Play for Free Confirmed [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372

It would have been a good time to relax some of the build-in annoyances for the core game for b2p-players in tandem with establishing the f2p restrictions? (Bigger inventory/ more bank space, easier wardrobe change (no more transmutation) and probably other stuff too that I can’t think of now.

So much left that I wanted to see…

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

In-Game Mail:

Can only send to mutual friends
Can’t send gold or items

Please make weapons and armor mail-able. Why? So if a free player has a weapon he can’t use, but his friend can, then he can mail the item to him.

Make it restricted like the Black Lion TP is instead of locking it entirely.

Weapons and armor aren’t stackable. So sending 5 yellow weapons and armors won’t do much to encourage RMT. Maybe just restrict it to crafting materials or anything that can stack and expensive exotic items/legendaries/precursors.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

You want your friends weapons? Buy the game

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

All this doom and gloom, I think F2P core is quite nice. They should do full F2P for GW Prophecies and PVP access too. Free players BTFOing communities is such a ridiculous myth. It’s never happened. Frugal or poor people aren’t automatically bad people. There’s a lot of people playing the competition’s games because things like TERA and Neverwinter have lower barrier to entry. Arenanet is doing away with that barrier to entry. Those games do not have lower quality communities at all. There’s just as many kitten hats and trolls in pre free to play GW2 as there is in the free play competition. Get over your wallet and be happy for those who can now enjoy the game you love who couldn’t before.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Don’t worry, the economy will be ok. We put a lot of effort into keeping it protected.

Uh huh, sure……

You uh, read the restrictions on what they can and cant do, right?

Yeah, but I’m not stupid enough to trust that Anet is going to have the community’s best interest in mind.

My issue is not with Anet, but with Nexon’s influence. If you don’t know their history of destroying every game they touch with crazy pay walls then you should look it up. And make no mistake Nexon had some influence here.

Nexon doesn’t have or ever had any influence. Same old crazy talk from someone who doesn’t understand how corporations work. And to beat you to your next crazy talking points.

• Nexon never had any seats on the board of directors of NCSOFT and when they tried to earlier this year they failed. They have no influence.
  • Crystin Cox worked for ANet before she worked for Nexon and was hired back before Nexon bought stock in NCSOFT.

You get two tin foil hats.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Taiyoroku.1028

Taiyoroku.1028

Ok so my wife and i buy the 100 US version of the HoT, how many free accounts do we have pay? i found this son insulting to veterans. i hope theres some kind of refund or someting, been the core game free for hot just look terrible, but knowing that the wolhe F, thing is free with no really restrictions? how about hackers, how about goldspamers, i…. im so kitten right now, HOT was a epic Scam… I JUST kittenG HOPE THAT 3 YEARS FROM NOW MY FRIENDS GET CORE+HOT FOR FREE AND HELL IM NOT GONNA PAY FOR OTHER EXPANSION ON THIS GAME… I DONT LIKE TO GET RIP OFF!

Posted by: SkullProX.7083

SkullProX.7083

NO, NO, NO, NO AND NO!

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Limited scenarios in which this would be useful, open for abuse, slippery slope, etc. The restrictions are fine, and could actually be limited further with WvW.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Ok so my wife and i buy the 100 US version of the HoT, how many free accounts do we have pay? i found this son insulting to veterans. i hope theres some kind of refund or someting, been the core game free for hot just look terrible, but knowing that the wolhe F, thing is free with no really restrictions? how about hackers, how about goldspamers, i…. im so kitten right now, HOT was a epic Scam… I JUST kittenG HOPE THAT 3 YEARS FROM NOW MY FRIENDS GET CORE+HOT FOR FREE AND HELL IM NOT GONNA PAY FOR OTHER EXPANSION ON THIS GAME… I DONT LIKE TO GET RIP OFF!

There are restrictions for the free accounts. Quit raging over nothing, and read up on the info.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/play-for-free-today/

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

In a single word, no.

They want people to buy the game. Get use to it, it’s not going to change.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

briggah.7910

Caps lock key seems to be broken. Don’t buy HoT, buy a new keyboard.

Player Vs Everyone

SkullProX.7083

Limited scenarios in which this would be useful, open for abuse, slippery slope, etc. The restrictions are fine, and could actually be limited further with WvW.

With www, pvp, dungeons, and decrease max lv to 60.!

Posted by: Heylel.2109

Heylel.2109

To the quitters, can I have your gold please?

Nobody is quitting.. They are all just full of hot air.

You sure about this, right?

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

As was already said, Anet wants these free account players to buy the game. Taking away one of the incentives to do so wouldn’t be a good idea (for anyone, really).

Posted by: Taiyoroku.1028

Taiyoroku.1028

Caps lock key seems to be broken. Don’t buy HoT, buy a new keyboard.

actually i already get the dam thing 200 bucks no lest, so yes im kitten

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Negative, ghost rider.

It’s an odd scenario you’re presenting no less. Two F2P friends wanting to send each other gear? These are some learned newbies, seeing as it came out just today.

You’re obviously not a F2P user since you’re posting here. If you have F2P friends, why not help them out yourself?

(edited by CETheLucid.3964)

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

Just no, imagine all those farmbots sending back golden and exotic items so they can be salvaged or sold.

briggah.7910

Why would you quit when you can now play for free? bahahaha so many grumpy people in this game

Player Vs Everyone

Behellagh.1468

Anyone actually tested that yet. The F2P FAQ only says that they can’t send items or gold, nothing about receiving them.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Jax.4903

Jax.4903

I have mixed feelings about GW2 going Free-to-Play. From a business perspective, it would have been smarter for A-Net to do a level cap at 60 because it would have forced a purchase decision and questioned “Did you enjoy GW2 enough to purchase the full game?” As it stands now, many players will level a character of two to 80 and move onto greener free MMORPG pastures. Less chat options and inventory space are really not that restrictive to the casual, bypassing player

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Can’t any company in this industry maintain its business and artistic integrity? This crap happens so much these days I am seriously on the cusp of giving up on video games period. Back to chapter books and pen & paper RPGs at this point, their creators don’t rip out your beating heart to keep investors happy.

Well there are some indie companies but I don’t think any of them have made an MMO yet.

Pen & paper RPGs can be played forever (your way :P) no matter what the creators do!

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Why would you quit when you can now play for free? bahahaha so many grumpy people in this game

It doesn’t matter, quitting holds no meaning in B2P/F2P games. If you stop playing then you can just start again whenever. Its only when it’s a sub based game that quitting actually means something.

Heylel.2109

Because, even if for free, I wouldn’t desire to play a game I consider unappealing and\or unfairly expensive for what it has to offer. Even if I can play for free, why I need to spend time in-game if that time wont bring me any enjoyement?

It’s not just me, there are many other people I know that feel the same and we all ended up uninstalling the game to make space on our HDDs. I could even give you more detailed reasons about mine, and others, discontent about the game. But it would be wasted on someone whom sensibilities allow him to disregard others’ opinions by cheesy statements.

The forum may be full of grumpy people in your eyes, in mine it’s better to look grumpy than to look that cheap thing of being whom believes that a cheesy phrase and him believing to be cool would entitle him everyone’s attentions and admiration.

It doesn’t matter, quitting holds no meaning in B2P/F2P games. If you stop playing then you can just start again whenever. Its only when it’s a sub based game that quitting actually means something.

Indulge me, but you’re partially wrong.

When a significant part of a server population quits, no matter if it’s Free to Play or Fee to Play, things will become grim for the company. It’s not only the missing income from the fee which can take down a game, there are outside forums, word of mouth, social network. If someone quits it won’t generally do a good advertisment to the game, on the contrary if asked about his opinion he would not advice people to play it, or in this case to upgrade to either Core or HoT.

Especially if it’s a Veteran who had spent many hours, what you’d think new players would say if such a person came to tell them that ANet doesn’t care and that all their hopes are going to be let down in the future?

(edited by Heylel.2109)

Behellagh.1468

I have mixed feelings about GW2 going Free-to-Play. From a business perspective, it would have been smarter for A-Net to do a level cap at 60 because it would have forced a purchase decision and questioned “Did you enjoy GW2 enough to purchase the full game?” As it stands now, many players will level a character of two to 80 and move onto greener free MMORPG pastures. Less chat options and inventory space are really not that restrictive to the casual, bypassing player

Since the only choice a F2P has is buy HoT it doesn’t matter. Unless they are totally satisfied running under the various restrictions when they are 80, they are likely to buy HoT.

RIP City of Heroes

briggah.7910

Because, even if for free, I wouldn’t desire to play a game I consider unappealing and\or unfairly expensive for what it has to offer. Even if I can play for free, why I need to spend time in-game if that time wont bring me any enjoyement?

It’s not just me, there are many other people I know that feel the same and we all ended up uninstalling the game to make space on our HDDs. I could even give you more detailed reasons about mine, and others, discontent about the game. But it would be wasted on someone whom sensibilities allow him to disregard others’ opinions by cheesy statements.

The forum may be full of grumpy people in your eyes, in mine it’s better to look grumpy than to look that cheap thing of being whom believes that a cheesy phrase and him believing to be cool would entitle him everyone’s attentions and admiration.

Well since you uninstalled the game already there is no need to keep coming here to the forums to spread your negative out look on things.

Player Vs Everyone

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Boy is that super convenient for Anet, nope, no way gem store is changing, for sure.

I am not 100% certain but that looks like it would make it cheaper to buy gems with gold. Good for ANet? Sure but also good for paid players.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

With www, pvp, dungeons, and decrease max lv to 60.!

That would only encourage players to shun F2P users.

Ideally, people won’t be tools and use F2P accounts to mess with WvW. It’s still too new to tell what’s going to happen, so it’s up to the players what happens in that regard.

If it becomes a problem, simply restrict F2P accounts to the Edge of The Mists for WvW. Issue is solved instantly.

Anyone actually tested that yet. The F2P FAQ only says that they can’t send items or gold, nothing about receiving them.

I haven’t, no. I assumed that much. I could be wrong.

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

I’m also not sure we’ll see them relying more heavily on the gem store. This is essentially a glorified free trial—the end goal isn’t to have a population of long-term F2P players, but to bring in a bunch of new players who will eventually buy Heart of Thorns.

What I mean is, I think we can expect them to funnel new skins to the gem store at about the same rate they do now (i.e. too much, but clearly we put up with it already).

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

What is the limit of the block list? players will have alot of bots to block XD

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Bonobo.1470

Bonobo.1470

What I have seen sofar: people heavily arguing in LA, and a gem price that went up from 95 gold to 100 gold for 400 gems. On a more positive note: the raids look very promising and awesome!

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

If you just purchased the core game (original game) you can still refund if your not happy about F2P.

Refund of core game purchase
In addition to our standard 30 day refund policy on game purchases, we’re offering automatic refunds to all players who purchased the core Guild Wars 2 game through buy.guildwars2.com or in-game during the months leading up to pre-purchase. All accounts that meet the following criteria will receive an automatic refund for Guild Wars 2 core game purchases:

The core Guild Wars 2 serial code was purchased from buy.guildwars2.com or in-game and applied to your account between January 23, 2015 and June 16, 2015
The Heart of Thorns serial code was pre-purchased from buy.guildwars2.com or in-game and applied by July 31, 2015

Heylel.2109

Well since you uninstalled the game already there is no need to keep coming here to the forums to spread your negative out look on things.

As an owner of a paid account, and believing that my feedback could reach other like minded voices so to be heard better by ANet, I think I have every right to come to the forums and express my opinion. As negative as it may be, but I understand than some minds can’t accept life isn’t not just fancy and nice, there are also negative things.

So, since you’re evidently one of such minds, there is no need for you to address me anymore.

Posted by: Aruc.8530

Aruc.8530

And you’re not doing the same trying to be funny without being ? or at least contribute to the discussion ?, the point of Heylel , is that Anet is not thinking of the veterans, they could at least give a discount on HoT or do something to really appreciate the years of support these players .

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

I was just wondering what will happens if free accounts can have 3 slots instead of 2. I mean, they already have not bad restrictions, and I still remember how I felt when I had only 5 slots and I couldnt create all professions (actually I have 11 slots). So, maybe 3 slots can be a little bit more user-friendly and more people can come into this game?

M I L K B O I S

briggah.7910

As an owner of a paid account, and believing that my feedback could reach other like minded voices so to be heard better by ANet, I think I have every right to come to the forums and express my opinion. As negative as it may be, but I understand than some minds can’t accept life isn’t not just fancy and nice, there are also negative things.

So, since you’re evidently one of such minds, there is no need for you to address me anymore.

So what positive feedback have you supplied since you quit this game? I’d guess ZERO, ZIP, NOTTA.

Also you are not my Dad. You can’t tell me who to address.

Player Vs Everyone

SkullProX.7083

My only concern about this decision is, usually f2p areas/servers are hell in other games. Lots of immature behaviour, which makes serious players rush into paid accounts or member servers. The only problem is, we can’t do that, since f2p is mixed with paid accounts. The only option would be to hide in HoT area after the release, but I also would love to do my daily world bosses without having to deal with “f2p scum”.

Totally agree with you, speically the last 2 words

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

2 slots is more than enough for free accounts.

SkullProX.7083

I absolutely hate this change, and I can not express amount of my hate toward ANET’s policy tonight and toward this specific free-to-play change.

I haven’t expected this announcement to be so fkd up and devastating.
But ANET did it like they always do.

This means GW2 failed as mmo, as any other that switched to F2P policy shortly after(TERA, TESO etc…). It failed because there was no end-game content in the time to entertain us vetarns, but there where made unnecessary changes to whats not broken(TP, NPE, STORY CHANGES, INVENTORY, UI).

This means that developers will receive less money hence new players will be 10 year old whining kids that will resent everyone around and poison the community.

I, who played GW2 since the very start, for 3 YEARS AND INVESTED QUITE AMOUNT OF TIME AND REAL MONEY INTO GW2 ADDITIONALLY , only to get ugly looking skin on my charr(which has worst armors out there) and middle finger in my face saying:

THANK YOU FOR INVESTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY IN US, ALL WE CAN DO IS GIVE YOU THIS SKIN. NO GEMS, NO SPECIAL ITEMS NOR ABILITY TO DECIDE WHAT I COULD CHOSE AS 3YEARS OLD GIFT + VETERANSHIP.

But hey, thanks for your money. Thank you for buying infinite SAB coin that you will never use again. Because you guys bought this game we decided to make it FREE TO PLAY so 10 year olds could join. Lets not make it even 10, no, 5 bucks. But nope, NO refunds or kitten given whatsoever.

We can expect much more toxic community , economy fall and above and community driven by 10 year olds. Thanks ANET.

DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW I FEEL AFTER 3 YEARS OF LOVE WITH THIS GAME?

I feel so betrayed. So brutally FUC**D. All this love toward this game.. all gone….

TL;DR: Just another ex-fan that feels fkd by latest change of ANET. RIP GW2, you will be missed.

+111 well said

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I think 2 slots is fine, as far as improvements go, I think they should map chat in a restricted form.
Partly for this reason I posted earlier.

Just read a good point on reddit.
I think F2P players should be allowed to use map chat with some restrictions. (unlocked at a certain level, and a short timer in between messages)

I can see it now.

“Why didn’t you call the event?”
“I’m F2P.”

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I was just wondering what will happens if free accounts can have 3 slots instead of 2. I mean, they already have not bad restrictions, and I still remember how I felt when I had only 5 slots and I couldnt create all professions (actually I have 11 slots). So, maybe 3 slots can be a little bit more user-friendly and more people can come into this game?

ANet wants them to buy the game. They want more slots, buy them from the gem store, or pay for HoT and get 3 more.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Zalladi.4652

(Snip)

TL;DR: Just another ex-fan that feels fkd by latest change of ANET. RIP GW2, you will be missed.

I presume you didn’t read the list of restrictions for free accounts, did you?

briggah.7910

And you’re not doing the same trying to be funny without being ? or at least contribute to the discussion ?, the point of Heylel , is that Anet is not thinking of the veterans, they could at least give a discount on HoT or do something to really appreciate the years of support these players .

Don’t even get me started on veteran players LOL you have gotten so much more out of this game then anyone with a free restricted version will ever get or even the free core version with the purchase of HoT.

Player Vs Everyone

SkullProX.7083

I think 2 is already too much, and as everything which supports F2P players, my answer is:NO

EDIT: Why does so many people try to help f2p players?? You got the game, why do you care about them? They didnt buy it, they shouldnt get anything extra…

Bonobo.1470

(Snip)

I presume you didn’t read the list of restrictions for free accounts, did you?

Why do you think Anet made all these restrictions in the first place?
F2p usually attracts bots, scammers, shouting kids, trolls and other people you don’t want in this game. That’s why a lot of people are concerned.

Zalladi.4652

EDIT: Why does so many people try to help f2p players?? You got the game, why do you care about them? They didnt buy it, they shouldnt get anything extra…

That question goes both ways; why are people against f2p players? It allows more people to try the game and if it is for them, they will purchase it and keep the population going.

Posted by: floude.5291

floude.5291

Zalladi.4652

F2p usually attracts bots, scammers, shouting kids, trolls and other people you don’t want in this game. That’s why a lot of people are concerned.

I assume that the majority of immature players will try the game, see all of these restrictions and become so annoyed by them that they won’t stick around for long. Mature players will understand the restrictions and if the game is for them, they will purchase the full edition.

At least that is how I hope the situation will come about, and I understand that it is not entirely likely to happen.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Also gw1 +10years still not free…..

GW3 is out there.. peaking at the window.

>:]

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

People are getting way too emotional over this, from business perspective I think this was a very good decision, and a fair one.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Bonobo.1470

I assume that the majority of immature players will try the game, see all of these restrictions and become so annoyed by them that they won’t stick around for long. Mature players will understand the restrictions and if the game is for them, they will purchase the full edition.

At least that is how I hope the situation will come about, and I understand that it is not entirely likely to happen.

Well, personally I only had bad experiences with games that went f2p or had f2p servers. I can’t think of one game that has a nice f2p community. Now the veteran players are forced to mix with the f2p players (sorry for all those nice f2p newcomers, I really don’t want to insult you). That’s why I am worried about this move from Anet.