Suggestion: Mounts [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

i will ignore the ad hominem and qoute yourself:

’I just hate it when developers keep bringing back old stuff. If you like to repeat history and keep doing what you’ve been doing, you should go back to WoW. They’ll give you lots of the “same thing.”

Mounts that give speed boosts are old hat, they introduce lazy ‘ride past content’ behaviour, unless as i said at best they dont offer a speed boost’

You’re wrong. We already have “ride past content behavior” already.

Being creative would be playing around with the concept. Simply taking it out is just giving up. Making us stick to walking is going back further than the stone age.

1) “You’re wrong”
We do have this behavior, its called permanent swiftness.
2) “Simply taking it out is just giving up”
You can’t give up on something that was never implemented to begin with. GW2 has the magic carpet in the Gemstore if you simply want a mount. If you want speed with your mount use swiftness.
3) "Making us stick to walking is going back further than the stone age. "
You may not know this but many people walk daily, despite not being in the stone age.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

7 pages and it’s still not merged with the main mounts thread despite several reports.

~smh~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Arenanet has introduced lore, updates, income and variety with a lot of different methods that do not require mounts, these benefits are not worth it in the dev’s eyes, why? Could be a lot of reasons, I’d guess it’s one of these:
a) The % of the population that wants it is way too small.
b) It goes agaisn’t their design philosophy.

No

Horse has been beaten over and over and over again, let it die. It’s not happening, if it’s THAT important to you then feel free to move on to a game that meets your mount needs.

No. I already said why.

”That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence”
Hitchen’s Razor.

You’ve yet to show any correlation that supports anything you claim, this has been pointed out multiple times in the last page, saying “nanananaaaa I’m right !!” is not an argument.

After three pages of this nonsense I think we should just leave the OP alone. This isn’t the thread you want to be in if you want an actual, intelligent discussion.

Yep, came to that conclusion about halfway through the first page.

Why hasn’t this been merged with the well-known Mounts thread by now? Are the mods on vacation?

Again, it’s not about just the mount. It’s about saving this game. Stock prices are still too low. And, mounts would be a natural pleasant boost to the income as well as the lore.

Stock prices, que? What lol

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Mounts would be great. I’ve often wondered why they aren’t already in the game. As someone who has spent 100’s of dollars on the game I welcome mounts.

Even if they add no functionality I’d take them.

Sure, why not. Give us some of those dinosaur mounts or even some cool armored horses. Heck, give me one of those large plant based wolves. I’d ride that around.

Riding broom, magic carpet, sonic tunneling tool. There are your mounts, fill your boots.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: miraude.2107

miraude.2107

Please no. I don’t want another World of Warcraft, I like GW2 because there is no mounts to deal with covering npcs, no riding/flying to upgrade, no mobs/bosses being sniped from above, etc. Plus, GW2 is hardly dying. The guild I’m on here always has someone on and chat is always moving, compared to WoW where the only time you see guild chat move is when someone says ‘grats’ to an achieve and trade chat is the only place you see convos going on.
So please. The grass is only greener on the other side because there’s more bullkitten to be had.

Posted by: Finalstrike.8259

Finalstrike.8259

Two words: Mounted Combat.

Guild Wars 2 already has a wonderfully intuitive skill system, wherein your character’s first five slots are dictated by what he/she is holding in their hands. Its a great tool and it works. Now, suppose that what the character is holding is the reins/remote/gearshift of a land-based mount… the possibilities are epic.

Whether you’re crushing your enemies under the treads of an Iron Legion Scout Tank, ripping them asunder with the talons of your Seraph-trained War Gryffon, goring them on the horns and hooves of your Shiverpeak Dolyak, punching them down with the stony fists of your Asuran Battle Golem, or bringing the fury of nature to them aboard your own Caledon Oakheart, they’re gonna have a bad time… and YOU are gonna have an absolute blast.

But, that’s just my two cents. What do you all think? Mounts in GW2: better off absent? just another speed boost? or This. Looking forward to seeing your ideas as well.

(edited by Finalstrike.8259)

Posted by: InvaGir.9158

InvaGir.9158

I would love to see mounts with combat in the game
would play this while exploring the world:P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2KwEJ3Mp4k

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

You’re getting gliders.

Now we really have no need for mounts.

Deadhorse.gif

Posted by: FlashAhAhh.4307

FlashAhAhh.4307

Hmm… While normally I belong to the “not needed and not gonna happen” brigade, but you’ve given it a nice spin… I don’t mind this idea at all.

What about a new map where EVERYONE is mounted and the mount type is determined by your class and each mount has different combat skills…..

Could actually be awesome! Not as a way of transport, but a new type of combat and something a little different.

Posted by: InvaGir.9158

InvaGir.9158

You’re getting gliders.

Now we really have no need for mounts.

Deadhorse.gif

Why we can’t have both things?!
how gliders makes mounts useless?!

you know its a video game there are no limits for things you can have

Posted by: Odin of Ark.4860

Odin of Ark.4860

Why make ANOTHER mount thread? Theres already a thread for mounts.

Posted by: FlashAhAhh.4307

FlashAhAhh.4307

He isn’t after mounts to just make travel faster. His idea is to use them to advance the combat system…. I think it has merit.

Posted by: OtterPaws.2036

OtterPaws.2036

He isn’t after mounts to just make travel faster. His idea is to use them to advance the combat system…. I think it has merit.

Its probably gonna get merged anyways.

OT: Ill pass on mounts, The OCD in me will make me have to collect them all.

~Hart Warband~
Levi Ironhart, Cassandra Irehart, Lucio Trothart
Discord Gearhart, Naevius Soulhart, Frisk Softhart

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I want a mount to make it easier (and more stylish) to get from one thread about mounts to the next thread about mounts. Everyone knows that navigation in the forums is wonky, so why not give us a little icon of a little rainbow horsie that we can click on to take us to other threads about getting rainbow horsies in this game, just like folks have them in other games.

tl;dr two words: no, thanks.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Serious.4839

Serious.4839

They could tie in mounts with an expansion with this structure.

Something like a Kralk expansion with 4 expansive desert zones without many waypoints, mounts masteries for combat or perma super speed.

Edit: and maybe bring them to central Tyria in some form a few months after release to entice the f2p or HoT players.

Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Serious.4839)

Posted by: thisisit.6954

thisisit.6954

This will just get merged with all the others, yes, deadhorse.

Posted by: Conqueror.3682

Conqueror.3682

if you want mounts, go play WoW, in that game there is plenty of mounts

Only in death, you find true freedom

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I’ve played an MMO that added vehicle combat years after launch and it looked terrible, because the simple fact is you can’t just shove vehicles/mounts into a game that doesn’t have proper vehicle/mount controls.

Mounts can’t turn on a dime like our characters can without looking horrifyingly cheap, because if they turn too fast it’ll behave like you’re wearing a cardboard cutout of a mount in some elementary school play. Also forget about turning on a dime at all in a charr tank, you’ll need a lot of space otherwise you’ll wind up like the gif below.

It would be an entirely new combat system on top of our current combat system, with its own balance considerations (both in mount vs. mount and mount vs. infantry). I don’t believe it’s that revolutionary to warrant the effort.

Attachments:

Posted by: Rio.4259

Rio.4259

We have waypoints. And Swiftness. And super speed. And gliding. Dont need mounts. For the 1000th time.

Also, for those that want them to sit around on waiting for events to start…think about what happens to the minis when the map starts to fill up. I wonder if the same thing would happen with mounts. >.>

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Oh wow I didn’t think there could be another mount thread after the Tyria gliding one got converted into “MOUNTS, MOUNTS, MOUNTS…”

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

I like your idea, but you know what would be more awesome? Glider combat.

Finalstrike.8259

Again, the whole point isn’t really in the idea of map traversal. Guild Wars 2 has several systems in place already for making transportation around the map fast and simple. Waypoints are definitely the fastest way to go… but the environments in this game are so pretty; its almost a shame to use them unless you’re traveling quite far. A creature you can ride or a vehicle you can drive looks stylish, would have neat animations, and still allow you to cruise around the gorgeously rendered quest zones.

Gliding sounds cool, and its definitely a nice feature thats frankly been a long time coming… but can you joust while riding a kite? Think of the awesome pvp styles and zone content that could be built around such a style.

Not trying to rile an old topic, but rather rethink it; reinterpreting ideas is the iterative cycle that drives good game design.

Bottom line: Many games include mounts… but not very many games actually make the act of using a mount FUN. This could maybe do that, but hey. Just one player’s opinion =)

Finalstrike.8259

I like your idea, but you know what would be more awesome? Glider combat.

Sounds cool, I’d play the heck outta that. Players could drop bombs on ground targets, such as siege equipment in pvp. Or, try to blast eachother of the sky using bows, spells, pistols, etc. Guild emblems proudly painted on the back of your glider, as your formation sweeps in to claim an objective.

I dig this idea. =}

(edited by Finalstrike.8259)

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Good grief, not this again!

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

What about gliding with your horse!? Turn your horse into Pegasus and take to the skies! Im being sarcastic of course.

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Rio.4259

Rio.4259

What about gliding with your horse!? Turn your horse into Pegasus and take to the skies! Im being sarcastic of course.

Only if it’s a dead horse.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

The idea is almost as old as people asking for mounts. So nope, nothing new here. Just a dead horse getting beat, once again.

It won’t happen. Why? Because:

- mounts produce more visual clutter. Unlikely arenanet would increase visual noise as they call it when they’ve been trying hard to reduce it ever since HoT launched

- there have been other games trying mounted combat. The fewest of them succeeded in making it fun, even fewer of those were MMOs

- balance. Game is hard enough to balance as is, adding more things to balance won’t make it easier

Those are the 3 big ones right at the top of my head. Not even going to get into lore, playerbase preferance, etc.etc.etc.

But as is always the case, this thread will get merged sooner or later. Then 2-4 weeks later, another new player discovering the official forums will let this dead horse rise again.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I think there is room for a mount class or elite spec.

I mean they did go so bold as to put in cavaliers with HoT.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Three things are certain in life. Death, taxes, and mounts threads.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’ll post this again, since this is what I think of when I hear gliding, mounted combat.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

I’ve seen it done in at least one other game. Not terribly keen on a reprise of that.

Posted by: Rollingonit.1309

Rollingonit.1309

If they put them in lockboxes, I will uninstall and never reinstall. If they put in gem store for a reasonable price and also place them as ingame rewards id be alright with it.

People who say GW2 is too small, I dont think have played any other MMO. There are plenty plenty of them that have mounts in much smaller worlds.

Edit: I also agree with the delicacy of balancing them. It could cause issues.

(edited by Rollingonit.1309)

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

While I’m usually against mounts, something similar to what OP requested already exists in GW1 and it gave me an absolute blast! Litterally, since I failed to tame it on the first try…

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Siege_Devourer

So yes, I’d like to see temporary versions of Battle Tanks and Oak Hearts, etc given to players as event rewards. They’d vanish when you leave the map, but exploring the map with one would be fun. They could also have a follow mode where they follow you around like a pet or companion and attack stuff.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Reverielle.3972

Reverielle.3972

Mounted combat would simply not work in GW2. Lord of the Rings Online has done mounted combat quite well, but their zones are multiple times bigger than GW2, and were specifically designed for it.

It would be lovely (as LotRO mounted combat was quite good) but the game just isn’t designed for it at all.

Posted by: zeldara.4127

zeldara.4127

I personally would say no to mounted combat. Well maybe just in specific mounted combat arenas, but not in the open world. Lotro has it and while it sounded fun at first it is actually in retrospect the main reason i don’t play Lotro anymore. The whole feel of the game and your class changes. The character and skills you gathered and love become obsolete often becouse a mount can do it technically better/faster often in the mounted areas, in fact it’s often nerfing yourself greatly if you don’t, as it’s adjusted to mounted combat.
Basically I felt it replaced my character with another character if i didn’t want to have a way harder time doing thing, and I definitely preferred the original one. Also the world felt a lot smaller when you travel and fight on horseback and the enemies and spreading of groups of enemies had to be adjusted to mounted combat.

As for pure speedboost. I don’t think it’s needed with all the portals and the speed boost skills, but i don’t see any harm in it either and it would be fun to have more looks (in the shape of mounts to gather). But please an auto dismount in the big cities to prevent piling up of huge mount butts on top of a vendor and so on.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Would you please stop comparing it to mounted combat in LotRo and start comparing it to mounted combat in GW1?

In fact, GW2 already has what OP asks for in the form of transformations (Armors in Tarir, Oakhearts in the Sylvari starter area, etc). The only thing missing is to make the mount available on the whole map and to place a model of our character on top of it.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Honestly, having it as an alternative combat system is the only merit mounts have in GW2. However, that’s a lot of balance work or a very lacking in uniqueness system. To the point where I don’t think it’d be worth it.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Finalstrike.8259

While I’m usually against mounts, something similar to what OP requested already exists in GW1 and it gave me an absolute blast! Litterally, since I failed to tame it on the first try…

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Siege_Devourer

So yes, I’d like to see temporary versions of Battle Tanks and Oak Hearts, etc given to players as event rewards. They’d vanish when you leave the map, but exploring the map with one would be fun. They could also have a follow mode where they follow you around like a pet or companion and attack stuff.

Tbh, that mission with the Siege Devourer in GW1 was actually my inspiration for this whole post. Its one of the most memorable events I can think of from Eye of the North, and probably one of my favorite missions in the series.

Finalstrike.8259

GW2 already has what OP asks for in the form of transformations (Armors in Tarir, Oakhearts in the Sylvari starter area, etc). The only thing missing is to make the mount available on the whole map and to place a model of our character on top of it.

^This, exactly. The type of gameplay I’m envisioning wouldn’t need to be very fundamentally different from what already exists.

Posted by: Cosbuster.4379

Cosbuster.4379

if you want mounts, go play WoW, in that game there is plenty of mounts

I will never understand this way of thinking. Guild Wars 2 has many features inherited from other popular MMOs. Is that a bad thing? Should we avoid features that would complement the game just for the sake of avoiding them? Perhaps we should start removing other popular features also found in WoW and focus on making the game the most hipster possible, rather than the most fun.

Edit: Remove gliding please. Aion had it first.

(edited by Cosbuster.4379)

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Guild Wars 2 already has a wonderfully intuitive skill system, wherein your character’s first five slots are dictated by what he/she is holding in their hands. Its a great tool and it works. Now, suppose that what the character is holding is the reins/remote/gearshift of a land-based mount… the possibilities are epic.

Whether you’re crushing your enemies under the treads of an Iron Legion Scout Tank, ripping them asunder with the talons of your Seraph-trained War Gryffon, goring them on the horns and hooves of your Shiverpeak Dolyak, punching them down with the stony fists of your Asuran Battle Golem, or bringing the fury of nature to them aboard your own Caledon Oakheart, they’re gonna have a bad time… and YOU are gonna have an absolute blast.

But, that’s just my two cents. What do you all think? Mounts in GW2: better off absent? just another speed boost? or This. Looking forward to seeing your ideas as well.

They would have to redo EVERY skill that has an animation. That is not going to happen and it is a waste of resources when that money and developer time could be used to start to fix up professions properly.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Kattenpootjes.4291

Kattenpootjes.4291

Well they already stopped being different than any other mmo so adding mounts couldn’t possibly ruin it any more, maybe it’ll happen someday

Posted by: zeldara.4127

zeldara.4127

Would you please stop comparing it to mounted combat in LotRo and start comparing it to mounted combat in GW1?

In fact, GW2 already has what OP asks for in the form of transformations (Armors in Tarir, Oakhearts in the Sylvari starter area, etc). The only thing missing is to make the mount available on the whole map and to place a model of our character on top of it.

i can’t compare it to gw1, as i never played it. And thus lotro is the only one I CAN compare it to. I’m sorry that seems to upset you so. Well actually I could have compared it to GW2 transforms, but i didn’t think about that. So forget I ever said lotro and just read it like i said GW2 transforms instead if that makes you feel better.

Transformations itself would do the exact same thing for me as lotro mounted combat. I do not like transformations much for this exact same reason, and i don’t like a full replacement set of skills either for that reason in various personal stories. I picked the character I play for a reason as well as his/her skills. Really Lotro mounted combat there IS in my opinion an GW like transform (mountpants) that replaces all your skills with new ones when used but with added speed/different way of moving and made it close to mandatory (which is my pet peeve with it).

If mounted/transformation with it’s specific replacing skills is no stronger, just different from your normal skills I would have no problem with it. I won’t feel like i have to use it, but i can to mix things up when i would like (and options ios always good) It basically just gives each character more skills to switch to, like a engineers toolkit and so on, just called mount. If it becomes “mandatory” becouse it’s clearly the more powerful option, It would become a new meta you almost have to pick or needlessly nerf yourself. That is what I fear might happen. If it doesn’t…. bring on transformation fighting horsepants mounts for all I care. Then I don’t see any reason why I would be against it.

If you can use your own skills and none gets replaced mounted then all it really is is a speedboost with cosmetic horsepants. Again I would not mind this but it might make some fights even more trivial as enemies don’t have this speed advantage and i don’t see many people ever dismounting then where not forced.

If you can’t use your skills and you won’t get replacement skills either it is just the standard horsepants speedboost of many mmo’s. Which I would not mind either. But has obviously nothing to do anymore with mounted combat.

(edited by zeldara.4127)

Posted by: Meridian.4983

Meridian.4983

I’d love to ride my deadhorse.gif into battle. Or a moa jousting, running with charging arrowheads (instead of bulls). Well maybe not the last one, but would be hilarious to see in DR.
On the serious side, I’d like mounts just for the little extra speed. Waypoint loading times can be obscene, especially during events. Anyone that’s made the run to a barbed gate in DS, died in the Silverwastes, or completed the Shadow Behemoth pre-event in Tamini Foothills will know what I mean. It’s not a necessity for me, but would be fun and save some time.

[NA] | BP
Zombie | God | For the Pass!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

snicker

They have issues balancing combat as it stands…. and you want to throw mounts into that mix?

Ahahahahahahahahaahaha

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Attachments:

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

And just for the humor….

Attachments:

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

No to visual clutter. That is all mounts really are in other games anyway.

I don’t want to see this every time I try to talk to a merchant or NPC

Attachments:

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: Derdhal.6908

Derdhal.6908

If we are talking about gameplay mechanics, we can’t compare almost nothing of GW1 with GW2. Because GW1 isn’t an MMO. That mounted combat was designed to be used in specific instanced maps by a team of, at most, 8 players. It’s similar to the HoT mission of the bunny. Nothing to do with massive open world maps of GW2.

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

Good grief, not this again!

That is a good point sir, let me add something

Attachments: