[Suggestion] Mounts?

[Suggestion] Mounts?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I like the game. Last thing I want to see, is a bunch of pointless critters that folks sit on, ruining frame rates by forcing the system to process unnecessary graphics.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

You CAN’T EQUATE armor to mounts. The Armor shell is already in game, they just need different artwork on it. Mounts mean new physics, modeling etc. What don’t you understand about that.

Players have been crying for new content, more of the world open, etc . and all you can say is MOUNTS? Right……

What. Did someone reform the laws of physics when horses suddenly enter Earth?

Game engine physics, not real world ones. The horses would not enter Earth but a virtual world.

Armor means new modeling too. What don’t you understand about that? Is every armor suppose to look like the Flamekissed/Flamewrath set?

No, new armor means new textures. Mounts mean not only new textures, but new wireframes, and many, many other things (new animations, collision boxes, new object interaction, changes to combat engine – a ton of stuff). It’s not just a matter of painting a horsie.

• Can’t think of new physics that has to be added in that isn’t in game already. So, did the laws of physic reform? No.
  • I’ll take you seriously if you can prove that Phalanx armor is a carbon copy of the Orrian armor.

Pretty easy about the game physics – horses react a certain way to their rider and that need to be in the game. It is not just painting it in and it is done. Also with Charr and Norn, the horses or mounts would have to be that much larger in scale.

As someone said, it is not just paint a horse in GW2 and it is there. For Pete’s sake, this is the most optimized game as far as CPU usage. That is the most important thing, mounts are a trifle and not that important or interesting at that. Let them FIX the game before ANYTHING ELSE.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Kalastraer.8264

Kalastraer.8264

No. No. A million times no. Flying mounts, along with lfr and lfg ruined world of warcraft. I don’t want immersion in this game to be ruined by everyone flying around saying ‘OH LOOK I CAN GET ALL THE WAY UP HERE’ and kitten.

Yes, making it easier to group for dungeons and letting people who would ordinarily not raid see raid content are terrible, terrible things.

Seeing raid content =/= boring and stupid way to gear. Lfr is practically required for raiding now, and I hate spoilers

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

/no

thank you, that is all

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Phenix Flyer.6724

Phenix Flyer.6724

I respectfully disagree with OPs suggestion. My reasons being it believe it would not only undermine the exploration and movement over the game, but also the game concept and quite unique design aesthetic. Guild Wars 2 is an MMO that intentionally distances itself from other more lets say cartoon like MMO franchises “cough”. In all honesty they would be the equivalent of a Skritt Shinny collectible and maybe a 8 slot bag, I don’t think its worth Anet considering an MMO gimmick like mounts.

As a concession to those who really really want them maybe do a guild rush riding giant siege devourers or armored saurus if they aren’t extinct already.

~ Sylvari Ranger, [BGW] Jade Quarry ~
“I blame Kormir”

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

Come ooooon. Is there some secret society, dedicated to create threads about mounts every kitten day? 0_o

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Come ooooon. Is there some secret society, dedicated to create threads about mounts every kitten day? 0_o

The Illuminhaaaaaaati.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Name.9625

Name.9625

NO. Just plain and simple No. And again No.

P.S: Stop creating a new thread about mounts every other day.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

About time this thread got merged….
Flipping 3-4 mount threads on the front page…

Devona’s Rest

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

what the heck is going on this week with all the equestrian madness? Alien mindbend rays from outer space?

At a guess, disappointment that mounts will not be included in the April 15 feature release.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: OptimistPrime.9283

OptimistPrime.9283

There isn’t a “LOLOKAY, HERE ARE MOUNTS” button. The creators would have to dedicated a lot of time to creating an entirely new model that each character race and size would work with. On top of that, each armor, including heavy, medium, and light for EACH race would have to work with the horse model, which does not exist.

It is time consuming for something that is not wanted by the majority of the community.

So, no.

Darkhaven’s giant purple cat thief thing

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

There isn’t a “LOLOKAY, HERE ARE MOUNTS” button. The creators would have to dedicated a lot of time to creating an entirely new model that each character race and size would work with. On top of that, each armor, including heavy, medium, and light for EACH race would have to work with the horse model, which does not exist.

It is time consuming for something that is not wanted by the majority of the community.

So, no.

You have no idea whatsoever how modeling and animation work do you?

They would not have redo any armor for mounts, they would just have to ‘marry’ the animation bones from one model to the other, not that difficult. In fact its even simpler in GW2 than it would be in most games because our animations are made to where the upper and lower body can run animations independent of each other.

But it’s not like that matters since 90% of the people in this thread are blind bandwagoneers who have made their decision based on peer-pressure and will not change it again for save for the same reason.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

So, no.

They would not have redo any armor for mounts, they would just have to ‘marry’ the animation bones from one model to the other, not that difficult. In fact its even simpler in GW2 than it would be in most games because our animations are made to where the upper and lower body can run animations independent of each other.

But it’s not like that matters since you and 90% of the other people in this thread are blind bandwagoneers that will not be convinced by any amount of argument.

Something wrong when you’re expecting people to have this sort of technical expertise. Also it’s quite strange from the perspective you’re speaking from…
Do you a designer working for Anet???

Devona’s Rest

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Conncept.7638

So, no.

But it’s not like that matters since you and 90% of the other people in this thread are blind bandwagoneers that will not be convinced by any amount of argument.

Something wrong when you’re expecting people to have this sort of technical expertise. Also it’s quite strange from the perspective you’re speaking from…
Do you a designer working for Anet???

Nope, just a design student, might work for ANet someday if they’ll have me.

And that’s no excuse, I don’t know much about the programming end of design yet, so when I see a discussion about that, I don’t participate, and I especially don’t make up stuff I know nothing about to push my opinion. If you don’t think ANet should use resources to make mounts then say so, and say why you think that. And for cripes don’t add in nonsense you lack the expertise to back up, there is nothing wrong with just giving your opinion as a player and nothing more.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Why is this already on 8 pages?!?!? No. No mounts. No. This is the 45690854906-86580 thread on this subject. Just stop. You want a mount? Go play WoW or LoTRO, or any other game that needs them.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: MAD CAT.9321

MAD CAT.9321

all you mount haters are funny

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Its not that i hate mounts. They just have no place in this game with its mechanics. Literally NO place in this game.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

[Suggestion] Mounts?

OptimistPrime.9283

So, no.

But it’s not like that matters since 90% of the people in this thread are blind bandwagoneers who have made their decision based on peer-pressure and will not change it again for save for the same reason.

I never once said they would have to redo armor. Clearly you focused more on designing than you did reading.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Conncept.7638

each armor, including heavy, medium, and light for EACH race would have to work with the horse model, which does not exist.

I never once said they would have to redo armor.

?

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

all you mount haters are funny

As are you pro-mount people.

The Burninator

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Mounts would take away an in-game gold sink in the form of WPs, so, WON’T HAPPEN and that’s a good thing, a no to mounts built into the game.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

[Suggestion] Mounts?

OptimistPrime.9283

each armor, including heavy, medium, and light for EACH race would have to work with the horse model, which does not exist.

?

I am not entirely sure what you are missing. I never said armor would be redone for the mount. The mount model, however, would have to work with every race’s armor (light, medium, and heavy) to avoid clipping, which is already an issue. (Look at Charr armor, for instance).

Not once did I state that any armor would have to be redone. Maybe you should squeeze a few language courses into your studies.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Conncept.7638

?

I am not entirely sure what you are missing. I never said armor would be redone for the mount. The mount model, however, would have to work with every race’s armor (light, medium, and heavy) to avoid clipping, which is already an issue. (Look at Charr armor, for instance).

Not once did I state that any armor would have to be redone. Maybe you should squeeze a few language courses into your studies.

So, in other words, you said major work would need to be done on already completed armor models (read your own post), with no technical knowledge of how it would actually be done? Yet that major work isn’t ‘redoing’ it simply because you would rather argue the semantics of that word than actually admit you were completely blowing out hot air and have no idea what you were talking about? Because I can tell you not only would armor not have to be ‘redone’, there would not need to be any work on any armor models at all. Marrying the lower body animations to horseback would take a matter of minutes, then at most a few hours to add in some weight shifting and reactionary animation. And none of that would fail to work with armor as it currently exists.

Sounds like I’m not the one who needs educating, you could use a good ol’ lesson from our buddy Abe. “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.”

(edited by Conncept.7638)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

I don’t understand why so many people in the community seem to have zero imagination, vision or creativity.

Oh, i agree. Mounts are so cliche… can’t we ask for something new and creative instead?

None of you have provided a reasonable basis for them to not be on the game.

It’s not like people asking for mounts supply any reasonable reasons for their inclusion.

Except none of the reasons have been any more acceptable than those for them.

“I don’t like mounts” Yeah well, some people do. So that’s not a reason.

“Other games have mounts, play those” Other games have quests! And maps! And load screens! And PVP! And levels! Lets remove all those too! Or rather, why don’t people leave for WoW/Tera/Whatever the hell else for those features too!

“Mounts and anti-immersive, clunky, badly implemented, Lore defying” Really? Really now? Show me the proof for where in GW2 Mount use hasn’t been allowed. Maybe no one thought of it yet lore wise? We’ve already had unorthodox mounts on the form of ships in missions, golems, portals/elevators/lift systems and others. And as for anti-immersive, well, what about minis, many legendaries and skins, many NPC joke quotes, tonics and many other features like Candy-Cane weapons and the like? What makes any of those immersive? Find me the line in Lore that says that Minis are actually a in game lore feature, that are central to the story. I challenge you.

“Clutter and clipping” Yeah well, Norn and Charr can do that solely from existing so the last thing on your mind should be mounts when two races cause that issue already.

“We already have waypoints” right, so let’s remove speed boosting abilities and stuff that grants swiftness.

The only basis I’ve seen is, “There’s too many things ANet needs to do first”, which doesn’t really disqualify them, rather, it just sets back their prioritisation. In terms of reasoning for removing them, there is nothing stopping ANet from implementing them aside from, “We don’t want to” or “It’d require more resources than it’s worth”, the latter of which I can sort of understand I guess.

If you want to play that card. I got one better.

I have yet to read one good or compelling reason to add them. NOT a single one. The game was built around not needing them. Sorry.

My issue is that people say, “No we don’t want mounts, nobody likes them, they suck, they’re bad” for reasons equally silly as asking for them. Asking for them however gets away with it because there’s no harm in simply asking. If you’re going to say no, however, provide a reasonable basis as to why. Imagine what this game would be like if everything was decided on what forumers did and didn’t like? Good grief.

Except since you are the one that wants a change to Gw2. A change that makes some people actually sick to just think about…..

The Burden is on you to give reasons that overcome the objections of others.

I prefer the status quo. I do not need reasons to prefer that things remain as they are other than.." because I Like things as they are."

You are the one that wants a change. You need reasons more compelling than " because..I think mounts are cool.. and I want it."

So your argument is simply the back-and-forth game? ’Kay then.

No, My argument is, that there are many reasons already stated as to why for gw2 mounts are a bad idea. Aesthetics is one, but there are others, and there is No reason to keep repeating them, … they are there to be read.

BUT… those that want mounts seem to have basically Put foreward only one reason.." I want it, gw2 can do it… and we don’t care who doesn’t want it."

All I am arguing is, you need more than just " I want it."… because .. Anet doesn’t want it at this time, and Most players seem to be adamantly against it.

So form arguments that don’t basically amount to " because I want it" and maybe you Might convince someone.

Or can it possibly be that there are no other arguments for the inclusion of Mounts? Other than " I want it"?

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

OptimistPrime.9283

?

So, in other words, you said major work would need to be done on already completed armor models (read your own post)… Because I can tell you not only would armor not have to be ‘redone’, there would not need to be any work on any armor models at all.

I am honestly surprised you managed to write an Abraham Lincoln quote without misquoting him. Go back and read my post, which you so obviously love to bring attention to. Never do I say that armor needs to be edited. Quite the opposite, actually. What I was saying was that the mount model would have to reflect a wide variety of armor types. Making the mount work for each unedited armor type per race would be difficult to make aesthetically pleasing.

This has nothing to do with changing already existing armor, which you decided to fabricate in your first reply. (Go back and read the thread, as you advised me to do).

And if you are going to pretend you are literate enough to quote a historical leader, at least pretend you pulled your head out of the sand long enough to read my post as well, the next time you decide to misquote me.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Dusty Moon.4382

?

So, in other words, you said major work would need to be done on already completed armor models (read your own post)… Because I can tell you not only would armor not have to be ‘redone’, there would not need to be any work on any armor models at all.

I am honestly surprised you managed to write an Abraham Lincoln quote without misquoting him. Go back and read my post, which you so obviously love to bring attention to. Never do I say that armor needs to be edited. Quite the opposite, actually. What I was saying was that the mount model would have to reflect a wide variety of armor types. Making the mount work for each unedited armor type per race would be difficult to make aesthetically pleasing.

This has nothing to do with changing already existing armor, which you decided to fabricate in your first reply. (Go back and read the thread, as you advised me to do).

And if you are going to pretend you are literate enough to quote a historical leader, at least pretend you pulled your head out of the sand long enough to read my post as well, the next time you decide to misquote me.

Anyone and cut and paste a quote from WIKI.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: UnYoYo.7402

UnYoYo.7402

No. No. A million times no. Flying mounts, along with lfr and lfg ruined world of warcraft. I don’t want immersion in this game to be ruined by everyone flying around saying ‘OH LOOK I CAN GET ALL THE WAY UP HERE’ and kitten.

Dodo, this is gw2 it first got a “swiming” system and second got like 10 years more of improbements than WoW.

wat to do? just copy the swiming system to the air! lol

the intances can be fixed as well, they can put silver mobs in the air “at strategic positions”

The fantasy absorb the happyness, and the
happyness absorb the fantasy.
If not, how u can be in one world at the same time?

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

Then, there is the Charr. I can’t even imagine what a Charr would like like on a mount…

http://www.horsenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Cat-Riding-a-Horse.jpg

That.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

So that we don’t have multiple posts saying the same things with different wording I am going to issue multiple choice for both sides based on the general issues they bring up.

1.) I want mounts because:

a.) Immersion.
b.) Reasons.
c.) Mount haters don’t have legitimate reasons.
d.) so easy to do!
e.) THEY have mounts. (points to other MMOs)

2.) I don’t want mounts because:

a.) waypoints already exist, so no point in having mounts.
b.) extra screen clutter.
c.) possibility of griefing with mounts.
e.) this isn’t every other MMO
f.) unfair advantage with speed boost.

Choose your poison.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I like the game. Last thing I want to see, is a bunch of pointless critters that folks sit on, ruining frame rates by forcing the system to process unnecessary graphics.

Yeah lets also remove those other critters in the game. They are really useless and legendary weapons, so kitten useless and extra graphics.

Why don’t people who don’t want mount just say so but do the have to come up with those bad excuses as to why.

It won’t fit in the lore while in fact having no mounts does not fit the lore. It’s not needed (it’s a game, nothing is needed, it’s just for fun thats the idea about a game). It shrinks down the world (the waypoints alternative does that way more). Your one is a new low.

As far as I have seen the real reason for most people ie ‘because WoW’ but whatever it is don’t come up with bad excuses then just say ‘I don’t like it.. no good reason just don’t like it’.

I btw would like it if they would implement it properly.

In other MMORPG’s there where about 4 things I was doing all the time. Doing fun professions (those usually send me all over the world getting items and recipe’s and stuff), collecting mini’s (same would also send you all over the world but the way it’s implemented in GW2 it’s boring), collecting rare pets for my ranger (also not implemented in a fun way in GW2) and collecting mounts. If they would implement them I think they would likely implement it the same way as we now have mini’s so then I also don’t think it will add much to the game. But if done right they will add a big element to the game.

Problem is that GW2 monetized exactly that part of the game taking is basically out of the game as a game-element. Still I think implementing mounts would be fun.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

So that we don’t have multiple posts saying the same things with different wording I am going to issue multiple choice for both sides based on the general issues they bring up.

a.) Immersion.
b.) Reasons.
d.) so easy to do!

Choose your poison.

Well you forget a lot of element for having mounts. Like possible adding a whole new PvE element to the game (collecting them in the world.) I don’t think Anet would implement them in a good way looking at there track record but still it’s an option.

Also when introducing them for new maps they can decrease waypoints so they would make the world feel bigger.

They could also bee seen as an extra form of skin just like legendaries and this whole game pretty much is about skins so it would make sense from that viewpoint.

Lastly many people simply think it’s fun to have them.

About the negative. Screen-clutter would only be a possible problem inside city’s and it would be possible to let people dismount there.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: MSFone.3026

MSFone.3026

If they add mounts I’ll quit.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Dusty Moon.4382

a.) Immersion.
b.) Reasons.
d.) so easy to do!

Choose your poison.

Well you forget a lot of element for having mounts. Like possible adding a whole new PvE element to the game (collecting them in the world.) I don’t think Anet would implement them in a good way looking at there track record but still it’s an option.

Also when introducing them for new maps they can decrease waypoints so they would make the world feel bigger.

They could also bee seen as an extra form of skin just like legendaries and this whole game pretty much is about skins so it would make sense from that viewpoint.

Lastly many people simply think it’s fun to have them.

About the negative. Screen-clutter would only be a possible problem inside city’s and it would be possible to let people dismount there.

What new PvE element? None – you can get anywhere faster by portals than a mount. The world is big enough – mounts make worlds seem smaller not bigger.

As was said, it is more than ‘clicking add mount’ in their game engine. Too many things have to be looked at, balanced, AND MODELED. It is NOT A TRIVIAL THING YOU ARE ASKING FOR.

I just feel there are many things that can be more useful in the game like an out house……

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: daemon.1387

daemon.1387

Having mounts makes GW2 look like just another mediocre Korean MMO. That’s probably the main reason people don’t want mounts.

Crappy Korean MMO has mounts, GW2 has mounts, thus GW2 is a crappy MMO. People like to make irrational associations.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Dusty Moon.4382

Having mounts makes GW2 look like just another mediocre Korean MMO. That’s probably the main reason people don’t want mounts.

Crappy Korean MMO has mounts, GW2 has mounts, thus GW2 is a crappy MMO. People like to make irrational associations.

First, GW2 is an American MMO – A.Net is in Washington State. The parent company is Korean but that doesn’t affect what A.Net does.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Nerelith.7360

You CAN’T EQUATE armor to mounts. The Armor shell is already in game, they just need different artwork on it. Mounts mean new physics, modeling etc. What don’t you understand about that.

Players have been crying for new content, more of the world open, etc . and all you can say is MOUNTS? Right……

What. Did someone reform the laws of physics when horses suddenly enter Earth?

Game engine physics, not real world ones. The horses would not enter Earth but a virtual world.

Armor means new modeling too. What don’t you understand about that? Is every armor suppose to look like the Flamekissed/Flamewrath set?

No, new armor means new textures. Mounts mean not only new textures, but new wireframes, and many, many other things (new animations, collision boxes, new object interaction, changes to combat engine – a ton of stuff). It’s not just a matter of painting a horsie.

So your argument is simply the back-and-forth game? ’Kay then.

He doesn’t need to have an argument. He’s not the one arguing for a change after all.

She…doesn’t need. And this is exactly my point. I am Not the one asking for something NOT currently available. I am saying " they are not currently available, I agree with the devs stated Intent to not provide them at this time. My reason is aesthetic. I do not wish to look at mounts."

I played " That game that shall not be named." There were mounts everywhere… flying mounts… ground only mounts… everywhere I looked… and Players had this tendency to ride them into banks… Into crafting stores, to the mailbox… and covered the NPC’s with their mounts to a point where trying to click the NPC ended up being an imprediment to game play.

I did not Like it then, I don’t Like the idea of mounts In this game now.

Other players want mounts, they are not currently available and the devs have stated they have no intention of providing them. a LOT of Players have said they also do not Like them, want them, or want to even see them.

It is up to the players that desire the Mounts to overcome all this resistance. They need more reasons than " because we want them."

Also, Invalidating everyone else’s opposing arguments with " you need better reasons than " I don’t Like them." " is untrue…. that is the ONLY reason I or anyone else needs. THAT is the reason you need to overcome… and " I want them." is not enough.

And saying " you need better reasons to exclude them…" won’t work.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

That’s an argument against introducing mounts. I like waypoints.
Also, i have noticed that you silently assumed that mounts would grant some sort of movement/speed bonus. This is bad, because it means they would become obligatory – also for the people that do not want them.
Which is why i don’t want mounts in the game – i would have no problem with them being only cosmetic, but talk long enough and all the people that want them eventually admit that they are after something more.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

Mounts would make no sense for this game. There are already multiple ways to increase movement speed through signets or swiftness buffs, and of course there are also waypoints for instant travel.

I can understand people coming in from other MMOs and expecting mounts just out of habit, but it honestly just wouldn’t serve any purpose in GW2. If anything, it will just divert resources from cooler aesthetic things like gear, and introduce more graphical glitches and model clipping for ANet to iron out.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: rian.7693

rian.7693

OMG reaalyyyyy???….
seriously we have Mount and in GW2 reeeeeaaaaaallly BIG mount exist in this game :

Mount alrady exist in GW2

if they add Mount, We are Asura The One and The Great Great Race and The Master Race in Tyra ... want “The B**kah H*M*N” become Mount…. and i believe Charr love too, “The B**kah H*M*N” become Mount…

if its not happen…

NO MOUNT…. no need them…

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: IIvIIozzie.9250

IIvIIozzie.9250

Also, i have noticed that you silently assumed that mounts would grant some sort of movement/speed bonus. This is bad, because it means they would become obligatory – also for the people that do not want them.
Which is why i don’t want mounts in the game – i would have no problem with them being only cosmetic, but talk long enough and all the people that want them eventually admit that they are after something more.

It doesn’t become obligatory, you don’t need to use them if you don’t want to, nobody would stop you. The majority of people do not want mounts that do nothing, of course people want them to do something more. What this whole argument boils down to is can Arenanet make mounts fun while also being balanced? I think that they can. I believe they have long considered mounts for the game and they’ve got some pretty solid idea’s for using them. All the hatred against this notion is pure prejudice.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Mounts CAN’T BE PUT IN GW2, because(wait for it), WPs/portals are the means of travel and ANET would lose one of their gold sinks becoming all but useless except for beginners, those that wouldn’t be able to afford them and those who don’t want them.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

I don’t really care either way for mounts, i just want default run speed to get a decent boost, specially in combat speed. The slow movement speed is one of the main reasons i barely touch wvw, hate dying and taking 10+ minutes to run back only to die again either as soon as i get back to the group or before i even get there. At the very least i want combat speed to be the same as regular speed.

But then again with the coming update it will be possible to make a alternate spec just for getting around which will be one of the first things i do when it comes out.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Speed boosts are not cumulative. They simply prioritize the highest single boost. Basically if you can give yourself swiftness, you dont need any other speed boosts.

Swiftness works well for only some builds and in group setting, a signet is better choice for roaming. I was aware that swiftness did not stack with other speed boosts, but I did not know that the rune bonus and a signet would not be usable, at all (makes the rune set much less appealing 60g is a lot to free an utility slot).

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

im for mounts they are cool in evry game and colecting them is realy awesome for me

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: UnYoYo.7402

UnYoYo.7402

i belive that if 1 guy go away becose mounts 10 will come so +1 for mounts… or flying mounts.

The fantasy absorb the happyness, and the
happyness absorb the fantasy.
If not, how u can be in one world at the same time?

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Sadistik.6543

Sadistik.6543

Im for mounts in this game, but only if they move at the walking speed of players’ characters. Also if they stop moving for 30 seconds they disappear and are put on a 30 minute cooldown before you can mount/ summon them again.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Posted by: Menaki.6329

Menaki.6329

Mounts CAN’T BE PUT IN GW2, because(wait for it), WPs/portals are the means of travel and ANET would lose one of their gold sinks becoming all but useless except for beginners, those that wouldn’t be able to afford them and those who don’t want them.

I’m not so sure about it. When you are riding between 2 spots, you don’t earn anything unless you start a fight.

But for the goldsink there many solutions: Maybe maintenance fee or fuel for mechanical mounts and for the living mounts you have to pay a monthly fee for the food and stable. And of course you will have to pay a lot of gold to get one.

Personally I would like to have both: a mount for each race and the easy waypoints. The mount doesn’t need a permanent speed boost, from time to time a sprint would be more than enough, maybe stick on the endurance, like the dodge.

But I don’t expect to see mounts in the near future, and I rather like to see new playable zones, and not a living story again. Mounts are not necessary at the moment.

[KILL] – Jade Quarry

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Nerelith.7360

It doesn’t become obligatory, you don’t need to use them if you don’t want to, nobody would stop you. The majority of people do not want mounts that do nothing, of course people want them to do something more. What this whole argument boils down to is can Arenanet make mounts fun while also being balanced? I think that they can. I believe they have long considered mounts for the game and they’ve got some pretty solid idea’s for using them. All the hatred against this notion is pure prejudice.

Where is your evidence that the developers have long considered mounts? The game was designed with zero mounts. They would have to totally re-invent the WP system to Include mounts that grant a speed boost which seems to be what you want.

I Just do not understand how there can be players that do Not see that the Moment any Mount is added to the game, that grants even a 25 % speed boost while Mounted… suddenly it becomes mandatory for everyone in the game to have that mount… even if they never wanted Mounts In the game to begin with.

This is so clear that it doesn’t need explanation since it is clearly a case of being wilfully obtuse…. repeating over and over and over " I don’t understand that, and I disagree." til the other side tires.

Here are the facts. The developers have stated there is no intent to include any sort of mount at this time.

A large Portion of the playerbase agrees with the developers.

That means that the ONLY reason we need to NOT want Mounts is.." because we do not want them." We do not need any other reason. We like the status quo. Therefore the burden of coming up with decent reasons for their Inclusion is yours.

Next:

“We want them” is not enough. You need better reasons.

Next:

Saying " you need better reasons to exclude them. to keep us from having them." is totally untrue. All we need is." we don’t want them." That ’s it.

Last:

Your main argument seems to be " we want them Inspite of Developer stated Intentions, and we want them even if no one else wants them."

No one is saying you cannot want things… after all…

The dead men in hell want snow-cones.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Dusty Moon.4382

As I said earlier in this thread, we have the way point and Portal system. It was established in in GW1 and continued in GW2. There were ‘situational’ mounts in GW1, such as the wurm in the Desolation but you could not cross that area without them, so it was mandatory and you could not use them in any other area.

Mounts are unnecessary in this game and more than likely a distraction. We will be moving to ‘megaservers’ and that means they need to make sure that the game code is even more optimized. All this is MORE important than some trinket that people use to say ‘LOOK AT ME!’.

[Suggestion] Mounts?

Nerelith.7360

I’m not so sure about it. When you are riding between 2 spots, you don’t earn anything unless you start a fight.

But for the goldsink there many solutions: Maybe maintenance fee or fuel for mechanical mounts and for the living mounts you have to pay a monthly fee for the food and stable. And of course you will have to pay a lot of gold to get one.

Personally I would like to have both: a mount for each race and the easy waypoints. The mount doesn’t need a permanent speed boost, from time to time a sprint would be more than enough, maybe stick on the endurance, like the dodge.

But I don’t expect to see mounts in the near future, and I rather like to see new playable zones, and not a living story again. Mounts are not necessary at the moment.

Mounts are not necessary at all. Nor are they desired except by a very vocal minority that just does Not seem to understand.

There are other games with mounts. They are approriate in the other games. They are not here. There are better things the devs can be working on… Like making rangers, engineers and necromancers more desired in dungeons for example…

Sorry, but My understanding of MMO’s is that Class balance is always among the most important things a dev team should be focused on.

Mounts are a trinket. Mounts are unnecessary with WP’s and Gates. Mounts since they are unnecessary amount to nothing more than a way for someone to stroke their… ego… some Might say overcompensation for shortcomings elsewhere.

Like the middle aged guy that buys a Ferrari. " look at me!!! Look at me!!!"

There are many more important things to do.. Mounts is like # 100 in a list of things to be concerned with.

(edited by Nerelith.7360)