Race change on gem store/black lion chest?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dabu.6540

Dabu.6540

Hi guys, sometimes i get bored of my race of my main class, so i would like to change it but replace a character that have map complete, maxed profession and so on is difficult and frustrating. So, why not give something for race change like total makeover kit?

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Im near sure this has been discussed before, does it not have something to do with the personal story etc etc which is why you cannot have race changes.

Posted by: SenorMoody.5908

SenorMoody.5908

I would love to be able to change professions. I thought that was already a gem store item, to be honest. I wonder why they havent added this yet.

Wish it, Want it, Do it!

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

This has been discussed to death.
Your race/profession is so entwined into the personal story it would be almost impossible to implement this without breaking something bigger in the process. Imagine if this was offered and you ‘lost’ progress on the character? Progress meaning anything from personal story to gear/AP. Too risky.

Delete and re-roll with tomes or buy a new character slot. Much easier and is already in game.

Kitten.

Posted by: Preacher.9526

Preacher.9526

Race change could be done and there have been a million suggestions on how it could be implemented.

They would make a killing on this. Yes you can reroll but some of us have more money than free time to keep going through map completions. Ide pay a hefty price tag for a race change feature.

Blackgate – Bjorn Ironside

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

Just remake your character like everyone who has ever wanted a new race/profession has done. Yes you have to re do things but you’re the one who wants the change that badly or not. Many people have already made new characters for this issue.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Race change could be done and there have been a million suggestions on how it could be implemented.

I don’t remember even one suggestion that offered a sensible mechanical solution. In fact, most “solutions” concentrated only on how it were to look from the player side.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I don’t remember even one suggestion that offered a sensible mechanical solution. In fact, most “solutions” concentrated only on how it were to look from the player side.

This.

No player could have offered a mechanical/programming solution because no player knows the inner working of the programming.

Posted by: FLiP.7680

FLiP.7680

Delete and re-roll with tomes or buy a new character slot. Much easier and is already in game.

How you do with grandmaster crafting? Imo crafting should be account bound.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

I would also love a race change but A-net has said many times in many threads, it’s not an option that would easy to make available.

Just re-roll, that’s what I did and it’s not so bad. Losing map completion really isn’t that big a deal, hit the WPs you need and don’t worry about the rest, or complete again for the rewards/gifts if you want. The trade skills are also an extremely minor deal. Crafting is very alt friendly. Most things aren’t soul-bound on craft (Actually is anything soul-bound on craft?). So just don’t delete your current main, re-name him/her or pick a new name for your new main, you can still craft all your gear on your old main, and use it on your new.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

This.

No player could have offered a mechanical/programming solution because no player knows the inner working of the programming.

Let’s elaborate a bit on that by looking at what is probably the most common player solution, ie. reset personal story on race change. Firstly, this kind of solution faces the same problems as allowing players to replay personal story (because that is what this solution entails) and secondly, there are bunch of minor things the choices in personal story affects, including the state of your home instance (yes that thing you only visit to mine some daily nodes, if even that) as well as numerous open world interactions related to the choice of order to join in particular.

These things seems so minor that they are easy to gloss over from players point of view because they are barely seen by most players. The problem with all of this boils down to the fact that they would have to reset your character state, but also hold partial records of every one of the previous states to an extent (ie. avoid re-earning rewards for example).

One thing to consider, when the story journal was introduced, they wouldn’t or couldn’t (because of it being either technically impossible, or cost prohibitive) allow parts of personal story to be replayed, if they couldn’t do it for the story journal all the same reasons would apply to race change.

Profession changes on the other hand, while probably easier would have a set of their own problems (namely to do with gear, and that one ultimately insignificant choice in character creation).

This doesn’t even touch on any potential design reasons against them, see Jon Peters post about why Hero Points can not be reset on demmand… of the top of my head I can’t come up with parallel for race change but that is because I too do not know how the inner systems interact with each other or have enough information on the desing behind personal story now and at launch as well as how the system accommodates for that design.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

This.

Let’s elaborate a bit on that by looking at what is probably the most common player solution, ie. reset personal story on race change. Firstly, this kind of solution faces the same problems as allowing players to replay personal story (because that is what this solution entails) and secondly, there are bunch of minor things the choices in personal story affects, including the state of your home instance (yes that thing you only visit to mine some daily nodes, if even that) as well as numerous open world interactions related to the choice of order to join in particular.

These things seems so minor that they are easy to gloss over from players point of view because they are barely seen by most players. The problem with all of this boils down to the fact that they would have to reset your character state, but also hold partial records of every one of the previous states to an extent (ie. avoid re-earning rewards for example).

One thing to consider, when the story journal was introduced, they wouldn’t or couldn’t (because of it being either technically impossible, or cost prohibitive) allow parts of personal story to be replayed, if they couldn’t do it for the story journal all the same reasons would apply to race change.

Profession changes on the other hand, while probably easier would have a set of their own problems (namely to do with gear, and that one ultimately insignificant choice in character creation).

This doesn’t even touch on any potential design reasons against them, see Jon Peters post about why Hero Points can not be reset on demmand… of the top of my head I can’t come up with parallel for race change but that is because I too do not know how the inner systems interact with each other or have enough information on the desing behind personal story now and at launch as well as how the system accommodates for that design.

Reset personal story to zero when race is changed.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

This.

So they can get the rewards again? No thank you.

Miku.6297

How would that be so much different then if they just re-roll? Leveling isn’t exactly time consuming or difficult, legendaries and ascended gear is acct bound so gearing wouldn’t be an issue either.

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Race changes would require a LOT of billable programming hours, because the race is a fundamental part of the character, tied into many aspects of who and what they are. It would be very costly, and there is no fair gem price they could attach to it that would ever stand to recoup the costs.

As a business decision, diverting resources into a sinkhole for a function that only a few people will ever use…just doesn’t stand a chance of approval. Sorry about that.

The system in place for “same profession, different race” is to make a new character. Leveling is quick, and the game gives plenty of tomes and scrolls and boosters to make it quicker. Very few items are soulbound; heck, even money is accountbound. GW2 is built for alts. Don’t be afraid to build them.

I should be writing.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

The difficulty of implementing this has already been discussed, by the looks of things.

I’m going to quote Astral Projections again here- this topic has been discussed many times and I think Astral’s summary on A-net’s views is perfect.

ANet so far has said no.

Race changes:
1) I am afraid that the team does contemplate different possibilities and new features for the future but this one is not among those. Source
2) There are a lot of far-reaching consequences of allowing one character to play through every race’s personal story or equip any cultural armor/weapons. For now, we feel that it would take away from the experience of Guild Wars 2 for the majority of players. Source
3) Thanks for asking. To change the race in the Gem store will not be an option in Guild Wars 2. Source

Feel free to browse the links.

I also want to add that it’s probably more profitable for A-net if people have multiple character slots on their account for different races and professions. This means that a player has multiple places to develop a character’s aesthetic and as a result, a player is more likely to buy more outfits and armours from the gem-store. Moreover, levelling a new character incentivises the purchase of convenience items, such as the infinite gathering tools, salvage-o-matic and boosters.

So, even if race change was possible to implement and even if the cost of a “race changer item” covered the cost of its development, it still won’t necessarily be a profitable move for A-net.

Haleydawn.3764

How you do with grandmaster crafting? Imo crafting should be account bound.

Crafting should be account bound, but it is not. I wouldn’t be against the idea, but again, programming wise it will be tricky and not worth the hassle.

A bit of backstory.
I had a level 80 human thief, almost 3yrs old, full exotic or better gear, with 100% map completion and 500 weaponsmithing.
I wanted a Norn thief instead purely because how humans wielded daggers while running was irritating.
I deleted this thief and created my new, Norn thief. I challenged myself to get 100% map completion as quickly as possible, it took 44hrs23mins game play to do so. She’s currently still sat at 451 Weaponsmithing purely because I already had made 2 Ascended daggers and a Sword, and the new changes to ‘modding’ ascended armor weapon drops.

It’s really not that difficult.

Kitten.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

The difficulty of implementing this has already been discussed, by the looks of things.

I’m going to quote Astral Projections again here- this topic has been discussed many times and I think Astral’s summary on A-net’s views is perfect.

ANet so far has said no.

Race changes:
1) I am afraid that the team does contemplate different possibilities and new features for the future but this one is not among those. Source
2) There are a lot of far-reaching consequences of allowing one character to play through every race’s personal story or equip any cultural armor/weapons. For now, we feel that it would take away from the experience of Guild Wars 2 for the majority of players. Source
3) Thanks for asking. To change the race in the Gem store will not be an option in Guild Wars 2. Source

Feel free to browse the links.

I also want to add that it’s probably more profitable for A-net if people have multiple character slots on their account for different races and professions. This means that a player has multiple places to develop a character’s aesthetic and as a result, a player is more likely to buy more outfits and armours from the gem-store. Moreover, levelling a new character incentivises the purchase of convenience items, such as the infinite gathering tools, salvage-o-matic and boosters.

So, even if race change was possible to implement and even if the cost of a “race changer item” covered the cost of its development, it still won’t necessarily be a profitable move for A-net.

This.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Hi guys, sometimes i get bored of my race of my main class, so i would like to change it but replace a character that have map complete, maxed profession and so on is difficult and frustrating. So, why not give something for race change like total makeover kit?

Short answer is No. ANet said some time ago that changing race can brake the game/PS/LS and permanently block progress. Your race is a core part of your story in GW2. I’m sure.they could make it. But I have a feeling it would brake ao much that it would take a lot of time to fix. Time that could be better spent on playable content. There is enough broken in this game as is, with out adding more bugs.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

BrotherBelial.3094

This.

So just making a new toon then.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

Even if you were level 80 with WC it would still pose problems because your PS history is stored in your hero panel. More problems could persist if your character had armor that could only be worn by the race you currently were. It could cause bugs for unlocking skins or become an exploit to gain mutiple skin unlocks rapidly. Having to code for all that would be a serious undertaking for something relatively minor.

Seera.5916

How would that be so much different then if they just re-roll? Leveling isn’t exactly time consuming or difficult, legendaries and ascended gear is acct bound so gearing wouldn’t be an issue either.

There are only so many character slots available and if you delete/remake the character then you lose anything soulbound to that character. You either pay for a new character slot (time or money) or you give up the soulbound items and perks (crafting disciplines, birthday rewards reset, etc).

Miku.6297

There are only so many character slots available and if you delete/remake the character then you lose anything soulbound to that character. You either pay for a new character slot (time or money) or you give up the soulbound items and perks (crafting disciplines, birthday rewards reset, etc).

Hmm right, but that really has nothing to do with personal story rewards.

Seera.5916

Hmm right, but that really has nothing to do with personal story rewards.

The cost of what it takes to reroll or make a new character also covers the personal story rewards.

A race changed character would also be able to complete the story faster than a rerolled or remade character. Which could be viewed by some as pay to win.

Not to mention simply restarting the personal story by itself has proven problematic for ANet. They’ve got it so hard wired into the character data that any changes tend to cause problems up to and including permanent blocking of progress in the story.

Then there’s how to deal with racial armor that’s currently equipped or been transmuted onto armor that’s been equipped or otherwise soulbound to the character being changed. That’s a lot of code that has to be added to the game and all sorts of places where problems could happen.

So it’s a lot of time to implement and quite possibly increase of CS response time due to increased tickets from problems arising through race change. That time equals a lot of money, and who knows how common race changes would be so they’d have to be really high to be feasible and then people would complain that it’s too high and they might as well just reroll or remake the character.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Resetting the personal story wouldn’t be a good idea. You get crafting materials, various gear, black lion chest keys for certain missions, etc., as you complete personal story missions.

Personally I don’t mind doing stuff over on multiple characters. It keeps me from getting bored because with 100% map completion and personal story completed on my main there isn’t much I want to do with him right now. So my main just kinda exists right now as I’m working on personal story and map completion on alts.

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)

Miku.6297

Wow, that’s a really long response ~~ Honestly I’ve read all the reasons why it can’t/probably won’t happen, and I do understand them. I was simply replying to THIS comment you made.

“So they can get the rewards again? No thank you.”

It makes it sound like you are very concerned with the rewards for the personal story.

As I said, for many vet players re-rolling a character doesn’t take that long any way. As I said legends and ascended gear are acct bound, exotics are commonly called “easy to get”, obviously you would lose soul bound things (That’s why I specificed acct bound things would not be lost).

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

Im near sure this has been discussed before, does it not have something to do with the personal story etc etc which is why you cannot have race changes.

Quite honestly they could just reset it when you change, who gives a kitten about PS any how, there are no worth while rewards there.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

Seera.5916

Wow, that’s a really long response ~~ Honestly I’ve read all the reasons why it can’t/probably won’t happen, and I do understand them. I was simply replying to THIS comment you made.

“So they can get the rewards again? No thank you.”

It makes it sound like you are very concerned with the rewards for the personal story.

As I said, for many vet players re-rolling a character doesn’t take that long any way. As I said legends and ascended gear are acct bound, exotics are commonly called “easy to get”, obviously you would lose soul bound things (That’s why I specificed acct bound things would not be lost).

Because as Charrbeque pointed out, several are fairly valuable. Such as crafting materials and black lion chest keys.

Miku.6297

Because as Charrbeque pointed out, several are fairly valuable. Such as crafting materials and black lion chest keys.

I’d be curious to see a full list of compiled reward income for a FULL ps run, vs standard play (or farming silverwastes). I guess “Fairly valuable” is a subjective term, though I have to wonder if running the full PS is really that rewarding, why do people not do it more often?

Bl keys on the other had are valueable (well 125 gems less if you buy packs), but I’m pretty sure it would be easier to just bl key farm vs running a FULL ps story to get them.

Once again, I’m just saying I don’t think the personal story rewards are really a huge concern weighing against race change… The overall system in place in GW2 yes, the rewards from a PS, not so much.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Not sure if you actually readmy previous post, but in short what makes you think they would or could make personal story replayable in any capacity for race changes if they didn’t do it when the story journal was created.

Haleydawn.3764

I don’t know how clear those links were. After all this pointless back and forth. Stop saying race change. It’s not going to happen.

Kitten.

BrotherBelial.3094

I don’t know how clear those links were. After all this pointless back and forth. Stop saying race change. It’s not going to happen.

ANet have said, it’s not going to happen, many times. Stop thinking it will.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

This.

Not even close. All those crafting recipes that possibly can’t even be gotten anymore, you get to keep.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Even if they did implement a kit where you can change your race (unlikely) – it would probably be cheaper or the same price to purchase a new character slot anyway, given the price of an Identity Repair Kit.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

BrotherBelial.3094

This.

Not even close. All those crafting recipes that possibly can’t even be gotten anymore, you get to keep.

Buy a slot and make a new one then. ANet have said they will not do a race change. It will brake too much, and they do not want to use resources to fix it on something not everyone wants. It’s a simple question of cost. It would cost more to fix what would brake than they would make from the change. If you want to play a different race you have the option to buy a slot roll a new character, and ToK your way to 80. That is the only way you can do it. I’ve done it. I have 4 warriors, 1 human 2 Norn (1 male, 1 female) and a Charr. See how easy it is?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

All those crafting recipes that possibly can’t even be gotten anymore, you get to keep.

That’s a problem with the recipes. All those should really be account-wide.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

This.

Lol as if the rewards are good anyway.
Also if they paid for a race change then they paid for the crappy rewards all over again.
As for the bl keys ppl can still farm them with a spare char slot anyway.

(edited by XxTAFxX.6741)

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

It’s funny how rewards keep being brought up as to why A-net won’t make this happen when this is probably one of the least concerning parts of a race changer item.

More important factors to spend time debating on (and possible counters/solutions to these problems):

-Impossibility of this feature due to how the current engine works
-Thus, if it were to happen, the amount of dev time/resources this would leech from other necessary updates
-That it could reduce possible profit overall (for the reasons listed in my previous post)
-The fact that the devs believe it would “take away from the game”- they don’t want you to lose feel of your character’s identity and history and that it would cheapen the game
-The devs don’t want to and have never said that they’d be willing to do or consider it
-There are plenty of alternatives already in-game that are already more profitable for A-net

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Or you can do what most people do and roll an alt, level it up, get map completion, max crafts, etc…

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

This.

Why is this even a point? If they re-roll with a new character and do the entire story again, they’re getting all the rewards again. Either way they start from zero and get the rewards again, so why does it matter.

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

This.

Uhh, one is level 80 fully geared with all the stuff, he will just have story reset and the other one is… well new toon?

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

the issue can be summed up rather easily.

there are certain things, like personal story progress and level-up rewards, that are saved directly into your character’s save file.

in order to change race, profession, reset personal story, etc… information would have to be removed from your save file. this would create conflicts with code that would essentially break your character.

for example. the code sees that you tripped flag x, and since you tripped flag x, there is supposed to be certain info in your save file. since the info was removed from your save file, the code can’t find the info it’s looking for, and then it generates error code after error code after error code. eventually, using that same save file, you get stuck in an infinite load screen, because there are too many errors

it’s the same thing that happens when you mod skyrim, save your game, and then remove mods, and try using the same save game. it may not break your game right away, but inevitably, it will break it beyond repair. and your save faile is broken to the point of an infinite load screen, there is only one thing to do: delete the save file (and all character progress) and start over from character creation.

– The Baconnaire

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Why is this even a point? If they re-roll with a new character and do the entire story again, they’re getting all the rewards again. Either way they start from zero and get the rewards again, so why does it matter.

Except a new character wouldn’t be level 80 in full Ascended I guess is the point.

If race change forced your character to revert back to level 1, removed all Hero Points, and reset their map completion (but keeping their gifts of exploration, title, and star if you had gotten 100%—you just have to run from point to point like every other new player) then it wouldn’t really matter. It’s basically like starting over at that point. I even say let them keep their crafts, what does that hurt really.

All cultural skinned armor of course would be unusable unless the skin was changed, but other than that, I see no issues.

But then, really, why not simply make a new character?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Miku.6297

But then, really, why not simply make a new character?

Bag slots ~

Leveling is easy, I could run to all the WPs I need in maybe 2 hours or less. All my gear except my rebreather (not like these much underwater) is acct bound. Really the only major thing I see as a loss would be bag slot sales.

New character slot = 800 gems
bag slots = 400 each x 3

So at very minimum a race change would have to be MORE than 2k gems.

So setting aside the near impossability of functionally adding this according to A-net, the price point might be very hard to sell.

(edited by Miku.6297)

BrotherBelial.3094

This.

Uhh, one is level 80 fully geared with all the stuff, he will just have story reset and the other one is… well new toon?

What about ascended gear and ToK, I don’t see the problem.

People need to accept that when ANet say “No, it’s too much work, and we would not make enough from it to justify the cost” that is killing the idea dead. It is Never going to happen. Ever.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Wow this thread is still going? Everyone did read that it’s not going to happen right? So idk what the point is in arguing about it.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

the issue can be summed up rather easily.

there are certain things, like personal story progress and level-up rewards, that are saved directly into your character’s save file.

in order to change race, profession, reset personal story, etc… information would have to be removed from your save file. this would create conflicts with code that would essentially break your character.

for example. the code sees that you tripped flag x, and since you tripped flag x, there is supposed to be certain info in your save file. since the info was removed from your save file, the code can’t find the info it’s looking for, and then it generates error code after error code after error code. eventually, using that same save file, you get stuck in an infinite load screen, because there are too many errors

it’s the same thing that happens when you mod skyrim, save your game, and then remove mods, and try using the same save game. it may not break your game right away, but inevitably, it will break it beyond repair. and your save faile is broken to the point of an infinite load screen, there is only one thing to do: delete the save file (and all character progress) and start over from character creation.

Decent logic, but GW2 is an MMO, not a singleplayer game. Its much simpler.

Except the personal story, the game doesnt take into account your race, gender, what you did previously, etc. For example, all races have access to all home instances. Yep, if you are Charr you can go into the Norn home instance. That’s your home instance just as good as the Human home instance, or the Asuran one. The game doesnt care that you are Charr. Its the same home instance.

The same with the makeover kit. You can change genders how much you want. The game doesnt care. Even armor will properly change after you have changed genders.

To reiterate a part of my post here that got infracted and deleted (yeah I know exactly what part of the post caused that, wont post it again):

1) Limit is level 80 char only that has completed the personal story.
2) Personal story arc 1 change to “You are a RACE_NEW raised by RACE_ORIGINAL as one of them”. even if you race change 10 times, original race is the same. The personal story does not change otherwise. What’s done is done.
3) All race armor in inventory or equipped for the old race become accountbound, soulbound on equip. Its still limited to race, you dont get new race gear.
4) New race is processed just like the total makeover kit, you select your race and then it goes to total makeover kit menu.
5) Done.

Miku.6297

Nothing wrong with discussing it. It’s just something to talk about, after all A-net really sticks to what they said! Kind of like how they did with the release of FoTM and ascended gear (sarcasm and joking here).

Bottom line, even if they said it’s “never going to happen” what harm is there in talking about it?

(edited by Miku.6297)

Haleydawn.3764

ANet have said, it’s not going to happen, many times. Stop thinking it will.

You don’t say… In all 3 of my posts, I have said what you have summarised. Why you felt the need to point out you agree with me, is beyond me. I think you missed the point and felt you would nudge your elbow in to make me feel bad “for thinking that race change should happen” whereas if you actually read any of this thread, you’d see that I know it wont happen

Kitten.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Honestly not a big deal to reroll (if you can pay for a char slot.) I’ve done it several times now. If you’re willing to pay a lot for it then just pay for a character slot instead (obviously don’t delete the character with the 500 crafting and 100% map comp.)

You don’t need 100% map completion or story completion on the new char. Ascended gear is transferable. 1-80 is near instant with tomes. Getting the important spots on the map takes less than a day. Seriously, after buying the character slot (I just did this yesterday) you could have your new character up and running and functioning normally in like 4 hours. Not the 60-90 hours your’e (probably) thinking.

It is very worth it to be the race you want. Really makes a difference.