend college. When you fix the time at a specific hour, one that tells a lot of players “suck it” because they cant reach it, there’s a problem. At 6k members strong, that’s a lot of people to tell “we’re sorry, we’re no longer running this content because the times Anet set for it excludes the large majority of the guild.”

The way it seems, is that a LOT of people would rather see the downfall of guilds like TTS and TxS instead of changing this “schedule” so that players not even in those guilds have a chance to reach those builds. Are you people that against cutting the schedule to a 4 hour rotation instead of the disgusting 8 hours? The “mega bosses” are already on a 2 hour loop to begin with. Hell, changing it to a 5 hour loop means it’s going to be different times each day.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I can’t really see why the wurm and teq can’t just stay offset an hour all day long they are already a fixed time across servers and time limited in duration. I could be missing something but it really seems strange.

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

They made level 80 gear have a chance to drop in low level zones AND dungeons so people actually go there without being penalized.

Why would you play in a low level zone or dungeon if you’re going to get level 50 useless rares for example? For lower level materials? That’s not worth the trade off of not getting level 68+ rares and exotics.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

Posted by: Szamsziel.5627

Szamsziel.5627

I would also add one thing – bosses will start the same time but killing them will be out of schedule. What it mean I expect plenty of people parking their chars at world boss and in case of quick win logging out and in many times to participate in event not completed yet. Then Anet will “fix” it with the same approach as Karka one chest per account.

Posted by: Reyo.4738

Reyo.4738

Trainee commander here for TxS. All I can say is that I see why Anet are doing this but I am concerned on many fronts about this.

Firstly, when you have 130-140+ of your members turn up to do wurm and tequatl how the hell are you going to gaurentee that all of them or at least most of them can get into the same shard/instance/overflow? Gueating on a server you know that there is space will no longer work. Also there is the problem that our members are all from diferent servers and in our case with TxS all natively speak diferent languages and will be segregated because of these reasons by the algorithm.

Secondly, as others have said how, when all most of us in the TxS and TTS community’s only ever do these bosses are we going to get the merits etc together to summon them at our convenience? Assuming we can even get into the same instance? We neither have the time as commanders nor want to do guild missions etc.

These changes look like that at the moment it will utterly and completely OBLITERATE our two large communities and will for me END one of the most fun and awesome online gaming experienceces I have had in a long long time. I love guild wars 2 because of these encounters and the friendships and community’s that have formed as a result but if these changes do what I fear they will do then for us at least all will be lost.

If that happens I think I speak for all of us here when I say “ill be done.” Nothing else will measure up to playing with people like TxS and TTS. And then kills of Teq and Wurm will become mostly confined to history or the odd very rare occurance.

Please Arena Net, do not do this to us. We risk loosing far more than we could gain and at present feel like our concerns are not being heard.

Thank you for reading.

- Reyana Nareska
- TxS Trainee Commander

Posted by: Yenrah.8532

Yenrah.8532

Yes yes and yes.

1. Revert gear loot tables to be always map-level-dependent instead of player-level-dependent.

The only thing i would change: just making the chance of dropping map level items higher than high level items. Not a slightest chance of your level gear would’n encourage anyone to visit the zone.

Map bounties – bosses which are never displayed on the map and harmlessly roam around it and often change locations but once triggered by a group of players, transform into a worldboss-like creature at their current location and become an event with a guaranteed reward.

Love this one.

Posted by: ksmisfit.8109

ksmisfit.8109

My basic problem is if you set 3 times only for this boss many people will fall through the cracks. I at times spend 35-70 dollars real money in a month on this game for gems because I like the game and want to support the work on it.
However if I end up missing out on the big meta events and end up having to solo or do stuff which I may have problems with doing because of physical problems or because I frankly do not care for like anything to do with PvP. I may end up not feel the need to continue supporting the game in this manner.
This is not a threat it is just a reality. If I stop enjoying the game as with any other player who stops enjoying the game due to uneven factors such as raids being always in a time frame they cannot reach; they will stop playing the game, and when that happens any monetary support they have given the game through buying of gems will also stop.
This isn’t just about tts or guilds, it is about those of us who have limited time to play, or limited ability to play. there has to be a way that people can get to these events on a regular basis.

Posted by: PacoXI.7690

PacoXI.7690

I think Anet is trying to remove the need of TTS for Teq runs on low pop servers. They don’t want half the game to have to rely on one organization for the numbers to get Teq/Karka done – Wurm excluded because it takes a little bit more effort at this point.

Anet has also stated that the rollout of the megaserver and finer details such as spawn times are subject to change. They are taking things slow and watching how people reach so that they can adjust accordingly.

I also know that TTS only does the bosses that require numbers/coordination so they don’t have the upgrades to spawn the bosses on their own but what about the other guilds that TTS members are apart of? Surely TTS is made up of members from guilds that won’t have a problem building the upgrades to spawn Teq. Why not just ask guilds to donate their spawns?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Now that you have to pay to spawn extra mega-bosses, I’d expect griefing to become more prevalent because the stakes are higher — the griefers not only get the satisfaction of griefing your kill, but also cause you to waste influence (or whatever it costs to spawn a boss).

It’s going to get ugly.