Sound Updates

Sound Updates

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

One of our sound designers, Keenan, was kind enough to look into sounds effects related to a few items or areas about which players have reported concerns.

The first thing Keenan examined was the Captain’s Airship. Players said they felt that area had a rather intrusive “hissing” effect. Keenan was able to eliminate the hiss, and while he was at it, he adjusted a few other effects in that same general area. These changes went live today, and we believe you’ll enjoy your visits to the airship even more in the future.

Keenan also is looking at possible changes to two weapons that players have reported as having problematic sound effects: The Dreamer and Quip. He has an interesting idea about how to address your concerns, and we wanted to share that idea to get your feedback: “I’m thinking about trying out an implementation where both of the weapons have new, unique sounds (that are not annoying) while still giving them a very small chance to play the original sounds. It seems to me that would give everyone the same experience, remove the annoyance, and keep the original goofiness that some owners may like about the weapons.”

So we want to sound you out about something:

What do you think of the potential changes for Quip and The Dreamer?

Please note: Each of these changes was or will be a one-off change, and each change takes time of team members who are very busy with upcoming projects. If there are other sound-related issues that you believe we should address, you may add them to this thread. However, please keep in mind that the main purposes of this thread are to tell you about today’s change to the Captain’s Airship and to gather your feedback on possible changes to The Dreamer and Quip. We appreciate everyone’s efforts in keeping this thread on the topic at hand.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Sound Updates

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

The Dreamer is amazing, keep it as it is.

Also people who don’t like the sound effects of Quip and Dreamer now have alternatives in the form of Hope and Chuka and Champawat.

Anet make Rev great again.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

Honestly, I don’t mind the sounds with the Legendaries. The changes would be a good idea though. There are a ton of comments on the forums about them.

Now as for the hissing in the Airship… What is Keenan’s account name? I’ll send them 100 gold to show my appreciation!

Sound Updates

Posted by: slashlizardy.9167

slashlizardy.9167

The changes sound perfectly fine to me, although I haven’t finished either yet, but I do look forward to them eventually.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think it depends on what the new sounds are. Is it possible to get any more detail on that? Maybe hear it (as a youtube video or something)?

The Dreamer is my favourite legendary and main weapon but I’m actually largely indifferent to the sound it makes. It’s not why I like it, but it also doesn’t bother me, so I wouldn’t mind it being changed, but that does depend on what the new sound is.

For what it’s worth I prefered the old sound which was ‘slower’ and ‘deeper’, it sounded more like a horse neighing than the current one and was less shrill which seems to be the main complaint about the current one.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Sound Updates

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

The Dreamer is amazing, keep it as it is.

Also people who don’t like the sound effects of Quip and Dreamer now have alternatives in the form of Hope and Chuka and Champawat.

I will leave others to comment on Quip, but as a player who uses The Dreamer ever day, I want to share some thoughts:

Saying “Get another bow” seems akin to saying, “Let them eat cake.” I would love to own C&C, and perhaps someday I will. But at this time, I am not able to undertake that legendary journey. So I will continue to use the bows that I have: Kudzu and The Dreamer. At the end of the day, I love the bows I have and I don’t know that I ever intend to change. But as a user, I am delighted wtih the prospect of a modest improvement, such as the one Keenan proposed.

Now, I don’t mind the whinnying, personally. I tune it out, no biggie. However, some other users of The Dreamer object to the sound and they tell us they are disturbed by it and that it negatively impacts their pleasure in using an item they spent a lot of time to acquire. And as a user of The Dreamer, I’ve experienced other players sharing… err… a few choice words with me about the sounds.

Given the amount of feedback about the “noisiness” of the bow, I am in favor of the proposal at hand. But I’m just one user, and I’m looking forward to what others have to say. This isn’t a “vote” situation, per se, but input is appreciated and we’ll be reading!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Sound Updates

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I’d prefer just being able to uniquely turn off the Dreamer and Quip sound effects from user preferences (ie. have a slider specifically for gear sounds), but if that’s too much effort then replacing them with something less intrusive would be great. They are hugely bothersome for me, and having to constantly battle my sound volumes based on who is playing nearby me at any given time is very frustrating.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Sound Updates

Posted by: JustChris.8139

JustChris.8139

I dont own the Dreamer nor do i want it, I already hate it when others use it around me. I welcome any change that makes this bow less annoying.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Magi.1847

Magi.1847

I love the Dreamer, and ponies are cute, but that being said, I don’t like the neighing that much. (it’s a bit noisy)

Any magical, cute, glittery sound as a replacement would make me happy.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Amane.9158

Amane.9158

easiest fix in my opinion, turn down the volume for sound (you can leave NPC/dialogue volume up if that’s a concern to you)

Sound Updates

Posted by: Keesh.5689

Keesh.5689

Going to sound odd but is a simple solution to this problem be we unlock two skins of the same look meaning if we wish to have a normal weapon sound we could skin the normal sounding one over the legendary sound one? Also could be a solution for people who dislike footsteps or something ? Allows different people to both eat their cake….. I actually skin my predator just for reason the sound of it gets irritating after a while. Love the look or it though.

Sound Updates

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

I don’t personally have one, but I think many players pursued the Dreamer because of the sound. It would be highly unfair to them to change its behavior in such a significant manner appease a handful of forum complainers.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Going to sound odd but is a simple solution to this problem be we unlock two skins of the same look meaning if we wish to have a normal weapon sound we could skin the normal sounding one over the legendary sound one? Also could be a solution for people who dislike footsteps or something ? Allows different people to both eat their cake….. I actually skin my predator just for reason the sound of it gets irritating after a while. Love the look or it though.

That wouldn’t really work, since a lot of the people who complain about these weapons (particularly the Dreamer) aren’t using it themselves, they’re just annoying by other people using it within their hearing.

So this wouldn’t help them at all, and may lead to some of the…less civil individuals putting undue pressure on the user to swap to the other skin.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Sound Updates

Posted by: OneUP.3024

OneUP.3024

Make that I can’t hear the dreamer sounds if I don’t have the weapon. If people made it and they enjoy the sound effect, that’s fine, but if I play with someone who has the dreamer, the auto attack sound is rather annoying in my opinion. Only the weapon owner should hear the sounds.

Quantify [qT]

Sound Updates

Posted by: khorren.3702

khorren.3702

Please don’t change these weapons. They both have a lot of character to them and considering that people have made these weapons for these reasons, it would kind of blow to have that taken away from them.

I understand some people don’t like these extra noises, so a little “disable weapon noises” would probably be the way to go.

Thanks <3

Jade Quarry :: [BPA] :: [SF]

Sound Updates

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Keep dreamer the same as it is. Its part of the whole package.
Will say keep quip the same too, but I can’t remember its sounds. Don’t think I’ve encountered that many quip users.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Sound Updates

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

As a player who acquired both Quip and The Dreamer primarily for the sound effects, I would be considerably upset if they were changed. That’s perhaps the ONLY appeal of Quip. The Dreamer still has sweet unicorn projectiles, but it’d certainly be a step down to lose those sounds.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Sound Updates

Posted by: Trickfully.1830

Trickfully.1830

yes plz! Playing my thief with the dreamer is soo annoying to listen to. And i get contant complaints from ppl around me cause of it

Sound Updates

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Please dont change quip and dreamer.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Chris McSwag.4683

Chris McSwag.4683

The Dreamer is amazing, please don’t touch it

[eS] Ethereal Synergy
DPS Benchmarks, Raids, Low-mans etc.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Beanna.6712

Beanna.6712

Rather than a minor change to these two specific items, I’d rather have a toggle or slider in the preferences to mute anything that can be considered as an annoyance. The Dreamer and Quip are indeed very annoying for the surrounding players but the Job-o-Tron tools/backpack are just as much annoying for example. Thankfully I can already mute the flutes by lowering the player instruments bar.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Can you make Mjolnir to also have sound of Conjured Lightning hammer?

Sound Updates

Posted by: shaggy.2768

shaggy.2768

I have quip on my engi, you dont hear it hardly since I’m in kits most of the time. the only skill where the sound of quip gets old is thiefs unload.

most of the time the sound of quip or the pony bow brings a smile to me, if the sounds where altered i think it would be a huge kick in the guts for alot of people that have made these legendarys

(edited by shaggy.2768)

Sound Updates

Posted by: Falkor.7932

Falkor.7932

As a fan of the Dreamer, please don’t change it. I couldn’t hear it from my friend using her newly crafted bow (not sure why), and I was really disappointed. As for Quip, I don’t often see it really so it doesn’t bother me either way.

If you ultimately decide to change them, can we please hear them before the change goes live and have a poll? I was really bummed when Kraitkin’s nightmode was removed, so I just ask that you take as much care as possible with changing legendary weapons.

“One time! I slightly blew some of us up one time, and you won’t let it go.”
- Explorer Bekk

Sound Updates

Posted by: Brian.6093

Brian.6093

Please do not change the sound effects of the weapons. People have spent tremendous amounts of time and gold to get the weapons and like the weapons how they are. Taking things away from them would be a first for gw2 and a slap in the face for everyone that worked hard to get those effects.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Anything that removes the possibility that I will ever again be subjected to the horrific sound of ‘that’ bow for extended periods, gets my vote.

Sound Updates

Posted by: DaKenster.5801

DaKenster.5801

I made two quips for the sound and look, if that was changed I would be disappointed with the legendaries I crafted.

JQ- [VG]

Sound Updates

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Personally I find quip annoying, the dreamer less so but for me it’s the spamming that annoys me more than anything.

Nothing worse than seeing a thief spamming unload with quip in LA or when we’re waiting somewhere just to annoy people. So maybe an avenue to explore is making the sounds happen more on skill activation than per projectile launched?

I also liked OneUP’s suggestion of making it only play for the owner and not everyone else who will hear default sounds. Would solve many issues with sounds people find annoying not just on these 2 high profile sounds.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Mich.1793

Mich.1793

I love that effects and i’m absolutely not annoyed listening them, furthermore it was the main motivation for me for making the Quip.
The only proposal i’d like is to add a button in the options to mute weapon’s sound, so who really gets annoyed will just deactivate them.

Please don’t do it.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Shaman.2034

Shaman.2034

I think that the sound effects are an integral part of those legendaries, and they should not be changed. This isn’t a sure upgrade, like Kudzu’s bowstring, or Minstrel’s draw effect; this is a change, and while it will be an upgrade for some, it will be a downgrade for others, and this should be avoided with such expensive skins. Some players made the weapons specifically for the sounds.

I own neither of these weapons myself, and it’s rare I find someone who does. But it would be like reducing the size or duration of my Eternity’s footfalls or trail. Some players might want that, but I certainly do not.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Dinosaurs.8674

Dinosaurs.8674

I find the sounds that both these weapons make to be extremely obnoxious. This would be fine if I could avoid hearing them by simply not using them, but if other players have them equipped I have to listen to them nonstop. In a lot of situations this kills immersion in the game since they are basically novelty weapons, at least as far as the sounds are concerned.

I understand that some people may enjoy these effects, so I would really just prefer an option that is something like “use default sounds for other players”. If that is not technically possible, then I think the suggestion of giving them a different sound effect with a small chance to make the original effect is a good one.

Sound Updates

Posted by: CryptoPseudoNym.3125

CryptoPseudoNym.3125

DO NOT make ANY changes to the sounds made by Quip/Dreamer. I’m slowly working my way to making Dreamer, specifically because of the way it sounds.

And I won’t be happy if that changes.

No changes for me thanks.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Ragnar Stormcaller.6253

Ragnar Stormcaller.6253

I don’t have either Legendary, and I do find them HUGELY annoying, specially when three or four are in the same area like a world boss, or when the owner spams the fire in town just annoy those sorting out their banks. They might think it is cute but they are just being kittens.
That said, I think it would be unfair on owners to change it. I would much prefer a button where I could turn off the extreme weapon effects for myself without losing normal combat sounds.

Sound Updates

Posted by: DeadPixl.2451

DeadPixl.2451

At the very least please allow for other people to get rid of the noise. I can’t stand it when someone is right next to me firing horses in every direction. Enjoy your legendary, but please don’t ruin my experience for it.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I don’t have either Legendary, and I do find them HUGELY annoying, specially when three or four are in the same area like a world boss, or when the owner spams the fire in town just annoy those sorting out their banks. They might think it is cute but they are just being kittens.
That said, I think it would be unfair on owners to change it. I would much prefer a button where I could turn off the extreme weapon effects for myself without losing normal combat sounds.

About as unfair as when they added these sounds …

Sound Updates

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Hmm, ‘sound skins’? If GW2 were being written from scratch an item owner could pick one but other people could override all other sounds in the game …. maybe even have sound sets of those preferences?

Sounds are a bit tricky. Something that is fingernails on the blackboard to one person will be musical ambrosia to someone else.

Sound Updates

Posted by: klissa.1365

klissa.1365

I made quip becuse I love the sound and effects it has, please don’t change it. Thouse that don’t like the sound don’t have to make it, thay can use a diffrent skin.
If you do want to change something on it, the foot prints could be made a little more noticeable. Maybe more of a pop when you step or more streamers, brighter colours?

Sound Updates

Posted by: Kahera.4561

Kahera.4561

I strongly vote for changing their sounds!

Sound Updates

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

No change please. I own Quip and built a whole character around using such a silly weapon.

I’d be willing to trade the sound for much more prominent visual effects though.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Sound Updates

Posted by: Yasi.9065

Yasi.9065

Ive started on “The Dreamer” as my next project in gw2, and it is to 99% because of the sound. I like it. I like the annoying whinnying, because its special, its unique. Which, tbh, should be for every legendary.

Imo, most legendaries arent really that special, and for most weapons I actually prefer gemshop skins.

Not “The Dreamer” though. And thats really mainly because of the sound, it makes this legendary really legendary.

Now… I can understand people getting annoyed by it, its like the Ho-ho-tron bells. Once you are annoyed by it, it can really tick you out, because you start focusing on it.

So how about a compromise? I know its not easy to realize, but maybe we could get a slider in sound options to turn down (or up !) legendary weapon effects?

Personally, until we get more information, Im stopping my project right now. Im not gonna spend time farming for a weapon I like because of the sound, just to get it nerfed into nothingness in the future. I already have Nevermore, which Im not allowed to use anymore because of the ravens. Im not gonna risk another legendary to become useless to me.

So, while Im grateful about getting notified about some planned changes, at the same time the prospect of ANY changes to the sound of “The Dreamer” make me just not wanting to have it anymore.

/edit:
If special sounds arent annoying to anyone anymore, they are mundane background noises, not worthy of a legendary item. Its actually imo the biggest flaw nearly all legendary weapons have. Take Bolt for example. The graphics are nice-ish, the animations are cool. The sounds are boring. Or Twilight. Graphics are supberb, animations really good, sounds non existent.
Its like a dimension is missing with those legendaries.

(edited by Yasi.9065)

Sound Updates

Posted by: SloRules.3560

SloRules.3560

I do not own any of these, but i have to say that if there was a button to mute dreamer, it would be first thing in settings i set. It is sooooooooo annoying. Please change it.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Please. Just classify the sounds of Legendary Weapons as Musical Instruments (such as the Glint hymn – even though it’s not a Legendary weapon). There is already a sound FX adjustable slider for it.

If you don’t enjoy the sounds, you are going to have to make the decision to lower the volume or completely mute Legendary weapon sound FX with all musical instruments and vice-versa. Have it be an option that the Players can control rather than an update no one has control over.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Sound Updates

Posted by: XxsdgxX.8109

XxsdgxX.8109

They need to go asap

Stella Truth Seeker

Sound Updates

Posted by: Malgane.6534

Malgane.6534

I say absolutely do not change them. The sounds could be the entire reason people made them. Never remove features from something like a legendary, that would be a slap in the face. A chance to play the sounds is nothing like always playing the sounds they’ve always made for 4.5 years. It’s far too late. It’s a vocal minority complaining about them.

I have both and would be extremely frustrated if this change went live. Again, they’ve been the same way for 4.5 years and very likely people made them with the sounds they make as part of the decision to sink potentially hundreds of hours of effort into them with no reason to think they’d ever be changed.

Emphatic no.

Sound Updates

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

My biggest problem with Dreamer has always been the frequency. An internal cooldown of 5-10 seconds or only triggering it on non-autoattack skills would greatly reduce the annoyance.

Possibly as a suggestion, see if it sticks, fire off a pony once per cooldown, change the pitch off the irritating whinny (make it lower), and on shots during the cooldown, make it a mellow sprinkling while firing pixie dust. Seems apropos.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Sound Updates

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

I find The Dreamer’s constant neighing really annoying.

And it is obvious other players run around firing it when no enemies are around just to troll people(You know who you are!).

Maybe make the neighing sound trigger every 3-5th shot? That way it keeps its character.

There seem to be less players with Quip, or at least they don’t use it as much to troll, so I got no problem with that one.

(edited by Lucky.9421)

Sound Updates

Posted by: fehyra.2764

fehyra.2764

Imho the best option would be to add a sound option to mute all weapon sounds – quip sounds, dreamer sounds, storm bow one, hunter, astralaria or now beastslayer rifle one (other people also said that). So a player can individualy enjoy/be rid of that noise.
Another thing that came into my mind is that I love my quip sound (and I made it for the sound) but I hate other people’s dreamer’s one so… maybe an option to mute all weapon sounds with the additional option to mute all other players’ sounds but mine. This could also be used in character voices – we have option to mute all voice (retreat!, wahs the pain away! I can outrun a centaur!, etc…) and it would be cool to have an option to hear your character’s voice, but not others…

Sound Updates

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

Is it possible to keep the sounds the same for the wielder, while toning them down for bystanders?

Sound Updates

Posted by: Treeps.5712

Treeps.5712

Since we are changing sounds, how about the Whisper’s Secret Pistol? It has a suppressor, so… should sound different, right?

Sound Updates

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I hate the sounds, they’re very annoying, but I understand people have crafted them for that reason, so:

• The idea of your designer sounds okayish – if it’s rare enough, it’s tolerable – but still rare distinct sounds for no apparent reason can become distracting in challenging content.
  • Alternatively, these sounds can play only for the wielder (client-side), and not to other players.
  • Or these two ideas can be combined: always on for the wielder, but a very rare chance for other players.
20 level 80s and counting.