So how do we fix Berserker?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Butter.3024

Butter.3024

Without Holy Trinity it is gonna be hard to make all the stats viable, any body got any ideas?

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

For starters, improve AI and raise the cap on condition stacks. Bosses in this game are pathetic.

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Without Holy Trinity it is gonna be hard to make all the stats viable, any body got any ideas?

The problem with thier stat system is that they made beserker and condition sets the only sets that actually modify abilities
the game is designed where ability use is the most important thing.
they reduced the amount of guaranteed hits (skillfull play involves minimizing damage through position, evasion, and preparatory skills like blocks, dmg cancels, etc)

this is why beserker is the best, its not because there are no other factors besides DPS, but you can avoid/prevent/reduce damage, support, and CC virtually the same as anyone else no matter what gear you are wearing.

on the opposite side, 70% of your skills are less effective if you dont have berserker.
as long as this is the case berserker will always dominate the game.

the only other sets that matter ability wise, are condition, and boon duration sets, however, a skilled team can already get max boons when they need to, and do like 50% more dmg without using any boon duration. Condition sets also matter, but conditions dont work very well on bosses, and work very poorly in events with more than 8 people.

the best solution imo?

make other stats effect abilities, and other game play related things.

toughness could effect damage mitigation/prevention stats;
endure pain could have a maximum damage blocked, or have its duration effected by toughness, or vitality for example.

vitality could reduce condition durations or mitigate condition damage, and effect some evasive skills

healing should be changed to an overall support stat lets call it newhealing;

new healing could give a buff to the effectiveness of all boons, and give everyone in the party a bonus as well.
say self bonus maxes at 20% bonus to boons and an overall party bonus to boons. A fully support focused player would make the other 4 players in his party get more power from might, more protection from protection, as well as buff himself.

these are just ideas, but the premise is that the abilities and skills you use need to be effected by more than just power crit dmg, and condition dmg. a berserker can support, avoid/prevent damage, and CC as well as any other geared player. Thats really the problem

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Berserker isn’t the problem. The sooner you stop thinking it is the less problems you’re gonna have.

Nerfing one play style so others are more appealing isn’t the way to go. Especially when people have invested a lot of time and gold into getting their gear.

Not such a big deal with skills themselves because it only takes 3s to respec.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

Please dont ask for a fix to berserker as for improvements to others.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Make enemy attacks harder to evade and hit for less damage.
If things 1 or 2 shot you no matter your equipment, then you may as well go full offense anyway. And if you can stay alive in any equipment, you may as well go full offense to make things faster.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Replacing fat health pools with a mob self healing would be a start.

Another would be to vary the effectiveness of boons and non-damage conditions based on the stats of the applier beyond simple duration.

A third would be to make CC have a break chance on damage once the current duration runs out, and have the CC last for 10x as long on mobs overall. This would allow an alternative to dodge&zerk for fighting mobs.

Maybe also modify block skills to only go on cooldown when they actually block an attack, and make them either a toggle or stay up as long as the button is held down.

And finally consider giving us effective aggro management. Right now zerk is favored because if everyone runs zerk the mobs are more likely to ping pong between characters. If just one run a high toughness build, he becomes the designated mob magnet more often than not. but high toughness is also the reflexive go to for solo survival.

Posted by: Ordin.9047

Ordin.9047

Why are there always people who want to get other people’s gear nerfed? If you don’t want to wear berserker gear, you are only hurting yourself. I found that out after the game had been out a couple of months. The thing is, boss one shot kills are one shot kills no matter what gear you are wearing, so you might as well as get some more damage in on them with each hit.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Simple, you saw a new encounter where power creep comes into play, where not only does the mob hit you harder but also negates parts of your stats.

World bosses, hits harder and are uncritable, the solution? pvt or heal gear. SO not only do you have the more tanky stats or supportive skills, but you’re allowed to be tanky because you no longer need the stats of precision/crit dmg.

The other problem with that, is that low damage numbers are boring to most user. Saw for example you’re using a guardian sceptor, that sceptor will only hit a world boss for 144 damage. That’s pretty boring right. This is where game design might partially fall off. Everyone is so used to using object x because of its effective power over skill.

So now you’ve moved from using a full crit hundred blade 43k hit, to something essentially around 10k, and that’s fine but regular attacks become boring, hitting for 100-500. When 80% of your damage is based solely on AA, where’s the fun in pressing 2 or 3, when you can remove the skill and AA all day and loot?

I think the devs need to take a step back and reevaluate their ‘revamps’. Let’s take this for example, the maw boss used to die within 30 seconds, so for some people they complained about being unable to get back in time to tag up enough damage for the rewards. However, now they increased his health so he can take 5mins of beating to his HP pool. This didn’t make the encounter difficult, adding more HP doesn’t make content difficult. The only reason to add more HP to older content, is top bring back players who’s power creep is beyond that mobs potential, ie heroic mode vanilla content (WoW). But nothing changed on maw himself, he doesn’t hit harder, he just last longer, and that gets boring… really boring. As a consumer for the game I’ve invested in, I feel partially abused by that factor. Why am I hitting this mob for longer when the intrinsic value is unchanged, I’m putting in more work now for something that hasn’t been revalued.

The game is only a year old I guess, it has alot of potential but it keeps going off inthe wrong direction, maybe ncsoft is partially to blame for ruining something that could of been great. But hey, WoW only got good for me mid-way through burning crusade, maybe they’ll fix it up down the road. But right now, alot of what exists in the game really trails off and the intrinsic values fall flat.

TLDR;
Harder content requires you to wear pvt, but in the end, you’re still pigeon holed

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

There is nothing wrong with berserker. People play berserker gear because they feel they’re good enough for it(even if sometimes they arent) and want to finish content faster. Other stats are also okay, you get less dps for better survival, what exactly needs fixing? Only condition damage stack needs fixing.

champ.7021

Well there are a lot of stat combos that make no sense whatsoever and they dont even deserver a buff. PVT on the otherhand is useful in teq and such events although its not necessary you can take zerk and stay alive if you dont afk. But in dungeons its definitely more fun to take damage stats because you have more things to do like dodge. condi damage is a stat that could use a buff, but it really all depends on whether they increase damage or make the damage a ratio to health because at the moment condition damage is useful for bosses with alot of health that take a long time to kill, but for most bosses its useless. So if they make condition damage do the same amount of overall damage it would do to hp sponge bosses to normal bosses it would be a more viable option

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Outright removing +crit damage might be a way. I’ve not run the numbers but multiplicative damage increasers sound problematic. Crit chance and crit damage enhance each other too well.

Reducing crit chance would play havoc with various builds, but how much you crit for doesnt mean a thing except for
- burst damage (so any changes for it might be a problem for pvp – I wouldnt know)
- total dps (and thats what we want to curb after all)

digiowl.9620

Perhaps not removing, but at least reduce how much crit damage you get out of the gear.

Right now you can get some 60% from gear on top of the base 50% all have. Meaning that if you push crit chance into the 90s you are looking at a doubling of damage output.

And this is a straight increase, unlike power, healing power or condition damage where different skills gain a different amount.

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

you can make bosses that hit super hard and have little hp.

so everyone will go PTV instead.

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

digiowl.9620

Not unless the hits come fast enough that dodge is worthless.

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

Theres nothing wrong with zerker. It’s the condition cap and the “dodge this or die” nature of the game that needs modifying.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Toughness- Endure
Vitality- survive.

A player with high toughness will be able to endure auto-attacks from many enemies for a long period of time.

A vitality player will be able to survive surprise bursts and other instant death attacks.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: TheKillerAngel.3596

TheKillerAngel.3596

It has nothing to do with fixing berserker and everything to do with designing more dynamic, engaging bosses.

Think stacking and skipping trash is cheap?
Read: Playing to Win.
Guide: How to play a Mesmer in dungeons.

Posted by: Draehl.2681

Draehl.2681

Why are there always people who want to get other people’s gear nerfed? If you don’t want to wear berserker gear, you are only hurting yourself. I found that out after the game had been out a couple of months. The thing is, boss one shot kills are one shot kills no matter what gear you are wearing, so you might as well as get some more damage in on them with each hit.

Obviously, berserker gear is optimal given the current game environment. Berserker isn’t the problem so much as the only valid solution to that problem. Corrections to the underlying system is the answer, not blatant nerfs to zerker for no reason. Wearing other gear types shouldn’t hurt yourself.

champ.7021

Theres nothing wrong with zerker. It’s the condition cap and the “dodge this or die” nature of the game that needs modifying.

Whats wrong with having to dodge. It makes the game interesting. Undodgeable attacks or having low numbers and wasting time on bosses is not fun. Would you rather perfer just standing and taking hits? or is there some other thing you want.

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Outright removing +crit damage might be a way. I’ve not run the numbers but multiplicative damage increasers sound problematic. Crit chance and crit damage enhance each other too well.

Reducing crit chance would play havoc with various builds, but how much you crit for doesnt mean a thing except for
- burst damage (so any changes for it might be a problem for pvp – I wouldnt know)
- total dps (and thats what we want to curb after all)

1. Reducing effectiveness of Damage
  2. Increasing boss damage (less Spike more sustained)

These will not work in the way you are thinking, because berserker isn’t the problem. In fact making these changes would just make another must have stat.

Basically…

1. bosses deal too much damage for berserker to survive.
  2. A-net already said they don’t want dedicated healers.
  3. berserkers cannot survive encounters regularly
  4. Knight/Valk becomes the new standard.

This is again because berserker isn’t the problem at all, it is just a symptom of the true problem. Attacking, fixing, or changing berserker at all will not fix the problem. The problem is that we don’t have multiple roles in combat. Everyone has the same exact role DPS and keep yourself alive to the best of your ability. Take the new Tequatl for example, Berserker gear is nerfed against him. Does that make more gear types optimal? Nope. It just makes Soldier optimal. soldier has become the new berserker for that fight.

Now if, for example every boss fight required one person to run around a lava field full of AOEs while pushing buttons. that person’s gear would likely have a lot of toughness, vitality perhaps healing with superior Runes of the Traveler. berserker would no longer be the end all be all gear because every boss fight we need one person to wear something else that is optimize for the lava runner role. This is the way to fix the cause, instead of one of the symptoms. now you have a team that are utilizing 2 sets instead of 1.

This is a silly example I know, but the point is that by introducing us to roles you make the gear for those roles useful. By keeping us all in the same role you make only one set of gear useful, Whatever set is min/maxed optimal for that role.

(edited by Lokki.1092)

Posted by: Draehl.2681

Draehl.2681

Whats wrong with having to dodge. It makes the game interesting. Undodgeable attacks or having low numbers and wasting time on bosses is not fun. Would you rather perfer just standing and taking hits? or is there some other thing you want.

Maybe because dodging is incredibly one dimensional compared to how the game would be played if it weren’t in the game? Making sure to properly time blind/weakness/protection/etc. Managing heal cooldowns. Letting different players trade off taking hits then backing off to recover. Now it’s dodge or die for the most part. This eliminates many potentially valid builds as well as class mechanics (see Death Shroud) that aren’t usable because Berserker + dodge is the only valid option.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Remove 1 shot mechanics, until then I see no reason to not put out the max possible damage on any character I play. No more support for me. Berserker all the way.

champ.7021

Maybe because dodging is incredibly one dimensional compared to how the game would be played if it weren’t in the game? Making sure to properly time blind/weakness/protection/etc. Managing heal cooldowns. Letting different players trade off taking hits then backing off to recover. Now it’s dodge or die for the most part. This eliminates many potentially valid builds as well as class mechanics (see Death Shroud) that aren’t usable because Berserker + dodge is the only valid option.

Aah i see what you’re saying. Sorry i missed the point altogether i thought you wanted to take dodging out of the gameplay altogether. I do agree that at the moment al you do is stand around a boss and dps while dodging some times. its not that dynamic. I think what would make this better is having lower hp while making it better for groups to be coordinated and making it so that people have to help each other in combat or have to time reflects and stuff. The more i think about it the more i like it, sorry for my stubbornness didnt get your points exactly.

(edited by champ.7021)

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I’d rather see bosses just do something which makes people have to do something other than facesmash for 99% of the fight, maybe dodge a couple of times. Lupicus in melee is a good example, you have to manage your cooldowns and evades otherwise you’ll get hit with heavy damage and die. Most fractal end bosses are pretty well done too (in my opinion).

On top of that, just buff conditions. Like really, if people had the option between playing either a power or condition build, there would probably be a whole lot less crying. As for defensive stats, as long as damage mitigation in this game is so strong, they’ll always remain a crutch. I think that actually makes the game more interesting tbh. Relying on cooldowns and positional play instead of just eating every hit that comes your way.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Many experts here being completely clueless as to why berserker is viable. A hint: try to do fractals high levels with a standard cof team.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

without changing what each stat does, and making more stats effect abilities, the berserker will still be best at it. If you work as a team with a balanced skill bar, you dont need duration increases, berserker has access to the same number of blocks and blinds as a tanky charachter.

like i said its, not that there is not other important things, and roles, its that gear doesnt help those roles nearly as much as berserker helps offense.
berserker can give you the same number of might stacks
berserker can CC just as effectively
berserker can deal with conditions as effectively as anyone else

etc.
right now, all other gear sets are basically the newbie sets,
cant coordinate fast enough to make good use of boons? get boon duration
cant dodge/block/react to damage or stand in the best place? get toughness/vit
any one can CC as well as any other.

stats can make hundred blades 300% more effective, stats cant do anything for might, endure pain, knock downs, etc.

aside from making other stats effect abilities, the only solution would be to have a lot more unavoidable damage, but i dont think that makes for better game play.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

What people aren’t getting ( except for one poster above – grats Lokki ) is that your main gripe isn’t with Berserker’s.

The main problem a few of the players are trying to express here is that a certain set – let’s call it set A is overused. And they would like to see more variability.
With the game’s current state set A happens to be Berserker’s.

IF this set – set A – is nerfed – people won’t just migrate to sets B C and D with other letters thrown in as well. No.
Set A is popular because it is OPTIMAL – no matter how you change the game – how you nerf sets and change encounters – one set will ALWAYS be optimal.
And people will – sooner or later all wear that set.
You cannot have variety since players want maximum effectiveness. Once you take zerker out of the equation the gap will be filled by another set – which will be considered the " optimal – go to set " – and all / most people will wear that.

Conclusion : No matter how you look at it – or what you do – nerfing zerker ( which is fine by the way ) will just switch the " best used " set to something else. And in a few months we’ll have " nerf knight’s " or " Valkyre overused? " threads.

The game is what’s going on here – and although there are many ways to play – for each class there will ALWAYS be one optimal way – and people will sooner or later migrate to that.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

The more you know particular encounters the less useful any stats other than ones to increase your damage become. When you’ve stomped Alpha 30 times what’s the point in not being zerker in CoE? There isn’t. You know when to dodge, what to expect. The same holds true of every encounter.

The only way to solve this problem is an overhaul of the AI.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Why should we fix the only fun gear to use? You’re basically constantly on edge, knowing if you miss a dodge that you’ll faceplant that it forces you to pay attenton, learn encounters and act accordingly. Rampagers does exactly the same thing, just the DPS is trash since it increases condi damage rather than crit damage. Something like PVT just encourages you to drop your head on the keyboard and afk the fight.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

to be fair, you cant crit on dragon champs, so berserkers is useless there

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

What people aren’t getting ( except for one poster above – grats Lokki ) is that your main gripe isn’t with Berserker’s.

The main problem a few of the players are trying to express here is that a certain set – let’s call it set A is overused. And they would like to see more variability.
With the game’s current state set A happens to be Berserker’s.

IF this set – set A – is nerfed – people won’t just migrate to sets B C and D with other letters thrown in as well. No.
Set A is popular because it is OPTIMAL – no matter how you change the game – how you nerf sets and change encounters – one set will ALWAYS be optimal.
And people will – sooner or later all wear that set.
You cannot have variety since players want maximum effectiveness. Once you take zerker out of the equation the gap will be filled by another set – which will be considered the " optimal – go to set " – and all / most people will wear that.

Conclusion : No matter how you look at it – or what you do – nerfing zerker ( which is fine by the way ) will just switch the " best used " set to something else. And in a few months we’ll have " nerf knight’s " or " Valkyre overused? " threads.

The game is what’s going on here – and although there are many ways to play – for each class there will ALWAYS be one optimal way – and people will sooner or later migrate to that.

I get what you are trying to say, but really, I feel your analysis is a “glass is always half empty” type of deal. There is some truth to what you are saying but there are ways to give different builds more conceptual relevance and, dare I say it….fun….without making them the FOTM or even optimal. I think that is what some people are trying to explore, so I would advise against being so quick to jump to the “path of least resistance” argument in this sort of discussion. I’m also seeing people interpreting the OP’s question a number of ways, which is why you see some people tackling it from the strict nerf perspective and some are more “big picture” ideas. Just roll with it.

champ.7021

Why should we fix the only fun gear to use? You’re basically constantly on edge, knowing if you miss a dodge that you’ll faceplant that it forces you to pay attenton, learn encounters and act accordingly. Rampagers does exactly the same thing, just the DPS is trash since it increases condi damage rather than crit damage. Something like PVT just encourages you to drop your head on the keyboard and afk the fight.

Yeah theres no point in making pvt more useful because that means dumbing down the game. However i think the game should be made more complex in terms of dungeons. I know high level fractals in berserker gear require a good team setup. However most dungeons can be completed by most groups and the only one that poses a threat is Arah. And even Arah is pretty much faceroll for most groups its only really lupicus that presents a real challenge for groups without structuring. We need more dungeons that require coordination.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

but does the majority of gw2 player base want content requiring coordination?

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Ari Kagura.9182

Ari Kagura.9182

I think they sort-of fixed Berserkers already with Tequatl 2.0— this is a boss that is immune to crit damage. Therefore, Berserkers effectiveness in the front line is diminished because they can’t crit the boss. If zerkers are hell-bent in wanting to even damage Tequatl, they either need to adapt to his attacks, or just stick to the back and defend the turret users where it actually makes sense.

If anything, I’m lead to believe that we’ll get more encounters that may require different criteria to even damage the boss. Maybe we’ll need to maintain X amount of Might or Vulnerability stacks, or perhaps only use Condition damage, or what whatever (barring any technical limitations of course).

“I control my fate!” — Claire Farron
I am Fleeting Flash, in-game dungeon cosplayer of Reddit Refugees [RR] .

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

I think either critical chance or critical damage is too high. Maybe if it wasn’t possible to get like 120% crit damage or 100%+ crit chance via runes/traits/trinkets, it would be better. Nerf these things and then make it so fury adds more ~50% and lasts for a shorter duration. Things like hidden killer and +50% crit chance in deathshroud are fine because they are situational. You could also give support-y classes like guardian or even ranger the ability to increase crit dmg/chance in the same fashion as warrior banners. Banners at the current time (especially discipline) are overkill.

@Ari: Yeah, this is actually pretty good against ppl who use zerker gear. you could use valkyrie and get the same power + crit damage but have a lot more hp. either that or soldiers/sentinel and get a lot of vitality and toughness. both way better options than zerker, at least for fighting teq itself.

CD

(edited by Spicyhash.7605)

Posted by: Rainweaver.7302

Rainweaver.7302

Nerf reflections

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

dungeons are just tailored to power/zerk. look at the final boss of the dredge fractal. condi damage? get up there and pour. or the champ colossi in arah p1. they’re immune to conditions. and then there’s the condi cap. we just have to face the facts. arenanet hates pve condi.

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Nothing to fix with zerker gear. The problem is with crappy AI, 1-shot mechanics, low rate of attacks, and lack of skills on an enemies bar.

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

There isn’t anything to fix. The problems with conditions are a wide collection of poor design decisions (responsible for both their weakness in PvE and utter dominance of PvP); the problems with durability are all about crappy encounter design.

The gear is basically working as intended (though I think critical damage jewels need to be scaled back, since those are silly), it’s the mechanics of the game that are broken.

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

The problem with thier stat system is that they made beserker and condition sets the only sets that actually modify abilities
the game is designed where ability use is the most important thing.
they reduced the amount of guaranteed hits (skillfull play involves minimizing damage through position, evasion, and preparatory skills like blocks, dmg cancels, etc)

this is why beserker is the best, its not because there are no other factors besides DPS, but you can avoid/prevent/reduce damage, support, and CC virtually the same as anyone else no matter what gear you are wearing.

on the opposite side, 70% of your skills are less effective if you dont have berserker.
as long as this is the case berserker will always dominate the game.

the only other sets that matter ability wise, are condition, and boon duration sets, however, a skilled team can already get max boons when they need to, and do like 50% more dmg without using any boon duration. Condition sets also matter, but conditions dont work very well on bosses, and work very poorly in events with more than 8 people.

the best solution imo?

make other stats effect abilities, and other game play related things.

toughness could effect damage mitigation/prevention stats;
endure pain could have a maximum damage blocked, or have its duration effected by toughness, or vitality for example.

vitality could reduce condition durations or mitigate condition damage, and effect some evasive skills

healing should be changed to an overall support stat lets call it newhealing;

new healing could give a buff to the effectiveness of all boons, and give everyone in the party a bonus as well.
say self bonus maxes at 20% bonus to boons and an overall party bonus to boons. A fully support focused player would make the other 4 players in his party get more power from might, more protection from protection, as well as buff himself.

these are just ideas, but the premise is that the abilities and skills you use need to be effected by more than just power crit dmg, and condition dmg. a berserker can support, avoid/prevent damage, and CC as well as any other geared player. Thats really the problem

This is actually a very good idea, great post all around. Thanks for putting things in a very different perspective. If they implemented the changes you suggest then other stats would definitely be as viable as zerker sets.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

Phys’ idea kind of goes back to original GW. Skills were organized in to different disciplines and schools of magic, and higher stats would increase that school of magic/skill.

With the current system, and the idea that there shouldn’t be a tank or a healer, the effectiveness of a lot of non-dps abilities is kitten.

Add in the condition cap and stability, and conditions as well as control abilities become less useful. (pvp, conditions are still good…almost too good, but that’s another discussion)

So the only viable stat setup that you have is a raw damage based set, which is berserker, P/Pr/CritD.

The new Tequatl encounter sort of addresses this with the limitation of “no crits” allowed, but this is a restrictive and band aid solution.

Fixes to the viability of other gear should increases effectiveness of other playstyles which would encourage diversity, not the nerfing of current playstyles to try to squash out people in a category and force them to try different things to be viable.

The one weakness berserker has, which would cause more players to try different gear sets is the survivability aspect. The problem is, this downside is over ruled by the ability to dodge attacks and the speed at which you can kill things, thus negating the supposed negative which should balance the positives.

There is not enough risk/reward for berserker gear in current PvE content.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

First, I definitely would like to +1 the sentiment that berserker doesn’t need "fixing" -- hopefully we can all agree that it’s more an issue of making other gear types / play styles more useful.

I don’t see how preventing crits has helped, honestly.

This game spent the better part of a year slapping giant slabs of health onto bosses and boss-like enemies and calling it a day. Now we have some more interesting things being done with bosses, which has given many encouragement to take up more armor and health in their gear. Cool, great. But then these lower-DPS builds are still expected to wail away at the same giant blocks of health (edit: this statement is probably gonna get some flak -- you can get good damage with non-berserker only gearing, of course, but I think at this point we can all agree that emphasizing crit and crit damage gets better numbers than what power alone provides, and conditions still battle with limits in group content).

Obviously it’s doable, as several servers/guilds/overflows have shown. Still feels like there ought to be other ways to help bring various gear selections and builds into the forefront rather than specifically ensure one works less than usual.

But hey now crit-based builds can sit back with condition builds and shake their heads at boss fights together. Conditions still have it worse, though, for sure.

(edited by synk.6907)

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

All in all – the situation stands.
Until the game is improved on an AI and Encounter level we won’t be seeing any change.
Since CC is useless against bosses and their difficulty comes form silly 1-hit-ko attacks and huge health pools there’s no reason to diversify builds.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

fixing zerkers means doing the following:
- fix conditions
- remove defiant
- improve scaling of conditions
- make confusion and blind viable in pve
- make certain boons more useful. Let regen scale better with HP
- balance damage for bosses at something that’s deadly for zerkers yet can be tanked by other gear.

It’s not a magical bullet solution but rather solving a set of individual problems compounding the problem.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

- make blind viable in pve .

…lol

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: whyme.3281

whyme.3281

double the attack rate of bosses and half their damage with each attack could help. So not every attack can be dodged and you have to take some damage. This would make the life for non defensive builds harder, but not impossible.

On the other hand, with such a change, support builds, with healingpower and regeneration could start to shine aswell. (but i think for this the boon duration on most skills should be halfed)

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

All in all – the situation stands.
Until the game is improved on an AI and Encounter level we won’t be seeing any change.
Since CC is useless against bosses and their difficulty comes form silly 1-hit-ko attacks and huge health pools there’s no reason to diversify builds.

No. Improved AI and “encounter levels” (which I take to mean difficulty) will make no difference whatsoever.

Only an actual change in design of enemies and the way conditions work would make Zerker not the most optimal.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Changing berserker gear would lead to another gear being most optimal. And the circle would be completed.

What is that, that you dislike about zerker? Connotation?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

fixing zerkers means doing the following:
- fix conditions
- remove defiant
- improve scaling of conditions
- make confusion and blind viable in pve
- make certain boons more useful. Let regen scale better with HP
- balance damage for bosses at something that’s deadly for zerkers yet can be tanked by other gear.

It’s not a magical bullet solution but rather solving a set of individual problems compounding the problem.

Defiant would make no difference because control is equally effective with berserker than any other stat combination. Same applies to stuff like Blind and boons (except Regeneration).