PvE Dueling

PvE Dueling

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Liberis.9573

Liberis.9573

If they don’t put pve dueling in, I think it would be worth while to do simple 1v1 tournaments in the game with rankings and everything.

I wouldn’t mind seeing something like that, but pve dueling is much better imo.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

hey guys. I’m gunna bump this thread when i receive my first duel request in Wildstar. I’ve been surrounded by dozens of people at any given point in the PvE world, but no duel requests yet

So, i will let you guys know when i get my first duel solicitation. And of course i will let you know when i get my first dose of harassment, duel spam, map chat abuse, what have you.

Hopefully, my own experience can dispel some of the myths surrounding the negative and “inevitable” consequences of a game with open world dueling.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

hey guys. I’m gunna bump this thread when i receive my first duel request in Wildstar. I’ve been surrounded by dozens of people at any given point in the PvE world, but no duel requests yet

So, i will let you guys know when i get my first duel solicitation. And of course i will let you know when i get my first dose of harassment, duel spam, map chat abuse, what have you.

Hopefully, my own experience can dispel some of the myths surrounding the negative and “inevitable” consequences of a game with open world dueling.

I’m not against duelling but one person not being spammed/harassed with duel requests is hardly enough evidence to dispel this myth.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Please enjoy your time in Wildstar, but if you don’t mind just leave this game alone.

My Hope is that the pro duel crowd will enjoy Wildstar so much that they will forget about us here.

Edit: clarity

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

I’m not against duelling but one person not being spammed/harassed with duel requests is hardly enough evidence to dispel this myth.

hey man. Case studies have there place, too!

If anything, i can dispell the “absolute” claims. As in, if duels were implemented there would “absolutely” be widespread abuse. I understand that those claims are very unrealistic in the first place, but you gotta start somewhere!

There is nothing to fear, brothers! The ability to duel doesn’t equal the inevitability of harassment! There is still hope!

PvE Dueling

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Scrambles of course you are a bit biased (to say the least) and have an agenda to support so how do we know you will provide reliable data? While not really possible we would need a larger sample from players that are neutral on the position in order to receive more reliable information. But hey if you want to go ahead with your “project” good for you I guess.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

PvE Dueling

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

Perhaps using the word “Myth” was a poor choice; as using that logic alone applies both ways.

In several games I’ve played, the fool following me around bouncing like an idiot spamming Duel Requests “Dispels the Myth” that it doesn’t happen, or wont happen.
Does it mean it will happen to me again? Maybe, maybe not. All I’m asking for is a preemptive ability to stop it before it happens to me (again) vs having to entertain such morons for months till a Auto-Decline is added.
In other words, any one persons experience in any online game will be vastly different than another’s; especially the moment another person is involved.

Perhaps phrasing the comment to more like “I’ll post my personal experience” as other’s have also done..?

PvE Dueling

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

hey man. Case studies have there place, too!

If anything, i can dispell the “absolute” claims. As in, if duels were implemented there would “absolutely” be widespread abuse. I understand that those claims are very unrealistic in the first place, but you gotta start somewhere!

There is nothing to fear, brothers! The ability to duel doesn’t equal the inevitability of harassment! There is still hope!

chuckle

There’s still hope for world peace too… We just aren’t holding our breath….

As the GW1, and now the GW2, player base has shown time and time again, if it can be exploited, it will be. No ands, ifs, or buts about it. Someone, somewhere (likely multiple someones) will do it. That’s just how it seems to work.

Such a feature, if it has the ability to be abused, will be abused. If such abuse where not an issue to be considered, they wouldn’t include anti-abuse coding in current features, there ould be do no need.

It may not happen to you. Hell, it may not happen to me. However, it will happen to somebody. Likely multiple somebodies. All I desire is that those people be given the correct tools to deal with such abuse, and GW2 does not presently supply such tools with any adequacy. Now, should that change, I’m quite flexible in re-evaluating my ‘no dueling’ stance.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

Scrambles of course you are a bit biased (to say the least) and have an agenda to support so how do we know you will provide reliable data? While not really possible we would need a larger sample from players that are neutral on the position in order to receive more reliable information. But hey if you want to go ahead with your “project” good for you I guess.

Haha, yes i may be a bit bias (because i enjoy dueling) but i have also tried to approach this realistically. If i knew nothing about dueling besides what i’ve read from this thread i would have at least expected to have been called a noob by now for declining. But i haven’t even had the chance to decline!

I don’t know what type of larger sample data one would expect to see. Maybe if i saw threads like “remove dueling from x game, it is ruining the community!”

The only time i’ve heard people complain about duel based harassment are in games that don’t even have duels. You can find these threads for GW2 and ESO. I never heard anyone complain about duels in games that actually have duels.

PvE Dueling

JustTrogdor.7892

The only time i’ve heard people complain about duel based harassment are in games that don’t even have duels. You can find these threads for GW2 and ESO. I never heard anyone complain about duels in games that actually have duels.

Perhaps it has to do with people that enjoy PvE dueling are attracted to games that have that as a feature. Given that, they are used to the things negative and positive that are onboard with such a system and have less to complain about. Obviously, people that play games without PvE dueling have a right to defend against it. Maybe some of the anti-dueling crowd gravitated to games without it due to their experiences in games that had dueling.

Edit: Because the point below is what I’m talking about:

Now however I just avoid any game that has open world dueling instead searching out games that either don’t have it or segregate it to a designated area.

See, it works both ways.

As stated before, harassment isn’t my number one issue. I can deal with kids that want to act like tools. However, I have other issues with open world PvE that I have stated many times.

The Burninator

PvE Dueling

Tommyknocker.6089

Haha, yes i may be a bit bias (because i enjoy dueling) but i have also tried to approach this realistically. If i knew nothing about dueling besides what i’ve read from this thread i would have at least expected to have been called a noob by now for declining. But i haven’t even had the chance to decline!

I don’t know what type of larger sample data one would expect to see. Maybe if i saw threads like “remove dueling from x game, it is ruining the community!”

There could be many reasons for that. One being that after being harassed said player reports offender though official channels avoiding the garbage talking inevitable on the forums. I know that after being harassed and grieved (corpse camped) in WoW (30 day trial) I decided to just remake my character on a PvE only server.

Now however I just avoid any game that has open world dueling instead searching out games that either don’t have it or segregate it to a designated area.

PvE Dueling

LanfearShadowflame.3189

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2913052473
https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/harassment-via-duel-challenge.180927/
http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=42227
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/12330703293

Just a couple, quickly googled… lots more. Feel free to google…

Complaints about harassment from not just dueling, but from inspect commands and dps meters too. But we have no cause for concern…

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I don’t think dueling would be such a bad feature in GW2. I wouldn’t mind having it, but I’d rather they spend their time working on more substantial things like bigger and better (and more permanent!) living world releases. Not to mention further fixing bugs, rehauling boss encounters across the game, and adding no-duh features like choose-able districts (megaserver instances) and trait/build templates.

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

Perhaps it has to do with people that enjoy PvE dueling are attracted to games that have that as a feature. Given that, they are used to the things negative and positive that are onboard with such a system and have less to complain about. Obviously, people that play games without PvE dueling have a right to defend against it. Maybe some of the anti-dueling crowd gravitated to games without it due to their experiences in games that had dueling.

See, it works both ways.

As stated before, harassment isn’t my number one issue. I can deal with kids that want to act like tools. However, I have other issues with open world PvE that I have stated many times.

I have a hard time believing people picked up GW2 because it didn’t have duels. Games don’t usually advertise based on the features they lack…haha.

I’m sure Lanfear will post a link to contradict me, but i can’t recall any MMOs that actually use dueling as a selling point. It’s typically something that is just there (or sometimes not there). I’m sure people enjoyed this game first and then appreciated that duels weren’t here.

PvE Dueling

Tommyknocker.6089

Contrary to your beliefs Scrambles, when I am looking at a new game I always search the FAQ for dueling. If I find it is in the game in the open world, I pass.

I may be a very small sampling, but I have met a few others like myself; funny story though I only find them in games that don’t have open world dueling (go figure).

PvE Dueling

JustTrogdor.7892

See, it works both ways.

I have a hard time believing people picked up GW2 because it didn’t have duels. Games don’t usually advertise based on the features they lack…haha.

I’m sure Lanfear will post a link to contradict me, but i can’t recall any MMOs that actually use dueling as a selling point. It’s typically something that is just there (or sometimes not there). I’m sure people enjoyed this game first and then appreciated that duels weren’t here.

Well maybe they didn’t pick the game just because there are no duels, but perhaps it was a bit of a selling point. I know it was something I found attractive when I decided to buy GW2. Just like Wildstar, it has duels and I’m sure that has been somewhat of a selling point for people like yourself.

I think it is clear that a significant portion of the community, at least on the forums, is fine with no PvE dueling, I stress the forum community not everyone. While not necessarily indicative of the entire GW2 community, I think that says something.

I look forward to your future Wildstar reports though as I’m sure they will not be biased and have nothing to do with your pro-dueling agenda. :P

The Burninator

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

It’s worth noting that, in MMO development, PvP (and therefore dueling) has been something of an afterthought. It definitely was for WoW, and most other games seem to have their skills tamed after they consider the influence on players in PvP.

Later MMO developers will, of course, get wise to PvP demands and accommodate them, but there are very few (RIP Warhammer) that feel like they developed PvP concurrently with their class design.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

PvE Dueling

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You really find it hard to believe that someone that doesn’t enjoy dueling might have found the ‘lack of dueling’ in GW2 to be a selling point for them? Really? That’s so hard to believe?

No, I have no link for you. Games that offer dueling generally have it listed somewhere in their available features, and an interested party can likely find out from any number of reviews whether the feature is available or not and whether the implementation is any good.

You had simply stated that you had never heard of people complaining about harassment in games that had duels. I was simply providing you with solid evidence that exists there too (and people complain about it), and pointing out that all you had to do was take 30 seconds to google it.

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

I look forward to your future Wildstar reports though as I’m sure they will not be biased and have nothing to do with your pro-dueling agenda. :P

Did you know they actually pay you real money to duel in WS? They deposit money in a paypal account for accepting and give you free 7 day trials for declining. It’s amazing!

You had simply stated that you had never heard of people complaining about harassment in games that had duels. I was simply providing you with solid evidence that exists there too (and people complain about it), and pointing out that all you had to do was take 30 seconds to google it.

Sorry Lanfear, i wasn’t hating. You were definitely correct with those links you posted and i was acknowledging that in jest. Trust me, i am a big nerd and i’ve definitely done my research on dueling in other games. Not to discredit your sources, but i was looking for threads with lots of responses (like these GW2 threads). And i’ve literally never heard of West.

(edited by Scrambles.2604)

PvE Dueling

Tommyknocker.6089

Did you know they actually pay you real money to duel in WS? They deposit money in a paypal account for accepting and give you free 7 day trials for declining. It’s amazing!

Sorry but it still wouldn’t make me play it…

Retired and loving it.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

… you could always designate some areas in the game as duel arenas …

GW 1 used to have those, for a while at least, I don’t recall why they where removed.

I personally don’t want open world dueling, I don’t want to be ‘harassed’ with duel requests.

PvE Dueling

JustTrogdor.7892

I don’t know much about WS aside from it looks like an amped up version of Earthworm Jim made into an MMO. However, I’m certain you are just being facetious. Either way it seems you found your niche. Now, have fun with that. There is no need for you to keep going on and on about dueling in GW2, you obviously found your home in WS. It seems to have what you want.

The Burninator

PvE Dueling

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

why is it so difficult to understand a simple NO, is it the N or the O that confuses ppl……

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

It seems to have what you want.

No. He won’t be happy until he can force his viewpoints and all the trash that comes with them onto GW2 and the people who don’t want to deal with it. Rest assured he’ll be gloating proudly on the forums the very day it is announced should Anet ever make that decision.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

PvE Dueling

Scrambles.2604

It seems to have what you want.

No. He won’t be happy until he can force his viewpoints and all the trash that comes with them onto GW2 and the people who don’t want to deal with it. Rest assured he’ll be gloating proudly on the forums the very day it is announced should Anet ever make that decision.

I can’t force my viewpoints on anyone. At best i can submit a request, to which you can accept or decline. Hmm…sounds familiar…

PvE Dueling

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

As a reminder, if/when you get that request, you have to decline. Harassment is very much less likely to occur if you accept the duel.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I can’t force my viewpoints on anyone. At best i can submit a request, to which you can accept or decline. Hmm…sounds familiar…

And when they say “no”, you politely accept their answer and move on with your life, right?

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I have no problem with open world dueling, so long as there is an option to auto decline, but I also understand that it can frustrate pure PvE players and I respect their view. We are all here to enjoy the game and measures should be taken to limit griefing from one party to another, intentional and unintentional.

So, here is my suggestion to help please both parties:

Invisible Open World Duels
What I mean by this is, you can duel people in open world, just like many other MMO’s out there, however, when both players accept the duel they (and their effects) become invisible to all other players. Of course, if you enjoy watching duels you can select an option to see dueling in the options menu, as well as the auto decline duel option.

Also, mobs in the area would not see or be effected by dueling players, meaning that PvE players can still attack mobs without chasing after a mob that is chasing after an invisible player. This would effectively remove dueling players from events, mob radar and anything else that can effect PvE players. The dueling players would only see and effect each other.

This system would allow duelists to enjoy a fight anywhere in Tyria, without it disturbing any PvE players at all. And if you want to spectate, you have the option to do so.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I have no problem with open world dueling, so long as there is an option to auto decline, but I also understand that it can frustrate pure PvE players and I respect their view. We are all here to enjoy the game and measures should be taken to limit griefing from one party to another, intentional and unintentional.

What I mean by this is, you can duel people in open world, just like many other MMO’s out there, however, when both players accept the duel they (and their effects) become invisible to all other players. Of course, if you enjoy watching duels you can select an option to see dueling in the options menu, as well as the auto decline duel option.

Also, mobs in the area would not see or be effected by dueling players, meaning that PvE players can still attack mobs without chasing after a mob that is chasing after an invisible player. This would effectively remove dueling players from events, mob radar and anything else that can effect PvE players. The dueling players would only see and effect each other.

This system would allow duelists to enjoy a fight anywhere in Tyria, without it disturbing any PvE players at all. And if you want to spectate, you have the option to do so.

Dont forget a time limit and a cooldown on being able to duel. Last thing I want at an organized world boss attempt are a couple of twitheaded bedwetters failing the event for the 100+ people that expected a win and a good time, and then hiding in duels to avoid being reported/caught.

PvE Dueling

Rin.1046

Dont forget a time limit and a cooldown on being able to duel. Last thing I want at an organized world boss attempt are a couple of twitheaded bedwetters failing the event for the 100+ people that expected a win and a good time, and then hiding in duels to avoid being reported/caught.

An easy solution to this would be to make dueling inaccessable when in areas that have certain types of events active, and for a certain amount of time before and after the event also. So for example if a world boss is about to start, is active or has ended a couple of minutes ago, you would need to travel a fair distance away, to get outside the event range, in order to have a duel.

But tbh, if someone is going to use dueling to hide, they could just as easily change zone or log off before you can click and report them. I don’t think this system would grant anyone any extra power to grief.

Simplicity is complex.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

there could be a lose/win achievement, the more you win the faster it fills the achievement bar but a loss is a point less on the achievement.
ppl are so focused on AP’s, let’s use that as a lure.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Liberis.9573

Liberis.9573

why is it so difficult to understand a simple NO, is it the N or the O that confuses ppl……

Because dueling is a highly-requested feature that has almost no downsides…

PvE Dueling

Rin.1046

Because dueling is a highly-requested feature that has almost no downsides…

…if implemented correctly.

Any feature added, regardless of how much it has been requested, must be added in a way that does not make the game worse for others.

I am all for a PvE open world dueling system (that doesn’t require a gem store item), but I would want it done in a way so it does not impact the pure PvE experiences at all, or as little as possible.

I’m sure it can be done, but it remains to be seen if it will be done and if it is whether it will be done correctly and not using the gem store. It should be a free core feature, not some added on extra like the custom arenas. Or if it is a gem store item, it should be permanent, not requiring you to buy more dueling tickets every few weeks.

Simplicity is complex.

(edited by Rin.1046)

PvE Dueling

Posted by: rincewind.9528

rincewind.9528

Well, I don’t like the dueling idea.
But If they add an “auto-block dueling invites” feature, it’s fine for me.
It’s pretty annoying when you’re minding your own bussiness and people keep spamming duel invites.
“No, I don’t want to duel my lvl 5 newby char against your lvl 80 clad in epics char.”

PD: QD will become Goldshire 2.0. Mark my words. Then we only gonna need the ERPs to come. =P

PvE Dueling

Xenon.4537

It’s pretty annoying when you’re minding your own bussiness and people keep spamming duel invites.
“No, I don’t want to duel my lvl 5 newby char against your lvl 80 clad in epics char.”

PD: QD will become Goldshire 2.0. Mark my words. Then we only gonna need the ERPs to come. =P

You know I played maybe 3-5k hours of WoW over the years and In that time I’ve had maybe 10 strangers ever request to duel me, and none of them spammed it or stalked me or anything abusive like that. From my experience I find it extremely hard to understand the aversion to dueling in this thread under the notion that it will be so rampantly abused.

Granted, I never spent 6 hours a day idling in Goldshire. I did other things. Maybe Goldshire was just a hot spot for dueling? Why hang out in a dueling hot spot if you don’t want to receive duel requests? I’m sure if I spent 6 hours a day naked in front of Starbucks, I would eventually get spotted and arrested. It’s kind of a statistical inevitability.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: rincewind.9528

rincewind.9528

You know I played maybe 3-5k hours of WoW over the years and In that time I’ve had maybe 10 strangers ever request to duel me, and none of them spammed it or stalked me or anything abusive like that. From my experience I find it extremely hard to understand the aversion to dueling in this thread under the notion that it will be so rampantly abused.

Granted, I never spent 6 hours a day idling in Goldshire. I did other things. Maybe Goldshire was just a hot spot for dueling? Why hang out in a dueling hot spot if you don’t want to receive duel requests? I’m sure if I spent 6 hours a day naked in front of Starbucks, I would eventually get spotted and arrested. It’s kind of a statistical inevitability.

Human starter zone, doy!!
Of course, once you’re out of Goldshire it’s become just a rare annoyance.

And by the way, I said that I was fine with it as long their give us a feature that allow us to autodecline duels. Why are you against that feature?

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

It’s pretty annoying when you’re minding your own business and people keep spamming duel invites.

Pffffbaahahahahah! I laugh because it’s true. I still don’t know why they don’t duel IN Stormwind.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

Pretty sure at this point there’s no real argument against an open world dueling system that is auto-declinable and optionally invisible. The people afraid of harassment are for some reason ignoring the fact that harassment and anti-harassment countermeasures are in the game already. They’re also ignoring the fact that the people who want to pwn n00bzorz4dayz are not the people who want to spend ages trying to find a stranger to randomly accept a duel request. The ones who want to 1v1 for no gain but fun times, are not the people who go around harassing for duels.

That said, I have an inkling that Anet’s lack of response may be due to technical limitations. I haven’t seen anything in game that turn friendly players into enemy, targetable units, in a PvE map. The only approximation would be the first BWE finale event where players got corrupted, and that thing was buggy as hell. I’m of the opinion that the matter is settled on duels being a good idea, but Anet is having problems with implementation.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

PvE Dueling

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I hope as well we get PVE open world dueling.What this people fail to understand is that duel should be 1vs1 and not 1vs many.Duels should not be capturing points and such.Its should be something people can do wile waithing for event or something to happens.This is only MMORPG that i played that doesnt have any open world PVP.It doesnt have PK and doesnt have duels and sPvp and WvW cant compare with duels cause arena-types pvp you are doing with strangers.I want to duel with friends with my PVE gear not PVP gear so dont even talk about 1vs1 arena.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

I want to be able to test the effectiveness of my characters (on different account) by having them dueling each other in PvE gears. I support PvE dueling with dueling flags.

PvE Dueling

Tommyknocker.6089

sPvP and tPvP = player vs player environment
WvWvW = player vs player environment
PvE = Player vs the environment

2 out of 3 ain’t bad for the pro duelers. Like I have said before I am all for it so long as it is in it’s own separate area that must be entered to duel so as to not ruin my experiences in the game. As for having tools (decline) in place it would do nothing about the more persistent players that follow you around whilst slandering your name as a chicken in map chat.This does happen no matter how many times you may wish to deny it (personal experience). Adding to this the fact that reporting for this behavior would most likely be given very low priority compared to the other spam we receive daily (you know) then no thanks.

So if they add a dueling arena that allows food/tools/armor/trinkets and everything else that is in pve so you could test you builds against like minded players. I wish you would ask yourself why must you duel in the open world and disturb my fun?

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

^^ Tommyknocker put it nicely.

I’m all for all the duelers to have a place in either/both PvP or WvW where they can gank each other to oblivion. WvW is btw very close to what the OP is requesting – its open world PvP without the PvP limitations – WvW it just needs a separate area a la EOTM for duelists. Getting them out of PvE into their own little world would be just fine. Dueling in the open world PvE setting: No.

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

That is a good suggestion. I am of the no-open-world-duels-faction, but if it would be implemented that way, I would be ok with it.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Please enjoy your time in Wildstar, but if you don’t mind just leave this game alone.

My Hope is that the pro duel crowd will enjoy Wildstar so much that they will forget about us here.

No, no, no! You be a nice partner community and keep your compulsive forum demanders/complainers to yourself! We already have our first favorites over there and they are quite sufficient :P

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

No, no, no! You be a nice partner community and keep your compulsive forum demanders/complainers to yourself! We already have our first favorites over there and they are quite sufficient :P

Nah, sharing is good

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Not picking sides here but the same can be said for the word YES ^^

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

PvE Dueling

Rin.1046

For me, having open world duels provides opportunities to have battles in interesting locations and set up your own tournaments in these areas. I would love to duel around certain jumping puzzles for example (if an invisible option is possible of course, as I would not want to annoy other players trying to complete the puzzle).

However, I think Linnael is right. It may only be down to technical limitations as to why we haven’t got it yet.

As to players harrassing, I have experienced idiots calling me chicken in chat and trying to coax me into a duel, but to be honest I just find those players pathetic and funny. I just laugh emote and carry on with my day. I have never been annoyed by dueling in games and 9 times out of 10 they often congretate around certain areas.

Maybe a special 1v1 dueling area can be added to the mists hub as well, so there is a dedicated zone just for dueling and invisible dueling can be added to PvE so players can have fights in interesting locals.

I know we have custom arenas, but I only duel on occasion and the gem cost of custom arena tickets is not worth it for the amount of use I get out of them, so I don’t bother. Also, using a custom arena for dueling needs to be organized (which is not always an easy task) or you will just get random people trying to play the map as normal (which is not a complaint at them btw). With an open world PvP system, or a dedicated dueling area, players can pick and choose fights as and when they want, quickly and easily.

As mentioned, I do not want a system that gets in the way of anyone else’s enjoyment of the game, and I am sure Arenanet feel the same way. If they can add some kind of dueling system in the game, be it invisible open world or dedicated area, I think it would please a lot of players, as it is obviously a much requested feature. Personally I would be happy with just a dedicated dueling area, but if they can make open world dueling work, then even better. So long as PvE players are not effected by it.

Simplicity is complex.

PvE Dueling

Xenon.4537

Human starter zone, doy!!
Of course, once you’re out of Goldshire it’s become just a rare annoyance.

And by the way, I said that I was fine with it as long their give us a feature that allow us to autodecline duels. Why are you against that feature?

I never said I was against that feature. The only thing I’ve been trying to say is I find it hard to believe people rampantly stalk, spam, and abuse others with duel requests. They make it sound like this is how every waking moment of their gaming experience goes.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: Naetell.3815

Naetell.3815

Regardless where you stand on this issue, the truth is that it’s going to be really low on the priority list for Arenanet. Even if they wanted to make a duelling system someday, we likely wouldn’t see it for years to come.

PvE Dueling

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

This is all false and illogical for reasons already explained.

There are no rewards for PvE dueling, thus people won’t want to because risk is too great for no reward. Thats why we have mega servers, so more people can get more loot easier. Just PuG dungeons and stack bosses like normal and you won’t have this issue, unless you are wearing full zerker, then you’ll need to increase your MF to have any effect on the PS.

(Just a nod to those in the LAST dueling thread….+37 points to any who get the reference)

Edit: I don’t care one way or another on the issue, I stopped caring after seeing the same thread revived 15,043 times.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”