[Suggestion] Currencies & The Wallet

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

It would be nice to have a gem store purchase that unlocks a new material group of these “currency” items, subject to whatever cap the other material slots have.

With a single section (expanded as new quasi-currencies are introduced), there wouldn’t be endless nickle and diming for space, and more than 250 slots would be available. It would help keep the wallet screen from getting cluttered, but currency items would not be available on demand — you would still need to plan ahead and pull what you need from the bank. On the plus side, they could be automatically deposited like other materials.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

(edited by perilisk.1874)

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I like the idea of a collapsible/expandable section of the account wallet for zone or event specific currencies.

Maybe do the same thing for the collectibles section of the bank, any mats that are event specific should go there with collapse/expand function to view.

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Overhaul everything!

Introduce a new tab in the wallet for our collectables so they no longer are limited to stacks of 250. Refund gems to those who bought the expanders! This way I can finally free up my 8+ 20 slot bags filled with nothing but ascended mats that will never have a functional use in the game.

Once this is done, remove character specific crafting and instead make them account bound so a character can access any craft from any character regardless of the one they’ve logged into (if you know the same craft multiple times, only the highest is selectable. To choose the other you must be on that specific character). Refund gems for those who paid for a 3rd craft! Or, introduce Tradesmen!

To stream line crafting further they can sell us ‘tradesmen’ that we can install in our home instance. Each tradesmen can be assigned a craft that the player has researched on one of their characters. This selection is permanent.

The tradesman will have an interface much like the normal crafting one where you can choose an item you want them to make. They’ll then give you 3 options. Either craft the item and mail it to you because you had enough materials to do it. They’ll alert you that you are missing required components and email you a list of the items you need. Finally, they’ll give you the option to simply have them purchase the additional items needed and charge a convenience fee for doing so.

Posted by: Veron.8645

Veron.8645

Currencies go in wallet.

Crafting materials go in material storage.

Just do not make any dual-function items that are both a currency and a crafting material. If you want to introduce both a currency and a crafting material in the same release, add a vendor that can convert your currency to the crafting material. If there already exists an item that is both a currency and a crafting material, make it a currency and change all existing recipes to use a new crafting material that you need to get from a vendor using that currency.

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Make the wallet a bank tab.

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

I had previously suggested elsewhere adding a new tab to your regular inventory that provided a space for 1 stack of each of the types of items. This would be very similar to the material storage but would be included in your regular inventory. After that stack is filled, these items would start stacking in your regular inventory. I made this suggestion in this way assuming that there was a reason these items were not made currencies to begin with, however, this post seems to say there wasnt a reason they were not currencies.

Right now we’re sort of splitting out things you can “spend” between three different places: Your inventory, your bank, and your wallet.

At its core, we need to decide on one of these to compliment your inventory and call it good. As we’re continuing to introduce more items like the geodes and bandit “hello my name is” crests, this has obviously become even more of an issue

Ultimately, we either need to let you spend materials from your bank directly at vendors so you don’t need to keep them in your inventory (and then make geodes/crests materials) OR continue to make the wallet larger and larger. Or option #3 we haven’t considered yet you might think of in this suggestion forum!

Either way, we’re aware of the need and will address it “when it’s ready™”.

If my original suggestion there were to be implemented due to some reason as I assumed, I would also request that the “stack” number for a given item would be equal to the highest number of that item you can use at once at a vendor rounded up to the nearest 250.

However, if I make a new suggestion it would be something like this.

Currency items are moved to the currency tab. This would include geodes, bandit crests and any other current or future items like this that are solely used as currency.

Other location specific items like lockpicks, bandit keys, lockpicks, shovels, mordrem extractors, things like that can be moved to a new tab in the regular inventory. This new tab could come from the gem store (my least favorite option), as a type of crafted box or, my personal preference, from a region specific unlock. The new tab could have categories with collapsible panels like recipe crafting view. After completing some achievement (eg, in SW, use 20 shovels and open 50 chests unlocks the SW tab or something like that) which can accommodate all the non-currency SW specific items.

In fact, this method could extend out to other areas that have items that kick off events like the energy crystal for oola’s lab, dwarven keys, etc.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I would suggest to remove most currencies and make currencies in general (mainly) gold less important by allowing to obtain items more directly in the game.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

I don’t agree with the concept, but not all the details.
- Transmutation charge???? Use them and you won’t have to deal with them. Why do you keep them in your inventory?
- Geode and Bandit Crest, i’m split. I wouldn’t be split if they add more use to them. Especially for Bandit Crest. You can’t buy much stuff with those Crest.
- WvW Tournament Tokens. That I agree with. You will earn them on a regular basis at each season.
Queens Gauntlet Tickets : That was a time limited event. You can delete them or keep 1 stack of 250 if you want. No need to a place on the wallet.
Bauble and Bauble Bubble : Maybe if they leave SAB permanent. But seriously you can transform Bauble into Bauble Bubble and who have more that 250 of those without using them?
Black Lion Ticket Scrap & Black lion ticket : Do you have more than 250 of those? It take 2 space in your bank, no need for a place in the wallet.
Lockpicks (Zepherite, Bandit and whatever new ones we get) : Don’t agrre at all. Use what you have, no need to accumulate them to buy something.

Some people do this thing called saving up. Or don’t know what they want from the vendor. And from what I’ve read, some of the vendors have items that cost more than 250 of the item or are in craft recipes that call for more than 250 of them.

Or they don’t want anything now, but may at a later time.

And I for one, haven’t used a single Transmutation Charge. Heck, I never used them when they were still stones and crystals and did take up a spot in the bank/inventory.

I know. That’s why I agree with that kind of currency being in the wallet.

But who have 250+ Bauble Bubble, Black Lion Ticket, or Lockpick in their inventory? Maybe Lockpick, but why buy 250 lockpicks just to store them? Keep your crest and geode that could be in the wallet and buy lockpicks when you need them. Lockpicks are item you buy with currency, they are not a currency.

And for transmutation charge. I just don’t get it. Double click on them and they are added to your account. There is NO reason to keep them in your inventory. Even if you don’t want to transmute anything. You click on them and you will have them ready if eventually you want to transmute something.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Snippity Snip

Some people do this thing called saving up. Or don’t know what they want from the vendor. And from what I’ve read, some of the vendors have items that cost more than 250 of the item or are in craft recipes that call for more than 250 of them.

Or they don’t want anything now, but may at a later time.

And I for one, haven’t used a single Transmutation Charge. Heck, I never used them when they were still stones and crystals and did take up a spot in the bank/inventory.

I know. That’s why I agree with that kind of currency being in the wallet.

But who have 250+ Bauble Bubble, Black Lion Ticket, or Lockpick in their inventory? Maybe Lockpick, but why buy 250 lockpicks just to store them? Keep your crest and geode that could be in the wallet and buy lockpicks when you need them. Lockpicks are item you buy with currency, they are not a currency.

And for transmutation charge. I just don’t get it. Double click on them and they are added to your account. There is NO reason to keep them in your inventory. Even if you don’t want to transmute anything. You click on them and you will have them ready if eventually you want to transmute something.

I’m not sure that its because of having a whole stack for the keys. At least not for me. It has more to do with having to split/keep swapping them amongst all our toons. I currently have 13, of which 3-4 have been doing the dry top/SW stuff, so thats 3-4 separate piles (not full stacks) of keys/geodes/crests that all could be unified in one place (the wallet).

I wouldn’t include the baubles, unless they rework how the SAB ‘wallet’ upgrades function. They would have to rework that somehow to both allow you to store baubles on other toons (like you can now), while still having the limiting function of the wallet.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Personally, I would prefer to have the tokens moved to the wallet if they aren’t an ingredient in MF or crafting. That being said, I hope that each new map does not add a new token/currency to it. I would rather see a specific token/currency for each map region E.G: Geodes specifically for the Magus Falls region maps(the map does look like it’s branching south) and Bandit Crests specifically for the Magumma Wastes maps—which happen to look like they’re branching north.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Right now we’re sort of splitting out things you can “spend” between three different places: Your inventory, your bank, and your wallet.

At its core, we need to decide on one of these to compliment your inventory and call it good. As we’re continuing to introduce more items like the geodes and bandit “hello my name is” crests, this has obviously become even more of an issue

Ultimately, we either need to let you spend materials from your bank directly at vendors so you don’t need to keep them in your inventory (and then make geodes/crests materials) OR continue to make the wallet larger and larger. Or option #3 we haven’t considered yet you might think of in this suggestion forum!

Why not expand the wallet, and categorize its currency listing by areas, similar to how achievements are categorized? So we’d have something like: General, Dungeon, Tyria and Mists.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Currencies that have no value beyond being used as currencies should never be items that take up inventory space. That means the following should absolutely appear in the wallet:

• WvW Claim Tickets
  • Geodes
  • Bandit Crests
  • Black Lion Ticket Scraps
  • Bauble
  • Bauble Bubble
  • Queen’s Gauntlet Entrance Ticket

So forth. Obviously, it make sense to split up the Wallet possibly into multiple tabs or something to distinguish between temporary or location-dependent currencies, dungeon currencies, and so forth. I would imagine the division as follows:

• Basic
    • Coin
    • Gems
    • Laurels
  • Specialty
    • Guild Commendations
    • Badges of Honor
    • WvW Claim Ticket
    • Black Lion Ticket Scrap
  • Dungeon
    • Ascalonian Tears
    • Seals of Beetletun
    • Deadly Blooms
    • Manifestos of the Moletariate
    • Flame Legion Charr Carvings
    • Symbols of Koda
    • Knowledge Crystals
    • Shards of Zhaitan
    • Fractal Relics
  • Tyria
    • Geodes
    • Bandit Crests
  • Temporary
    • Bauble
    • Bauble Bubble
    • Queen’s Gauntlet Entrance Tickets

I think this would make the most sense.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: DaG.5103

DaG.5103

I’m a big fan of just expanding the wallet – but in an organized way. Add two tabs – one for Dungeons, and one for World currencies. Not only does this solve the inventory space and the “transferring currencies” problem, but when a new player looks through their wallet, they can hover the mouse over the Bandit Crest box and it will tell them “Acquired through helping the Pact contain the Mordrem threat in the Silverwastes, or as a reward from related Story missions,” with a telescope they can click to show them exactly where to go.

This is exactly the kind of smooth content integration that ArenaNet is always working for, and I think it’s the cleanest way to add it in. As a new tab in the wallet, it’ll take 14 more map-specific currencies before it would fill, and at that point either starting another tab or adding a scroll bar would still suffice.

Vendors accessing the Materials storage is an interesting idea, but I think it is more confusing – I thought the whole point of one of the Feature Pack 2 updates was to make that Materials only? And the initial Wallet implementation already changed dungeon tokens from materials to currency only. I am in favor of keeping currencies and materials completely separated, but would still be interested to hear more specifically how this change would be implemented.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

IMO, option #1 (let you spend currencies from the bank and make them collectable) isn’t even a real option, at least not in terms of stuff like the bandit crests and geodes.

Collections hold 250 items by default. Every “big ticket” item you buy with Geodes or Crests costs well over that amount, and that’s not even taking into account the fact that many people will hoard Geodes in excess until they can happen upon a T6 Dry Top to spend them on. So making a collectibles spot for those would help very little in the grand scheme of things. Sure, you’d clear up one spot in your inventory, but that’s ultimately only a small help if you’re holding onto a half a dozen stacks waiting for the right time to spend.

And because of the prices of the items as mentioned, that also wouldn’t do much of anything to help the issue of having a few stacks of Geodes on one character, finding yourself in a good Dry Top instance and wanting to spend them on another character. Sure, you may have 250 of them in the bank, but if you want to buy a 340-geode recipe you’re still out of luck.

I suppose you could store excess amounts in the bank tabs if you could sell from the bank directly (at least I assume it would work from all parts of the bank and not just collections) but you’re still using up tons of bank space on extra currencies then.

Unless you’re going to make the collection slots for those items unlimited (if that’s even possible), then I just don’t think that would solve much of anything. It would help, sure, but if you’re going to work on a solution you may as well do a solution that completely fixes the issue entirely, not just helps a bit.

The wallet was designed for the exact purpose of storing items which serve zero purpose except as currency (at least that’s how I understand it), and that’s exactly what Geodes and Bandit Crests are. Besides the items you can buy and the method of acquisition, there’s no difference between them and dungeon tokens. Tokens are in the wallet, and so should be Geodes and Crests. And any future items of similar function.

If the wallet becoming “cluttered” visually is an issue, then I’d say the best idea would simply be to organize the secondary currencies (like dungeon tokens and these crests / geodes) into sub-categories. Instead of just having every one displayed right there in the wallet from the get-go, put all the dungeon tokens in a Dungeon category, all the regional tokens like Crests into a Regional category, ect. That would actually make the wallet look more organized than it currently is, while also giving you more than enough room to add to it.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

I dunno about tabs. I like the “see everything at a glance” function of wallet as it currently is. Plus, they’d have to change how it works to allow us to click on a tab.

Posted by: DaG.5103

DaG.5103

I dunno about tabs. I like the “see everything at a glance” function of wallet as it currently is. Plus, they’d have to change how it works to allow us to click on a tab.

What about allowing both, sort of like your inventory? A gear drop down that lets you choose between “tabbed view” and a view-everything with a scroll bar?

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

Thing is, you’ve got several different problems going on here. Some of them are your problem, some of them are ours.

• All the new events and areas use new currencies to help isolate them, minimizing possible unforeseen interactions with other aspects of the economy. Personally I think this is a reasonable solution to a difficult problem. It is, however, inherently short sighted and shallow. Ideally you’d have a better economic system that allowed people to adopt a common standard of currency like… oh… money. And then use that everywhere, rather than resorting to arbitrarily limited barter. I doubt that’s ever going to happen.
  • All the new currencies that are not in the wallet consume space in our inventory and/or bank. Bad for us because it consumes precious slots, great for you because it makes us buy more slots.
  • Some things are sufficiently rare to REALLY be barter items, typically things that are exchanged at a 1:1 rate, like amber fossils. Anything we acquire stacks of, like geodes, are clearly a currency.

You guys dug this hole, by building an economic system that relies on segregation of rewards. The system that is best for the player is that all currencies go in the wallet.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I think you should define some rules about which items should be placed at.

Wallet = Currencies.
Inventory = Consumables, Additional weapon sets/ stats, loot, keys, etc. Anything of temporary nature or for combat customisation.
Bank = Any form of collectibles that do not have their own tab, repetitive/ redudant items, etc. (Extra ascended collectibles, items for scavenger hunts, etc).

Posted by: Baltzenger.2467

Baltzenger.2467

Here is my suggestion:

Don’t add them to the wallet, nor the bank, and take them away from the inventory.
Make a new tab on hero panel with a name related to “exploration”, where you could add the new regions (and or festivals, I wouldn’t mind festival “tokens” added to the wallet), in this tab we get the new regions listed, and to each we can get some flavor text, and all the related collectibles listed (like geodes, bandit badges, monster pieces, amber insects, skeleton keys, lockpicks, etc) similar to what we see on collections.

In addition to this, when you login into each region that is related to this, you’ll get small counters on the screen showing, with small icons, how many of those items you have (for example, on silverwastes, you get a small icon of bandit badges plus the number of those you have, an icon of skeleton keys with their number, and so on).

This way, the interface related to this, potentially growing list of different items, can be dynamic (we don’t really need that info on screen or on our inventory, or on the list of our wallet, when we are not in a place where we can spend them), yet we still have the option to look for them, outside of those maps, on our hero’s panel.

And to list possible problems of the first 2 options you mentioned:

• If they are added as materials for the bank, we will still have trouble keeping more than 250 of said items (which is fairly common), and we wouldn’t be able to see how many of those we have on a quick manner.
  • Adding them to the wallet, will potentially make the list shown when you hover your mouse pointer over your “gold counter” too large and hard to read. Those things (geodes and bandit badges, or lockpicks and skeleton keys) are not really currencies but more like commodities we trade or use.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

My thinking:

If the only use an item has is to be taken to a vendor and exchanged for other items (aka it’s a currency) then it should go into the wallet. There are limitations to the wallet; mainly that it makes any use but this one impossible but there are still plenty of items (like all the existing currencies and the geodes and bandit crests) which fall into this category and my understanding is that the wallet was intended for exactly this purpose: so that it could be expanded over time to include new currencies.

If the UI is an issue different tabs could be added, or it could scroll up/down. (I realise this would be extra work over and above simply adding new currencies, but I think in the long-term it would be worth it because once it’s been done you can add as many currencies as you want/need to it.)

If an item’s only or primary function is to be used for crafting then it should go into the materials tab (foxfire clusters for example). This has the benefit that because they’re still objects that can be placed in our inventory they can retain other functions, like the gems which are used by jewellers but can also be slotted directly into upgrade slots.

If an item doesn’t fit either of these two categories then it can stay in the bank/inventory. Sure this will include some things that some players stockpile but I suspect you’d be hard pressed to find anything (even non-stacking items) that no one has hung onto ‘just in case’. For the vast majority of players it would still be a significant reduction in the amount of stuff they’re having to store in there simply because they’re acquired in smaller numbers than they can be spent/used.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Could you just lift the restriction on 250 stacks. To get a lot of the rewards for the LS you have to acquire ridiculous numbers of stacks of things so it’s becoming a real problem.

The bank should be for storing any armour pieces or weapons that we aren’t using, not for having to store all of the LS currencies, blood stone bricks, etc.

Posted by: insanelyapple.2870

insanelyapple.2870

(snip) continue to make the wallet larger and larger.

I’ll paste my reddit post:

There’s nothing wrong with going by second option and making Wallet bigger; it could be slightly redesigned by adding flippable pages/panels like in any other game’s GUI or tree similar to one that we can see in Hero’s Equipment panel. Currencies could be categorized by type:

• main section for gold and gems
  • activity rewards (laurels, perhaps also karma and guild commendations),
  • competitive mode tokens (badges of honor and any additional one in future)
  • dungeon tokens (regular one and fractals)
  • regional tokens
  • temporary festival currency
  • additional services that could cover transmutation charges, yesterday’s ideas about makeover changes that could be turned into another kind of charges or joined with transmutation ones into single type to avoid player confusion™

Perhaps there could be a place for BL scraps or full tickets but this doesn’t sound like these should be turned into another currency type

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Create tabs/folders within the wallet. Any item that is solely used for vendor purchases should be in the wallet. If an item can be used in a craft or mystic forge recipe, it should be in the collections tab (I’m looking at you, mystic clovers and icy runestones).

We get that you make money selling bank tabs, but isnt that what fractal rings, dragonite, bloodstone,and empyreal are for?

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

My thoughts on this:

This doesn’t really work because some items serve several purposes:
There are items in GW2 that serve as both “tokens” (in other word, currency) AND crafting/forging material. The solution is to treat them as currency – but let people “withdraw” any amount (for instance, by purchasing a craftable or forgeable item from a vendor).

Examples:

• Fractal relics and pristine fractal relics, or
  • dungeon tokens and “gift of <x>”.

This way you can still design freely any crafting or MF recipe (“ingredient 4? 5 gold!”) without classing a currency as non-currency.

Ultimately, we either need to let you spend materials from your bank directly at vendors so you don’t need to keep them in your inventory (and then make geodes/crests materials)

This is short-sighted. There is a big difference between a crafting material that you need between 2 (i.e. luck) and 100 (i.e. bloodstone dust) of to craft something, or that you need 1000 (=4 stacks) of to buy even a single item from a vendor (bandit crests). Even if I could deposit a single stack of bandit crests, that really wouldn’t help my inventory all that much. The primary purpose of bandit crests is to serve as tokens to buy stuff with, the price of up to 1000 per item reflects that – and they should be treated as such.

OR continue to make the wallet larger and larger.

… incidentally, that was the very first thing that came to mind when I first see the wallet: “WHY would they design it in a grid layout that makes it impossible to add things later – knowing full well that with almost every release we get one or more new currencies???” and was the first criticism stated. Dear ANet, you knew this beforehand, please don’t use the design of the wallet as an excuse now.

Or option #3 we haven’t considered yet you might think of in this suggestion forum!

A wallet in list form instead of grid layout would perfectly solve this. Add collapsible sections (like in the achievement section or like on the TP) and a search field on top.

For items that are used as both a currency and a crafting or forging ingredient, add a vendor where people can transform one into the other (as is the case already with dungeon tokens).

This would fix all my problems.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Would it be possible to have variable stack sizes? I mean, 250 is the default stack size (potentially higher in collections), but could it be possible to allow stacks of, say, geodes to stack up to 1000 or more in a single slot? That would greatly reduce the inventory issues.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I think that just adding to the wallet would be fine. Just add tabs. Yes, eventually it could become unwieldy, but it’ll be a long time before that happens.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Mark me down as a vote for not adding more currencies in the first place.

I’ve posted elsewhere before about adding a Favor system to maps, and have thought about it since.

Here’s the basics:

• All merchants on the map take coins or karma.
  • Your Favor level on the map determines what items are available
  • Favor is tied to the map’s achievements.
    • Add achievements – some repeatable – for completing events, slaying enemies, and the types of little tasks that would fill hearts on older maps.
    • Similar to meta-achievement tracking, the number of achievements accomplished advances you toward the next tier of Favor.
  • Favor tiers can not only unlock items at merchants, but also give the player other rewards, such as permanents buffs while on the map, unique items, and titles.
I should be writing.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

I’m going to be contrary to everyone else posting here and go for option 3, only don’t do anything. Now before I continue, I’ve bought 2 of the material storage expanders so I can stack up to 750 of every item that goes in Material Storage, and at some point I might just buy the remainder. I only have 4 bank storage boxes, but if I wanted to, I would buy the maximum amount of those as well…as it is, I have approximately 3k Bloodstone Dust and Dragonite Ore and ~500 or so Empyreal Frag…and most of that is in the bank. I honestly have no idea what I’d with more bank space though, don’t really need to save armors or weapons for alts(those stay on the characters in the invisible bag or what have you). Major and Superior Runes and Inscriptions?, sure, those are in my bank, and a few other things…otherwise I manage my items, and I don’t store them, that is completely unnecessary, especially with stuff that doesn’t appear to be going away…like the new currencies…absolutely no reason to keep huge stacks of them, if I need them, I’ll just get more…they’re quite easy to accumulate. Of course, this is just my opinion on the subject, and one of many.

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

Apologies if this was suggested earlier and I missed it; please make foxfire a material that can be collected. I’d suggest the same for mystic forge stones, and all of those mystic specific things. Some you can choose not to buy until ready to forge, it’s true, but the foxfire clusters take up precious space which, if you are working on Mawdrey, is already cluttered with various ingredients.

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Might want to duck and grab a shield after that last bit. Eat some fire salts for +Flame Resistance

No way, that was a great answer. They are aware of the problem, looking for a solution, are open to suggestions, and will put a fix in when they find one. How can you flame them for this? That’s one of the most direct and straightforward messages we’ve received from the Iron Fortress of Silence. I could almost propose now…

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

Make tiles smaller, expand number of possible tiles, add a scroll bar, all wallet and currency problems solved forever.

Attachments:

Posted by: SheenaMalfoy.8079

SheenaMalfoy.8079

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2mmhti/i_saw_the_red_post_about_potential_changes_to_the/

I’ve posted here my possible solution to the issue. I’m well aware that I’m not an artist, but I believe its a simple organisation that would solve many problems and shouldn’t be too hard for the devs to implement…

Posted by: SheenaMalfoy.8079

SheenaMalfoy.8079

Make tiles smaller, expand number of possible tiles, add a scroll bar, all wallet and currency problems solved forever.

My issue with this layout is that it gets very cluttered very quickly. There’s no overall organisation to it, it’s just a bunch of blocks.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Good to know you are looking at this. That said, I’m concerned it isn’t a clearer picture. But perhaps I am misunderstand. The question is, how are Geodes fundamentally different than dungeon tokens? Bot are exclusively given as rewards in a very particular area, and both are used as a currency to buy exclusive (and nonexclusive) items for that currency.

Unless I’m missing something, they are fundamentally the same. And if that is the case, then the same mechanic should be used for consistency. The wallet was a great solution to the token issue, so if they are fundamentally the same then one must logically conclude that the wallet is the right place for Geodes (and other similar currencies)

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Asgaeroth.6427

Asgaeroth.6427

My issue with this layout is that it gets very cluttered very quickly. There’s no overall organisation to it, it’s just a bunch of blocks.

Mine isn’t organized because it’s fictional.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think this is one of those “Why do you even have to ask?” moments. If it’s used as money, it goes in the wallet.

If it’s used for crafting, it goes into materials.

If it’s used for both, it should go into materials, but be spendable from the bank.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

Currencies that have no value beyond being used as currencies should never be items that take up inventory space. That means the following should absolutely appear in the wallet:

• WvW Claim Tickets
  • Geodes
  • Bandit Crests
  • Bauble
  • Bauble Bubble

So forth. Obviously, it make sense to split up the Wallet possibly into multiple tabs or something to distinguish between temporary or location-dependent currencies, dungeon currencies, and so forth. I would imagine the division as follows:

• Basic
    • Coin
    • Gems
    • Laurels
  • Specialty
    • Guild Commendations
    • Badges of Honor
    • WvW Claim Ticket
  • Dungeon
    • Ascalonian Tears
    • Seals of Beetletun
    • Deadly Blooms
    • Symbols of Koda
    • Knowledge Crystals
    • Shards of Zhaitan
    • Fractal Relics
  • Tyria
    • Geodes
    • Bandit Crests
  • Temporary
    • Bauble
    • Bauble Bubble

I was going to post something similar, but decided just to quote you because it’s almost exactly how I think the wallet should be, and that is to be broken into categories so it feels more organized and not seem all crammed in there.

And it doesn’t matter what type of currency it is, whether it’s permanent or temporary, if it’s something you use to spend to get stuff, then it BELONGS in the wallet.

The wallet was a huge Quality of Life for the game, but it has more room for more quality to be done. So here is me crossing my fingers Anet can improve this even further.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

Posted by: Chokapik.3741

Chokapik.3741

I think a good way to do it would be having them in the wallet, but hidden when you have 0 of the item (ex: you have 0 geodes, they don’t appear). This way it’s not too messy,

Side suggestion: Put junk items that you can buy for 1 crest/geode, so we can clean up the leftovers. Even though some people might not want do to this (too lazy, not the most convenient, …), at least it’s there. (I mean, I would do it if I’m not going to return a map for a while).

Escape from Rata Sum: http://orikaru.net/ratascape
Guild Emblem Editor: http://nailek.net/gw2/emblemeditor

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Firstly, I have not read the full thread.

Secondly, it seems that new currencies are made in order to prevent people from just popping in, using saved up old currencies to buy the reward, and ignoring 95% of the new content.

To some degree, I honestly don’t mind this. But I also get why Anet would want the lock the Ambrite weapons behind new currency and the like.

This said, here’s my thoughts:

• It is NOT an issue to have the wallet expanded. The only annoyance there could ever be is looking through it to see how much of what you have. Scrolling is not an issue here and if that honestly does seem like an issue to Anet – which it isn’t – then they can easily shrink the size of the boxes and icons if needed.
  • Consolidate past currencies! Each new update (or every few updates) seem to add a new currency. However, after that update, the currency becomes ‘old’ and effectively pointless. Group old currencies together into one type of currency. For example, when Season 2 is ended, turn Geode rewards into Bandit Crests (and whatever other non-super-specific currency is created for Season 2), including those in the inventory already, and make Bandit Crests a wallet item. This will increase the size of the wallet, but not nearly as much as it would with a direct tranversal.
  • If the item is used as a currency and not for crafting/Mystic Forge – put it in the wallet; if it is used as a currency and for crafting/MF – put it in the bank.
  • Don’t have currencies that trade into just another type of currency. E.g., Black Lion Ticket Scraps – the only use for them is to trade them for Black Lion Tickets; remove the scraps, turn them into tickets (and current tickets into 10 tickets for 1) and multiply weapon costs by ten. Then toss the tickets into the wallet – bam, two inventory spaces saved. Currencies that can be traded in for more than just another currency (e.g., Baubles) is not that big of a deal.
  • If wallet size is a problem, and it should only be such for coding and not aesthetics, then remove things not needed for being in the wallet – e.g., transmutation charge number. Put that to always show in the Wardrobe tab, and remove it from the wardrobe.
Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Here’s another thought that no one appears to have realized…what’s the simplest way to try and keep people from hoarding items?…..

Make it take up inventory and bank space…it’s quite possible that the design decision behind all these new currencies is that they don’t want you saving up thousands of them, but to use them as you get them, otherwise they’re going to take up space in your inventory and bank…and maybe you’’ll buy gems for more bank tabs, bag slots and character slots for mules.

Posted by: Pha.5693

Pha.5693

I think this is one of those “Why do you even have to ask?” moments. If it’s used as money, it goes in the wallet.

If it’s used for both, it should go into materials, but be spendable from the bank.

I have to completely agree with this one.
Some linearity would be nice…. With the new LS it feels like that they did everything to take up you brank space on purpose, so you would buy more bank tabs. Instead of just following their own example in the past e.g. see quoted post above this text.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I see two options.

Either introduce a token inventory separate from the inventory and wallet.

Or introduce a token section/tab of the bank and extend vendors to take payment from the bank directly.

A new tab is likely the better option, so that they can fit 1000s pr token type without requiring a gem store expenditure. This because right now we need nearly 1000 tokens of certain types, and that means 4 slots of 250 stacks!

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I have to completely agree with this one.
Some linearity would be nice…. With the new LS it feels like that they did everything to take up you brank space on purpose, so you would buy more bank tabs. Instead of just following their own example in the past e.g. see quoted post above this text.

I fear it is not intentional, but a limit of the game engine.

Seems to me that non-item currencies can only be added to the game by modifying the game engine directly.

But adding tokens can be done by adding a object to the drop tables and item database. Thus it can be done by some intern with access to the game editor.

Posted by: Cometknight.9473

Cometknight.9473

i have this amazing idea and if someone want to expand on this then great.please help im just trying to put my idea down while i still have it
right now everyone is talking about expanding an in game UI

what if we use the character select to move item between toons
-highlight toon
-a UI button underneath the achievement panel will appear
[Orgniz Bagz]
- two windows appear onscreen side by side

• your toons bags and an extra tab for gear equipped(swap you acended trinket around)
  • your bank tabs

-you can drag and drop between windows
-Click the neat little UI button to close the window or hit [Esc]
[Finished?]

as for the random LW tokens we can just add another colletion tab label it “whatchamahcallitz”

- let the npc detect whats in your Collection bank tabs the same way the crafting UI can detect that you have 2 jute scape next to your stack of 250 BLC in your bank tab

5 lvl80 Warriors……..and counting

(edited by Cometknight.9473)

Posted by: Tjalzor.2135

Tjalzor.2135

Why split that “event” currency in the first place. Now it is getting out of control since Dry Top has its own currency, Silverwaste has its own currency etc.

Why not make a account wide currency for story lines with a cap of say 1000 credits. This way you cannot farm that currency so that you can buy instantly everything from the newer story line. And this way it is possible to participate in the newer story line and events on the map (where all the people are) and still be able to buy stuff from previous stories (like amber weapons and receipts)

In this way you:
A. Keep players together finishing events together.
B. Keep true farmers from collecting to much, since there is a cap for this type of currency
C. Do not have to introduce each time a new type of currency
D. Keep players satisfied since they can spend this type of currency not only on this Story line items but also on previous story line items

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Sounds like a solution may not happen until feature pack 3 but who knows.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Wallet’s please. Bank material has a limit (depending on how much gem you spend up to about 1500 last I checked), and inventory also have a space limit (again depending on how much gems you spend to some limit). However wallet seems limitless (and given the rate at which I’m getting bandit crests…).

Or produce a new and innovative system, in which we no longer need to introduce new currencies because as I see it new currencies is just a way of getting everyone on the same starting points i.e. those with massive gold or karma don’t get any particular advantage.

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

Another name for this thread might be “Things that shouldn’t be it items.”

• Consolidate past currencies! Each new update (or every few updates) seem to add a new currency. However, after that update, the currency becomes ‘old’ and effectively pointless. Group old currencies together into one type of currency. For example, when Season 2 is ended, turn Geode rewards into Bandit Crests (and whatever other non-super-specific currency is created for Season 2), including those in the inventory already, and make Bandit Crests a wallet item. This will increase the size of the wallet, but not nearly as much as it would with a direct tranversal.

This is a good compromise between using new currencies and using existing currencies.

I’m sure this is done to prevent people from running in and buying everything with gold and karma, but once the season is over there’s not really a reason for that. Especially since you’ll still want players in those regions after the season is over, merging the currencies makes the potential population for all a season’s regions bigger.

There might even be an argument for merging those currencies into karma after a great deal of time to limit the build up of season currencies.

Posted by: Terrasque.8735

Terrasque.8735

• WvW Claim Tickets
  • Geodes
  • Bandit Crests
  • Bauble
  • Bauble Bubble

• Basic
    • Coin
    • Gems
    • Laurels
  • Specialty
    • Guild Commendations
    • Badges of Honor
    • WvW Claim Ticket
  • Dungeon
    • Ascalonian Tears
    • Seals of Beetletun
    • Deadly Blooms
    • Symbols of Koda
    • Knowledge Crystals
    • Shards of Zhaitan
    • Fractal Relics
  • Tyria
    • Geodes
    • Bandit Crests
  • Temporary
    • Bauble
    • Bauble Bubble

This. Very similar to what I was thinking. Add tab buttons at the top or bottom, something similar to Skyrim’s SkyUI mod.

For the tab names.. I’d rename “Tyria” to “Living Story” and “Temporary” to “Festivals” or similar.

Posted by: Merus.9475

Merus.9475

It’s worth thinking about rewards that don’t fit the mould of a currency that still clog up the inventory. like shovels in the Silverwastes, keys and key fragments in the Maguuma Jungle and Wastes, reward buffs, and even things like the vote tokens and badges we saw during the election in Season 1. The wallet isn’t a good solution for these kinds of reward structures because they’re situational, you need to interact with them and see them coming into the inventory, and the wallet metaphor breaks down when you’re putting things that aren’t currencies in them.

One of the problems with the wallet is that items that go into it aren’t visible when people are looking at their loot. This isn’t really a problem for gold, as it’s not really relevant how many gems or gold people have when out in the field, but it’s a big deal for geodes, because if you have enough geodes you want to buy something before the vendor resets. It’s also a big deal when there’s a new release, because players don’t necessarily know that bandit crests, say, are available, or important.

Here’s one idea: an Explorer’s Kit. It’s a consumable that unlocks a very situational material storage/wallet focused around a particular zone or playstyle. Each Explorer’s Kit has a slot for specific items/currencies that go in it – no more than about 8 slots in total. The UI appears in the inventory in its own section, and you can only see one Kit at a time. You can send items to it, and you can use items in it, but what you can do with it outside of that is limited, and you might not be able to get them out of the kit once they’ve been put in.

For instance, the Dry Top Explorer’s Kit would appear in Dry Top and have a space for keys and fossils and a count for geodes; the Fractal Explorer’s Kit would have a space for the mist essences and pristine fractal relics, and the WvW Explorer’s Kit would have spaces for WvW Boosts and basic siege blueprints alongside badges of honor. You might have an Ascended Explorer’s Kit that holds ascended material currencies like dust and empyreal fragments which is accessible near crafting stations. The Wallet would show your universal currencies, as well as all the Explorer Kits you have and what’s inside them.

This has the advantage of wallet-type solutions – namely, a higher stack size than 250 without taking up inventory space – without items just disappearing into the black box of the wallet. Items go into your inventory when first entering an area, but when you get the kit, you see a prominent hole for items not yet acquired. Kits can be acquired through different means, whether it’s by buying them from a vendor, completing a meta achievement, or by spending gems to pay for the data storage.