Play for Free Confirmed [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

My only concern about this decision is, usually f2p areas/servers are hell in other games. Lots of immature behaviour, which makes serious players rush into paid accounts or member servers. The only problem is, we can’t do that, since f2p is mixed with paid accounts. The only option would be to hide in HoT area after the release, but I also would love to do my daily world bosses without having to deal with “f2p scum”.

When you think elitism can’t get any worse….

Posted by: PoodleDoodleDoo.3247

PoodleDoodleDoo.3247

Yes I see that but how is it fair to me? Why should I have to pay more money while new players don’t? Why am I getting punished for buying the core game when it released?

How are you being punished? You played the game for three years. New players won’t be getting everything you got. You can continue to play just as you are, not buy HoT, and still be better off than the F2P players.

It is not the F2P I have a problem with. I think it’s a great idea. My problem is that new players can buy both the core game and HoT for HALF the price of what I paid for my games. How is this fair?

Because they aren’t getting the same game that you paid for. There will be no Living Story and those 40 other updates we had over the last three years. What do they have to pay for with GW2 Core?

The entire story for the core game that I also paid for? The living story was great and all but it was free so it shouldn’t even be brought into the picture. The core game is still a game with a storyline.

Okay, I see what you’re are saying. That part never changes, and a lot of players get bored with that, so that is why they offer the new stuff. I wouldn’t call it “free”, you paid for that, too. We knew there would be content releases when we purchased the game, so that could definitely have been a selling point for many a player. But you see the core game as the game, maybe you are a player who doesn’t participate in a lot of the new stuff. Okay, I get that.

Still, you can’t look at things this way. Do YOU feel that YOU got your money’s worth? If yes, that’s all that matters. Making it free with limited content at a later time doesn’t change the fact that you were satisfied with your purchase.

As I said it is not the F2P I have a problem with. Once again I think it’s a great idea. My problem is that you can buy HoT and get the core game for free, but I who already bought the core game now has to pay for HoT. It wouldn’t be a problem if new players paid for both games instead of just one.

This signaure is currently undergoing maintenance.

Posted by: XPilo.5862

XPilo.5862

I can’t see that page, say i don’t have access

Free to play players shouldn’t get acess to:

Guild Banks
Buy gems with gold

The price of gems is crazy now if you allow the free players buy gems with gold then the price will skyrocket so high that no one will be able to buy gems again, except for the hardcore farmers.

And we need put more strict behavior rules we don’t want this game comunity became another league of legend !!

Honestly read the FAQ before complaining.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157

Posted by: Kajan.7410

Kajan.7410

I would like to say this about the Free to play move:

You can be kitten lucky i already bought the expansion. Because you quite frankly wouldn’t see a single dime from me again. If i had known that i didn’t need to pay for this game down the road i’d never have bothered paying 50 bucks for it and another 50 bucks for its expansion.

And quite frankly i feel cheated. So thank you for the big middle finger, ArenaNet.

I was perfectly fine with the Base being free with HoT, but it going completely free 2 play. Why the heck did i pay in the first place?

Posted by: Bonobo.1470

Bonobo.1470

My only concern about this decision is, usually f2p areas/servers are hell in other games. Lots of immature behaviour, which makes serious players rush into paid accounts or member servers. The only problem is, we can’t do that, since f2p is mixed with paid accounts. The only option would be to hide in HoT area after the release, but I also would love to do my daily world bosses without having to deal with “f2p scum”.

You are disregarding the fact that free accounts can’t use map chat.

I’ve played f2p games with only say chat, it is horrible.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

So people complain about feeling ripped off for having to pay for the base game in the past when it’s now entirely free.

Let’s break it down: I earn around 50 Euro per hour. My /age says I spent almost 3.000 hours ingame. I probably spent around 100 Euro in the gem store in the last 3 years. So lets say I invested 150 Euro in this game I really enjoy to play in my free time. So when I go to the cinema with my gf that’s around 20 Euro for the movie and popcorn/drinks. Let’s do the math:

Cinema = fun for 3 hours = 20 Euro = 6,66 Euro/hour fun
GW2 = fun for 3000 hours = 150 Euro = 0,05 Euro/hour fun

I think this is a pretty good deal, eh? So how can I ever feel ripped off for not getting any compensation when consuming a game that costs me 0,05 Euro per hour? You paid 50 Euro for the base game and had so much fun, enjoyment and good time…how can you even devaluate Anets hard work so badly? That’s really shabby guys, don’t you think? I’m sure I will have another thousands of hours fun with HoT and I gladly pay 100 Euro for the Deluxe edition – it’s just worth my fun/hour ratio in comparison to other leisure stuff.

Don’t be unreasonable and enjoy the company of many more Tyrians to come! For Iron Legion ofc!

I never go to the Cinema cuz I’m poor. And cuz it smells funny.
Not that I’m asking for money back, that was 3 years ago. :P

But somethings worth varies from person to person and I’m not blind or rude enough to lack empathy towards those who feel they wasted 10-20+ dollars they may of needed cuz they got core game before announcement earlier this year. Anet seems to feel the same way since I believe they were offering refunds and such. Waiting is sometimes better for some people, especially for all those expensive AAA games that cost 60 but eventually 5-10 dollars during steam sales and still as enjoyable. I personally would love a discount for xpan cuz I can’t afford 50 atm.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: barbariccia.9801

barbariccia.9801

LOL people damage control this.. This rip off. it’s free to play “new players”. If they want to keep playing they just need to buy Exp Pack.

So…
Base game 0€
Exp pack 44.99€ total 44.99€.
I bought game 2012 for 50€ i think… so 50€ + 44.99€ = 90.99 for same content. RIP OFF.

So that 50 you paid back in 2012 wasn’t “covered” in the last 3 years?

I don’t remember anything huge since 2012. . . .
Race.classes nothing.

Posted by: killyouback.4092

killyouback.4092

LOL people damage control this.. This rip off. it’s free to play “new players”. If they want to keep playing they just need to buy Exp Pack.

So…
Base game 0€
I bought game 2012 for 50€ i think… so 50€ + 44.99€ = 90.99 for same content. RIP OFF.

I understand the thought behind it. For new players it’ll become increasingly inaccessible as expansions come out. It’s easy enough to pay $50-$60 once every few years, less so to pay $120-$180 all at once. I understand where they’re coming from.

But…absolutely no concession for old players buying into the expansion? That seems skewed. I’m not averse to buying it, but at least give me some added incentive if everyone else is going to be getting what I purchased free.

Posted by: Heylel.2109

Heylel.2109

So people complain about feeling ripped off for having to pay for the base game in the past when it’s now entirely free.

Let’s break it down: I earn around 50 Euro per hour. My /age says I spent almost 3.000 hours ingame. I probably spent around 100 Euro in the gem store in the last 3 years. So lets say I invested 150 Euro in this game I really enjoy to play in my free time. So when I go to the cinema with my gf that’s around 20 Euro for the movie and popcorn/drinks. Let’s do the math:

Cinema = fun for 3 hours = 20 Euro = 6,66 Euro/hour fun
GW2 = fun for 3000 hours = 150 Euro = 0,05 Euro/hour fun

I think this is a pretty good deal, eh? So how can I ever feel ripped off for not getting any compensation when consuming a game that costs me 0,05 Euro per hour? You paid 50 Euro for the base game and had so much fun, enjoyment and good time…how can you even devaluate Anets hard work so badly? That’s really shabby guys, don’t you think? I’m sure I will have another thousands of hours fun with HoT and I gladly pay 100 Euro for the Deluxe edition – it’s just worth my fun/hour ratio in comparison to other leisure stuff.

Don’t be unreasonable and enjoy the company of many more Tyrians to come! For Iron Legion ofc!

So playing GW is economically more convenient than having a GF? I’m not sure if this place is the right one to ask her for your money back…

Posted by: Kormeg.2469

Kormeg.2469

-If i had known that i didn’t need to pay for this game down the road i’d never have bothered paying 50 bucks for it and another 50 bucks for its expansion.

-Why the heck did i pay in the first place?

So are you sorry you bought the core game in the 1st place? Do you wish you had never played?

Posted by: GummyBearSummoner.7941

GummyBearSummoner.7941

I knew this day was coming

Heylel.2109

-If i had known that i didn’t need to pay for this game down the road i’d never have bothered paying 50 bucks for it and another 50 bucks for its expansion.

-Why the heck did i pay in the first place?

So are you sorry you bought the core game in the 1st place? Do you wish you had never played?

I actually do.

Posted by: Pixelninja.6971

Pixelninja.6971

With the restrictions, i find it’s fair, both for new and veteran players.
New players get a good feel for the game, without destroying the economy and community. If they like it and want to get serious, they will have to buy the game, because with the restrictions it won’t be fun in the long run.

Posted by: Bonobo.1470

Bonobo.1470

When you think elitism can’t get any worse….

This isn’t about elitism. This is about enjoying a game without having to deal with childish comments all the time. I’ve been playing lots of f2p games and moved to paid accounts quickly because of all the nonsense and stupid comments that were made in chat. Don’t forget scamming and insults. f2p players have nothing to lose. They didn’t pay a dime for their account and are not bothered when they get banned. In other games you usually have the option to avoid this, in GW2 you don’t. That’s all I am saying, and I really hope we will get some nice new players, but I am really sceptical about it.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

A true and valid argument. The value for Gw2 has been more than worth it. However Anets recent actions smell of desperation, which makes me reluctant to get HoT. They don’t seem focused, or doing enough to incentivise wanting to continue with the franchise, but more doing whatever cash grab they can.

We will see how HoT pans out and what their timetable is post-HoT in regards to development and content releases. Personally Fallout 4 seems a better value during that timeframe, so I probably won’t be upgrading(or playing much) till after the new year.

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Now now…Let’s not Bicker and Argue over who killed who… This is a Happy Occasion!

As a vet who paid full price for both the base game and pre ordered HoT I gotta say this isn’t hurting me at all much less being a Slap in the Face. In fact, it sounds like a smart, well considered move in the long term.

MO asked us to help the new players. Sure! Not a problem MO.

Posted by: Aluna Darklady.3165

Aluna Darklady.3165

Yes I see that but how is it fair to me? Why should I have to pay more money while new players don’t? Why am I getting punished for buying the core game when it released?

How are you being punished? You played the game for three years. New players won’t be getting everything you got. You can continue to play just as you are, not buy HoT, and still be better off than the F2P players.

It is not the F2P I have a problem with. I think it’s a great idea. My problem is that new players can buy both the core game and HoT for HALF the price of what I paid for my games. How is this fair?

Because they aren’t getting the same game that you paid for. There will be no Living Story and those 40 other updates we had over the last three years. What do they have to pay for with GW2 Core?

The entire story for the core game that I also paid for? The living story was great and all but it was free so it shouldn’t even be brought into the picture. The core game is still a game with a storyline.

Okay, I see what you’re are saying. That part never changes, and a lot of players get bored with that, so that is why they offer the new stuff. I wouldn’t call it “free”, you paid for that, too. We knew there would be content releases when we purchased the game, so that could definitely have been a selling point for many a player. But you see the core game as the game, maybe you are a player who doesn’t participate in a lot of the new stuff. Okay, I get that.

Still, you can’t look at things this way. Do YOU feel that YOU got your money’s worth? If yes, that’s all that matters. Making it free with limited content at a later time doesn’t change the fact that you were satisfied with your purchase.

As I said it is not the F2P I have a problem with. Once again I think it’s a great idea. My problem is that you can buy HoT and get the core game for free, but I who already bought the core game now has to pay for HoT. It wouldn’t be a problem if new players paid for both games instead of just one.

Okay. I’m not gonna lie, I AM a little bothered by it. Mostly b/c it seemed we were promised continuing and changing content, and at release ANet was adamant that there would never be expansions with this game (or so I seem to recall).

But I don’t see how else ANet could handle an expansion. What would be the point in releasing an expansion and giving it to their current customers for free? That’s unreasonable to expect a company not to be able to profit off their work. I don’t feel that it’s “owed” to me. And the only way I can look at it is that the $60 I paid in 2012 was for the last three years of game I have enjoyed. I can keep playing that content without buying HoT. They’re not taking that away from me. But if I want to play the new content, I have to pay $50 just like everyone else. I don’t see how it could be any other way. So, you either buy it or you don’t.

~Mera Darklady~
Legion of Honour [XIII]
Elementalist

Posted by: dane.4638

dane.4638

Im not sorry I bought the core game as I have had much fun. Even bought it for my wife,sister and kids. But I have no intention of buying hot as it is very much overpriced for veteran players. Veterans should definately get it for a discounted price. (notice I did not say free) to all the people who try to twist up what people say and try to make them seem rediculous.

Posted by: SamuelV.7486

SamuelV.7486

So…
Base game 0€

But…absolutely no concession for old players buying into the expansion? That seems skewed. I’m not averse to buying it, but at least give me some added incentive if everyone else is going to be getting what I purchased free.

You got to play for couple of years before everyone else. Most vet have played more then 100+ or even 1000+ hr. Thats alot of play time for 60$.

I don’t know why some people are mad. There is gonna be more players to play with. People are reasoning like childs because some people will enjoy a game that they had to pay for 3 years ago…. Plus, its only 60$.

Posted by: Kormeg.2469

Kormeg.2469

So…
Base game 0€

I understand the thought behind it. For new players it’ll become increasingly inaccessible as expansions come out. It’s easy enough to pay $50-$60 once every few years, less so to pay $120-$180 all at once. I understand where they’re coming from.

This is honestly the most reasonable comment ive seen all afternoon against the decision. I’m honestly probably going to buy HoT once I see how raids actually play out, but I could definitely get behind reducing the cost HoT for ppl that bought the core.

See it this way:
Why are they implementing the f2p? – To get more ppl to buy HoT without having to spend money on the core they don’t really want.

Why are people griping? – Cuz they see it as them paying more money than others ‘unfairly’

What I now think could have been better? – Soften the blow. Brand new f2p players buy HoT for ~$60, older players buy the expansion for like ~$30.

No the suggestion is not equal, and yes Anet does make less money off of it, but I think people would like it a lot more. Idk, just a thought

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

I want to taste these salty tears of all the QQers who think the game is ruined now. GIB ME UR TEARZ PLOX!

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Had some fun welcoming some new players. Looks like I wasn’t the only one there.

https://youtu.be/1fmgJgSwZYk

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

However f2p is a little bit an exaggeration. That’s more like a free trial. The amount of restrictions is insane compared to a normal f2p.

I’m not saying this should change. I’d like even more restrictions.

barbariccia.9801

So…
Base game 0€

You got to play for couple of years before everyone else. Most vet have played more then 100+ or even 1000+ hr. Thats alot of play time for 60$.

I don’t know why some people are mad. There is gonna be more players to play with. People are reasoning like childs because some people will enjoy a game that they had to pay for 3 years ago…. Plus, its only 60$.

i have payed less 50€ FFXIV and my playtime over 10 times compared to GW2. You see the point? This “new players” can play the game. If they like it they can keep playing. If they don’t they can quit.. without wasting any money.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

However f2p is a little bit an exaggeration. That’s more like a free trial. The amount of restrictions is insane compared to a normal f2p.

I’m not saying this should change. I’d like even more restrictions.

There are like 3 restrictions… What are you talking about?

killyouback.4092

So…
Base game 0€

You call my reasoning childish, and end your comment with ’it’s only $60’. I’m glad you live in a world where $60 isn’t a lot of money. Maybe I can visit you there someday. Today isn’t that day though.

dane.4638

You cant say that you got your moneys worth for 3 years as I have been buying games a long time both console and pc. When I buy a game its for good. Heck some games I will go more than 3 years without playing and go back to them as theyre my games. I have replayed ff7 many times over the years and intend to be able to play it again if I so feel as Ive bought it.

Heylel.2109

Okay. I’m not gonna lie, I AM a little bothered by it. Mostly b/c it seemed we were promised continuing and changing content, and at release ANet was adamant that there would never be expansions with this game (or so I seem to recall).

But I don’t see how else ANet could handle an expansion. What would be the point in releasing an expansion and giving it to their current customers for free? That’s unreasonable to expect a company not to be able to profit off their work. I don’t feel that it’s “owed” to me. And the only way I can look at it is that the $60 I paid in 2012 was for the last three years of game I have enjoyed. I can keep playing that content without buying HoT. They’re not taking that away from me. But if I want to play the new content, I have to pay $50 just like everyone else. I don’t see how it could be any other way. So, you either buy it or you don’t.

To be honest they could have made the expansion free and use it to promote fresh blood to join the game. HoT retail version could simply have been something to save new players from massive downloads.

They instead choose to give the game to newcomers for Free, which mean they expect a bigger money return from Veterans buying the expansion than from new blood purchasing the Core Game + HoT. Even worse, the game is going Free to Play, which mean that the appeal has even lost more points if they need to offer a trial.

In the end, they’re trying to make cash over the Veterans, despite all the nice words in the ‘letter’.

Aluna Darklady.3165

You cant say that you got your moneys worth for 3 years as I have been buying games a long time both console and pc. When I buy a game its for good. Heck some games I will go more than 3 years without playing and go back to them as theyre my games. I have replayed ff7 many times over the years and intend to be able to play it again if I so feel as Ive bought it.

But Dane, you still have this game, too. You still have GW2. You only have to pay if you want the new content.

So by that logic, are you also offended and upset when a game you paid $60 for XBox 360 drops down to $10 in the bargain bin 3 years later?

~Mera Darklady~
Legion of Honour [XIII]
Elementalist

Posted by: Zai Quixtab.7836

Zai Quixtab.7836

RIP gw2

also no price drop for users who already own GW2. bullcrap

It ’s totally unfair for those of us royal player since day one to have to buy an expansion full price when the core game we paid for is now free!

I demand 50% off HOT for existing players!!!

SamuelV.7486

So…
Base game 0€

You call my reasoning childish, and end your comment with ’it’s only $60’. I’m glad you live in a world where $60 isn’t a lot of money. Maybe I can visit you there someday. Today isn’t that day though.

How do you even have a computer good enough to play GW2 if 60$ is too much? GW2 has been out for 3 years. 3 YEARS for 60$. Thats 20$ a year. And 0.60 cents per hour if you played for at least 100hr. THATS NOT ALOT if you compare it to any other hobby.

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

Wow. The new topic I created has been moved into a totally unrelated thread

Looks like we don’t welcome the new players after all

dane.4638

But Dane, you still have this game, too. You still have GW2. You only have to pay if you want the new content.

So by that logic, are you also offended and upset when a game you paid $60 for XBox 360 drops down to $10 in the bargain bin 3 years later?

Not so. That was in response to the comment that 3 years was full moneys worth. I dont care how much others pay as long as i can still play

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Ok, so the core game is going free to play, I read about the restrictions to these accounts, and that’s all good, it encourages people to play the game and maybe move on and buy HoT, so far so good,

There is no doubt that making a F2P game will encourage the masses of bots to reappear into the game, my concern is, if these accounts are played as normal to level 80 and then end up in places like the Cursed Shore, Silverwastes, etc, what exactly is your plan for that, as I think some zones in the game have been nerfed to within an inch of there lives with the loot drops, and masses of bots, may lead to even more nerfed loot drops.

Please don’t nerf our loot, its already been battered so badly its lead to mindless drones running around SW, and don’t push all the loot into the new PvE maps, don’t forget about the other end game content zones, FGS, CS, DT, SW……

Posted by: patemma.3674

patemma.3674

sighs, shuffles off into the corner, curls into a fetal ball

please don’t become archeage, please don’t become eso, please don’t become archeage, please don’t become eso….

gets up, trundles off to grab an ale to toast days gone by…

There is nothing better than good beer and nothing worse than bad beer…

Posted by: petyr baelish.9675

petyr baelish.9675

Making the core game free to play is to the benefit of gw2 and, ultimately, to ALL of it’s players. With the restrictions that are currently in place it will be incredibly hard to abuse the free accounts.

People that complain about it being free for new players, while they paid for it, are incredibly selfish and can’t see the bigger picture. Even if you’ve only bought the game half a year ago, you still should have gotten your money’s worth out of it. Unless you dropped the game right after you bought it.

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

There seems to be a lot of people not reading the restrictions of f2p players before posting. And I feel like it would be great if those f2p accounts also had a level restriction like, let’s say 30-50?

Aluna Darklady.3165

Not so. That was in response to the comment that 3 years was full moneys worth. I dont care how much others pay as long as i can still play

Okay, fair point. I concede.

~Mera Darklady~
Legion of Honour [XIII]
Elementalist

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

Didn’t we already had the same discussion when HoT pre-purchase was announced about the price? So people are not upset because the game is free now but because someone will pay less today for something they bought 3 years ago.

dane.4638

I definately cant afford to upgrade all 6 accounts Ive bought for me and my family at this price so none of us get to play hot. Thanks a lot for valuing my support for your franchise over the last 10 years and the well over 1000 dollars Ive spent on your games, expansions and gems!

killyouback.4092

So…
Base game 0€

How do you even have a computer good enough to play GW2 if 60$ is too much? GW2 has been out for 3 years. 3 YEARS for 60$. Thats 20$ a year. And 0.60 cents per hour if you played for at least 100hr. THATS NOT ALOT if you compare it to any other hobby.

Because life changes a lot in 3 years. For me a car that used to work fine reached the end of its life span, and needs to go into the shop annually at best. For me college happened and horrific loans built up while study prevented me from working during the semester. Relatives can fall into financial trouble and need help. Injuries can happen. Robberies can happen. There are any number of reasons in the real world why people couldn’t spend $60 lightly.

Posted by: Dragonfeu.4356

Dragonfeu.4356

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

All good! Restricted TP access, can’t access guild bank, can’t mail items, restricted access to chat so no bots. It’s fine, this will work out.

THE ONLY REAL PROBLEM, IMO, IS THAT NEW PLAYERS DON’T REALISE THAT THIS IS A TRIAL/RESTRICTED ACCOUNT, MAKE SURE TO LET THEM KNOW AND DON’T OVER DO IT ON THE REMINDERS TO BUY THE CORE-GAME, IT GETS ANNOYING AF

Apart from that, good move anet, make the trials account thing upgrade as accessible to players as the gem store, small reminders but not annoying popups every login. Also, make sure that you have restrictions on the gem store or the playerbase who has the core ( not trial ) game will get kittened off as gem prices will definitely rise. Also, make sure you can’t get the core ( non trial ) game off the gem store or everything you just did was for naught: They don’t pay money and they negatively affect the economy/gem trade ( if everyone who has trials does it ). Unless you want to make it expensive ( 150g ) but not overly.

Peace

SamuelV.7486

I definately cant afford to upgrade all 6 accounts Ive bought for me and my family at this price so none of us get to play hot. Thanks a lot for valuing my support for your franchise over the last 10 years and the well over 1000 dollars Ive spent on your games, expansions and gems!

Yeah, but it’s like arguing when there is a steam sale going on and you bougth game on release lol…

barbariccia.9801

So…
Base game 0€

Because life changes a lot in 3 years. For me a car that used to work fine reached the end of its life span, and needs to go into the shop annually at best. For me college happened and horrific loans built up while study prevented me from working during the semester. Relatives can fall into financial trouble and need help. Injuries can happen. Robberies can happen. There are any number of reasons in the real world why people couldn’t spend $60 lightly.

+1

Posted by: Dreypa.1758

Dreypa.1758

All this “I feel cheated because I paid for the game 3 years ago” is ridiculous and irrelevant.
What matters is that usually F2P games are hell. Lots of immature behaviour, trolling and just generally mean people.
People who use these free accounts don’t have a lot of money and have too much free time. Meaning usually young people.
I’m sure they completely forgot about WvW. This kills my favourite game mode.
This is also the end of our “friendliest MMO community”.
I’ve spent thousands of hours in GW1 and 2 and I’ve never been this worried.
For once I hope I’m wrong.

Edit. From pvp perspective this could actually be a very good thing. It needs more players and free to play with the new league system could grow the pvp side a lot. Problem is, we must have separate soloq.

(edited by Dreypa.1758)

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

It’s amazing how many people feel that they have a saying against ANet’s decisions and are entitled to something.

Please remind yourself that as a player you are worth less than the dust laying down under the carpet in ANet’s office. Just because you played the game since day one, paid $60 for the game, spent $1000 in gems, etc…doesn’t make you a shareholder or an investor in ANet. They can do what they want with their game and you can go cry in a corner. Afterall all MMOs are the same busienss model and year after year we see more MMOs failing or going free to play. If you haven’t been exposed to the business model before then you can learn the hard way now.

ANet and its management might not have any clues to what they are doing but its not yours or my place to judge them or make their decisions for them. Personally I was burned by ANet a while back and expected this to happen and if you still had high hopes for this studio then I am sorry for you and you only have yourself to blame.

There will always be supporters of the game but today that number might have been slightly reduced.

“It’s just business, nothing personal”.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

Just wanna let you know that our friends from other games were really happy for this opportunity and we already convinced some of them to join us in the epic world of Tyria. And more of them are on their way.
As far as I can speak for them, they really appreciate this! Thanks!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

To be honest they could have made the expansion free and use it to promote fresh blood to join the game. HoT retail version could simply have been something to save new players from massive downloads.

They instead choose to give the game to newcomers for Free, which mean they expect a bigger money return from Veterans buying the expansion than from new blood purchasing the Core Game + HoT. Even worse, the game is going Free to Play, which mean that the appeal has even lost more points if they need to offer a trial.

In the end, they’re trying to make cash over the Veterans, despite all the nice words in the ‘letter’.

Considering the restrictions make it seem more like a trial version than a free to play game I think they’re expecting to make money from free players by drawing them in with a free account and then persuading them to buy the game to get rid of the restrictions and access the new content.

With some people it could be effective. I’ve got friends who I think would love this game but who wouldn’t buy it because they’re not sure, now they can find out.

Likewise they’re trying to avoid expansions being seen as a barrier to entry. I’ve never played WoW and if I wanted to start today I’d have to pay the equivalent of approximately 5 games to get the stuff everyone is playing now. I’m not going to do that. If I was that interested I’d have bought it years ago.

That’s the thinking Anet want to avoid.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: PoodleDoodleDoo.3247

PoodleDoodleDoo.3247

Indeed. I agree, we should pay for the game. I just cant see why new players shouldn’t. We could turn it around and say they are paying for the core game but getting HoT for free since the price is the same for both games. All I’m saying is that new players who, maybe, tried F2P and wants to buy the game should pay for both games, just like we have to.

This signaure is currently undergoing maintenance.

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

All good! Restricted TP access, can’t access guild bank, can’t mail items, restricted access to chat so no bots. It’s fine, this will work out.

THE ONLY REAL PROBLEM, IMO, IS THAT NEW PLAYERS DON’T REALISE THAT THIS IS A TRIAL/RESTRICTED ACCOUNT, MAKE SURE TO LET THEM KNOW AND DON’T OVER DO IT ON THE REMINDERS TO BUY THE CORE-GAME, IT GETS ANNOYING AF

Apart from that, good move anet, make the trials account thing upgrade as accessible to players as the gem store, small reminders but not annoying popups every login. Also, make sure that you have restrictions on the gem store or the playerbase who has the core ( not trial ) game will get kittened off as gem prices will definitely rise. Also, make sure you can’t get the core ( non trial ) game off the gem store or everything you just did was for naught: They don’t pay money and they negatively affect the economy/gem trade ( if everyone who has trials does it ). Unless you want to make it expensive ( 150g ) but not overly.

Peace

They can sell gems but can’t buy them with gold. But they can receive mail of items and gold.